Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 25, 2019 1:23 PM

Sep 2014
Best episode so far and beautifully adapted at that. Best girl Thorkell at the end made the finale pure hype!
Aug 25, 2019 2:07 PM

Mar 2017
Thorfinn could've won that duel if he hadn't let Askeladd goad him like that but that's something he's learnt now so next time he'll be even stronger! I can't believe Askeladd actually fucking broke his arm though 😤

I found the scene where Thorfinn was describing Vinland to the slave girl really sad... they're both hurting from their past and i found it sweet that Thorfinn shared that hope with her.

I can't believe how much i'm learning from this series too. Obviously, as a British person i know most of the history but it's always been very patchy and i got confused with the chronology but this anime is teaching me sooooo much
Aug 25, 2019 3:00 PM

Aug 2019
Really enjoyed this episode. The duel between Thorfinn and Askeladd was interesting, and I don't think there's much of a gap in ability anymore between the two. Thorfinn was more than holding his own until his opponent started playing psychological warfare.

Askeladd's clearly the more experienced warrior, capable of thinking on his feet and knowing which buttons to push to expose his enemies weaknesses and take advantage, whilst Thorfinn is still prone to letting his emotions get the better of him.

The OST is the 2nd half of the EP was really good. I see Best Girl has made an appearance too.

xenosysAug 25, 2019 3:09 PM
Aug 25, 2019 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
magictuch said:
HopefulNihilist said:
I really loved the more quiet scenes in this episode. I feel like Vinland Saga really shines with these kind of scenes.

This. I can't stress enough how great it is to finally see anime that utilizes "show, don't tell" so well and thus showcases great characters and writing overall in it's fullest.

We don't go into characters mind, noone mumbles/narrates how he feels or what he sees - it's all in the lines, facial expressions, actions.

I don't understand: where in this episode did it display "show don't tell"?

K1ngOfSloth said:
There passed more than one year since Thors' dead right? Kinda sounded like they come back to their village every year but no one seemed to know Thorfinn... But he's been with them for a couple years now right

Yeah, that is weird. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. I guess even this series isn't perfect.

@Illyricus

"Virginn"
"Chaskeladd"
Lol!
Aug 25, 2019 3:33 PM

May 2019
As a non-manga reader, the series has been amazing so far. Also, the opening and ending songs are very good.

But for this episode, I facepalmed when Thorfinn immediately fell for Askeladd's cheap trick. Such a shounen MC thing to do...
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Aug 25, 2019 3:46 PM
Aug 2014
Maybe "hoard the land" knows "hold the door"
Aug 25, 2019 4:13 PM

Nov 2014
that axe throw in the end is fucking crazy! Thorkell sure is a force to be reckoned with! He also looks like Askeladd... :/

Thorfinn definitely needs to work on his control more. The worst thing you can let happen to you is allow your emotions to control your actions. When he's overwhelmed with rage, his swings become unnecessarily big which exposes the rest of his body open to attacks.

Can't wait to see Canute's face animated.

beminim said:
He started as a kid yes, but he is still a guy. That girl just by being a girl has way more things to worry about.

Like what? I see no difference. She could easily assassinate her master when he's sleeping. Size is no difference when it comes to silent, stealthy attacks. It's her innocence that is in the way. She has to get it through her head that in the time period she lives in it's kill or be killed.
ttcchenAug 25, 2019 4:22 PM
Aug 25, 2019 4:14 PM

Oct 2017
K1ngOfSloth said:
There passed more than one year since Thors' dead right? Kinda sounded like they come back to their village every year but no one seemed to know Thorfinn... But he's been with them for a couple years now right

Thorfinn's skills are really good ngl. His emotions really get in the way tho

And damn Thorkell.. Talkin 'bout badass

He is one guy out of a crew of 93-100 guys. Most would just think of him as some kid or thrall slave and wouldn't pay attention to him. Even in the manga it's implied this is the first time really Thorfinn showed his abilities to the village.

