Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 21, 2019 12:10 PM
Nov 2016
I love that the rest of the family are getting their best lines in especially Lizabeth.
Battle the night and day away and protect what is precious.
Thank you for making me believe that something like this can happen since it seems like us Americans are gonna be against this and I'll just be all like homeless and standing up to them somehow.
My gooodness I am losing my mind now since I am in a forum of this capacity.
Let's do this!
Dec 21, 2019 12:19 PM

Sep 2015
Damn that speech at the end was powerful, very nearly brought a tear to the eye.

Also, most of what was said can quite easily be applied to modern day gamers.

5/5, an impressive build-up episode to what should be a spectacular finale.
Dec 21, 2019 12:21 PM

Sep 2013
biswa290701 said:
Caltsio said:
Wasn't AmuSphere suppose to be able to automatically logging out the user if it's detect something's wrong with the user's body (increased heart rate for example)? It was explained at the GGO arc and that's why Kirito told Sinon to stay calm etc.

I mean with a suppose to be an extraordinary pain your heart rate most likely to increase (i use google translate for this, sorry if it's confusing) which mean you're suppose to be automatically got logged out by the AmuSphere safety protocol right?

Or is it for plot sake they change it like that?

I think that's because it's not a game and just a simulation. And if you're willingly entering a simulation run by a company, the amusphere will lose its functioning and the company that the simulation runs will hold the ultimate power and since it has rules that a person has to die to log out, that's it.

Just like how some programs are superior which suppress the inferior programs. Here the rath program is more superior than the amusphere program.

In short, it's for the plot's sake AmuSphere lost it's safety function unless they explain it later on. And also i just read about the AmuSphere in the wiki and it says that AmuSphere doesn't have an internal battery like it's predecessor (NerveGear) so user still can be forcefully log out because it's hardware limitation (no power = can't connect/go online) unless it's became like SAO all over again (you got disconnected = die)

I hope it's just Yui's guess though or is it like that in the LN as well? Need an enlightenment from the LN reader about this if it's possible.

Edit: It's amazing that no one notice about this so far (even in the Reddit discussion last time i checked). I mean it's quite a big thing in my opinion. Or maybe it's just me because i like something detailed. 😂
CaltsioDec 21, 2019 12:27 PM
"... Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."
Dec 21, 2019 12:23 PM

Feb 2013
Caltsio said:
Wasn't AmuSphere suppose to be able to automatically logging out the user if it's detect something's wrong with the user's body (increased heart rate for example)? It was explained at the GGO arc and that's why Kirito told Sinon to stay calm etc.

I mean with a suppose to be an extraordinary pain your heart rate most likely to increase (i use google translate for this, sorry if it's confusing) which mean you're suppose to be automatically got logged out by the AmuSphere safety protocol right?

All of those sensations aren't on the reality but into the underworld. You're only feeling that into there, not into your real body. There's no pain absorver into Underworld unlike any VRMMO game, so there's nothing about Amusphere that can protect, because not even SAO had real pain when it happened and the Amusphere was made to be a safe measure against what happened there. But, the Amusphere wasn't made to have protection against the uniqueness of the underworld.

Also, another thing is the difference of STL and Amusphere. Rath Dive Machine STL allows you to sync with the Underworld directly. Basically, your brain is translated into a Fluctlight so that it could experience things just as the Fluctlights in the Underworld do.

This means that things like the time acceleration and that System Call Generation system are usable by those in the STL. Normal VR Dive machines can't do this.

Also, they would not experience the massive desync issues when the Underworld is accelerated. That's why this episode was also partly focused on having the Underworld and the Real World's time be on sync. Any deviation from the normal time would introduce massive lag to non-STL dive machines and would eject their users once the time starts accelerating.

Yautja said:
Lelouch0202 said:
Good episode but I think I've mentioned it before, they just seem to be ignoring all real world implications in favor of making the plot seem more serious with higher stakes.

First of all, the biggest issue I have with this entire scenario is that, no military network is this unprotected, it's already pretty bullshit that the opposing soldiers were able to just walk in and access accounts like it was nothing. To add on to this, how am I expected to believe that they are just able to expose things on a private not to mention isolated military network to the public so easily? We don't even have to talk about all the issues with server infrastructure and even latency for cross continent play, not to mention the fact that this was probably a locally run simulation that should technically not be accessible to anyone outside the local network.
Where are the public gonna get the fluctlight machines unless for some reason, it's 'just compatible' with nerve gear now?

The whole Data Conversion thing was also overly plot convenient, the data is probably backed up. No one is gonna lose anything in relation to data, the only real stake they had there was about having no pain suppression. The whole thing was just for Liz to make the big emotional speech, don't get me wrong, it was great but thinking about it, she was making a big deal of a 'problem' that isn't really a 'problem'.

The real world sequences have always been the weakest aspects of the story in this season, I doubt there's anything that can be done about it at this point though. I enjoy this show but the non-underworld stuff always makes me bat an eye.

+1 to pretty much all of this. Most of the emotionally charged stuff this episode made me scoff or cringe, be it Liz's speech or the Champion's whinging. These are the kinds of things I'd laugh hysterically at if I listened to them in person. The stakes aren't realistic or well done enough to make such speeches viable. They're forced as all hell. Especially with these cliche nay sayers spouting out their unironic garbage of "you think you're better than us".

