Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (58) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Dec 26, 2009 2:49 AM

Oct 2009
Just finished the last ep. of Darker than black 2. A happy-ish ending, leaving the door open to season 3, but I was left somehow unsatisfied, many questions are left unanswered. Oh well, can't complain about the production though, Bones did a good job at it.
Jan 1, 2010 9:26 PM

Nov 2008
I was finally able to finish Mouryou no Hako. Man, that was some really messed up stuff, but in a good way. A very dense story that could probably use a second time viewing to make sure I got it all, but I think I'll wait a bit before tackling it again.
Jan 2, 2010 7:22 AM

Aug 2006
Just finished Nodame Cantabile. 10/10 and it earned a spot on my favorite anime list. ^_^ Needless to say, I enjoyed it immensely!!

Now... onto the Paris chapter!! Woot!!
Jan 2, 2010 12:26 PM

May 2008
JELEINEN said:
I was finally able to finish Mouryou no Hako. Man, that was some really messed up stuff, but in a good way. A very dense story that could probably use a second time viewing to make sure I got it all, but I think I'll wait a bit before tackling it again.

was it subbed and where did you see it? i've been waiting to see the last episode forever!!!
Jan 2, 2010 5:03 PM

Nov 2008
kateykayy said:
JELEINEN said:

was it subbed and where did you see it? i've been waiting to see the last episode forever!!!

It was subbed. I sent you a PM with the link to where it's being hosted.
Jan 3, 2010 12:47 AM

Jul 2007
I saw the movie Summer Wars and it was pretty amazing *___*
I feel like watching it again already but I want to wait for better subs.... definitely something I'd want to buy on dvd.
Jan 3, 2010 6:27 AM

Sep 2008
Was the version of Summer Wars you saw the one with the Korean Hardsubs? I stated that one but found it too annoying to continue watching 5 minutes in.

Jan 3, 2010 7:55 AM

Jul 2007
Yeah, it was a little annoying so it took me a bit to get into the movie too, but I'm glad I didn't give up, it was a great movie and I enjoyed despite the korean.... I read a better non-korean version will be available only in a few months... :(
Jan 3, 2010 11:35 PM

Nov 2008
Since the guys at Anime Classic just finished subbing it, I marathoned the second half of Round Vernian Vifam. Sunrise did some excellent SF series back in the 80's, and this was one of them. I enjoyed it a lot. Now I'm probably going to tackle Super Bestial Machine God Dancougar next as I convert my tapes over to computer (I've got a VCR with a USB output now so I can get all my tapes preserved).
Jan 4, 2010 5:30 PM

Aug 2006
Just finished History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi!! Great shounen/fighting anime. Probably one of my favorites. One of the things I loved about this series is that none of the fights (except the final one) lasts more than 2 episodes. Some of it is very predictable, but for me, it didn't make it any less enjoyable. My favorite characters have to be the sadistic masters of Kenichi.

Unlike most martial arts shows, Kenichi learns not 1, but 5 or 6 different styles, and had a different master for each style. Each master was sadistic and smart-assed. LOL. One was even perverted (a plus for you guys out there) always snapping pictures of the big-breasted female leads. LOL.

Even the fan-service female characters had substance and personality (unlike a certain air-headed, big-boobed heroine of a popular shounen series *cough*Inoue*cough*). You never find yourself wanting to smack these girls around and knocking some sense into them, which I found refreshing!!

This series is, by no means, a "masterpiece" and would not earn a 9 or a 10 from me, but it earned a very strong 8. I hope some of you will check this series out!! It really is some great shounen fun!!
ChelleJan 4, 2010 5:36 PM
Jan 4, 2010 6:33 PM

Dec 2008
JELEINEN said:
(I've got a VCR with a USB output now so I can get all my tapes preserved).
What's the brand and model of that VCR? And how much? I too have a bunch of tapes that need to be preserved on digital media and I'm curious.
Jan 4, 2010 6:43 PM

Sep 2008
I read a manga over the weekend called Suck It. I would suggest you not read it unless your looking for inspiration to slit your own throat.
Jan 5, 2010 1:44 AM

Dec 2008
Finished Aria The Natural last night. Admittedly, the Aria franchise isn't for everyone, given its slow, languid, non-bombastic pace, but it's a lush and marvelous series with very likable characters. If you're willing to invest your time in a show that lacks mecha, explosions, DBZ like fighting or any of anime's baser elements, Aria is definitely worth watching! ^_^

May the DESU be with you! Always!
Jan 5, 2010 11:42 AM

Nov 2008
OrlahEhontas said:
JELEINEN said:
What's the brand and model of that VCR? And how much? I too have a bunch of tapes that need to be preserved on digital media and I'm curious.