Finally get to see Canute and his bodyguard plus Thorkell excited for what is to come.
Aug 25, 2019 4:43 PM

Aug 2012
I like Askeladd more and more each episode.
Aug 25, 2019 4:47 PM
Feb 2009
god dang feel bad for the slave girl and thorfinn with that flashback can't wait for next week episode
Aug 25, 2019 4:51 PM
Oct 2016
Probably Thorfinn will fight again against Askeladd

Because I refuse to believe that this was their main fight.

because if it was it was very disappointing 😐
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 25, 2019 4:51 PM

Jul 2017
So the pirate boys have finally made it home.
Well well, never expected Askeladd's village to be one war-loving country. Plus that harem...(though I swear they snug a male VA in that midst for gender equality).

Finally the fuel between Askeladd and Thorfinn gets underway. Master manipulator if I could call one, on top with his cunning psychological talk that defeated Thorfinn mentally.

The moment where the slave girl Hordaland and Thorfinn really clicked was one of admonishment about their own future. Everyone is a slave to something.

Some important people are on the way...Canute and Thorkell the Tall. The moment the axe came in, it was brutal.

Another filler episode(?), but as is with the past, it was done exceptionally well and adds to characterization.
KANLen09Aug 25, 2019 5:00 PM
Aug 25, 2019 4:56 PM
Jul 2018
ttcchen said:
that axe throw in the end is fucking crazy! Thorkell sure is a force to be reckoned with! He also looks like Askeladd... :/

Thorfinn definitely needs to work on his control more. The worst thing you can let happen to you is allow your emotions to control your actions. When he's overwhelmed with rage, his swings become unnecessarily big which exposes the rest of his body open to attacks.

beminim said:
He started as a kid yes, but he is still a guy. That girl just by being a girl has way more things to worry about.

Like what? I see no difference. She could easily assassinate her master when he's sleeping. Size is no difference when it comes to silent, stealthy attacks. It's her innocence that is in the way. She has to get it through her head that in the time period she lives in it's kill or be killed.
like she could get raped? just look at the environment.
Aug 25, 2019 6:03 PM

Nov 2018
K1ngOfSloth said:

Thorfinn's skills are really good ngl. His emotions really get in the way tho

And damn Thorkell.. Talkin 'bout badass

Thorfinn dosent realy stand out, he is just a kid for most, no one realised he was from Askellad's crew until the duel.
Aug 25, 2019 6:07 PM
Jan 2019
Good episode! At last we could see the duel between Thorfinn and Askeladd, Thorfinn was fighting very well, but Askeladd is a cunning old man and with his words he opened Thorfinn's wound, which made Thorfinn lose control and get carried away with rage. True, he is not ready yet, it is painful, but he must learn to control his emotions. The slightest mistake in a fight could mean death.

It was a sad and moving scene when Thorfinn talks to his father, Thors, in a dream. My heart broke instantly. And also when he spoke to the slave girl, Hordaland, about Vinland.

On the other hand, the war between the Danes and the English has resumed its course. Now there is much more action. That damn Floki is still alive, although he looks much older than Askeladd.

Ps: I know this is not that kind of anime, but I already matched Thorfinn with Hordaland, although I better completely forget about that.

"We are all slaves of something."
Aug 25, 2019 6:25 PM

May 2011
Thorfinn saying he has no idea how being a slave feels like to Hordaland but ironically he doesn't realise that he's technically a slave to Askeladd. I guess he'll figure that out someday...

Good episode.
Aug 25, 2019 6:27 PM

Sep 2017
great episode! things are getting better and better.
Aug 25, 2019 6:38 PM
Jul 2017
I can't wait 1 more week for 1 more episode T_T
Great character development, great fight, cool emotions when Thors come back in Thorfinn's dream. 5/5 episode.
Aug 25, 2019 7:04 PM

Nov 2014
beminim said:
ttcchen said:

1. anyone can get raped 2. all she gotta do is kill him in his sleep and escape during the night.
Aug 25, 2019 7:08 PM
Jul 2018
ttcchen said:
beminim said:
1. anyone can get raped 2. all she gotta do is kill him in his sleep and escape during the night.
1. women are more prone to rape than men. 2. not really, there are many things that can happen while she escapes.Even if she didn't have the mentality of not killing, which is stupid of her in the conditions she's in anyway, it is a very low chance of her actually escaping without any problems.
Aug 25, 2019 7:38 PM