I can't say I'm privvy to the security measures of any government or military based network, and yea, all kinds of governments have had embarrassing security breaches, but I highly, highly doubt a closed network like this could be so fragrantly abused, especially when the staff are aware it's happening. Putting aside the account creation / access, normal people connecting, even with the proper accounts, seems like absolute bullshit. Hell, I know of grocery stores that require their employees to use custom VPNs to login, in tandem with their account credentials. Somehow exporting or creating the software necessary to just connect to the underworld, let alone even better, run and interact with it is top tier bullshit. Not to mention, I have to believe that there are hardware requirements that would prevent all of this. There's no way a normal gamer PC, even with all the necessary software can just connect to such a network.

Like I get back in the days of no internet, when science fiction was completely made up with effectively no basis in reality, and that some of the SAO source material is pretty old, but this is just lazy. Go to your local college, speak to professors, explore specialized forums, put in a fucking effort to actually getting some decent knowledge when writing on real things. I get that it's just an anime and LN, but come on, it's not that hard to figure out just how BS this is, and you certainly don't get to complain about it when people notice the flaws with your story when you're incorrectly incorporating the real word.

The Dive machine by Rath is only needed if you want the full immersion and for the healing process via Fluctlights. Since the Underworld was basically built on top of the Seed Engine used by the Original SAO and countless VR games, it makes sense that it can be rigged to accept accounts from other Seed games, though not on the same level of functionality or immersiveness as the dive machines that Kirito and Asuna are using right now. As an example, since the Americans are using their amusphere it means that the underworld to them just looks like a normal vr world and not super realistic like how Kirito and Asuna see it, as both of them are using STL instead. See my other post

brzzcodeDec 21, 2019 12:27 PM
Dec 21, 2019 12:24 PM
Dec 2016
I am absolutely in love with this episode. This episode is soo good for people who watched the entire SAO until now and are enjoying it. This episode creates excitement, feels and shows the potential of SAO. Can't wait for the next - and final episode of this season. Love Lisbeth she shined a like a star!
Dec 21, 2019 12:27 PM

Oct 2010
Amazing speech from Lisbeth that I can really relate to. Final episode is gonna be epic
Dec 21, 2019 12:28 PM

Feb 2013
Lelouch0202 said:
Good episode but I think I've mentioned it before, they just seem to be ignoring all real world implications in favor of making the plot seem more serious with higher stakes.

First of all, the biggest issue I have with this entire scenario is that, no military network is this unprotected, it's already pretty bullshit that the opposing soldiers were able to just walk in and access accounts like it was nothing. To add on to this, how am I expected to believe that they are just able to expose things on a private not to mention isolated military network to the public so easily? We don't even have to talk about all the issues with server infrastructure and even latency for cross continent play, not to mention the fact that this was probably a locally run simulation that should technically not be accessible to anyone outside the local network.
Where are the public gonna get the fluctlight machines unless for some reason, it's 'just compatible' with nerve gear now?

The whole Data Conversion thing was also overly plot convenient, the data is probably backed up. No one is gonna lose anything in relation to data, the only real stake they had there was about having no pain suppression. The whole thing was just for Liz to make the big emotional speech, don't get me wrong, it was great but thinking about it, she was making a big deal of a 'problem' that isn't really a 'problem'.

The real world sequences have always been the weakest aspects of the story in this season, I doubt there's anything that can be done about it at this point though. I enjoy this show but the non-underworld stuff always makes me bat an eye.

Forgot to put your comment on my previous comment so I'll respond the same thing since it's a similar questioning.

The Dive machine by Rath is only needed if you want the full immersion and for the healing process via Fluctlights. Since the Underworld was basically built on top of the Seed Engine used by the Original SAO and countless VR games, it makes sense that it can be rigged to accept accounts from other Seed games, though not on the same level of functionality or immersiveness as the dive machines that Kirito and Asuna are using right now. As an example, since the Americans are using their amusphere it means that the underworld to them just looks like a normal vr world and not super realistic like how Kirito and Asuna see it, as both of them are using STL instead. See my other post for more details.
Dec 21, 2019 12:30 PM

Oct 2010
Darikan said:
WWho wants to be trapped in a game / simulation? No argument could speak for it, except for plot reasons

You weren't paying attention. No one is "Trapped". You just have to die to get logged out.
Dec 21, 2019 12:35 PM

Jul 2014
Kougeru said:
Darikan said:
WWho wants to be trapped in a game / simulation? No argument could speak for it, except for plot reasons

You weren't paying attention. No one is "Trapped". You just have to die to get logged out.

Yeah, so to log out you need to delete your character, basically, and since VRMMORPG is a big thing in SAO, and many characters in this speech are people that probably spend hundreds of hours in this game... Why would you want to risk your character?
Dec 21, 2019 12:36 PM

Apr 2016
Great episode, I loved Liz's speech. It gives me so much feels, when "Swordland" started, I was moved. I'm really hyped for the next one.

Aleph199X said:
viniciust48 said:
That Liz speech's at the end was like a love letter to the real fans of this franchise, really made me shiver when I hear.

This, it's what SAO is about. SAO isn't a shounen, it's not about Kirito dual wielding and him Asuna showing off their combat abilities, it's about living in the virtual world and being in tune with it. It's about considering it your reality.

Totally agree!

broodo said:
For everyone saying the security system is garbage & unbelievable, you do know this was written (stating) almost 10yrs ago, right? He's making up new tech as he's going along. Even if he does research for his writings I'm pretty sure you won't find much on govt proprietary UI/OS. You can't move the story forward if it's 100% authentic to how it would be handled in the real world.

Also, a little thing called the suspension of disbelief.

