Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 24, 2021 11:48 AM
Sep 2020
Just pEin..ahead..
Luks lyk vr in fr a ride ..༎ຶ‿༎ຶ
And that last 5 mins were just magic..
Apr 24, 2021 11:49 AM
Aug 2016
Bruh that ending! The way it transitioned to the ending credits gave me goosebumps. And the conversation after that was so damn real that I felt it and it hit hard.

Kirshblute/5
Apr 24, 2021 11:57 AM

Mar 2018
First actual good episode so far. That end speech was phenomenal, even if it feels like white guilt-tripping as hell
Apr 24, 2021 11:59 AM
Mar 2020
Kaiseki said:
I was glad to see 86 having fun, and Kurena is kinda cute.

I kinda like the communication between Lena and 86, they even talk about cats, but sadly Lena can only help them through the monitor ...

Is Kirschblute dead?

Yes, she's dead. The Lowe basically obliterated her after she got stuck in the swamp. Also you see how on Luna's monitor that Kirschblute's status goes from "Kirschblute" to "Destroyed" right before the ED
AquifiliaApr 24, 2021 12:03 PM
Apr 24, 2021 12:00 PM

Sep 2019
The post-credits scene was amazing, his words hit really hard. Mirize will have to question her ideals soon. The music at that was absolutely beautiful.
Apr 24, 2021 12:02 PM
Mar 2020
I knew this was going to happen since I read the LN, but ffs I only just realized how much of a difference it is reading about what happens to Kaie and then seeing it animated. The moment I heard Luna shout for Kaie to stop and the Kaie wimpering "I don't want to die," I got goosebumps all over and the hair on my neck just shot up. I was literally crying on the inside, telling Kaie to get the f*ck away from there even though I knew she was dead.
Apr 24, 2021 12:05 PM

Mar 2019
Man, the Sawano drop is enough to watch this anime. Also, the after credits was really great.
Apr 24, 2021 12:07 PM

Dec 2014
I liked the soviet posters on the walls of the 86 base. Even the cyrillic can be read there.
Apr 24, 2021 12:12 PM

May 2018
hell yes... i smell something like aldnoah... smells good brahawh... the ED music transition before the end of episode remind me about A/Z aLIEz.
Apr 24, 2021 12:12 PM

Aug 2020
That's a pretty depressing life they lead there, knowing they could die the next day but can't do anything abkut it.
Apr 24, 2021 12:22 PM
Dec 2020
Ending scene hit hard. Everything was perfect from the voice acting to the animation hell my eyes even got a little watery watching that and I ain’t that much of an emotional person
Apr 24, 2021 12:23 PM

Aug 2007
Besides A1 knocking this adaptation out of the park so far, I'm curious to see how they plan on handling the rest of the season. With the current pacing, I think they can easily clear 6 episodes for this volume (which makes sense as this is arguably the best of the lot).

I'm all for only adapting 4 volumes for both seasons, an actual possibility if they maintain this pace and it does set itself up for a nice sequel bait. The rational part of me thinks 6 volumes is the play, but will there actually be enough episodes to give it the breathing room it needs like volume 1 is getting?

Anyway that's just my pointless rant. Enjoy this ride while it lasts. Waiting for the other shoe to drop as there's no way A1 can maintain this level of quality, but I'm all for being pleasantly surprised.
Apr 24, 2021 12:23 PM
Oct 2020
BlichoBoy said:
Isn't Lena a "veteran" already? Why she got shocked with the rant? If she was giving anti-government speech already. And the day before( who was almost the whole episode), she had a conversation to reflect before going to bed. Who was basically a foreshadowing.

I hope this isn't the reason the Handlers get PTSD, and abandon the unit, because of piece of mind.

That is not the reason the handler get crazy, it's something darker.
Apr 24, 2021 12:26 PM

Mar 2016
This episode was fucking cruel. The first half was showing the 86 squadron playing and goofing around when they're not doing any missions, which is something real life soldiers actually do as well (anyone saying otherwise are basically living under a rock). But you can see the subtle ways where they were pulling the flags out here and there, so even if the 2nd half's turnout was predictable, it was still very well executed and not something cheapened to child's play like many other sci fi shows I've watched out there. This gradual tonal shift was nicely done, imho.

