Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Date A Live (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 9, 4:41 AM
Dec 2022
this is peak of my expectation before s5
May 9, 4:54 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to KatoWorks
This is peak fiction
@KatoWorks not just peak fiction, dal vol 18-19 r widely deemed as the greatest written lns in history. Not even premium television can provide a finale this satisfying. I literally came back from seed freedom which although amazing movie, dal v was on my mind.
May 9, 4:58 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to Ohmena
Embient said:
So all the spirits are just tools made by Mio to gradually give Shido spirit powers so he can remember her? Damn. But now I'm wondering how he ended up as Kotori's sister. Also Kotori was Homura Haruko in the past? *goes to the wiki to read about that* *gets a ton of spoilers* Okay yeah, that was dumb af of me, don't do that.

Wouldn't be "a lot of spoilers" if the season 3 director didn't cut vol 11.5 and 99% of Itsuka Disaster btw. I still wonder how the j.c staff people thought that adapt a whole volume in just 20 minutes + delete a whole sidestory would be a good idea

Just consider what you read as an extra info, cuz it will probably never be shown in the anime xd
@Ohmena they did this because the producers didn't want to continue after season 3. Since lns would end the following year. So a lot of stuff alluding to anything in season 4 and season 5 got completely cut. No nia honjou, no mio takamiya mention, mana was omitted. Granted plot points were still intact.
I do think rushing it helped pacing issues for iv and v. But I imagined it tanked sales and reception.
May 9, 6:07 AM

Feb 2011
wow, what an absolute twist of an episode, that ending surprised me.

Not too interested in the shido/westcott battle at all. I wanna see more of dommy mommy spirit

May 9, 7:37 AM
Dec 2018
Minha favorita sempre foi a kurumi, mas do episodio 3 para cá a mio se tornou!!
Realmente foi impactante a "morte" da Kurumi, mas prefiro a felicidade da Mio, faz sentido ela fazer isso, pois foi uma criação dela, não era nem para elas terem existido!
May 9, 8:32 AM
Sep 2021
Reply to benjic665
@nhc9

Yes, there should have been mayuri, it's the only flaw in the episode, because the quality of the animation and cgi was really excellent.
@benjic665 Isn't Mayuri non canon? What do you mean?
May 9, 8:36 AM
Sep 2021
In season1 episode1, Shido hears a voice, one saying they finally meet again.. and then wakes up to see Reine.

Author planned this from the first book
May 9, 8:52 AM

Jun 2016
no way they kill our precious and the mascott anime kurumi !!!

without kurumi i wont watch this garbago
May 9, 9:03 AM

Nov 2019
Marmotzel said:
@benjic665 Isn't Mayuri non canon? What do you mean?

The girl that prays in the middle of Ain Soph Aur looks like her.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
May 9, 11:27 AM
May 2018
Reply to Scootboi
wow, what an absolute twist of an episode, that ending surprised me.

Not too interested in the shido/westcott battle at all. I wanna see more of dommy mommy spirit
@Scootboi the shido/westcott battle is about to be peak and better than anything that ''dommy mommy bitch'' could show us
May 9, 11:28 AM
May 2018
Reply to NirvashX1

@NirvashX1 good, we don't need fake ass date a live watchers here anyways
May 9, 12:11 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to ShidoItsuka74739
@NirvashX1 good, we don't need fake ass date a live watchers here anyways
@ShidoItsuka74739 we actually need all the viewers we can get. Age is the biggest impact of a show when it comes to viewership retention
May 9, 4:19 PM
Oct 2023
Reply to StallionXD
This is going crazy now! And that last shoot was sick.

Still, all of this is also really weird, like, I understood the idea of Mio "giving birth" to Shido and all, but she LITERALLY gave birth to him, like, she is his real mother now, and yet she still is in love with him and stuff, maybe I'm not understanding something but that's just weird.

I gotta say tho, the scene with Shido's schoolmates was unnecessary and cringe as fuck.

Oh, and this episode reminded me off all of the Ratatoskr crew, when they all had personalities in S1, they all were so fkng fun, but suddenly they never spoke again, the blonde dude was crazy fun, his joke was being pedo af for Kotori, but out of nowhere he became so serious, I think of them when I see the phrase "wasted character potential" lol, also the ship getting that AI "Maria" was such a cringe and unnecessary mistake, her job could have been done by any member of the crew lol I know she is an actual character and all but that's all from a spin off game and novel volume so who cares.

Oh, and I didn't like how Shido literally had no reaction to seeing the real Kurumi fucking die, he was in front of her death body in the floor and didn't said shit, and all of that was before getting his memories returned, it felt unnatural for him.
@StallionXD

In fact, he is in shock, paralyzed with fear like in the ln, and it takes him a while to put his head in order, and the memories of Shin hurt his head when he receives them.

the anime perfectly transcribed the scene, perhaps they were a little hasty, but it's for the sake of rhythm.

and otherwise the humorous scene with his classmates is perfectly in place, it allows you to breathe a little, like in the novel, 95% of people loved it.

