Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 4, 1:24 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to Oongbuh
@deg That was not his debut, Park directed Garo: Vanishing Line a few years prior.
@Oongbuh i stand corrected then at that specific point
Mar 4, 2:00 PM
May 2021
we've gotten to the point that if the show is not in the top 1% of animation quality it "sucks", animation in this show is great many other issues i could point to if i want to nitpick the show and animation isnt one of them
Mar 4, 6:10 PM

Apr 2015
Waw reading this topic is really sad.. People believe this animation is great.. but how? It's a generic, bland and tasteless animation

That's a 4~5/10 at best
Mar 4, 6:17 PM
Feb 2020
It’s been rly good so far, yeah it’s not the craziest animation ever but it consistently looks good enough y’all just complain too much
Mar 4, 11:53 PM
Jun 2022
2 reasons prob saving up for the final fights of the season cause currently seems good when theres a fight. 2nd if u want it to be like the manhwa that is because people would be complaining cause the style doesn't suite animation
Mar 4, 11:54 PM
Jun 2022
JOJO_Fill said:
Kidzuna said:
How is it not good? All the fights have been looking outstanding and clean even tho there weren't any over the top fights for it to really shine

100% agree with my man, I think people saw JJK and other high quality productions, and they expect everything to match up to it. Solo's animation is great, lets leave it at that.

I don't think it's jjk that set thw bar for it but actually the manhwa
Mar 5, 6:55 AM
Jul 2020
Turquoisetic said:
As someone who watches classroom of the elite every week the fact that someone thinks this is bad animation is crazy. Be grateful bro

Totally agree XD. COTE is interesting but the animation is hella inconsistent.
Mar 5, 9:46 AM
Aug 2013
The problem is not that the animation isn't good....the animation needs to be god tier. That's the era we're approaching with anime now to really stand out it has to be god tier...

Why? Because with better technology, good animation has become the new average animation. There's just a lot of good animation now, so much that it becomes the new average. To really stand out you need god tier animation. And then eventually if every anime is god tier animation that will be the new average yet again and then the difference will only be in art styles and then 3D animation / CGI taking over from then on and becoming more and more realistic.

~AnimeDownUnder~

Mar 5, 10:17 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to AnimeDownUnder
The problem is not that the animation isn't good....the animation needs to be god tier. That's the era we're approaching with anime now to really stand out it has to be god tier...

Why? Because with better technology, good animation has become the new average animation. There's just a lot of good animation now, so much that it becomes the new average. To really stand out you need god tier animation. And then eventually if every anime is god tier animation that will be the new average yet again and then the difference will only be in art styles and then 3D animation / CGI taking over from then on and becoming more and more realistic.

@AnimeDownUnder So... basically how anime is now? Because what makes animation in general stand out is how every individual artist approachs it and how other artists execute that idea, it's not like it's something that depends entirely on what technology exists.
Mar 6, 5:49 AM
Dec 2021
who said it's not good!
it is good.
but just not great.
Mar 7, 5:45 PM

Dec 2014
Oh, this again... the animation is great, you people have no idea what you are talking about. Seeing comparisons with JJK and Demon Slayer is ridiculous - those are signature-type animations, done by those specific studios, is not something any studio can achieve, especially within an acceptable budget. First of all, this season is basically the prologue. Is 12 episodes, is gonna end before Jiwoon is even gets his actual powers, and gets to the point where you have all that pretty stuff.

chromaton said:

And what did people expect? Animation with an art style on the level of a compilation of still images done by an entire Studio? If we count the panels of a weekly SL webcoming episode, to animation frames, that is like 5 seconds of animation my dude - and that only if is not a fight scene.

@AnimeDownUnder
AnimeDownUnder said:

What a pale of utter nonsense... we had god tier animation tough out every era. Do you have any idea how much Bakemonogatari stood out among it's peers when it came in 2009? Everything that Shaft was doing in fact between 2009 and 2013 was in a league of it's own. Fate Zero also came up in 2011, same year with Madoka. So, Ufotable has been doing this quality of work for 13 years. Do you think that stopped people from enjoying or loving SAO or Fairy Tail even more? Animation evolves, but if you think that now if something is not like JJK it won't stand out or people won't enjoy it, you are out of your bloody mind.

