Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 19, 2021 11:02 AM

Sep 2018
SakayanagiCOTE said:
MangaZed said:
Wow I really like this series, this episode kinda ruined it, hopefully, the last episode doesn't end with such a bad after taste.

Ruined what and how? This episode showcased amazing development on Tomozaki's part and showed how Aoi was being toxic and controlling. If anything this made the series much better. Don't see how this ruined anything unless you consider character development to be bad.

I thought this story was about Tomozaki becoming a god-tier character in the game of life. With his mentor Aoi who is already a god-tier character.

Now the whole idea of the show is gone.
Edit: Read MechiK1's post.
MangaZedMar 19, 2021 11:12 AM
Mar 19, 2021 11:07 AM

Sep 2018
MenchiK1 said:
Wow I'm so surprised this has gone over everyone's head and they are cheering Tomozaki and calling Aoi a bitch. Really? Rewatch two scenes when the blonde confesses to her on the bench and the end where Tomozaki says he doesn't want to be fake any more.
First the bench scene, Aoi pretends to lower her fake persona but in actuality switches to another fake one. Tomozaki notices this, how? He has seen her real personality. Then she explains her basic life philosophy "I think every normal person puts on an act to some extent so we we have to compromise and find that one person we can be our true selves around" (Tomozaki is her one person she is herself around) Blonde guy even says 'I hope someday I get to see it'. That's why she rejected his confession, he only knows "fake" Aoi and she has only known the "fake" him so no point in starting a "fake" relationship. Remember he just confessed he never dates the girls he puts up his act for even though he could since they all fall for it, he's so good at it.
Now go to the bench, Tomozaki tells her I don't want to be fake anymore, and she asks what he means by that and he can't say. She then says "So you're different too" "Your turn is over the second you let go of the controller." Remember her philosophy, she knows everyone puts up a fake personality. When she first met him remember what he did as she was walking away he let loose on how he really felt, she saw he was the "real" Tomozaki he didn't have a fake facade so she decided to help him play "life" by teaching him how to put up that fake personality everyone else does. That's what was holding him back, he was open and honest but mistakenly assumed EVERYONE else was too. Now he comes to her and tells her basically "I don't want to play any more" "I want to be true to myself" basically go back to how he was. You can just see the disappointment in her face that he hasn't learned anything and now she will lose the one person she could be herself around. When she first met him she wasn't looking for someone to play Tackfam with but "life", her being disappointed with him obviously was all part of her act, remember she's always acting, to see if he was someone she could "play" with (not in a manipulative way but helpful and encouraging), and he (and obviously the viewers here too) don't seem to have gotten that. And also that he's fooling himself if he thinks him being "real" will help him with everyone else still being "fake". Remember all the progress he has made so far has been by putting up a fake persona.
I think Aoi is a fascinating character, you often get those characters who "groom" someone into being their perfect partner but I don't think "groom" was the right word with her. You have to use her analogy of playing a game, she was someone at "expert" level tutoring a "noob" and they were both having fun "playing" and just when she thought he was advancing to the next "level" he shuts it all down and quits. I felt really bad for her. She's bored it's like being a chess grandmaster and only people who can play checkers are your only opponents. She saw the potential in him (because of how he played Tackfam) that maybe he could get to her level in life too. I don't find her cynical at all as far as her view on people putting up an act, I'd say she's right for the most part, and as far as the show every character so far has proven her right too. So I don't see how she can be criticized for doing exactly what everyone else is doing.

Oooh, that's why everyone is so mad, this is what I thought as well. Tomozaki stopping the "Fake Persona" should/will cause him to go back to how he was previously, thus making him a bottom-tier character and the entire show starts all over again.
Mar 19, 2021 11:13 AM

Oct 2020
The penultimate episode! We got to learn more about Takahiro and Aoi. Aoi suppresses her true self to be the perfect girl everyone believes she is and, Takahiro doesn't confront what he truly wants. Aoi decides to put on a mask while Takahiro decides to be true to himself. Happy to see more of Kikuchi and Tomozaki together! The fireworks scene was so cute. Tomozaki tries to be truthful towards Aoi, which results in a lost relationship. Can't wait for the final episode next week!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2021 11:24 AM
Feb 2021
MenchiK1 said:
Hivoldep42 said:

yeah me too, it has gotten to be very interesting, excited for the finale, can someone explain what the last dialogues in the last 20s or so, meant from hinami, and tomozaki,