It's a good point. Another reason is the fact that "The seed" is an open source project so "everyone" can read the code. So, the hacker, Critter, could have experience with it.
Dec 21, 2019 12:37 PM
Oct 2011
Any idea who the purple scarf character with the white haired pixie in the ending is?

Around 22.38
Dec 21, 2019 12:42 PM

Apr 2016
Kuroimi said:
Kougeru said:

Yeah, so to log out you need to delete your character, basically, and since VRMMORPG is a big thing in SAO, and many characters in this speech are people that probably spend hundreds of hours in this game... Why would you want to risk your character?

It's simple. Liz's speech has this exactly scope. Why? It's because the virtual reality is more than a simple videogame, it's another reality which you can think like it's your reality, your friends could be there, you could be there, so there could be a time when you are the one who needs help. That's a simple example but Liz's speech covers better this thing with some argument about people and virtual reality.
My English isn't perfect, so I don't know if what I wrote si correctly exposed.
Dec 21, 2019 12:44 PM

Sep 2013
Nemesis16 said:
Caltsio said:

All of those sensations aren't on the reality but into the underworld. You're only feeling that into there, not into your real body. There's no pain absorver into Underworld unlike any VRMMO game, so there's nothing about Amusphere that can protect, because not even SAO had real pain when it happened and the Amusphere was made to be a safe measure against what happened there. But, the Amusphere wasn't made to have protection against the uniqueness of the underworld.

Also, another thing is the difference of STL and Amusphere. Rath Dive Machine STL allows you to sync with the Underworld directly. Basically, your brain is translated into a Fluctlight so that it could experience things just as the Fluctlights in the Underworld do.

This means that things like the time acceleration and that System Call Generation system are usable by those in the STL. Normal VR Dive machines can't do this.

Also, they would not experience the massive desync issues when the Underworld is accelerated. That's why this episode was also partly focused on having the Underworld and the Real World's time be on sync. Any deviation from the normal time would introduce massive lag to non-STL dive machines and would eject their users once the time starts accelerating.

Finally a good explanation! Thanks a lot for this. It makes me realize the more detailed implicit stuff.

So if you log in to the Underworld, you're basically "cut off" from your real body? Unless maybe there's a connection problem/a black out? I more or less understand about the Soul Translator though because it's explained at the 1st episode from this arc when Kirito meet Asuna and Sinon at Agil's cafe that with Soul Translator you feel more realistic because it'll feels like a dream. Meanwhile with AmuSphere you'll feel less realistic. Plus what Subtilizer/Vecta said to PoH when PoH said something about the amazing experience he felt etc. and it's profitable or something like that.

It still feels weird though especially after what i/we saw with Kirito when his heart rate increased when fighting Xaxa (GGO arc). Also what Kirio himself said to Sinon to calm down because she'll logged out if her heart rate gone too high.
"... Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."
Dec 21, 2019 12:45 PM

Dec 2015
It's pretty rich that they are getting all upset that the U.S. military would use AI for weapons when Rath and the SDF was developing it exactly for that reason. This anime is so tone deaf with its own story it's hilarious.
Dec 21, 2019 12:46 PM

Jul 2014
HectorBlaze said:
Kuroimi said:

It's simple. Liz's speech has this exactly scope. Why? It's because the virtual reality is more than a simple videogame, it's another reality which you can think like it's your reality, your friends could be there, you could be there, so there could be a time when you are the one who needs help. That's a simple example but Liz's speech covers better this thing with some argument about people and virtual reality.

So, you would sacrifice your "other self" for something that doesn't even concern you? I mean, these people have no attachment to Underworld, their Virtual World is ALO, not Underworld :I
Dec 21, 2019 12:46 PM

Jun 2019
The final episode is a hype!!
Dec 21, 2019 12:54 PM

Feb 2013
Kuroimi said:
Kougeru said:

Because they want to save the others and were convinced to do so. They're risking their accounts which will be deleted if they die in Underworld. Honestly, the biggest problem outside of it is the real pain they will feel, as there's no pain absorber in there.

Caltsio said:
Nemesis16 said:

Finally a good explanation! Thanks a lot for this. It makes me realize the more detailed implicit stuff.

So if you log in to the Underworld, you're basically "cut off" from your real body? Unless maybe there's a connection problem/a black out? I more or less understand about the Soul Translator though because it's explained at the 1st episode from this arc when Kirito meet Asuna and Sinon at Agil's cafe that with Soul Translator you feel more realistic because it'll feels like a dream. Meanwhile with AmuSphere you'll feel less realistic. Plus what Subtilizer/Vecta said to PoH when PoH said something about the amazing experience he felt etc. and it's profitable or something like that.

It still feels weird though especially after what i/we saw with Kirito when his heart rate increased when fighting Xaxa (GGO arc). Also what Kirio himself said to Sinon to calm down because she'll logged out if her heart rate gone too high.

The thing is, all the games had pain absorber so you never felt real pain. On Underworld, you not only feel real pain but it's a bit more than normal. You sense all of that into the Underworld, not on your outside body. For example, if you get decapitated, you will feel it in there with your avatar as there's nothing blocking the pain. It's basically this. The signals are sent to your brain but you feel them into the virtual world.