Mar 8, 4:15 AM
Aug 2013
Reply to kronopy
Oh, this again... the animation is great, you people have no idea what you are talking about. Seeing comparisons with JJK and Demon Slayer is ridiculous - those are signature-type animations, done by those specific studios, is not something any studio can achieve, especially within an acceptable budget. First of all, this season is basically the prologue. Is 12 episodes, is gonna end before Jiwoon is even gets his actual powers, and gets to the point where you have all that pretty stuff.

chromaton said:

And what did people expect? Animation with an art style on the level of a compilation of still images done by an entire Studio? If we count the panels of a weekly SL webcoming episode, to animation frames, that is like 5 seconds of animation my dude - and that only if is not a fight scene.

@AnimeDownUnder
AnimeDownUnder said:

What a pale of utter nonsense... we had god tier animation tough out every era. Do you have any idea how much Bakemonogatari stood out among it's peers when it came in 2009? Everything that Shaft was doing in fact between 2009 and 2013 was in a league of it's own. Fate Zero also came up in 2011, same year with Madoka. So, Ufotable has been doing this quality of work for 13 years. Do you think that stopped people from enjoying or loving SAO or Fairy Tail even more? Animation evolves, but if you think that now if something is not like JJK it won't stand out or people won't enjoy it, you are out of your bloody mind.

@kronopy Lol I know that good animation existed in every era...but that's not my point. My point is that those anime didn't become the standard, the animation was only "amazing" because there was a very "few" rare anime with animation that good. God tier animation is kinda everywhere now, it's become almost very common and now it's become the actual standard. It's not like there's 1 or 2 shows such as fate or monogatari with god tier animation....it's literally everything mappa and ufo come out with now, it's bones studio, kyoto animation, etc... it's become the new standard so if an anime can't really keep up with this new standard of god tier animation, then it's not going to surpass the god tier animation either. Those shows will be seen as average, or below average.... Also another thing is the god tier animation got even better now compared to 10 years ago. Look at demon slayer vs fate zero and there's a clear huge different in animation. UFO table are even better now than 10 years ago. Not to say that fate zero doesn't still hold up, it's still the same studio they were ahead of their time back then but it's not nearly as impressive anymore when you see an anime like for example demon slayer season 2 or something like JJK season 2.

What was considered god tier animation back then, probably isn't god tier anymore it's probably moved down 1 category to either "good animation" or "slightly above average"..... I know something like FLCL which in the year 2000 was impressive, it's relatively average in todays standard
~AnimeDownUnder~

Mar 8, 4:25 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to AnimeDownUnder
@kronopy Lol I know that good animation existed in every era...but that's not my point. My point is that those anime didn't become the standard, the animation was only "amazing" because there was a very "few" rare anime with animation that good. God tier animation is kinda everywhere now, it's become almost very common and now it's become the actual standard. It's not like there's 1 or 2 shows such as fate or monogatari with god tier animation....it's literally everything mappa and ufo come out with now, it's bones studio, kyoto animation, etc... it's become the new standard so if an anime can't really keep up with this new standard of god tier animation, then it's not going to surpass the god tier animation either. Those shows will be seen as average, or below average.... Also another thing is the god tier animation got even better now compared to 10 years ago. Look at demon slayer vs fate zero and there's a clear huge different in animation. UFO table are even better now than 10 years ago. Not to say that fate zero doesn't still hold up, it's still the same studio they were ahead of their time back then but it's not nearly as impressive anymore when you see an anime like for example demon slayer season 2 or something like JJK season 2.

What was considered god tier animation back then, probably isn't god tier anymore it's probably moved down 1 category to either "good animation" or "slightly above average"..... I know something like FLCL which in the year 2000 was impressive, it's relatively average in todays standard
AnimeDownUnder said:
I know something like FLCL which in the year 2000 was impressive, it's relatively average in todays standard

No, it isn't. FLCL still has some very nuts sequences that, if anything, have become even better due to well they aged.
Mar 8, 8:41 PM
Jan 2023
Reply to Ryan_Iceberg
I have no problem with this adaptation at all. Story progression, Ost are great and animation is great too but not amazing like DS animation.
only problem I nitpicking is some characters and SJW's chin are so sharp that it look like typical japanese Isekai MC or Anos Voldigoad and doesn't feel like SJW at all.
@Ryan_Iceberg Sung Chin Woo
Mar 9, 2:18 AM
Jun 2022
Reply to kronopy

chromaton said:

@AnimeDownUnder
AnimeDownUnder said:

@kronopy oh bro I 100% agree with u that's why I said in my earlier comment that the style of drawing wouldn't suite animation I was just saying its most likely one of the biggest if not the biggest reason people don't like the animation cause of how good the manhwa looked
Mar 9, 5:42 AM