You are really talking nonsense about Maria, she is essential and cannot be replaced by a human and you will see it at the end of the season. We've seen enough of the crew in previous seasons, now we're in the serious final arc.

Regarding Mio, she's not a human, there's nothing weird about it, she just recreated a perfect body to make Shin an immortal being
May 9, 6:58 PM

Aug 2023
After I reviewed this anime during episode 4, then this happened..

the VFX/CGI still caused confusing, hardly to see the details.

Anyway, this is the peak.. Mio is too OP since she's the original.

こんにちは!私の名前はマルハザクです! こんにちは!私の名前はマルハザクです!
May 9, 7:27 PM
Mar 2017
Reply to benjic665
@Suntanned_Duck2

reine fatigue is explained later in the season (around episode 9).

and no, the depth of the story is not absurd, all your questions will be answered in the next episodes, for Mio, shido or westcott etc. everything has a moral meaning, which is also linked to religious mysticism, the names of Mio's powers, the names of the angels etc. NOTHING is done at random, you just have to think hard to find out what the author wanted to show.
@benjic665 Ok fair enough.

Either way I'll wait patiently. Just a bunch of random conclusions I came to and in some cases it's better than other possibilities I outlined.
May 9, 7:30 PM
Mar 2017
Reply to Laplace_kun
Suntanned_Duck2 said:
At first catching up from 3-5 I was like huh those is cool Mio details, the Shin part/Mana part.

I assume Kurumi and more will come back not just be sacrificed. They wouldn't just kill a favourite character off or if they do not without good reason which I mean her appearing sure was good.

Some parts I was like yeah makes sense others I was like ok then.

Reina just being consumed makes sense but they just don't address the why she is so tired. I know S1 sure but they didn't expand it to be oh she was the other side of Mio so she is exhausted due to something else but I guess she just is what she is the can't keep up with the real world. Rather than say the 2 halves of Yamai with two different personalities. She is but just the more weak one? Or the modern life lived one then the spirit one. Huh.

Maybe the light novel and xplains that or maybe it doesn't as no need it isn't a worthy detail. Who knows.

Shido kissing Marina I mean Nibelcole (episode 4) sure. It has it's funny moments still inbetween some good touching ones but not just because the adaptation is trying very hard to include what it can besides a battle (not read these parts of the light novel before so new to me), besides side details that are relevant and all this stuff from each character to Kurumi. So much back and forth.

The CGI in battles hasn't bothered me but I've noticed it.

A lot of whiplash is happening for so many characters details.

A fair amount of answers but more questions to pile on.

RIP the state of spirits right now.

I assume Mio wants all the crystals back? Did they split them/birth the spirits intentionally and went nah I want them back or is it because they were taken and used by the 3 of Elliot, Westcott, Ellen. But maybe to expand on those they lose in their backstory ? I have no idea again I haven't read the light novel only speculating.

This series is easy enough to guess things for sometimes. Until Milo and then a lot of what further we don't know moments.

Compared to the oh Origami arc when author is ready kind of pacing.

I assume yes but then again they have their backstory to come.

Special crystals and yet Mio wants to go and make herself more powerful? Or give it to Shido or something like just take them back and recent the 3 of them in their backstory have to bring their village back or recreate that with the spirits?

As the spirits are her un-intended daughters because of them and experiments.

But I mean. Some deeper more then modern day stuff. Like Why? This is just like S2 with the start of Westcott for me going 'I had deeper plans' the author tells the reader but on a scale of 'there are other worlds' (in other series to expand the universe and draw people in and it's like no you didn't stop lying you just want this nonsense of scale that wasn't there alongside it in a way the original intentions maybe of Mio moments but this crystal and the 3 of them backstory.

Like come on what a load of overcomplicating to impress. It's just silly. Drags out the story, pushes a lot of ideas to drag it out, mess with things and push a nice 20+ novels or exhausted all ideas or mixes with others besides the encores or the 'fun' side tracking like the fairy tale world which they did more in aide stories as well)

Like.... in we have the regular/spirit sure but some fantasy past and the 3 of them HAPPENED to get to the present to blend in nonsense.

The author is just throwing anything at the wall.

I'm still enjoying it but it's still a load of nonsense.

The Mio stuff and the 3Ellen/Elliott of them seeing different sides is fine but the backstory to come I mean. Seriously this series is just trying so hard to have too much depth and it's a bit excessive.

