Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 27, 2021 7:15 AM

Oct 2016
Great episode! I like that when Nagara was about to free those ants, he got sent into ant metaphor world lmao. Another episode where I understand things on the surface level, but have a hard time digging deeper, and that's ok. This show is a novelty, such a unique experience.

My man Rajdhani was going crazy there at the beginning. So Aki was really just a student just like them, but it was the student version of the teacher. Probabilities sucks ass, but at least thanks to Nagara these probabilities can still exist in these worlds? Pretty sad to see everyone go their separate ways despite all the terrible shit that some of them caused. Actually sweet to see Mizuho and Pony become like friends.

So, these are the main 4 characters huh. Nozomi was definitely affected by what she saw, that she was dead. I wonder where her character will go. Really looking forward to the next episode.
Aug 27, 2021 9:10 AM
Jul 2021
Nozomi being an illusionary Manic Pixie Dream Girl that finds out about it is such a good way to flip that trope around.

I'm more and more convinced that the point of the anime is that they're fictional, and the anime will end with a fourth wall break.
Aug 27, 2021 12:46 PM
Jul 2018
I still don't quite get where the fuck this is going in the end. Okayish episode, this "moral" has been overdone at this point but it was still well told.
Aug 27, 2021 8:16 PM

Jun 2019
The fact that this anime hasn’t been crushed by the weight if its own ambitions (and even continues to improve) is really quite impressive. I’ve seen so many ambitious anime, not to mention original anime, that have lost their ways as they went on, so the fact that we are still getting substantive world(s)-building, character development, and poignant themes is quite the treat.
Aug 27, 2021 8:38 PM

Dec 2020
a whole ass campaign on hating nagara but.. thats literally the only thing they can do lol. i mean some of them have been trapped for thousands of years and its common to be trapped for hundreds. not all of them have powers and if they do it's not guaranteed that it'll be a good one, what else can they do besides pinpointing the blame on someone they're not close with?

"nothing more" guy was pretty interesting, i would've loved to have him more in other eps but.. ah.

rajdhani going on his own journey makes me sad, but it does suit him. a Lot. hope we can still see him some other time tho it'll be awful if he just continues to set sail Forever. annnnd asakaze is back !!!! glad he can go out of big booba teachers grasp
Aug 27, 2021 11:36 PM

Jul 2016
No, Raj. Don't go. You're the only likeable character this series has ♥

Overall, probably the episode I liked the most. Mostly because of Nagara finally finding his courage and deciding to move forward towards this goal of creating a new world for everyone.

So... the whole deal with Aki and the chaos she has brought upon these kids just end here?
Aug 28, 2021 6:02 AM

May 2021
So Radjhani has set off an a voyage. That world of building was also interesting. Looking forward to the next episode.
AISHITERU...REM!
Aug 28, 2021 12:20 PM

Nov 2011
Damn I kinda teared up when our Boy Raj left the Island.

I think the only ones who will make it back home will be Nagara and Mizuho. I feel like Nozimi seeing her death will make her reconsider some things and stay in the "Other worlds"

But we will see.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Aug 28, 2021 2:35 PM

Jun 2021
I came to this thread to see if this episode is even worth watching. But if Rajdhani is leaving the show, I'm out. He was carrying this show for me, along with cat girl. I might check to see if he comes back, but otherwise I wouldn't like the show without him.
Aug 28, 2021 3:07 PM
Feb 2021
Okay this episode just felt really different for me. Idk how to explain but it was this calming feeling but also feeling calm at the same time. I got this feeling when Nagara and his new friend were climbing that mountain too look for some stars. The music was so calming and nice and with how softly they were talking while you view this beautiful piece of art. It really made me feel something I’ve never felt before and I’m just gonna say this is without a doubt the anime of the year for me so far, I know it’s not finished but it somewhat reminds me of evangellion.

Obviously this show isn’t finished yet, but this show is so confusing and intriguing. Things are slowly getting more explained to us over time but there’s still so many things that we there is to look forward to and this huge open universe to explore and how there are people who have been stuck here for hundreds if not thousands of years but are from the future. This anime is so unique, the art style is beautiful and the music is amazing. It’s all this one big bag of crazy things that you can’t stop looking at. I love this anime so much and this is truly some of the best work of art I’ve ever seen even if it isn’t finished.
Nayhooo
Aug 28, 2021 6:27 PM

Feb 2020
holy shit so like 90% of the cast is just gone? AND RAJDHANI??? man the infodumps are gonna be dry af
Aug 29, 2021 6:33 AM

Jul 2020
this show is interesting as fuck
Aug 29, 2021 3:52 PM

Jan 2013
i just hope we don't end up with another drifting net café ending.
Aug 30, 2021 1:33 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Looks like Nagara's little journey alone bear a little fruit when he learn something new from that 'kono sekai' upside-down created by those bat-boy. Do not give up, faith in hope, and changed the world by it. Whatever the nonsense, its important. Good.

