Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 5, 2013 7:00 PM

Apr 2012
Wait what? Are they seriously gonna start with the Shimabukuro fight off the bat? What?! What about Kamogawa and Nekota's pasts as prized fighters?

What a bummer. I guess i should have seen it since this is just a 25 episode series. Kamogawa's new voice is fine but the commentator also changed? Man, i'm gonna miss the old commentator.

But i'm really glad this is series is back and all.
RedgraveGilverOct 5, 2013 7:07 PM
Oct 5, 2013 7:12 PM

Jul 2011
I think it's time to learn a new move.
Oct 5, 2013 7:15 PM
Dec 2012
Dramatic background story about his dad. Unbelievable he was still standing at the end.

The boxing scene was intense, but somehow I was not impressed so much though I had enjoyed the 1st season and Ashita no Joe. Recently memorable boxing scene was from Blood Lad. Hopefully this 3rd season will not disappoint me.
Oct 5, 2013 7:31 PM

Sep 2012
YEEAAAHHHHHHHH I'M HYPE ALREADY! I loved that ending song too, very nostalgic with all the characters jogging together (even Bryan Hawk?!?!)
Rest In Peace [img]
Oct 5, 2013 7:35 PM

Jul 2012
bpSORE said:
foh i thought it was coming out 2morrow? i didnt finish N.C yet

same here, but yeah, it was 6 october, here it's still 5 but in japan not
Oct 5, 2013 7:45 PM

Jul 2009
all i can say is... OHHHH YEAAAA!!

Definitely good season in my opinion since i get to watch my fav anime and manga Hajime no Ippo + Kuroko Basuke! :D

Although this first ep of Hajime is definitely.. how can i say this.. it was sped up? or too much stuff skipped but its still ok since some of the more important stuff are getting animated!

I just hope that Takamura's fight with Eagle and Ippo's Sawamura fight won't be speed up like this first episode with Iwao. Or maybe they just skip most since with ugly short boxers hahaha but seriously this first ep it felt too fast and alot of events was in it. its like counting from 1 to 10 but suddenly from 2 it went 10.

Its really good though that they kept the VA's for Aoki, Takamura and Kimura, because they will definitely 100% feel really odd and unfit if they put new VA's making the show bad. Although Kamogawa has a new voice, still trying to adjust! lol
Well what i mean mainly is that Aoki Kimura and Takamura are like 3 of the best character in the anime world, and best supporting characters too.

And the new commentator sucks :P I prefer the original one! where is he!

The ending is nice too.. with the way Sawamura is and Brian Hawk its odd to see them jogging with them.

Looking forward to Nanako x Ippo x Kumi x Mari haha :)
T-K-x_Oct 5, 2013 7:52 PM
オール・イズ・バニッティー

Oct 5, 2013 8:04 PM

Aug 2011
IPPO IS BACK! YAY
Now to bring back Hanamichi Sakuragi
Oct 5, 2013 8:24 PM

Dec 2007
I am writing this as I watch the episode. I must say I loved starting with that epic finish.

Loved the NEW OP

Then right into his father. I am a bit surprised they picked this to start, such a sad thing handled poorly could turn away new viewers.

I am wrong, they handled that beautifully. I am sniffling at this.

BIG notice already. The music in RISING is MUCH better done then New Challenger. I felt that was something they really dropped the ball on in New Challenger as the Original run always had some funky guitar, some jazz, something in the background that lent itself to reinforce the emotions of what was going on. This music so far seems spot on and I hope the trend continues.

Further thought 10 minutes in on the music. I think they are doing better then last time around. But, still the original run..it might be bias talking but, I felt the music which was playing in the background 97% of the time even if you could barely hear it. Though doing some reading it seems Tsuneo Imahori is back doing the music as he isn't listed as the music director of New Challenger. So I am satisfied the music will fit the emotion this time around.

Enough about music right the Son of the Sea fight. Is it just me or does Iwao look like a chubby Date. I don't recall him looking so much like him in the Manga. More stubbier and stockier.

So looks like they cut out some of the interaction between Iwao and Ippo and his Mother. I think that is something else they are getting wrong this time around. Everyone I turn onto this show I sell it to them as a CHARACTER driven show that happens to be about boxing. When you take out the character interaction you are taking out it's heart. Then again Iwao could maybe be considered a throw away fight out of any and maybe they felt it important to get one fight going right away. I feel they would have been better served doing this as a double length episode even 10 more minutes would have been enough.