Wow I'm so surprised this has gone over everyone's head and they are cheering Tomozaki and calling Aoi a bitch. Really? Rewatch two scenes when the blonde confesses to her on the bench and the end where Tomozaki says he doesn't want to be fake any more.
First the bench scene, Aoi pretends to lower her fake persona but in actuality switches to another fake one. Tomozaki notices this, how? He has seen her real personality. Then she explains her basic life philosophy "I think every normal person puts on an act to some extent so we we have to compromise and find that one person we can be our true selves around" (Tomozaki is her one person she is herself around) Blonde guy even says 'I hope someday I get to see it'. That's why she rejected his confession, he only knows "fake" Aoi and she has only known the "fake" him so no point in starting a "fake" relationship. Remember he just confessed he never dates the girls he puts up his act for even though he could since they all fall for it, he's so good at it.
Now go to the bench, Tomozaki tells her I don't want to be fake anymore, and she asks what he means by that and he can't say. She then says "So you're different too" "Your turn is over the second you let go of the controller." Remember her philosophy, she knows everyone puts up a fake personality. When she first met him remember what he did as she was walking away he let loose on how he really felt, she saw he was the "real" Tomozaki he didn't have a fake facade so she decided to help him play "life" by teaching him how to put up that fake personality everyone else does. That's what was holding him back, he was open and honest but mistakenly assumed EVERYONE else was too. Now he comes to her and tells her basically "I don't want to play any more" "I want to be true to myself" basically go back to how he was. You can just see the disappointment in her face that he hasn't learned anything and now she will lose the one person she could be herself around. When she first met him she wasn't looking for someone to play Tackfam with but "life", her being disappointed with him obviously was all part of her act, remember she's always acting, to see if he was someone she could "play" with (not in a manipulative way but helpful and encouraging), and he (and obviously the viewers here too) don't seem to have gotten that. And also that he's fooling himself if he thinks him being "real" will help him with everyone else still being "fake". Remember all the progress he has made so far has been by putting up a fake persona.
I think Aoi is a fascinating character, you often get those characters who "groom" someone into being their perfect partner but I don't think "groom" was the right word with her. You have to use her analogy of playing a game, she was someone at "expert" level tutoring a "noob" and they were both having fun "playing" and just when she thought he was advancing to the next "level" he shuts it all down and quits. I felt really bad for her. She's bored it's like being a chess grandmaster and only people who can play checkers are your only opponents. She saw the potential in him (because of how he played Tackfam) that maybe he could get to her level in life too. I don't find her cynical at all as far as her view on people putting up an act, I'd say she's right for the most part, and as far as the show every character so far has proven her right too. So I don't see how she can be criticized for doing exactly what everyone else is doing.

You're misunderstanding a crucial thing that this series is saying, though.

Mizusawa doesn't LIKE that he puts on a facade, he ADMIRES Tomozaki for being such a genuine person. This series is validating that Tomozaki's worldview that people SHOULD strive to be genuine and not just put on masks. The problem is, Hinami fundamentally disagrees with him on that principle and because she can't accept him not wanting to put on a mask and be genuine with others, and pursue what he wants because he wants it, she decides he is no longer worth her time and throws him away. The other people are showing their discontent with their facades. We saw it with Mimimi, and we're seeing it with Mizusawa. Through their interactions with Tomozaki, they're coming to terms with the fact that being genuine and heartfelt is important, and when Hinami is given that same opportunity she shoves it back in his face and breaks all ties with him, causing him to feel bad simply for trying to be himself and not become another puppet who only sees people as tools without thinking about genuinely connecting to them. That's why people are calling out Hinami, because Tomozaki is showing the flaws in her reasoning, that people want to connect with others in a genuine way like Fuuka does with him, and that it's not wrong to want that, and rather than consider his point of view she automatically deems him a failure and throws him away like trash.
Mar 19, 2021 11:25 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Despite the massive tease (or maybe it’s not just a tease, but a way to show more insight into the character of hinami?) at the beginning, ending the last episode with the tease and then starting this episode with a hard SIKE, this imo is actually the best episode so far thanks to some pretty significant things happening. Our man sure has grown a lot from the sad dude he used to be.

Yay he finally learned that it’s better to be true to his feelings! I’m glad he figured that much out. While it’s simple and obvious, it can actually be hard to do so sometimes, so I get that. Not only did he remove the mask that he was trying to make for himself, making his date so much better (although eat that candy apple already, damn girl), but he also sort of reprimanded hinami just a bit for also having a mask- which she also ended up kind of admitting to having.