With Amusphere, it was only equipped with systems that had pain absorbers, so basically every game. But Underworld don't have this, because Underworld is trying to be a simulation for the artificial fluctlights while using the seed. And, the same seed is why other accounts can enter, with the difference that they won't be fluclights as there's no STL and they will see everything as a game, because only the STL can make everything as if it's reality since it goes directly into your fluctlight and uses your memory to form that world.
Dec 21, 2019 12:55 PM

Apr 2016
Kuroimi said:
HectorBlaze said:

So, you would sacrifice your "other self" for something that doesn't even concern you? I mean, these people have no attachment to Underworld, their Virtual World is ALO, not Underworld :I

Probably you didn't understand what the point is. It's not your account you can eventually recreate. Try to think if you as an anime viewer was seen like a garbage person only for this but you have a wonderful place you love which concerne about your passion. Now, consider that you can do something which could help you and other anime viewer to change your reputation and demonstrate to everyone you aren't only a stupid person with a stupid passion who can't deal with the reality. However, what's truly important isn't do this for what others think but for your passion itself. Everything contestualized in a context where this passion copuld be important like the daylife for you.
It's difficult to me to say that but I hope what I wrote is clear.
Dec 21, 2019 12:59 PM
Apr 2014
The only good thing about this season is the ending theme, and they thought it was a good idea to ruin it with a pointless speech :/
Dec 21, 2019 1:02 PM

Dec 2015
TheToad said:
The only good thing about this season is the ending theme, and they thought it was a good idea to ruin it with a pointless speech :/

Lol this. The story and antagonist of this season is so retarded it hurts. "Oh no! Help! The Americans! REEEEE!" It's so annoying. The same story would have been much more compelling if they didn't make the SDF vs US military so black and white and instead made it a very gray battle with equally compelling viewpoints, and these kids just got tangled up in it. And yeah, that ED is amazing and that speech was corny as hell.
Dec 21, 2019 1:06 PM
Sep 2018
it was great hearing swordland used again it is probably my favorite song from all of sao i cry when i hear it because of just how many memories it brings back.

Lizbeths speach in this episode has shown the idea that reki has been trying to write about the virtual world is as much reality as the "real" world. the speech definitly spoke to me as someone who wouldnt be alive now if it wasnt for the interactions i made online, hearing there were people who didnt like the speech saddens me as that speech tells us why SAO was created to bridge the interactions of the virtual and real worlds as they define us no matter where the interactions came from
Dec 21, 2019 1:31 PM

Sep 2013
Nemesis16 said:

The thing is, all the games had pain absorber so you never felt real pain. On Underworld, you not only feel real pain but it's a bit more than normal. You sense all of that into the Underworld, not on your outside body. For example, if you get decapitated, you will feel it in there with your avatar as there's nothing blocking the pain. It's basically this. The signals are sent to your brain but you feel them into the virtual world.

Using your example is a bit hard to understand because i don't know what happen when a person's head got chopped. I mean their body/brain reaction. So for example if the player's arm (because you can still alive even after losing an arm unless you died because you bleed too much) got cut off, the brain will receive a signal about that right? Then won't your brain sending an automatic distress reaction/signal to your whole body like a lot of sweat, heavy breathing or increased heart rate in this case? Or does the signal can't go outside your brain?

Nemesis16 said:

With Amusphere, it was only equipped with systems that had pain absorbers, so basically every game. But Underworld don't have this, because Underworld is trying to be a simulation for the artificial fluctlights while using the seed. And, the same seed is why other accounts can enter, with the difference that they won't be fluclights as there's no STL and they will see everything as a game, because only the STL can make everything as if it's reality since it goes directly into your fluctlight and uses your memory to form that world.

I understand the rest except the part when you said "With Amusphere, it was only equipped with systems that had pain absorbers.. ", is that confirmed? Because i can't find it yet anywhere so far (except from reading the LN of course).

It's heavy but it's something fun to be discussed to be honest. 😂
Dec 21, 2019 1:33 PM

Nov 2016
The writer went crayz af and remembered that Liz exists lmao

I'm also wanting that Iskahn stays alive at the end of the story, and maybe after watching how his friends are dying for something useless, since he is the leader he can decide to change sides to protect his people. Also the piggy leader after watching his sister dying, the same.
AlvaritoterreosDec 21, 2019 1:42 PM
Dec 21, 2019 1:44 PM
Mar 2014
Today's episode !!!!
5/5
That speech from Lisbeth alone was hand down the best part of the series.

it was great to see all of the SAO + ALO characters team up again for a major offensive.

Good to see the gang regroup back together.
Dec 21, 2019 1:55 PM
Apr 2016
The whole obvious twist towards "FRIENDS UNITE WOOOO" was obvious and still I believe it would be a fundamentally better season without it... but the bad guys did it first. Okay, justified. Still salty they still treat A.I. like just A.I. but with human value. I know I know, this is not a philosophical work of art, just some entertainment... which is slowly becoming more and more stupid. Oh well, BANZAAAAAAAAAAAI
deg said:
lol holy shit World War 3 between America and Japan happening in a computer video game (cyber war at its highest level)

I'd join on Japan's side to wreck those gasoline chuggers like for real. Long overdue.
Kuroimi said:
So many plotholes, wow

I would be interested in particular plot holes. Could you kindly list them, at least by name?
HectorBlaze said:
Kuroimi said:

Probably you didn't understand what the point is. It's not your account you can eventually recreate. Try to think if you as an anime viewer was seen like a garbage person only for this but you have a wonderful place you love which concerne about your passion. Now, consider that you can do something which could help you and other anime viewer to change your reputation and demonstrate to everyone you aren't only a stupid person with a stupid passion who can't deal with the reality. However, what's truly important isn't do this for what others think but for your passion itself. Everything contestualized in a context where this passion copuld be important like the daylife for you.
It's difficult to me to say that but I hope what I wrote is clear.

