Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 7, 2019 12:00 PM

Dec 2015
"Hey now, don't kill me! I'll let you all look at my man boobies!"

Lol what a bad episode. Having an intersex character is fine and all, disorders like that happen, but this was such a poorly written episode.
Aug 7, 2019 12:05 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Tatsuya said:
EcchiGodMamster said:

Oh yeah I felt the same way, can't wait for the 1/10 review incoming starting with something like, "as a hermaphrodite person myself I can say this shit takes it too lightly..."

right? this is what we have to deal with nowadays lol

penguindrum264 said:

lmao why do you care so much about people relating to a character to the point that you're getting bent out of shape over the SJW boogeyman? The character is also bisexual in the manga, it would be funny to see your reaction to that if they kept that in there.

if SJW's were nothing more than a boogeyman then i wouldn't be mentioning them

Don't get me started, it makes me have trouble playing a female character in western games these days because half the time i think it's something involving the empowerment movement.[/quote]

pfft.. when theyre even affecting JAPANESE games like FF7, you know theres problem...

let alone games like Mortal Kombat which have had sexualized female characters THIS WHOLE TIME and no one cared until now

Aug 7, 2019 12:12 PM

Apr 2012
Nim0174 said:
the bestestest most supreme trap of all time

Tsukizono said:
I ship Ulgar and Luca.

Luca also admits that he's bisexual in the manga (as well as calls Kanata "hot" and Aries "pretty"), which is sadly removed in the anime:

haha i know right
they fit perfectly xD

i love it

[spoiler="plot spoilers"]He is bisexual, but as far as I remember, this never gets any development and they do not become a couple. So, with the same success, you can ship Quitterie with Lun Hua, because they have a certain interaction and the first “even” called the last “cute”.

@penguindrum264 You say so, as if bisexuality is something weird and shameful. In any case, the modern Western audience is extremely problematic in perceiving any such things, so I would rather prefer to ignore the discussions of such themes.[/spoilers]

Mod edit: added spoiler tag
BarnaldAug 9, 2019 10:13 AM
Aug 7, 2019 12:30 PM

Jul 2012
THE. PLOT. THICKENS.

So, is Charce the traitor? Or is that another miss? Tune in next week to find out.

Luca's situation is kinda funny to me, because for few first episodes I was sure he was a girl. Little did I know, he actually IS a girl. Intuition banzai!

Episode was interesting, we got two backstories and they were both pretty grim. Kanata is kind of closing in on the reason why they were target of assasination.
Awesome signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2019 12:38 PM

Apr 2012
@HDVision

Aug 7, 2019 12:39 PM

Sep 2017
What kind of retards who would just stay chilling near the coast after earthquake happened????
Aug 7, 2019 12:52 PM

Jan 2016
Tsukizono said:

I can assure you that your claim that "SJWs and the west is forcing these tropes on anime" is totally false because Astra is (likely) inspired by a really old manga from the 70s called They were Eleven which is about A BUNCH OF SCHOOLKIDS IN SPACE WITH A POSSIBLE TRAITOR, which ALSO FEATURES AN INTERSEX MAIN CHARACTER. I think it's where Shinohara got the inspiration for Luca from.

Wow, somebody else who's heard of There Were 11. Haven't actually watched it yet, (anime club in college showed it at one point but I couldn't be there that day) but I thought it was all but forgotten.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Aug 7, 2019 1:01 PM

Apr 2019
RobertBobert said:
Nim0174 said:
the bestestest most supreme trap of all time

haha i know right
they fit perfectly xD

i love it

He is bisexual, but as far as I remember, this never gets any development and they do not become a couple. So, with the same success, you can ship Quitterie with Lun Hua, because they have a certain interaction and the first “even” called the last “cute”.

@penguindrum264 You say so, as if bisexuality is something weird and shameful. In any case, the modern Western audience is extremely problematic in perceiving any such things, so I would rather prefer to ignore the discussions of such themes.

yea which is kinda sad
i'd have loved for that one to sail.

