Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 30, 8:23 AM

Jul 2017
Holo being a Wolf Incarnate proves a strong point for Lawrence and the Milone Trading Company to fight back against Medio Trading for kidnapping her in the trust that she'll come up with some plan, it still hinges on the Trenni silver coins and their value. But in a way that profits Milone, it's not going to be a simple affair being targeted by the Church, and considerations are made according to the amount of silver being profited off of this venture, at the very soonest. And this is what Lawrence needs as insurance to get Holo back, as he races to the Kingdom of Trenni against time to get Holo as fast as possible.

With few words exchanged, the proceedings go as planned to be as succinct as possible, though Holo has her reservations about the whole Medio Trading kidnapping incident, of which Yarei was one, which he learned from Zheren that she is the Wise Wolf who once granted his village a bountiful harvest. Forgetting tradition and going for the outlier, Yarei doesn't trust in Holo anymore, but Lawrence will, with a wee bit of trust earned.

It's a battle of the merchants: Milone vs. Medio, with stakes on the line.
Apr 30, 11:24 AM

May 2021
That small Konosuba-like dance Holo did was so random and out-of-place and I already like it more than the rest of the episode.

Apr 30, 2:01 PM
Apr 2021
Ok good so Holo got saved easily I was afraid this show would’ve taken us on a wild goose chase with Lawrence looking for Holo for like 3 episodes or something glad she got saved quickly. Funny how he was so worried just for Holo to get him the death stare🤣🤣🤣

Awwww that little cute dance she did was SOOOOO adorable man why is Holo is happy go lucky? I love that about her AND THEY WERE HOLDING HANDS AT THE END this was such a W episode man🥰🥰🥰🥰🥹🥹🥹🥰🥹🥰
Apr 30, 4:01 PM

Dec 2016
Nitpicking. I feel we're owed an explanation on how the hooded guy took Holo from whatever hidding spot she was locked and walk her to a secret manhole. Not to mention how well guarded she was (my best guess is that the guy was already a mole in the Medio trading company and fooled or bribed the guards). I'm hoping the next couple of episodes does explain this important detail. Same with the bags and why where they carrying 4 bags when they jumped down into the tunnels and why the same hooded guy was only carrying two of them at the end.
Apr 30, 4:12 PM

Mar 2020
The rescue of Holo is afoot, and the result, a fond reunion...

A decent episode to be sure, though it lacked the tension that the previous episode had, making it a bit anticlimactic. It was nice to see Lawrence being more level-headed in trying to talk with the Milone trading company in hopes for some help in saving Holo. He put everything on the table, and it paid off well. Holo had her problems with how the whole thing went down, but at least everyone ended up safe at least for now. I'm sure there will be more tension as the anime continues, but this definitely built up Holo and Lawrence's relationship even more.
Apr 30, 4:55 PM

Mar 2023
Reply to Kimurah
Nitpicking. I feel we're owed an explanation on how the hooded guy took Holo from whatever hidding spot she was locked and walk her to a secret manhole. Not to mention how well guarded she was (my best guess is that the guy was already a mole in the Medio trading company and fooled or bribed the guards). I'm hoping the next couple of episodes does explain this important detail. Same with the bags and why where they carrying 4 bags when they jumped down into the tunnels and why the same hooded guy was only carrying two of them at the end.
@Kimurah About the bags: they explained during the episode that it's stuff they stole. That way it looks more like a (random) robbery where Holo happened to escape, rather than Holo being kidnapped/freed which would of made it too obvious who did it
Apr 30, 5:46 PM
Mar 2019
So the courtship now begins in earnest. Holo is such a tease to Kraft. She knows it. He's biting. Soon it will be hook, line, and sinker.
Apr 30, 6:56 PM

Jan 2008
I see...so in an addendum to the previous episode; the price of Trenni silver is inflating due to short supply, as many subcontracted merchants under Medio trading who are in the know have started buying it up, as are the royal treasury mint, who wants to collect the current high silver-purity content coins to melt down and produce newly minted silver of lower quality silver to stretch out their short supply. A short-term solution that inevitably only damages the value of their long-standing reputation of always being a trustworthy silver coin worth it's weight. Inflation sucks no matter how you slice it. Where the competing companies profit (the two major players being Medio and Milone) is trading their collected bought-up stash of coins to the royal family in exchange for lucrative privileges (mining rights, tariff-setting rights, and market management rights...etc) which will profit them exponentially more in the long run.

