Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 5 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 2, 2013 11:47 AM
Jan 2013
Welil said:
Meh, I'm kinda sad that it wasn't something anyone could guess with deduction, a lot of information where said in the trial and not before it...

Though rushed, there were still enough clues to guess the culprit. It's just that the anime was so rushed that they didn't explain everything properly, but the evidence is all there.
Aug 2, 2013 11:49 AM

May 2013
Wow I am stunned that it had to be Oowada. So Chihiro was a guy just like everyone guessed.

I expected Fukawa as Genocider Sho, but damn does she look crazy! Ishimaru getting so emotional :(

Who the heck was Monokuma talking to at the end? Can't wait for the next episode.
Aug 2, 2013 12:03 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Who monokuma was talking to o.o
Aug 2, 2013 12:07 PM

Jun 2013
Fukawa just went from my least favorite character to my favorite in like, 2 seconds.

Poor Ishimaru... his crying broke my heart. He even voted for himself. In fact, the whole story with Chihiro and Oowada was pretty sad.
Aug 2, 2013 12:18 PM

Jul 2010
Wasn't too fond of this episode. The pacing wasn't as good as the first trial, imo. But it wasn't bad. I feel sad for Ohwada-kun, though.
Aug 2, 2013 12:23 PM
Feb 2013
oh my god who the hell is the 16. student I can't waiiiit
Aug 2, 2013 12:30 PM

Jul 2010
I had so many mixed feelings watching this episode, but mostly bad ones. I hope the game is better, because the anime is a disappointing, rushed mess.
Aug 2, 2013 12:33 PM

Jan 2013
Ishimaru was one of my favorite characters how dare they SDffjdsdfl

edit: Touko Fukawa was the best, Genocider Syo makes her even more appealing.
teasoulNov 5, 2013 12:36 PM
Aug 2, 2013 12:34 PM

Dec 2012
i always knew something's weird about touko. and i saw a lot of pictures where she looked crazy, so i expected her to be crazy and it didn't surprise me. but i really like her other personality - super duper high school murderer ftw :D
and miyuki sawashiro did an amazing job at voicing her. i didn't expect anything less <3

it was really obvious that the murderer's either mondo or kiyotaka. they had so much screentime last week - and that's always a bad sign.
but it's kind of sad that chihiro told mondo his secret and then he gets killed by him :/

well, i don't think you can say mondo killed his brother. sure, he might be responsible for it because he wanted that last showdown, but in the end it was his brother who decided to die for him. and i'm pretty sure a lot of people would call it an accident. i guess it's pretty much a dark grey area.

i'm really excited about all those other secrets. i mean everyone probably already assumed that at least one of them killed someone (and mondo and touka were these kind of people), so i don't think another one will have the same secret. what kind of dark secrets do the other people have?

i was really excited about the next punishment, but i can't say it was spectacular. i enjoyed the previous one so much more.

and about the ending: the whole time i was sure that one of them is responsible for that whole game or that at least someone's working with monokuma. and here we are! yes, i was right. kyouko is the most mysterious one so far, but i think it would be too easy...

/still waiting for the soundtrack
Aug 2, 2013 12:46 PM

Jul 2013
niceeeuuuuhhh
Aug 2, 2013 1:03 PM

Feb 2010
I thought the second trail was excellent. I felt Ishimaru's sadness, which made up for no MTB. The only thing I would have definitely preferred there to be a little something about, was Togami explaining that he did that to prepare for "his murder".
Aug 2, 2013 1:20 PM

Jan 2012
Togami, you sly guy!! >__< Bit dramatic when they revealed that fukawa had split personalities.
Damn, I felt for Ishimaru. Him and Mondo really were getting along well :/
The whole ending didn't make me tear up, but did make me feel depressed. Mondo really did seem to regret what he committed whole heartedly.
Aug 2, 2013 1:20 PM

Feb 2013
everyone said that the bookworm was gonna be the lamest character ever
Aug 2, 2013 1:21 PM

Jul 2010
Rushed trial is rushed, but the most important parts were there. Man, Genocider is even scarier while animated!

They're already revealing the presence of the 16th student huh? I thought they did that later in the game.

