Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 4, 2014 1:17 PM

Jun 2012
NaruFreak26 said:
Shuhan said:
Post pic of ur sister, we'll go from there.

Heh, if I told you she was 12 would you still be interested in seeing a picture?

I honestly would be even more interested.
Feb 4, 2014 1:33 PM

Jan 2013
Sprited away is the best Ghibli film, and Porco Rosso comes second. Actually, Miyazaki deserves Nobel prize for creating Kaonashi. As opposed to common perception, Spirited Away is a movie for adults. The more one experiences, the more one understands this movie.

On a side note, Mononoke Hime is NOT overrated since it is NOT highly rated in the first place. In fact it's on a level with Nausicaa.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Feb 4, 2014 4:06 PM

Jan 2013
Shuhan said:
NaruFreak26 said:
Shuhan said:

Heh, if I told you she was 12 would you still be interested in seeing a picture?

Welp.
Salmon is delicious.
Feb 5, 2014 6:31 PM
Dec 2013
Shuhan said:
NaruFreak26 said:
Shuhan said:

Ok, I'll let my sister know a pedo is interested in her.
Feb 5, 2014 6:33 PM

Oct 2013
Nope, I think it's a great anime and deserves the praise it gets.
Its the year 2053 a girl lays on her bed wearing vintage UGG boots and says, "I was born in the wrong generation" and cries over a One Direction poster while listening to Taylor Swift.
Feb 6, 2014 7:38 PM

Jun 2012
NaruFreak26 said:
Shuhan said:
NaruFreak26 said:
Shuhan said:

Ok, I'll let my sister know a pedo is interested in her.

Im not a pedophile, I find young girls to be cute.
Mar 5, 2014 4:09 AM

Dec 2012
Personally, yeah. I felt like the story took an extremely wide turn near the end and even though the events that led to resolving the conflict were (badly) alluded to, it still almost felt as if it was a deus ex fashion.

I still think its an 8/10 which is almost a point below the average rating, so I still think its very good and definitely well deserving of its Grammy.
Mar 5, 2014 4:19 AM

Nov 2013
It is overrated, just a little bit. It's pretty good but not so good to be in the top 20 imo.
Mar 5, 2014 4:29 AM

Dec 2012
Personally, I'd say so, yes. It's often treated as something astoundingly amazing, but I did not find it to be so, especially in comparison to some of the other Ghibli movies that I enjoyed more. Also, while being a Oscars winner doesn't hurt, it certainly inflates its 'hype' and therefore people tend to automatically treat it better than the rest.
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

Mar 5, 2014 4:35 AM

Jan 2013
Yes.
Grave of the fireflies, Only yesterday are better movies from Ghibli ( interestingly not directed by Miyazaki ).
People just hype up S.A. for the oscar thing..
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 29, 2014 12:56 AM

Jun 2012
Shuhan said:
Im not a pedophile, I find young girls to be cute.
получить деньги моего друга
Jan 15, 2015 9:28 AM

Dec 2013
No.

I've watched this around 2-3 times as a child. Now I suddenly decided to rewatch this as I see the hype thats still going around nowadays. When I watched this as a child it left something memorable and fun. But now when I watch it I understand why this is such a great movie. I step by step realise the little details that make this movie a masterpiece, the feelings and emotions that are invoked.

Before Mononoke was my top, now after watching Spirited Away again Mononoke might move to second - (only by a fraction of a margin).

Truly, this movie is a masterpiece.
Jan 15, 2015 9:29 AM

Oct 2014
Nah, not really. I think Howl's Moving Castle is more way more overrated than Spirited Away if anything.
Jan 25, 2015 1:43 PM

Jul 2014
It's a really good movie, you can see my anime list, i'm 19 and just saw spirited away for the first time today, i consider it to be a REALLY good movie, the train scene was so dark and beautiful.