Lawrence has come up with a bold plan to save both his deal with Milone and Holo; force the Medio trading into a situation where it's more profitable to do business with Milone co, by buying the rights that would come from the silver trade with the kingdom, than to try and crush the company by selling them out to the church to burn at the stake. Meanwhile, Lawrence is essentially planning a prison break with the help of Milone's men until the business operation is complete by buying up all the silver before Medio does and taking the silver to negotiate with the king.

Milone employees getting attacked in the dark, and arson is done to their buildings on a daily...medieval commercial business sure is cut-throat. On the flip side, those acts reveal a lot of information, like the movements and whereabouts of their business rivals, and thus where Holo was being held.

Fascinating worldbuilding here; rather than the kingdom building sewers as a civil project, it's the church here that was the ones doing the digging to create sewer tunnels for espionage and tax evasion (now also utilized by companies). The church doing it under the guise of digging graves isn't all that unusual though, as catacombs were a huge thing in history, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility. But I have no idea why Lawrence decided to stand in the middle of the water and not on either of the two walking paths.

I can only imagine how embarrassed Holo was, if she mistook one of Milone's men as Lawrence breaking her out. Leaping into the man's arms, maybe? Medio's men that captured her (which she let them so Lawrence could flee) would have made a huge mistake if they followed through with the sexual assault attempt...they'd lose more than just their willy torn off as Holo threatened.

Yarei, that mf needs to go...to meet his maker. Not just for being on the side of people who tried to scam Lawrence, but mainly for intending to have his village's benefactor turned over to the church is an unforgivable sin. That ungrateful son of a bitch likely would not have survived beyond infancy had it not been for the generations of bountiful harvests and subsequent economic benefits from Holo's powers. That being said, Yarei's presence means Lawrence was able to deduce which noble was backing Medio's scheme, as the count controlled the wheat-producing village in his domain.

I now want a gif of Holo's little dance in the carriage. So freaking cute.
Apr 30, 8:19 PM

Aug 2014
I didn't understand why she was angry on him and what did she do when she thought it was him coming for her? ;o but she is still cute ;o
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Apr 30, 8:54 PM
Jun 2020
Was nice but i've seen better episodes of animes in my life. It could have been better, maybe.
May 1, 12:33 AM

Nov 2013
Holo's so cute. Don't remember this episode being this good the last time (older version).
May 1, 12:38 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to watsym
@RobertBobert Are you thinking of https://myanimelist.net/character/7375/Chloe ? She was added as an anime original, now replaced by https://myanimelist.net/character/137911/Yarei which is accurate to the LN
@watsym Ah yes, I got a bit confused. I remembered there was a female character from the village and now she was replaced by a dude. The event was the same so that's what confused me. Didn't know she was anime original character. Also glad they're loyal to the source this time!
May 1, 1:12 AM
Oct 2019
That Holo Dance at the end must become a GIF for sure.
May 1, 2:59 AM
Mar 2020
Once betrayed, twice shy. The liberation arc of Holo begins.
May 1, 3:45 AM

Jan 2018
I started watching the original Spice and Wolf. Took some time to catch up. Going from the OG to the Remake felt so weird ngl. It's so different and yet so familiar. Mainly the character design, the voice acting, and the background music. But everything else feels the same.

I was 100% expecting the pacing of the 2 to be different. But they aren't. In fact, they're pretty much 1:1. I think it's because the director is the same guy.

I did not expect Yarei to return from Episode 1. Chloe was an anime-original character in the original Spice and Wolf. I thought Yarei was an insignificant character and that's why the OG anime changed him to a girl. Now I don't understand why they replaced him with Chloe. Time to watch the OG Episode 5 and find out I guess. This was another thing that reminded me of Urusei Yatsura. The OG had Megane and his pals as original characters who replaced a manga character called Kosuke. Interesting stuff.

Yarei is such an asshole tho. I'm not the biggest fan of pagan gods myself but saying all that stuff was very unwarranted and also ungrateful. Poor Holo. But Lawrence is right. This will make it easier for her to cut ties with that village and move back to her homeland.