Was hinami suddenly taken aback by tomozaki’s sudden change in character, who was starting to find his own way? Is hinami some sort of control freak is used to having things play out in the palm of her hand? Maybe there’s some backstory to her, and she is only merely wanting to help tomozaki escape the same fate that she endured back then, whatever that may be. Idk, what we do know is hinami’s not happy with tomozaki abandoning their planned out road map to becoming a top tier character, and instead being true to his own feelings. Guess that’s what this is really about, feelings vs facade.

How are they gonna pull off ending this season with one episode left when the real development just started lol. How long is this series even, is there enough source material left for a season 2

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 19, 2021 11:28 AM
Feb 2021
BetaMaleUltra said:
How are they gonna pull off ending this season with one episode left when the real development just started lol. How long is this series even, is there enough source material left for a season 2

There are currently 9 Volumes published, and the anime will have gotten through 3 of them. Not including the two bonus content volumes, there is enough material for two more seasons. Volume 3 ends at a pretty good stopping point, and that will be where the season ends.
Mar 19, 2021 11:34 AM

Sep 2020
I think this was a good episode but I was not expecting that end. I thought Hinami would actually be more happy that he was beginning to make his own decisions and basing his actions on what he thought was right. Did she really have to tell him to give the bag back though just because he isn't gonna use her goals now? The bag can have more uses than that but oh well.

I personally hope that they make up with each other and go back to normal, minus the irrational goals.
Mar 19, 2021 11:58 AM
Jul 2020
Screamed at my phone at the start of the episode at Tomozakis missed chance. As the episode went on later I grew more with Tomozaki however my connection to Aoi fell. She seems really fake and misguided and has this whole toxic aura around her in this episode. Great to see the mask wearing away and the true personality of all the characters coming to show.
Mar 19, 2021 12:19 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Well, the first one whose avoid that kiss was Tomozaki-kun, kinda related to that scene as how abrupt that shit was in the first place. So ofc Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun won't let himself get toyed out easily like that. Rip. Its also creeped deep in to the next section, where they still had an overnight conversation. Then, someone's coming, messing up the flawless steam between them. Good job, bruh!

Its a huge mess. Tomozaki-kun slowly revised his way of thinking against those maste of game of life. His character development got an instant boost,- but poor Fuuka, tho, ffs-. Well, the master herself, still held very tough to her pride mask. Even until the last moment (damn, she even attended the same event only to creeped them out? What a dedication), they still couldn't let that feeling out, like, damn! Aoi Hinami played that out perfectly and Tomozaki-kun feel down about that easily.

I guess its 2-0 for Aoi, even though, maybe, she didn't predict the outcome to be pretty fast like that. Sigh. What a complicated woman. I am supporting your decision there, bruh. Who cares your bottom-tier status! So, yeah, Whatever shit within them happened like a roller-coaster, i am still wondering what they do in the last episode next week. Lets see....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Mar 19, 2021 12:27 PM
Dec 2017
Best episode so far, I think there was enough foreshadowing about the conflict between Tomozaki and Aoi's views so it's good to see that it's going somewhere.
Mar 19, 2021 12:39 PM
May 2020
MangaZed said:
MenchiK1 said:

Oooh, that's why everyone is so mad, this is what I thought as well. Tomozaki stopping the "Fake Persona" should/will cause him to go back to how he was previously, thus making him a bottom-tier character and the entire show starts all over again.

Tbh tomozaki doesn't suit having a fake persona, you could see from his first date with fuuka and other situations that it isn't comfortable for him. And if you think that him removing the persona would make him start over, that makes no sense. He enjoys interacting with people now, he just doesn't want to do stuff like get with fuuka because aoi said so; that's completely different to becoming a bum again like ep 1.

Aoi has been really good for tomozaki and he definitely needed to change, but this episode really makes you realise that aoi isn't actually doing this for tomozaki's sake. Idk why she's doing it but that will probably be answered either next episode or next season (hopefully)

Just to say, I don't dislike aoi's character at all, rather it's the opposite, she's literally the most interesting romance anime character I've seen in a while. And I also don't think aoi is controlling or a psycho, you can tell that she's definitely gone through something that's made her close her shell to everyone. If I'm guessing it's probably traumatic, because I know how easy it is to create a fake persona when you have multiple internal problems in your life.
Mar 19, 2021 12:46 PM

Nov 2018
This episode had a huge plot twist.

I wasn't really sure how to feel about Aoi when she was using a mask when talking with Mizusawa, but after that dialogue on the end, it seems like she is the one who needs help, not Tomozaki.

