Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 20, 2019 4:23 PM

Feb 2019
It was obvious, but I felt sad for Ragnar. Seeing him dying was actually better done in anime than in the manga imo. My fav episode.

Also Askechad....... you damn fox.
Oct 20, 2019 4:35 PM

Mar 2018
Big L for Askeladd he got the shitty prince, killing Ragnar may have been the wrong choice and he's getting Thorkell after his ass. Damn, that's tough. Heavy episode.

It's time for Askeladaddy now

Switch_Z said:
"There is no father that will hate his son." says the dude living in an era full of barbarians.
Ah the innocence.

Canute deep inside knows his dad doesn't like or love him, that's why he got an outburst when the priest brought up his doubts during the prayer. Ragnar is such a dumbass tbh he pampered this kid way too much, even if his intentions were good I can't stand behind what he did.
EsquirtitOct 20, 2019 4:53 PM
poop
Oct 20, 2019 4:37 PM
Sep 2018
the plot has a lot of potential, as a manga reader the story is gonna start developing at a fast rate at this point. The manga is rly good and if wit studio is able to execute it well. its legit gonna be one of the best series of this season man
Oct 20, 2019 4:40 PM

Jan 2019
I believe that Askeladd's character is as good as Shougo Makishima if not better. I love the guy, but I still think he's a piece of shit.

Great episode, Ragnar's death was tragic. He did nothing wrong, he only cared dearly for Canute.
Though, as a manga reader, this is the beginning of something truly amazing.

P.S. Amazon being dumb Amazon again guys.
There's videos on youtube of this weeks episode if it's still not on the Prime website.
Oct 20, 2019 4:41 PM
Sep 2018
I can see why people hate askeladd so much but this is done purposely so that when you see him in the next episodes of the show it will actually make you wonder about what is good and evil. The manga executed these scenes really nicely and actually the series focus is gonna be more on Askeladd and Thorfinns development will kick start in the next arc
Oct 20, 2019 4:42 PM

Jul 2017
akseladd is best boy!!
Oct 20, 2019 4:44 PM
Jul 2018
where the fook is the ep at
Oct 20, 2019 4:45 PM

Mar 2012
People keep saying that this episode wasn't on prime but as of 12:34pm Eastern Standard Time I watched this episode on Amazon Prime. Did they take it down or something?

Askeladd didn't look evil enough in the scene where he said "No". Anyways, don't worry, Askeladd, you will get your wish for Canute to man up. Then you will regret it. I can't wait.
MetaKiteOct 20, 2019 4:52 PM
Oct 20, 2019 5:16 PM
Jul 2019
Elucid said:
I believe that Askeladd's character is as good as Shougo Makishima if not better. I love the guy, but I still think he's a piece of shit.

Askeladd might end up becoming better. Makishima was a main villain with views at the world that are actually not that wrong and interesting to think about. Askeladd doesn't even look like a main villain for me. He's a very complex character that escalates between being an anti hero and antagonist. Before the last 2 episodes he was starting to look more like the antihero stuff with getting some bakcstory that shows a little noble side for him, then last 2 episodes showed he is still a shit bag that has no problem doing whatever needed for the sake of his plan to work. He needed the prince to man up and use him as a source of power in front of the king so ruthlessly killed Ragnar as he was blocking that growth.

It's hard to classify him as a main villain at the point. Extremely grey and complex character with lows and highs.

Though I don't know at this point. The king not giving a s**t about Canute and wanting him to die because he sees him as useless in comparison to his brother screws Askeladd's initial plan. His plans have been getting screwed time and time again recently.

He planned to get past the country on land for winter to come and make it harder. He planned to kill all the villagers to prevent anyone from alerting the enemy for a girl to escape by luck and inform Thorkell and his men. He planned to use Canute as his way to gain power at the king for him to know the king was planning to get Canute killed.

I don't think he can keep the secret of how Ragnar died from Canute forever and he will end up having both Canute and Thorfinn wanting revenge on him. Is he that confident he will be able to control them forever? He's kinda underestimating them.

His men are also starting to doubt him and think his luck is starting to run out. Is this the beginning of the end for him?

Not a manga reader by the way.
el3melOct 20, 2019 5:25 PM
Oct 20, 2019 5:28 PM

May 2018
Another great episode, I am excited to see how will the things proceed especially when Ragnar tell everything about the King's plan. RIP to Ragnar, and the "No" part was harsh. This is interesting simply because the Antagonist is more interesting than the Protagonist, the way Askeladd do things was truly brutal and I love it, everything gives a strong impact.