Even though shorter how in the world is this guy a featherweight. I always felt the way this looked in the Manga would be epic Animated. I hope they do the bottom of the sea effect. Oh sweet just when it gets the ocean floor and I agree felt a bit rushed. But, I have to say I enjoyed this.

Good ED

Yay New IPPO. I dig it. Wish they were doing a straight 7 seasons.
Oct 5, 2013 9:15 PM

Aug 2011
The OP is alright.. but i expect more.. like in S1 :))
and Very nice ED.

Ohyeah they're using Tsuneo Imahori music again, also the new challenger bgm and new bgm. Combinated.

Well, way too fast.. and i thought Ippo becomes thinner at first (when i saw him on boat)
i hope this's just like new challenger where the first couple eps seems 'not-attractive' but when at mid and end it becomes really 'powerful' just when Takamura performance start.

**☾**
Oct 5, 2013 9:26 PM
Oct 5, 2013 9:49 PM

Sep 2010
So glad Ippo is back! The part with his Dad was sad. I'm liking this fight so far, looking forward to more. Hope to see some scenes with Kumi-chan too.
Oct 5, 2013 10:00 PM

May 2011
there was a bit rush but i accepted it, we missed the meeting between Shimabukuro and Ippo and Ippo's training but it wasn't that important, i really enjoyed the first episode, the art was good as expected from MH, i liked the New opening/ending.. about Kamogawa's voice, it was good, i really can't tell if the voice actor was changed or not, generally i have enjoyed the show,
Oct 5, 2013 10:09 PM

Mar 2011
This episode felt rushed, awkward and out of place of the Hajime no Ippo franchise. The start, where ippo's past is shown was quite nice and a welcomed experience. However, the anime then jumps into ippo's fight with Shimabukuro. No build up to the meaning to the trunks, the training required and ippo's training in order to conquer the one who would try to conquer ippo's dempsey roll, a move in which he created in his dark hours. The fighting was too clean. It lacked the roughness, the jaggedness the impact of the punches was lacking.

however there are redeeming factors, such as the new seiyuu of Kamogawa, it was well done and had almost the same impact as the original.

We'll just have to see if the season can redeem itself from such a rushed start.
Oct 5, 2013 10:41 PM

Dec 2011
Good episode and it's great to see Ippo past and his dad last moment....the episode seems rushing but i guess they have to do so to catch up with the 1000+ chapters
Oct 5, 2013 10:50 PM
Nov 2009
I didn't mind the fact that stuff was cut too much. We did miss out on good interactions but we already knew they had to adapt a lot this season so I guess they figured they'd cut this instead of the Sawamura/Eagle fights.
Oct 5, 2013 11:51 PM

Mar 2009
It's a shame they cut the Shimabukuro and Ippo meeting. But hey, Ippo's back and that's a good thing.
Oct 6, 2013 12:54 AM

Jun 2008
This is awesome. One of my fave anime continues. More Ippo,Takamura,Aoki,Kimura,rivals so more action,comedy and drama to see. Good luck Ippo!
Oh,and good op and and themes.
Oct 6, 2013 1:48 AM

Apr 2011
IPPOOO! YEAH!

Can't wait for the next episode. :'D
Oct 6, 2013 2:20 AM

Jul 2013
THAT PAST *CRY*
THE NEW OPENING IS LAME COMPARE TO HEKIREKI (amazing).

why the fights starts so fast? the season only began ang immidiatly a fight.

BUT as long as takamura gets is time screen im happy
Oct 6, 2013 2:31 AM

Mar 2009
Talk about starting the new season with a bang! Fantastic episode, but a bit rushed. I found myself pausing alot in the fight to keep up with the pace. :p This isn't exacly like One Piece, and thank god for that. :)
Oct 6, 2013 3:57 AM

Jan 2009
wow they used Hawk's coach voice for Genji...
Oct 6, 2013 4:08 AM
May 2007
To me, kamogawa doesn't have that Raoh feel anymore =( but I say Iizuka is good enough with being the old Ryu Hosei.

I really liked how in the manga it shows more that Ippo had to work on his cardio and how Shimabukuro feels that Ippo is not a true man of the sea and all that. I thought it made their relationship more personal.
Oct 6, 2013 5:29 AM

Aug 2012
Ippo is back...yeah!!! A very good and touching flashback.Fast pace but we have only 25 episodes.Very good opening/ending!