I'm hyped for the next episode, this anime turned out to be better than I thought.

SEIBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mar 19, 2021 12:54 PM
Aug 2012
I feel like people are jumping the gun in calling Aoi a bitch or a psychopath; she just has a different way of thinking and living her life, and it's served her well for the most part. She finally finds someone that she thought she made a connection with, only to have him rebuke her. Her way of life is certainly flawed, and Tomozaki isn't wrong to call that out, but it's not as clear cut as some of you are making it out to be.
Mar 19, 2021 12:58 PM

Apr 2018
Damn that was a good ep. That ending really hit hard though seeing Tomozaki realize that his view of people has changed.

I'm glad they had that firework episode, Kikuchi was so cute in that yukata.

This series was really slow in the beginning but it got way better.
Mar 19, 2021 1:10 PM

May 2018

So, this is the part where Tomozaki wants to be more like himself rather that being what Aoi wants him to do, which is nice, but Aoi doesn't seem to take it lightly and breaks up the partnership.

Mar 19, 2021 1:41 PM
Mar 2021
Did anybody else notice that the ending track is different than it has been in the other episodes so far?
Mar 19, 2021 1:42 PM
May 2017
This is Oregairu level of character development and definitely needs more seasons
Mar 19, 2021 1:55 PM

Jul 2015
Man, the final few minutes of this episode was like catharsis. Make no mistake, Aoi is interesting, but she's not supposed to be likable. Seeing Tomozaki call her out like that was pretty great. He's grown on me.
Mar 19, 2021 2:06 PM

Dec 2013
Criticiza said:
One of the better episodes on the whole, with the student surpassing the teacher. Real question is how the heck did kikuchi not eat her candy apple she bought in the evening until the firework show? Like does this girl not eat or something?

Noticed that too. But since she seemed to really want that apple, I just assumed that was a second ameringo. Of course if the studio had animated it with at least a few bites on the fireworks scene it wouldn't feel so strange and wouldn't need explanations on the viewers's ends.
If an otaku in Springfield sees the "Moe's Bar" sign, wouldn't he mistake it for a Maid Café?
Mar 19, 2021 2:15 PM

Jul 2019
I forgot to pay my respects, this episode was great man. I loved it quite a bit. I was really hoping that Tomozaki and Fuuka would get together but my guy made the right decision, it felt so off to just date someone just because someone tells you to.

I think this cycles back to the beginning, which may show how Tomozaki is always a better player than Hinami, in that he can understand situations and what to do.

----
Rytakahashi09 said:
This is Oregairu level of character development and definitely needs more seasons
was thinking Oregairu too lol
Mar 19, 2021 2:33 PM

Oct 2008
When a bottom tier series winds up getting a little better.
Mar 19, 2021 3:19 PM
Jun 2020
Wow... this series has come a long way. It's gotten a lot deeper and Tomozki is actually using his head instead of mindlessly following Hinami. The first few episodes definetly put people off due to them being a bit cringy but I'm glad I stuck around so long because this was the best episode by far. I really love Kikuchi as well!
Mar 19, 2021 3:22 PM

Sep 2007
Damn Tomozaki. I applaud you for deciding not to follow Hinami's script anymore.
I don't think you're a bottom-tier character for doing that. But if you still think you are, it's better to be that rather than be "controlled by Hinami" for the rest of your days.

Loved the analogies they used in this ep. especially as Mizusawa put it: Hinami totally is like the "player" controlling a "character" (in this case Tomozaki" ....shaping how he acted etc.)
Will Hinami ever really stop being a "player"

I admit though I totally forgot about that button pin Tomozaki got her so when she returned it to him I was like "Whaaaa she actually carried it around with her??" I dunno what to think about that...
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Mar 19, 2021 3:30 PM
Nov 2019
Finally Tomozaki is understanding what it means to be real instead of go through life scripted.What is the point in not being yourself there is no point in living in a fake reality if it's not what you truly desire.Best episode so far especially with it messaging.(Be yourself instead of being someone you are not)
Mar 19, 2021 3:56 PM

Sep 2011
Tomozaki went from zero to hero and I respect that.

Aoi kind of a bitch at the end unsurprisingly.
Mar 19, 2021 4:03 PM

Apr 2015
Honestly was expecting Hinami to blow at Tomozaki, just like she did to Mimimi when she was fooling around. If Tomozaki had done that instead to Hinami, I would have bowed and applaud him. Sadly this wasn't the case.

