Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 9, 2012 3:59 PM
Jul 2012
Its just too interesting.
Jul 13, 2012 6:22 AM

Jul 2012
Really interesting show but am I the only one who likes Renji's hair. I fine its a very cool hairstyle
Jul 30, 2012 3:17 AM

Jun 2012
for some weird reason i can't shake the feeling between kei and miyako is very.....
.....another psycho killer lol...i honestly feel as if one of them near the ending is gonna go on a killing spree or chop each other with an axe.....haha it would be a nice boat LMAO!

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
_Ghost_Oct 2, 2015 8:24 AM
Aug 6, 2012 8:14 PM

Oct 2009
cyruz said:
burnttoast said:
Ishitori said:

And the analogy of the sheep was quite intriguing, what was she trying to say?
That eventually she would be tired of her difficult life? But if she loses her memory so often wouldn't it open a new perspective from life almost everyday?
Well, I guess we'll see soon enough xD

I think what they were trying to convey was the length of the chain is the age of which she got into the accident (12 years) and when you see her on the stained glass that's all her memories up to the accident. The black part is all the memories she cant have. and because of the chain she cant access any further. The sheep after it eats all the grass (memories) it will starve to death from lack of new grass (because the sheep ate all the grass roots an all, nothing new can grow) so no new memories can grow.

Yes! I loved that analogy! It was another great episode, I pretty much like everything about it so far.

I too loved that analogy!

TowardsTheStars said:
Poor Chihiro. Kei must feel pretty guilty.

Agreed! Gotta feel sorry for them both...
Another great ep, looking forward to watching more =)
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Nov 4, 2012 4:49 AM

May 2012
Great episode, the backstory of the twins was quite sad, though I find they should have put more time to show a bit more story about the accident to make it more caring!

Though really great ending, the confession as well by the blond haired guy, I wonder what her answer will be!

The ending with the reading was something very nice, loved it!

Another great episode up to the next one!
Dec 30, 2012 3:55 PM

Aug 2012
Dat symbolism.
And it's nice to see some more backstory of Chihiro's incident.
Aug 31, 2013 9:47 PM

Nov 2012
another awesome episode :3
I love it..
hmm it is really sad when knowing how chihiro seeing world :/
and it is really suprising if kyosuke telling kei his feeling :/
Nov 15, 2013 5:22 AM

Sep 2011
So Kei unintentionally caused Chihiro's accident? Congratulations, you just fucked up her life thanks to your jealousy :S
If I were her, I would stop trying to be with Hiro since she is either gonna cause his or Miyako's death :S (yandere mode? :D)
Feb 9, 2014 8:46 AM

Aug 2013
This episode was great. A lot of devellopement.

So in the past, Hiro was closer to Chihiro and so Kei was jalous. That's what caused involuntarily the accident. Since then, Kei can't tell her feeling because of the guilt she feel.

I wonder if she will accept his offer. She barely know him and she already like Hiro. That kinda fuck up her plans. If she accept, it will probably be to make Hiro jalous.

The story between Renji and Chihiro is also interresting. Her book had a deep personnal meaning, I think it's representative of her current situation. Also the sheep metaphor was really sad. She's stuck up in those thirteen hours while she is slowly getting closer to her death without any new memories.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 17, 2014 6:42 AM
Mar 2013
You know, I don't like the Kyousuke x Kei coupling. I just get the feeling Kyousuke's a playboy and Kei deserves better :P

I like the backstory of Chihiro and Kei. I can't believe Kei caused it over something so trivial as jealousy.

My favorite pairing right now is Renji and Chihiro, they have the most development so far.
Jun 12, 2014 6:44 AM

Oct 2013
good ep was super cute till well the accident
I see major drama stirring between Kei, miyako and Hiro
[/quote]
May 21, 2015 2:31 AM

Aug 2009
welp, i am liking this a lot

kei got told by miya

random tall-hat girl again

chihiro and renji starts the novel

holy keisuke confesses on the spot

damn... so kei was partially at fault for chihiro's accident... that sux

keep 'em coming
Sep 23, 2015 3:26 AM

Jan 2014
Another great episode indeed
Oct 4, 2015 12:18 AM

Nov 2011
I thought the conversation between Miyako and Kei was excellent. While Miyako might initially appear to be a selfish person, in reality she is the one helping Hiro, while Kei is holding him back with her own assumptions of what's best for him. Miyako's perceptiveness continued to excel as well; her way of addressing Kei's complaints in a frank but polite manner made the scene entertaining.

Actually, Kei's selfishness seemed to be a major theme in this episode. The reveal that her jealousy led to Chihiro's condition does indeed provide a powerful mental barrier to prevent her from doing anything. The only way I could see that ever being resolved (apart from giving up on Hiro) is by confessing to all of it in front of both Chihiro and Hiro at the same time, and even if she does give up on Hiro, I think she needs to have a serious talk with Chihiro about what happened. Kei may not be able to undo what was done (and the accident certainly wasn't directly her fault), but confessing to her deceit and expressing her sorrow would go a long way toward healing herself, and it could dramatically improve her relationship with Chihiro as well.