HDVision said:
THE. PLOT. THICKENS.

So, is Charce the traitor? Or is that another miss? Tune in next week to find out.

Luca's situation is kinda funny to me, because for few first episodes I was sure he was a girl. Little did I know, he actually IS a girl. Intuition banzai!

Episode was interesting, we got two backstories and they were both pretty grim. Kanata is kind of closing in on the reason why they were target of assasination.

not just funny to you mate xD i was surprised at first as well
who would have expected both to be true, it was funny reading the discussions so far people couldn't decide between the two but turns out its both xD
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 7, 2019 1:06 PM

Apr 2012
Nim0174 said:
RobertBobert said:

He is bisexual, but as far as I remember, this never gets any development and they do not become a couple. So, with the same success, you can ship Quitterie with Lun Hua, because they have a certain interaction and the first “even” called the last “cute”.

@penguindrum264 You say so, as if bisexuality is something weird and shameful. In any case, the modern Western audience is extremely problematic in perceiving any such things, so I would rather prefer to ignore the discussions of such themes.

yea which is kinda sad
i'd have loved for that one to sail.

Why is it sad? They don't have their own love interests, so you can ship them however you want. I just wanted to say that the author clearly considers them as a kind of "Bro subplot", but they don't have canonical romance between each other or with anyone else, so you are free.
Aug 7, 2019 1:11 PM

Jun 2017
Luca...what kind of trap is this. The way he trolls Ulgar is hilarious tho.

Charce busted? lol

He did give some pretty suspicious smiles up until now so I am not that surprised.

Aug 7, 2019 1:28 PM

Apr 2019
Spaceship said:
The wave on the planet reminded me of the one in Interstellar.

The dramatic scenes were a little contrived, but nothing out of character for the show. 7/10 this week.

Yeah, right!? Maybe was inspired by,who knows?

And how this anime is being a sweet surprise in this season!

Now, just to know...nobody used that word but, is Luca hermaphrodite then? Because in that occasion I would take a risk and ask "what do you have between your legs then?"
Aug 7, 2019 1:33 PM

Sep 2011
The start felt a bit silly, but I felt for Ulgar. The one person who cared about him was most certainly killed, and trying to avenge him was the only thing that kept him going. And I don't blame him with what his own father said. But well, things worked out. This wasn't what I was expecting either, but Luca being an intersex is really interesting. It isn't something you normally see portrayed in anime like this, and so far it feels positive too. Everyone accepted him with no problems, and with nearly no change in treatment. And now he is closer to Ulgar than ever with all the teasing. xD

Kanata rescuing Ulgar was really cool too, as Luca said, Kanata is really "kakkoii." Ulgar said to Luca that he didn't want to deepen Kanata's trauma, but he still didn't feel like being saved after he jumped for him at first. But well, Kanata trained for this and it paid off, he had the physical strength he needed this time. I also liked that he trusted Ulgar with the gun, and that Ulgar kind of saw his brother in Kanata. But now it's time to get to know more about Charce, and why he has been lying. Can't wait for the details. Oh, and Aries trying to make Kanata feels jealous was funny and kind of cute too, but he didn't even notice it. xD Well, I don't blame him, knowing more about Charce sounded good indeed. lol
Aug 7, 2019 1:43 PM

May 2018
Ok, so nither Ulgar nor Luca were the the enemy and we get to know Luca and Ulgar's backstory........were Luca is an intersex, "INTERSEX" don't
they mean hermaphrodite , cu'z that's was he/she was???

Whoa, could he be the enemy?????

JiangHaoyi1979Aug 7, 2019 1:58 PM
Aug 7, 2019 1:48 PM

Nov 2011
Seems like a decent amount of people had the right idea about Luca being a female...well somewhat. That was an interesting twist. I like how Luca toys with Ulgar now lol.

Yo Kanata is the man!! I like him more and more each week.