He does not seem to fathom such concepts as "camaraderie", "helping each other", "strong friendship" and so on. For many people who have been through a lot with Kirito joining him in his crusade would be an honour, something actually worthwhile they can do while rotting away in those VRMMORPG. Like a real purpose, feeling like real heroes, protecting something and someone with a "soul". Guess some concepts are too big for people on certain individual development level.
Hylianticipated said:
TheToad said:

Lol this. The story and antagonist of this season is so retarded it hurts. "Oh no! Help! The Americans! REEEEE!" It's so annoying. The same story would have been much more compelling if they didn't make the SDF vs US military so black and white and instead made it a very gray battle with equally compelling viewpoints, and these kids just got tangled up in it. And yeah, that ED is amazing and that speech was corny as hell.

Wait what? SDF vs US? Where?! Are we watching the same series? "a very gray battle"? SDF and U.S.A. army are a definition of grey. But wait there is more... "compelling VIEWPOINTS"?! The guys are a military! They are either socially worthless or utterly retarded and should be filling prisons or labour camps or are psychopaths. Antagonist, if you have failed to perceive, is a psychopath, and is not going to turn Alice over to U.S. either way..... .... Ooooh I get it. You are upset about U.S. army being portrayed as villainy as it is. Okay then, you almost had me. Just for you, on this special occasion, words of wisdom:

"Nationalism is a puny man's solace - only lacking and hollow take pride in being a part of a group, for which they have done nothing to help make it something to be proud of".
Ace_demo2 said:
Any idea who the purple scarf character with the white haired pixie in the ending is?

Around 22.38

That is your first question? Alrighty then...
It is the pair from Ordinal Scale. The edgy boy and his girlfriend-turned-A.I. pixie like Yui.
Daniel_NaumovDec 21, 2019 3:01 PM
Re:formed
Dec 21, 2019 2:01 PM
Jan 2016
Great episode!

Sadly they didn't show girl exchanging information about Kirito!

Things escalated quickly in real word, Yui make amove to protect Kirito and Asuna, seem Sinon and Leafa will be joining soon on underword, also the other from the crew!

Lisbeth made and glorious speech, honestly i teared up a litle with how emotional the second part of her speech was! Seems she was capable to get some help, seems the leader from ALO will help, by their smile! And the ending as background in Lisbeth's speech turned it even more emotional and epic!

Seems Vecta made a move and beta player from America was already summoned into underword!

Seems Yui managed to get some misterious help, i am so curious to see who 9is the person revealed at the end!

One episode to go, i don't want it :(
Dec 21, 2019 2:01 PM

Aug 2012
That was some quality engrish.
Dec 21, 2019 2:07 PM

Jun 2014
I felt sorry for the Leader of the Pugilists while he was watching his comrades die. I wonder if he will break the Seal of the Right Eye, since his right eye glowed red around 06:30. He's an interesting character, I'd like him to switch sides. Also I think the leader of the pig people might switch sides too since he was so crushed when they sacrificed a lot of his poeple for the Dark Mages' spell.

Anyway, the bad guys using players to log in into Underworld to win over the Human Empire soldiers, they are scum. Hope the American players will run away after experiencing real pain.

Yui-chan to the rescue! Can't wait to see Solus and Terraria (I wonder if we will see them in this season, there's only 1 episode left). I wonder how they got that big crowd of people to listen to Lisbeth's speech at 5 AM. :D Let's hope her speech moves a big enough number of people, because all those American dark knights are gonna be trouble. I don't know if their levels are high, but they numbers sure are. ^^;
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Dec 21, 2019 2:12 PM

Dec 2014
ok like I am kinda sad..... with only one episode left and kirito bring paralyzed the whole season.... will this end like this
Dec 21, 2019 2:18 PM

Feb 2011
That was awfully boring. Well, at least it set up the climax for next episode.
Dec 21, 2019 2:31 PM

Jul 2014
Daniel_Naumov said:
Kuroimi said:
So many plotholes, wow

I would be interested in particular plot holes. Could you kindly list them, at least by name?

First, why would they need to transport Kirito in the artificial island if they can connect from Japan, like Shinon and Suguha will do?

Why the scientists took that much time to detect the change in the server' speed? Or at least that something was strange? Because they were sleeping? What a coincidence

Why the players from america can connect in Underworld this fast? Wasn't it a "closed beta" thingy? It was done in like less than one hour (since they didn't even cut all the ropes in Underworld), it shouldn't be this fast for the word to spread in the internet, select enough people and prepare it on the go like that, or what, are all American have no life?

Also, why would a "private" server network from Japan (and by that, I mean a server solely made for testing things for the nation) would connect this easely in America for them to play?

I would also add the thing about AmuSphere being able to connect in Underworld, but that was already explained here so I guess that doesn't count

Also, Yui who know everything is a little bit over the top but I guess we need it or else the story won't progress :/

Maybe I didn't understand what was explained and that's why I see these things as plotholes, or story convenience, if so, if someone would like to explain it to me...
Dec 21, 2019 2:42 PM
Dec 2019
Nayout said:
That many here have zero social skills does not make the speech stupid, the speech is a reality for many MMORPG players who consider these more than just a game, where friendships, love affairs, etc.

https://www.runaroundnet.com/2019/03/creating-and-leading-top-ffxiv-guild.html

I spent a great deal of time playing Ragnarok Online and I still feel bad about when my guild fell apart. I can only imagine that VRMMO of the level of SAO would absolutely be a second life for most of the people playing.
Dec 21, 2019 2:43 PM

Oct 2019
Kuroimi said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

First, why would they need to transport Kirito in the artificial island if they can connect from Japan, like Shinon and Suguha will do?