Though, i am really sad actually seeing all of the classmates really just leaving like that, especially with the indian boy. He seemed to be the only one that worth enough to be followed about his own journey. Guess that he still mad about Nagara dumped off his precious ant experiment and decided to just leaving. Fuck up moment there.

Anyway, for their own good and safety, its better like to be like that, by keeping themself away from each other, rather than getting involved in conflicts among themselves under the same roof. It will be more of a disaster toward the whole drifting world. Like that girl-in-glasses that talked at the beginning, to avoid anymore tragedy. Rip to those cult meeting, tho.

However, left aside that first, and looks like the false accusations of Nagara already over, by locking down all of those cult-castaways-members, yeah big rip. Then also the classmates get cooled off by taking a leave in one time, now the key goes back to those three young souls again. Sonny Boy, and his newly monkey furball item might lead into supposed tobe a better reality world, soon ... or no?
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Aug 30, 2021 12:19 PM

Aug 2018
The "How deeply you believe in nonsense is important. Because if it wasn't we wouldn't have anything. Nothing more." this quote sort of made me think that this show (or at least the episodes set it this world) might have some absurdist or existential themes. Especially since later in the episodes one of the characters said "We must by no means succumb to the absurdity" (but this is probably me over thinking it, but I feel as the first quote might be important later on)
_______I like rocks__
Aug 30, 2021 7:20 PM
Jan 2018
Ok I'm so sad rn seeing Rajdhani going on a jurney ALONE, come on man stay with your friends they need you, WE NEED YOU to explain all quantum physics stuff. Pls stay safe and return on the next episodes.
Aug 31, 2021 1:33 AM
May 2020
putting the blame on a blameless person lol
Aug 31, 2021 4:27 AM
Oct 2018
IM SOOOOO CONFUSED AHHHHHH
Aug 31, 2021 7:25 AM
Feb 2011
Atlos said:
The "How deeply you believe in nonsense is important. Because if it wasn't we wouldn't have anything. Nothing more." this quote sort of made me think that this show (or at least the episodes set it this world) might have some absurdist or existential themes. Especially since later in the episodes one of the characters said "We must by no means succumb to the absurdity" (but this is probably me over thinking it, but I feel as the first quote might be important later on)

+1

Let's see how Nagara tries to find his TRUE purpose, amongst all the absurd rules that try to tie his purpose to elsewhere
Aug 31, 2021 7:48 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Damn. I'm going to miss Rajdhani and scientific expositions.
Sep 1, 2021 8:44 PM

May 2021
I somehow liked the approach of this episode compared to some previous ones. The change of perception and comprehension of the matters of life came again with another sense of revelation, maybe a bit overly exposed if one could say so, but the dialogue hits anyways so there is no negative there. To turns things upside down, one could say haha

Sep 18, 2021 8:29 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Nagara landed on that very weird alternate upside-down world where they all build a tower to access to paradise... it's really sad that Rajdhani is leaving though, and for the main group now Nozomi is kinda hesitant if she doesn't want to die IRL for real in the main world
Sep 18, 2021 10:55 AM

Mar 2010
Hmm odd how things change when the environment is not to ones advantage but we are forced to adapt least be left wondering wtf we are doing, and even so we end up dying lolz, what a episode.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 22, 2021 9:57 AM
May 2016
I now realize one reason I don't like this show: in pursuing the perfect metaphor for an episode's idea, they decided to throw out the surface innerwork/logic of the world. I have rewatched the scene where Nagara turned upside down 3 times and still don't get how he came to the final position. He took 1 step forward to the void, the camera turned upside down, then he seemingly turned back to his standing position facing out of the room instantly; the room got warped with the place he was standing on became part of the ceiling, but the inside of the room where that bat guy was standing stayed the same. Did Dio put Nagara's foot back, cut out the balcony then glued it to the ceiling? Also, the stairs should be upside down as well now, so how did he get out of the room and walk to the bottom?
Then there's the ants' Babel tower. Supposely they ALL (like hundreds of at least 200-year-old people) believe that dogmatic nonsense, fine, but couldn't they see that instead of going up to the sky they were DIGGING into the sky? Why are there dirt in the sky, did no one think of that all this time? And where do they dump all the bricks? The place Nagara got down to has no bricks, did they just disappear?
The more I think of the past episodes, the less sense they make on a "physical" level if you will. If you want to make allegories or metaphors so much you have to bend the world at will and throw out any sense of logic then you're just bad.
Sep 22, 2021 11:47 AM