I also think he's better suited with Yun Hua over Aries.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Aug 7, 2019 2:10 PM

Jul 2014
Solid and pretty intense episode from start to finish. Thank the God almighty this is an anime, that Luca stuff that happened almost made me cringe but knowing this was made from Japan that doesnt really let those things influence the story and work they do (at least.. most of the time) then by all means. Luca's backstory was pretty harsh but damn do I feel for lone wolf Ulgar, dude had the only light in his world die, no wonder he see's the world dark. That being said TF is up with this week, cliffhangers are being way too much of a bitch, first Demon slayer, then Dr.Stone and now even this? I am one step closer to just reading the fcking manga.
Anyways as a typical SJW person would say.

I sooo feel Luca, this is what we have to deal with.. every.day.. he/she is so brave, so stunning, so strong, thanks for sharing Luca. #metoo.

EcchiGodMamster said:
obviously japan isn't woke and has been doing this kinda thing for a long time, so idgas... but its hard to watch an episode like this and not think of how the west turns this kinda thing into SJW garbage

I get what you mean, its like it made me kinda shake my head for a moment there with all these SJW shiz going on in the west but then I remembered "Ah wait... this is an anime from Japan.. they don't do shitty empowerment to please the minority" kinda funny how that works cause if this was done from a cartoon in the west you'd know they have some woke agenda going on in there.

-StrayAug 7, 2019 2:14 PM
Aug 7, 2019 2:25 PM

Feb 2014
To think that a simple tease talk could pull out the cover. Pretty buy Charce got duped from his sparkles.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 7, 2019 2:27 PM

Nov 2009
-Stray said:
Solid and pretty intense episode from start to finish. Thank the God almighty this is an anime, that Luca stuff that happened almost made me cringe but knowing this was made from Japan that doesnt really let those things influence the story and work they do (at least.. most of the time) then by all means. Luca's backstory was pretty harsh but damn do I feel for lone wolf Ulgar, dude had the only light in his world die, no wonder he see's the world dark. That being said TF is up with this week, cliffhangers are being way too much of a bitch, first Demon slayer, then Dr.Stone and now even this? I am one step closer to just reading the fcking manga.

I sooo feel Luca, this is what we have to deal with.. every.day.. he/she is so brave, so stunning, so strong, thanks for sharing Luca. #metoo.

EcchiGodMamster said:
obviously japan isn't woke and has been doing this kinda thing for a long time, so idgas... but its hard to watch an episode like this and not think of how the west turns this kinda thing into SJW garbage

I get what you mean, its like it made me kinda shake my head for a moment there with all these SJW shiz going on in the west but then I remembered "Ah wait... this is an anime from Japan.. they don't do shitty empowerment to please the minority" kinda funny how that works cause if this was done from a cartoon in the west you'd know they have some woke agenda going on in there.

lol, the right wings/reactionaries in this this thread would have a heart attack if you discovered something like Shinigami Tasogare or even something like CCS (Granted, you are also kinda clueless when it comes to politics in media, so maybe not).
Aug 7, 2019 2:28 PM
Aug 2013
Well Charles is obviously hiding something, but I still think Zakc is the traitor. I mean seriously, he could pinpoint the center of the earthquake, but didnt expect a tsunami? I call bs, like many other dangerous situations he cause by "accident" or seemingly neglect.
Aug 7, 2019 2:33 PM
Jan 2013
Ulgar's motives are just so freaking idiotic it makes me mad a little, lul
Like, Saske-kun, pls frick off, or whatever, dont go ruining an anime with an already far-fetched af premise
Aug 7, 2019 2:40 PM

Apr 2012
@JiangHaoyi1979 He is a man with an intersex body, which is why he developed an inferiority complex with his male identity. More information will require spoil the main intrigue of all the work, so I will not disclose it.

@Fayrin Could you imagine anything other than acceptance?

@-Stray Lord, why do people continue to perceive his intersexuality as some kind of gender fluidity? His POV remains male even after reveal, not to mention the fact that any near-otokonoko characters always retain their male identity as well. It reminds me of trying to see a trans boy in SM's Haruka, because in one scene Michiru says that she combines male and female nature.

