Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (58) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 17, 2009 10:07 AM

Sep 2009
Looking for advice…

I recently bought Mai-HiME on a whim.. got a great price on a complete 7-disc set and honestly wasn’t expecting much other than to simply be somewhat entertained for a few days. To make a long story short, for me the series was Remarkably Better than I had anticipated and turned out to be Very Entertaining. Don’t get me wrong, it certainly had several flaws and by no means belongs up there with any of the Masterpiece’s .. but going into it expecting to give it a 5 or 6, I was very happy afterwards to give it like an 8 or 9.

Now here’s where I need the advice.. Does Mai-Otome completely suck? And having just looked that up, I also found Mao-HiME .. what the hell is that? .. on a side note, I couldn’t help but notice that Mao-HiME had plenty of users listed in the ‘Recently Watched By’ section, which seems ridiculous for a series that is listed as ‘Not Available/Not Yet Aired’ ;-)

Anyhow.. back to Mai-Otome .. there’s a brand new My-Otome Complete Collection (Anime Legends Set) coming out next week for under $40. And although there are few decent reviews here on MAL, I also hear a lot of negative about the Otome spin-off as well. One friend told me to buy it, but not to expect to really enjoy it as it’s really only good for reminiscing over how much better HiME was. That doesn’t ring home to me as a rousing seal of approval worthy of shelling out $40 on .. so I thought I’d throw it out to you guys…

Any thoughts?

Oct 27, 2009 6:49 AM

May 2009
Through an interesting chain of events involving a crossover fanfic, I came to watch Ah! Megami-sama (the 24 ep tv series, not the 5 ep ova) in one sitting. What can I say, I'm a hopeless romantic at heart, and Belldandy provides that in spades. Skuld's antics did start to feel a little tedious at times (*gets trampled by a stampede of Skuld fans*) but overall the series was a delight. I dunno, I suppose the top spot for romance in my mind will always be filled with Aoi from Ai Yori Aoshi, but who knows... if I'd watched Megami first, that role may have been reversed. Recommended to all lighthearted romance fans.
Oct 27, 2009 10:44 PM

Jun 2009
AccipiterF1 said:

It's BAKAME! ;-)

Ah. Gomen and thanks.

I finished Ga-Rei Zero last night after work. The heroine loves Pocky. Man what a tragic series.
---
ChibiSamuraiTV | My YT Channel | www.youtube.com/user/chibisamuraitv
Oct 30, 2009 7:28 PM

Nov 2007
Just finished watching CENCOROLL. Quite an imaginitive, surreal sci-fi anime, and it's almost entirely made by one person.
What a day! What a lovely Day!
Oct 31, 2009 7:46 AM

Sep 2008
I saw that too and liked it. Nice art direction and some creative alien monster mecha thingies. The story is too short to get anything much out of it though. If they turned it into a series, I'd watch it.

Oct 31, 2009 10:54 AM

Jun 2009
I finally finished watching Twelve Kingdoms (AKA Juuni Kokuki).

Beautiful series, although I would have preferred they complete the storyline for one of the kingdoms rather than do a recap episode for the final episode. Or perhaps an epilogue that takes place 100 years into the future.

But at the time, the animators couldn't. Dang, I wish it and Guin Saga would get a second season to complete their stories.
---
ChibiSamuraiTV | My YT Channel | www.youtube.com/user/chibisamuraitv
Nov 1, 2009 4:22 AM

Dec 2008
Finished Ghost Hunt Friday night. For the most part, I thought it was a highly interesting series with an eclectic cast of ghost hunters which included a monk who moonlights as a rock musician, an arrogant shrine maiden, a locally famous medium and, amazingly enough, a Catholic priest from Australia! The stories were good and scary, highly interesting and filled with plenty of chills that kept me watching just to see what would happen next. Two thumbs up on the show!

