Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Devil Is a Part-Timer! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 14, 2022 10:29 AM
Aug 2021
Finally this anime is back after decades, I thought it would be like sakurasou (no S2). glad to see emi and maou sama. There's a change in artstyle and it's really good..... looking forward to the upcoming episodes!!!💯💜💯💜💯
Jul 14, 2022 10:33 AM

Jul 2020
art and animation was so ass tf. ruined the vibe the first szn had
Jul 14, 2022 10:38 AM

Aug 2021
oookay I came here to share my excitement about the new season with everyone here but I'm seeing a lot of complaints on the character designs so in order to not traumatize myself like I did with the Shield hero forums I will not be participating for a while (but I really am super happy that Maou and team are back,
were my literal favourite)
Jul 14, 2022 10:39 AM

Jul 2014
I didn't watch it the year it came out but it's been a few years since I did and it was one of those shows I didn't expect to get a second season. Glad I was wrong, what a fun comeback! It made me so happy to see these characters back.

At the time I watched this, I didn't know much about seiyuus but I remember Chiho was my best girl. With the news of the second season, I realized as I remembered, "Oh that's right, Chiho is voiced by Nao Touyama". Of course she would be my best girl haha. And after watching the episode I can say that she is as cute as I remembered her <3.

There's the thing about the character designs being a bit different but it's not hard to get used to so yeah, very excited and looking forward to more.
Jul 14, 2022 10:41 AM

Aug 2020
Long long wait is over. The artstyle is very different but not like bad.
Jul 14, 2022 10:41 AM

Jan 2021
Cant believe we are here after so many years. Makes me think that we might get a NGNL sequel as well
Jul 14, 2022 10:51 AM
Deez

Jul 2021
Love this show. More simplistic art style but same amazing energy. btw... the child is some creature with enlarged arms and head... an abomination. just wanted to say
Jul 14, 2022 10:58 AM
Feb 2021
I think this anime is good enough for the first episode, a lot of technological adjustments in the anime have become somewhat related to today's era, the comedy is also pretty good,Although the character design is a bit disappointing, but that's okay, because it can't be compared to 9 years ago, to be honest when asked who was wrong,It's definitely White Fox, because it often releases good anime for no apparent reason, for example the grimoireofzero anime released by the studio, Dawn of Witch alone makes the graphics a bit disappointing
Jul 14, 2022 10:59 AM

Mar 2016
After almost a decade, Devil Part Timer finally gets a s2, but at what cost? As much as I'm fine with the new graphics, I feel like much of the charm and liveliness that made Devil Part Timer what it is was lost along the way. The more simplistic and subdued designs don't have the sharper details and expressions that the predecessors had, even though 3Hz does seem to be trying their best with what they were provided with. I'm not gonna put anyone in particular at fault here. It's next to impossible to gather all the people involved with the production of s1 for another go with s2, especially with how times have since changed in the industry and general viewership. As for everything else with this series, it's mostly the same as always. Same dysfunctional fun bunch, same hilarious satire humor, and same general story direction and settings. As much as I heard about the controversial ending multiple times and how the ED visuals blatantly hinted to it, I don't find it ruining my enjoyment so far. It's still the good ol' Devil Part Timer we all knew in the end, even with the new look; it was one of the earlier shows I've watched when I was getting into the anime medium, and I sure still do have fond memories of it (even had it at 9-10/10 at one point), even if my value for it hasn't aged well with time.
Jul 14, 2022 11:15 AM

Feb 2007
The questionable faces are only outdone by the questionable NTR baby...
Jul 14, 2022 11:16 AM

Dec 2014
i've been waiting for Ramus Alas since season 1, all i can say is, CUTE!
Jul 14, 2022 11:25 AM

Mar 2018
I get the hype that people are having since this anime's been back, but this first episode wasn't really anything to write home about.

Personal preference, but how did (IMO) the art get worse from the nine years since it last aired?
Jul 14, 2022 11:35 AM

Mar 2021
I actually really like the art. This episode was a bit of a slow burn for an opener but I still really enjoyed it, especially the second half. The comedy is top tier as usual
Check out my music - https://irrenoid.com/music

Jul 14, 2022 11:42 AM

Apr 2020
I FUCKING LOVE IT
Super excited for the next episode!
Nina supporter for life💕
Jul 14, 2022 12:03 PM
Mar 2020
this little banter with all of them is what i love this anime so much. Its been 9 fucking years. Whoever approve this project is a god. thanks you for bringing this back
Jul 14, 2022 12:14 PM
Jan 2021
i love how chaotic the first ep was 🤣🤣the facial expressions too lolol

Jul 14, 2022 12:14 PM

Jan 2009
Okay, let's not mince words. This was terrible. In multiple aspects. And I'm saying this as a huge fan of the show, who has rewatched S1 at least 10 times, and who knows the LN and manga intimately. I am seriously shocked.