Nov 2014
beminim said:
ttcchen said:
1. women are more prone to rape than men. 2. not really, there are many things that can happen while she escapes.Even if she didn't have the mentality of not killing, which is stupid of her in the conditions she's in anyway, it is a very low chance of her actually escaping without any problems.
2. it wouldn't make a difference if she were a guy. whether you're a male or a female won't determine whether you can escape successfully at night. Just because ur a woman doesn't mean ur destined to fail.
Aug 25, 2019 7:48 PM
Jul 2018
ttcchen said:
beminim said:
2. it wouldn't make a difference if she were a guy. whether you're a male or a female won't determine whether you can escape successfully at night. Just because ur a woman doesn't mean ur destined to fail.
Never said that she was destined to fail for being a woman. She has less chances of making it because she is not trained in anything, has no desire whatsoever to attempt to learn how to fight, and she might be afraid.
Aug 25, 2019 8:11 PM

Nov 2014
beminim said:
ttcchen said:
Never said that she was destined to fail for being a woman. She has less chances of making it because she is not trained in anything, has no desire whatsoever to attempt to learn how to fight, and she might be afraid.
yeah but it's not gonna make any difference if she's a guy, is it? if like u said she being a girl would worry about failing due to lack of training, then even if she's a guy he'd still have to worry about failing due to lack of training. and as a slave in that time period people can do anything to you and you can't say no so even if girls have a higher chance of being raped as a male slave in that time period you can't really say that his chances are low
Aug 25, 2019 8:35 PM

Dec 2016
It's official the Vikings either knew Judo or invented it.
Aug 25, 2019 8:52 PM
Jul 2018
BourBon-7so said:
operationvalkyri said:
The show moves between action and softer emotional scenes so well. I hate Askeladd for playing mind games with Thorfinn. Seems to be his MO since he did the same with Thors - when he's losing he distracts.

he's teaching him a lesson , Thorfinn is no match for Askeladd obviously .
Really? It seemed that Thorfinn had the upper hand throughout most of the duel until Askeladd figured out a way to rile him up. Nothing from the exchange up until that point had hinted that Askeladd was only pretending to lose to teach him a lesson. Now I'm confused.
Aug 25, 2019 8:56 PM

Jun 2019
This was a really great episode! I felt the past few weren't as good so this was a nice change of pace.

That scene with Thorfinn and his father was definitely the best part the episode. I also liked the scene between Thorfinn and the slave girl. I though Askeladd's commentary on his uncle's slavery to money was pretty clever as well.

I was exited when Canute showed up. I've never read the manga but I saw him on the characters section so I was curious when he'd appear.

I'm a big history/geography buff so I got chills when Londinium was shown on the map.

We're 1/3 through and I'm really excited for the next episode! It's just a shame I have to wait an entire week!
Aug 25, 2019 9:02 PM

Dec 2013
Thorfinn has definitely grown as a fighter over the years but he gave into Askeladd’s taunts way too easily.

Nice to see Thorkell. My favourite character in the series.
Aug 26, 2019 12:13 AM
Aug 2019
HopefulNihilist said:
magictuch said:

This. I can't stress enough how great it is to finally see anime that utilizes "show, don't tell" so well and thus showcases great characters and writing overall in it's fullest.

We don't go into characters mind, noone mumbles/narrates how he feels or what he sees - it's all in the lines, facial expressions, actions.

I was talking about this series in general, for example, how Askeladd is reacting to the request to reveal Thors final moments to Floki's agents back in episode 5, to which we just see him taking back a bit, lowering his head and just replying that Tnhors' death was nothing special. You can clearly see it was not what he believed himself, but why did he say that? Was it not to give Floki something to relish on? Or was Askeladd trying to downplay his death because that's what he wants to believe? We don't know, but that's for the better since it certainly establishes that something is not that easy about the way Askeladd thought of Thors and sets up his character and his relation to Thors even more.