It keeps getting bloated. We just needed some crystal to be mined, used for an experiment or something else and they used it for experiments to make spirits and the rest makes sense but a fantasy past. XD I get it it works it's just a bit too much.

I mean if Shido lost his confidence to date sure he already struggled before but from that and the Elliot let's her go of Ep4 to this. Even.

I wondered if he got his spirit powers from her or Tohka but the whole thing in Episode 4 sure makes sense and from a spirit of origin makes sense. It's weird the other details but sure. We don't or do have the Kotori's family details (other than just we know they don't need to show us) of how they took him in too?

Also Takamoya and Itsuka parents busy hmm.

The Mio moments make sense this fantasy element to the other 3 is a joke.

It makes sense kind of to further expand then just oh and experiment because well how else do they have the crystals then just mining some per chance level story telling but this expansion is kind of silly for scale to expand on.

That was a lot of assumptions made to criticize something you don't even know about.
@Laplace_kun True but I am just speculating conclusions. I'm ok with them being wrong. I know some would be way far off and others would be kind of less interesting too so they maybe have presented some good ideas.

I mean I had moments in S2 going hmm ok this worked better than I thought.

I assume the same will happen again.

I'm still going to watch it. It hasn't made me quit watching. I enjoy this series a lot.

I have all the light novels. I can easily find out if I need to. I just stopped reading in the S4/Volume 16 period that's all.
May 9, 10:08 PM
Jan 2017
Just when I thought Date A Live couldn't get any darker or grittier, this happens.

Everything that was set up all the way back since season 1 starts coming together in this episode. Mio begins the final phase of her plan, and Shido's merry band of friends are forced into conflict with her. Shido himself tries to help but Westcott already has plans for him.

Date A Live is the gift that keeps on giving.
May 9, 10:19 PM

Nov 2019
Suntanned_Duck2 said:
@Laplace_kun True but I am just speculating conclusions. I'm ok with them being wrong. I know some would be way far off and others would be kind of less interesting too so they maybe have presented some good ideas.

I mean I had moments in S2 going hmm ok this worked better than I thought.

I assume the same will happen again.

I'm still going to watch it. It hasn't made me quit watching. I enjoy this series a lot.

I have all the light novels. I can easily find out if I need to. I just stopped reading in the S4/Volume 16 period that's all.

The only thing I feel like saying now is Westcott and the other two are the reason why DAL exists as a story. Not going through their background reeks of bad storytelling. Wish you all the best in your anime/novel journey
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
May 9, 11:37 PM
Jan 2020
Damn, Shido and Westcott's hair had more frames combined than the last 3 seasons lmao
May 10, 12:03 AM

Oct 2022
If Kurumi doesn't suddenly appear to be fine in a later ep I will literally riot. Kaguya aswell but wow this ep was just dark.

May 10, 12:04 AM
Nov 2023
mio takamiya 2nd best waifu
May 10, 3:58 AM
Apr 2013
EP 5

So yeah. last episode we had quite a bombshell, and now uhm.
One thing i was thinking of, we talk about the girls but. what about shido and mana? hmm. or rather, takamiya

Looks like next ep we're finally going to get the flashback for dem, then dunno shido vs westcott and then 6 eps with whatever daheck is going on with mio
So yeah in this one ep both kurumi and kaguya got taken out. yuzuru not sure.

A crazy ep for sure in a different way. hmmm.
Honestly i feel a bit bad for mio of course but i feel bad for shido and the girls as well. like it would be pretty uhh if kurumi and/or kaguya is just gone like that.

As an aside. Honestly I was thinking. Kurumi did use her powers back in s3 and its still such a headache as to the implications. Did mio just foresee all along or? I dunno man
CocoaGalaxyMay 10, 4:16 AM
May 10, 7:47 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to NirvashX1

@NirvashX1 I mean , you see the op, it spoils everything.
Pretty much Shido gonna use Kurumi power to go back in time or something. (Like , it's not even a speculation, you see the OP...)
So whoever dies , I have zero concern, cuz we know Shido would fix everything.
May 10, 8:49 AM

Oct 2007
Tohka arrive just in time. Mio was about to erase "Shidou" memories, and leave only "Shin". That way, Shin won't feel bad if Mio kills all the other girls. She has a twisted way of solving things.

incredible strength being shown by Mio. She just stood there while being attacked with a sword, and block giant arrow with one hand. How are Tohka and the other girls gonna beat this thing?!

it seems Mio still show some respect for Kotori. At least for now, only The DEM ships are crashing.