Oct 2017
Pretty weird episode, not that I disliked it and it did gave Nagara the resolve he needed so nice. Also time for the farewell also came. Many left and it's just a few of them now. Wonder what Nozomi gonna do.
Sep 30, 2021 3:09 AM
Aug 2021
KANLen09 said:
Man...the debate of the This World is really OVER-THE-TOP, condemning Nagara just because he has the superpower to drift to different This worlds. yah right, the judgment will be passed down soon enough from Koumori the Convictor from Beatnik, but it's not his fault in the first place becausse God gave him that power to begin with.

Still far from home and everyone has to make life-or-death measures. From Yamabiko's account, it's a whole other ballpark of a trance for these castaways.

The analogy of Rajdhani making an ant colony, it's funny that Nagara has to set them all free, wasting all his hard work. A twist of another world dhift from turning at the exercise bar, and Nagara lands himself in a Black Company-like corporate shill, the This world that's akin to the underground ant hill in a Babel-like setting.

Nagara's only guide is this dishevelled boy Futatsuboshi who is used to working in this hard life (Cells at Work! Black vibes anyone?), and naming him "Nagata" on his own accounts. There're castaways also, building this tower to Heaven to go back to the outside world...IN REVERSE for time millenia. The umbrella guy host Susugashira being part of Beatnik, an elite dream team of travelling to different worlds. Everyone hates Nagara for dealing them this Drifting Classroom situation, it's not glossed over easily.

To see the shooting stars, Futatsuboshi's excerpt makes sense: "How deeply you believe in nonsense is important. Because if it wasn't we wouldn't have anything. Nothing more." Because it serves as the metaphor for building Babel to reach the Heavens, Futatsuboshi and others are like worker ants wanting to reach outside. But the shooting stars are nothing more than bugs for their meal.

It's great that the others have already begun to work together to figure out how to get out of This world while leaving Nagara behind. The exercise bar makes me think that that is how they think, and contrary to belief, the world is upside down, and Nagara knows it to reach the top and find Koumori, his power to make things upside down into an eternal abyss. Good thing that he cleared Nagara of all the condemnation and LITERALLY turning the decisions upside down. Rajdhani wanting to learn more about the possibility of the many This worlds, it's really time that he set out on his own. He's easily the best character out of the 36, and a great support thus far. May we miss Rajdhani and see him again before the end. Rajdhani gave Nagara a really good name of his power: World Creation.

The guidebook journal to all 36 students' powers from Rajdhani's painstaking record logging efforts with him sailin away into the distance, and what the trio decides to do with it is anyone's guess.

To go home or not, that is the question. Mention Robinson Crusoe on "Adrift", and I think we know where we're going.
Yeah Futsuboshi's and Nagara's friendship can definitely be compared to AA-2153 and AC-1677's friendship.
Sep 30, 2021 3:15 AM
Aug 2021
The comparison of the ant hill with the Babel us a great metaphor for the corporate world. And that worm foodXD

Man, I'll miss Rajdhani. I wonder how the main crew's gonna figure out stuff without him.Let's see how that monkey furball's gonna help. And Nozomi's lost her resolve while Nagara has gained some reslove.
Oct 3, 2021 1:06 PM

Apr 2015
Felt like more of a classic arthouse anime episode compared to the first 6.

Not even sure what I mean by that to be honest, but to paraphrase I think that we had out there aesthetics, out there execution, out there characters and out there plot construction in the first 6 episodes but the latter two(ie characters and plot) are clicking into place at this point; so we are watching a more traditional/simple, more anime-like episode now
Oct 7, 2021 3:02 PM

Jul 2015
Miserable empty existence those fellow students copies are living with their brick carrying, I can see it being comparable to working a joyless office life or something.

Sad to see Rajdhavi leave, at least he gave the never-changing monkey hairball perfectly fitting Nagara with his world-changing ability.

