Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 23, 2011 11:41 PM

Jun 2010
meh, this episode is so-so for me.

still not getting used to the ost.
Oct 24, 2011 3:42 AM

Feb 2011
And here goes the censor (or cut, or whatever you wanna call that).

They totally messed up Nicole's (Laptop-Guy, dunno his english name) breakdown.
In the manga it had a strong psychological touch to it. Here it, once again, became a stupid comical scene. Meh.

I like Hisoka's new Seiyuu though.
Oct 24, 2011 7:25 AM

Jul 2009
I have to say the chubby boy with the laptop did well (is it Nicolas?); I couldn't rund for 2 - 4 hours.
Plus it's a tunnel, I'm not sure if 2 hours is evn possible?

Killua and Gon are very cute; it's a change to see child characters actually act their age whilst in adult roles.

Oct 24, 2011 8:49 AM

Oct 2010
AngelicFeces said:
Time flies when watching this.

Sure does! Wish they could combine the VA's of the old HxH with this Hisoka's voice seems terribly off but we'll see that in the near future :)
Oct 24, 2011 9:01 AM

Nov 2009
I don't know why but I am really getting in to this show *-*
And I hate the ost but the ending is perfect <3
Oct 24, 2011 12:22 PM

Apr 2010
i hated the way kurapica revealed his family story it was totally clear and it was out of ambiguity also the ost lose the ambiguity and darkness of the events but other than that it was good episode
Oct 24, 2011 5:28 PM
Oct 2011
First time watching anithing HxH. I didnt like the first episode much, but the series is getting great episode by episode!
Oct 24, 2011 6:11 PM

Sep 2008
lack of blood is probably going to kill this series for me. Wonder what they will do when arms are supposed to be ripped off and hearts pulled out of living people's chests for example. Flower pedals?

example image from the manga: http://www.thatanimeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/hunter-x-hunter-3236821-624x1024.jpg

did enjoy the ep though but this is probably going to be a trainwreck sooner than later
MephzOct 24, 2011 6:15 PM
Oct 24, 2011 6:24 PM
Jun 2008
Mephz said:
lack of blood is probably going to kill this series for me. Wonder what they will do when arms are supposed to be ripped off and hearts pulled out of living people's chests for example. Flower pedals?

I honestly think that the flower petals wasn't a censorship issue, but an early demonstration of Nen ability. I say this because there was no blood in the same scene in the Manga. So, I say hold off on saying there will be a lack of blood until it does get futher into the series.
Oct 24, 2011 6:27 PM

Jan 2011
Hisoka's theme is so...misplaced lol? Anyways, I really enjoyed this and Killua was really cute. His voice actor did a great job! Can't wait till the next episode to see Hisoka's voice actor strut his stuff to see if he can do it or not.
Oct 24, 2011 8:20 PM
Oct 2011
Mephz said:
did enjoy the ep though but this is probably going to be a trainwreck sooner than later

this part of the series is the weakest of the original anime but the whining are already endless. when we get to the parts where the first anime did really well (3rd exam), i'm sure i'll never hear the end of the rage.

but that's how it is, there will always be white knights and haters.

me, i love the original series and neither the manga nor this 2011 version are likely to surpass it (and i've known this the moment the remake was announced). nevertheless, i'm welcoming this remake with open arms because hxh is finally getting the attention it deserves and it's another thing to look forward to during hiatuses.
chikkychappyOct 25, 2011 1:49 AM
Oct 25, 2011 2:27 AM

Dec 2009
Still prefer Hisoka's previous seiyuu. Takahashi Hiroki did a really good job in my opinion (I swear he has an awesome range). Namikawa Daisuke's version of Hisoka has a voice too deep for my preferences, but maybe i'll get used to it after a few episodes.

I still like the high-pitched, pervert-like voice though.

Enjoy listening to the GazettE? Join the club here!
Previously wingscanfly and Hizuki
Oct 25, 2011 2:54 AM

Feb 2011
Mephz said:

I honestly think that the flower petals wasn't a censorship issue, but an early demonstration of Nen ability. I say this because there was no blood in the same scene in the Manga. So, I say hold off on saying there will be a lack of blood until it does get futher into the series.