Oct 20, 2019 5:30 PM

Jun 2016
Fuck Askeladd again.
I will hold a fucking parade and dance all over his grave when Thorfinn kills this SOB and no one's going to tell me he has fucking reasons. Fuck Askeladd and his crew. They are the worst people in this anime, hands down. No morals, no principles, no nothing.
They disgust me.
Gift by Mimurona

Oct 20, 2019 6:10 PM

Jan 2011
continuing the fuck Askeladd train was pumped up once Thorkell realized it might be him hidden away and got ready to march.

looks like his luck really is running out

RIP Ragnar i got spoiled by the OP with him fading off was like yeah hes gonna die this season.
Oct 20, 2019 6:11 PM

Mar 2018
@el3mel What's interesting is that you could also see him as a protagonist because the only reason he's an antagonist is the fact he killed Thorfinn's dad. Other than that they're on the same team

There aren't really any villains from a story perspective, everyone's just participating in a war. I guess you could say they're the villains of this world, but Thorfinn is just as much one as Thorkell and Askeladd.

To add: isn't it just so tragic that Thors loved his son and king Sweyn hated his, yet Thorfinn became a cold soldier and Canute a good-hearted boy? That's partially Askeladds fault and he might even create another one
poop
Oct 20, 2019 6:19 PM

Jul 2009
It's gonna be so sweet when Canute kills that asshole (or Thorfinn, either one has gotta do it! Although my bet is on Canute)
Oct 20, 2019 6:40 PM
Jul 2019
Esquirtit said:
@el3mel What's interesting is that you could also see him as a protagonist because the only reason he's an antagonist is the fact he killed Thorfinn's dad. Other than that they're on the same team

There aren't really any villains from a story perspective, everyone's just participating in a war. I guess you could say they're the villains of this world, but Thorfinn is just as much one as Thorkell and Askeladd.

To add: isn't it just so tragic that Thors loved his son and king Sweyn hated his, yet Thorfinn became a cold soldier and Canute a good-hearted boy? That's partially Askeladds fault and he might even create another one

Yep. All characters look very grey for me and I don't see any main villains so far which is why this anime has been brilliant so far. There's no black and white. Things are more complex.
Oct 20, 2019 6:58 PM

Oct 2017
RIP Ragnar. He didn’t deserve to go out like that.

Askeladd may be a POS but he’s definitely one of the most interesting characters so far.
Oct 20, 2019 7:48 PM

Oct 2015
That was a sad death by Ragnar, especially when he revealed everything about the king.

Askeladd is so cold, he didn't even let him see the prince for the last time. I see Askeladd die a colder death at the end.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 20, 2019 7:56 PM
Feb 2009
Rip Ragnar the poor man has been getting death flags since we first saw him
Oct 20, 2019 8:07 PM
Sep 2019
It's 2 bad that ragnar died in ambush, he had to have good fighting skills since he is high ranked, it is bullshit that I didn't get to see that
Oct 20, 2019 8:25 PM

May 2014
And thus the great conehead meets his end...
Oct 20, 2019 8:33 PM
Jan 2019
Damn it! The previous episode was the villagers and now this. Askeladd, that bastard will do everything to accomplish his goal, but he did not have the truths that Ragnar revealed to him. The reward he expected for this is no longer certain.
Poor Canute, he lost someone very precious to him, someone who was a much better father than his true father. The next episode comes the tears, gentlemen. The ending already told us that this would happen.
Oct 20, 2019 9:22 PM

Mar 2009
Askeladd is a cruel motherfucker.
Oct 20, 2019 9:48 PM

Oct 2017
Well it was only a matter of time before Askelad killed Ragner and it happened in this episode. Also it seems the king is after Canut's life to stop the infighting between the two factions. Well looking forward to see how the prince reacts.

Also im happy that the girl from last episode actually survived.
Oct 20, 2019 9:54 PM

Sep 2017
Wow dude, fuck the Danes, fuck Askeladd, and fuck the king. That was a brutal episode. Askeladd is such a prick. I can only hope he gets what he deserves one day. But man what will become of the Prince now? Inb4 epic anime transformation where he's now a super badass.
Oct 20, 2019 10:20 PM

Nov 2017
Did Askeladd just peed at the place distant to the grave of the villagers he just massacred?! Dem that guy gave no fucks.
Oct 20, 2019 11:06 PM

Apr 2015
"there is no father that hates his son" oh the irony. Luke 14:26 was right all along!
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Oct 20, 2019 11:45 PM

Jul 2015
el3mel said:

His men are also starting to doubt him and think his luck is starting to run out. Is this the beginning of the end for him?