1) The artstyle is horrible. We have a strange mishmash of uber-cutesy eyes-open-so-wide-that-they-would-pop-out-of-their-sockets for the girls, mixed with pseudo-SD-parts (especially at the mouth) when the guys yell and scream. It turns the characters into kids, and it feels like the target audience has been reduced to toddlers, too.

2) Horrible scriptwriting. Showing 3 minutes of Ashiya chewing out Lucifer is not funny, it is annoying and really grating on my nerves. Was this supposed to be funny? Or were the 3 minutes wasted on a cockroach supposed to be funny? Why the f*ck should we care about fully or semi-automatic washing machines? I was groaning, not laughing.

What makes things extra painful is that the appearance of Alas Ramus is one of the absolute highlights of the source material. This is when the story really kicks off, and I am completely convinced that the old animation team would have turned into something special - but this was COMPLETELY botched. I can recall chuckling about exactly one scene: Chiho phasing out over Maou's hug.

3) The voices. What has happened with the funny and lively banter? I don't want to blame the VAs, because they are forced to voice what the scriptwriter f*cked up, but I really need to get used to them, as well.

What a terrible, terrible disappointment, with an incompetent studio butchering one of my favorite shows. I might not even follow this if things don't get better in the next 1-2 episodes, and simply deny its existence.

Never would have thought this possible.
Jul 14, 2022 12:18 PM

Feb 2019
Admittedly thought that Hatamaou was carried by nostalgia but this was a really good first episode back. The final 10 minutes were legitimately hilarious. Took a while to build up to the good part of the episode, but it felt like a set up episode anyway.

Art style is ok and very modern so no issues. Something about the voice acting seems a little off tho.

Can’t wait to see mfs seethe when their fave mid ass generic tsundere waifu loses tho
Jul 14, 2022 12:30 PM

Aug 2020
The soul of the director is 100% there , the board and the directiing are really trying to replicate the past season's success . But the subpar animation and drawings are really hurting the show's impact , massively . And the show is already showing signs of collapsing . this hurts to watch
Jul 14, 2022 12:37 PM

Jan 2021
BlackMalachite said:
I actually really like the art. This episode was a bit of a slow burn for an opener but I still really enjoyed it, especially the second half. The comedy is top tier as usual
I just rewatched the first season before starting this and I think the new art style is off putting. Still glad we got a 2nd season tho
I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT
Jul 14, 2022 12:38 PM

Jan 2021
TweedleDane said:
The soul of the director is 100% there , the board and the directiing are really trying to replicate the past season's success . But the subpar animation and drawings are really hurting the show's impact , massively . And the show is already showing signs of collapsing . this hurts to watch
can't say much about it collapsing but i agree that the art looks really weird, especially compared to season 1
Jul 14, 2022 12:41 PM

Jan 2021
they definitely had me in the first half. Thought it was going to be another one of Maou's underlings, not some cockroach.
Jul 14, 2022 12:48 PM

Jun 2015
'Papa, Mama' Love it!!!! lets go next season!

P.s I only watched last season over the last 48 hours and im feeling pretty pleased we going into a new one.
Roch2001Jul 14, 2022 12:52 PM
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Jul 14, 2022 12:55 PM
Apr 2022
Limi said:
Entirely different character design and animation.

It is really off-putting and not assiociating with the same vibe the previous season had.

Ah okay I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that too. I honestly preferred the older art style. I can't exactly put my finger on what it is, but the new art style just seems off to me.
Jul 14, 2022 1:20 PM
Apr 2016
Nishant_ said:
ANYA GETTING SOME COMPETITION HERE

aha true, well the voice acting is perfect imo
Jul 14, 2022 1:30 PM
Dec 2020
I liked the old art style, but the new one's not too bad
Jul 14, 2022 2:02 PM

May 2019
Straight away, I think there's already enough fire to go around concerning Studio 3Hz's approach to character design compared to the first season, so I'm just going to keep those opinions to myself. However, I will compliment how Urushihara still looks roughly the same compared to White Fox, though I'm interested if fangs are the new thing being animated here (especially with Ashiya & Maou).