My God, Holo is so freaking cute. That scene of her playing with her ears is enough for me to consider this adaptation superior lol.

It's a shame that Holo was embarrassed. But at least she's safe now.
0451May 1, 5:05 AM
May 1, 4:25 AM

Feb 2016
Ngl this is really boring, skipped most of the episode becuase all that yappin', all of this was a really convoluted plot just to undo Lawrence's dumb decisions that led to their situation.
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.
May 1, 6:01 AM

Dec 2019
Reply to StallionXD
Ngl this is really boring, skipped most of the episode becuase all that yappin', all of this was a really convoluted plot just to undo Lawrence's dumb decisions that led to their situation.
@StallionXD This series is built on economics and the 'yapping' b/w Holo and Kraft so this might not be the series for you since stuff like this is why many love the series, this or the OG ver.
May 1, 7:43 AM
Sep 2021
Holo was rescued safely by Lawrence with the help of the trade company & now they need to find a safe place.
May 1, 9:03 AM

Jan 2008
Whatever that little gesture dance Holo was doing at the end... very cute.
May 2, 7:00 AM

Oct 2016
This episode was very cute. (8/10)
May 2, 4:20 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to Thyriad-oPPailov
I didn't understand why she was angry on him and what did she do when she thought it was him coming for her? ;o but she is still cute ;o
@Thyriad-oPPailov

Cause the guy she finds cute wasn't brave enough to fight for her^^

See - it's about masculinity.
And back in the 2000's, when this Show first aired, it wasn't labled bad or "toxic" yet.
May 2, 5:22 PM

Dec 2022
Holo really expected the average salesman to storm the church on a white horse and smite anyone who stood in the way of her rescue? Talk about a divine comedy.

Holo is right about a few things. She is cute, and men do fall for her easily.
May 2, 7:50 PM

Oct 2022
I have now fully grasped why the early 2000's people were so enamored by Holo.
UndefeatedBahamut
May 3, 11:54 AM
Jan 2022
This episode is very cute
May 3, 6:36 PM

May 2022
Who is Holo, the Wise Wolf?
For the blind, it's light;
For the hungry, it's bread;
For the sick, it's the cure;
For the sad, it's joy;
For the poor, it's the treasure;
For the debtor, it's forgiveness.

Pretty nice and beautiful seeing Holo playing and daning with her ears. Apreciate it with me:

May 4, 2:34 AM

May 2015
Glad to see Holo perfectly safe and happy.
May 4, 11:19 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
both holding hands, I'll stick with that sequence!
kekeke
May 4, 11:20 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Reply to Rezete_01
Who is Holo, the Wise Wolf?
For the blind, it's light;
For the hungry, it's bread;
For the sick, it's the cure;
For the sad, it's joy;
For the poor, it's the treasure;
For the debtor, it's forgiveness.

Pretty nice and beautiful seeing Holo playing and daning with her ears. Apreciate it with me:

I have the same opinion that you!!! ;)
kekeke
May 4, 5:02 PM

Sep 2023
Lawrence was not valorous enough for Holo! Holo you have to remember he is just a merchant xD Best part of the episode was the ears!
May 4, 7:02 PM

Jul 2016
Holo wanting Lawrence to go full Rambo on Medio to rescue her lol.

Pretty good episode. Really liked how the tension was handled regarding Holo's rescue mission and OST was magnificent once again.

Holo dancing with her ears was random asf but still cute nonetheless.
SouthRzVaMay 4, 7:05 PM
May 5, 2:09 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Reply to watsym
@RobertBobert Doesn't appear until volume 2, which should start from episode 7 onward. I don't remember if she should appear in 7 or 8.
@watsym I m waiting for more, to binge, but do you think that could be the pacing they are going to use for this season (and probably the rest of them), Highschool DxD has adapted 2 volumes per 12 episodes previously, and you have cases of anime only using one, like the Assassin and 86.

If my memory doesn't fail me, OG series used 2 volumes per season, with S2 skipping one, so maybe we could get 5 volumes adapted, to make sure S1 already finishes where S2 did?