About the flower petals, I think so too.
But the problem doesn't lie in the blood part, but in playing the violence of the original down.
In the original Hisoka threw 3 cards in that "ape-mans" face. Here it's only one (and two to the bottom) and you don't even get to see it.
Same goes for the ape that was running. In the original Hisoka didn't let it run away. He killed it while it tried to.

Stuff like that leads me to assume, that they'll just not show the "heavy" scenes and/or replace them with scenes that are more suitable to shounen-kids.
And that'd be just wrong.

@chikkychappy
"White Knights and haters"
So life is black and white to you, eh? That's so not shallow minded.
Oct 25, 2011 3:26 AM
Oct 2011
Kuchenlight said:

@chikkychappy
"White Knights and haters"
So life is black and white to you, eh? That's so not shallow minded.

how about not taking everything literally?
chikkychappyOct 25, 2011 3:54 AM
Oct 25, 2011 4:50 AM

Sep 2008
Yemi_Hikari said:

Well, Hisoka has two Nen abilities neither of those can create anything of the sort. If I recall correctly the author did explain away that scene way back then by saying Hisoka cut off his hands with the cards. Way too long ago to find the source material for this statement though
MephzOct 25, 2011 4:54 AM
Oct 25, 2011 7:13 AM

Apr 2009
Compared to original's 7th ep this one looks better. Not a fan of psychological torture, so loved that Leorio's motivation to become hunter was revealed in much shorter way. Killua also looks a bit friendlier here.
Oct 25, 2011 7:53 AM

Nov 2007
36 fell off?

Anyway good episode, they skipped the whole drugging thing or whatever happened to leorio in the original. Background info wasn't as interresting because I saw the original twice...
Oct 25, 2011 10:29 AM

Jul 2011
While I still have to get fond of the 2011 remake, I did like the way they revealed Leorio´s past (and the "I´m a teen just like you!!" speech took me for surprise :o, but looks like he really is 19 as I suspected XD).
Anyway, I´m giving this series more chances to improve itself, considerating is going to have way too many episodes to change my impressions about it
Oct 25, 2011 2:22 PM
Jun 2008
Mephz said:
Yemi_Hikari said:

Well, Hisoka has two Nen abilities neither of those can create anything of the sort. If I recall correctly the author did explain away that scene way back then by saying Hisoka cut off his hands with the cards. Way too long ago to find the source material for this statement though

I don't think that the butterfly thing fits him either. I still don't see it as a censorship issue, more of them being in a hurry to introduce Nen abilities to the viewership. It doesn't fit completly with what is found out later on either.

However, because they did introduce it early, it makes it a little easier to talk about Nen. Aka, instead of saying "well, the ability will be explained later" to someone who finds something confusing, and instead say, "well, that is part of his Nen ability", but it isn't really a big positive.

Anyways, as for the card thing mentioned, thank you for pointing that out Kuchenlight. I'm going to go back and double check the scene in the original adaptation and this, and compare it to the Manga to see if it is a censorship thing, or if it was done as another thing to make the new adaptation not look like the original adaptation.
Oct 25, 2011 2:47 PM

Oct 2007
Time will tell with the censorship and whatnot. So far, it feels like I'm watching the old series again - more thanks for them slowing the pacing down and getting into the characters finally. I really enjoyed that they finally included that Mito is Gon's aunt. I also liked that we got Leorio's story without the influence of the hallucinogenic tree - shows that he's opening more to the group.

That said, the voices still don't do much for me. Killua's was better this week; Hisoka's was disappointing. BGM still leaves something to be desired and I've taken to skipping the OP/ED.

Can't wait for Menchi, Buhara and Netero (though the latter probably won't come up until episode 6.
Oct 26, 2011 9:02 AM

May 2008
ended so quickly

Gon and Killua became friends so quickly lol

Leorio run!!! and i guess Kurapika finds it easy to run as well lol
Oct 26, 2011 12:07 PM

Sep 2010
I don't think that the butterfly thing fits him either. I still don't see it as a censorship issue, more of them being in a hurry to introduce Nen abilities to the viewership. It doesn't fit completly with what is found out later on either.