Finally Tomozaki has woken up from what Hinami was putting him through and he's totally right. Hinami was giving him goals and challenges, without even considering the feelings of the parties involved. I would personally hate it if someone would come up to me, say they like me, while it was set up by someone else to do so. I am glad Tomozaki realised that in time without hurting Kikuchi's feelings. That could have been really messy.

Well, Hinami didn't take that lightly, she seemed properly upset. Can I blame her? Nah, not really, it was bound to happen. Now I am curious where this will end. Are they gonna "make up" before the end credits or not...
Mar 19, 2021 4:31 PM
Aug 2018
Finally a fucking good episode. I could have stopped at the 1st episode and nothing would matter, all this game talk had gotten to an annoying point. I get he likes games and all but he literally managed to complete the tasks sometimes because they talked about games...
i still think this is not how you teach a person that's a shut-in into becoming someone in life. Hope this cliffhanger isn't destroyed at the finale.
Mar 19, 2021 4:42 PM

Jul 2014
Well that was really interesting. My impression is that Hinami puts on a mask because (she believes) it's impossible for her to be successful with social relations otherwise. So she seemed somewhat bothered that Tomozaki found some success by just being himself. And that's basically how everything works with Kikuchi.

It's interesting the strawman Hinami brought as if he were giving up just because he was questioning if the only way of putting effort was by putting a mask on, while the effort of the main character has always been on changing himself.

So, I think, in the end Hinami has more issues than our MC. MC has confidence issues, but Hinami also has them, and they're on an entire new level.
Mar 19, 2021 4:58 PM
Aug 2016
Anyone know what Mizusawa meant when he said “How long are you going to stay on that side?” To Hinami?
Mar 19, 2021 5:01 PM

Dec 2020
I really hate Aoi, she is annoying irritating eyesore manipulative and lastly a bitch. but I am sure she is more complex than that and I really wanna see it from her point of view, I assume she has a very dark past or something like that so I really hope we get a second season to get more insight into it.
Mar 19, 2021 5:05 PM

Dec 2020
CDuchess said:
Anyone know what Mizusawa meant when he said “How long are you going to stay on that side?” To Hinami?

it sounded to me like he knows that her life is just a fake act (?) and maybe something related to her past.
Mar 19, 2021 5:15 PM

Jan 2016
As someone who had been talking with my friend about Hinami being a literal sociopath for this entire anime, seeing Tomozaki actually call her out for this was truly great. This was my favorite episode just because he finally woke up and addressed how fucked up treating relationships like this as tasks is.
Mar 19, 2021 5:16 PM

Jan 2016
k0rvus said:
As someone who had been talking with my friend about Hinami being a literal sociopath for this entire anime, seeing Tomozaki actually call her out for this was truly great. This was my favorite episode just because he finally woke up and addressed how fucked up treating relationships like this as tasks is.
However, I have a strong feeling he will go back on what he said next episode even though it is perfectly true...
Mar 19, 2021 5:44 PM
May 2020
And finally after all this time, Tomozaki finally becomes a chad. That's a GG for you, low tier character. Though, probably, it was counted as a rage quit. Welp, what's bad from replaying a game?
PlayayMar 19, 2021 5:47 PM
Mar 19, 2021 6:23 PM
Aug 2020
This episode made me understand why people were comparing it to Oregairu
Mar 19, 2021 6:26 PM
Dec 2015
Baakka1602 said:
Very good episode it addressed all the problems I had when I first started like hinamis method of "developing your character".
I mean hinami just assumed that kikuchi was a cute girl so tomozaki would like to have her as his girlfriend (no grudge against kikuchi she's kawaii at) and telling him to confess like some sort of checklist at the end of the day.
Now the student has truly surpassed the teacher and since the beginning my go to ending was a scenario where tomozaki helps out Aoi.
It's not that I don't like Aoi she's pretty Decent even more so now because of her complex and interesting personality.
But mimimi best girl of the show imo

Mimimi is definitely best girl.
Mar 19, 2021 6:30 PM
Dec 2015
ERROR-88 said:
Hinami was being kind of a bitch ngl. Not only did she break their relationship, but she also asked my mans to return the bag lmao.

Props to Tomozaki for realizing that he wasn't being himself if he kept following her orders. Initially, I like her idea of using these tasks as a way to self-improve, but after seeing him follow her orders during his date with Fuuka, it felt... kinda off.