Why the scientists took that much time to detect the change in the server' speed? Or at least that something was strange? Because they were sleeping? What a coincidence

Why the players from america can connect in Underworld this fast? Wasn't it a "closed beta" thingy? It was done in like less than one hour (since they didn't even cut all the ropes in Underworld), it shouldn't be this fast for the word to spread in the internet, select enough people and prepare it on the go like that, or what, are all American have no life?

Also, why would a "private" server network from Japan (and by that, I mean a server solely made for testing things for the nation) would connect this easely in America for them to play?

I would also add the thing about AmuSphere being able to connect in Underworld, but that was already explained here so I guess that doesn't count

Also, Yui who know everything is a little bit over the top but I guess we need it or else the story won't progress :/

Maybe I didn't understand what was explained and that's why I see these things as plotholes, or story convenience, if so, if someone would like to explain it to me...

For Kirito is because they need stl, amusphere can’t help because it hasn’t what is necessary

.It don’t pass too much time, I think it depends on a perspective in time.

The things of give to the American players the chance to login is part of the plan, the war until now is part of Vector plan to take time until Critter do this. It takes to him around 5 hours like the blond computer scientist said.

This project run over the seed, the tecnology developed by Kayaba so I think it’s possible give to others the right to login using the functionality of cross-platform of the seed.
Dec 21, 2019 2:54 PM

Feb 2013
Caltsio said:
Nemesis16 said:

Using your example is a bit hard to understand because i don't know what happen when a person's head got chopped. I mean their body/brain reaction. So for example if the player's arm (because you can still alive even after losing an arm unless you died because you bleed too much) got cut off, the brain will receive a signal about that right? Then won't your brain sending an automatic distress reaction/signal to your whole body like a lot of sweat, heavy breathing or increased heart rate in this case? Or does the signal can't go outside your brain?

Nemesis16 said:

I understand the rest except the part when you said "With Amusphere, it was only equipped with systems that had pain absorbers.. ", is that confirmed? Because i can't find it yet anywhere so far (except from reading the LN of course).

It's heavy but it's something fun to be discussed to be honest. 😂

No, because the pain that you feel is inside the game/Virtual world. It's not a pain going to your body but being given to you by the system itself as there's nothing blocking the pain. So for example if you lose your arm, you will feel as if you lost, but only there.In the real world, you won't feel anything to your body. It's different than it was in SAO, where there was pain absorbers in the game so you almost didn't feel pain but the Nervegear had a system where you would die if you had it removed and if your avatar died.

For the second point, yes, it's confirmed. Amusphere was created based on the nervegear of SAO. Which is why it had pain absorber and all the other games had it as well, because they were games being sold to the market. But Underworld isn't a game, it's a secret project of a virtual world simulation using the seed as the engine to create that world, so not only they don't need to use pain absorbers but to make it more real, they didn't implement it, to make the fluctlights think that they are living in a real world.
Dec 21, 2019 3:01 PM
Apr 2016
Kuroimi said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

I feel like if I tried hard enough I could find logical justification for all of it. Let us see if I do:
1. As already mentioned, they converted him to STL, on a secret experimental military site. It is also easier to keep checking on him when he is in the next room. I do not find this particular "plot hole" as something impossible or illogical, I believe it is not even worth mentioning.

2. It did not seem like too much time passed. It was like 3 minutes in episode's footage between when Rath subsidiary saw and called... but they did so only when the thots showed up their door. Which means it could be something between 10 to 15 minutes after Yui "felt disturbance in the force" (we will try to get to it). Yes, for a major IT company such an interval is questionable, but then again it did not look like the office Rath thought the time change to be an error. They have simply observed a change in the program. Considering this to be, again, a secret military experiment, they might not even understand what is going on.

3-4. This is a hax0r stuff which I am not too knowledgeable about. But from what we have seen it seem Critter, the military company's hacker, used all the tools that came with hijacking mainframe to bypass and circumvent a lot of restrictions and did something that was, frankly, never planned. Like opening the game to mass diving. But again, everyone this episode mentions that Underworld is built on Seed, which made a revolution in the VR gaming as it allowed to connect one character from one Seed-based game to another Seed-based game. Underworld is just a game based on Seed constructor. Except instead of filling it with NPC they added real "souls". It also did not seem like a hard thing, to connect advanced servers to public internet. Critter did not select enough people, he just seems to have spammed whoever was available, and got several dozen thousands to play. Which is a small number for a 300mln America.
5. Yui could have received all this info from inside the military site/from Asuna, as Yui is seemingly freely roaming through her iPhone. While she had heard about the situation from Asuna and co., when Critter started connection to 'Muricans she saw outgoing public connections from that site, and as a super-A.I. got an idea what is going on.

I believe I did not have to try hard, this is all rather trivial and is not nearly a "plot hole", but to explain several points you need to remember the details. Which is hard after these meaningless 8 episodes.
Dec 21, 2019 3:02 PM
Apr 2016
japcrap_ said:
Did this seriously go from an anime about a video game to an anime about the United States Military stealing an artificial intelligence from the Japanese government to make their drones more efficient? SAO was my first anime and has always been one of my favorites despite its glaring plotholes and hogwash writing, but this is just getting ridiculous.

