Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (58) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 24, 2010 11:41 AM

Aug 2006
Just finished Welcome to the NHK!. What a ride!! It was as good as everyone told me it would be. Loved it!! 9/10. Yamazaki-kun = definite win! For me, he made the series!! (Satou-kun and Misaki-chan helped a little... lol)
Jan 24, 2010 2:44 PM

Nov 2008
Chelle said:
Just finished Welcome to the NHK!. What a ride!! It was as good as everyone told me it would be. Loved it!! 9/10. Yamazaki-kun = definite win! For me, he made the series!! (Satou-kun and Misaki-chan helped a little... lol)

I was very amused by the series final conclusion:
Jan 28, 2010 6:48 AM

Sep 2009
finally finished GTO last night... never have I had a series in hand and took thaaat long to complete watching...

what can I say about it... apparently not much, wasn't really a fan .. and am now wavering back in forth between a 6/10 and a 7/10. can't quite decide ;-)
Jan 28, 2010 3:44 PM

Aug 2006
Agree J_Guide. But when I was scoring it... I waivered between a 5/10 and a 6/10. LOL.
Jan 29, 2010 12:17 PM

Feb 2007
Just finished Slayers. Well, i've still got the movies left, but i watched all seasons of the anime and the OVAs. That sure was a fun ride, i'm gonna miss Lina-tachi!
Jan 29, 2010 4:17 PM

Nov 2007
Finished all of La Corda D'Oro, plus the special and the OVA. Nice show, and some great classical music, but it tends to take itself a bit to seriously sometimes. I have to say, I prefer Nodame, speaking of which, bring on Finale :P
What a day! What a lovely Day!
Jan 29, 2010 4:21 PM

Aug 2006
LOL Archie. You DO know that the first 2 episodes of Finale have been released? I'm trying to be good and hold out until it's finished. LOL. But I am d/l the episodes week to week... just in case I can't hold out anymore.

Right now... PoT is keeping me occupied. >.<
Jan 29, 2010 6:56 PM

Nov 2007
Pot is keeping you occupied? Really? Are you going to pass it around, and do you have anything for munchies?

:P

And yes, I have the first two episodes, but I'm going to wait until the whole series is done before I watch it. Oh, and did you know the manga, although finished, has a mini sequel called Opera-Hen. where Chiaki and Nodame go back to Japan? The first chapter's already out.
What a day! What a lovely Day!
Jan 29, 2010 7:27 PM

Aug 2006
Ha. I never read the manga... so shhhhhh. But yeah, I'm doing the same thing... trying to wait 'till it's done.

I loved La Corda D'Oro, but I have to agree with you. I liked Nodame much better. Thank goodness I got to watch Nodame on my own. The whole time during La Corda I had to put up with my daughter's fangirling over the little trumpet player. LMAO.

PoT = Prince of Tennis... smart ass. But you already knew that. **Passes the brownies to Orlah** :P
Jan 30, 2010 9:08 AM

Dec 2008
Just completed Hidamari Sketch and I have to admit I was not enthralled by it but it was a sweet story and had really cute characters. Althoug some of the episodes did not always make a lot of sense. Still, its worth watching the sequel too.
Chelle, glad you enjoyed NHK, it is awesome. I really enjoyed Misake.
May the Uguu be with you.

Feb 1, 2010 6:01 AM

May 2009
Just finished Toradora. All in all an enjoyable ride, but I couldn't shake the feeling that something in the series' momentum just shifted at the point where the intro song changed. Little details became focus points, and vice versa. And it made the second half of the series all the more interesting for it. But I can't deny that I adored the characters. All were fleshed out enough to really reach out to the viewer, personality wise. I was especially impressed with some of the facial expressions. Mm, the last time I felt this way was when I watched Futakoi. I'd recomend this to anyone liking a nice romantic slice-of-life anime.
Feb 1, 2010 6:26 AM

Sep 2008
I finished Slayers Next over the weekend, I didnt think it was as good as Slayers, though the last 8 episodes or so were pretty amazing and made up for the early part of the series being weak. I will be getting into season 3 this week now!
Feb 2, 2010 4:48 AM

Jul 2007
Just finished the movie The Day the Earth Moved... despite the ancient art, I cried like a baby nearly throughout the movie... T__T

I should've watched it before Fairy Tail... I guess I'll cheer myself up with some Gintama now...
Feb 2, 2010 9:41 AM

Dec 2008
Finished (finally) Code Geass (both seasons done now) last night. And immediately started swearing at the producers with the final line of the final episode. Thank Dog, I had Princess Nine in the bull-pen to re-watch so I could get the taste out of my mouth. That was all we needed was a possibility that that obnoxious twit could return for a third series to kick off the fanboys and -girls raving about the need for more. NO, I say! The series ended on the right note and does not need a further continuation or intercession by either LvB or C.C. Let it die in peace, dammit!
Feb 2, 2010 1:15 PM