Now I'm really curious as to what made Hinami this way, she must've gone through some serious shit, is what I'm assuming...

the bag😩😩😩
Hinami has Daddy Bowser issues
Mar 19, 2021 6:31 PM
Sep 2017
Does anyone know the song during the fireworks?
Mar 19, 2021 6:33 PM
Dec 2015
spectrojan said:
Fucking finally, I was waiting for the episode Tomozaki has his realization. Best episode yet, I HOPE we have a second season soon or I might just read the source material. MAL rating still pretty low though, this shit better than SNAFU imo

i really like this show but come on pal, better than SNAFU???? THE SNAFU????? don't ever disrespect 8Man like that again
Mar 19, 2021 6:34 PM
May 2016
MugenNoShirayuki said:
MenchiK1 said:

Mizusawa doesn't LIKE that he puts on a facade, he ADMIRES Tomozaki for being such a genuine person. This series is validating that Tomozaki's worldview that people SHOULD strive to be genuine and not just put on masks. The problem is, Hinami fundamentally disagrees with him on that principle and because she can't accept him not wanting to put on a mask and be genuine with others, and pursue what he wants because he wants it, she decides he is no longer worth her time and throws him away. The other people are showing their discontent with their facades. We saw it with Mimimi, and we're seeing it with Mizusawa. Through their interactions with Tomozaki, they're coming to terms with the fact that being genuine and heartfelt is important, and when Hinami is given that same opportunity she shoves it back in his face and breaks all ties with him, causing him to feel bad simply for trying to be himself and not become another puppet who only sees people as tools without thinking about genuinely connecting to them. That's why people are calling out Hinami, because Tomozaki is showing the flaws in her reasoning, that people want to connect with others in a genuine way like Fuuka does with him, and that it's not wrong to want that, and rather than consider his point of view she automatically deems him a failure and throws him away like trash.

Couldn't disagree more. Of course Mizusawa doesn't like his fake persona, he created it to pick up girls and he's so good at it he's bored because it's too easy. That's why he was attracted to Aoi, she's the only one who doesn't fall for it, that's why she rejected him. He doesn't like the "real" her he doesn't even know the real her she's always been her "fake" self around him even when she pretended to drop it. He improved himself to a certain level then stopped and now he's bored because the "game" is too easy, Aoi is just a challenge he hasn't had in a while and she knows it. She's not attracted to people who aren't continually challenging themselves.
I don't think it's validating Tomozaki at all, did you already forget the whole MImimi thing with the short girl, it was Aoi who was the one who saw what was really going on and helped them. It's Aoi trying to hook these two up on this trip because they can't admit they like each other. No one can get past their facade without Aoi's help, including Tomozaki. His brooding cynical facade at the beginning, as we've seen since, wasn't the real him, and who is the only one who saw that? Aoi. You claim people are coming to terms with being genuine because of Tomozaki? Uhh no Tomozaki is only interacting with these people because of Aoi and Mimimi is still putting on her playful, happy facade even though she isn't really happy. We saw the genuine Mimimi, she failed and went back to her fake persona.
As for Fuuka we still don't know much about her other than Tomozaki isn't really into her. Watch what he says about talking to her again, yes she found it easier to talk to him but he had to admit there was more awkward silence, it was stilted and clumsy and "It didn't go so well". And he admits what Mizusawa said got to him. She then tries to explain don't be misled by some thing that doesn't exist like "what I really want" and not being able to move forward. She tells him don't fall for it "what I really want" is actually 'what's best for me AT THE MOMENT' and will distract him from ever doing anything really productive. Then she calls him out and he can't explain what he really even means, and tells him abandoning his goals means he's abandoning his personal development. "You've given up on progress" "Your turn is over the second you let go of the controller" Aoi thought she found someone who wanted to make something of themselves, like she does, he just basically told her he doesn't. He has become Mizusawa, someone who stopped progressing.
Tackfam is a metaphor for what's going on, Aoi was lying when she first met him and said she was disappointed. She wasn't she saw someone like her who made plans, set goals and made himself better until he was the best at Tackfam like she did at "life" so she knew with her translating the rules and helping to set the goals to get better he could reach her "level". But now right after getting above "noob" he's basically saying 'this is good enough no reason to go any further' (I can talk to Fuuka easy, game over that will work on everybody else won't it? She knows he will just become bored like Mizusawa is now). She's crushed, all that work for nothing and realizing she was wrong about him. It's no fun being at a master level in a game and having no one else at your skill level to play with.
MenchiK1Mar 19, 2021 6:44 PM
Mar 19, 2021 6:35 PM
Aug 2020
MangaZed said:
MenchiK1 said:

I thought all along though, that the reason why Tomozaki was that way, because he had given up on "life" and was also suffering from low self-esteem and low self-confidence issues and not paticularly because of his truthfulness and honesty
Mar 19, 2021 6:44 PM
Jul 2018
I've gone through similar experiences as Tomozaki to the point it took me until this episode to realise that Aoi does not care, and that's really sad. Even just her asking him to return the bag was... upsetting. Regardless, I really liked this episode because it finally went through something I've gone through – manipulative "friends" and realising that actually, faking relationships sucks.