5 volumes adapted per season would make them almost reach the end of the OG LN with 3 seasons if they want, or give us 4 seasons of this easily (which means, the time we need to wait aside, and considering them not fucking up), meaning we would be eating GOOD for ages!
May 5, 2:28 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to Playcool
@watsym I m waiting for more, to binge, but do you think that could be the pacing they are going to use for this season (and probably the rest of them), Highschool DxD has adapted 2 volumes per 12 episodes previously, and you have cases of anime only using one, like the Assassin and 86.

If my memory doesn't fail me, OG series used 2 volumes per season, with S2 skipping one, so maybe we could get 5 volumes adapted, to make sure S1 already finishes where S2 did?

5 volumes adapted per season would make them almost reach the end of the OG LN with 3 seasons if they want, or give us 4 seasons of this easily (which means, the time we need to wait aside, and considering them not fucking up), meaning we would be eating GOOD for ages!
@Playcool I think we'll get 4 volumes this season, meaning only last 6 episodes are adapting a volume that wasn't adapted before.
So far pacing is exactly the same as previous adaptation, they even end on the same scene/moment every episode. We're 5 episodes in and they still haven't finished volume 1.
May 5, 6:36 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
watsym said:
@Playcool I think we'll get 4 volumes this season, meaning only last 6 episodes are adapting a volume that wasn't adapted before.
So far pacing is exactly the same as previous adaptation, they even end on the same scene/moment every episode. We're 5 episodes in and they still haven't finished volume 1.

I don't recall the LN too well, but it kinda made sense to use this S1 to cover everything old series did, and then a S2 covering only new conten. But I won't complain if that means we will get even more content in the long term.
May 6, 3:46 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
After carefully debating what to do about Holo's situation it seems that Lawrence was able ot pull off his plan and rescue her while taking into account the trade for the silver coins and avois the Church's reporting. She was quite frustrated at first for him not coming back for her immediately but since we know what happened to him it felt more like an emotional outburst than a logical one. They really care for each other even if they won't admit it explicitly.

Now it's time to see what Yarei's gonna pull off next.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
May 6, 5:36 AM
Dec 2023
Slowly gets better and better. VERY SLOWLY though.
May 6, 6:25 AM

Feb 2021
That wolf girl really loves to dance and make expressions in every way XD
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 6, 12:51 PM

Jul 2012
Wasn't expecting Yarei to be there o:
May 6, 1:00 PM

Jun 2019
Oh my HOLO. You're so adorable. I love you so much. You're the cutest and I'm glad that someone as nice as Lawrence is with you. You guys are so perfect for each other. I want to see more of their romance developing. Holo playing with her ears was the cutest thing. So amazing.
May 6, 1:16 PM
Apr 2024
very good and very good
May 10, 3:58 AM

Feb 2019
The little dance Holo did with her hands and ears was so freaking cute!
May 13, 6:33 PM

Dec 2022
the dreary vibe along with the dreary, weepy orchestral accompaniment fit this part of the story quite nicely indeed
heheh Holo is pouty
May 15, 9:15 PM

Dec 2019
What exactly is Holo doing at ~20:36? I don't understand why she's doing that little dance, other than it showing her being weird in the context of the conversation Lawrence is having with the driver. It simultaneously is very random, and makes me feel like I'm missing something.
May 16, 7:38 AM

May 2015
Lawrence sure knows how to pick his allies, because that wagon escape with Holo was nice!
May 16, 1:43 PM

Aug 2014
Reply to Merve2Love
@Thyriad-oPPailov

Cause the guy she finds cute wasn't brave enough to fight for her^^

See - it's about masculinity.
And back in the 2000's, when this Show first aired, it wasn't labled bad or "toxic" yet.
@Merve2Love who and why would say it is bad or toxic now?
are there any differences in old version?
so far I love it

well he is just a simple trader not fighter.. he tried to defend her at the end in canals.. maybe that is why she returned :D
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
May 23, 9:01 AM
Nov 2022
Holo, as always being the best, nothing new 🚬
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 27

56 by lazypanda666 »»
Yesterday, 10:14 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 20

54 by matias067 »»
Yesterday, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

70 by jeffersondkid »»
Yesterday, 12:56 AM

» Binge

Astrid_Bear - May 27

19 by APolygons2 »»
May 28, 11:42 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

119 by MattJpX »»
May 28, 10:33 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.