Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 29, 2013 5:46 PM

Nov 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
The definition of grimdark is a bit iffy, I wouldn't really use this term when talking about fictional works but rather user unneccessary strong and graphic depictions of violence, negative emotions and other stuff that usually caters to the "edgy crowd" (see what I mean with vague definitions?).

Shingeki certainly plays with these tropes and it is overhyped atm, but it is by no means a horrible manga like the ones we have on our list so far.

This. I consider Berserk VERY grimdark, but it works fantastically for the series.
Apr 29, 2013 6:02 PM

Feb 2008
Shingeki is really overhyped, but by no means is it bad. I can see why zerkalo dropped it though. That's why I like the decision to put the training first in the anime. After the intro, they throw you right away into action, while in the anime they moved the training arc first, so you can get to know the characters. That's Shingeki's main issue.

After the training arc, it's just action action action, with maybe 1 plot chapter every 10 chapters. Sure, it's an action manga. But as a survival manga, character development is really important. I don't even know the name of most side characters that died. Heck, I didn't even remember Ymir and Christa until the current arc. And I read the whole manga in two days. Talk about forgettable cast haha.

Which brings me to the question... Does anyone else care about the character development? I feel like I'm the only one who dislikes Shingeki because of the lack of character development, and slow story progression. I see people bitching about Shingeki anime NOT having action, while I feel like Shingeki needs more bonding, and I hope it'll have anime original material with character bonding, just like they extended the second episode.

Note: I don't really dislike Shingeki, I like it, it's just that it irritates me a bit, as it's really interesting and it's a shame for it to have such simple flaws.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 29, 2013 6:20 PM

Nov 2011
I agree Zeta. I haven't read the manga and I don't plan to ever but as for the anime they just kind of throw you into everything. The training arc is helping, although the pacing up to it was really sudden. There are ways to lead into a timeskip well and I feel SnK didn't do this part well, but it was minor enough for me to overlook it.

What is REALLY worrying me is the similarities it's starting to have to SAO. Pretty much personality-less main character (which works in some series) coupled with overly badass gorgeous personality-less female lead (once again, works in some series), takes itself UBER seriously yet uses 'anime faces' for comedy (just circles for eyes when something is meant to be funny) which I think takes away, their are ways to make comedic facial expressions without using 'anime comedy faces'- See any American cartoon (superhero comics in particular). Then there's the fact that the main guy is starting to turn out to be a Gary Stu (Got up on the bungee thing even though it was broken, although it did take quite a bit of work), and the fact that his 'sister' character (I think she's just a friend who acts as a sister?) is clearly in love with him
Apr 29, 2013 6:25 PM

Apr 2009
Mikasa is more of a Mary Stu than Eren (last of her "race", genius, portrayed as the ideal imouto/waifu type, etc.), but he got his fair share of random Shounen powerups and DEM.

Still, the story is not finished yet and we should wait with our judgement on some deatils until some of the really big twists are finally revealed and explained. They dropped more than enough hints already.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 30, 2013 4:09 AM

Nov 2012
I guess I shouldn't have made this proposal since I only read very few Manga. But so far it has probably been the worst I've read and the second I've dropped (the other one, Gantz, was atleast entertaining at some parts). The grimdarkness wasn't the only thing I disliked about it.

Neane1993 said:
Your favorite manga is BLAME! and that's a pretty grimdark title. Unless you have a completely different meaning for the word "Grimdark" than the rest of us I fail to see how something being "Grimdark" is inherently bad in itself.

I didn't say that every story that could be considered grimdark is bad but grimdark itself, brutality for the sake of brutality, is bad in my opinion. Blame! has alot things making up for it and in contrast to Shingeki I didn't get the feeling of pointless gore in Blame!.
Apr 30, 2013 4:17 AM

Apr 2009
If Shingeki is the worst you have read I am a bit envious of you.
Apr 30, 2013 4:21 AM

Nov 2012
I've only finished 20 manga.
Apr 30, 2013 4:37 AM

Apr 2009
Zerkalo said:
I've only finished 20 manga.

And all of tham sound good so far, nice.

I'm not against adding Suzuka to our relations as well.
May 7, 2013 2:26 PM

Jun 2011
Anyone for/against Battle Royale being added to the Relations?
May 7, 2013 6:51 PM
Jun 2009
ForgoneReality said:
Anyone for/against Battle Royale being added to the Relations?

I'm against. It's a great manga.
May 7, 2013 7:00 PM

Jun 2011
The art is great, but the overworld mechanics don't work, the writing is HIGHLY manipulative and at times predictable, and there is a lot of convenient plot points and character deaths/survivals.