Not a manga reader by the way.

I will be rooting for that man's absolute, utter demise!!!

Izuru_Kamukura10 said:
Fuck Askeladd again.
I will hold a fucking parade and dance all over his grave when Thorfinn kills this SOB and no one's going to tell me he has fucking reasons. Fuck Askeladd and his crew. They are the worst people in this anime, hands down. No morals, no principles, no nothing.
They disgust me.

100% agree my friend

ihinsya said:
It's 2 bad that ragnar died in ambush, he had to have good fighting skills since he is high ranked, it is bullshit that I didn't get to see that

Exactly my thoughts my guy, if he had realized just a bit sooner he could've deflected the spear like he deflected the sword in the forest fire. Though it doesn't say anything really, I like how Askeladd deployed like 10 dudes on him lmao at least they put some respect to his name. I won't take anymore disrespect toward conehead Canute better just murder Askeladd
irondark30Oct 20, 2019 11:56 PM
Oct 21, 2019 12:26 AM

Aug 2017
As cruel as it is, Ragnar needed to die.

His coddling of Canute was more harmful than helpful especially since whether he wants to or not, he is a prince & he should act like it.

As morally dubious as Askeladd is, he will enable Canute to grow up into the man he needs to be.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Oct 21, 2019 12:35 AM

May 2019
An amazing episode as always. Possibly even better, if that was possible.

I loved Thorkell in this episode, it's always fun to see the repercussions of his destructive ideology.

More political drama, introducing another avenue for the plot.

Rip Ragnar, i'm so glad he died for plot reasons, though - it will improve the integrity of the show and the upcoming characterisation immensely.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Oct 21, 2019 2:02 AM

Jul 2015
Really it's a great episode,man the anime really broke my expectations.

Ragnar's death was really sad,but he could have let Canute grow up which he sadly didn't.

The characterization is nicely done,both Askeladd and Ragnar.

And now Thorkell comes in pursuit.

Oct 21, 2019 2:10 AM
May 2013
Askeladd continues to be a stone cold killer. Ragnar was noble until the end.
Oct 21, 2019 3:02 AM

Jul 2016
ED's slowly starting to grow on me, now that the love for the first one's starting to wear off.

If I had to make a prediction for next week's episode, Thorfinn is going to see through the lie immediately. He knows Askeladd, he knows how he operates and he'll realise that this is basically the exact same thing that Askeladd did to him all those years ago. Canute will probably fall for it, but I honestly have no idea if Thorfinn will tell him or not.
Oct 21, 2019 3:22 AM

May 2015
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:
ED's slowly starting to grow on me, now that the love for the first one's starting to wear off.

If I had to make a prediction for next week's episode, Thorfinn is going to see through the lie immediately. He knows Askeladd, he knows how he operates and he'll realise that this is basically the exact same thing that Askeladd did to him all those years ago. Canute will probably fall for it, but I honestly have no idea if Thorfinn will tell him or not.
thorfinn isn't that intelligent.
Oct 21, 2019 3:27 AM

Nov 2013
at this point Thorfinn and Canute will team up to kill Askeladd
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Oct 21, 2019 3:38 AM

Nov 2013
nanashi796 said:
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:

the fact that Thorfinn pointing his knife at Askeladd's men shows that he sense something wrong there,..
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Oct 21, 2019 3:48 AM

May 2015
KyouKaiTen said:
nanashi796 said:

the fact that Thorfinn pointing his knife at Askeladd's men shows that he sense something wrong there,..
the battle was real,askeladd even said to bjorn to capture their commander,thorfinn will fall for it,askeladd used this situation to kill ragnar.
Oct 21, 2019 4:24 AM

Jul 2016
Izuru_Kamukura10 said:
Fuck Askeladd again.
They disgust me.

They are who they are.

You do realise they are a viking raiding party right?
Oct 21, 2019 4:52 AM

Aug 2018
Shit, I did not expect such betrayal

But that was another excellent episode, looking forward next one
Oct 21, 2019 4:56 AM

Jun 2016
Vindicater said:
Izuru_Kamukura10 said:
Fuck Askeladd again.
They disgust me.

They are who they are.