May the DESU be with you! Always!
Nov 1, 2009 7:21 AM

Jan 2009
Finished A Tree of Palme.
Liked it so much I just had to watch it all over. Story is confusing, yet interesting. The beautiful artstyle is captivating.
Nov 12, 2009 2:42 AM

May 2009
Finally finished the second season of AMS. I won't say I'm disappointed with Sorezore no Tsubasa, but the way it ended... I dunno. The first season left us with a sense of completion at its end, and this one left me feeling... not cheated really, but I was expecting more. I'd go as far as to say that the second season felt like a giant, fun, but nonetheless filler. Don't get me wrong, it was a delight seeing all the characters again, and some episodes were truly lovely. Skuld's coming of age was adorable, and Noble Scarlet is the cutest thing I've ever seen. And Hild.... let's just say that when I saw her, the main thought was "mon Dieu, si cela est le Diable, laissez moi aller en enfer". Rough translation: "God, is that's the Devil, then let me go to Hell". Heh. But really, the usual pattern I came to expect wasn't really felt this time over. You know, the "first everything goes well, then something bad happens at about 2/3 into the show that puts the main cast in great strain, for them to overcome it by the end of the show".
Nov 12, 2009 6:50 AM

Dec 2008
midnightspecter said:
Finally finished the second season of AMS. I won't say I'm disappointed with Sorezore no Tsubasa, but the way it ended... I dunno. The first season left us with a sense of completion at its end, and this one left me feeling... not cheated really, but I was expecting more. I'd go as far as to say that the second season felt like a giant, fun, but nonetheless filler. Don't get me wrong, it was a delight seeing all the characters again, and some episodes were truly lovely. Skuld's coming of age was adorable, and Noble Scarlet is the cutest thing I've ever seen. And Hild.... let's just say that when I saw her, the main thought was "mon Dieu, si cela est le Diable, laissez moi aller en enfer". Rough translation: "God, is that's the Devil, then let me go to Hell". Heh. But really, the usual pattern I came to expect wasn't really felt this time over. You know, the "first everything goes well, then something bad happens at about 2/3 into the show that puts the main cast in great strain, for them to overcome it by the end of the show".
Nicely put. I don't quite agree with the filler season line, since I felt it was more like the creators all had a direction they wanted to go in mind, but that there were too many creators and the season was all over the place because of it. Either that or they were introducing a number of story-lines to be finished up in the third season that hasn't appeared (yet) and since the manga is listed as On-going, I, for one, continue to hold out hope. After all, it was at least 10 years between the first OAV and the first season. We need to see more of Noble Scarlet and they need to finish up the Hild (my response was "Homina, homina, hom...) plot arc (she is up to something).
Nov 14, 2009 9:19 AM

Aug 2006
I wanna finish a series. T_T As it is, I've been re-watching my Mushishi DVDs with new vigor... well... because I have no other anime to watch (as my X DVDs and my Saiyuki DVDs are with my oldest child.)
Nov 14, 2009 11:24 AM

Mar 2009
I actually just finished Rec something I would usually keep a safe distance away - but I really enjoyed its storytelling - probably would have droped it if it was any longer but i felt all mushy inside

I must be getting soft in my old age

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Nov 14, 2009 2:33 PM

Sep 2008
I liked REC. Though it eventually got a bit annoying with the lack of progress with their relationship. I mean they had sex in the first episode and then she plays the typical anime bashful heroine.

I saw a couple 80s OVA that were very good. Laughing Target and Fire Tripper. I was very pleasently surprised. Laughing Target was actually quite creepy and scary. I recommend them both, especially if your feeling nostaglic for the 80s.
Nov 14, 2009 5:06 PM

Sep 2008
The REC Manga is 10 volumes ongoing, so lots of development in just nine 15-minute episodes was pretty much impossible. I enjoyed it anyway.