If you've read 1Q84 the "town of cats" story reminded me of this movie, although the ending was much darker.
Jan 25, 2015 1:45 PM
Jul 2018
Not at all
Jan 25, 2015 1:47 PM

May 2014
I thought it was a masterpiece of animation but thats just my opinion.
I've been here way too long...
Jan 25, 2015 1:48 PM

Jul 2011
No spirited away was their best but a lot of the other ghibli movies are
kikis delivery service and totoro were the most boring ghibli movies yet maintain 8.25-8.6 score
the one about cats sucked
and howls moving castle is just 'eh'

then again theyre kids movies
Feb 7, 2015 9:19 AM

Nov 2014
Jul 21, 2015 1:02 PM

Feb 2012
Nope.
Jul 29, 2015 7:45 PM

May 2014
No. What kind of question is that?
[center][center]
Aug 16, 2015 1:28 PM

Oct 2014
NO
Sep 1, 2015 8:50 PM

Mar 2013
Grave of the Fireflies is the best Ghibli movie ever and anyone who thinks otherwise can take a long walk off a short pier.
:Now that I am finish being overly dramatic:

No it's not overrated. Think about when it was released and everything that had been released before it up until then. It's kind of like looking back at the Oscars and remembering Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven won best picture. You're like "Sure it was a good movie, but c'mon was nothing better out that year?" Except that Spirited Away WAS actually that good. Pixar was Pixar. Disney was... IS sh*t on a stick. Don't even bring up Miramax, Bandai, or other big Studio in Japan or America at the time. Sure looking at what's evolved since then maybe I'd give it a 8 or 8.5, but I rated it from when I saw it, in the context I saw it. It is and still is as close to a 10 as you can get. But yeah Grave of the Fireflies IS A 10!!!
Sep 1, 2015 8:51 PM

Apr 2014
Kanye West says so.
Sep 1, 2015 8:52 PM

Dec 2012
nah mate
Oct 7, 2015 10:35 AM

Jun 2014
Yeah .. I don't know what the point of this anime... :
Nov 18, 2015 3:28 AM

Dec 2014
no certainly not will if not considering the latest releases
Dec 7, 2015 11:39 AM

Jun 2011
I was about to say something like that. Yes, I think that it aged badly but I think that kids between 11-16 can enjoy it.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Jan 11, 2016 6:47 AM
Mar 2015
I watched the movie several times as a kid and I can say that it is not overrated. It's just popular.
Jan 26, 2016 12:50 AM

Jun 2014
Well, I just finished watching this again, so thought I'd comment. I enjoyed the film well enough. The animation/art naturally, the music of course, and to some extent the characters although some are weaker than others naturally. I however, don't enjoy the plot/story very much.

All that being said, I've never really cared for the term overrated. It's a rather inflammatory and lazy criticism. I didn't enjoy the film as much as a lot of people did. That doesn't invalidate their own subjective opinion (rating) which to me, is what overrated says.
Oct 14, 2016 3:42 PM
Apr 2015
Spirited aways target audience wasnt myself and I knew that going in, I particularily like romance genre and ofcourse some action but Ive always rated anime with a lick of romance in them a bit higher than ones without and it could be an epic action anime but I tend to binge watch ones that had romance, Ive watched every fairy tail episode, movie, ova, etc but only 30 episodes each from hunterxhunter, one piece, and only the first series of 220 episodes for naruto. Now that you know how my mind works a little, spirited away has a bit of a romance theme to it but I knew since it was targeted at young audiences that it wouldnt have an ending like that of toradora or angel beats, none the less they still delivered a bit of romance zonI found that pleasing. Now, keeping in mind that this is an anime alice in wonderland meant to be watched by a grade schooler I took note that they did a very great job on character design, music, and animation. Too many movies meant for kids these days look over these aspects knowing that they are kids that arent going to pay attention to details, so as an adult I could definetely see and appreciate the amazing work that was put into this movie. Now, through an adults point of view, the movie didnt entertain me because it justbsimply doesnt appeal to me, I dont believe in fairy tales, it just cant be helped, I cant relate to the mc and I wasnt asking for more when it was over, but if I was a 9 year old who loved fairy tales(which I used to love peter pan and the likes of other disney movies) then this movie would get a solid 8-10/10 so I rated it as such, now if ur an adult you wont be moved by this movie, but its still not bad, I can still sit down and watch a disney movie but this movie would illicite the same responce as other disney movies do "oh that was nice" meanwhile ur child is like "zOMG daddy that was so cool". To finish this off if u want something thats not too serious then this is the movie for you, its not going to depress you or leave you with a gaping wound in ur heart like pretty much every anime with a rating higher than 7 or 8 (usually a romance will do that especially if its good regardless of happy or sad ending), like erased, angel beats, anthem of the heart, kimi ni no wa etc.