Just the atmosphere of hearing Lena trying in vain to call out to stop the inevitable death of Kaie, the small explosion noise, the static cutting, and then just the uncomfortable silence in the command room while the ED theme is playing. The scene with Theo lashing out at a shocked Lena was rough, too, but he was speaking the truth. She was subconsciously playing in part of the discrimination, and it's not like she's a bad person, she's just initially naive because she's grown up in a comfortable position for most of her life up until this point (sans her early childhood as she mentioned earlier). We IRL are also subjected to this similar situation that Lena is made aware of, whether we want to admit it or not, and it sucks, because most of us just simply don't have the power to change things by ourselves individually. That's the ugly side of sociopolitics and society in general.
I don't blame Theo for lashing out, either. They just lost another comrade....no, a family member to the cruelty of battle. To have to hear Lena, part of the societal group they hate so much, tried to give condolences was just not something they wanna hear, and one of them just lost his temper.
Just a lot of oooof in this episode...
Apr 24, 2021 12:34 PM

Jun 2019
I’m starting to get used to the structure of the episodes now, which makes them more enjoyable. It’s reasonable that one of the 86 lashed out at Lena after one of their members died despite her doing her best to treat them as human beings. The fact that she never asked for their names before is a huge oversight on her part and makes her come across as a hypocrite.
Apr 24, 2021 1:02 PM

Jul 2019
Very well done episode. The interactions are nicely presented.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Apr 24, 2021 1:15 PM

Jun 2014
From the first 20 seconds of the episode you already knew someone was going to die. It was nice to see the 86 just having a regular relaxing day, and I liked how we got that conversation they were having with Lena from their perspective, and then again from Lena's. That's something that I like about this show in general, repeating scenes from different perspectives. I'm sure the tragedy at the end, as others have already mentioned, will be repeated again from the 86's/Kirschblute's perspective next episode (the beginning of this episode already kind of teased that), which will be quite sad to watch (even if I never really got attached to her before her death).
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 24, 2021 1:22 PM

May 2018
- Boring characterisation is boring.
- Edglord "You are such are hypocrite!" monologue is boring.
- Poorly conceived attempt at mood whiplash is boring.

Come on you guys I am here for the action, give me some more!
Apr 24, 2021 1:24 PM
Wings

Apr 2017
I think Lena is being too positive for her own good. A possible trap many of the other handlers have gotten themselves into, and thus drop out.

RIP Kirschblute - even if the title card kinda gives it away. It was sweet to see her perspective on the 86ers and Alba, and how her views aligned and contrasted to Lena's. Similar to what I aforementioned in the above paragraph, I agree with Kirschblute's views on Lena as a virgin, who sees the world "like a young girl who thinks the whole world is made of flowers".

Kirschblute spoke too soon when she said "You should get someone else to take your place before you regret it" though =/

Theo in the post-credits had no filter towards Lena. Even if I don't like the way he went about it, I can empathise with and understand why he acted that way. Lena needed to hear that. Kirschblute took the soft approach towards Lena, and that obviously didn't go according to plan.
LezetApr 24, 2021 1:34 PM
Apr 24, 2021 1:29 PM

Jan 2020
I was waiting for this to happen, I was waiting for someone to snap at her. From the perspective of the Spearhead Squadron, they were just humoring Lena. They saw her attempts at treating them differently and trying to get to know them as pointless, but they didn't say anything until one of them died. Even if what she believes in is truly what she thinks, even if she's not telling lies, she's still not fighting on the battlefield, not experiencing what they have to experience, and most importantly, not losing comrades. And she needed to know that. I really liked that ending scene.

Although Shin seems to be very cold and stoic, I think he understands his comrades the most. I really liked that scene where he freed the seat next to him and he patted on the coach for Kurena to go sit next to him. That act felt kind of apologetic to me, but more than anything showed his caring side. I love how these scenes are being handled.