Even though the author makes really good characters, it's only for the point of then killing them off to evoke sympathy from the reader.
May 7, 2013 7:40 PM
Jul 2018
I'm with Forgone for adding Battle Royale to the list, Gantz is in it so why not this?

>According to the rules, every year since 1947, 42 third-year high school students are isolated, and each student is required to fight to the death until one student remains.

For a manga that is grounded on realism, that description about the plot just sounds very implausible and baffles anyone with a speck of common sense. For no logical reason, the government basically takes a bunch of random strangers to kill each other for the sake of killing each other, with the character development being shoehorned in, and don't forget the forced violence like Forgone mentioned.

The whole thing just screams like a b-rated movie with a plot that is trying too hard to be deep. Also its popularity is at rank 74, that's HIGH.
removed-userMay 7, 2013 9:46 PM
May 7, 2013 8:08 PM
Jul 2018
Against it being added. Should this be polled I will put down my thoughts about it.
May 7, 2013 8:10 PM

Jun 2011
Have you guys ever polled a manga? I don't see any in the threads.
May 7, 2013 9:44 PM
Jul 2018
I think we should start polling manga too, this club's take on manga seem to be lacking compared to anime. Gantz was thrown into the relations list without ever given a chance.
May 7, 2013 10:05 PM
Jul 2018
Burningblade04 said:
I think we should start polling manga too, this club's take on manga seem to be lacking compared to anime.

One of the reasons for that might be because people who are a part of this club don't tend to read a lot of manga but do tend to watch a ton of anime.
May 7, 2013 10:07 PM

Jun 2009
I haven't read the manga, but the live action movie is Quentin Tarantino's favorite film. I refuse to believe the manga is bad until I read it and find out for myself. But, the fact the movie is a favorite of one of my favorite directors....it can't be that bad.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 7, 2013 10:56 PM
Jun 2009
ForgoneReality said:
Even though the author makes really good characters, it's only for the point of then killing them off to evoke sympathy from the reader.

Well, it worked in my case, since I do feel sympathy for many of the characters.

One fascinating thing about Battle Royale is how it goes to extremes in two opposite directions (with very little middle ground between those two extremes). From the little that I've read, these types of seinen manga seem to go to the extreme in only one of the directions: ultra-violence. Battle Royale certainly provides loads of blood and guts, but then it also has - in the flashbacks of the good guys - maybe the most idealistic depiction of adolescence that I've seen in manga: all rock 'n roll, basketball and puppy love (it's only the darker characters who have sex). The intense contrast between the two tones, pitch black and purest white, keeps the series from being bland, and makes both halves more moving than they would be separately. If the flashback parts were published as a stand-alone manga, they would feel even more sentimental than they already do, but in Battle Royale they are often the last thoughts of dying teenagers, and this excuses the sentimentality somewhat, and gives these moments a feeling of fragile happiness. Similarly, if the island scenes were a separate manga, it might seem like a repetitive parade of deaths, and the characters little more than chess pieces to be removed from the board in entertaining ways; here, however, most of the deaths are tragic, and there is a strong sense of loss.

I can't deny that there is some manipulative and predictable writing, and some convenient plotting, but it didn't bother me too much. A lot of manga have that problem, including some acclaimed ones, such as Naoki Urasawa's works (which are still fairly good, although the manipulation annoys me much more there), and Bokurano (I've only read 3 volumes), which has a tactic similar to Battle Royale's of spotlighting a character and then killing them.

So you think the "art is great" and "the author makes really good characters", but you still want to send it to Relations!

What did you mean by "overworld mechanics"?
May 12, 2013 6:28 PM

Feb 2008
Are Infinite Stratos and Hidan no Aria really that popular, hyped and overrated to be on the relation list? With only 600-800 people reading them, I don't think they are worthy being on the relation list.

May 15, 2013 1:57 AM

May 2012
I'm kinda on the fence for Battle Royale being added to the relations. It's my absolute favourite manga, but it would be pointless for me to even to try to deny that it runs on shock value, creepy sex and stupid gore.

The worst thing about it, I think, is the shitty english adaptation with all it's weird slang and even more shock value added. Obviously, that shouldn't affect whether or not it gets added to relations, because that is the fault of Tokyopop and not the creators.

Battle Royale was the first thing I've ever read that made me cry, which I feel kinda silly admitting because, like I said, it's a stupid gorefest. But I could actually feel for the characters, some of the backstories were heartbreaking. The underlying themes were reasonably well implemented in my opinion to.

So if it was added to the relations list, I wouldn't protest it, but ultimately I don't think it belongs there.
May 16, 2013 9:06 PM

Dec 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
BloodRequiem said:
Suggestion: Wolf Guy

Classic case of adding in pointless sex and gore to make it LOL DEEP DARKNESS FAGGOTRY.