And somehow that makes what they are doing alright then? No. I do not care who they are. You could be raised up in hell for all I care. When you're this low and disgusting then you are this low and disgusting.
Thorkell maybe crazy SOB but at the very least that crazy SOB is a warrior who fights on the battlefield. Askeladd? A coward and a liar who kills anyone whether it's ally, enemy or bystanders and has no honor of a warrior like Thorfinn. He's no warrior. Even for the characters in this series, he's fucking low. This show may boast awful characters but he's the lowest of the low. Turns his blade on ally and bystander alike. Would not be surprised if Bjorn and his Dane buddies will get screwed over by him with enough motivation.
Don't try to justify his actions to me because no amount of 'ends justify the means' or 'They're Vikings' is going to cut it. I'm not interested.
Izuru_Kamukura10Oct 21, 2019 5:04 AM
Gift by Mimurona

Oct 21, 2019 4:58 AM

May 2018
rip Ragnar, you were best conehead
Oct 21, 2019 5:30 AM

May 2015
Izuru_Kamukura10 said:
Vindicater said:

They are who they are.

And somehow that makes what they are doing alright then? No. I do not care who they are. You could be raised up in hell for all I care. When you're this low and disgusting then you are this low and disgusting.
Thorkell maybe crazy SOB but at the very least that crazy SOB is a warrior who fights on the battlefield. Askeladd? A coward and a liar who kills anyone whether it's ally, enemy or bystanders and has no honor of a warrior like Thorfinn. He's no warrior. Even for the characters in this series, he's fucking low. This show may boast awful characters but he's the lowest of the low. Turns his blade on ally and bystander alike. Would not be surprised if Bjorn and his Dane buddies will get screwed over by him with enough motivation.
Don't try to justify his actions to me because no amount of 'ends justify the means' or 'They're Vikings' is going to cut it. I'm not interested.
Izuru_Kamukura10 said:
Vindicater said:

They are who they are.

that's why he's a good character,he does what needs to be done to achieve his goal, he's a realist.
Oct 21, 2019 5:53 AM

Jun 2016
nanashi796 said:
Izuru_Kamukura10 said:

Izuru_Kamukura10 said:

that's why he's a good character,he does what needs to be done to achieve his goal, he's a realist.

LMAO I am not even going to argue with this.
There is a fine line between being a 'realist' and being just low and fucking disgusting and taking the cheapest and most immoral shortcuts to getting what you want.
If you're going to tell me killing Ragnar is justified and 'realist' then I'm not going to bother. In my mind, he's disgusting and low and that's the end of it. That's like saying if someone were to make the same decision and killed your parental figure to make you grow and handle the world on their own is 'realist' and just fucking crazy and taking it too far. There is lines one does not cross no matter what ends you chase.
This whole 'ends justfy the means' crap that people defend him with just to get him a pass over his actions is fucking ridiculous. I am not like the rest of you and never will be. He's disgusting and low. End of conversation.
Izuru_Kamukura10Oct 21, 2019 6:00 AM
Gift by Mimurona

Oct 21, 2019 5:59 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
OOOOOOF poor Ragnar, that was really sad tbh
Oct 21, 2019 6:04 AM

Jul 2014
I just hate and sometimes like askeladd and fav character but still what he did was unforgivable
Ragnar gonna pay u respect, ur much more of a dad to canute...just cutting onions T_T
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~
Oct 21, 2019 6:05 AM

May 2015
Izuru_Kamukura10 said:
nanashi796 said:

There is a fine line between being a 'realist' and being just low and fucking disgusting and taking the cheapest and most immoral shortcuts to getting what you want.
If you're going to tell me killing Ragnar is justified and 'realist' then I'm not going to bother. In my mind, he's disgusting and low and that's the end of it. That's like saying if someone were to make the same decision and killed your parental figure to make you grow and handle the world on their own is 'realist' and just fucking crazy and taking it too far. There is lines one does not cross no matter what ends you chase.
This whole 'ends justfy the means' crap that people defend him with just to get him a pass over his actions is fucking ridiculous. I am not like the rest of you and never will be. He's disgusting and low. End of conversation.
i'm not saying he's a good person and that he is justified to kill ragnar i'm saying that he is coherent and does what need to be done,ragnar was an obstacle to canute grow, so he killed him.
Oct 21, 2019 6:08 AM

Jun 2016
nanashi796 said:
Izuru_Kamukura10 said:

i'm not saying he's a good person and he is justified to kill ragnar i'm saying that he is coherent and does what need to be done,ragnar was an obstacle to canute grow he killed him.

