Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (58) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 18, 2009 6:20 PM

Aug 2006
I just finished 2 series today. Shangri-La was just... ok. Some really good moments, but most of it just ok. The best part of the show was "Momoko-san", the main character's best friend, and a hilarious cross-dressing man. (The running gag about a transsexual's "silver jewels" ... lmao) He was awesome. Unfortunately, even his best and funniest moments couldn't get me to rate the series above a 7/10.

The other series I finished is quite a different story. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is about an earthquake (8.0 on richter scale) hitting Tokyo, and the devistation it causes. It follows a little girl and her little brother as they try to make their way home after the disaster. The emotional upheavals of this series brought me to absolute tears (especially the last few episodes). The only reason this series didn't garner a perfect 10 for me, is because the animation was not as top notch as I thought it could be. But the series and the character development was superb!! It's only 11 episodes, so if you haven't watched it... get it!! (But for those of you like me, bring a box of tissues.) A damn near perfect 9/10.
Sep 18, 2009 9:45 PM

Apr 2009
Chelle said:
The other series I finished is quite a different story. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Rukia recommended that. I was waiting for it to finish before checking it out.
Sep 20, 2009 4:16 PM

May 2009
Just finished watching Shuffle! barely 10 mins before coming to write here. It was a surprising ride to say the least. Starts off as what looked like a regular school romance series, but about halfway through the series... things shift, and it gains a level of depth I really didn't see coming. It bothered me just a tad that the focus all but dropped from some characters that were made to be center stage for the first half of the series. But after fearing they were going to mess things up (that fear surfacing faaaar too often as the series neared completion), I must say I'm satisfied with how things turned out. Only after completing the series did I feel it all balanced out. Cutting it a little close, but still balanced out.
midnightspecterSep 20, 2009 4:27 PM
Sep 20, 2009 4:42 PM

Aug 2006
Hmmm... I may have to reconsider then, midnight. I dropped Shuffle! after 5 or 6 episodes. It looked like it was going to be nothing more than an ecchi harem anime to me. >.<
Sep 20, 2009 5:16 PM

Sep 2008
I actually just watched the second episode of Shuffle this moring and was going to post in the "watching" thread that I didn't get why everyone was so in to it. So far it seem unspectacular even just taken as an example of the Harem genre.

I also finished Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 but wasn't as high on it as Chelle. I think it failed a bit in giving the really big earthquake visuals that you would think would be the feature of a series like this. It just should have had more wow factor than it did. There was however a great story twist that I didn't see coming at all.

Sep 20, 2009 7:27 PM

Aug 2006
I just finished "Antique Bakery." A light comedy, yet sometimes lightly dramatic series. Now, this series has been called "shounen-ai" and there were definitely some shounen-ai moments near the beginning, but less that half-way through, those ended. I dunno if I'd actually label this anime as "shounen-ai" as it had nothing to do with the male relationships. But I really did enjoy the series. I may not have gotten the ending I really wanted, but I felt satisfied none-the-less. ^_^

Note: The shounen-ai moments at the beginning were absolutely priceless and made me laugh my ass off on several occasions. <3 Ono
Sep 20, 2009 11:21 PM

May 2009
Chelle said:
Hmmm... I may have to reconsider then, midnight. I dropped Shuffle! after 5 or 6 episodes. It looked like it was going to be nothing more than an ecchi harem anime to me. >.<

In time I learned that anime, pretty much like a Yu-gi-oh card match (I'm addicted to the PC version, a guilty pleasure of mine, heh) won't be settled till you reach the very end. Sure, we get initial impressions, but it's rather common to see a series evolve beyond its initial outline, ne? Shuffle, had it continued as it was going in its first half, would have been a fully stereotyped harem series, and its rating would have dropped a tad in my eyes as it was still fun, but run of the mill. With the way the focus shifted to a more serious (even if a bit angsty at times) level, I say it saved itself. If anything, I recommend it now to see if that view applies for others as it did for me. Consider it a test ;)
Sep 21, 2009 11:42 AM

May 2008
as with a few people here, i also finished watching Tokyo magnitude and I really liked it too. I think I gave it an 8 but only because
But I agree with Chelle: have a box of tissue ready, especially the last episode
Sep 21, 2009 5:18 PM

Aug 2006
LOL katey. To me they didn't

C'est la vie. I loved it, though. ^_^
Sep 22, 2009 7:23 AM

Sep 2008
For my part

I just finished Hidamari Sketch and and Hidamari Sketch x 365 and loved them both. If you are a fan of slice of life schoolgirl shows, this is absolutely amongst the best of the genre. The one caveat is that you also have to like SHAFT's animation style as well. Just a great group of characters, my favoirte being the "eternally 17-year-old," cosplay freak, Yoshinoya Sensei with her well meaning yet inapropriate behavior and misplaced work ethic. I scorred the show 9/10.

