Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 16, 2016 3:53 PM

Oct 2014
As someone who's not a manga reader (though I started recently), this was pretty bad. It was nowhere near as interesting as Golden Age, feeling radically edgy rather that dark without being overly gratuitous, the characters were okay but not particularly great, the animation and directing was bloody awful, the sound design was bad (meaning: some of the music was nice but some was just boring and the sound effects were crap) and overall just felt extremely ameteurish. I won't call it terrible but I will call it bad. 4/10
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Sep 16, 2016 3:54 PM

May 2015
Final verdict: 4/10 "Waste of time"
The only thing was good in this anime is the opening and the fight scene in episode 11.

[アウサマ95]
Sep 16, 2016 4:13 PM

Aug 2016
Hate it all the time for more than several reasons, everyone of them was already clarify.

Still hyped for spring 2017.

How?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 16, 2016 4:19 PM

Jul 2010
So, it is over. Here are my overall thoughts. Since everyone talks about how bad it was, I will try to justify it a bit.

It was a bad adaptation for overall manga, but it adapted the "Retribution Arc" well.

Budget was low, animation was bad. But, since the target audience is small, It is to be expected. This is the closest thing we get to a decent Berserk animation. Just accept it and move on.

Censorship, because Berserk is one of the most violent among popular manga. Unless they don't want to drop the volume of the target audience to a tenth, they had to censor.

They skipped "Lost Children Arc" . Honestly speaking, I was bored while reading this arc and it doesn't have much of a relevance to the overall story. Also it had some controversial scenes like child violence so I guess they had to skip it.

They skipped "Black Swordsman Arc" and changed the beginning of "Retribution Arc". They shouldn't have done that. I guess BS Arc would take 5-6 episodes and to cram the Retribution Arc to 12 episodes, they decided to skip it, and also change the beginning to make it somewhat meaningful.

Skipped arcs were important for character development. I think this anime should be watched after reading the manga. I don't reccomend it to people who didn't. But I would deffinitely recommend it to all Berserk fans.

I give it 7/10.

Next season art in the preview looks better. I didn't imagine Schierke's voice as that, was expecting a child's voice.

Alex_TheBest said:
The sound of Gut's sword is like banging a hammer to an anvil,really now.

This pretty much justifies what you say, Chapter 1 Pages 20-21:

OonokamiSep 16, 2016 4:40 PM
Sep 16, 2016 4:29 PM
Apr 2015
Good to see Griffith again !! sounds to me like the prophecy of the return of the Christ .. a lot of similarities
and same idea: people waiting for him to return and create the millennium empire.
This episode was well done, they followed the manga which is good! CGI Zodd is cool too
Shiro Sagisu and Susumu Hirasawa, Thanks for this epic soundtracks !
its been a big pleasure watching this conviction arc adaptation and Looking forward to the Hawk of the millenium empire arc in 2017!
Sep 16, 2016 4:34 PM

Apr 2014
Kaziki said:
orosan said:

how do you know it didnt sell well?

even the haters watching it is selling.

Lmao what the fuck was that supposed to mean?

It obviously didn't sell well by the shit ton of negative reviews it gets everywhere

If it didn't sell well why would they decrease the number of the episodes from 26 to 12?

If you think it had sold well then show me a proof

it didnt decrease, 2nd season is coming next year already confirmed.
Sep 16, 2016 4:37 PM

Jun 2010
So ends the flawed adaptation of the Tower of Conviction arc. Overall? Ehh...

While the season did get better as it went along, it still suffered from the same animation, characterisation and pacing issues as when it began. I'll also never forgive this series for cutting out the lost children arc, since this leaves a huge chunk of the story unanimated (unless another studio gets the rights to animate the entire series properly). That said I still liked seeing Luca and Serpico animated and the sound design was pretty good (Hai Yo [Oh Ashes] made a lot of the more mediocre scenes better). Overall it gets a 6/10.

I am surprised that they are doing a second season. Hopefully the studio improves their animation techniques, pacing and remembers Casca's darker skin tone without fan backlash come next year. That aside I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to seeing the Berserker armour animated, so I'll check out the next season when it drops.
Sep 16, 2016 4:49 PM
Apr 2016
I've read the manga and watched the anime at the same time. It's a overly faithful adaption. Panel per panel, speechbubble per speechbubble (except episode 1-3). Nothing got added, nothing got removed from episode 4 onward. It's a 1:1 adaption.

Anyway, its a extremely faithfu adaption and I give the anime a 9/10.