But in this episode:

- Conversation between Gorm and Askeladd, mostly Askeladd's reaction to his uncle's obsession with money - we already see how Askeladd despises Gorm and later on when he outright laughs at him and calls out the irony we already know were this is coming from and why. He doesn't comment on his feeling about the subject at first, but everything from the context of the situation, the tone of his voice when he asks the question about money and the following silent reaction in contrast to Gorm's monologue is enough to let us know how he feels about the whole issue and Gorm in particular.

- Duel, where we obviously had some explaining from Bjorn to let viewers understand that what we see is more complicated than it seems, but Askeladd's train of thought during entire thing was brilliantly put upfront despite us not going into his head: first we see him being playfull and trying to make Thorfinn relax, but Thorfinn attacks and later on we can see Askeladd annoyed and understanding that he needs to go hardcore on Thorfinn to put him off balance - the way he looks at Thorfinn, how we see him fully concentrated, even during his taunt there were moments where you can see he is stopping in the middle of his taunt act just for a moment to evaluate what effect it has on Thorfinn.

- Thorfinn with Horda interaction was probably my favorite of this episode. I swear I could almost hear Thorfinn's "sorry" being stuck in his throat and then (once his moment of vulnerability passes) we see him shelling back into his pride. His next lines are arrogant as he is pissed that for a second he showed a moment of weakness in front of a slave, her words about how she thought she could relate to him causes him to be even more of a dick and you can visibly see in him how his act progresses downward more and more until finally she opens up to him about how she can't do anything in this world and it resonates with his childhood memories, so it breaks through to him and finally not denying how similar they are he tells her comforting words that he wanted to hear himself. We don't go into Thorfinn's head, he doesn't say that he finally sees them alike and he tells her something he wants to believe himself. We just know it. "Does that land truly exist?" - Thorfinn doesn't give an answer, just looks up into the sky. We know he doesn't believe, but wants to. He doesn't need to say it to the viewer.

Overall, moments like this not only help episode flow better, but presents sort of ambiguity about characters and mystery, we are there to interpret their reactions behind their words and thus can project more and think of a characters in the way we want more.
magictuchAug 26, 2019 12:19 AM
Aug 26, 2019 12:52 AM

May 2019
Another amazing, emotional episode.

Thorfinn is turning into an incredible character, and I'm excited to see his relationship with Askeladd develop.

This really is my favourite anime that I'm currently watching. I can't wait for each new episode, something that hasn't happened for a long time.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Aug 26, 2019 12:53 AM

Feb 2018
operationvalkyri said:
BourBon-7so said:

he's teaching him a lesson , Thorfinn is no match for Askeladd obviously .
Really? It seemed that Thorfinn had the upper hand throughout most of the duel until Askeladd figured out a way to rile him up. Nothing from the exchange up until that point had hinted that Askeladd was only pretending to lose to teach him a lesson. Now I'm confused.

that's the vibe i've been getting since the first dual , however re-watching the scene , it really doesn't look like it , and it might be Askeladd just wanting to get it over with .
7soAug 26, 2019 12:58 AM
Aug 26, 2019 1:04 AM

Jan 2009
Oh hell yea finally we get to see Thorkell.

A man that loves fighting so much that he almost dies from too much peace xD

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Aug 26, 2019 1:06 AM
Apr 2016
Lel0uchZer0 said:
Everyone is a slave to something
I really want to see what askeladd is a slave for

Seems like he is a slave to his personal pride associated with his Roman ancestry. He is wearing Lorica musculata and has at least once sworn on his ancestor with a roman name, rather by Odin. He did so when promising Thors to let his company go unharmed.

BourBon-7so said:
operationvalkyri said:

that's the vibe i've been getting since the first dual , however re-watching the scene , it really doesn't look like it , and it might be Askeladd just wanting to get it over with .

Askeladd does not want to hurt Thorfinn any more than he already did, but he also got a face to keep for his brigade of degenerates, else he might lose his dominating leadership there. It is how it always goes in groups like his. So found a way to quickly neutralize Thorfinn instead of making it a prolonged fight until one of them gets really hurt.
HopefulNihilist said:

K1ngOfSloth said:

Yeah, that is weird. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. I guess even this series isn't perfect.