It's put out by Ion and they call it a VCR 2 PC (I don't see a model number). I payed $30 for it on Woot, but I've seen it in stores for around $50.
Jan 5, 2010 5:43 PM

Nov 2007
Just finished Kemono no Souja Erin.

If anyone has a soft spot for Juuni Kokuki, Seirei no Moribito, Mysterious Cities of Gold, or any other show like that, then you should give that one a try. I liked it so much, I even wrote an essay on it :P
What a day! What a lovely Day!
Jan 5, 2010 6:25 PM

Aug 2006
Archaeon said:
If anyone has a soft spot for Juuni Kokuki, Seirei no Moribito, Mysterious Cities of Gold, or any other show like that, then you should give that one a try. I liked it so much, I even wrote an essay on it :P

***Runs off to put it on the "plan to watch" list. (I LOVED Juuni Kokuki and Seirei no Moribito ^_^)!!
Jan 5, 2010 10:02 PM

Dec 2008
JELEINEN said:
OrlahEhontas said:
JELEINEN said:

It's put out by Ion and they call it a VCR 2 PC (I don't see a model number). I payed $30 for it on Woot, but I've seen it in stores for around $50.
Thanks, I'll look into it.
Jan 6, 2010 5:07 AM

Aug 2006
Just finished Nodame Cantabile Paris Chapter. It was almost as good as the original, but a bit rushed for my taste. Would have loved to have seen more of Chiaki's interactions with his orchestra... and more music of course. But there was some nice romantic development between the 2 leads, so that made me happy!! ^_^
Jan 7, 2010 5:48 AM

Dec 2009
Finished Samurai 7 last night. Very good IMHO, even the mecha parts. Great art, good characters and a decent story made the 26 episodes very enjoyable. No filler eps all straight story arc. Not as bloody as say a Hellsing but definitely not as kid-gloves as say Bleach (people die; they don't get stabbed repeatedly only to be back next episode whole and hale).
Overall a solid piece of samurai anime, if that is your cup of oolong.
Jan 7, 2010 6:22 AM

Sep 2009
Samurai 7 is indeed awesome... glad you liked it :-)

a seamless mesh of ancient & modern... plus the music is great too!
Jan 7, 2010 4:58 PM

Aug 2006
ooOOOooo... Samurai 7... another one I keep intending to watch... damn... if I keep going, my plan to watch list is going to be worse than slender's... >.<
Jan 7, 2010 7:22 PM

Dec 2009
I am all for a Walk on the Wild Side, but Furi Kuri (aka FLCL) was one whacked out trip. 6 episodes of..... well hell I have no friggan idea. The characters were good, the animation was good, the music great, one of the best EP I have heard. The story, I am not even sure you can call it a story. I'm sure there's one there I mean they don't make these things on a drug fueled bender of a weekend to a peyote ranch in Southern Utah........or maybe they do.

I liked it but don't ask me to describe it.
Jan 7, 2010 10:20 PM

Dec 2008
Hakujou said:
I am all for a Walk on the Wild Side, but Furi Kuri (aka FLCL) was one whacked out trip. 6 episodes of..... well hell I have no friggan idea. The characters were good, the animation was good, the music great, one of the best EP I have heard. The story, I am not even sure you can call it a story. I'm sure there's one there I mean they don't make these things on a drug fueled bender of a weekend to a peyote ranch in Southern Utah........or maybe they do.

I liked it but don't ask me to describe it.
That's one of the series(?) that got me started d/ling dubs and subs. When I first watched it on CN:AS my first reaction was WTFO?!?, when I watched the second time on CN:AS it was still WTFO?!?. After I d/led it from KickAssAnime and watched it, I still went WTFO? and I think you're description of the peyote ranch in UT is perfect, But god, that is a fun ride.

As for what I just finished, Darker than BLACK and Darker than BLACK OAV(aka Ep26). Pretty much everyone here has seen it so I really won't add much other than I found the OAV to be better than the series. That is the direction I wish they had taken with the series instead of being all serious all the time. I mean, it's like the cast was written/designed for comedy, with the smiley mask and the talking cat. It just cries "Here is Comedy!" and they make it into a government conspiracy, again. 7 and 8 out of 10 respectively
Jan 10, 2010 4:48 AM

May 2009
Finally finished Kuroshitsuji. It's was.... interesting. I mean, the odd amalgam of lighthearted moments and dead serious ones, laughing one moment and suppressing a shudder the next. It took a little getting used to. But it was indeed an enjoyable view.