Zodd, lets rip some haters!
3-RDSep 16, 2016 4:58 PM
Sep 16, 2016 4:51 PM

Apr 2012
I'm not surprised about the s2 announcement since they said from the very start the anime will have 24 episodes. When they cut it down to 12 episodes, split cour was to be expected.
Sep 16, 2016 4:52 PM

Oct 2013
The manga readers are rightfully going out of their minds over this anime, but I don't read manga and thought it was ok. Sure I would have loved to see a decent studio pick this up and can't fathom why no decent studio did... but it's not as bad as everyone says and I quite enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next season even.
Sep 16, 2016 4:58 PM

Aug 2015
Anyone else notice the mob of clones? Shitty 3D, shittier 2D, the only thing I got out of this show is that now I've witnessed abominations equivalent to what Guts has.
Sep 16, 2016 5:17 PM

Dec 2013
Griffith was looking fabulous in this episode!

Faithful adaptation from episode 4 onwards but the direction was still messy and the CGI was still meh. Still could've been worse and I'm looking forward to season 2.
Sep 16, 2016 5:28 PM

Oct 2011
I don't mind the CGI. It was nice to watch some Berserk again.

6/10.
Sep 16, 2016 5:38 PM

Mar 2016
I personally found this series boring, dull, and misplaced. CG should never be mixed this much; CG characters right beside drawn characters, color pallets that hurt the eyes, annoying useless characters. I still love Berserk, I just really hate Shin Itagaki for taking a huge dump on one of my favorite series.

READ THE MANGA.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Sep 16, 2016 7:14 PM

Jan 2012
Griffith is too good for CGI. He was mostly drawn. Ha.

I really liked Nina but it looks like this might be the end of her story. I like her pluckiness. And that she was pure good. But she doesn't have an fighting ability so it is good if she leaves the story now, as I assume she'd eventually get slaughtered.
Sep 16, 2016 7:16 PM

Jan 2012
John-sama said:
I personally found this series boring, dull, and misplaced. CG should never be mixed this much; CG characters right beside drawn characters, color pallets that hurt the eyes, annoying useless characters. I still love Berserk, I just really hate Shin Itagaki for taking a huge dump on one of my favorite series.

READ THE MANGA.

I was buying them but certain volumes totally sold out everywhere. So pissed.
Sep 16, 2016 7:51 PM

Dec 2012
Praise the Sun. Mostly everyone made it out of that chaos.

Little glimpse at Schierke.

Naked Griffith & Zodd making an appearance.
Guts & Casca finally together. Off to another journey.

2nd Season for Spring 2017.

Overall an alright series. 6/10
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Sep 16, 2016 8:37 PM

Jun 2013
Even after 12 episodes, I still don't see any issue with the CGI. It didn't bother me in episode 1 and it never bothered me at all. I'm honestly hyped for the second season.

I don't know how I feel about Nina getting out of that all fine and dandy. Glad Luca survived, the sheer lack of surprise from her just makes me chuckle. Everyone else would scream their heads off while she just watches lol.
Sep 16, 2016 9:47 PM

Jan 2014
Griffith wasn't as beautiful as he was in the films so I'm a little disappointed. Still, I can't wait until the next season!
Sep 16, 2016 11:20 PM

Jan 2015
I mean the adaptation was really good and the music was nice as well as the VA's. Too bad the CGI was terrible. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it as a fan of the manga. 7/10
Sep 17, 2016 12:01 AM

Aug 2015
theultimate341 said:
szympus11 said:
not even close dude wtf are you talking about.. This Anime is trash that's all. They ruined classic Manga with this stupid cgi

aww you mad xd, if you dont like it ignore it's not that hard.

wow such a classic argument,if you don't like it jut ignore it.awww adorable.
Sep 17, 2016 12:10 AM

Oct 2011
Season 2 omg
😲

Griffin and Zodd 😲
For a moment I thought Joachim and Luca were going to kill themselves in the end.
Sep 17, 2016 12:11 AM

May 2016
I found the series to be quite fun~ A pretty decent adaptation if I say so myself. The music and voice acting being some of its strong points. I'm sure that the studio now knows how to improve the series based on the criticisms it got.

Griffith's lips bugged me though.

I'm looking forward to the next arc <3

Sep 17, 2016 12:25 AM

Sep 2012
Serpico had a pretty cool but brief battle moment

That Griff and Schierke tease!

I feel double minded Berserk (2016) overall but I'm happy there doing a second season.
Sep 17, 2016 12:47 AM

Jun 2016
ultravigo said:
theultimate341 said:

aww you mad xd, if you dont like it ignore it's not that hard.

wow such a classic argument,if you don't like it jut ignore it.awww adorable.