In any case, I find it positive that the Japanese in most cases are able to make good social messages without the toxicity and hypocrisy, as is often the case in the west. In particular, it looks much prettier than the pseudo-western Carole and Tueday, where they approach this issue with a typically western attitude.
RobertBobertAug 7, 2019 2:45 PM
Aug 7, 2019 2:43 PM

Apr 2012
@Bernrika I'm definitely not left and Shimigami Tasogare is one of my favorite LGBT manga after Bokura no Hentai. You want to say something about this, lol?
Aug 7, 2019 2:43 PM

Oct 2017
Charce is not the enemy. It's either Yunhua or Quitterie. First one would be my first guess
Aug 7, 2019 2:44 PM

Jul 2014
Bernrika said:

lol, the right wings/reactionaries in this this thread would have a heart attack if you discovered something like Shinigami Tasogare or even something like CCS (Granted, you are also kinda clueless when it comes to politics in media, so maybe not).

I throw out a slur and it suddenly shows I'm clueless when it comes to media politics.. this is whats wrong with you lefties, then again I kinda do hope I lack knowledge when it comes to politics nowadays, sadly isnt the case but lets go with that, it makes dealing with people like you easier by not having to think and stooping down to your level.

RobertBobert said:

@-Stray Lord, why do people continue to perceive his intersexuality as some kind of gender fluidity? His prospect remains male even after disclosure, not to mention the fact that any near-otokonoko characters always retain their male identity as well. It reminds me of trying to see a trans boy in SM's Haruka, because in one scene Michiru says that she combines male and female nature.

Why are you telling me this? I agree.
Aug 7, 2019 2:48 PM

Apr 2012
@-Stray I get your line about SJW too literally. I apologize. It just annoys me that people are trying to turn his “what it means to be a man” subplot into a kind of trans message.
Aug 7, 2019 3:04 PM

Nov 2009
-Stray said:
Bernrika said:

I throw out a slur and it suddenly shows I'm clueless when it comes to media politics...

That isn't what makes you clueless. It's that you think Japanese people are some kind of special people (Which is honestly also kinda racist, but then again you are right wing) that doesn't have "politics" in their media or inspiring messages or agenda or what's the new buzzword you kids cooked up nowadays. You think Japanese writers don't have opinions and their works don't have anything to say about anything.

It doesn't take much to read some interviews by Japanese writers to figure that i's wrong, but then again you are clueless. You are the kind of person who watches FMA and thinks it's about a cool dude doing alchemy lol.

This was CLAMP 25 years ago, by the way. Of course you reactionaries don't care, but imagine if a western studio had said this lol. Suddenly it's about the agendaaa (Which is bad because... reasons!!!).

Anyway since you are clueless you probably won't understand this post so I'll post a meme that explains it. You are the dude on the right:

Aug 7, 2019 3:36 PM

Aug 2018
An episode rich in emotion & strong revelations about Ulgar & Luca (he/she is a trap lul). I guess we'll hear about everyone's else backstory later on.

However, they also left a doubt about another character, that's a bit too sudden eh.
Aug 7, 2019 3:55 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
-Stray said:

seriously lol.. can't even watch an ANIME episode about a somewhat "cute" backstory without thinking about how shit like this gets out of hand over here

i'd be very surprised if i don't see an article on sankakucomplex about how the SJWs are either jumping for joy OR offended for some reason, idk, maybe that the entire cast isn't lgbtqabcdefg

EcchiGodMamsterAug 7, 2019 3:58 PM
Aug 7, 2019 4:14 PM

Dec 2018
Am I the only one who thought that Luca was a girl when they first made their appearance? Good episode, regardless.
Aug 7, 2019 4:44 PM

Jan 2016
Definitely AOTY now, great writing, art, music. Was always unsure if Luca is male or female so this wasn't so surprising.
Aug 7, 2019 4:57 PM

Dec 2009
Definitely the best shit this season, i already had fantastic vibes from season 1. I'm really glad this is all progressing naturally and not turning into Rokka no Yusha. This show really knows how to deliver quality red herrings, keep the mystery afloat, not reveal too much too quickly, and not dwell on paranoia. By far my top pick of the season.