Ahem
"Nationalism is a puny man's solace - only lacking and hollow take pride in being a part of a group, for which they have done nothing to help make it something to be proud of".
Also you, like, failed to understand half the plot of this particular story. Or failed to mention it. Maybe you should have begin with something less mentally-demanding for your first Japanese animation. Regardless, ar revoir.
Dec 21, 2019 3:05 PM

Feb 2016
I haven't felt like that since rem speech in rezero,

Very touching speech, l have repeated it 6 times so far....

10/10 episode

Best SAO season without doubt....
Dec 21, 2019 3:05 PM
Dec 2019
Who was with yue in the end of the episode??
Dec 21, 2019 3:06 PM

Feb 2013
japcrap_ said:
Did this seriously go from an anime about a video game to an anime about the United States Military stealing an artificial intelligence from the Japanese government to make their drones more efficient? SAO was my first anime and has always been one of my favorites despite its glaring plotholes and hogwash writing, but this is just getting ridiculous.

Did you wake up from coma or something? lol Alicization began over one year ago.

And it isn't ridiculous compared to a "video game", because the entire project is using the seed of the very first VRMMORPG to do everything. It's also all the previous arcs coming into one place. There's this some weird impression that SAO is about battles, video games and what not but it was all about the real and virtual life and how the virtual is also real, which ending with an entire project creating a real AI is the culmination of all of that. It's also pretty stupid to say that it's "just a videogame" when the VRMMORPG were always impressive pieces of technology so Project Alicization is just a evolution of that with the medicub and STL and all based on a government project using the seed of the games to create a virtual world and all.
Dec 21, 2019 3:18 PM
Jun 2013
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, we got more content from the real life outside world this episode. They even showed a bit of New York with the SAO Underworld beta test. Other familiar characters like Yue and Liz are also shown again.

As for the battles in the virtual world, the knights seems to be employing a straightforward strategy to further their movements. Seems more like a buildup episode. The part with the beta test was the most interesting part though.

You are referring to the integrity knights right? Not sure which knights you were referring to.

Anyway, I thought Gabriel's rope plan was some act of madness; because Asuna can change the landscape, I was wondering why Gabriel can't do the same thing since he is a "god."
But I understand the plan now. The real plan is lure all the integrity knights, and Asuna, where they all come out into the open, where they would THINK that Gabriel is desperate in moving his soldiers, then all of Gabriel's "real world players" would log in for a mindless slaughter on Asuna's team; of course, I doubt the American gamerrs are able to see the difference with friend or foe. How many gamers we have in America? America is a big place, I was expecting that the game would have suffered an overpopulation problem when so many American players log in.

Honestly that plan would be PERFECT in the real world. But, for the sake of the story, this anime went for the too unrealistic route by asking many Japanese players in risking their own hard earned game accounts to fight off an army from America. I am an FGO player so I understand the pain when serious players value their game accounts.

On a side note, how bad is it for the American Military to get Alice? I mean, it won't be used for terrorism right? It would be way worse if terrorists get Alice

Not to complain too much but the english was hard to listen to.
greed2Dec 21, 2019 3:29 PM
Dec 21, 2019 3:19 PM

Oct 2019
japcrap_ said:

sao never was an anime about only video games, there are always been things more complex which involved societies with their focus on different kind of technology. Those technologies are always ectremely good, if you think at the medicuboid you can understand it’s something a lot of governments would take.
Dec 21, 2019 3:51 PM

Jun 2016
Can't say I'm not slightly disappointed by the adaptation. Compared to SAO, where A-1 actually went out of their way to restructure some of the novels for a better linear story, Alicization's adaptation is nearly a summarized version of the novels cutting some corners.

My main issues lies mostly with the first 2 cours Alicization. It was battle after battle, with not only disappointing animation and sword locks, it built up almost none of the integrity knights. Now, we're thrown into a war with a diverse cast and multiple pov's from a bunch of characters that's gotten minimal development, without Kirito. On the otherhand, ironically some hot-headed characters like Iskahn and Scheta have gotten incredible expositions over the course of a battle. (lol)

Other than the difficult to bear English, this episode was actually quite good. Byfar one of the more impressive non-action moments in SAO, hard to believe sidelined Liz was at the center of it. Unfortunately, barely anyone including Liz, Klein, Agil, and Eugene have gotten any screentime in the past, so it lost quite a lot of impact for me personally. And some of the flashbacks from s1 felt quite out of place with the art being so vastly different between s1 and Alicization.

Damn, I have quite a few gripes now that I look back at what's written, but it's more of potential improvements and failing to meet high expectations rather than it being a poor adaptation. Though, if anyone hasn't read the novels, I can see why they would fall into an immediate love it or hate it camp.
Dec 21, 2019 4:12 PM

Jul 2017
With all past problems gone (subvertly for plot reasons), here we are at Alicizaton Awakening.

With what seemed like a possibility for the Dark Territory's forces to penerate for saving time, Commander Bernoculi and the other remaining Integrity Knights waged war, first blood.

But all this is at the expense of Victor and his "SDF army" forces who've already penetrated the Ocean Turtle ahead of time, and significantly changed things around while Kikuoka and the others at Rath aren't aware of.

Through Yui, the World Seed given from Kayaba Akihiko to Kirito at the end of Season 1, it's a wonder to see that all that was readied for Alice. The others a.k.a Sinon, Lisbeth and the rest of the SAO team must prepare for the worst, as the time shift to re-enact real time, as well as the entire World Seed ecosystem to prepare for Data Conversion for the Battle of the Underworld, is a huge gamble. But it is a gamble that must be taken, as the infiltration of the entire world is hijacked into the Underworld.