May 2009
Animation is too good for this garbage.
Mar 9, 12:10 PM

Sep 2014
I think its pretty good. Some frames look weird, I guess A1 could do better, but its fine and still good enough.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 9, 4:36 PM
Jan 2024
_HAKARI_ said:
According to me the animation quality is not good :(

Wow some1 got high standards. That’s sad tho so many old amazing anime’s u can’t watch cuss “the animation quality is not good :(“
Mar 9, 4:49 PM

Nov 2018
Whatchu mean not good enough? The fights have been animated quite well, and the out-of-dungeon scenes are animated like normal. Were you expecting a fight in each episode? Clearly you haven't read the Webtoon cause A1 have done a great job of animating all the panels and adding in anime-original scenes to elevate certain scenes.

We've yet to get to the Igris fight as well.

Proceeds to complain --> doesn't elaborate as to why

Expect KnY or JJK level of animation and you'll only ruin the experience for yourself.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Mar 9, 5:00 PM
Feb 2020
The animation is not bad but average/good with some better moments here and there. Honestly the ECHO MUSIC VIDEO has a better style and it's a music video (don't watch it if you didn't read the manwha, it's full of spoilers)
-
Said that, even with this level of animation the series would be enjoyable if not for the pace which is quite crazy. Sometimes they rush a lot (like the last ep9) and in others is very slow with useless scenes. The director is the real problem here which is turning a possible 10/10 anime into an 8/10 or 7/10. What a waste
Mar 9, 5:46 PM

Apr 2022
yeah its not as good as you'd expect something of this popularity to have but its still the best thing about this show.
Mar 10, 1:39 AM

Jul 2009
Reply to DarthDesigner
The animation is not bad but average/good with some better moments here and there. Honestly the ECHO MUSIC VIDEO has a better style and it's a music video (don't watch it if you didn't read the manwha, it's full of spoilers)
-
Said that, even with this level of animation the series would be enjoyable if not for the pace which is quite crazy. Sometimes they rush a lot (like the last ep9) and in others is very slow with useless scenes. The director is the real problem here which is turning a possible 10/10 anime into an 8/10 or 7/10. What a waste
@DarthDesigner The ECHO music video, first of all, is a music video, of course it has better quality than a series episode.
Second of all, the animation style in the video is completely different. They're animated manhwa panels, not fully hand drawn 2D frames. The workflow for these kind of animations is totally different. (I've done both before)

I think what people actually complain about is the choreography and the setup of certain scenes, which COULD be better, but since they're trying to copy as much visuals of the manhwa as possible, it just doesn't translate well. But if they did their own thing, fans would cry about how they change things and it's not 1:1 with the manhwa.
Mar 10, 3:35 AM

Jan 2021
I know. Throughout the series most of the time the animation is stiff....
Mar 10, 2:57 PM

Nov 2020
It's not bad, it's just ok, slightly above average
Mar 11, 2:48 PM

Jun 2015
This is the problem with forums. You have people with no understanding of the subject they're talking about critiquing it like they know something. "According to me" headass. The animation is objectively very good and it's not a matter of opinion. You may choose to like or dislike the style of animation but you're just lying if you say it's bad without providing a technical analysis. If you wanna be bad animation go watch Bleach.
Read Toriko!
Mar 12, 2:08 AM

Jul 2009
Reply to phantom346
This is the problem with forums. You have people with no understanding of the subject they're talking about critiquing it like they know something. "According to me" headass. The animation is objectively very good and it's not a matter of opinion. You may choose to like or dislike the style of animation but you're just lying if you say it's bad without providing a technical analysis. If you wanna be bad animation go watch Bleach.
@phantom346 finally someone with braincells.

I have experience with 2D animation but not in the anime area, and after watching an animation breakdown video on yt, I appreciate the animation quality in SL even more.

People only want to see big and flashy movements, but SL animation style seems to get its quality from things like perspective heavy and full body shots, it's more subtle.
But people can only comprehend things that are practically pushed into their faces it seems.
Mar 12, 2:13 AM

May 2021
I still don't get why people think solo levelling has bad animation, when its been so consistently good throughout. You then got people praising the fuck out of JJK S2 animation, when it clearly, objectively had some inconsistent badly animated episodes. This world is delusional.
Mar 13, 2:14 PM
Dec 2017
Reply to phantom346
@phantom346 You apparently are one of those who doesn't know what he's talking about. the animation is objectively very bad, there are some noteworthy clips, but in general it is a total disappointment, rigid movements, frozen images, poorly used compositing to mask the lack of animations... Only leveling is anything but well animated, lol
Mar 13, 2:18 PM
Dec 2017
Reply to Vedrun
@phantom346 finally someone with braincells.