Oct 6, 2013 5:30 AM

Nov 2010
Ohhh, ippo gonna loose? seems like a hard matchup.
Oct 6, 2013 6:44 AM

Jan 2013
The first half was great, it was nice to see Ippo's backstory about his dad visually instead of it just being said. The second half had bad pacing all over the place, what ever happened to the slow build into a fight and rising tension through training like in series 1? I am hoping this is because they didn't want to start the series on a slow build and hopefully the pacing will get better after this as I don't want to see a repeat of season 2.
Oct 6, 2013 7:38 AM

Aug 2013
LOVED IT~!!!!!!! Hajime no Ippo is already on my top 5 and I started to lose hope on ever seeing a new season being aired, and the fact that I'm actually watching new episodes right now makes me extremely happy, the feels though in the first 8 minutes of the episode about Ippo's past was incredible and to start off with a title defense against Shimabukuro was great. Really looking forward to the next episode and hoping there will be more seasons to come! :D
Oct 6, 2013 7:51 AM

Sep 2010
Bad opening compared to NC, Hekireki. But a very well done ED, liked it.

Like other guys mentioned already, I'm not comfortable with material getting cut out, Hope they will not keep doing it permanently. İn terms of fight, even though I'm a manga reader, I'm looking forward to it. A nice fight is waiting for us.

And, oh man, I MISSED IT LIKE HELL! The characters running altogether at the ED put a nice smile on me. I love them as if they're my real friends. Next 24 weeks will be better for my life. :)
Oct 6, 2013 7:53 AM

May 2011
So many feelings!

Hajime no Ippo!
Oct 6, 2013 8:02 AM

May 2012
Do I need to watch all the prequels before watching this ?

I only watched about ~30 episodes of the first season, and I don't have enough free time to finish all of it.
Oct 6, 2013 8:04 AM

Jan 2008
They should have ended the fight in the first episode IMO.
Oct 6, 2013 8:22 AM
Jan 2010
thepath said:
Do I need to watch all the prequels before watching this ?

I only watched about ~30 episodes of the first season, and I don't have enough free time to finish all of it.

Yes, you really do - this is a direct sequel after all, with a big emphasis on the word direct, picking up pretty much immediately after New Challenger finishes.

Several people have asked this question already and honestly, I don't think there should be any reason to ask it, all the anime of Ippo follow on directly on from each other (even if Champion Road and Mashiba vs Kimura are the other way round in the manga), and it's absolutely necessary that you watch all the prequels before even considering watching Rising.
Oct 6, 2013 8:58 AM
Jul 2013
I actually like how the episode was rushed, Ippo's past was really touching and I am glad that the coach's voice is still great, can't wait for more
Oct 6, 2013 9:08 AM

Apr 2007
a sexy start!
Oct 6, 2013 10:07 AM

Dec 2009
What an episode. That flashback was deep. When I first heard the OP preview I was like blah since it did not compare to Heikrei & Inner Light. Listening to it a few times it def has grown on me. Waited years for this season and finally it's here!
Oct 6, 2013 10:33 AM
Oct 2013
The new ost i kinda familiar, did they reuse the ost of the 1st season?
Oct 6, 2013 10:35 AM

Apr 2013
Holy sh*t, Holy sh*t, Holy sh*t, Holy sh*t.
It's back, and good as ever. \o/
Even though it felt incredible rushed, I'm still looking forward for more. *.*
Oct 6, 2013 11:38 AM
Apr 2011
They should bring back Inner Light. That was one of the few songs that is a perfect fit for the anime. It's like Guren no Yumiya of SnK or Sorairo Days of TTGL. When you hear the song you know what anime it came from.
Oct 6, 2013 1:47 PM

Nov 2012
they skipped tons of chapters

but i guess the fights are more important and its a low budget anime
Oct 6, 2013 2:25 PM

Apr 2013
For starters the op, ed and the ost in general were a bit underwhelming. The new voice for the coach wasn't even bad, but why did they change the commentator? WHY?
On the actual episode, the flashback was interesting while the fight a bit less. Hopefully this season will be on par with New Challenger as I absolutely loved that.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Oct 6, 2013 2:29 PM

Jan 2012
Damn, this felt suuuuper rushed, but it was still great.
Oct 6, 2013 3:29 PM

Jul 2013
I enjoyed the episode, finally got to see Dad! New VA for Kamogawa, Genji is indeed an acceptable replacement.... BUT the new commentator was a bit lacklustre! I miss the old commentator so much :(

Oh, What is you guys opinion on those new boxing glove/impact sounds now? I noticed that immediately and I think I liked it... sounded more realistic, but I think the un-realistic thuds were great before too though. Im just worried that they'll change the sound effects for his Dempsey roll... Please no ;_; it sounds so epic right now.