Part 2 coming to an end soon with the next episode before another long wait for the final quarter.
Dec 21, 2019 4:21 PM

May 2018
Kirito: Harem, assemble!
Dec 21, 2019 4:37 PM
Jul 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:
Wait what? SDF vs US? Where?! Are we watching the same series? "a very gray battle"? SDF and U.S.A. army are a definition of grey. But wait there is more... "compelling VIEWPOINTS"?! The guys are a military! They are either socially worthless or utterly retarded and should be filling prisons or labour camps or are psychopaths. Antagonist, if you have failed to perceive, is a psychopath, and is not going to turn Alice over to U.S. either way..... .... Ooooh I get it. You are upset about U.S. army being portrayed as villainy as it is. Okay then, you almost had me. Just for you, on this special occasion, words of wisdom:

I feel like you’ve just jumped to the conclusion that anybody who disagrees with how brazen and ridiculous the plot has become must automatically be an Eagleland nationalist. Coming from someone who is anything but a nationalist, I agree with Hylianticipated’s viewpoint, because so far, it’s very black and white in it’s portrayals.
Reki Kawahara has been criticized in the past for his fundamental lack of understanding when it comes to the topics he’s writing about, and in the case of Sword Art Online, it’s apparent that he wrote SAO with a relatively limited knowledge on video games, much less MMOs, and gaming communities as a whole. Considering how much video games have changed since SAO was first written, it’s somewhat forgivable, but what isn’t forgivable is the ineptitude in how he handles the believability of his works. His portrayal of video gaming is already laughable, but for a series that relies so heavily on suspension of disbelief, how he handles the subjects of domestic and international politics, espionage, and military operations is so abhorrently unsubtle and clumsy that it’s comparable to the average Call of Duty game, but even those can still leave the suspension of disbelief intact. With how he portrays the foreign characters (American, Chinese, Korean), I’m wondering if he made any attempt at all to make them seem like real, believable people or just went with typical stereotypes and convenient tropes for a faceless, villainous army of foreigners. What’s really the point of involving them? Having read the novel, Kawahara doesn’t even make an attempt to resolve the conflicts he establishes so brazenly. I could go on even more about the inconsistencies and lack of depth in SAO as a whole (don’t even get me started on how he “handles” the issue of Alice).

Also,
Daniel_Naumov said:
I'd join on Japan's side to wreck those gasoline chuggers like for real. Long overdue.

Nice to see you’re so open about your biases. Consider how that might undermine some of your arguments.
Dec 21, 2019 4:47 PM

Sep 2016
Every time I hear a Sakamoto Maaya voiced character talking about death, it feels kinda weird...especially if she uses the same tone of Void... xD

Amazing speech at the end of episode.
It's one of those "you hate it or love it" speech
Die hard fan of SAO? Love
Die hart hater of SAO? Hate
Neither? If you're a huge nerd or otaku in anything, you can relate with it and you'll love it, otherwise it will feel super lame, cringy and nonsensical to you.
Easy.
Just don't say it's bad just because you can't relate or you blindly hate SAO (yet you still watch it xD)
bruh
Dec 21, 2019 4:53 PM

Oct 2019
FullyCharged said:
Every time I hear a Sakamoto Maaya voiced character talking about death, it feels kinda weird...especially if she uses the same tone of Void... xD

Neither? If you're a huge nerd or otaku in anything, you can relate with it and you'll love it, otherwise it will feel super lame, cringy and nonsensical to you.
Easy.
Just don't say it's bad just because you can't relate or you blindly hate SAO (yet you still watch it xD)

What is sure is that the haters of sao will watch every single episode because they need to watch it lol
I’ve always found hilarious this thing from when I heard that from one of that called ‘haters’ haha
Dec 21, 2019 4:58 PM
Jan 2017
Liz speech a high stakes, they did the awesome job together with her VA, fabulous !
30k americans with bloodlust against -7k humans, the first plot twist we can wait guys.

now the only thing i miss is the monologue about Yui's tears, i know Alice its a top IA buuuuut what Yui discover and did no, no no no she are the best IA for me.

And its me or they just ignored the mistake did in ALO scenes episodes ago ? I'm glad I was relieved.
Next week prepare your eyes to arrive of old fighters and new 'ray of light' <3

Dec 21, 2019 5:01 PM
Jul 2016
FullyCharged said:

Easy.

I actually really like Alicization. I feel it’s the best the series has ever been, but since it’s SAO it still has a lot of issues. To it’s credit, however, it solved a lot of the issues I had with the original two seasons. The direction they took Kirito and his connection with Eugeo and Alice were very compelling and redeemed him considerably as the protagonist in my mind (at least until the conclusion of the arc). I secretly like SAO despite it’s faults, though I’d never admit it ;^)
Dec 21, 2019 5:01 PM
Dec 2019
I just really love it when anime characters dish out speeches. It's always emotional and I always feel like crying... Unless I'm watching it with someone else, in which case I'm like "Dude, that was so stupid"
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2019

262 by ____panda____ »»
May 22, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2019

193 by RicFie »»
Apr 13, 10:27 AM

Poll: » Favorite SAO couple? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 17, 10:24 AM

» why do people like alice? ( 1 2 )

JoshMan - Oct 23, 2019

72 by DiamSilver »»
Feb 5, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2019

160 by dilaxd »»
Jan 17, 1:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.