I knew confirmed right from last episode, and i knew from when he first found the gun, that his story is 100% obviously going to be some kind of revenge plot. There was no way he was the villain, and i pointed that out back then too.

ps: anyone thinking SJW shit has any relevance in japan is a filthy weeb that knows jackshit about japan. feminism has no precedent in japan, social upheaval over stupid opinionated shit has no precedent in japan. traps were essentially pioneered by japanese fetishists. anime has done intersex and futa and femboys and manly girls since forever. some series even have characters that get to choose their sex. it's done for the same reason as any fiction, internal commentary, imagination, maybe thought provoking, though particularly in anime, is usually also about appealing to new ideas & interests. the sole point is for it to be interesting. nothing more, nothing less.

Bernrika said:
-Stray said:

I throw out a slur and it suddenly shows I'm clueless when it comes to media politics...

That isn't what makes you clueless. It's that you think Japanese people are some kind of special people (Which is honestly also kinda racist, but then again you are right wing) that doesn't have "politics" in their media or inspiring messages or agenda or what's the new buzzword you kids cooked up nowadays. You think Japanese writers don't have opinions and their works don't have anything to say about anything.

It doesn't take much to read some interviews by Japanese writers to figure that i's wrong, but then again you are clueless. You are the kind of person who watches FMA and thinks it's about a cool dude doing alchemy lol.

This was CLAMP 25 years ago, by the way. Of course you reactionaries don't care, but imagine if a western studio had said this lol. Suddenly it's about the agendaaa (Which is bad because... reasons!!!).

Anyway since you are clueless you probably won't understand this post so I'll post a meme that explains it. You are the dude on the right:

Hate to break it to you but apparently you don't understand how japanese politics or social agendas work, or rather, how they don't work. See japan is HARDCORE conservative. It takes a massacre to start off the meiji era, it takes 2 atomic bombs to stop expansion policy. It's taken like a century of lesbian suicides for japan to even start considering same sex marriage. People can have whatever the fuck views they want, but ultimately, at least in japan, it's all on deaf ears. Japanese politics are a circus, moreso than american politics, HOWEVER nothing ever comes of it, it's mostly just people arguing with eachother and eventually gets nowhere (and rarely even leaves the circles of people where they were initially argued).

Let me tack on the fact that messages like war is bad or whatever social commentaries there may be ARE NOT POLITICAL IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. They are merely thoughts of the creator wanted to be shared with others... Which is the whole original purpose of art. If there is a message that has political or social implications, it's because it's a question posed or an idea delivered by the writer - which is usually a lonesome mangaka or LN author - with the intent of self-expression.

I would also say that this is why most people are attracted to anime, and why it's interest is expanding exponentially, because it's a bastion of proper artistic media. It's not trying to tell you to do anything or think a certain way, it's not forcing agendas or campaigns or anything. The individual may have those kinds of thoughts, but ultimately nobody cares, because it's media, for entertainment. It exists for those who will enjoy it, end of story. Japan understands this. West uses the colossal industries to buy political interest in media, interest groups will trade money for their view to get injected or emphasized in a production - that's why this shit happens here.
GenesisAriaAug 7, 2019 5:27 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Aug 7, 2019 6:55 PM
Nov 2018
Nim0174 said:
tokidoki921 said:
Who in their right mind would return a gun to someone who just tried to kill one in the crew? That was disappointing but otherwise a good episode.

i would, his motive is clear and its unlikely that he is the killer, seems like a good choice to me.

Seems like a good choice to give the gun to the only guy who has shown he is prepared to aim it at another guy for weak reasons. "Your dad probably did something so you're the one I'm gonna kill."