So why are you even arguing with me? My point to begin with is that I hate his fucking guts and wish death upon him because he's disgusting and low and rather just take the easiest immoral way out of a problem than think of a better way. And I sincerely hope Thorfinn cuts his heart out but he probably doesn't have one so I'll settle for guts and intestines as compensation.
If you're not even denying he's low piece of shit then why are you even arguing with me?
Gift by Mimurona

Oct 21, 2019 6:22 AM

May 2015
Izuru_Kamukura10 said:
nanashi796 said:
i'm not saying he's a good person and he is justified to kill ragnar i'm saying that he is coherent and does what need to be done,ragnar was an obstacle to canute grow he killed him.

So why are you even arguing with me? My point to begin with is that I hate his fucking guts and wish death upon him because he's disgusting and low and rather just take the easiest immoral way out of a problem than think of a better way. And I sincerely hope Thorfinn cuts his heart out but he probably doesn't have one so I'll settle for guts and intestines as compensation.
If you're not even denying he's low piece of shit then why are you even arguing with me?
there was no better way to make canute grow up in that low span of time,it's a gamble if canute grow than he was right and he follow him and make him the king,if he doesn't grow he abandon him.
Oct 21, 2019 6:28 AM

Jun 2016
nanashi796 said:
Izuru_Kamukura10 said:

there was no better way to make canute grow up in that low span of time,it's a gamble if canute grow than he was right and he follow him and make him the king,if he doesn't grow he abandon him.

So you argued with me to justify his actions as if it was alright. Oh my god..
He just wanted to take the easy and sure way rather than think of an alternative. He barely tried an alternative instead just forced Canute to act like a boss suddenly in Wales like it was that simple. No hard attempts in getting Ragnar to help Canute grow after realizing Canute was too timid in Wales or talk with Canute or anything like this. He just wanted to take the easiest even if it means immoral way. That is Askeladd and that's why I say fuck him.
How was he gambling? He didn't even know about the situation between the two factions or about the King so there was no time limit in his head. He already wanted to kill him beforehand. And anyways, he gambled his fucking ass the moment he got involved in a war that had nothing to do with him for personal gain. He got himself into this to start with and all the atrocities he's committing is his responsibility and his alone along with his Dane buddies.
Stop giving me this narrative that he's a victim of his circumstances. He got himself into this to start with so everything he's doing is on him. Fuck him.
Izuru_Kamukura10Oct 21, 2019 6:34 AM
Gift by Mimurona

Oct 21, 2019 6:36 AM

May 2015
Izuru_Kamukura10 said:
nanashi796 said:

He just wanted to take the easy and sure way rather than think of an alternative. That is Askeladd and that's why I say fuck him.
How was he gambling? He didn't even know about the situation between the two factions or about the King so there was no time limit in his head. He already wanted to kill him beforehand. And anyways, he gambled his fucking ass the moment he got involved in a war that had nothing to do with him for personal gain. He got himself into this to start with and all the atrocities he's committing is his responsibility and his alone along with his Dane buddies.
Stop giving me this narrative that he's a victim of his circumstances. He got himself into this to start with so everything he's doing is on him. Fuck him.
he can't achieve his goal in his life he's old,he wants to entrust his dream to canute,that's why he protect him,btw he is an honorable man he maintain the promises he made,he made a promise with thors to not kill thorfinn and the others,he took thorfinn with him and let the others go away without killing anyone,he made a promise with ragnar to protect canute,he protects him.
nanashi796Oct 21, 2019 6:40 AM
Oct 21, 2019 6:39 AM

Jun 2016
nanashi796 said:
Izuru_Kamukura10 said:

He just wanted to take the easy and sure way rather than think of an alternative. That is Askeladd and that's why I say fuck him.
he can't achieve his goal in his life he's old,he wants to entrust his dream to canute.

And so he took the cheap and dirty way. He never tried hard enough on an alternative. Never talked more to Ragnar of the importance of getting Canute to grow in order to encourage Ragnar to force things along or talk with Canute or any other way of getting Canute to grow. He just wanted play low and disgusting to get it easy. I already stated what I think and not going to repeat what I said because you've hardly made a case for him. Read over what I wrote before this post because you probably missed my edits. If you think he's this guy who's a victim of his circumstances than a guy who got himself into this mess and uses immoral and disgusting methods to get his way then I'm not going to waste my time anymore.
Gift by Mimurona

Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Mulanjyou sounds different on Apple Music

Raionshin19 - Jun 3

20 by Raionshin19 »»
Jun 6, 8:19 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

272 by MainAxe9880 »»
Jun 5, 3:00 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

167 by MainAxe9880 »»
Jun 5, 2:28 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

803 by FarCritical »»
Jun 4, 8:18 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2019

188 by FarCritical »»
Jun 4, 2:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.