That's a legit complaint and a good observation on the side of the viewer. It can be easily explained that - it just does not matter - the author did not care to elaborate with diligence on the customs of vikings. Same thing happened with his previous series - Planetes. He deliberately avoided learning about space tech because it would "impair his artistic writing spirit". Creativity, in other words. As you can see here, in Vinland Saga, he again prioritizes artisticism to proper, thorough world-building when the series is deeply rooted into a historic narrative. It seems his series will never reach "masterpiece" tier until he responsibly approaches every aspekt of his storytelling, rather than using only the parts he believes will be the best.
Daniel_NaumovAug 26, 2019 1:12 AM
Re:formed
Aug 26, 2019 1:57 AM

Jul 2016
If there's one thing I learned from this episode it's that I need to pay more attention to the dates, because I got really confused when we cut to the invasion of England bit towards the end. I had to go back and check how far we'd jumped this time. One good thing though, this show has consistently shown the best action direction of any other new show I've seen this year. Watch that axe throw again it's awesome.

So Canute's obviously important, we've known that much since episode one, we just never had a name. I saw those eyes and my first thought was "it's Thorfinn's sister! That's totally whats-her-face-err-Ylva!"
Oh, errr... In the process of looking up the character list on MAL to remind myself of Ylva's name... yeah, I was totally wrong. Never mind! Also that guy I thought was Askeladd doesn't appear to be Askeladd. Never mind again!
Kind of a shame because I want to see Thorfinn's family again. Ylva and Leif were my favourite characters and I miss them.

Hope that slave girl gets to do something later. It'd be kind of horrible to just leave her story like that, but I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility. It has happened before. Lastly, I say this every week, but glad we got to see kid Thorfinn again, even if it was only briefly.
Aug 26, 2019 2:35 AM

Jun 2015
phantomfandom said:
OMG Thors is back! Even if it's just a dream. He's the only thing that make me continue watching. As no matter how much Thorfinn grow he'll never be as big as his father. And Thorfinn will continue to commit many mistakes in his life, I don't have time for that. And I have a feeling that it'll be female's role to soften his heart, can't his heart be soften by male? He needs father role model replacement so it'd be logical (for me) that there's a guy out there that make him realize no one has any enemy.

uh oh!
Aug 26, 2019 2:49 AM

Mar 2019
The boat scene was really nicely done. Very important scene to think about as the story moves forward. And the episode ends with one of the best characters making his intro, Thorkell!
Aug 26, 2019 3:13 AM

Sep 2018
Can someone explain to me why they're attacking in August even though they said they'd wait til next summer to attack? Or is that the next summer already and there was a 1 year time jump?
Aug 26, 2019 3:17 AM

Oct 2017
Great episode.

I liked the duel. Thorfinn still has a ways to go. The dreams sequence with Thors was nice too.

Damn! Thorkell decapitated like 4 guys with that axe! He’s a badass.
Aug 26, 2019 3:31 AM

Feb 2019
Ramy_Stereo said:
Can someone explain to me why they're attacking in August even though they said they'd wait til next summer to attack? Or is that the next summer already and there was a 1 year time jump?

It is the next summer already. Notice the date its written August 1013.

When Askeladd crew returned to that village and had the Askelaad vs. Thorfinn duel it was November 1012 AD.
Aug 26, 2019 3:49 AM
May 2017
"Everyone is a slave to something"

I see Askeladd is Kenny Akcerman's spiritual sucessor, also i hope that there won't be any romance in this story!! Plz
Aug 26, 2019 4:13 AM

Sep 2018
mainavi said:
Ramy_Stereo said:

It is the next summer already. Notice the date its written August 1013.

When Askeladd crew returned to that village and had the Askelaad vs. Thorfinn duel it was November 1012 AD.