Mar 2009
myth720 said:
Just finished the movie The Day the Earth Moved... despite the ancient art, I cried like a baby nearly throughout the movie... T__T

That sounds really interesting - will download now - thanks

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Feb 2, 2010 5:44 PM

Feb 2008
Finished watching Shigofumi last night. It started off really strong, was quite good in the middle and ended off on a bit of "Hmmm, is that what you really wanted to do?" kind of ending. I'm probably going to have the give the ending a second view and pay a bit more attention to what's being said (I watched it raw with no subs on R2 DVD).
Feb 2, 2010 11:10 PM

Feb 2007
d-yaro said:
Finished watching Shigofumi last night. It started off really strong, was quite good in the middle and ended off on a bit of "Hmmm, is that what you really wanted to do?" kind of ending. I'm probably going to have the give the ending a second view and pay a bit more attention to what's being said (I watched it raw with no subs on R2 DVD).

Those last couple of eps. felt kinda forced and detached from the rest.
Feb 3, 2010 9:10 AM

Dec 2008
Just completed Hidamari Sketch 365 and it was even better than the first series. It was much more polished than before and they really brought the characters out more. I really enjoyed Miyako, she was amazing, she really was a funnuy character with a really cute giggle about her. Definitely one of my favourite series.

Feb 4, 2010 6:57 AM

Sep 2008
Watched Ghost in the Shell 2.0 last night. Same old movie with remastered sound and video, and with some scenes redone in CGI. IMO, the CGI scenes detracted from rather than improved the movie, and were pretty unnecessary. The sound and video quality for the rest of the film was superb however, which made watching it well worth the time. They also re-recoded the dialog but I couldn't hear an appreciable difference in the performances, and I suppose it would take back-to-back viewings to really see if there is a difference in quality. The American producers, on the other hand, didn't bother to redo their dialog, which is a shame because I think would have been a good opportunity to tie the movie in with the excellent SAC cast, and because the original dub was a pretty lousy performance anyway. If you've never seen GITS, going with either is fine, but my preference will always be for the original version.

Feb 4, 2010 8:11 AM

Sep 2009
AccipiterF1 said:
the CGI scenes detracted from rather than improved the movie, and were pretty unnecessary.
I couldn't agree more, I felt the CGI scenes were a bit jarring in comparison to the rest and frankly, as you said, were completely unnecessary.

Some things simply don't need improving upon ;-)
Feb 5, 2010 8:14 AM

Sep 2008
Just finished TOP WO NERAE! aka GUNBUSTER. An excellent show, very much ahead of it's time. My only complaint is that 6 episodes maybe didn't give enough time for development of certain characters, though I guess that worked in terms of the theory of relativity Rip-Van-Winkle syndrome stuff in most cases. Now I'm going to have to re-watch the sequel.

Feb 5, 2010 8:57 AM

Feb 2008
^ And it's not on our Anime Relations list(??).
Feb 5, 2010 9:31 AM

Oct 2009
AccipiterF1 said:
Just finished TOP WO NERAE! aka GUNBUSTER. An excellent show, very much ahead of it's time. My only complaint is that 6 episodes maybe didn't give enough time for development of certain characters, though I guess that worked in terms of the theory of relativity Rip-Van-Winkle syndrome stuff in most cases. Now I'm going to have to re-watch the sequel.

You should also see the sequel, "TOP WO NERAE! II: DIEBUSTER", also very good, perhaps even better on some aspects. Those old Gainax shows are not made anymore, those combine fanservice with a very good story, now all we get is the fanservice minus the story most of the time.

EDIT: ah, noticed you'll see the sequel. I myself have rewatched both several times :)
londoFeb 5, 2010 10:17 AM
Feb 5, 2010 9:54 AM

Nov 2008
AccipiterF1 said:

It was originally planned as a TV series. If you really want to blow your mind, hunt down a copy of Aim for the Ace! (Ace wo Nerae!) and watch the first story arc.

Fortunately, then never made a sequel to Aim for the Top.
Feb 5, 2010 10:16 AM

Oct 2009
JELEINEN said:
AccipiterF1 said:

It was originally planned as a TV series. If you really want to blow your mind, hunt down a copy of Aim for the Ace! (Ace wo Nerae!) and watch the first story arc.

Fortunately, then never made a sequel to Aim for the Top.

Eto... Top Wo Nerae is a synonym for Aim for the Top and it does have a sequel, here. And it was originally an OVA like it's sequel, six episodes each.
Feb 5, 2010 12:06 PM

Feb 2007
Just finished Princess Tutu. Aww, what a lovely anime! I enjoyed it a lot.
Feb 5, 2010 1:40 PM

Feb 2009
So many anime series and I don't often know what I will end up finishing.