I hope that Aoi somehow redeems herself, not that it excuses that seriously toxic behaviour but the character growth of Tomozaki was cool. I personally found that him calling her out on it was far more confident than any of the previous episodes.
Mar 19, 2021 6:57 PM
Feb 2021
MenchiK1 said:
MugenNoShirayuki said:

Couldn't disagree more. Of course Mizusawa doesn't like his fake persona, he created it to pick up girls and he's so good at it he's bored because it's too easy. That's why he was attracted to Aoi, she's the only one who doesn't fall for it, that's why she rejected him. He doesn't like the "real" her he doesn't even know the real her she's always been her "fake" self around him even when she pretended to drop it. He improved himself to a certain level then stopped and now he's bored because the "game" is too easy, Aoi is just a challenge he hasn't had in a while and she knows it. She's not attracted to people who aren't continually challenging themselves.
I don't think it's validating Tomozaki at all, did you already forget the whole MImimi thing with the short girl, it was Aoi who was the one who saw what was really going on and helped them. It's Aoi trying to hook these two up on this trip because they can't admit they like each other. No one can get past their facade without Aoi's help, including Tomozaki. His brooding cynical facade at the beginning, as we've seen since, wasn't the real him, and who is the only one who saw that? Aoi. You claim people are coming to terms with being genuine because of Tomozaki? Uhh no Tomozaki is only interacting with these people because of Aoi and Mimimi is still putting on her playful, happy facade even though she isn't really happy. We saw the genuine Mimimi, she failed and went back to her fake persona.
As for Fuuka we still don't know much about her other than Tomozaki isn't really into her. Watch what he says about talking to her again, yes she found it easier to talk to him but he had to admit there was more awkward silence, it was stilted and clumsy and "It didn't go so well". And he admits what Mizusawa said got to him. She then tries to explain don't be misled by some thing that doesn't exist like "what I really want" and not being able to move forward. She tells him don't fall for it "what I really want" is actually 'what's best for me AT THE MOMENT' and will distract him from ever doing anything really productive. Then she calls him out and he can't explain what he really even means, and tells him abandoning his goals means he's abandoning his personal development. "You've given up on progress" "Your turn is over the second you let go of the controller" Aoi thought she found someone who wanted to make something of themselves, like she does, he just basically told her he doesn't. He has become Mizusawa, someone who stopped progressing.
Tackfam is a metaphor for what's going on, Aoi was lying when she first met him and said she was disappointed. She wasn't she saw someone like her who made plans, set goals and made himself better until he was the best at Tackfam like she did at "life" so she knew with her translating the rules and helping to set the goals to get better he could reach her "level". But now right after getting above "noob" he's basically saying 'this is good enough no reason to go any further' (I can talk to Fuuka easy, game over that will work on everybody else won't it? She knows he will just become bored like Mizusawa is now). She's crushed, all that work for nothing and realizing she was wrong about him. It's no fun being at a master level in a game and having no one else at your skill level to play with.

Okay, there's a lot here I was prepared to unpack, but the minute you said that Tomozaki "isn't into" Fuuka I decided not to bother because it became clear you aren't watching what's on the screen, just absorbing and twisting the things that validate your own preconceptions.

Tomozaki does like Fuuka. You can tell, because he shows genuine joy just being in her presence, and the prospect of going on a second date with her in episode 9 made him excited. Read the LNs. It's a lot more clear what his position is on everything.
Mar 19, 2021 7:01 PM

Feb 2020
This show deserves more attention, I mean, much more, Tomozaki's development was amazing, I really didn't expect to like this anime so much, I was thinking it would be just another boring RomCom.