Immediately switching to wanting to kill someone, even someone you're traveling with - if you think that's a mentally stable guy to the degree that it's even okay to give him control of the group's only gun, then I wouldn't trust you with so much as a butter knife.
Aug 7, 2019 7:03 PM
Nov 2018
Bernrika said:
-Stray said:

"clueless when it comes to politics in media" LOL Socialist pretending to know politics in the media. Nope. It's what pours into your brain with no resistance, fills you up until you open your mouth and it comes out, and you think there's no propaganda there because you can't notice any. Leftists have that personality where you are easily led by those in power, in the case of a democracy the media clique - but then hilariously you like to pretend that you are brave rebels, even though everything you do is conformism. Your comment here is an example of how you are just parroting the slurs you have been fed.

"clueless," the irony. This week I have seen socialist morons throw up the same lies over and over again, even when you are easily proven wrong by overwhelming facts, which you refuse to read because your media haven't shown them to you. So please, kiddie. Don't talk about who is "clueless".
Aug 7, 2019 7:07 PM

Dec 2014
Good episode again.

I felt bad for Ulgar and the way he was treated and Luca's umm sexuality was surprising. I initially thought he was a trap but it turns out he really is a trap kinda thing? xD
The only thing that I thought was a little off was the fact that Ulgar started going on about his backstory while holding Luca at gun point but given the situation it was, I suppose he really wanted to let things out. :(

I love how Luca is pulling Ulgar's leg with his antics. XD

Ending got me curious, who is Charce for real? I don't think that that anyone aboard this ship is a traitor, they don't seem like the type of people but let's see.
Aug 7, 2019 7:23 PM

Jul 2016
Good episode. This episode drop some plot twist, and some exposition. Ulgar and Luca dynamic is nice. And the last scene about Charce, he is the enemy? Or not. To the next episode.

Aug 7, 2019 7:37 PM

Jul 2014
Vader_ said:
What kind of retards who would just stay chilling near the coast after earthquake happened????

The kind that would murder someone because their father might be a bad guy, or forgive him because hey why not. Poorly written retards.
Aug 7, 2019 7:45 PM
Aug 2019
I actually enjoyed this episode. Sure, Ulgar was a stereotypical edge lord but when reminded that these characters are supposed to be in high school, and probably either freshmen or sophomore level, the gaps in his logic are understandable.

I'm gonna put this out there though, I think the traitor is going to turn out to be Zack. While the episode ended with suspicion on Charce, he also has more knowledge of biology than most people specialized in that area. Its possible that he's just in advanced class and doesn't want to stand out. On the other hand, one of the first impressions I had of Zack, besides that he was a genius, was that he was essentially treated as a servant in the Raffaeli household. That just came from some language used when everyone actually introduced themselves, although I was watching dub at time. Furthermore, there's the theory that the enemy was actually supposed to use the ship to escape after being transported Ep. 1. But how would they pilot it? Unlike cars, I imagine a spaceship requires a significant amount effort and knowledge than simply, press gas and turn wheel. Anyone care to share thoughts?
Aug 7, 2019 8:07 PM
Apr 2017
Highly doubt it's going to be Charce this early on in this show. Still think Aries is the most likely villain
Aug 7, 2019 8:51 PM

Jul 2016
Sorry but I laughed my ass off when Ulgar's dad went "it should have been you" mode xD As if the episode wasn't trying too hard to forced him into the victim's role already.

Overall, it was another weak episode. They tried to make Ulgar likeable yet the execution was pretty lame in the end. He received way too much exposition about his character in such short period of time it made the whole scene look really forced.
That aside, Luca being intersexual was an interesting revelation if I'm honest. Though nothing too special either.

Anyways, at least after this episode, Ulgar will stop being so emo/edgy and start being a bit more friendly. Still, Kanata's decision of letting him have the gun in the end was beyond stupid.