Aug 2, 2013 1:35 PM

Jul 2013
Super fast episode, wow. The Genocider looked very silly to me at first. I got used to it fairly quickly, but still. Certainly not my favourite character design. I'm very curious about that 16th member and how they'll be introduced...
Aug 2, 2013 1:35 PM

May 2011
That was the fastest trial I've ever seen. Stuff flew over my head because so much stuff was being thrown all at once. Sure, they're nailing the game's key mechanics like the Nonstop Debate bullets, but that was too quick. The audience was supposed to be led on by Genocider Sho and Togami more; the game made me think Togami really did it.

If only these episodes were like, 48 minutes.
Aug 2, 2013 1:45 PM

Sep 2012
This case was much better adapted than the first one, it was a surprise.

Although they still asspulled some stuff at the end, like Fujisaki's desire for training, the ElectroIDs that were simply found by Kirigiri in the last episode but didn't get any explanation, and the possibility of frying ElectroIDs with high temperature, at least they gave the background of the characters in the end, which didn't happen to Maizono in the first case.
Aug 2, 2013 2:04 PM

Jul 2012
Mittee said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
ok im probably gonna sound like an idiot, but what the fuck is a MTB, i google it and it says it means mountain bike

Machinegun Talk Battle. As mentioned above, it's the rhythm minigame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAfEJrIp5nk
By the way, there are spoilers in the recommended videos so watch out.

WAIT?! There's a music mini-game within DR?! (Believe me I love rhythm games.)
Looks fun... Monobear why...

But animated Genocider Syo, Ishi crying, and tragic flashbacks.. Oh that was worth it.

And butter.

It was actually... Mind blowing in it's own way that there are multiple accuses, especially to Syo and Togami (whom I still thought he would make a nice main protagonist too).

"Everyone go love Cyan!"
Aug 2, 2013 2:35 PM
Apr 2013
THE ENDING!!! So one of the students is working with monobear. Now this person was drinking tee so it would seem to be Cecilla but who knows.
Poor Ishimaru :(
Aug 2, 2013 2:38 PM

Sep 2007
Man I love how Monobear ate the Mondo butter on his pancakes at the end. :') And how when he drank the tea it just spilled down his plushie neck because he is a stuffed bear and can't ingest anything I guess but still tries(?). :''")

Anyways everyone says it was rushed rushed whatever and I guess it was but I liked this ep!
Aug 2, 2013 2:39 PM
Feb 2008
Full of surprises O.o I really thought Togami was the murderer - I'm glad he actually wasn't though.
Aug 2, 2013 2:39 PM

Oct 2012
Genocider Syo huh, that's some freaky stuff and now we have to wait to see who's gonna die next time.
Aug 2, 2013 2:41 PM

Dec 2012

She honestly spooked me a little with that snake tongue of her >_< So we know Genocider Sho were gonna kill Togami since she will cut anyone she loves. Brilliant. Fukawa is a stereotypical fujoshi while her alternative is an extreme yandere. Before this, I said Fukawa is an uninteresting character and might be killed off very soon. But now, Genocider Sho interesting personality will help Fukawa survive late into this series. Who wouldn't want to keep a serial killer around to spook the place even more?! Lucky for Togami though, Fukawa seems to hate him now, so he will live ;)

----------

I did guess Fukawa's double personality was the killer. I'm glad I was wrong; and that makes this anime much more interesting for me. However:

_ Togami is pretty incompetent as a detective-wanna-be. He were the one setting up the whole crucifixion scene to force Genocider Sho out and trick the real killer, but he did not notice a) that gravure idol picture was switched and b) Fujisaki is a boy while moving him around. a) can be explained by Togami's absence from the gym due to reading book all day in the library, and b) can be said that he did not want to "touch" a dead girl body. Even so, a detective who fails to examine crime scene cannot hope to beat Monokuma. Not to mention Togami's whole plan would backfire if Naegi did not realize the his shock when the students heard the news about Chihiro's gender.

_ The reason for Oowada to kill Fujisaki requires a bit of stretch or is not illustrated enough by the anime. Oowada seems to feel jealous of Fujisaki for having the courage to confront his dark secret while Oowada can't. The fact that Fujisaki is a weak little guy with stronger mentality irritated that biker even more. But is jealousy over something like that enough to kill someone? Especially when the anime also makes it look like Oowada admire and be protective of Fujisaki?