I hope a S2 comes in the future, definively my top 3 of the season

Just a random guy who likes random stuff (ᐛ)و
Also, nice to meet you ;)
Mar 19, 2021 7:26 PM

Jan 2011
it's very rare for me to cheer on character not to say the line! and he didn't at least not by following a script.

turns out he finally realize how all this treating people for personal goals as a game is kinda messed up

this was a much needed call out Tomozaki just wanted to meet at a middle ground and go work from there but despite how cold and tilted Aoi sounded she ended up being quite childish hopefully they can work it out and go about it in a better way because it'd be a shame to end on a bad note with Aoi being unredeemed shes got a lot of layers but i just want to know who hurt you to end up this way?! D:

she really asked for the bag back like god damn NOT THE BAG
Mar 19, 2021 7:35 PM
May 2016
MugenNoShirayuki said:
MenchiK1 said:

Okay, there's a lot here I was prepared to unpack, but the minute you said that Tomozaki "isn't into" Fuuka I decided not to bother because it became clear you aren't watching what's on the screen, just absorbing and twisting the things that validate your own preconceptions.

Tomozaki does like Fuuka. You can tell, because he shows genuine joy just being in her presence, and the prospect of going on a second date with her in episode 9 made him excited. Read the LNs. It's a lot more clear what his position is on everything.

I saw him have a chance to confess to her and passed. It's obvious he "likes" her just that he doesn't "like, like" her. I'm not here to discuss the LN's just the anime.
Mar 19, 2021 7:47 PM

Oct 2012
Oh, man, felt like break-up. This is what actually happens when INFP and INTP's opinions clashes toghether. And from now on, he will have it tough fitting back into the group when she don't talk to him anymore. If anything, two of them together would be very weird from now on.

But he did the right thing, no matter what he think. If anyone is in denial (and not having fun) it's her, and in her closing monologue she was mostly talking about herself. She really find a fun in doing student-tutor thing with Tomazaki, she just hasn't realized that yet.

So don't tell be she wouldn't be shock from conversation like that too - seeing only her back on the train was pretty telling, though I don't think she would be crying over it. Quite contrary, she would he pretending like nothing happened, ignoring him along the way. He will probably get jealous, and it would be him who would be emotionally destroyed not her.

The question is, was she just playing with him or not? If the first hint of disagreement between them ends like this, it's really telling they didn't have equal relationship from the start. And you really don't want a girl who gets offended everytime things are not going as she wishes.

Cause the real truth here is the girls only like guys who can lead the way for them.

Anyway, it would be also interesting to see things from her perspective as she felt probably betrayed by his words and she is definitely using her mask to prevent being hurt but as we know nothing about her past so that's easier said than done.
Mar 19, 2021 7:48 PM
Dec 2018
This episode was truly amazing. If the rest of the episodes had been of similar quality, this show could've been a 10/10. Seriously, the amount of plot, character development, character design, figurative language, and hidden plot points in just this one episode shatters expectations. I remember many people complained in the first few episodes how Aoi was just forcing Tomozaki to do things he might not even agree with, and now we get to see the repercussions of Aoi's actions. It's a shame that the next episode is the last, and considering this is most likely a one-off season (aka to sell LN's) I wonder how they will attempt to at least wrap up the current story. I have the feeling next episode will be even better, but amazing stuff. Will definitely begin to read the LN after that one.
Mar 19, 2021 8:06 PM

Oct 2014
Good episode. The moment Tomozaki realizes he's not a "bottom tier character", rather, that he's just a person is what I've been waiting for all season.
Mar 19, 2021 8:32 PM
Feb 2021
MenchiK1 said:

I saw him have a chance to confess to her and passed. It's obvious he "likes" her just that he doesn't "like, like" her. I'm not here to discuss the LN's just the anime.

Then you missed the entire point of that scene. The point was that Tomozaki wasn't certain about how he felt at that time. He wasn't sure if he would be telling Fuuka he liked her because that was what he honestly believed, or because that was what Aoi was telling him to do. This isn't some sappy romcom where you know you're in love immediately. He likes Fuuka. A lot. Does he know whether or not he's ready to seriously confess to her? No, they've been on two dates. Of course he's not going to tell her he likes her that way unless he is 100% sure that he does, which thanks to Aoi basically forcing him to do it he can't be.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2021

181 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 4, 3:37 PM

Poll: » Which is your favorite ship?

TheCryBabyHero - Nov 22, 2023

16 by Nathan_Murphy »»
May 2, 3:13 AM

» Anyone else disappointed on whom does tomozaki date? (LN SPOILERS)

Elma_fer - Mar 20, 2021

23 by Mikhail0703 »»
Mar 28, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jan 15, 2021

124 by SaulN9903 »»
Mar 9, 9:41 PM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2021

123 by Komlan_6 »»
Feb 25, 7:12 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.