I have experience with 2D animation but not in the anime area, and after watching an animation breakdown video on yt, I appreciate the animation quality in SL even more.

People only want to see big and flashy movements, but SL animation style seems to get its quality from things like perspective heavy and full body shots, it's more subtle.
But people can only comprehend things that are practically pushed into their faces it seems.
@Vedrun So for you, someone who insults has brain cells? haha it's already funny that you have to see a youtuber praising who knows what to convince you that Solo leveling has good animation when it doesn't. The animation is quite disgusting and if we want to be really picky an animation worthy of the name it should have 24 frames per second which makes the movement as natural and fluid as possible... Leveling alone is already a lot if it has 2 or 3 frames per second to make you understand how much the animation sucks
Mar 13, 2:23 PM
Dec 2017
Reply to Zimmu
I still don't get why people think solo levelling has bad animation, when its been so consistently good throughout. You then got people praising the fuck out of JJK S2 animation, when it clearly, objectively had some inconsistent badly animated episodes. This world is delusional.
@Zimmu Because it's so rigid that it seems like studio Deen made it... look for example at the battle between Jin woo and the 6 hunters in episode 6, there wasn't a single well animated movement, they were all power point combined with compositing which did seemed to have animations, same thing for other fights like in episode 7 against Cerberos which was an alternation between decently animated moments and really poorly animated moments... JJK2 had some drops but at least the quality was there, perhaps the only one really bad episode of jjk2 was the 18th, but otherwise although it changed animation style a few times, jjk2 did a good job in bringing us the anime (it could have done better but even so it was fine), Solo leveling instead seems to watch Hell's Paradise for how poorly animated it is
Mar 13, 2:32 PM

May 2021
Reply to Leon888
@Zimmu Because it's so rigid that it seems like studio Deen made it... look for example at the battle between Jin woo and the 6 hunters in episode 6, there wasn't a single well animated movement, they were all power point combined with compositing which did seemed to have animations, same thing for other fights like in episode 7 against Cerberos which was an alternation between decently animated moments and really poorly animated moments... JJK2 had some drops but at least the quality was there, perhaps the only one really bad episode of jjk2 was the 18th, but otherwise although it changed animation style a few times, jjk2 did a good job in bringing us the anime (it could have done better but even so it was fine), Solo leveling instead seems to watch Hell's Paradise for how poorly animated it is
@Leon888
Tbh I think I kind of see why people have differences in opinions on animation. I think you must care about solo leveling a lot, so you took your time to rewatch the fighting scenes and spot the mistakes. I praise you for this. Me on the other hand rewatched JJK S2 countless times. I mean not to argue or anything, but I think JJK S2 has far worse episodes than 18th (Itadori vs Mahito). For example, the grasshopper fight and Dagon domain vs. Zenin class, in which the animation is a lot stiffer than Solo Levelling. (Ep8 and ep14 btw). They are so bad, to the point I question if MAPPA really animated them. We also have many fights ruined by slow motion, like Megumi Itadori vs Grandson, and Ino vs Toji. The fact that they put so many slow motion shots in an action sequence still piss me off.

Not to turn this into a JJK discussion, but I think you see that many people have difference in opinion because of how much we care about something. Someone like me who don't really care about SL might see them as good because I only watch it one time. You might not care enough to watch JJKS2 numerous times so you think JJKS2 has great animation.

But still, I think you should lower your standard on SL lol. To me it looks great enough already and I can tell you its way better than JJKS2's overall animation in my perspective.
Mar 14, 12:41 AM

Jul 2009
Reply to Leon888
@Vedrun So for you, someone who insults has brain cells? haha it's already funny that you have to see a youtuber praising who knows what to convince you that Solo leveling has good animation when it doesn't. The animation is quite disgusting and if we want to be really picky an animation worthy of the name it should have 24 frames per second which makes the movement as natural and fluid as possible... Leveling alone is already a lot if it has 2 or 3 frames per second to make you understand how much the animation sucks
@Leon888 He didn't insult anyone?

Leon888 said:
that you have to see a youtuber praising who knows what to convince you that Solo leveling has good animation

Uuuuh, ever heard of something called education? I'm not familiar with animation regarding anime, of course I'm gonna learn about it first before I give my opinion on the matter. I know what makes a general animation look good, I've animated 2D before, just not for anime. Do you know how much time it takes to animate 24 frames? The faster the scene plays out and the more chaotic it is, the less frames you need to make it look smooth, it would just be a lot of wasted effort.