At that, I think the accident confirms (or rather, intensifies) Hiro's reasoning for pursuing his dreams so strongly, as I speculated in the episode two discussion. Talking it out with both Kei and Chihiro could give him a degree of closure despite his loneliness.

One thing that is standing out to me more about Kei is her need for attention; that is how her selfishness seems to manifest most clearly. On the inverse, Kyosuke is selfish in that he is extremely picky about what he gives attention to. While I do think these complementary selfish desires could make the two fit together, I'm uncertain how well the two will work together. Any relationship requires a degree of give and take (one side can't be doing all of the relationship work in the long term), but still keeping in mind that they're both the most selfish of the main characters, any relationship between the two would likely require more compromise than between the other potential couples. I'm a little skeptical of Kyosuke's "confession" too, but their progress could definitely be interesting.

I really want to get more information on this mysterious woman that keeps appearing to everyone. Who (and what) is she? What purpose does she serve?

On the flip side of the episode, I was grinning from ear to ear when Renji's mom was having an embarrassing conversation with Chihiro quite literally behind Renji's back. That and the following conversation about Chihiro's cooking skills were both cute and amusing. Also, I found Chihiro's sheep analogy interesting; since burnttoast already explained it well, I won't bother repeating it.

As for the story Chihiro will write, I think it's particularly significant since it could expand on or further develop the show's themes whilst also providing a strong method with which to bring the entire cast together, eventually. Bringing everyone together could nicely wrap up some of the most major conflicts with the potential reunion of Hiro, Kei, and Chihiro (as I mentioned above). It might be too soon to predict a happy ending, though.

I thought the Time::Excitement title in this episode was particularly interesting since it highlighted the transience of time, similar to the adage "time flies when you're having fun". I liked how this off-note relates to Chihiro's predicament with time, as well as potentially foreshadowing that the situation won't stay so cheery forever.

On that note, the ending of the episode mentioned the "rain of time". I can't say I'm expecting it, but if the story skips further along to bring us potential group-wide interactions sooner, that would be quite exciting. In any case, since it was mentioned in a healing sense, it doesn't look like we'll be getting more heavy drama quite yet.
Oct 23, 2015 5:42 PM

Jul 2009
So it was kinda Kei's fault that Chihiro was in an accident, just coz she was jealous of Hiro and her.
Dec 21, 2015 4:50 PM
Nov 2014
Backstory part was nicely done.
Nov 12, 2016 3:07 AM

Mar 2015
OP Animation: 3.9/5

Lot of people here are hooked to this show but Im not really attracted much to this show. The best this show I can give is 7/10. I dont think its worth rating more than 8/10 for now.

Chihiro story is better than mine.

3.7/5
Sep 24, 2017 8:29 AM

Nov 2014
i dont know why but this gives me some clannad feels, specially with the lonely island story, card captor sakura manga in this episode tho. this is getting very interesting
Nov 1, 2017 6:13 AM

Jul 2008
Kei Kei Kei....I should have known it had to be her fault.
Mar 12, 2019 5:04 AM

May 2016
The story got deeper I'm looking forward to the future of Chihiro.
Jul 5, 2019 9:01 AM

Jan 2016
Probably the episode with the least artistic liberties so far, but still a solid episode with a lot of development and revalations.
Dec 16, 2020 1:24 AM

Feb 2020
I'm liking this show so far, however I have a few questions regarding Chihiro.
She always says that due to her memory being reset every 13 hours, the one she is one day is different from the one she will be the next day.
But we've only ever seen her with one personality, we've never seen her being different, even when Renji mentionned that she seemed different she really felt the exact same.
So is that just a flaw in the writing ? It's a shame if that's so.
And I wonder another thing, since she considers that her life stopped 4 years ago, does it mean she actually remembers her life before the accident (I mean without the help of her diary) ? After all she, once again, doesn't seem any different from how she was 4 years ago which can only be explain by her remembering her old life, but isn't that illogical if we think about how her memory works ?
It's confusing.
Sep 2, 2022 3:19 PM

May 2018
Don't tell me Kei falls in love with photographer guy...
May 4, 2023 7:14 AM

Jul 2016
As if Kei couldn't be in a worse mood about Hiro, she got called over just to be told that lol

The symbolism of Chihiro's chain radius math problem at the end tho.
May 20, 5:15 AM

Dec 2022
On the contrary, I really like Kei's character. I'm hoping that she ends up with Hiro, as I'm not a big Miyako fan.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - Nov 21, 2007

280 by Miryy »»
May 20, 6:02 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Nov 12, 2007

97 by Miryy »»
May 20, 5:11 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Oct 16, 2007

93 by Miryy »»
May 19, 12:25 PM

» Popularity of this show?? For people who watched when it came out

kcvthewrld - Sep 8, 2023

6 by flomu »»
Nov 27, 2023 12:52 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

radiantfire - Dec 22, 2007

332 by salarx »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.