Alright then, I didn't keep track of the years. Thanks.
Aug 26, 2019 5:12 AM
Feb 2016
Edylson said:
"Everyone is a slave to something"

I see Askeladd is Kenny Akcerman's spiritual sucessor, also i hope that there won't be any romance in this story!! Plz

Actually, Kenny would be "the spiritual successor" of Askeladd.
Aug 26, 2019 6:21 AM

Jul 2014
Other than a brief bit of exposition about weapon distance, the fight between Askeladd and Thorfinn was an excellently-executed fight scene, even if the animation was limited: we didn't need any more exposition to see how the fight was going, the mind games Askeladd was using and Thorfinn's awareness of his own strengths and weaknesses relative to Askeladd (seeing him jump away immediately as Askeladd goes to grab him is all we needed to know about the physical strength imbalance between the two, while also foreshadowing the end of the duel).

The jump cut to the beginning of the invasion slightly caught me off-guard, but getting a wider view than simply Thorfinn's revenge quest should work wonders for the series.
Aug 26, 2019 7:02 AM

Oct 2018
Only qualm I had about the episode was the Askeladd breaking Thorfinn's arm after the duel to signify it had ended scene. Guess they had to censor that part.
Aug 26, 2019 7:09 AM
Jul 2018
BourBon-7so said:
operationvalkyri said:

Hmm yeah we only have hints as to Askeladd's character up to now. Difficult to determine his true intentions at this point. Looking forward to finding out more about him.
Aug 26, 2019 7:25 AM

Feb 2014
I'm impressed with Thorfinn's fighting skills so far. His swings and attacks have a lot of speed and accuracy to it, but Askeladd decided to taunt Thorfinn about his father, Thors. This mind games tactic worked too easily as a very pissed off Thorfinn swung at him while leaving himself easily open for Askeladd to pin him to the ground and win the duel.

In short, while Thorfinn's fighting skills have improved greatly, in terms to his mental strength, he's still weak.

The slave girl, Horda, got some bad treatment from Askeladd's money loving uncle, but her scene with Thorfinn on the near-empty ship at night was one of my favourite parts of the episode, along with the illusion of Thors returning to console his son from losing his duel against Askeladd. Both scenes were great. =3

A year has now passed and another battle in under way, with the highlighted moment belonging to Thorkell. This freaking madlad threw his spinning axe so fast that it struck four enemy soldiers with ease, with one getting decapitated. I want to see more of his fighting in the next episode, cause that attack of his was crazy, but highly entertaining! XD
Aug 26, 2019 7:56 AM
Jul 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:
Lel0uchZer0 said:
Everyone is a slave to something
I really want to see what askeladd is a slave for

Seems like he is a slave to his personal pride associated with his Roman ancestry. He is wearing Lorica musculata and has at least once sworn on his ancestor with a roman name, rather by Odin. He did so when promising Thors to let his company go unharmed.

BourBon-7so said:

Askeladd does not want to hurt Thorfinn any more than he already did, but he also got a face to keep for his brigade of degenerates, else he might lose his dominating leadership there. It is how it always goes in groups like his. So found a way to quickly neutralize Thorfinn instead of making it a prolonged fight until one of them gets really hurt.
HopefulNihilist said:

That's a legit complaint and a good observation on the side of the viewer. It can be easily explained that - it just does not matter - the author did not care to elaborate with diligence on the customs of vikings. Same thing happened with his previous series - Planetes. He deliberately avoided learning about space tech because it would "impair his artistic writing spirit". Creativity, in other words. As you can see here, in Vinland Saga, he again prioritizes artisticism to proper, thorough world-building when the series is deeply rooted into a historic narrative. It seems his series will never reach "masterpiece" tier until he responsibly approaches every aspekt of his storytelling, rather than using only the parts he believes will be the best.

I still think Vinland Saga is amazing. I mean it's an extremely minor problem in the series.

magictuch said:
HopefulNihilist said:

I was talking about this series in general, for example, how Askeladd is reacting to the request to reveal Thors final moments to Floki's agents back in episode 5, to which we just see him taking back a bit, lowering his head and just replying that Tnhors' death was nothing special. You can clearly see it was not what he believed himself, but why did he say that? Was it not to give Floki something to relish on? Or was Askeladd trying to downplay his death because that's what he wants to believe? We don't know, but that's for the better since it certainly establishes that something is not that easy about the way Askeladd thought of Thors and sets up his character and his relation to Thors even more.