Yea it's true if you don't like something it's better to ignore it. Idk why you felt the need to butt in lol. This isn't even a argument, don't know why you thought it was.
Sep 17, 2016 12:53 AM

Oct 2008
It was a fair season ender episode!
Everyone got away safely from the terrible nightmare as soon as the Sun rises!
Nice! Azan also survived!
So many Kushan fodders hoping to restore their Bakiraka clan in capturing Guts group!
Bada/Zodd one of Griffith's minions?!?
Griffith's resurrection was epic!
Skull Knight was cool pinting his sword to Griffith's direction letting Guts know about it.
Nina and Joachim decided to be together and separated from Luca & others.
And Last but not the lease, Farnese decides to follow Guts of course Serpico joins! too bad Azan stay.
LOL @ at Jerome, he instantly have 3 girls!
5/5.
8/10.
Spring 2017 will be S2! will wait for it!

Sep 17, 2016 1:01 AM

Jan 2014
Content or plot wise it was pretty good, but the style and the animation drags the overall score down for me. If they manage to make the next season look more consistent artstyle wise, and maybe up the animation a tad, then this series could become very enjoyable. Excited to see what they manage to improve for season two.
Sep 17, 2016 1:02 AM

Oct 2010
Awful CGI aside, they removed a lot of internal monologue that the manga had. It was integral to Farnese's character development. All I'm seeing here for this adaptation is that she's obsessed with God and decided to drop that at the end but you don't really see why she was so obsessed to begin with.
"People die when they are killed" - Emiya Shirou
Sep 17, 2016 1:27 AM

Mar 2014
That was utter and complete trash

1/10
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 17, 2016 1:43 AM

Mar 2014
Comic_Sans said:

1/10
Agreed. But listen 'ya bandwagoner, go and read the fucking manga.
Sep 17, 2016 1:46 AM

Dec 2015
7/10. (Which means "okay" for me.) I neither hate nor love it. Don't care about CGI. The visualy are okay and I like Farneses char design and the design of the guy always with her. Also his fighting style is nice.

But the comedy has been annoying sometimes.

And I don't like Dark Fantasy that much. I agree with people who said Golden Age arc was the best arc. This probably will be only travelling/adventuring with Guts + some small party and less fights between bigger armies + politics (which I preferred in Golden Age).

Still ... for action it was nice and I'll watch the next season in 2017 as well.

Edit: And someone above in the posts liked the music. I agree - especially at the end/preview I liked it.
Sep 17, 2016 1:48 AM

Mar 2014
ziggy_Z said:
Comic_Sans said:

1/10
Agreed. But listen 'ya bandwagoner, go and read the fucking manga.
I'm too lazy

Pls no h8 m8
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 17, 2016 2:00 AM
Aug 2014
Farabeuf said:
Masero said:
Give it to another studio

Here's to praying that we get news along the lines of "Madhouse to produce 2nd season of Berserk"....LOL...one can dream, right?

A shame that such a classic and unforgettable story cannot get an adaptation from a decent studio with the resources, creativity and talent to make it look good.

But who am I kidding, I'll probably be watching that second season too.

yep, watching regardless.........
Sep 17, 2016 3:28 AM

Apr 2013
Finally it's over. I am fine with CG but the ones used here is admittedly awful. They really can't do human faces and gestures properly.

Nice to see they teased Schierke a little, her voice was a little deeper than I've imagined.

4/10 Not quite the adaptation Berserk fans are waiting for, but hey, at least it's an adaptation.

Sep 17, 2016 4:28 AM

May 2012
Great final episodes. Seeing Griffith again makes this the best episode so far

I can't wait for 2nd season
Sep 17, 2016 4:43 AM
Nov 2015
I must admit. The animation all along this 12 episodes sucks. But the story is beyond awsomness and epicness. I'm sad it didn't have a proper adaptation. But a 2nd season ? That's not too bad if I think about it again :)
Sep 17, 2016 5:44 AM

Dec 2014
It was a decent finale.
That Puck fire attack move, XD Those Rinnegan eyes. XD

Nice to see that all of them made it through that dark night.
Luca is so nice. :)

Zodd appearance was great.
The Griffith rebirth scene was excellently done. Gut's face on seeing him though.