P.S.: And also, please, can we stop with the romance approach already? I couldn't care less about Aries' sudden crush on Kanata. Not to mention that the last thing I want to see is a love triangle happening in the middle of space.
Aug 7, 2019 10:14 PM

Jul 2015
I'm actually wondering, whether Ulgar was expecting the others to just allow him back on board after he would commit murder in front of them. Defenitely he didn't thought this plan through.

EcchiGodMamster said:

Yeah, it reminds me of ep 15 of Carole & Tuesday and how they think that Japan is getting woke, not realising that this portray was mere mockery.
PiromyslAug 7, 2019 10:18 PM

Aug 7, 2019 10:28 PM
Jan 2019
Another great episode! How many shocking revelations. The expression I used most during the episode was: WHAT?!
So ... Ulgar's brother died, supposedly, because of Luca's father, Luca is intersex (from the first episode I thought she was a woman, for something it was), and could Charce be the murderer?!, WOW ! This anime gets better and better with each passing episode. You can't trust anyone. Just when I thought things would be better between everyone, this happens.

At least, I'm glad for the little moment of peace and happiness they had.

Ps: Ulgar has a shit father!
Aug 7, 2019 10:33 PM

Jun 2010
oh, I liked this episode. The whole show gets more and more interesting.
Aug 7, 2019 10:36 PM

Dec 2012
Oh, so Ulgar did not point a gun at Luca for being the enemy. He had a personal reason. It seems I was wrong about Luca being the enemy.
Aug 8, 2019 1:12 AM
Jan 2018
I'd like to point out that Luca isn't a Herm. He's a Trannie.

There's a point in the episode that essentially confirms this.

Hard to deny it when there are clear indications when the author inserts like this. "Transient Love"? Nice give away anime...

I don't mind or care if there's a trans, herm, futa or any other gender in a anime or manga. It's when it's so blatantly shoehorned into the narrative like this is where I take issue. Compared to all of the other characters in this show thus far, Luca has actually had the least amount of screen-time or interactions compared to all the other characters.

So this sudden and big reveal reeks of political pandering and real world identity politics in a fictional story and setting. Real great way to disincentivize viewers from continuing a sure fire way to drag the current 2019 political climate into what was otherwise a pretty fun and enjoyable story.
Aug 8, 2019 1:18 AM
May 2019
Fantastic episode can't wait for more especially after that cliffhanger.
Aug 8, 2019 1:34 AM
Apr 2016
Phasferous said:
I'd like to point out that Luca isn't a Herm. He's a Trannie.

There's a point in the episode that essentially confirms this.

Hard to deny it when there are clear indications when the author inserts like this. "Transient Love"? Nice give away anime...

I don't mind or care if there's a trans, herm, futa or any other gender in a anime or manga. It's when it's so blatantly shoehorned into the narrative like this is where I take issue. Compared to all of the other characters in this show thus far, Luca has actually had the least amount of screen-time or interactions compared to all the other characters.

So this sudden and big reveal reeks of political pandering and real world identity politics in a fictional story and setting. Real great way to disincentivize viewers from continuing a sure fire way to drag the current 2019 political climate into what was otherwise a pretty fun and enjoyable story.

You're wrong, because:
1. The manga came out in 2014.
2. Luca has more screentime compared to Yunhua, Funicia, and arguably Charce and Zack.
3. It's not "shoehorned". it's literally part of his backstory. People like him exist. What's wrong with writing it in a character?
4. Pretty sure Luca and this entire series is inspired by They were Eleven, a manga that came out in the 1970s about a bunch of kids in space with a traitor. One of the main characters is intersex, just like Luca. Fun fact, the iconic and super influential shounen manga Devilman that inspired Berserk and Eva (also from the 70s) ALSO FEATURES AN INTERSEX CHARACTER. Political pandering????? This shit existed back in the 70s.
5. Luca becomes the most unique character in the entire series with his unique identity and backstory, I see no problem with this. It's something new and handled well, so it deserves praise.
Aug 8, 2019 2:09 AM

Jul 2017
So it's personal then. Ulgar's pent-up frustration upon Luca's parents, because of his history with his brother whom died but the truth hidden in dark shadows. Too bad that people like Ulgar exist, and Luca's moment when "he" declared his intersexual and adopted history was the moment of change and realization that they (like the rest of Team B5) are destined for death.