On the other hand, I'm happy they kept the original character personalities along with their respective VAs. Given the near-decade break between the two seasons, it was a bit helpful being given a small recap of the anime's setting. Music-wise, the OP tried to mimic the first season in its style, and the main visual of all characters together was pretty much a callback. Also, it seemed that the Dullahan flashback seemed to be borrowed from White Fox, though I'm not completely sure.

For me, I'll just give Studio 3Hz a chance with this new season though, admittedly, I will get a bit picky of how certain bits are animated. I'll try to stay optimistic about what can be expected of this new season, but I won't be so expecting too much given the circumstances.

All we can really be thankful for is that we have this new season being animated in the first place.
Jul 14, 2022 2:05 PM
Apr 2021
for first episode is very funny, LOL 🤣. and maybe hataraku maou sama can replace anime this season like Kaguya sama last season

last season with Kaguya-sama, this season with hataraku maou-sama 👌🏻
Jul 14, 2022 2:07 PM
Jun 2020
The slice-of-life animation quality is very good. Let's see the action one.

Good episode, slow but it helps if you don't remember the first season very well.

Possible controversy opinion: I liked the new character design. I thought the first one was too generic and this one has "personality" (it's different from most anime).
Jul 14, 2022 3:01 PM

Dec 2021
The art is very different but you can't expect it to be the same after 9 years. I do think that some designs - particularly Chi-chan - were butchered though. I don't really remember what the general vibe was like in s1 but some of the reactions seemed way more exaggerated now which wasn't great. Other than that it was a good first episode but nothing special.
Jul 14, 2022 3:21 PM

Mar 2020
It was a great episode content wise but man wtf happened to the artstyle?! Its a huge downgrade from the first season even in the op.

nhc9Jul 14, 2022 3:48 PM
Jul 14, 2022 3:28 PM

Feb 2012
Ashiya is forced to teach Urushihara (who's design has changed the least IMO) some housekeeping. If both he and Maou are working, then it is Urushihara who must stay at home.
Was using scientific Latin names for insects a symptom of Urashihara spending too much time on a computer or a sign that they still need to adjust to the human world more? Probably both. Maou notes to Chiho that they have to use a codeword/nickname if they ever see a cockroach at work.
Chiyo's flustered by Maou's hug to protect her, but out of nowhere, Alas Rasmus refers to him as papa and Emi as mama.
Who is the white-haired woman who went inside Satan's former castle? Is she Emi's mother? If I remember from the first season she's like half-angel right? Is she the one who sent Alas Rasmus?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 14, 2022 3:49 PM
Mar 2022
I liked the old art style far better than this one. They did Ashiya dirty with the new art style. Still good, though.
Jul 14, 2022 4:01 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
I’m not one of the people that waited 8-9 years for this, as I watched it last year around when it was announced, but wow this is exciting, seeing something like this get another season after so long is awesome and I loved this first episode! We got a slight recap at the very beginning, but besides that we were thrown right in like it never left, back to the classic hilarity between all the characters from Ente Isla (also Chiho lol), and the classic ost as well.

I’ll say I already love the new art style, got used to it very quickly and the art and animation is also nice, love to see the quality being delivered for this. And I’m surprised we’ve already met the baby in this episode, and definitely reminds me of Celine from “To Love-Ru” super cute, loved the final bit where she pointed out who her parents were lol, Emi’s reaction was hilarious. And lastly the censored cockroach bit was great, it was definitely intense but not actually that serious lol.

But man, once again I really love to see a classic like this return, I’m not sure if it’ll end in this season or not but I’m definitely very excited to see more! And that OP and ED were both instant bangers, loved them both.
Jul 14, 2022 4:06 PM

Jan 2019
I know the new art style is more vibrant, but I feel like the new art and animation just has a lot less personality if that makes sense.