Man, I really miss the original Ippo series overall, old and gold... Was so good.
GreyFoxIndyOct 6, 2013 3:35 PM
Such Heroic Nonsense!
Oct 6, 2013 3:31 PM

Apr 2011
Seemed kind of rushed, but anyway the best boxing anime of all time has returned! LIFE IS GOOD!!
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Oct 6, 2013 4:38 PM

Apr 2011
Welcome back Ippo!!! <333
Oct 6, 2013 4:49 PM

Jun 2013
it's back fuck yeah!! what an epic fight!!
Oct 6, 2013 6:14 PM

Dec 2007
GreyFoxIndy said:
I enjoyed the episode, finally got to see Dad! New VA for Kamogawa, Genji is indeed an acceptable replacement.... BUT the new commentator was a bit lacklustre! I miss the old commentator so much :(

Oh, What is you guys opinion on those new boxing glove/impact sounds now? I noticed that immediately and I think I liked it... sounded more realistic, but I think the un-realistic thuds were great before too though. Im just worried that they'll change the sound effects for his Dempsey roll... Please no ;_; it sounds so epic right now.

Man, I really miss the original Ippo series overall, old and gold... Was so good.

I felt even with the new impact sounds. The punches lost a lot of the FEELING of power. It was like RockemSockEm Robots when Iwao and Ippo were wailing away on each other and there was little damage to show for it.
Oct 6, 2013 10:43 PM

Sep 2011
I liked the OP. Not as much as the others, but it's still pretty good. I wasn't a huge fan of the ED though.

Before I started I was worried that I wasn't going to be fond of Kamogawa's new VA, but I thought he did a great job. It'll take a bit of getting used to, but it's much, much better than I expected.

It did feel very rushed, but I'm hoping they only did it so they could get right into the fight the first episode. I loved the pacing of the first series, so I was hoping that'd make a return here.
Oct 6, 2013 11:31 PM

Dec 2009
An Ippo OP that's not bad. I'm impressed.

First episode and things are already getting intense. The pacing was a bit fast, but it didin't bother me at all. Hopefully this show catches a steady rhythm though.

Also, Ippo's mom was a cutie.
Oct 7, 2013 12:44 AM

Sep 2009
As someone that's read this manga from chapter 1 to it's current chapter three times on top of watching Hajime no Ippo, New Challenger, and all the movies, this episode was a bit disappointing.

First, I'm glad they finally decided to continue with the anime of Hajime no Ippo. And I know it's only episode one, but they could've done so much better. The flashback about Ippo's father was touching, but they could've used that space as a flashback from prior seasons and introduce Shimabukuro and started building some tension. The flashback would've been a perfect ending for this season since it's actually suppose to happen after the Sawamura fight. It feels like they kinda just threw it in there just to do it. On top of that, one of the biggest things that kept me watching the anime was all the tension that built up between fighters and their fights. What happened to all the training Ippo did to go up against Shimabukuro? The training prior to this fight is one of the most important parts of the series since it's where the Dempsey Roll begins to evolve. And do they plan on skipping the turning point of this fight? Unless they do a flashback scene of Ippo's training, most people wouldn't be able to understand the reasoning behind it (unless of course they read the manga or looked at spoilers). If they plan on just skipping all the buildup for all the fights like this, which hopefully they wouldn't, I'd rather stick to re-reading the manga for a fourth time.

tl;dr
This episode is too fast paced compared to the other episodes of the series. I understand that they only have 25 episodes to get to the end of the Sawamura fight, but I personally would've been completely content with this season ending after Aoki's title fight and actually having a storyline rather than them just skipping through major points in the story just to get to the Sawamura fight. Chances are I'll stick with this and see it through to the end, but hopefully they do much better starting next episode.
Oct 7, 2013 5:21 AM

Oct 2010
The pacing felt a bit fast but great episode regardless; totally worth the wait XD. Great ED and OP as well!
Oct 7, 2013 6:08 AM

Sep 2012
YES
Ippo is starting again, i was waiting for so long :D
The battle was good and im looking forward to the next episode.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: Rising Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

shyuga8499 - Nov 9, 2013

70 by Meritas »»
May 25, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: Rising Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Daipyon - Oct 12, 2013

80 by Meritas »»
May 11, 4:10 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: Rising Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2014

164 by KingAFONY »»
Apr 29, 1:31 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: Rising Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

weiss - Oct 19, 2013

75 by Ukkaz »»
Apr 19, 10:24 PM

» Season 4 ? ( 1 2 )

marian11 - Mar 29, 2014

85 by ParaParaJMo »»
Mar 13, 2:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.