Overall good episode. Always looking forward to more.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Apr 24, 2021 1:33 PM

Jul 2017
Quite the interesting direction taken from the director and the anime staff with the final few minutes, not showing the battle necessarily but showcasing Lena's emotions as she realizes that Kaie is in deep trouble and due to her lack of awareness, cost Kaie her life. While I would have liked to see the actual battle of how events transpired, and I do feel like the anime did rush to get to that part during the combat itself, it was a unique approach in showcasing the stress that the Handler who clearly cares for the Eighty-Six had to undergo. Particularly when Theo called her out on the bullshit, where people in Lena's position could just go to bed and forget that a life was lost since the 86 aren't even valued as lives, and Lena further realizing how much of a scummy country that she's living in, and how cruel the world really can be. She didn't even have the decency to ask them for their real names when she's trying to treat them like humans, which pissed Theo off, especially when she's trying to give hope towards them that there is a Handler out there who cares for them.

Also the episode showing the perspectives of the 86 humoring Lena, and Lena trying her hardest to communicate equally with the 86 were quite interesting too. Presents the relationships and tensions really well without infodumping necessarily. In that way, this was handled better than even the novels.

It was a great episode overall. Did wish the battle was there but the way they handled the direction for it was quite interesting regardless, while saving work for animators too since they only here had to adapt Lena's mental breakdown due to her mistakes. Best episode so far.
Apr 24, 2021 1:44 PM
Aug 2020
Best new anime airing this season by a long shot
Apr 24, 2021 1:47 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
As soon as I saw that pastoral, relaxing scene of the girls playing around in the lake enjoying life, I knew things would end badly and with someone dying.

This is a pretty good show. I really wish LN readers didn't constantly have to come in and shit on it, just because it doesn't follow the source material a verbatim
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 24, 2021 1:49 PM

Oct 2014
RIP Kirschblute, at least she got her 5 minutes of fame. Lena wasn't very good at keeping an eye out for her. I understand why she got scolded for being privileged yet not good enough to help. If she had more training with the group before going into a real battle maybe this could've been avoided. The guy yelling at her in the after-credits scene was projecting his anger towards the Republic on her. He made a good point--that Lena never asked for their real names.
Apr 24, 2021 1:50 PM

Jan 2021
Damn Lena got roasted at the end ....I'm not sure what member that was, but he is brutally honest
Apr 24, 2021 1:52 PM

Jul 2017
Farabeuf said:
As soon as I saw that pastoral, relaxing scene of the girls playing around in the lake enjoying life, I knew things would end badly and with someone dying.

This is a pretty good show. I really wish LN readers didn't constantly have to come in and shit on it, just because it doesn't follow the source material a verbatim

The irony is that while the scriptwriters are following an unconventional way of adapting it word by word or scene by scene, it's actually been for the better at times. The books while detailed, are way too wordy so in anime form, if they went about it the normal way, it would be really slow and dull to watch. But with taking some shortcuts and changing some approaches while still maintaining the same messages for an anime episode length weekly, this adaptation method has been beneficial, and I'm talking as a LN reader too. I wish the pacing at times could be a bit better like with the battle at the end here, but instead of seeing the battle which was there in the books for Kaie's loss here, seeing the perspective of how Lena as the Handler had to experience loss and a breakdown like this while failing to communicate her real heart with the 86 was an interesting way of adapting the battle while saving time with animating less. Making the most out of nothing.
Apr 24, 2021 1:53 PM

Jul 2017
misprout said:
Damn Lena got roasted at the end ....I'm not sure what member that was, but he is brutally honest

Theo, aka Laughing Fox.
Apr 24, 2021 1:55 PM

Oct 2019
Pretty great
Last minute is insane

As a Ln Reader it's still really good the Pace is fine
Apr 24, 2021 1:57 PM

Jul 2019

It's not censored, they'll probably show it next week from the squadron's perspective. I mean they've been showing two sides separately, it makes sense to put Lena's perspective on a cliffhanger then showing the other side with more detail at the beginning of the next episode. just chill...
Apr 24, 2021 1:59 PM

Mar 2008
Well our princess should have foreseen that. What was she actually expecting?

But damn... Now I am even more curious how people behind the wall are controlled. They are armed and have combat experience. Instead of fighting drones, they could attack the remaining 85 districts. Or maybe this whole Legion is not an experiment or artificial war but ordinary tool of extermination?