The things that had been made evident through the video, is that they use a lot of full-body shots and perspective changes during motion, which not a lot of shows do and looks really complicated. It's not something you really notice and keep in mind while watching, so it was interesting to see broken down, and should be taken into account when judging the animation quality.

Yes, the animation doesn't look perfect 100% of the time, but it's definitely not as bad as you make it out to be.
Mar 14, 1:35 AM
Aug 2023
The animation is an 8/10 which is great but not a masterpiece and the action scenes are good too I think you are expecting "SAKUGA" in an opening season.You are expecting Entertainment district and Shibuya Incident in a show that's just beginning. Wait till hype moments to see breathtaking animations, I mean even Chainsaw Man didn't have SAKUGA and the level of the animation is no different from Chainsaw Man. The only major difference is the Hype. SL is still at 500k members 🥲
Mar 14, 10:07 AM
Dec 2017
Reply to Zimmu
@Leon888
Tbh I think I kind of see why people have differences in opinions on animation. I think you must care about solo leveling a lot, so you took your time to rewatch the fighting scenes and spot the mistakes. I praise you for this. Me on the other hand rewatched JJK S2 countless times. I mean not to argue or anything, but I think JJK S2 has far worse episodes than 18th (Itadori vs Mahito). For example, the grasshopper fight and Dagon domain vs. Zenin class, in which the animation is a lot stiffer than Solo Levelling. (Ep8 and ep14 btw). They are so bad, to the point I question if MAPPA really animated them. We also have many fights ruined by slow motion, like Megumi Itadori vs Grandson, and Ino vs Toji. The fact that they put so many slow motion shots in an action sequence still piss me off.

Not to turn this into a JJK discussion, but I think you see that many people have difference in opinion because of how much we care about something. Someone like me who don't really care about SL might see them as good because I only watch it one time. You might not care enough to watch JJKS2 numerous times so you think JJKS2 has great animation.

But still, I think you should lower your standard on SL lol. To me it looks great enough already and I can tell you its way better than JJKS2's overall animation in my perspective.
@Zimmu interesting message, but no, I have not watched only leveling several times as I find the product disappointing even after watching it only once, I am well aware of the errors in episodes 8 and 14 in fact the most criticized ones together with episode 18, but I find the ep 18 the worst since you really noticed the lack of animations there, take for example the scene of itadori vs mahito in the elevator, there was Itadori teleporting from one place to another without any animated scene that made it clear how he got to certain places places, or even the horrible blood splatter when they both got out of that giant caterpillar, or some annoying camera angles while Itadori and mahito fought inside the giant caterpillar (at least they did Nanami's part decently).

Some things you said are right but they also gave us exciting battles like Jogo vs Sukuna ep 16, Maharoga vs Sukuna ep 17, Gojo vs special grade ep 9, Itadori vs Choso ep 13, etc... in Solo leveling I yet to find a battle worthy of the name, not even the much praised battle between jinwoo vs the hunter of grade B ep 9 managed to satisfy me also thanks to a mediocre direction and several parts sped up or cut within the episode, and furthermore if you read the manhwa which has very beautiful drawings, you will understand that this animation does not do justice at all to what Solo leveling should be, there are some really cool battles going further and further and if this is the best they can do, then they better quit
Mar 14, 10:18 AM
Dec 2017
Reply to Vedrun
@Leon888 He didn't insult anyone?

Leon888 said:
that you have to see a youtuber praising who knows what to convince you that Solo leveling has good animation

Uuuuh, ever heard of something called education? I'm not familiar with animation regarding anime, of course I'm gonna learn about it first before I give my opinion on the matter. I know what makes a general animation look good, I've animated 2D before, just not for anime. Do you know how much time it takes to animate 24 frames? The faster the scene plays out and the more chaotic it is, the less frames you need to make it look smooth, it would just be a lot of wasted effort.

The things that had been made evident through the video, is that they use a lot of full-body shots and perspective changes during motion, which not a lot of shows do and looks really complicated. It's not something you really notice and keep in mind while watching, so it was interesting to see broken down, and should be taken into account when judging the animation quality.