Sep 23, 2009 7:56 AM

May 2008
well, at first,
Sep 23, 2009 11:33 AM

Apr 2009
I just finished Ghost Hound last night. And I gave it a perfect rating. It was an amazing work of story telling. After watching it, I am of the opinion that the story takes place in the same world as Ghost in the Shell, for several reasons. I'm actually kind of sad that its over.
Sep 23, 2009 11:42 AM

Dec 2008
Krimson said:
After watching it, I am of the opinion that the story takes place in the same world as Ghost in the Shell, for several reasons.
Or at least the same universe, which wouldn't surprise me, since Masamune Shirow created both of them.
Sep 23, 2009 12:31 PM

Apr 2009
OrlahEhontas said:
Krimson said:
After watching it, I am of the opinion that the story takes place in the same world as Ghost in the Shell, for several reasons.
Or at least the same universe, which wouldn't surprise me, since Masamune Shirow created both of them.

Well yeah, I discovered it in the anime relations of the Shirow Club. :p
Sep 23, 2009 9:11 PM

Dec 2008
Krimson said:
OrlahEhontas said:
Krimson said:

Well yeah, I discovered it in the anime relations of the Shirow Club. :p
I found it while looking for the stuff he's done over the years. Been a fan of his since somebody posted some of his stuff on the usenet (remember that, anybody?)

On topic, I just finished a fun little series, Android Ana Maico 2010. Not a deep and meaningful anime granted (the episodes are 15 minutes long for cryin' out loud), but quite well done. Most of the characters are surprising well developed by the middle of the series and the premise is semi-realistic. The nice thing is that the writers are smart enough not to spend to much time outside the studio where it takes place and focus their efforts on making a very good anime with-in the studio where Maico lives and works. The two OP's for this anime are both rather catchy and fun to listen to. Once again I wish that MAL allowed for mid-range grades for their system. This is better than the 7/10 I gave it, but not quite good enough to rate an 8/10, and I rarely round up.
OrlahEhontasSep 23, 2009 9:16 PM
Sep 24, 2009 5:40 AM

Aug 2006
Just finished 07-Ghost and enjoyed it thoroughly. I anticipated each and every episode and couldn't get enough.

Although it didn't end with a cliffhanger, I'm excited that it's wide open for another season. So much more to do and explore with young Teito Klein. **crosses fingers**

And Bishop Frau. Gotta love the cussing, smoking bishop who keeps "girlie magazines" hidden in the 'holy books'. Heh.

Much deserved 8/10. Definitely had the potential for 9/10. Would LOVE a new season.
Sep 24, 2009 6:15 PM

Aug 2006
Just watched the Letter Bee OVA which gives a bit of a sneak peak into the new fall series Letter Bee. If the series is going to be anything like this OVA, I'm glad my child insisted we watch it. ^_^
Sep 27, 2009 1:06 PM

Apr 2009
OrlahEhontas said:
On topic, I just finished a fun little series, Android Ana Maico 2010. Not a deep and meaningful anime granted (the episodes are 15 minutes long for cryin' out loud), but quite well done. Most of the characters are surprising well developed by the middle of the series and the premise is semi-realistic. The nice thing is that the writers are smart enough not to spend to much time outside the studio where it takes place and focus their efforts on making a very good anime with-in the studio where Maico lives and works. The two OP's for this anime are both rather catchy and fun to listen to. Once again I wish that MAL allowed for mid-range grades for their system. This is better than the 7/10 I gave it, but not quite good enough to rate an 8/10, and I rarely round up.

