Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 19, 2014 2:33 PM

Jun 2014
Sooo much fucked up shit. Then again, thats Madhouse.
I hate it when a murder goes for their victims eye first :x then the hand :x
And then trying to distinguish from reality, dreaming, and screen acting. mmm love those kind of psychological anime. And the action and mystery kept going all the way to the end. Definitely 9/10
Jun 25, 2014 10:57 AM
Dec 2013
I need to think about this for a while.
Jul 15, 2014 6:44 AM

Apr 2014
Mind blown away..

I really was not expecting something like this. (¬_¬)

10/10
Jul 22, 2014 9:50 AM

Jan 2014
i totaly love it AMAZING wow why is it not Top 10
MadLaneJul 22, 2014 9:58 AM
Aug 7, 2014 5:25 PM

Feb 2011
okay that was weird but also nice, i didnt understood it at all but that is what makes it good i think lol
Aug 13, 2014 8:38 PM
Jul 2018
Holy shit... now that was a mindblowing, AMAZING psychological thriller film!!

It was so intense, and I was on the edge of my seat all the way through! The psychological segments were nothing less than brilliant. That stalker-fan and Rumi were freaking creepy as hell, and I was legitimately scared for Mima in the thriller scenes! Also, I just knew that Mima didn't kill anyone, she really is a good person deep down that didn't deserve any of this shit that happened to her.

Also, I loved the ending scene with Mima in the car: "No, I'm real." *sexy smile*

9/10, and maybe even a 10/10, I'll have to decide, but Perfect Blue has totally become one of my favorite anime films.
removed-userAug 13, 2014 8:44 PM
Aug 21, 2014 8:16 AM

Feb 2013
That was a total mindfuck. lool
I loved how it intertwines between reality and imagination.
I didn't think it was Rumi who has a split personality. After all, that bloodstained clothes in Mima's closet suggested that her "dreams" were real.

7.5/10

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Aug 25, 2014 4:25 PM

Aug 2011
What I don't get is, who killed the camera guy??
It is shown that Mima was the one who did it and she wasn't around to hallucinate that, so it can't be Rumi.
Was it Mima?? She dreamed that scene before it was officially reported by news channels and she even had the bloodied outfit.
Pls help.
Aug 30, 2014 7:18 PM

Feb 2013
mind blowing movie I was on the edge of my seat *_*
Satoshi Kon really awesome job R.I.P
Sep 19, 2014 9:03 PM

Jul 2013
Like everyone says, this was a mind blowing movie. Although for me at the beginning it's a bit boring but gets interesting later on. I never expected her agency, Rumi would be the one mindfucking Mima. Her stalker, oh god disgusting character. Not only the animation is from 1997 - 98, he just look plain ol fucked up ugly ass character lol.
Also, with all that old animation. I enjoy Mima nude scene on her photoshot for some reason. Yes, even her hairy meow ;p it was nice haha.
Sep 26, 2014 7:14 PM

Jun 2012
I dunno what to score this. Ive never been high in my entire life but this movie took me on the wildest trip of my life. I started blanking out during the movie and I lost track of time too. It felt like 3 hours went by but it actually was only 40 minutes. I just gotta take a breather. I feel out of it. This was awesome and super trippy but I dunno if I liked the feeling.

Screw it Ima just give this an 8. It was a damn good movie, but I didnt like the trip it sent me on.
Sol_OuSep 26, 2014 7:56 PM
Oct 24, 2014 5:20 PM

Sep 2014
Holy shit, what an absolutely wonderful mindfuck. I love stuff like this!

I'm still confused on some stuff, especially on who killed the photographer because there's a scene showing her killing the guy, and then "waking up". The murder is supposedly on her conscience, as she's rehearsing for a scene in Double Bind she imagines the actor to be the photographer who gets up from the table (with no eyes X_X).

I didn't like the fact that it was all Rumi, I wanted to the movie to explicitly state that Mima was cray-cray. But alas, while I may not have liked the ending, the journey to it was AMAZING. 9/10!!
SaveTheAralSeaOct 24, 2014 7:43 PM
Oct 26, 2014 12:17 PM

Dec 2013
Holy shit, excelent movie, although difficult to watch and absolutely not for everyone, kind of reminded me of Brian de Palma's Femme Fatale. Animation in general, not just Japanese anime, needs more stuff like this. I'm definitely going to watch all of Satoshi Kon's catalogue, too bad I didn't know about him when he was alive.