But you can be sure I'm very glad I started watching Toradora shortly after I passed this one's halfway point. I need a picker upper. And Taiga is just what the doctor ordered ;)
Jan 10, 2010 10:27 AM

Dec 2008
I have just completed Sola and it was excellent. A bit of a slow start, but overall I really liked it. It was beautiful from a visuial aspect, the main characters were great and it had nice music too. I dont think its eveybodies cuppa tea though.
Overall a 10 experience.

Now its back to our regular program: Haibane Renmei....
nixopsJan 10, 2010 10:33 AM
May the Uguu be with you.

Jan 10, 2010 8:40 PM

Dec 2008
Everybody is talking about Haibane Renmei these days. I enjoyed that one many moons ago. My most recently completed was Shigofumi, which I found very similar in tone. This one almost garnered a 9/10. If it had been just a touch longer it might have made it, or it might have taken it down to the low 8's. Tough to say. If you haven't seen it and you like the Haibane Renmei type of story, I highly recommend this one.
Jan 10, 2010 9:10 PM

Apr 2009
Took me a while, but I finally sat down and finished Honey and Clover.
Jan 12, 2010 4:05 PM

Dec 2008
Krimson said:
Took me a while, but I finally sat down and finished Honey and Clover.
Was it any good?
Jan 12, 2010 4:11 PM

Aug 2006
Honey and Clover was ok for me. Shinobu (I think that's his name) made the show. The rest of it was good, but I just had a big problem with that one girl looking like she was 8 years old (even though she is supposed to be 18) and having 2 guys in love with her. It just seemed weird to me.

But overall, a decent anime!! Could have been much better, IMHO, though. I always catch hell for that. LOL.
Jan 12, 2010 4:17 PM

Sep 2008
Hagu.......

Kawaii Chibi Hagu!

Hagu-Chan Dai Suki!
AccipiterF1Jan 12, 2010 4:26 PM

Jan 12, 2010 4:41 PM

Apr 2009
Yeah, Hagu was amusing. Not to mention she's voiced by Haruka Kudou (Haruka in Noein and Sayu in Death Note), who was the reason I watched it in the first place.
Jan 13, 2010 3:39 AM

Feb 2007
H&C is my favourite slice of life anime ever, i love it a lot. Maybe because it kinda reminds me of myself when i was in my early twenties, though i was much more like Yamada than Hagu back then...

Hagu is supposed to be this quixotic, painfully shy character who is only able to express herself through art, so her looks were fitting IMO. And well, it's just the style of the mangaka. If you looks at her other works, there's always at least one character like that.
Jan 14, 2010 5:57 PM

Aug 2006
I just finished Ristorante Paradiso. I don't know what to say. What a refreshing slice-of-life series. It takes place in Rome, Italy. It's a nice, slow-paced series about life, love, and food! ^_^ The main characters (except for the lead female character) are all middle-aged, which in itself, is a great change of pace.

In this short series, it does a great job of dealing with finding love, losing love through both divorce and death, and a beautiful job of showing romantic feelings of a May-December relationship. I can't recommend it enough. Y'all should check it out! You won't be disappointed!! Definitely re-watchable. :)
Jan 15, 2010 2:49 AM

Feb 2007
Chelle said:
I just finished Ristorante Paradiso. I don't know what to say. What a refreshing slice-of-life series. It takes place in Rome, Italy. It's a nice, slow-paced series about life, love, and food! ^_^ The main characters (except for the lead female character) are all middle-aged, which in itself, is a great change of pace.

I enjoyed Ristorante Paradiso a lot though i would have enjoyed it even more if the romance would have been between the guys...:P, pasta, wine and sexy men, yay~!XD
Jan 15, 2010 4:24 AM

Aug 2006
kuroraka said:
though i would have enjoyed it even more if the romance would have been between the guys...:P

ROFLMAO. I found myself thinking that a couple of times, myself. >.<
Jan 15, 2010 7:53 AM

Sep 2008
I actually thought the show might veer that way too, even if just a little bit, but it never did.

Though she was young, even the main character wasn't a child so the series was a nice change of pace from the norm of super powered, shrieking, middle-school brats. The only thing I didn't like about it was the creepy standard Shojou character design mouths.