Since I am a sucker for androids, particularly gynoids, I started watching this.
Sep 27, 2009 7:19 PM

Aug 2006
I just finished Requiem for the Phantom. Easily, alongside 07-Ghost, the best show of the season. Fantastic story, character development, action, and just a squeeze of romance.

And the ending. OMFG, the final episode. Well. Watch it, if you haven't. 9/10
Sep 28, 2009 12:02 AM

May 2008
i just finished Canaan and Requiem too and i agree with chelle on Requiem; the ending...well, it left me speechless (actually, i was saying WFT?!?!).

I gave Canaan an 8/10 (the crazy psycho bitch and yun-yun were probably my fav characters and the reason i kept watching this show) and a 9/10 for Requiem.
Sep 28, 2009 5:49 AM

Feb 2009
Well I can now add Full Metal Alchemist season 1 to my watched list. Damn what a good series.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Sep 28, 2009 12:37 PM

Feb 2009
Gurren Lagann. Pure unmitigated epic awesomeness. Especially the final battle.

Sep 28, 2009 4:45 PM

Aug 2006
Sukunai said:
Well I can now add Full Metal Alchemist season 1 to my watched list. Damn what a good series.

Now you can start Brotherhood... and be in awe of the differences. I actually like Brotherhood better than the original, so far. ^_^
Sep 28, 2009 5:00 PM

Aug 2008
Sukunai said:

I seem to be finishing off Brotherhood before I get far with the first FMA (where I still look to buy the rest of the series).

Chelle said:
Now you can start Brotherhood... and be in awe of the differences.

With the little bit that I've seen of the first, the differences are already stark.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Sep 29, 2009 3:18 PM

Nov 2008
Just finished Jikan no Eve (Time of the Eve). A great bit of transhuman SF mixed with a bit of everyday issues. If we were to get a US DVD release, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Sep 29, 2009 4:03 PM

Mar 2009
JELEINEN said:
Just finished Jikan no Eve (Time of the Eve). A great bit of transhuman SF mixed with a bit of everyday issues. If we were to get a US DVD release, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I am half way through and really enjoying it - I like the angle of the three rules for robots

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Sep 29, 2009 4:15 PM

Feb 2009
Watched first show of Brotherhood. Hmm confused, someone said a lot of people were missing. I didn't observe anyone missing yet.

Clearly not an extension of first season. No I have not read the manga.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Sep 29, 2009 4:38 PM

Aug 2006
The first few episodes (probably 5 or 6) follow the first season almost exactly, just in fast forward. Once you get to the new stuff, though, you'll know it. And it gets GREAT from there on out. Just stick with it. I promise you it will be worth it, Sukunai.
Sep 29, 2009 6:12 PM

Nov 2008
slenderfall said:
I am half way through and really enjoying it - I like the angle of the three rules for robots

It was good to see that they acknowledge that the three laws require sophisticated thinking on a human level. They're essentially a set of morals, with all the complexity that that entails.

In addition to Asimov's laws, there were a lot of other easter eggs in the show for sciencie fiction fans.
Sep 30, 2009 12:16 PM

Dec 2008
Finished watching FLAG the other day and truly enjoyed it. Fairly realistic mecha, good action sequences and a damn good story line. It's nice to watch an anime listed as mecha where the mecha is NOT the main focal point of the series. And contrary to the title, neither is the flag, although everything revolves around the flag. The ending kind of sucks, but you kind of realize that everything in the series was leading up to that ending. Won't say anymore, except that if you haven't seen it, you should. This one is going on my list of animes to buy.
Sep 30, 2009 6:34 PM

Nov 2008
OrlahEhontas said:

It's nice to watch an anime listed as mecha where the mecha is NOT the main focal point of the series.

I see people say this all the time, but honestly, I'm hard pressed to think of any show that focused on the robots obove the plot and characters.

Agreed though that Flag is a great series. I really enjoyed the unique point of view and the animation itself is top notch.
Oct 1, 2009 8:02 AM

Sep 2008
I agree on Eve no Jikan. A brilliantly thought provoking show. And it looked beautiful too. I wish the series was longer.

Oct 1, 2009 12:47 PM

Mar 2009
Just finished Abashiri Ikka an OVA from 1991 - I thought the premise of the show was to centre round a mafia family and the daughter going to school - the first episode was quite promising but all goes down hill when the heroine starts school. I won't give away the plot as I am sure you can predict it when I say the teachers threaten rape and murder to most of the female students and the students fight back. There are a few jokes and I like the old style artwork but really not my cup of tea.