Rating 10/10
CapRooneyOct 26, 2014 12:29 PM
Oct 27, 2014 4:37 PM

Apr 2009
Mindblown! @____@

How i wish there are still anime like this nowadays.
9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2014 8:22 PM

May 2014
Damn I just finished watching this and Ive got to say, this is one of the best psychological movies,not just in anime that I have ever seen. The story is so incredibly well written as well as the amazing animation that it should stand as a landmark in animation and cinematography for its brilliance.
Its a 10/10 for me because it was.......perfect.
I've been here way too long...
Nov 1, 2014 3:47 PM

Nov 2013
I thought I was getting it, up until the point when the woman with long hair talks about dissociative identity disorder. At that point, I went: "what the fuck? This is incredible".
Then, 3 seconds later, they showed that scene through a tv screen, and my mind basically exploded. From then on, I was completely lost.

I knew it was going to end up like this, I'll just have to rewatch it eventually.
Still, what the actual fuck?!?!?!? This rivals Lain in my "2deep4me" category.
Nov 1, 2014 3:55 PM

Oct 2014
stAtic91 said:
Oh gawd, this was so mindfuckingly (wat?) awesome. The story got a bit confusing with all the changes between reality and imagination, but I think I figured most of it out towards the end.

Watching this made me really sad that Kon Satoshi has passed away...

so true, most of his films are confusing and just everywhere for ex. paprika.
:-) I LOVED tokyo grandfathers! You guys have to watch it if you haven't!

“But even when the moon looks like it's waning...
it's actually never changing shape. Don't ever forget that.”― Ai Yazawa

... ✽

「 If only I could wash all my worries and
sorrows away with music 」
Dec 19, 2014 5:37 AM

Oct 2013
3deep5me, need to rewatch.

Oh by the way, about the rape scene. Did they really have sex when shooting that scene? Don't they usually use doubles for that kind of scenes, or use some tricks to shoot it? I'm asking this because she seemed to be really traumatized after that.
silmarilDec 19, 2014 5:57 AM
Dec 20, 2014 1:00 AM

Sep 2014
silmaril said:
3deep5me, need to rewatch.

Oh by the way, about the rape scene. Did they really have sex when shooting that scene? Don't they usually use doubles for that kind of scenes, or use some tricks to shoot it? I'm asking this because she seemed to be really traumatized after that.

It was simulated, but it still affected her mentally. There was a scene afterwards where she says (to herself) "of course I didn't want to do it". I guess they didn't use a double because they wanted to push her fame, as she was only getting one or two lines every three episodes or something like that.
Dec 29, 2014 8:40 PM

May 2011
Intense film is intense. Kon-sensei's style is all over the place in this 80-minute disorientated piece of classic, and his familiar dream-in-a-dream-in-a-dream scenarios around the place. This is my first Kon anime, and I have to say - as a fan of the psychological thriller genre, this work is outstanding. Although, there were moments in which the film lose its edge towards the end, risking convolution, but it managed to pack up in the end. 9/10
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Dec 30, 2014 6:18 PM

Oct 2014
Mindfvck is real! This somehow reminds me of the movie Black Swan. 10/10
"Having someone saying you're okay as you are and being needed by that person... It was nice to have someone like that..." — Taiga Aisaka
Jan 4, 2015 3:45 PM

Dec 2009
Very good movie and I really didn't expect that outcome. It was the kind of story where it kept throwing twists at you right when you thought that you finally grasped it all. Although I understand most of the overall picture, understanding some of the scenes separately is tougher. The main ones being:

- The part where Glam was performing at the mall and suddenly a seemingly ghost-ish figure of Mima joined the song, what was really happening there? It couldn't have been the real Mima and if it was Rumi then wouldn't that have raised an alarm with everyone about her mental health? The audience reacted though and the two idol members looked troubled, so I'm inclined to believe something happened in any case.

- The scenes with Mima talking to a ghost figure of herself. Was she crazy as well? Did she get drugged?

- My biggest blur moment was the continuous waking up from dreams. Not sure what to make of that. It wasn't a 'dream within a dream within a... etc.' case, since the room was filled with more junk every time she woke up, so days were passing. Other than that it was really strange to me.

- After Mima knocked out/killed and walked over to him, she suddenly saw the crew of the movie giving her an applause. Why? Obviously it was fantasy, but I don't get why she suddenly got that vision. Was it a deja vu moment she got because it resembled a scene from the movie? Also not sure during which time frame Rumi moved the bodies of her colleague and the stalker.

- At the end of the movie, Mima said that the apartment wasn't her room. I assume that she was brought to a replicated room based on her own place?
Nuky93Jan 4, 2015 3:56 PM
Jan 4, 2015 4:33 PM

Jan 2008
ermu said:
Mindfvck is real! This somehow reminds me of the movie Black Swan. 10/10

The director of Black Swan is a big fan of Satoshi Kon, and even ripped off the 'screaming under the water in the bath' scene for his film Requiem For A Dream.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 18, 2015 3:47 AM

Mar 2013
Wow that was mindblowing! I watched Paprika before this and gotta say i kinda understand this movie more than Paprika. Still a bit confused particularly the drama scenes. Not sure about this but it's like the story of the drama is similar to what's happening with Mima and i can't tell anymore which is real or not. Ugh..
Feb 8, 2015 2:16 PM

Nov 2013
quasimodo on acid and a girl who was tripping harder than me watching that film, cool.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Feb 8, 2015 2:18 PM

Nov 2014
All I can say is that PERFECT BLUE IS MY FAVE ANIME OF ALL TIME... It was perfect, and is my #1 even if it is a movie.
Feb 16, 2015 6:46 PM

Oct 2013
Definitely in my top 3 movies, such an amazing watch.