Yes, the animation doesn't look perfect 100% of the time, but it's definitely not as bad as you make it out to be.
@Vedrun ah yes I also noticed the famous shots, the ones that make it look animated when in reality it isn't, in episode 9 there were also some stiff camera movements during the filming of jin woo's battle against the B-rank hunter, if do you want to see high-level animated shows recovered the works of Fate Unlimited blade works, Vivy, One punch man season 1, Jujutsu Kaisen, Fire force or Heavenly delusion... also always in the A1 paintings area there are animated shows better than leveling solo: Licor lecois, Fate apocrhypha, 86, Sword art online, Love is war... this animation isn't even good, I don't understand how people can defend such a poor animation when solo leveling is just battles mostly, so obviously it must have high level animations regardless without counting the spectacular artistic part of the manhwa... if you think this animation is beautiful, try to think that it could be 100 times better than this (and the problems unfortunately are not only in the animation of this show)
Mar 14, 10:21 AM
Dec 2017
Reply to PreDeimo4
The animation is an 8/10 which is great but not a masterpiece and the action scenes are good too I think you are expecting "SAKUGA" in an opening season.You are expecting Entertainment district and Shibuya Incident in a show that's just beginning. Wait till hype moments to see breathtaking animations, I mean even Chainsaw Man didn't have SAKUGA and the level of the animation is no different from Chainsaw Man. The only major difference is the Hype. SL is still at 500k members 🥲
@PreDeimo4 I hope you are joking ? Solo leveling doesn't have even a shred of chainsaw man animation, not to mention that in an opening season they gave us fantastic shows like Jjk, demon slayer, Fire force without going to get their respective 2 seasons... to say that Solo leveling it's an 8/10 when in reality a 5/10 just means praise without any merit
Mar 14, 11:08 AM

May 2021
Reply to Leon888
@Zimmu interesting message, but no, I have not watched only leveling several times as I find the product disappointing even after watching it only once, I am well aware of the errors in episodes 8 and 14 in fact the most criticized ones together with episode 18, but I find the ep 18 the worst since you really noticed the lack of animations there, take for example the scene of itadori vs mahito in the elevator, there was Itadori teleporting from one place to another without any animated scene that made it clear how he got to certain places places, or even the horrible blood splatter when they both got out of that giant caterpillar, or some annoying camera angles while Itadori and mahito fought inside the giant caterpillar (at least they did Nanami's part decently).

Some things you said are right but they also gave us exciting battles like Jogo vs Sukuna ep 16, Maharoga vs Sukuna ep 17, Gojo vs special grade ep 9, Itadori vs Choso ep 13, etc... in Solo leveling I yet to find a battle worthy of the name, not even the much praised battle between jinwoo vs the hunter of grade B ep 9 managed to satisfy me also thanks to a mediocre direction and several parts sped up or cut within the episode, and furthermore if you read the manhwa which has very beautiful drawings, you will understand that this animation does not do justice at all to what Solo leveling should be, there are some really cool battles going further and further and if this is the best they can do, then they better quit
@Leon888
Yeah, although I did not rewatch ep18 many times like with what I did with other eps, I do remember it being a pretty mediocre ep overall. Also, you pointed out ep 9, 13 and 16. These are easily the best fights in this season, I would also add Gojo vs Toji (ep 3/4) and the Itadori Todo vs Mahito in station.

However, ep 17 imo is pretty mid. Im not gonna explain much the reason because there are so many, but to summarize, the anime original fight in that ep are completely out of the JJK context and just weird. Flying debris, Makora changing size, throwing a floating train around, exploding airplane which blow out Makora (when they never showed how Makora even got on the airplane in the first place). When Makora was blown into a swimming pool, the pool wouldnt have fit him (remember he is big enough to twist a train using his hand). The list can go on, but the point is, majority of the fight scenes in ep 17 made 0 sense nor context. The whole episode is just a mess, with sole purpose to show its chaotic. But they could have shown it better, like they did wih ep 16, instead of coming up retarded anime only fights that has 0 direction. It feels like they just pieced together several fights, and forgot to add transitions.

Its pretty disappointing to see, considering ep16 was so stunning, and the anime original fights in 16 actually made sense and had very good direction. For example, a camera shot to Jogo's eye then immediatly switches to 1st person; the fast sequence of Sukuna kicking Jogo through a building...Although the artstyle of ep16 and 17 is similar, the production is not on the same level. The director who said is 30% of intended version really meant that.

in Solo leveling I yet to find a battle worthy of the name, not even the much praised battle between jinwoo vs the hunter of grade B ep 9 managed to satisfy me also thanks to a mediocre direction and several parts sped up or cut within the episode, and furthermore if you read the manhwa which has very beautiful drawings, you will understand that this animation does not do justice at all to what Solo leveling should be, there are some really cool battles going further and further and if this is the best they can do, then they better quit

Yeah I understand your frustration. But tbf these fights so far in SL aren't very worthy to remember anyway, so you shouldn't feel disappointed by that.