Nov 16, 2009 12:53 AM

Mar 2009
Thanks to J_Guide who got me into Oh! Super Milk-Chan, yes it is very repetative, himour rather surreal and the lead charcter is not a very nice person - but I loved it. I just watched a couple of eps a day but it cheered me up no end

I also recommend Laughing Target as it was certainly creepy - did not like Fire Tripper as much but still both great if you fancy an 80's groove thang

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Nov 16, 2009 11:10 AM

Nov 2007
Damn you Slender! I thought there was a bug on my screen :P
What a day! What a lovely Day!
Nov 16, 2009 5:37 PM

Sep 2009
slenderfall said:
Thanks to J_Guide who got me into Oh! Super Milk-Chan, yes it is very repetative, himour rather surreal and the lead charcter is not a very nice person - but I loved it. I just watched a couple of eps a day but it cheered me up no end

Ha... now here I was being helpful and didn't even know it ;-)

Milk-chan is cleverly surreal, totally hilarious and over-all completely entertaining... glad you liked it my friend! It always cheers me up too :-D
Nov 16, 2009 6:20 PM

Sep 2008
Thats interesting I was looking for Super Milk-chan today. But I was looking for the older version too from 1998. Its posted on youtube but all those looks like they are from the 2000 series. I was thinking about buying the DVDs, does anyone own them? The description was a bit vague but it seemed like the original series was included on the DVDs as well. Anyone own them who can confirm that? If thats the case I will probably just buy them. The clips I saw on youtube looked hilarious.
Nov 16, 2009 6:37 PM

Sep 2009
yup... I own all 4 volumes... completely worth the investment!

each volume has two discs... One disc of the Japanese Broadcast episodes + the original "Vintage" episodes from 1998. then the other disc features the "Americanized" episodes with western pop culture references and short live-action ongoing skits featuring ADV voice cast members. While I've only watched the 4 Americanized discs like once... I've watched the 4 Japanese broadcast version discs along with the Vintage episodes like at least ten times now.
Nov 16, 2009 11:01 PM

Dec 2007
Just finished Baccano I think I liked it. Though to be honest I think the overuse in the jumping from character to character style of story telling hurt the show more then it helped.
Dec 17, 2009 8:50 PM

Apr 2009
Just finished Kampfer and all I have to say is WTF?

Dec 17, 2009 10:39 PM

Apr 2009
And I just finished Nyan Koi and am a little sad its over. How am I giong to get my cat fix nyao?
Dec 21, 2009 7:12 PM

Aug 2006
Just finished Nyan Koi last night. So-so. Typical harem. Not sure I'm interested in the 2nd season. 6/10
Dec 22, 2009 8:19 AM

Sep 2008
I liked Nyan Koi better than I thought I would. It was quite good when the cats were screwing with Junpei, but not so good when it fell into Harem cliches. Still, 7/10 and hopes that if there is a second season it will focus more on the cats.

Dec 22, 2009 7:14 PM

Sep 2009
Finished both Clannad and Clannad: Another World, Tomoyo Chapter today .. a beautiful touching story so far, but I have to say I’m a bit dismayed as I cried like an emotionally inept child while watching both Kanon (2006) & Air, but only got slightly teary-eyed with Clannad.

As I said, I found the story beautiful and endearing .. but honestly not nearly as powerfully emotionally driven as both Kanon or Air. and as far as the Tomoyo Chapter episode,

A few of my friends as well as Chelle have said that one needs to see Clannad in order to see Clannad ~After Story~, which is apparently more epic and is described by many as life changing.. am starting ~After Story~ today, so I really hope so :-)
Dec 22, 2009 7:28 PM

Aug 2006
The tears will come with ~After Story~. You should cry many many manly tears. ^_^ Enjoy!!
Dec 22, 2009 11:18 PM

Oct 2009
Didn't cried in ~After Story~, but that can be explained, by the time I saw it I had already finished the Clannad Visual Novel, so I knew what was coming.