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Oct 1, 2009 2:37 PM

Nov 2007
Tears to Tiara.

Pretty good fantasy romp, but the references and inspirations are what interested me the most (enough for me to review the show anyway).
What a day! What a lovely Day!
Oct 1, 2009 3:10 PM

Aug 2006
oooOOoooo... the last episode for Tears is out? **runs off to find it**
Oct 1, 2009 3:37 PM

Dec 2008
JELEINEN said:
OrlahEhontas said:

It's nice to watch an anime listed as mecha where the mecha is NOT the main focal point of the series.

I see people say this all the time, but honestly, I'm hard pressed to think of any show that focused on the robots obove the plot and characters.

Agreed though that Flag is a great series. I really enjoyed the unique point of view and the animation itself is top notch.
Admittedly that was somewhat mis-spoken. What I probably should have said is that it's nice to watch a mecha anime that isn't written around the mecha. FLAG is written around the flag that was stolen and the search and return of that item. The special unit could have just as easily used CJ-5 jeeps to do the job and I don't believe it would've have changed the story at all. If you were to try and write out the mechas in Gundam, BGC or even Patlabor, the story would not be the same, if it worked at all.
Oct 2, 2009 7:59 AM

Sep 2008
Write out the Mecha in Patlabor and you have You're Under Arrest. ;-)

Oct 2, 2009 3:14 PM

Dec 2008
AccipiterF1 said:
But not as much fun, since Patlabor doesn't have the equivalent of Strike-Man, or "Motorcycle Mama".
Oct 3, 2009 1:53 PM

Aug 2006
Just finished 2 series: Valkyria Chronicles and Kaiji.

Valkyria Chronicles was an excellent series. Based off of a video game, it really surprised me. Most of those turn out to be just "meh" for me. I enjoyed this one. And it had the ending (sort of) that I wanted. I did shed some tears during this series, though. Finished as 8/10 for me.

Kaiji was a little bit of a let down, after hearing it praised so much in an earlier "Anime of the Month" nomination. I mean, I love the premise of the show. It had such great potential to be an awesome series. But the biggest problem for me was that it took them 26 episodes to do what they could have done in 13. Everything was so ridiculously drawn out that towards the middle of the series I found myself skipping past most of Kaiji's thought processes to get to the meat of the series. Only because I loved the "idea" behind the series and the potential I thought it had did I rate it a 7/10. If it was a typical anime, it probably would have scored a 5/10.
Oct 5, 2009 8:48 AM

Sep 2008
OrlahEhontas said:
AccipiterF1 said:
But not as much fun, since Patlabor doesn't have the equivalent of Strike-Man, or "Motorcycle Mama".

You mean Scooter Obasan! I created that character page so I could add her to my club. Also in the club, Noa Izumi.

Oct 5, 2009 6:05 PM

Dec 2007
Just finished a marathon of Reborn and..I have to say I probably am not going to watch anymore which is a shame because I actually did like the premise and some of the humor. But, the structure of the anime is such that well to break it down.

2minutes opening credits
5minutes recap
10minutes of story
3minutes of flashback to old story
2minutes ending credits

That is fine I suppose if you have a large stock of yet to see material but, now that I am caught up the story is just not good enough to justify waiting week to week for them to move the story along by miserly amounts.
Oct 5, 2009 6:50 PM

Feb 2009
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 -
Good show that started off with a bang, sagged in the middle, and picked up at the end

Overall a pretty decent show.

Oct 7, 2009 3:01 PM

Sep 2008
Just finished Canaan. Some really great, well animated action sequences throughout the show, and some very entertaining and memorable characters. But even with pretensions of an international crisis there never really was a serious enough reason behind all the fighting. The motives for the most part were petty and self-absorbed.

Oct 14, 2009 5:22 PM

Aug 2006
Just finished La Corda D'Oro ~primo passo~ and all it's OVA's. The series itself was great!! 9/10. The first OVA, was good, but nothing superb, 7/10. The second OVA, better, but not as good as the original series, 8/10. Definitely would recommend!! ^_^
Oct 14, 2009 10:07 PM

Jun 2009
ArnoldK said:
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 -
Good show that started off with a bang, sagged in the middle, and picked up at the end

Overall a pretty decent show.