Apr 24, 2021 2:03 PM

Apr 2020
I remember the scene in the lake from the novel, it was enjoyable to read

Great ep overall, I liked the pacing
Apr 24, 2021 2:18 PM

May 2018
Ya know there were a lotta things that I'm not getting around here, like

1. What kind of race were those white hired human.

2. Who or what exactly were the 86 fighting.

3. What ever happened to humanity, that they were reduce to being mere livestock for them white hired people to use as their cannon fodder against an enemy we audience have no idea about.

4. And what are the plotice that these white haired people foliow?
Apr 24, 2021 2:26 PM

Mar 2008
After checking the ep. one more time I have to whine a little. If not the beginning of the episode, the fact that Kaie stayed with the Joker card in the end of game. Grim Reaper Joker. That would be much better foreshadowing.

Apr 24, 2021 2:30 PM
May 2008
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
Ya know there were a lotta things that I'm not getting around here, like

1. What kind of race were those white hired human.

2. Who or what exactly were the 86 fighting.

3. What ever happened to humanity, that they were reduce to being mere livestock for them white hired people to use as their cannon fodder against an enemy we audience have no idea about.

4. And what are the plotice that these white haired people foliow?

These were like all adressed in episode 2.

1. They are called Alba, and they are the original pure blooded humans fromt the country San Magnolia

2. They are fighting against the Giad Empire's unmanned drone army, called "The Legion"

3. War happened. San Magnolia's forces were destroyed, most of the country got evacuated into the middle part of the country. They built a wall. Expelled any non-alba people to outside of the wall. Also they revoked their human rights and forced them to fight.

4 I don't understand this question. What is "plotice"? If you mean politic, then nothing special. They think that the war will end in 2 years, so all they need to do is hold out for another 2 years.
Apr 24, 2021 2:38 PM
Oct 2020
alshu said:

Sigh, you again.
You like to ruin everything huh?
Apr 24, 2021 2:40 PM
Mar 2019
Rest In Peace Kirschiblute Kaie
Apr 24, 2021 2:43 PM

Jul 2020
Kurena was really cute when the others were teasing her about Shin.

Jesus, the girls immediately brought out their guns, when Daiya fell over. Definitely not a good idea to peep them bathing lol.
Apr 24, 2021 2:44 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
It was nice seeing the 86 having fun on their downtime, but man things went south when Kirschblute died. Lena needs to learn not to get attached to the 86. They are not here for her sympathy and they do not care because they are going to die at some point in time. I know Lena's heart is trying to do the right thing, but she has not shed a single drop of blood on the battlefield. The 86 are fighting a battle against their own will for almost nine years while the Alba get to hide behind their wall within the 85 districts. Theo ranting at the end of the episode was the wake up call that she needed. I wonder if she would record that rant and share it with her superiors?
Apr 24, 2021 3:00 PM

May 2018
Takao_Bl00driver said:

Sigh, you again.

- You can't expect everyone to like the show the way you do.
- You can't expect everyone who dislikes the show to stay silent.
- Your idea that everyone who express discontent from this show is explicitly doing it to ruin your fun is quite weird.

So please ignore my opinion and continue to enjoy 86!
It's my personal opinion and I don't insist anyone else sharing it.
Apr 24, 2021 3:04 PM
Sep 2017
Takao_Bl00driver said:
alshu said:

Sigh, you again.

>Why don't everything move in the plot that I want, where's muh worldbuilding, where's muh text wall

-After episode 2&3-

>where's muh action

This guy is clearly baiting. Just think that he don't exist. Sad that you have to seek attention within anime fandom.
I-yas-yesApr 24, 2021 3:12 PM
Apr 24, 2021 3:09 PM
Apr 2020
Kamiyan3991 said:
Disappointing as fuck.
Here's the part of LN they FUCKING CENSORED...

Damn dawg how braindead r u💀 they're obviously gonna show their perspective next episode
Apr 24, 2021 3:29 PM

Oct 2020
Glad to see the squad having fun for once. The pond scene was especially nice. Haha, Daiya will be missed. Damn, the end of the episode really hit hard. The soundtrack and the "I don't want to die" was really nice way to emphasize. Kaie didn't deserve to die.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2021 3:42 PM

Nov 2013
Nice episode with some very interesting directing choices, especially near the end. Loved how they rearranged the river scene and made said transition to Kurena storming out on Lena´s session with the 86. Theo´s mood during the convo of Kaye with Lena was also some great foreshadowing to what was to come.