Oct 9, 2021 12:28 AM

May 2010
idk what is going on, but I am on Team Hoshi.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Oct 25, 2021 10:42 PM

Apr 2019
It was very convenient for the script that Nagara couldn't use his power in that world.
The excuses in this anime are shit. It is literally "because God wanted it".
Nov 6, 2021 2:35 PM

Dec 2008
Futatsuboshi and Koumori are the real ones ngl
They're like 80% more likeable than the actual main cast
Dec 11, 2021 7:11 PM
Mar 2021
lol kid nagara sounded exactly like shiji
Dec 21, 2021 11:00 PM

May 2015
Rajdhani went onto find the One Piece lol
Jan 1, 2022 8:24 AM

Feb 2018
The fact that the kiddo was bringing down these rocks for 200 years without knowing why or when would that Babylon version tower was heading, is scary :P
Apr 8, 2022 5:35 PM

Feb 2016
not sure exactly what happened with Hoshi... there was a lot going on back on ep 6 and i guess we reached some sort of resolution for him? but at the same time it looked like he was being set up as a major antagonist back in the beginning. maybe i'll have to go back to that episode
Apr 10, 2022 1:10 PM
Mar 2016
I'm not sure how to feel about this show yet. The beginning felt very slow and boring. It felt almost like it was setting up a Lord of the Flies scenario, which would have been very interesting. It's really difficult for me to remember who all the characters are, and at this point I feel like they're spending a lot of runtime explaining irrelevant things. Which generally leads to world-building, but with all the hopping doesn't seem to matter much at all.

It might be Hulu's subtitles, but I feel like so much important information we've been told so far is very contradictory and makes little sense. For example how they spent an entire episode debating if Nagara could warp back to previous worlds, when he'd already done so in front of everyone many many times. And how star-boy (I hate his character btw) obviously had some power of prognostication the entire time, which was entirely glossed over by everyone else (including his villainous role in the first world). But even more troubling is the knowledge that he actually had this power before the first warp, and that's never been addressed. Not has anyone even talked about their principal supposedly being God. A fact that a Buddhist verified matter-of-factly, and yet no one has discussed at all what that even means. What kind of god? What powers does he have?

Instead of talking about these sorts of things, we had an entire episode talking about a Monkey Baseball league (baseball is so freaking boring to begin with) where the same theme could have been handled much better imo. An episode talking about the blue fire that became completely irrelevant immediately.

Watching this so far really just makes me wish I was watching LAIN, Texhnolyze, or Ergo Proxy tbh. This was probably the best episode so far, and from the beginning I knew ultimately none of it mattered at all. Which is a giant problem. Also, they could have easily cut the runtime by just showing footage of the ant farm after the Tower of Babel world. Someone said the creator chose to forsake inner monologues to let the audience make their own conclusions (a decision I like), but then they ham-fist the theme down your throat like so many other shows do anyway.
May 18, 2022 9:06 PM

Apr 2016
The classic display of how society works, particularly the whole encouragement of trying not to standout, probably the weakest episode so far but not as awful as the one with the monkeys.
Jul 10, 2022 3:08 PM

May 2020
I think one of this show's biggest drawbacks is how it separates all of its themes and ideas into self-contained episode. One week we get an episode about social exclusion, another week we get an episode about work culture, about fair trade, about whatever Sonny Boy's director has on his mind. Better (imo) shows will weave themes throughout all of the episodes and use them to guide the narrative. Their ideas have a payoff instead of becoming irrelevant week by week.
Aug 20, 2022 12:59 PM

Aug 2017
I liked the design for Koumori inspired by Amefurikozou and the sock-on-the-head Beatnik dude haha. So they fipped the world because there was nothing at the "top" and forced everyone to work in order to "give them meaning and hope". Jeez.

Also some nice meta exposition here - the people in these worlds exist thanks to the observer (Nagara) and the same can be applied to the viewer of the anime, an observer themselves (I wonder if blurred scenes have anything to do with this). Reminded me of what Shuji Terayama said about movies, they're only half-complete until the audience interacts with them.
Oct 5, 2022 11:06 PM
Feb 2021
Main Character is a pussy
Oct 22, 2023 7:06 AM

Jun 2022
Loved this incidental they played throughout the episode
Sonny Boy OST - Beacon
mutatedmilkOct 22, 2023 7:10 AM
I don't post on forums that much but hello!!
Nov 27, 2023 4:50 PM

Aug 2023
It was good!, I enjoyed finding more about whatever is happening here.
I think it's great how well this anime pulls off chill, or calm without being bland in Nagara. I've seen so many anime fall into this pitfall of having awfully bland male protagonists, especially in shounen.
I liked the character interactions, and it amused me to see the food. The mysteries and moral questions it presents I still find very interesting. Great so far!
Dec 25, 2023 12:28 AM
May 2023
"we should've done this a lot sooner, then i could have listened to your voice more" who's cutting the onions
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

161 by Zorpanur »»
May 27, 2:44 AM

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

19 by Reelens »»
May 26, 7:09 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2021

143 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2021

157 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jamk_ - Jun 18, 2021

270 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 10:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.