Just finished Chaos Head though and highly recommend it for those looking for a serious show, that makes you think, no panty titties silliness here.
12 eps long, and at by the end, you might well be questioning your very existence :)
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Feb 5, 2010 3:35 PM

Sep 2008
Alot of my friends didnt like Chaos Head but I did. That was a title like Umineko that seemed to generate alot of hate from the fanboys of the Visual Novel.
Feb 5, 2010 4:40 PM

Nov 2008
londo said:
Eto... Top Wo Nerae is a synonym for Aim for the Top and it does have a sequel, here. And it was originally an OVA like it's sequel, six episodes each.

Nope. Doesn't exist. Didn't happen. Just like there's no such thing as Highlander 2.
Feb 5, 2010 4:46 PM

Mar 2009
I never got Chaos Head, I found it rather banal

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Feb 5, 2010 6:09 PM

Sep 2008
God Highlander 2... what an abortion of a movie idea. I wonder what Sean Connery was thinking? That was like the worst movie he had made since... that one where he was with all those crazy naked women and a gigantic flying stone head. God I bleached the named from my mind but damnit was that a shitty film.
Feb 5, 2010 7:30 PM

Dec 2009
Skadi (55.3% Female) said:
God Highlander 2... what an abortion of a movie idea. I wonder what Sean Connery was thinking? That was like the worst movie he had made since... that one where he was with all those crazy naked women and a gigantic flying stone head. God I bleached the named from my mind but damnit was that a shitty film.

Not sure what you are talking about Skadi, there is no Highlander 2
Feb 5, 2010 7:37 PM

Dec 2008
Skadi said:
You wouldn't be referring to Zardoz now would you, Skadi? It's sort of like R.H.P.S. and Wizards, cult films from a long way back. You have to really like the genre to truly appreciate films like that. That and remember it was produced in 1974 where it had to compete with titles like "Blazing Saddles", "The Towering Inferno", "Young Frankenstein", "Earthquake", and "The Godfather: Part II" just to name a few.
Feb 6, 2010 6:11 AM

Sep 2008
Zardoz.. that would be it haha. That movie was terrible. Unless you like bad movies I dont see why anyone would find any value out of it. He made another pretty bad movie too in the 70s called Robin and Marion. The woman who played Marion I think just passed away actually a week ago or so. Now that I think of it he made alot of really crappy movies in the 70s.
Feb 6, 2010 8:30 AM

Dec 2008
Skadi said:
Zardoz.. that would be it haha. That movie was terrible. Unless you like bad movies I dont see why anyone would find any value out of it. He made another pretty bad movie too in the 70s called Robin and Marion. The woman who played Marion I think just passed away actually a week ago or so. Now that I think of it he made alot of really crappy movies in the 70s.
Well, he was trying to break the mold that the movie industry had cast around him of the suave secret agent and the only time he got a role in a major film for a while, he was in a cast of many, such as "Robin and Marion" or "A Bridge Too Far". It wasn't until the Highlander movie that his career really got back on track.
Feb 6, 2010 9:59 AM

Dec 2009
Well to be fair he has made over 100 films, some of them gotta Suck, like Never Say Never Again.
But Highlander is still one of my all time favorites.
Feb 6, 2010 11:54 AM

Sep 2008
I liked Never Say Never Again, I think it was better than the original.
Feb 6, 2010 3:35 PM

Dec 2009
Than the original? There was another version of Never Say Never Again (1983)?
or do you mean the original James Bond Movie, Dr. No(1962)?
Feb 6, 2010 4:01 PM

Sep 2008
Never Say Never Again is a remake of Thunderball.
Feb 7, 2010 3:06 AM

Nov 2008
Finally got around to finishing Haibane Renmei. Overall, it was a good series. I think it sags in the middle a bit, but the beginning and ending were well done. It felt very much like the setting itself was the main character, and I'd like to see more of it.
Feb 12, 2010 10:35 AM

Dec 2008
Just finished Real Drive and was both suitably impressed and somewhat disappointed. Disappointed in that it wasn't the standard Shirow fare with hard bitten detectives and machine personae or hard-bitten machine detectives either. Impressed that Shirow was able to do a series without resorting to his standard models and was able to put together a well meaning series. It was slow at the beginning and you keep waiting the Major Kusanagi type character to show up to liven things up, but once you realize she ain't coming and you settle into the storyline, it gets pretty good. However, this is not a series to marathon in one night. Like Arjuna, it has some very thought provoking ideas in regards to the environment around us and what we are, and what we could be, doing with it.