Do I think its over rated? I can see why youd think that if ur above the age of 13 I dont think it was meant to get 10/10 but as far as its target audience goes its one of the best and deserves anything higher than 8/10.

Just one complaint I had, I was a bit confused on who the no face guy was, wish that got explained better, I think a lot of the spirits needed to be addressed of their origin more, because of that I fairly rated it 8/10 even tho it didnt move me emotionally like other anime I rated 8/10, so maybe I over rated it haha. Yes I think people over rate it but itsbokay because its not fair to rate something that ur twice the age of the target audience, thats like gramps watching naruto or one piece(I used popular anime on purpose dont crucify me) and then rating it 4/10 because it wasnt made for his age group.
Oct 17, 2016 3:59 PM

Sep 2012
I think it receive the attention that deserves, it's indeed a good movie. Maybe for the people who watched it after listening a lot of thing about it could be overrated, I mean, If somebody tell you that something is stunning and amazing you hardly will find it good because we all have different opinions about what's good. In my case I love Studio Ghibli's style, so for me this is one of the best movies in the world, but I can't say that is the nº1 movie or whatever because they're all different and necessary. I can't even say it is the best movie of the studio, all of them have their own things.
rorcualOct 17, 2016 4:03 PM
Oct 18, 2016 1:05 PM
Apr 2016
I do think most people are exagerrating the quality of the show. Not that i didn't think it was a good movie or wouldn't recommend it to a larger variety of people that other anime. But I don't thinks as good as everyone says it is.
Oct 30, 2016 12:01 PM
May 2011
UTSANOMIKO said:
i guess i didn't get why everyone likes it in the first place

Gikiseima said:
Yeah .. I don't know what the point of this anime... :

Me too.

I just didn't enjoy that movie,found it very boring. Couldn't watch it untill the end without falling asleep.
Totoro didn't please me much,though. Yet I'd said that unlike Chihiro,which I totally disliked,Totoro was OK.
Its nice that people like Miyazaki's anime that much,still it doesnt mean everyone revels such.

Oct 30, 2016 12:20 PM

Oct 2014
Yes, I think it is overrated. I can't see anything special in this show.
Oct 30, 2016 12:32 PM

Jan 2011
Nah, it's just right. I seen 5 times and still love it.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Oct 30, 2016 3:06 PM

Oct 2016
*eyetwitch* Anybody who says it is can fight me... it's one of my favorite movies.
IsYourH3artTakenOct 30, 2016 3:22 PM
Oct 30, 2016 3:21 PM

Jun 2011
It is kind of overrated, but I can see why people like it. The setting kind of gives off the magical fantasy feelings that everybody adored as a kid, and the animation was fantastic, especially for its time. I personally would have liked more Haku involvement or maybe some backstory, and preferred the protagonist to have more personality rather than just there to move the story along. I wouldn't mind getting less Yababa(?) too.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 30, 2016 3:36 PM

Aug 2016
It's good but it's not THAT good. I personally just prefer western films if i'm honest but I can see it's appeal.

slán abhaile corcaigh
Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin

☘ ☘ ☘

Currently stealing your heart,
your women and also your job

Oct 30, 2016 3:52 PM
Feb 2016
No, it is genius film-making. Genuinely the anime that I see as being closest to perfect for what it was trying to achieve. There's nothing that I would change.
Jan 2, 2017 6:01 AM

Nov 2011
SuperRed said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirited_Away#Accolades

If it is overrated, then every anime movie ever made sucks by comparison.