Having also seen Kanon and Air earlier, they made more of an impression to me than Clannad as an anime. Still, cried a lot while I was reading the ~after story~ part of the VN. Good thing I can lock my room...
Dec 23, 2009 6:07 AM

Dec 2009
Just finished Toradora! I have to say one of the better endings to a rom-com. I had just put in a marathon of Rumiko Takahashi anime (All Maison Ikkoku and then Kimagura Orange Road and a ways back Ranma 1/2 (ugh)) And as far as the typical boy meets girl in first episode of course they are gonna end up together plot, the story was well done. There was some slow parts but the ending, which seems to get blasted by the 'younger' crowd was great and had several levels to it's wrap up. The character development was standard, nothing out of the ordinary, but you still developed a rapport with them. The opening song is also freakishly catching and i find myself humming it, much to the quizzical stares of my dogs.
Dec 23, 2009 9:20 AM

Feb 2009
Had it for a while, just finished Minami ke (I have the other 2 seasons).

Hmm are we guys really so boring that they only ever do series based on the daily silliness of sisters and girlfriends?

Oh well, it WAS funny considering one girl is actually a boy trying to be near to an older girl and one boy is a girl filling in the role of a honorary brother. Yeah you just can't get this in cartoons.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Dec 23, 2009 12:28 PM

Apr 2009
Sukunai said:
Had it for a while, just finished Minami ke (I have the other 2 seasons).

Hmm are we guys really so boring that they only ever do series based on the daily silliness of sisters and girlfriends?

Oh well, it WAS funny considering one girl is actually a boy trying to be near to an older girl and one boy is a girl filling in the role of a honorary brother. Yeah you just can't get this in cartoons.

Mako-chan is hilarious. In fact I liked all the characters. There might be some more of the other Minami family (the brothers) in the later seasons. Its kind of all mushed together in my head. And anything with Hosaka is classic. Don't forget to check out the one shot "Betsubara" when you are finished.
Dec 23, 2009 5:55 PM

Aug 2006
Just finished 11 Eyes. It was ok. It had it's thrilling moments, but overall, nothing to write home about. And the lead female character was annoying as hell. I just wanted to smack the hell out of her and tell her to get over herself. 7/10.
Dec 23, 2009 8:02 PM

Sep 2009
Jusenkyo_Guide said:
Finished both Clannad and Clannad: Another World, Tomoyo Chapter today .. a beautiful touching story so far, but I have to say I’m a bit dismayed as I cried like an emotionally inept child while watching both Kanon (2006) & Air, but only got slightly teary-eyed with Clannad.

As I said, I found the story beautiful and endearing .. but honestly not nearly as powerfully emotionally driven as both Kanon or Air. and as far as the Tomoyo Chapter episode,

A few of my friends as well as Chelle have said that one needs to see Clannad in order to see Clannad ~After Story~, which is apparently more epic and is described by many as life changing.. am starting ~After Story~ today, so I really hope so :-)
So what can I say... Clannad ~After Story~ is overall magnificent in every respect. Started off a little bit sluggish, but then hit like a ton of bricks .. and really in the long run saved the whole series for me. The last half of ~After Story~ is every bit as powerfully emotionally driven as both Kanon and Air are.

And as for the Kyou Chapter

Overall, I rated them as follows
Clannad 9/10
Clannad ~After Story~ 10/10
Clannad: Another World, Kyou Chapter 7/10
Clannad: Another World, Tomoyo Chapter 8/10

and ~After Story~ definitely earned a place in the Top-5 on my profile!
Dec 23, 2009 8:37 PM

Sep 2008
I agree with your thoughts on Clannad A/S. Despite some annoyances..

Because of those things it wont ever crack my top 5 or even top 10.

Also on Kyou chapter... I agree with your thoughts as well. Actually that pairing I wouldnt have been upset with as much as I love you know who.
Dec 23, 2009 9:04 PM

Sep 2009
Skadi said:
I agree with your thoughts on Clannad A/S. Despite some annoyances..

Because of those things it wont ever crack my top 5 or even top 10.

Also on Kyou chapter... I agree with your thoughts as well. Actually that pairing I wouldnt have been upset with as much as I love you know who.
I couldn't agree more Skadi ..