Hisoka killing/maiming people with cards is already an introduction to Nen abilities. Adding unnecessary foreshadowing is still tampering with the source and thus creates anime only content(filler). Creating filler and not sticking to the source seems counter-intuitive to a version claiming to be the definitive telling. As I said in the previous HxH thread you're are just going to make excuses for the 2011's deviations and hypocritically chastise the original anime version for deviating from the manga.

Oct 27, 2011 3:07 AM

May 2008
Amazing...

Leorio feels tired and stop
Gon stop as well, just look at him and don't say a word.
Leorio looks back, recovers and start to run.
Oct 27, 2011 4:14 AM
Oct 2011
Can't wait how this 'swindling' thing goes in the exam :D Sounds really exciting, Kurapika will surely be a big help in this.
Oct 28, 2011 2:25 PM

Jul 2010
It was much better than previous ep :D. Killua on skateboard lol.He and Gon became friends after 2min conversation xD.I still cant believe how they ruined Hisoka...his voice in old HxH was like 50% of his epicness :c

4/5.
Oct 28, 2011 6:53 PM

Nov 2007
eucalyptustree16 said:

I think Hisoka´s voice is pretty awesome, it´s Kurapika´s I´ve issues with. He sounds really feminine.

This. I'm pretty much ok with everyone voices besides Kurapika...It's really distracting me ;_; He sounds so feminine. I like Sawashiro Miyuki voice, she's actually one of my favorite female seiyuus... but i just don't think she fits Kurapika. When he speaks all i can think of is Celty, Saeko, Kuuko ...pretty much all of those awesome female characters she voiced. In the original he was also voiced by a female seiyuu: Kaida Yuki, bu she just didn't sound so...feminine imo, but more like a young boy. Ah I really hope that after a while i will get used to his voice...

Oct 29, 2011 1:24 AM
May 2007
Kurapika's voice is distracting me also. I add my voice to everyone who doesn't like his new cast. Kaida Yuki is a talented female seiyuu when it comes to voicing young boys like Kurapika. Just like with Paku Romi and Saiga Mitsuki. I don't know what went wrong when choosing the new casts, there are even great male seiyuus to voice boys like Kurapika they could have chosen someone else than Sawashiro Miyuki. I fear my ears will hurt when hearing Menchi's voice later. I just don't like Hirano Aya's voice at all.
Oct 29, 2011 9:34 PM

Mar 2009
I'm going to take a guess and say the split path in the tunnel wasn't originally in the manga; thus, they skipped it. No point in having it, anyway, since we already know about Tonpa.

Good episode, good pacing. Music could still use some work, though.
Nov 5, 2011 11:55 AM

Aug 2010
Very good episode. Shit is going to get real in the swamp.
Nov 7, 2011 10:57 AM

Sep 2010
Mormegil said:
I'm going to take a guess and say the split path in the tunnel wasn't originally in the manga; thus, they skipped it. No point in having it, anyway, since we already know about Tonpa.

Good episode, good pacing. Music could still use some work, though.

Well we knew about Tonpa the moment he talked with Nicholas. Every underhanded act he does after that point would be unnecessary if us knowing he is a rookie-crusher mattered.

Nov 15, 2011 6:57 PM

Feb 2011
I'm really enjoying this, I was a bit worried after episode 1 but I think I'm going to like it.
眠れないのは君のせい
Nov 17, 2011 1:12 PM

Aug 2010
That definitely looked like more than 36 people.
Jan 18, 2012 6:32 PM

Jul 2010
AngelicFeces said:
Time flies when watching this.

yep

CookieBun said:
Mmm, there is one specific thing they seem to be doing that bothers me.
That is, I don't like what they are doing to Leorio.