I would still say you are just like me. You care about the source material, like me with JJK manga. Then you complain about parts not matching your expecatation, which is also like me. But when we view each other's complaints, they don't make much sense, because I never rewatched SL, and you probably didnt see jjk ep 17 more than 15 times like me lol. (Im not joking when I said 15 times)
ZimmuMar 14, 11:11 AM
Mar 14, 11:57 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to Zimmu
@Leon888

Zimmu said:
To me it looks great enough already and I can tell you its way better than JJKS2's overall animation in my perspective.

Not at all, you're really just forcing this. You can say it has a way better level of consistency, as the difference between the highs and the lows isn't that drastic, but speaking in general sense saying it has better animation than JJK is a stretch and a half.
Mar 14, 3:43 PM

Jul 2009
Reply to Leon888
@Vedrun ah yes I also noticed the famous shots, the ones that make it look animated when in reality it isn't, in episode 9 there were also some stiff camera movements during the filming of jin woo's battle against the B-rank hunter, if do you want to see high-level animated shows recovered the works of Fate Unlimited blade works, Vivy, One punch man season 1, Jujutsu Kaisen, Fire force or Heavenly delusion... also always in the A1 paintings area there are animated shows better than leveling solo: Licor lecois, Fate apocrhypha, 86, Sword art online, Love is war... this animation isn't even good, I don't understand how people can defend such a poor animation when solo leveling is just battles mostly, so obviously it must have high level animations regardless without counting the spectacular artistic part of the manhwa... if you think this animation is beautiful, try to think that it could be 100 times better than this (and the problems unfortunately are not only in the animation of this show)
@Leon888 yes, solo leveling hasn't the best animation there is, but no one said it has.

I just rewatched 86 recently and you can hardly compare animated mechs to human bodies. Can't say much for the others since I either haven't watched them or don't remember. Fate definitely had nice battles.

I haven't watched JJK but I've seen battles of it and yes, they're nicely done but if we're in nitpicking territory already I'd say many are lazy shots especially in angles that don't need much animating, many still images where only the face moves and really bad full body shots and a very inconsistent quality overall from what I've seen.

If anything imo MHA is better animated than what I've seen of JJK so far.

Leon888 said:
also noticed the famous shots, the ones that make it look animated when in reality it isn't,

You do realise that even if it's only a camera rotation around the character, it still has to be animated? The character changing perspective relative to the camera IS an animation, I don't know what you're on about.

And what's so bad about making it look animated when in reality it isn't? Does it matter? If that's true then they're using tricks to save workload, a very common thing in game development and you're not seeing people complain how reflections in games aren't actually real reflections, it still does the trick in the end so who tf cares. You're really just complaining about the how instead of the what, which is pointless.

You've clearly been going back and analysing the SL animations frame by frame, just to find things to pick on. If you're looking THAT closely at the animation you're gonna find the exact same problems in literally every show, because they're not gonna put double the frames into an animation just in case someone comes to take it apart frame by frame lmao

Like, I'm picky enough when it comes to fight scenes animation, and yes, the speedlines in ep9 were not cool, but the rest has been really good so far. I never called them beautiful or amazing, but they're good. Bad battle animations would be something like in D.Gray-Man for example, now THAT would be atrocious.
Mar 15, 4:53 AM
Oct 2020
The animation's good so far, I mean what else do you want? It's a series not a movie or anything. If you what movie level animations every week then it's impossible.
Mar 16, 11:45 AM
Mar 2021
It feels like the studio wanted to get to the good part quickly and didn't bother too much with the animation of the first 5 episodes. They were all meh. It's a lot better since ep. 6, but a bit uneven still.
The double dungeon scene was a huge missed opportunity, it could have been animated spectacularly. The grinning statue itself was nice but apart from that everything was mid.
Mar 20, 10:58 AM
Sep 2023
Tulleha said:
i agree coming into this anime as a manga reader i had high hopes but they were crushed after ep 3 and 4 as i realised this will be another above average anime and never reach the level of demon slayer or jjk

And dont say i hate solo leveling its my top 5 manga ive ever read

If you think Jujutsu Kaisen or Demon Slayer are the standard of good animation then have fun trying to enjoy other good shows.. an anime doesn't have to be on their level to have good animation. A1 is doing a good job animating and Solo leveling has good animation. Lower your standards a little
Mar 21, 2:46 AM
Apr 2022
Liam19 said:
Tulleha said:
i agree coming into this anime as a manga reader i had high hopes but they were crushed after ep 3 and 4 as i realised this will be another above average anime and never reach the level of demon slayer or jjk