Shidou rushing back to help, but first he has to defeat madman Ike.

looking forward to next week! :)
May 10, 1:33 PM

Jan 2008
The order they appear in the opening is the order they're gonna die in, isn't it?
Well..... shit....
May 11, 8:49 AM

Jul 2017
Kurumi becomes Mio's first casualty, and quite honestly, this is a very pivotal moment, because at the same time, Reine too is a fragment of Mio being Phantom, and together, they are the Spriit of Origin, which Shido is forced to recollect his memories being Shinji Takamiya, and moving as a pawn within her measurements to be teleported to the shelter, which he teleports back himself back to where he is.

But Mio a.k.a Deus being the Spirit of Origin, she falls within Westcott's expectations, and not to mention her Spirit daughters, the situation between all Spirits is quite dire. Even Ellenand Elliot sense this incredible power, as much as their history goes of resent, retribution and betrayal. And as much as Tohka and the Yamai sisters warrant Deus being their unintended foe, Kaguya became the 2nd Spirit to fall under Deus's hands.

Another round of a battle between Shido/Shinji and Westcott, the fights are only going to get tougher.
May 12, 5:55 AM
Mar 2024
Another full sweep on polls. Ranked number one on sugoi, trending, corner.
May 13, 1:34 PM

Dec 2017
How did this get Season 5 while way better anime are still stuck in Season 1?
May 13, 10:43 PM
Jul 2021
Reply to anizawa89
How did this get Season 5 while way better anime are still stuck in Season 1?
@anizawa89 Probably because it's very popular??I mean the show got number 1 on all polls for two weeks now.The show also got better every season so people really like it.
May 14, 9:14 AM

Apr 2015
This was a fantastic episode! It explained the plot perfectly, So Mio orchestrated it all from the beginning. She created the girls so share her power into pieces so that Shido can gain that power gradually by dating them all and now she is back to take her power from all of them. Kurumi and Kaguya are down, Damn.
Good stuff, I hope they manage to keep this momentum up for the rest of the season.
May 15, 8:56 AM
May 2023
Very good
I have watch it for 2 times
May 15, 11:22 AM

May 2020
They really did go and explained Mio is a mother to them all.. even Shido lol. Though by the looks of it, she doesn't care a bit about others except Shido. So sorry for Kaguya and Kurumi.

I'd want to believe they'll come back later because of course she's the spirit of origin. Bringing back someone from dead should be as easy for her as killing someone. Either way, the episode was wild, and I'm sure this ain't the last of it.
May 19, 6:26 AM

May 2021
Welp, and just like that, best girl is dead, lying there ignored. If Shido has Kurumi's powers, I hope he uses them.

Brutal episode though, ngl.

May 21, 4:32 AM
Feb 2022
Mio sacrificing Kurumi definitely pains Shidou to see. From Mio's perspective, she took this episode really far getting everyone involved. I do think it captured the tense moments were captured well. Mio is brutal...she just attacks with a plain look on her face. Kaguya deserved better this episode.
May 23, 6:17 AM
May 2019
DAMN! (and that's all I can say after that)

RIP Brittney Karbowski and Alexis Tipton
May 23, 6:19 AM
May 2019
Reply to Berch0
Okay… is there anyone at Crunchyroll checking these very obviously AI translated subtitles? Because if there is they are doing an absolute shit job… there’s no way that mistranslation of Mikie’s name should have gotten past you.
@Berch0 That's why you watch this dubbed. It's the only proper way to watch it with its legendary cast over the past 11 years.
May 25, 10:45 AM
Feb 2024
Oh damn these eps make me very happy with myself that I don't drop this back in season 3. It's getting so much better
May 25, 6:30 PM
Jul 2022
Reply to Yui_Suzumiya69
@Berch0 That's why you watch this dubbed. It's the only proper way to watch it with its legendary cast over the past 11 years.
@Yui_Suzumiya69 I always watch Date A Live in both languages. And the subtitles are normally fine for the most part, but recently Crunchyroll has been using AI to translate anime so they can fire their actual translators because they’ve been getting the company in so much hot water.
Berch0May 25, 6:33 PM
May 25, 7:00 PM
May 2019
Reply to Berch0
@Yui_Suzumiya69 I always watch Date A Live in both languages. And the subtitles are normally fine for the most part, but recently Crunchyroll has been using AI to translate anime so they can fire their actual translators because they’ve been getting the company in so much hot water.
@Berch0 I don't think they'll go full on AI translation though because the backlash would be too great for them.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Date A Live V Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29

53 by RealityChanges »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Date A Live V Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 10

80 by JamalPenguinz »»
7 hours ago

» Amazing foreshadowing

NickReyes - May 1

25 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
Yesterday, 11:21 AM

» Imagine watching this subtitled, lol ( 1 2 )

Yui_Suzumiya69 - May 23

76 by Yui_Suzumiya69 »»
Yesterday, 5:33 AM

» Shido and Mana backstory

CocoaGalaxy - May 31

8 by timemoon2000 »»
Jun 1, 1:49 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.