I haven't read the manga so I don't know what he's like there, but in the old series he was a grounded character with an impulsive, slightly childish nature that hides a complex, rather tortured mind. He comes off as way buffoonish here, and it bothers me. I don't want to find Leorio in this show annoying, but I am starting to.

Gon, Killua, and Kurapika are shown in a good light, and I do like the happier mood, but they have gone the wrong way with Leorio. It bothers me very much that the most human character out of the 4 gets the short end of the stick.

I was looking forward to Leorio especially, due to Fujiwara-san voicing him, but he can't even show off his charismatic acting because they don't give him any chances to do so. You guys are wasting his talent!

becuz they made him out to be the butt-monkey of this series, ya the old one made him much more mature, since that one was half shounen/half seinen. but since this is pure shounen, he's a buttmonkey and he will stay that way for the rest of the series, sadly

Jan 30, 2012 9:17 PM

Oct 2011
i actualy liked this beter then the 1999 version,exept they didnt show tonpa being evil!
Mar 27, 2012 7:18 AM

Jul 2009
Now this is where HxH really starts to pick up. I'm still not quite used to Hisoka's new seiyuu but the little maniacal laugh he did gave me some hope...his background music is still stupid though.
Jun 3, 2012 11:20 AM

Jan 2011
Pacing was good. Kurapika and Leorio back stories were short and sweet. Gon and Killua are instant best friends. Good episode.
Jun 5, 2012 10:34 PM

Mar 2007
Only thing I didn't like was Gon and Killua becoming instant best friends but no big deal so 5 out of 5 still.
Feb 22, 2013 3:32 PM

Jan 2012
trying not to mindlessly fangirl so here are my fav moments:

- funniest: that still-shot of shock when everybody finds out leorio is a teenager. which LOL what.
- funny: shirtless leorio running
- funny: leorio and ninjadude's "lol oops" faces after getting deceived.
- character development: i thought leorio was annoying for the first two episodes, ive warmed up to him hearing his backstory. plus he has funny moments.
- character development: i love kilau's (?) nonchalant attitude and him and gon's casual race through the cave. gon really reminds me of luffy which i will never complain about.
- wtf: with the clan and eyes stuff, is sasuke a kurapika clone?
- awesome: jokerface's card move. i love how gutsy he is and his examiner-killing tendencies. plus he seriously looks cool, in a series where most of the character designs are derpy.
Jul 13, 2013 5:34 PM

Feb 2011
Only thinking about how much they ran exhausts me
Jul 15, 2013 3:37 AM
Jun 2013
They ran a bit farther, well much farther than any human could possibly run, but other than that pretty cool episode. This series is looking really good.
Jul 17, 2013 9:54 PM
Jul 2012
Great episode yet again!
This shows have pretty much more twists than One Outs.
damn that marathon is so long to run with! Shit, 4 hours of running I will been done to run all hours to pass the exam. Forest Gump or sonic can beat all of those men. Man, I have to congrats to them running all this way holy shit. 0_o

kirAth-shiAue said:
Only thing I didn't like was Gon and Killua becoming instant best friends but no big deal so 5 out of 5 still.

This too be honest, but they seem to be way common to each other but whatever.
5/5
Nov 28, 2013 11:34 PM

Jul 2013
cantius said:
Wait, if Gon's dad started the exam at 12 yrs old...
Wtf.
Ugh, why does this keep happening? XD

He didn't leave the island and have Gon like RIGHT AWAY after the exam. Gee willikers.
Dec 30, 2013 11:56 PM

Jul 2013
I laughed really hard when I saw that nerd fatass' exhausted face.. hahaha

That Tonpa is an annoying POS... he wants every rookie to be a failure like him.

Leorio is a teenager too?? damn I love the comedy

and here I am thinking Gon had he lamest reason for wanting to become a hunter.. just look at Killua.

soo umm they entered an old looking restaurant, entered a room that is actually an elevator which transported them 100 floors up, from there they ran for about 80kms? and now they're in a enormous foresty swamp?? damn.

cool episode!
Dec 31, 2013 12:01 AM

Oct 2008
PrimeX said:
I laughed really hard when I saw that nerd fatass' exhausted face.. hahaha

That Tonpa is an annoying POS... he wants every rookie to be a failure like him.