And dont say i hate solo leveling its my top 5 manga ive ever read

If you think Jujutsu Kaisen or Demon Slayer are the standard of good animation then have fun trying to enjoy other good shows.. an anime doesn't have to be on their level to have good animation. A1 is doing a good job animating and Solo leveling has good animation. Lower your standards a little

bro I'm trying my level best to do that but it's just hard because I started with the goats of the anime industry.
Mar 23, 8:26 AM

May 2021
You made so many threads, but this one gotta be your worst take yet
Mar 23, 8:35 AM

May 2021
Reply to Oongbuh
Zimmu said:
To me it looks great enough already and I can tell you its way better than JJKS2's overall animation in my perspective.

Not at all, you're really just forcing this. You can say it has a way better level of consistency, as the difference between the highs and the lows isn't that drastic, but speaking in general sense saying it has better animation than JJK is a stretch and a half.
@Oongbuh

Yeah thats my mistake. I didn't mean to say SL is better than the entirety of JJKS2, cuz ik its not true. I was in the mood of argument and didn't fully re-read what I wrote. Ofc, I don't think SL can top certain good animated eps like Choso, Jogo and Makora ep in JJKS2. When I wrote that, I really meant that SL is better than the bad JJKS2 eps, like I mentioned above the Dagon and grasshopper ep.
ZimmuMar 23, 8:41 AM
Mar 23, 8:40 AM

May 2021
Reply to Vedrun
@Leon888 yes, solo leveling hasn't the best animation there is, but no one said it has.

I just rewatched 86 recently and you can hardly compare animated mechs to human bodies. Can't say much for the others since I either haven't watched them or don't remember. Fate definitely had nice battles.

I haven't watched JJK but I've seen battles of it and yes, they're nicely done but if we're in nitpicking territory already I'd say many are lazy shots especially in angles that don't need much animating, many still images where only the face moves and really bad full body shots and a very inconsistent quality overall from what I've seen.

If anything imo MHA is better animated than what I've seen of JJK so far.

Leon888 said:
also noticed the famous shots, the ones that make it look animated when in reality it isn't,

You do realise that even if it's only a camera rotation around the character, it still has to be animated? The character changing perspective relative to the camera IS an animation, I don't know what you're on about.

And what's so bad about making it look animated when in reality it isn't? Does it matter? If that's true then they're using tricks to save workload, a very common thing in game development and you're not seeing people complain how reflections in games aren't actually real reflections, it still does the trick in the end so who tf cares. You're really just complaining about the how instead of the what, which is pointless.

You've clearly been going back and analysing the SL animations frame by frame, just to find things to pick on. If you're looking THAT closely at the animation you're gonna find the exact same problems in literally every show, because they're not gonna put double the frames into an animation just in case someone comes to take it apart frame by frame lmao

Like, I'm picky enough when it comes to fight scenes animation, and yes, the speedlines in ep9 were not cool, but the rest has been really good so far. I never called them beautiful or amazing, but they're good. Bad battle animations would be something like in D.Gray-Man for example, now THAT would be atrocious.
@Vedrun

Thank god someone else noticed this. I thought I was the only one who found this to be a problem. You are completely right. Insane how you never watched JJK but already noticed it after seeing clips. This is a very big problem in JJK S2, especially in the 2nd Shibuya arc. The fight scenes in the beginning and middle of the arc are filled with close up shots and slow motion. In other words, they are lazy shots. These shots all occur in fight scenes, and I personally think its a problem that fight scenes have so many close up angle shots. Not only they affect the fluidity and flow of the fight, but these angles just makes the entire comprehension more difficult. The worst ep with this problem is ep 12, where the 2 fights in this ep all exhibits this issue.

many still images where only the face moves and really bad full body shots and a very inconsistent quality overall from what I've seen.

Exactly right. I have to give you a medal because you are the only person I found who noticed this. Its really weird that in JJKS2, so many bad full body shots are used during fights. When that happens, slow motion is always used along side it. This honestly makes certain eps so annoying to watch because they used so minimal long shots to show the overall picture of the fight, but instead just zooms on the character's ass and face.
ZimmuMar 23, 8:49 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Mar 30

391 by MainAxe9880 »»
Today, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

303 by Apreggi »»
Yesterday, 7:02 PM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 16

167 by Apreggi »»
Yesterday, 6:24 PM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 9

228 by Apreggi »»
Yesterday, 6:02 PM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 2

280 by Apreggi »»
Yesterday, 5:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.