While we are at it, maybe Akumetsu as well?
People read way too much into it and it also falls pray to the gore = deep trap.

I second the inclusion of akumetsu.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
May 16, 2013 9:25 PM
Jul 2018
Third'd Akumetsu, the moral themes in this manga is just ridiculous,

A: "Oh hey guess what everyone, we have a bunch of corrupt officials running the government, what do we do?"
B: "What else to do but to kill them in a slow, horrible painful death?"
A: "Of course! For this kind situation violence is always the answer! Thank you for expressing me your juvenile thoughts!"

It's also the manga that inspired Death Note.
removed-userMay 16, 2013 9:33 PM
May 28, 2013 11:26 PM

Dec 2009
Do light novels count as well?
May 28, 2013 11:47 PM

Nov 2011
Of course. SAO is on the list.
May 29, 2013 12:20 AM

Dec 2012
Could we put Rosario+Vampire (and Season II) on the relations list? After seeing so many cosplayers of that series, and their current rank I think it would be a good idea.

The fact that a series that relies on ecchi harem hijinks and flat characters for entertainment, with a little action sprinkled in is higher than actual quality titles isn't right to me.
May 29, 2013 12:32 AM

Oct 2012
VentusCross said:
Could we put Rosario+Vampire (and Season II) on the relations list? After seeing so many cosplayers of that series, and their current rank I think it would be a good idea.

The fact that a series that relies on ecchi harem hijinks and flat characters for entertainment, with a little action sprinkled in is higher than actual quality titles isn't right to me.

I thought it was already on our list. I was mistaken. Toss them in.
May 29, 2013 12:44 AM

Dec 2012
Ducat_Revel said:
VentusCross said:

I thought it was already on our list. I was mistaken. Toss them in.

Sorry Ducat, but could you or another officer/admin do it for me? I can't add it them, I don't have the authority.
May 29, 2013 1:45 AM
May 29, 2013 7:52 AM

Jun 2011
I thought Rosario had already been there too...
Man, it seems like we keep having phantom entries disappear in this club lately.
Either that, or we're all going collectively insane.
May 29, 2013 8:04 AM

Aug 2009
I too thought Rosario was already on the relations.
Could there be a plebeian spy among us admins?
Or is MAL acting up?
Or is my mind playing tricks on me?
May 29, 2013 8:16 AM

Jun 2011
I've never heard of MAL quirks affecting club lists.
Yep, it's either a traitor or slowly encroaching madness. Only two options on Earth.
May 29, 2013 8:19 AM

Aug 2009
I haven't heard it either, but I woulnd't put it past MAL.
Besides, it's kind of more comfortable to delude ourselves that it's a result of MAL being MAL than to accept the other two options.
May 29, 2013 9:28 AM

Apr 2013
I also against for adding battle royale to the list.

The reason it become a cult for literature and movie is for its plot: the psychological effects surrounding middle school students that forced to kill the people they usually hang out with. This entire theme leads to terrific and fast character development as they learned how the people around them is not the same person when faced with almost certain death (great lesson comes hard).

As for some unclear context such as the reason why the government throwing random students for battle royale is explained clearly in the novel. I don't remember whether the manga has explained it or not, because there are some alternation from the original novel (such as some of the character's pasts and behaviors)

but still, the manga tries the hardest it can to preserve the execptional novel counterpart, and it sure did a good job at it.
BR is not an enlightment material for sure (for its incompetence to preserve the original novel quality!) but definitely not for relation list
May 29, 2013 9:57 AM

Jun 2011
Yes, BR is a fantastic concept, and has inspired many other works! It's just that, so far in the manga, there is no proper explanation for how/why the government is doing this and getting away with it or maintaining control over their people. That right there breaks down the whole allusion of realism along with certain characters who are nigh indestructible or posses unlimited ammo.

I mean, it's not the most necessary addition to the relations list, but I still think it's earned its spot there for how much people praise it.
May 29, 2013 10:15 AM

Nov 2011
I'll add it in, I thought it was there too, but technically it doesn't meet the 7.7 score. It still should be there though.
May 29, 2013 10:47 AM

Apr 2013
BR manga is indeed inferior to its novel counterpart, and it lacks a lot of aspects

but it still pain to see a favorite manga to be sent to the relation list.....
May 29, 2013 12:36 PM

Apr 2013
and while we at it, can we poll detective conan/meitantei conan on the list? the reason is:
- repititive cases and suddendly become boring
- no charc development, not even the tiniest bit (except for Ai)
- the plot suddendly slow down, very slow, and seems endless..

the current popularity of the manga is no 100 something, maybe because it runs too long and doesn't seem to finish soon
but it had one of the biggest fanbase before the trio mainstream got big (op,naruto,bleach) and still mantain a large fanbase until now

so?
May 29, 2013 3:27 PM

Nov 2011
We don't poll stuff unless there's a large divide. You are the first person to mention Conan and personally I am against putting Conan on the list and I'm sure many others are. Some anime are good being episodic and even formulaic, and Conan is one of them.
AmberlehMay 29, 2013 3:47 PM
May 29, 2013 3:31 PM

Feb 2008
I am also against putting Conan on the relation list.