Charce cutting the talk from Ulgar and Luca was hilarious, even though it's like a short moment. Regardless, everyone loves from the ordeal with bliss and understanding. Do I see a new ship of Ulgar and Luca?

NEVER WOULD I EXPECT the flower boy to start the assault for Aries too soon. However that's the smallest puzzle. Aries' photographic memory and intuition drew him out of the team's jigsaw puzzle.

Is Charce the enemy and infiltrator we've been searching for?
Another good episode, plus the adrenaline of Charce's eyes had me shunning in fear.
KANLen09Aug 8, 2019 2:20 AM
Aug 8, 2019 2:11 AM

Feb 2014
Good spot to those who thought Luca might be female based on not wanting to swim last ep, figured it was something darker like scars or some shit from abuse (most of the parents clearly dont give a shit about their kids it would seem from that meeting).

Based on that same meeting led me to suspect either Aries or Charce as their parents didnt seem to hate their kids, as weird as that logic might sound, so wouldnt be surprised if it turned out to be Charce after this eps "reveal"

Edit: 100th post

Aug 8, 2019 2:49 AM

Jun 2013
My dream crew is complete!

I got a tanned tsundere, cute loli, a pink-haired airhead, big titty megane girl and A FUTANARI!!!!

Luca the Futa.

Also, I guess Charce is the guy who messed with the controls.
臭い-
Aug 8, 2019 2:54 AM

Oct 2012
RobertBobert said:
In any case, I find it positive that the Japanese in most cases are able to make good social messages without the toxicity and hypocrisy, as is often the case in the west. In particular, it looks much prettier than the pseudo-western Carole and Tueday, where they approach this issue with a typically western attitude.

Hey, I thought absolutely the same. It's obvious that the authors here didn't meant anything by that unlike Carole & Tuesday where it's painfully obvious the target demographic are western viewers (as Watanabe is not very popular in Japan due to all that pandering).

But the problem of this episode is the exposition was generally badly written, the dialogues were more edgy than needed and everything was needlessly exaggerated and brought to the extreme. And again, they were totally oblivious to the danger and whole tsunami situation in the end wouldn't event happened if they were paying at least bit of attention to their surroundings (which is something one would expect by now given their previous experiences).

In fact, the only part that I liked this time was Kanata entrusted Ulgard that weapon as sign of mutual trust, that was nicely done scene.

As for the Charce cliffhanger, don't anyone be fooled, I bet it's actually the same kind of red herring in terms of the potential "betrayer" as Ulgar plot was and I would eat my socks if the next episode there isn't his heart-breaking backstory drama and friends forever conclusion in the end. The show is painfully formulaic in this regard.

And I would also bet every of their parents just wanted to get rid of them (save for Aries' mother only), that plot was made clear the last time. So it's really obvious where this is all going and what twists are coming sooner or later). Not to mention it's clear Zack has also some underhanded motives too.
Aug 8, 2019 3:02 AM

Oct 2011
Bibimbapski said:
My dream crew is complete!

I got a tanned tsundere, cute loli, a pink-haired airhead, big titty megane girl and A FUTANARI!!!!

Luca the Futa.

Also, I guess Charce is the guy who messed with the controls.

yeah its probably him - it bothered me the whole episode..
i guess he had his reasons and that we'll hear them in the next episode.

also i agree on what you said about luca! it fits! liked his character lol
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2019

349 by Xionea »»
May 15, 8:40 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2019

352 by Karva1 »»
Apr 29, 1:43 PM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2019

202 by DebiPS »»
Apr 18, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2019

304 by Sakagami_Tomoyo »»
Mar 3, 5:10 PM

» how this is not more popular.

Sayms - Jan 15, 2022

21 by asalkur »»
Jan 2, 10:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.