This.
You can call me a Ghibli fanboy, but I seriously think that Ghibli movies are among the best animes I have ever watched, not just Spirited Away.. I am okay with Spirited Away rated at 8.9, but many another Ghibli movies deserve higher scores, some even better than Spirited Away imo..
Spirited Away is overrated among Ghbli movies, but if you see movie like Your name in the top of the list, I rather have one of Ghibli movies in there..
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Feb 21, 2017 2:15 PM
Dec 2015
SuperRed said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirited_Away#Accolades

If it is overrated, then every anime movie ever made sucks by comparison.

Thats right dude... Idk why there's even a thread like this.. are they hater,an idiot or something? If ppl said that this movie didnt deserve 10 I get it... but this movie are great enough to deserve 8,5-9,5 score and if ppl said 6-7 score for this movie thats a bullshit im not a ghibli fanboy but if a movie like this deserve 6-7 then other average anime movies will get what? 3-5? And maybe some even get only 1-2 score.. Then what movies that deserve 8-10? Even makoto shinkai work like kimi no nawa that on #1 place there're still so many ppl saying the movie overrated bla bla bla... Those reviews are based from ppl all around the world even movie critics vote at least 85++% rating... And this movie are launched about more than 10 years ago with great character and art design...
Nov 3, 2017 11:54 PM

Oct 2017
No and those who think that are suffering from shit taste!
Nov 4, 2017 11:16 AM
Oct 2017
Definitely, I just saw it from the first time in ten years, and yeah it was good, but not nearly as good as people make it out to be.
Nov 4, 2017 11:34 AM

Jul 2015
The word "overrated" can be in the same sentence with Spirited Away, only if you say "Spirited Away is definetely NOT overrated"
Nov 5, 2017 2:23 PM

Jun 2012
I do think it's overrated, but only in the sense that I would give it a 6-7/10 instead of a 10/10. Positive score, but far from perfect.

I like the themes, story, and imagination of the movie, but a lot of scenes lingered for way too long. When she was walking down their stairs to get to Kamajii, it took her like 2 minutes to get down 4 steps. There are also many panning shots that last a bit too long, and many scenes from the later half of the movie could've been faster or just cut entirely. Went from enjoying the atmosphere to being bored.

Also, I didn't care about any of the side characters besides Kamajii and Lin, which becomes a problem when a decently large portion of the movie is somewhat focused on them. Mostly because the world itself is very vaguely explained, so any time there's some kind of side problem that needs to be solved, I'm not invested at all and it feels like padding.

When it comes down to it, I can get a more appealing artbook to me from Ponyo, a more appealing atmosphere from When Marnie Was There, and better characters from pretty much any other Ghibli movie I've seen.

EternalSerenityNov 5, 2017 2:52 PM
Dec 21, 2017 4:48 AM

Dec 2017
Not at all. People can say what they want, but imo the movie was perfect. The characters, the music, the setting, the art, etc. they were all done excellently, and it remains one of my favourite anime films to this day.
Jan 26, 2018 6:03 AM
Dec 2016
not even the slightest
Feb 12, 2018 7:36 AM

Nov 2015
Maaaaybe...just an eensy weensy bit xP
✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

鼻をくすぐるGunpowder & Smoke
ジャララ飛び交うEmpty gun cartridges
紅いヒールに見惚れて うっかり風穴欲しいヤツは 挙手をしな

・゚✧*:・゚✧ 🍰 ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚

✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

Feb 19, 2018 9:53 AM

Apr 2017
Underrated rather, on MAL at least. I consider it the best anime of all time.
Feb 20, 2018 3:53 PM

Jan 2017
This is what I think of when I see this post

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

aaronluis26 - Aug 3, 2009

195 by busconoviaaa »»
May 26, 10:10 AM

» More movie/shows with this plot?

_txhsin__ - Mar 30, 2023

14 by Zoldra0 »»
May 13, 2023 3:16 PM

» Movies as great as this one

Kondyaedus - Feb 11, 2022

30 by tamashinochi »»
Mar 15, 2023 1:36 AM

» What is so great with this movie

Kintoki37 - Oct 23, 2022

39 by YoungVagabond »»
Nov 25, 2022 9:53 AM

» How can I convince my brother to watch Spirited Away with me?

LoudyKaizoku - Jul 21, 2022

39 by J3_Omega »»
Sep 23, 2022 7:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.