Jan 17, 2010 6:49 PM

Dec 2009
JUST finished Kanon(2006) and I said it before this saccharine anime had to have an underlying evil-ness to it. And holy crap did it. I don't normally get emotional over these things but my god was that a good anime. I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats.

Can't say it enough this anime is in my tops list, easily.
Jan 17, 2010 7:52 PM

Sep 2009
Awesome Hakujou... you seem to have been hit by it just as much as I, and many others here :-)
Jan 18, 2010 5:36 AM

Aug 2006
YES!! Hakujou!!! Kanon was an awesome series!! Now... onto Clannad for you, young man!! Go forth!! GO!!!
Jan 18, 2010 6:47 AM

Dec 2008
I just finished something called Aishiteruze Baby. It was an odd one, artwork was not great and the story was pretty weak, but as I got further into it it started dealing with all sorts of things like child abuse, single parents, suicide, death and relationships etc. It also had the biggest collection of dysfunctional female characters I have ever seen in an anime. But, realistically those characters were closer to real life than most I have seen in any anime (where every school is perfect). It was an odd watch, I wont say I enjoyed it, but it did leave an impression at the same time.

Jan 18, 2010 7:53 PM

Apr 2009
Just finished Mushishi.
Jan 18, 2010 8:52 PM

Sep 2009
Krimson said:
Just finished Mushishi.
One of Chelle's & many other's fave's .. I keep hemming and hawing around picking it up or not... seems like enough people with good taste really liked it, what were your thoughts on the series?
Jan 18, 2010 8:59 PM

Apr 2009
Its very tranquil and easy going. Each episode leaves you thinking about it for a while. The story telling is amazing, the scenery beautiful, and the music enchanting.
Jan 18, 2010 11:44 PM

Feb 2007
Krimson said:
Its very tranquil and easy going. Each episode leaves you thinking about it for a while. The story telling is amazing, the scenery beautiful, and the music enchanting.

Agreed. It's an absolutely beautiful anime with an almost meditative feel to it. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Jan 19, 2010 4:33 AM

Aug 2006
Yay, Krimson!! ^_^ It was actually at my #1 spot for the LONGEST time. Mushishi will always be near and dear to my heart!! I'm glad you enjoyed it!!
Jan 19, 2010 5:41 AM

Feb 2009
Just this past weekend I finished School Rumble season 1. Good lord, that was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. Hope Season 2's just as good...

Jan 20, 2010 10:06 PM

Apr 2009
Just finished Spice and Wolf. Kind of had to marathon through it, I couldn't stop watching.
Jan 21, 2010 11:23 AM

Dec 2008
Just finished the first series of Nodame Cantible and I was awestruck. It was an amazing piece of work with excellent characters and music. Phew.. what a rush, I also had to do a last minute marathon as I could not put it down towards the end...

Jan 22, 2010 4:45 PM

Nov 2007
@ nixops

You should read the manga, as it's just as funny as the anime.

Just finished Taishou Yakyuu Musume, Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Guin Saga.

Baseball Girls is a nice bit of girl power fluff, only without the angry sentiments and with cuter imagery.

Guin Saga, well, what can I say. It's based on the longest novel series in the world (126 books, all written by the same person), and while there's lots of questions left unanswered, the anime is essentially just a drop in the ocean. Still, it's pretty good as an introduction, and if they make another series or two, then this may actually rival LoGH amongst others.

And, Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Wow. Graphics may be dated, but the story and characters are superb.
What a day! What a lovely Day!
Jan 22, 2010 6:16 PM
Oct 2008
i just finished YUGO THE NEGOTAITOR & THE ARE MY NOBLE MASTERS ,yugo was kinda like watching a cross between a super detective and a masochistic macgiver
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (58) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Secret of Cerulean Sand (2002)

whiteflame55 - Apr 26

23 by 23feanor »»
5 hours ago

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch ( 1 2 )

23feanor - Apr 2

51 by whiteflame55 »»
Apr 28, 5:34 AM

» Anime with adult main characters

zubby - Nov 30, 2023

6 by MeganeOverlord »»
Apr 25, 7:50 PM

Sticky: » New Member Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Oct 3, 2009

833 by MeganeOverlord »»
Apr 25, 7:35 PM

Sticky: » Interest Thread for a Group Watch ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

23feanor - Oct 26, 2020

290 by OrlahEhontas »»
Apr 24, 4:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.