_ The rushed pace seems to affect emotional involvement as well. I felt a bit for Fujisaki's situation, but nothing for Oowada's sad past and Ishimaru's bromance. I were probably detached because their characters and relationships were never developed further. But is it a bad thing? Some people said it's not like the game where emotion is very high for each death. However, I think detached emotion is sometime good for a detective story, which this anime is portraying as. Just like with reading Detective Conan, detached emotion helps me see the evidences in an objective way. Thus, it increases my enjoyment as I'm trying to solve the cases myself.

----------

Some other points that I find interesting:

_ During the confrontation scene in ep 4, Monokuma said "They are trying to convince themselves" as Naegi were telling everyone to calm down. This is amusing to Monokuma precisely because he knows that none of them are angels. They are either killers or hiding disturbing secrets. Thus, to him, the scene where demon acts like angel represents extreme hypocrisy from the students

_ The fact that Togami hastily open the girl's locker room while hearing Naegi's warning in ep 4 hinted that Togami had been in the room before.

_ The broken student manual that Enoshima collected belongs to Oowada, not Kuwata, meaning the real Kuwata's student manual is still out there and someone can use it to commit the next murder.

_ Traces of protein shake Oogami dropped can be found on the carpet in the male's locker room since Oowada switched decoration.

_ Monokuma's 16th student revelation might be just a play of word by him. As we know, there are 15 students in this school. However, adding Genocider Sho and we have 16. With that, the spy No. 16 might not be an extra student, but one of the student in the group. Right now, I suspect Kirigiri since she seems to know what's going on.

_ Coffee with sugar and milk is the way No 16 likes to drink his/her coffee. If we look out for that hint, we might be able to guess who his/her identity in the up-coming episodes.
Aug 2, 2013 2:50 PM

Feb 2011
"Fujisaki Chihiro was a crossdresser!"

Brutally facepalmed myself at that line. It was pretty clear already because he sounded like a guy trying to do a girl's voice to begin with.
Aug 2, 2013 2:50 PM

May 2013
The actual trial part was okay, I would have liked a little bit more Genocider Syo though. The after trial part was much better. I feel really bad for Chihiro, now that he finally wanted to face his weakness, the guy he probably looked up to the most murdered him. Mondo should be proud of a brother like this.
Aug 2, 2013 3:06 PM

Feb 2012
Wow the book girl was Genocider Syo, I should have know, it's always the quiet ones who are the most crazy.

I felt so bad for Ishimaru, I know how it feels to lose a bro friend, at one point where he got close to Monokuma, I was expecting him to hit him, and get killed.

Fujisaki being a trap, probably 90 % of us saw this one coming.

The punishment was fucked up damn, he turned him into butter, and then ate him lmao.

Best episode thus far.
Aug 2, 2013 3:17 PM

Jul 2011
Way to rushed in my opinion, It feels like someone, who didn't play the game (or watched gameplay on youtube, like me) don't even have time to get a liking to anyone (and be concerned about what happens to the characters). The 12-eps format wont do any giid for this series (I'ts 5 episodes right now, and we didn't even enter a part's with more plot and char. development)
Aug 2, 2013 3:22 PM

May 2012
Touko > gEy Genocider Sho

Lame and predictable.
I've been suspecting that Beeburr's a male since episode 1.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Aug 2, 2013 3:31 PM

Jun 2012
Ending didn't have the impact as the first execution but still interesting nonetheless.