Mar 5, 2015 10:27 AM

Dec 2013
Mindfuck on another level
Mar 5, 2015 11:44 PM

Sep 2010
Wow, good job drawing the viewer into the same confusion as the protagonist. Psychological Thriller Anime 10/10 o-o
Toxic_MongooseMar 9, 2015 7:54 PM
Mar 17, 2015 6:09 PM

Feb 2015
Wow i'm speechless right now. The story and the directing are both awesome. Like the name suggests it is a perfect movie.
Mar 21, 2015 10:14 AM

Dec 2013
HazukashiiSensei said:
Mindfuck on another level

^
That's all I could say about this movie.
Apr 4, 2015 12:15 AM

Mar 2015
if someone already answered this, sorry. i didn't feel like sorting through 3 pages of posts. for those of you confused about the scene with the detectives, that was part of the tv show, i believe. the director even says cut at the end of it. the "doctor" is even playing a doctor in the scene. they show a take of it being rewound right after...

what made it confusing was them saying, "she believes she is an actress/mima." maybe it's just a nudge to the fact the actress is being played by the REAL Mima. I DUNNO o_O

also, someone (i forgot to quote it) explained rumi being able to jump off the building as it being from her point of view. like, what rumi imagined herself to be. doesn't explain what mima sees when we know rumi isn't there, but i like the idea.
Apr 16, 2015 4:01 PM

Feb 2013
My mind has been thoroughly fucked.
Shape430Apr 16, 2015 4:11 PM
Apr 24, 2015 9:10 AM

Apr 2013
One of the best animated movies I've ever seen.
Apr 29, 2015 11:06 PM

Jan 2014
Lot's of purposefully confusing stuff, but admittedly a thrilling ride. 7/10
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 7, 2015 9:40 PM

Oct 2012
That was incredibly good...and incredibly depressing.
Jun 14, 2015 6:47 PM
May 2015
I think the movie was absolutely brilliant. The thing is, even though there are certain parts that are still ambiguous, most of it makes sense when you connect the pieces. There are a few inconsistencies that I can't find an answer to though.

I think the best theory I've seen thus far is that both Rumi and Mima had mental illness. Rumi had split personality, while Mima had schizophrenia or something of the sort. Rumi was essentially a failing Jpop singer that became obssessed with Mima's success and popularity, and started believing she is Mima herself. She killed everyone that took a part in making Mima turn into an actress, and essentially end her career as a Jpop singer. In Rumi's eyes, since she thought she was Mima herself, she felt like these people were attacking her Mima(her other personality), and as such decided to kill them. Taking advantage of Mima's schizophrenia, she made her think she was the one who killed the photographer, by placing the bloody clothes in her closet.(that Mima never bought herself, as we can see when Mima sees on her website that she herself supposedly went shopping when she never actually did.)

Some say that Rumi gave Mima some pills or shit that made her schizophranic, but I'm not sure that's true. The ending might make it seem more plausible, but I'll discuss it a bit later on.

Some of the biggest questions for me were those:

*If Rumi killed everyone, including the photographer, what was Mima's dream? You know, the one where she wakes up all sweaty and shaking. Did she see the murder? Did she just have a nightmare? It's possible that she simply had a nightmare, as it seemed she didn't remember anything that happened that night. I really want to know what did she dream. Was it the murder itself, or something else entirely?

*Why at the very end Mima seemed so...okay? I mean, she seems all normal, like she isn't mentally ill anymore. It bothers me because all the hallucinations she've had before were clearly serious, and you don't just get cured so fast when it comes to mental illnesses. That makes me think that perhaps Rumi really did drug her, or gave her some stuff. Otherwise it all seems surreal and unrealistic. Or perhaps that was the point in the first place........

*Rumi was a pretty heavy woman, and her being able to chase Mima at the end of the movie was simply bizzare. Jumping from rooftops, doing some crazy shit. Maybe it was just for the sake of suspense and drama, but it did seem very odd, almost made up to be honest.