Leorio is a teenager too?? damn I love the comedy

and here I am thinking Gon had he lamest reason for wanting to become a hunter.. just look at Killua.

soo umm they entered an old looking restaurant, entered a room that is actually an elevator which transported them 100 floors up, from there they ran for about 80kms? and now they're in a enormous foresty swamp?? damn.

cool episode!
If this is your first time watching (and not having read it), then you're in for a ride. The beginning starts off as a normal-ish shonen fare, but once it gets later into the exam arc, it really begins to distinguish itself as something great. From the beginning of Yorkshin on, you'll definitely be hooked. Glad to see you're enjoying it.
Feb 14, 2014 9:07 AM

Jun 2009
Looking back, I do feel as though Hisoka's flower thing was a demonstration of Nen. If it was because they didn't want to show violence, they sure did get past that hang up by the time the Tower arc starts.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 13, 2014 1:55 AM

Dec 2012
This episode made me like Lerio, a little bit. His back story was great.

Hanzo and Lerio doubting the examiner and their expression after finding the truth were hilarious LOL.
Mar 15, 2014 11:27 AM

Jul 2013
Ok, so what bothers me now the most is how childish they made Gon and (especially) Killua... I have his image in the older version in my mind and he just shouldn't be that friendly and sweet (?) from the start... ;/ I'm guessing what they're doing was originally in the manga which I haven't read.. but if I'm right, then the first anime did a great job surpassing manga in my opinion xD I'm starting to think I should watch this one first to not be so disappointed but can't go back in time I guess :p Well, I'll see how they manage the end of the hunter exam. I'm yet to decide about Hisoka's seiyuu too xp I just have a feeling that everything was better in the '99 version despite it having so old animation xD I feel it'd be better if they simply picked up from where the other version left off. But as it is now, it's more HxH to watch so maybe I shouldn't complain ;)
YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT
SEE YOU, SPACE COWBOY...
May 2, 2014 3:30 AM

Jul 2007
How cute, looks like Gon and Killua already hit it off lol

i just love the voice actor for leoro in this new series. I don't remember him being that comedic before. His voice can instantly sound serous or humerus, it really fits him alot more so then the actor that played him on the first series.

fishergirl16 said:

:) AMAZING. I felt so bad for Leorio when he was really tired! xD Kurapika's outfit wasn't that embarrassing..

Next episode looks awesome. And I really thought that guy was the real examiner. FAIL.

Yeah "Deception" is pretty much the name of the game, one of the most concurrent outlying theme's through the whole series and reason why this show stands above so many other shonen's out there. It becomes so unpredictable in this fashion. You never really know what can transpire in any given scenario, that is why observing your surroundings and atmosphere is a must in order to stay alive. Watching Gon go through these enormous changes is just awesome.
ArtimesGamerMay 2, 2014 3:33 AM

Jun 14, 2014 5:24 PM

Nov 2011
Yeah. Watched another episode.

At first I thought the marathon seemed too easy, but the longer they went, the worse it seemed. Is it bad that I found the addition of stairs to be humorous? :x

So the card dude's name is "Hisoka". Given the preview, he's definitely important. I wasn't fooled by the imposter, but his way of handling it left no room for doubt.

I wasn't sure if I'd like Killua, but he seems cool enough. I liked the expansion on Kurapika and Leorio as well... I mean, who could've guessed that Leorio was a teenager? ;p

Anyway, the show's doing a good job at increasing the tension as the exam moves along. Another good episode this was.
Jun 24, 2014 11:01 PM

Jan 2013
Man only 36 dropped out. Seemed like a lot more.
There was that kid with a laptop. Didn't realize this took place in modern times.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 111 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2014

517 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 4:15 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2013

170 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 109 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2013

175 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 2:56 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AngelicFeces - Mar 10, 2012

97 by _Abdullah_ »»
Jun 5, 1:25 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 108 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2013

292 by Nerdason »»
Jun 5, 4:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.