Should've known it was either him or the other Bro when the show was focusing on them before the murder
Aug 2, 2013 3:43 PM

Mar 2013
Subtle Jojo reference in this ep when Owada's coat said Crazy Diamond.
Aug 2, 2013 3:54 PM
Jan 2008
Tell me if I am wrong, but I thought in the last episode Monokuma said that if a boy sets foot in the girl's locker room, he will be killed by the mini guns on the ceiling. And it is not possible to borrow someone else student handbook, because Monokuma forbade it. So how come that Owada can change the carpets and posters between the two locker room? The moment he tries to enter the girl's locker room, he will be killed.
Aug 2, 2013 3:57 PM

Dec 2012
Anyone wanna spoil me about the person monobear talks to at the end?
Aug 2, 2013 4:01 PM

Apr 2013
ckberserker said:
Tell me if I am wrong, but I thought in the last episode Monokuma said that if a boy sets foot in the girl's locker room, he will be killed by the mini guns on the ceiling. And it is not possible to borrow someone else student handbook, because Monokuma forbade it. So how come that Owada can change the carpets and posters between the two locker room? The moment he tries to enter the girl's locker room, he will be killed.

Only if they attempted to follow them in while the door was still open. Since Mondo had access to Maizono's and Junko's ids, he was able to enter safely.

tsudecimo said:
Anyone wanna spoil me about the person monobear talks to at the end?

Aug 2, 2013 4:04 PM
Oct 2010
ewww bitch put that tongue back inside before i rip it off. kinky bitch

man this series doesnt let you think for yourself. fucking lame.

he was turned to butter? how stupid. gay edits
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Aug 2, 2013 4:13 PM

Apr 2013
KingCez said:
ewww bitch put that tongue back inside before i rip it off. kinky bitch

man this series doesnt let you think for yourself. fucking lame.

he was turned to butter? how stupid. gay edits

Nah , he got minced . If they already shown the scene of a possible mole it means it's not long before you find out who Monobear really is.....this is will going to be fun.
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Aug 2, 2013 4:46 PM

Apr 2013
VanishingKira said:
Dat Oowada & Ishimaru bromance XD.

So Oowada killed Fujisaki out of envy.

What a weird death,I understood the Motorcycle death cage but being turned to butter?

Ishimaru is devastated.

And another high schooler?

Nah , all highschoolers have been introduced with one missleading .
The kill was done out of rage unlike other kills , it wasnt planned and it was done in a desperate manner to point out at different persons . But even if you take out the thought that you spoiled yourself the killer still would have been either Ishimaru or Owada , no matter how you put it , its pretty simple for a murderer to use someone elses stuff to confuse the investigators.
What can I say.....low budget anime. They could atleast make a different version of the "punishment" screen and show how he actually pulled him not the 8bit literally cut out of the game .
This episode was literally 51% anime and 49% game version not that I expect something else from a low-budget anime.....I happen to like alot a low budget anime.
FluffyFleshAug 2, 2013 4:52 PM
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Aug 2, 2013 4:55 PM

Aug 2009
Genocider Shou is crazy, like-nightmare-fuel crazy. Now they have a real serial killer on the loose in the school, so creepy, but at least they know the truth. I originally guessed that she was behind the crucifixion part, though it didn't cross my mind that Togami was the one who mingled with the crime scene. He did it to make things more interesting and to test the others skills. He thereby proved that many of them are easily lead astray, which would mean a fatal end. Togami is sly, he's playing the game like a boss and his goal is set in stone. I can see it's clever tactics but he gives crap about the other classmates which makes him unsympathetic and cruel.

Mondo, Mondo... that's just sad. I think if you get to know him, he'll be a great buddy to hang out with. Ishimaru's tearful breakdown proved this point. Mondo took the punishment like a man, he didn't want to drag the trial further, RIP bro. I like the parallel between Mondo and Chihiro, they where different types of characters but still alike when it came to carrying a mask to hide their weakness and both wanted to become stronger.

Last but not least, Monobear was talking with a mysterious figure - some fuel for speculation >:D With five people dead within eight days, the plot moves fast forward. I'm starting to think that the students will not even outlast a month.
Aug 2, 2013 5:00 PM

May 2013
Ok, I'm going to sound stupid but I have no clue how Mondo died there :/
Aug 2, 2013 5:05 PM

Apr 2013
HandSonicvI said:

Put a couple of potatoes in the mixer , start the mixer and see what happend to the potatoes.
Aug 2, 2013 5:06 PM
May 2010
HandSonicvI said:

He was liquefied by immense g-forces. Hence the butter.
Aug 2, 2013 5:09 PM

Feb 2008
HandSonicvI said:

Easy, the cage is connected to some generators, it kind of implies the acceleration and electricity made his body liquify. As for the JoJo reference - the whole character is a reference. His cloak has Crazy Diamond written on the back, his haircut is exactly the same as Josuke Higashikata (he also gets mad when someone pokes fun at his haircut). In the game he also constantly uses ORA!
Aug 2, 2013 5:13 PM

Jan 2013
it was weird how they used the game element of that anagram guess word , but it wasn't bad , although not necessary, the episode was ok .. the end also was good and all that talk about the 16th student ..
next episode will be nice i guess ( if it take that one scene from the game xD )
-CnXaDi.
Aug 2, 2013 5:26 PM

Jul 2013
I was surprised at the Genocider Sho personality that Fukawa has, it was really sadistic, but it makes so hilarious with the BL obsession xD. I actually thought she would be the killer, but finding out Oohwada did it kind of surprised me. I felt some tears about to come out my eye when Ishimaru was crying, I felt bad for him, he even voted for himself ;_;

I'm also really glad that we got to learn more Oohwada and Chihiro, although they're both gone now... But with things the way they are now, I'm not sure if anyone will be able to get to talk or hang out with each other, so I'll be looking forward to see how they all interact with each other from now on.
Aug 2, 2013 5:50 PM

Sep 2012
The Oowada butter is quite disturbing. I loved seeing Genocider Sho <3
Aug 2, 2013 6:07 PM

Dec 2011
Oh wow. Genocider Sho is awesome!
I think the relationship between the characters will start to dwindle down now that they know a murderer is in them.

Also, the death isn't as scary as the one with the baseball.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 2, 2013 6:08 PM

Dec 2007
Yeah it was really rushed but they did what they can to fit it in 1 episode and I feel for Ishimaru...
Aug 2, 2013 6:30 PM

Jun 2013
I almost shed a tear when I saw how sad and depressed Ishimaru was to hearing the news. Their bromance was awesome. ;(

I was VERY surprised with all the events that took place though for some reason, the end seemed a bit rushed to me but that might just be me. I'm definitely looking forward to next week's episode.
Aug 2, 2013 6:38 PM

Apr 2011
Apparently there's a 16th student according to the ending? Sounds interesting, though I have to wonder how that will change the ED and the lineup at the end of the episode.

Didn't see the victim actually being a trap. I have to wonder, now that Genosider has revealed herself, if she'll be a murderer or a victim. If she follows her usual MO, she'll be caught without difficulty now that everyone knows her signature style. Seems more like she'll end up as a victim.

4/5
Aug 2, 2013 6:38 PM

Nov 2011
mistress_kisara said:
Yeah it was really rushed but they did what they can to fit it in 1 episode and I feel for Ishimaru...

Yep too bad for that they have to skip so many things, since this is 13 episode anime what can they do, sigh....
Nevertheless seeing Ishimaru cry is heartbreaking, poor guy. Genocider Syo is a treat to see, Sawashiro does good job for that. Togami still a dick like usual but he awesome because of that. That foreshadowing at the end are really good.

Just watched all the 5 episodes. I could say this adaptation is probably will end up like DeSu2 anime (Same director duhh) but at least compared to the latter, this is faithful & less annoying than what monstrosity of DeSu2 anime become.

Basically both anime's purpose is to promote the upcoming new game in Japan. (Break Record for DeSu2 & enhanced Vita port for Danganronpa)
It does work for Danganronpa which the original PSP version sales skyrocket when anime started lol. Can't wait to see how much Vita version will sale since it also included the sequel too.

Ah well, I will watch this till the end just to see some stuff in animated form.
arena149Aug 2, 2013 6:44 PM
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2013

417 by BakaDorayaki »»
May 16, 2:05 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2013

436 by amychar »»
May 7, 3:17 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ihateeveryone - Jul 4, 2013

559 by aramkqly »»
Mar 16, 4:04 AM

» how should i watch Danganronpa ?

TheAdo - Dec 29, 2016

19 by InstantRamenKing »»
Feb 9, 10:20 PM

» whats up with Kyoko Kirigiri hands?

EagleEd - Jan 13, 2018

5 by kaamsas »»
Jan 13, 7:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.