By comparison,
Dec 23, 2009 9:25 PM

Sep 2008
Which makes it all the more annoying. Why should Kyou get one and not her. Despite it all I still loved it alot. You could feel the love between them but it just would have been nice to see it more.

On another note, I just finished Kodomo no Jikan. I have to say I was not expecting to like it, but I did. On its whole controversial plot and stuff I am left wondering what the fuss was all about. Sure 3rd graders with that kind of detailed knowledge of sex and relationships is a bit unrealistic but really the loli fan service was not outrageous nor was it something we havent seen in hundreds of other mainstream anime. My creep-o-meter never went off while watching this.
Dec 23, 2009 11:26 PM

Oct 2009
Regarding Clannad, there were no such mother/daughter scenes in the Visual Novel either, Kyo-ani followed closely with the anime.

Finished 11eyes last night. One of the most crap anime I ever saw, big waste of time. The lead female should have been shredded to pieces killed, instead she gets a happy ending. GRRR!
Dec 23, 2009 11:33 PM

Apr 2009
A lot of people were complaining about 11eyes. IMO, they should ask for a refund.
Dec 24, 2009 12:55 AM

Apr 2009
Oh, and I just finished Higashi no Eden.
Dec 24, 2009 6:43 AM

Sep 2008
Krimson said:
A lot of people were complaining about 11eyes. IMO, they should ask for a refund.

Nah, they just should have dropped it after episode 6 like I did.

Dec 24, 2009 8:58 AM

Apr 2009
Personally I enjoyed it, but I'm starting to learn that MAL is not always the best place to share one's opinions, hence my refraining from doing so with Eden.
Dec 24, 2009 9:09 AM

Sep 2009
Skadi said:
Which makes it all the more annoying. Why should Kyou get one and not her. Despite it all I still loved it alot. You could feel the love between them but it just would have been nice to see it more.
The love between them was without question expressed in many ways, but the lack (for the most part) of real intimacy was also apparent.. and at times felt a little awkward. despite that though, there were still many touching moments throughout the series, not only between them, but with many characters.

one of the most moving moments for me
Dec 24, 2009 9:47 AM

Oct 2009
It's about the end of Fall '09 anime season, today I finished Umineko no Naku Koro ni, I was not really impressed with it.

The 2 last episodes of Kuroshitsuji were finally released from Shinsen, at last I finished that excellent series.

Now I'm about to finish Seitokai no Ichizon, others should follow soon.
Dec 24, 2009 10:30 AM

Sep 2008
So you're saying you liked 11eyes and didn't like Higashi no Eden? Hmm. How novel of you. ;-)

Seriously, I've learned never to take people's opinions personally. You can't make people like or dislike what you like or dislike, so it's worth the time to get worked up over it.

Dec 24, 2009 11:13 AM

Apr 2009
I was just recently reminded why I don't hang out with fandoms IRL anymore. I'm one of those people who just enjoys stuff, without any desire to pick it apart. I used to be a member of the local Star Wars fan group, but I like the prequels so you can see that would be a problem. Same with the local anime group. I like Haruhi, so why would I want to be around people who constantly dump on things I enjoy? Its the same with Doctor Who and Star Trek fandom. I won't go within 100 yards of other Trekkies anymore. So in that respect, I guess I'm not really a fan of such things. Hence realizing every so often that saying nothing at all is the best course.

Mind you yes, opinions mean nothing. 100 years from now, we will all likely be dead and there will be no one around to remember us. So yeah, the opinion of someone who is going to end up as a forgotten pile of dust is really inconsequential. It just grates me that I have to keep the stuff I like to myself.
KrimsonDec 24, 2009 11:18 AM
Dec 24, 2009 12:14 PM

Sep 2008
Oh there were many moving moments in A/S for me as well. The no1 being:

Dec 24, 2009 12:19 PM

Sep 2009
@krimson,

I think that this group of most here on MAL would be the right place where you could share your enjoyment and thoughts on most things without having to fear an argument as to why people would disagree... not to say a good debate isn't a little fun now and then, but I've seen many people’s opinions expressed here (in this group) and respected even though not all agreed.