I enjoyed this series as well. Loved how they handled the character death.

I just finished Sora no Manimani. Cute all round fun. Now I'm hooked onto stargazing.
---
ChibiSamuraiTV | My YT Channel | www.youtube.com/user/chibisamuraitv
Oct 16, 2009 3:41 AM

May 2009
Finished watching Akagi last night, but only got to posting today.
Watching this series, I couldn't help but be reminded of Hikaru no Go. Of how that show made me want to learn to play Go, and how this one made me want to know just why the characters kept gasping at every Mahjong hand that was shown.
But while Hikaru no Go was captivating, at its core, it was still targeted at a slightly younger audience. After all, the main character was a child, learning the intricacies of Go. There was a lot of lighthearted comedy, emotional school days, fillers, and the such. Akagi is in an entirely different field. This is about gambling. This is about staring the incredibly deceptive combo of luck and death right in the face and not flinching. And while I did a small double take at the character artwork, I quickly got used to it, and was drawn into the mood.
And in the end, the principles of Japanese Mahjong do seem just a little easier to grasp than Go, heh. I'm definitely recommending this to others.
But, I'll leave this with one negative note. This anime series doesn't have an ending. Seriously, it's like a salami that was just chopped clean at the butcher's. It literally stops in the middle of a Mahjong session. The only other time I felt this was when I watched Berzerk. And, just like Berzerk, I read that to know what happens, one should go read the manga. *shrugs* I'm not sure I'll do that, for the same reason I won't read a Yu-Gi-Oh manga. It just can't recreate the right mood.
Heh, and incidentally, I still play the Yu-Gi-Oh card game on my PC, all three games. Bloody addictive ;)
midnightspecterOct 16, 2009 4:05 AM
Oct 16, 2009 5:39 AM

Aug 2006
Hmmm... I loved Hikaru no Go, so I might have to check that out. But also, I was so disapointed by the end of Berserk... and if this one ends like that... I dunno if I was get that po'd again. >.< Berserk was definitely the most unsatisfying ending EVER to an anime for me.

As for the series I just finished, it's True Tears. What a great, emotional series. And although I didn't get the ending I wanted, I have to walk away giving it a 9/10. The characters pull you into their emotions and mental battles. If I had gotten the ending I wanted, it probably would have garnered a 10/10. LOL
Oct 16, 2009 10:03 PM

Jun 2009
Phew! I just finished watching Soul Eater. What a fun ride. I loved the chemistry between the three main teams (Soul/Maka, Black*Star/Tsubaki and Liz/Kid/Patty). It started to lag a little @ the 3/4 point but overall, it's a fun series.

I'll be imitating Excalibur every chance I get (BAKANA!). I just need his cane. Time to check out the fanfics.
---
ChibiSamuraiTV | My YT Channel | www.youtube.com/user/chibisamuraitv
Oct 17, 2009 3:02 AM

Jan 2009
Finished Phantom - Requiem for the Phantom a few days ago. The first couple of episodes had me hyped and then some. Unfortunately as the series moved on I got more and more disappointed. Such a shame, cause the series had such high potential.
IMO way too many episodes and practically no story. Was going to rate it 6, but the last episode changed my mind so I ended up rating it 7/10.
Oct 17, 2009 10:01 AM

Sep 2008
Rukia13 said:
I'll be imitating Excalibur every chance I get (BAKANA!). I just need his cane. Time to check out the fanfics.

It's BAKAME! ;-)

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (58) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Secret of Cerulean Sand (2002)

whiteflame55 - Apr 26

22 by whiteflame55 »»
46 minutes ago

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch ( 1 2 )

23feanor - Apr 2

51 by whiteflame55 »»
Apr 28, 5:34 AM

» Anime with adult main characters

zubby - Nov 30, 2023

6 by MeganeOverlord »»
Apr 25, 7:50 PM

Sticky: » New Member Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Oct 3, 2009

833 by MeganeOverlord »»
Apr 25, 7:35 PM

Sticky: » Interest Thread for a Group Watch ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

23feanor - Oct 26, 2020

290 by OrlahEhontas »»
Apr 24, 4:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.