And then the battle with the Legion came at the end. I have to say I liked how they went with Lena´s PoV here (in spite of knowing they will make up for it in the next episode), since this episode wasn´t meant to make us feel sorry for an 86´s (Kaye´s) death, but to deliver the point that Lena´s lofty ideals were naive and her approach to dealing with the 86 was faulty, since she unknowingly never had their trust.

Solid OST and VA during the episode; especially in the end when it comes to Theo´s rant. Was waiting for this scene since the anime aired and I wasn´t disappointed with the result. Now to look forward to Lena´s growth as a character in the upcoming episodes.

Finally, based Daiya in the first half lol.

Apr 24, 2021 3:46 PM

Jun 2017
Welp maybe it's just me but I can't feel sad about the deaths when there is basically no build up. One moment everything is happy rainbows and the next they are dead. I get it's realistic from a war perspective but it's not really working in storytelling.

So they really want to break Lena now...I wonder how that will work out. lol
Apr 24, 2021 4:11 PM

Mar 2016
KaitonPT said:

And then the battle with the Legion came at the end. I have to say I liked how they went with Lena´s PoV here (in spite of knowing they will make up for it in the next episode), since this episode wasn´t meant to make us feel sorry for an 86´s (Kaye´s) death, but to deliver the point that Lena´s lofty ideals were naive and her approach to dealing with the 86 was faulty, since she unknowingly never had their trust.

This is exactly the thought I share. Even when I read the novel, it seemed apparent Asato (the author) did not intend to write Kaie’s scene with the intention to have you drown in tears over her death, but rather she was more interested in the aftermaths. Yeah Kaie’s death was definitely horrible and sad, especially when we see how she gets to die next episode. However, asato was more focused on driving a point home in regards to Lena’s character and her relationship with the spearhead as well as the stark differences in the lives they lead and how they see each other and themselves in the scene of kaie's death. Lena effectively needed that slap.
Apr 24, 2021 4:14 PM
Jul 2018
From the moment Mirizé left me very surprised, I hope that it will be okay with the events.
Apr 24, 2021 4:17 PM

Jan 2016
Poor Daiya

I knew that the last bit was coming but seeing and hearing it as opposed to reading is was arguably more terrifying.

Legit one of my favorit moment of 86 (including all of the novels) is when Theo confronts Lena and drops the "have you even asked for our names?"

Not many people even thought about it but it hit me like a truck when I realized it
Apr 24, 2021 4:34 PM

Mar 2021
Honestly can't blame both parties. Lena might seen from squadron perspective as someone who just like the other alba's with the different not calling them 86. However, Lena herself doesn't appear physically on the frontline so she couldn't know what the rest of the squadron really think and feel. I think this scene is trying to depict just how complicated the relationship is at this kind of situation.

However, it is the only notable scene so far with the first part just show another lighthearted sequence.

Apr 24, 2021 5:14 PM

Aug 2013
Opening this episode with the clear death of Kaie and showing Theo about to lose it gave the rest of it such an incredible sinking feeling of anticipation.

Can't even comment properly on how much I enjoyed this rendition of horny bois peep on girls due to how well the members of Spearhead interact with each other like one big family, nor the rest of the episode's enjoyable characterization because at the back of my head I already know it's all going to evaporate faster than a block of ice in the middle of a desert.

I really loved how sudden that execution was. Just another soldier down the drain. Theo's rant was, while emotional and not completely free of hipocrisy itself, incredibly spot on and much needed. The name thing was bothering me too(though again it goes both ways). I genuinely do think Lena probably knew all of this already but just subconsiously chose to ignore it. Poor thing, that last scene was awfully hard to watch.

Also Shin reads a lot of books about war. How fitting.
Apr 24, 2021 5:14 PM

Oct 2014
3 episodes in. Time to put in my non-LN readers opinion.

Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2021

383 by Apre_Snap7 »»
Yesterday, 8:33 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2021

462 by SantiOtakito »»
May 29, 5:52 AM

» Eighty-Six: The Complete Season avalable for purchase on digital

jorel262 - May 22

2 by IhnalakoKaina »»
May 22, 10:05 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

433 by yuyiyu »»
May 22, 6:47 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2021

243 by lordmisanthrope »»
May 16, 1:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.