Jul 14, 2022 4:10 PM

Aug 2020
good head start. Even tho i don't remember much from the season 1 because many years have passed since then, I still like the interactions and stuff. It is like watching the daily life of Maou. very enjoyable

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Jul 14, 2022 4:36 PM

Oct 2013
I don't mind as much that the character design is DIFFERENT, i mind its kind of BLAND and bad. I mean seriously, what's with chio's eyes and face overall? Her eyes are also so far apart in some scenes its like that 'i'm cute?' anime meme. Overall kind of low effort too. The character comedic face distortions look like the only times they actually put effort into drawing the faces...
Jul 14, 2022 4:42 PM
Feb 2022
I really liked the first ep
it was funny af
alas "papa wa satan" lol
R4ndomdudeBTWJul 15, 2022 12:18 AM
Jul 14, 2022 4:56 PM

Jan 2020
The show kinda feels different to how I remember it being. Not as funny, and it just feels different.
It'll take some time to get used to the new artstyle.
ShengudJul 14, 2022 5:27 PM
Jul 14, 2022 5:37 PM

Jan 2020
Art is kinda letdown for me but still fun to watch
Jul 14, 2022 5:42 PM
Apr 2022
that épisode was 100% amazing!

it gives me hype for the new upcoming épisodes! cant wait !
Jul 14, 2022 6:40 PM

Aug 2017
I forgot how funny this anime was. Do you think the baby became the way it is due to Emi hitting the apple with her sword while Maou was holding it, or what?

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Jul 14, 2022 6:52 PM

Mar 2021
The new art style is a lot different, but I guess that shouldn't be too surprising. The big difference I don't like is how Maou looks -- he looks a lot younger.

Episode was ok and I am interested in how this whole child thing will play out.
Jul 14, 2022 6:59 PM
Jun 2016
The best way I put it is that it looked like a 2022 anime while feeling like it came out right after that first season back in 2013, and not in a bad way. As someone who read a bit into the novels I’m very excited for the events to come. I’ll admit I’m not crazy on the newer designs but hey man if that’s the price we gotta pay for a second season I’m more than willing to pay it
Jul 14, 2022 7:00 PM

Mar 2020
Great to see everyone again. It's a bit new art style compared to the old. Though i prefer the old one. But nothing we can do about it and it's not that bad.
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Jul 14, 2022 7:17 PM

Jun 2015
Nine years... Can you imagine? One of the earliest works that get me into the whole Japanese entertainment media. With its lighthearted atmosphere, lovely cast of characters, and cracking comedy. They are back. Hataraku Maou-sama is back! 😍

I can't hold my tears. Looking at how both the series and I were from back then, and how it is right now. It invites the feeling of nostalgia. The characters that I very much love then are here once more.

It's all the more unusual because I have always been reluctant to watch any form of adaptation of the work that I have read previously. Why you ask? Because I often disappointed with how the adaptation went in terms of quality compared to how my imagination was when I read the work. And even when I decide to watch it, I can't help but get disappointed whenever the anime omit a certain important details. Moreover if said details lead to controversy within the community.

But fortunately, this isn't the case with Hataraku Maou-sama. Even though the apparent changes are here, such as art and how the voice actors have grown as well leading to slight change to their tone, I still love the series all the same.

Although I'm also disappointed with how the novel went, I'll keep watching the anime sequel for my beloved characters.
Jul 14, 2022 7:42 PM

Jul 2016
Yeah, it will take me a couple of weeks to get used to the new art-style and stuff. The whole cast looks so young and "moe"... and the fact of Chiho having her eyes so far apart lowkey bothers me as well.

The baby reminds me of Eri from Boku no Hero, btw.
Jul 14, 2022 7:52 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
9 long years since the first season. Oh man have I waited for this day to finally come. The original holds a special place in my heart. It was such a phenomenal show.

This episode seems to serve as a reminder of the characters and story, since it's been nearly a decade since season one. Makes sense. But Id be lying if I said the art style and overall generic feel of the show put me off. The original season had style and excellent direction. This seems the opposite. It makes me nervous for this sequel. I really want it to be good.

The idea of a baby joining the cast makes me feel iffy, becuase then there's going to be some awkward moments between Maou and Emi.

Regardless, I'm excited to see what this season has in store. Welcome back Maou!
Jul 14, 2022 8:00 PM

Dec 2021
the waits over. op was good enouf for me. art was pretty decent. its rlly good to see the mcs back. although i cried laufing at the last part of the ep. don wan spoil yall
Jul 14, 2022 8:55 PM

Mar 2016
it feels crazy to wait this long for them to have a CHILD lmfao but it's gonna be a fun ride regardless
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama!! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2022

81 by RGreatDanton »»
May 3, 7:58 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2022

126 by RGreatDanton »»
May 3, 4:19 AM

» Just not as funny as season 1?

AriBWeeb - Aug 11, 2022

24 by wildhood »»
Mar 24, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama!! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2022

75 by Zedz_c »»
Feb 21, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama!! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2022

140 by ST63LTH »»
Feb 9, 2:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.