But in this episode:

- Conversation between Gorm and Askeladd, mostly Askeladd's reaction to his uncle's obsession with money - we already see how Askeladd despises Gorm and later on when he outright laughs at him and calls out the irony we already know were this is coming from and why. He doesn't comment on his feeling about the subject at first, but everything from the context of the situation, the tone of his voice when he asks the question about money and the following silent reaction in contrast to Gorm's monologue is enough to let us know how he feels about the whole issue and Gorm in particular.

- Duel, where we obviously had some explaining from Bjorn to let viewers understand that what we see is more complicated than it seems, but Askeladd's train of thought during entire thing was brilliantly put upfront despite us not going into his head: first we see him being playfull and trying to make Thorfinn relax, but Thorfinn attacks and later on we can see Askeladd annoyed and understanding that he needs to go hardcore on Thorfinn to put him off balance - the way he looks at Thorfinn, how we see him fully concentrated, even during his taunt there were moments where you can see he is stopping in the middle of his taunt act just for a moment to evaluate what effect it has on Thorfinn.

- Thorfinn with Horda interaction was probably my favorite of this episode. I swear I could almost hear Thorfinn's "sorry" being stuck in his throat and then (once his moment of vulnerability passes) we see him shelling back into his pride. His next lines are arrogant as he is pissed that for a second he showed a moment of weakness in front of a slave, her words about how she thought she could relate to him causes him to be even more of a dick and you can visibly see in him how his act progresses downward more and more until finally she opens up to him about how she can't do anything in this world and it resonates with his childhood memories, so it breaks through to him and finally not denying how similar they are he tells her comforting words that he wanted to hear himself. We don't go into Thorfinn's head, he doesn't say that he finally sees them alike and he tells her something he wants to believe himself. We just know it. "Does that land truly exist?" - Thorfinn doesn't give an answer, just looks up into the sky. We know he doesn't believe, but wants to. He doesn't need to say it to the viewer.

Overall, moments like this not only help episode flow better, but presents sort of ambiguity about characters and mystery, we are there to interpret their reactions behind their words and thus can project more and think of a characters in the way we want more.

Wow. I'm surprised and impressed that you're able to spot subtle scenes like that so well. I'm guessing you pay more attention to the anime you watch than the average viewer, including me. Your explanation made me love this series more. Thanks.
removed-userAug 26, 2019 8:00 AM
Aug 26, 2019 9:09 AM

Sep 2017
Thorfinn's an idiot for getting blinded by revenge during the fight against Askeladd, he should have stayed calm but...eh. It was a good fight though
Aug 26, 2019 9:29 AM

Mar 2018
Damn I love how Askeladd treats Thorfinn, looks like he's the actual Troll. The story really captures the admirable aspect of these times, despite the gruesome brutality there were some strong survivors and leaders.

Such a great character and I love the relationship he has his with his crew in contrast to the Jomsvikings.
Explains Thor's scars and why he didn't have the words his son needed to hear. There's all these different clans who fall under the same group but don't operate in the same way.

I wonder if he'll tell Thorfinn who paid for his father's head. Would help him realize that all this talk about honour is another tool for powerful people who seek obedience. Maybe he'll get over his pride and even his revenge. Or maybe I'm too hopeful and don't want Askeladd to die :(, that dude got everything man. Either way can't wait for Thorfinn's growth
poop
Aug 26, 2019 9:39 AM

Dec 2016
askeladd coninues to train thorfinn through the duels, and thorkell's finally been adapted. looking forward to seeing him next week.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Aug 26, 2019 10:00 AM
May 2015
Fantastic episode
People who are mad/annoyed at Thorfinn losing his calm need to remember he is 16, it's easy to get under his skin, he's immature and has a very narrow view of the world.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2019

256 by FarCritical »»
Yesterday, 12:58 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by FarCritical »»
Yesterday, 12:25 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2019

174 by FarCritical »»
May 29, 11:17 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2019

329 by FarCritical »»
May 29, 8:09 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2019

397 by FarCritical »»
May 27, 12:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.