May 30, 2013 3:32 AM

Dec 2012
BR gets a lot of hate. Not very overrated at all. It's arguably bad and very unrealistic in the worst way possible, but it does have some decent art and action. Besides, the question is not whether it is bad, but whether it is bad and popular and overrated. Plenty of other titles are more deserving. Shouldn't we at least get a poll? It's what, 4 opposed? Not really a consensus there.

Also, akumetsu's inclusion was supported by three people with none opposed that I saw. Should we get a poll or just add it? Either way that's kind of a consensus.
PolyphemusMay 30, 2013 3:39 AM
Jun 1, 2013 7:25 PM

Jan 2013
Found another relations worthy manga I read in the past, Gamaran. I had totally forgotten about it for a while, but I checked it out way back because a YT user made a recommendation video about it, and it sucks. I read about 36 chapters and it is straightforward historical shonen tourney that has almost no suspense or twists whatsoever. The setup is run of the mill; a prestigious family wants to find the greatest martial artist in the land, and one of the sons goes looking for a famed warrior to represent his side of the family, only to get his diamond in the rough son instead. What follows is fight after fight after fight running on razor thin substance and with hardly an ounce of suspense, and it's practically formulaic; Gama starts fighting a person with a style that is somewhat unorthodox and troublesome for him, at first having the upper hand, then getting slaughtered, only to pull a secret technique out of his ass and turn things around completely. The art is like a weaker version of Tite Kubo's style, and the characters hardly have an ounce of depth to them. Gama from what I recall is basically a Hitsugaya clone but more milder and apathetic, and the others weren't too noteworthy from what I recall. All this, and it has an 8.06 score and is in top 300 for manga popularity. It's not the most painful and detestable thing ever, but it is cliched and uninspired to a tee yet it has a fairly high score which is baffling.
Jun 8, 2013 3:06 PM
Jul 2018
http://myanimelist.net/manga/12200/High_School_Musical

Anyway else want to add this to the manga relations?
Maybe for fun?
Jun 8, 2013 3:10 PM

Jun 2011
Neane1993 said:

Anybody else want to add this to the manga Enlightenmnet?

I could go for that.
Jun 10, 2013 8:15 AM

Dec 2012
Neane1993 said:

Anyway else want to add this to the manga relations?
Maybe for fun?

This is........................a thing?
Jun 10, 2013 8:34 AM

Apr 2012
ForgoneReality said:
Neane1993 said:

I could go for that.

Highschool Musical is a masterpiece of a manga, how dare you be sarcastic towards it? No manga deserves to be on the enlightenment list more than this masterpiece.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jun 10, 2013 9:12 AM

Dec 2012
3nvy said:
Also, akumetsu's inclusion was supported by three people with none opposed that I saw.
Still on this.
Jun 10, 2013 3:19 PM

Nov 2011
sushi55 said:
ForgoneReality said:
Neane1993 said:

I could go for that.

Highschool Musical is a masterpiece of a manga, how dare you be sarcastic towards it? No manga deserves to be on the enlightenment list more than this masterpiece.

4thed.
Jun 11, 2013 9:48 AM

Apr 2013
Amberleh said:
sushi55 said:
ForgoneReality said:
Neane1993 said:

I could go for that.

4thed.
5thed. let's pull the suggestion on enlightment tread guys
Jun 11, 2013 11:08 AM

Nov 2011
doraemon1992 said:
Amberleh said:
sushi55 said:
ForgoneReality said:
Neane1993 said:

I could go for that.

4thed.

Nah dude, 5 unanimous. It is done.
Jun 11, 2013 11:09 AM

Jun 2011
Amberleh said:
doraemon1992 said:
Amberleh said:
sushi55 said:
ForgoneReality said:
Neane1993 said:
http://myanimelist.net/manga/12200/High_School_MusicalAnybody else want to add this to the manga Enlightenmnet?
I could go for that.
4thed.
Nah dude, 5 unanimous. It is done.

That's Awesome.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.