Haruhi, Cowboy Bebop, etc... I personally though Haruhi was brilliant and wonderfully enjoyable.. and at the same time I really didn't like Cowboy Bebop very much at all .. I know there's plenty of people here that completely disagree with me on both counts, and while I've seen that expressed here, I've never really felt as though I or anyone else was put down or berated due to their opinions.

That’s really one of the nice things about having a group specifically for adults .. That for the most part, we can act like kids while respecting each other like adults :-)
Dec 24, 2009 1:37 PM

Sep 2008
They had a sale at one of the online sites I shop on for the LE Haurhi boxes, I only had box 1 and not any of the other DVDs so I bought the rest of the set. Haruhi was a favorite of mine for a long time but over the last couple of years all the haters and complaining have made me think I might not have liked it as much as I thought. When you see people bash something constantly I think its only human nature to be affected by it eventually. I plan on rewatching it when I get my DVDs along with the new season and see if my opinion has changed.
Dec 24, 2009 4:57 PM

Aug 2006
Just finished Umineko no Naku Koro ni. Started out very promising then let me down at the end. Too many unanswered questions, and I wasn't any less confused by the end of the final episode than I was half-way through. Started out and kept an 8/10 from me most of the series. Thanks to the let down, it got moved down to a 7/10. I much preferred Higurashi.
Dec 24, 2009 6:25 PM

Sep 2009
Skadi said:
They had a sale at one of the online sites I shop on for the LE Haurhi boxes, I only had box 1 and not any of the other DVDs so I bought the rest of the set. Haruhi was a favorite of mine for a long time but over the last couple of years all the haters and complaining have made me think I might not have liked it as much as I thought. When you see people bash something constantly I think its only human nature to be affected by it eventually. I plan on rewatching it when I get my DVDs along with the new season and see if my opinion has changed.
I tend to take what other people say into consideration before seeing or buying something, but only within reason. I can usually tell by reading a review whether someones on the same page as I am (or not) with regards to artistic understanding. But if I've already seen a series and deduced my feelings on it, I can't see myself letting others skew my thoughts on it after the fact, really no matter how many people are dissing it.

but then I kinda grew up liking a lot of stuff, most people knew nothing about and in some respects, people can be judged by that as well... Most people in this club seem to be pretty steadfast in knowing themselves and what they do or don't like .. I say, stay the course... wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same? ;-D

By the way, I just found that Haruhi sale...

Complete Limited Edition DVD Bundle .. normally $244, now only $59 = I'm really angry I spent $40 on that crappy complete regular edition a few months ago, as now I could get SO MUCH MORE for only another $19. Don't get me wrong as I love my set and it's got a lot of DVD extras... but it honestly pales in comparison to the LE DVD Bundle.

I may just have to treat myself to the LE Boxes anyways and call it an end of the year bonus ;-)
Dec 25, 2009 9:51 PM

Apr 2009
Finished watching TO. All I will say is if you've ever read the science fiction of Larry Niven, then TO is very reminiscent of that.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (58) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Secret of Cerulean Sand (2002)

whiteflame55 - Apr 26

23 by 23feanor »»
5 hours ago

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch ( 1 2 )

23feanor - Apr 2

51 by whiteflame55 »»
Apr 28, 5:34 AM

» Anime with adult main characters

zubby - Nov 30, 2023

6 by MeganeOverlord »»
Apr 25, 7:50 PM

Sticky: » New Member Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Oct 3, 2009

833 by MeganeOverlord »»
Apr 25, 7:35 PM

Sticky: » Interest Thread for a Group Watch ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

23feanor - Oct 26, 2020

290 by OrlahEhontas »»
Apr 24, 4:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.