Since I couldn't find answers to these questions, I have a bit of a hard time to come to a concrete theory, but overthinking it some more won't really help.
I enjoyed the movie a lot, and I love the fact people have different theories about it. It's what elevates it to greatness. Much like with Neon Genesis Evangelion or The Sopranos, having to figure out for yourself what it's all about is part of the fun.
Jun 18, 2015 9:03 PM

May 2012
i went into this blind and i gotta say... that was amazing
Jun 25, 2015 4:50 AM

Feb 2015
A good movie, 7/10

I personally like these kind of theme : Dementia and psychological. Though confusing, well that is not the point. It is intentionally made to confuse because that is the thing our main character perceives, and the perception is really confusing. That's why it is confusing. Yeah, obscene and confusing. But atleast at the end we knew that she understand her identity.
Jul 4, 2015 8:22 AM

Aug 2014
That was an absolutely thrilling experience. The way that it perfectly blended her movie persona, singer persona, and real life persona into a psychological breakdown of extreme depth was just jaw-dropping. Her psychological development was among the best I've seen in this medium. I really liked how there was the double meaning of her trying to fight off her singer image and become a new person while her singer image was trying to bring her back but she knew she could never be that again. Her delving into the depths of despair and a hellish world in which the fabric of reality nightmare's lines were blurred and her full recovery into a normal person at the end was just breath taking. I am just kicking myself right now for not watching this a long time ago and putting it off for so long. Oh my this was a true masterpiece.
Jul 12, 2015 11:00 AM

Jul 2009
Great! What a surprise in the end! I was actually believing that Mima was going crazy and actually killed the guys. 9/10
Aug 5, 2015 7:31 AM

Feb 2014
That was great i was constantly questioning what was real 8/10 because bit too old for my taste
Aug 29, 2015 10:57 AM

Jul 2014
A 1998 film can't possibly get any better than this.
The R-rated scenes were too much for me, though. But plot-wise, this is mindblowing. I could never guess how this would turn out to be.

10/10.

[Except for the characters who had their eyes apart. The art of those characters just creeped me out to death and I might have to sleep with the lights on tonight.]
Oct 8, 2015 2:49 PM

Mar 2014
One question that bugged me throught the movie and still bothering me now.

What the hell is up with that woman's eyes?
Oct 18, 2015 2:08 AM

Feb 2012
The 2nd half was trippy as fuck, still good though.

8/10.
Oct 24, 2015 7:51 PM

Feb 2015
well i had no idea what to expect but awesomeness since madhouse was introduced in the beginning!

(however if i knew this was rated R i wouldn't even have tried to see it...>o>)

well i kinda want to unsee but want to think about it some more. from what i understand the stalker and fattie teamed up, emailing each other, which took care of 80% of the kills. i honestly am almost convinced that the MC did the photographer and the stalker in. however there was the theory that the fattie found out the stalker failed and killed him. however that still leaves the model shots and the movie filming confusion, and her idol version hopping around on the lamps, through the crowd, etc. but who did in the 18yr old???? i think that's a red herring. he got killed by accident.

the best scenes was the chase scenes, but the last one was utterly great. i could feel the terror of the MC and was disgusted by the fattie. jaw literally dropped for a good amount of seconds when she was revealed.

the literal only cons there were was the nudity and of course the rape scene. i really had to look away from that. but this IS an R rated film so i guess those don't really count.

since satoshi said the film is supposed to give you all these clues and have YOU put them together, there is no sense in bashing the "ploholes" (i use the term loosely) and/or ending. so it gets a 10/10. it accomplished what it was made for. satoshi basically gives you a game. "Here's the setting, with the start, middle, and ending. Some parts are missing. Want the answers? Come to them yourself."

thank you so much. can't wait to see paprika!

(that also felt a lot longer than an 1hr and 22mins...O_O)
TomDayOct 24, 2015 8:20 PM
Nov 5, 2015 11:01 PM

Sep 2013
That was a really trippy movie at times, it was pretty good though.
Nov 6, 2015 4:25 PM

Jul 2013
the second half really got me breathless... I don't even know what to say

10/10
Nov 22, 2015 12:54 PM

Jul 2014
what the fuck
Nov 27, 2015 1:12 PM

Jan 2013
Holy damn, what a mindfluff ...
A lot of disturbing scenes and I was basically at the edge of my seat the entire film.

This is a solid 10/10 ... what a film.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Few confusing that i don't understand HELP ME, if you didn't watched it plz go away I'm sure it be fully spoilers

MadSonic - Feb 18

21 by hi777 »»
Apr 15, 9:16 PM

» Great movie... but suffered through the entire thing

BustedBayou - Jan 4

17 by Feitan_exe »»
Mar 1, 10:29 PM

» Confused

R1NN_ - Jul 4, 2023

22 by HansDevX »»
Dec 13, 2023 7:20 PM

» Recommendations like this movie with THOSE scenes

SadikTD - Apr 30, 2023

8 by arrianne311 »»
Sep 20, 2023 12:41 PM

» Just saw Perfect Blue in theaters

Phlaryx - Sep 6, 2018

11 by yagakimilover »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.