Because it dragged somewhat in the beginning, it never got good enough towards the end to pull it up any higher than an 8, and even than it was a low 8, 8 - 8.3 range.

PS: the fight scenes, as usual for Shirow, were excellent.
Feb 12, 2010 10:36 AM

Apr 2009
After some delays I finished Tsubasa Chronicle. I guess I need to watch the second series now.
Feb 12, 2010 11:12 AM

Feb 2009
Just finished Ouran High School.

... and it's way too short! :P I need more Ouran! More Haruhi! More Renge! More Tamaki being a spazz!

Feb 13, 2010 11:23 AM

Aug 2006
Yay!!! Arnold!!! Isn't that show awesome?!? <3<3<3 it!!
Feb 13, 2010 8:25 PM

Dec 2008
Just finished Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne tonight. Man! Talk about some seriously FUH-reaky stuff! Only in anime can the heroine of a show be turned into instant ground beef after getting sucked through a jet engine....and then live to talk about it!! ^_^

May the DESU be with you! Always!
Feb 14, 2010 6:24 AM

Dec 2008
Just completed Ef- A Tale of Melodies. Wow! talk about a roller coaster. I enjoyed Tale of Memories a lot, it did have a bit of a disjointed feel about it but as it got further into the series it started to fit into place. Melodies was different, whereas the story previously revoled around Chihiro, this time around its main focus was Yuuko who ultmately ties both series together. To say she is a tragic heroine is an understatement because her own story is really sad, in fact towards the end of the series you reach for the tissues and dont put them down.
Like the first it is beautiful in its backgrounds and in its music (watch the sea.. amazing), the story is great, although you do need a lot of concentration as it tends to shift between past and present, but it is well worth watching.
Its emotional, it reaches way down inside of you and touches emotions, it leaves you drained.
If I had seen this after Clannad After Story I would have been an emotional wreck.
Both series are well worth the watch. Seriously.
And that is MHO.

Feb 14, 2010 11:47 PM

Feb 2007
Finished School Rumble yesterday. It was pretty enjoyable because well, i like silly comedy, especially if it makes fun of HS romance.:P

Still, i don't exactly feel the burning need to watch the second season...
Feb 15, 2010 9:16 AM

Aug 2006
Although I know this will take a few hours to post... *groans*

Just finished Mobile Suit Gundam Wing! Great series. And I dislike mecha series, usually. (Thanks Xannieh for recommending this series to me).

It took me a lot longer than I had hoped to finish it. What with 2 computer outages... and even when my computer was working, I was watching this with my child, and I had to wait until she was ready to sit down and watch episodes with me. What can I say? Teenage girl... boys calling on the phone. I knew where her priorities were. LOL. And of course, I wasn't able to watch it without her... since she needed her Duo Maxwell fangirl fix. LOL. She's already going on and on about how she's going to miss him. LMAO.

Oh well. At least we still have Endless Waltz for her to get the last bit of her fix. LOL.
Feb 16, 2010 9:45 PM

Apr 2008
I watched Mnemosyne when it was subbed (that was the full name of the anime at the time - no idea why Funi released it as "Rin"). I got a kick out of it even though it was pretty crazy. I will likely grab the dvd(s) soon. What did you think about the quality of the US release?

Ouran is fantastic!! I'm reading the manga now.

Let's see... The last series I finished was Hatenkou Yugi. It was a fun little series - magic using girl on a journey accompanied by 2 older stronger men who are good at keeping her out of trouble. It's only 10 eps but at least it didn't have time to drag out or get repetitive. I appreciate that they left the "romance" aspect out. Maybe when she grows up in a few more years...
Feb 17, 2010 12:47 AM

Apr 2008
I'm like ducky. I recently finished Hatenkou Yuugi. It was cute but nothing special. If you want a cute short series with hints of romance, then this series is worth checking out.

I also just completed Neo Angelique Abyss seasons 1 & 2. Talk about your bishie eye candy. YUM! ^_^ I'm a Rayne fangirl now.
duotroubleFeb 17, 2010 2:21 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (58) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Secret of Cerulean Sand (2002)

whiteflame55 - Apr 26

23 by 23feanor »»
36 minutes ago

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch ( 1 2 )

23feanor - Apr 2

51 by whiteflame55 »»
Apr 28, 5:34 AM

» Anime with adult main characters

zubby - Nov 30, 2023

6 by MeganeOverlord »»
Apr 25, 7:50 PM

Sticky: » New Member Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Oct 3, 2009

833 by MeganeOverlord »»
Apr 25, 7:35 PM

Sticky: » Interest Thread for a Group Watch ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

23feanor - Oct 26, 2020

290 by OrlahEhontas »»
Apr 24, 4:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.