Overall, Everyone does hate on this show too much. I do agree that Berserk does not deserve this treatment and should definitely be treated better but the anime in itself was not really that badly done. Sure the animation along with the CGI was jarring at times but I wouldn't call it atrocious(Probably cause I wasn't expecting much from this department anyway), The fight scenes weren't half bad as well. Soundtrack was fantastic and apart from the random original stuff in the early episodes I have no complaints regarding the adaptation of the Retribution arc.
I'm giving this a 6/10.

Second season next spring, I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I loved the Schierke and Berserk armor tease which looked so damn cool in 2D and I'd love to seem them animated while on the other it would suck if the animation quality is the same as this season. Hopefully the quality improves next year, One can always hope right?
Sep 17, 2016 6:59 AM

Apr 2012
Really did not follow a lot of this episode, not quite sure of the point of anything
Sep 17, 2016 7:06 AM

Aug 2015
So season 2 was announced. I got used to the CGI so I'll continue watching this.
Sep 17, 2016 7:13 AM
Aug 2014
To be fair, this adaptation made me go reading the manga and it wasn't much different content wise. If any it was loyal to the source. Can't believe people hating on it as whole because of one aspect, the animation.
Sep 17, 2016 7:49 AM
Jul 2018
retard ass casca doesn't even know how to function as a human anymore but still after that griffith dick. does anyone here hates her as much as I do? I hate guts for loving her too.
Sep 17, 2016 7:51 AM

Mar 2014
hithummah said:
To be fair, this adaptation made me go reading the manga and it wasn't much different content wise. If any it was loyal to the source. Can't believe people hating on it as whole because of one aspect, the animation.

Then surely you weren't reading Berserk, written & illustrated by Kentaro Miura?
Sep 17, 2016 8:06 AM

Nov 2011
ziggy_Z said:
hithummah said:

Then surely you weren't reading Berserk, written & illustrated by Kentaro Miura?

He probaly also skipped the previous skipped arcs. I was looking forward to those skipped fights.
Then again, this adaptation is still so much better than what I thought It'll turn out. Just proves that Berserk is still good even with shit adaptations
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Sep 17, 2016 11:40 AM

Jun 2013
Luca shouldn't have saved that stupid bitch
Sep 17, 2016 11:56 AM

Sep 2009
It was fine.
Berserk is great which makes it a nice anime.
Sep 17, 2016 12:13 PM

Aug 2014
About time Griffith's bitch ass made an appearance, I almost missed the fucker.

I thought I would end up hating this from to finish but I actually found myself enjoying a few episodes here and there...I guess at this point I pretty much already accepted the fact that Berserk will never get the adaptation that I want so I'm not that bummed with how everything turned out. Hopefully they don't fuck up the Berserk armor too much in the next season.

Leaning towards a 5 or 6/10
Sep 17, 2016 1:22 PM
Mar 2016
Not bad season next. So I guess that would be the last we're gonna be seeing Nina, I do hope she doesn't show her sorry ass chicken shit at season 2.
Sep 17, 2016 1:45 PM
Jun 2013
Well, this anime was a fucking Trainwreck.
it has:
-shit sound design
-stiff animation
-terrible directing (especially the action)
-mixing 3D and 2D in the worst way
-it skipped to much shit
and now they are making a fucking sequel,( because they apparently did such a good job with this version)
3/10 Fuck this shit!
Sep 17, 2016 1:47 PM
Dec 2011
At least Griffith looked beautiful. This adaptation was mostly a disappointment.

Overall 5/10

I pity the people who choose to watch this over reading the manga, they missed out a lot. Even if you are not used to reading manga I think Berserk is a good place to start, since the art is great and all.

I'm someone who started with the movie trilogy and then read the manga. When I read the golden age arc I enjoyed it a lot more and It left me with a much stronger impression.

Oh well, I think it's about time I start reading volumes 22+ before seeing the messed up version in the 2nd season. I originally wasn't planning on reading the next arc soon, but I don't want the anime to be ahead of me xD
Sep 17, 2016 2:05 PM
Dec 2011
EchoFlame said:
John-sama said:

READ THE MANGA.

I was buying them but certain volumes totally sold out everywhere. So pissed.

I started collecting Berserk manga since last year and it wasn't as rare as you make it sound, but when I checked some stores now, I see most volumes are actually out of stock xD

Maybe the demand became higher after the anime started airing?

I currently own up to volume 28, let's hope volumes 29+ won't disappear.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

32 by StyxParadise »»
Yesterday, 6:57 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2016

990 by Bruh69XD »»
Apr 30, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

231 by Qtaro91_original »»
Mar 24, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2016

285 by Ere14 »»
Nov 11, 2023 4:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.