Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 10, 2015 8:27 PM

Oct 2014
Chiibi said:
gabrielrroiz said:
i fail to see how they were well established outside of their relation with menma

Lol you fail at a lot of things.

and you fail to denie my arguments because that seems to be your only answer
Dec 10, 2015 8:33 PM

Nov 2008
gabrielrroiz said:
Chiibi said:

Lol you fail at a lot of things.

and you fail to answer my arguments because that seems to be your only answer

All the kids have TWO personalities; the personalities before Menma died and the ones they gained in adolescence. But the whole point of the show was to tell a story that broke a circle of tight friends and then have them reunite once more as their trauma over one event is reopened, relived, and gradually healed. You seem to be forgetting their relations to each other, however. Maybe you should watch the show again. Better yet, watch the movie.

Dec 10, 2015 8:37 PM

Oct 2014
Chiibi said:
gabrielrroiz said:

and you fail to answer my arguments because that seems to be your only answer

All the kids have TWO personalities; the personalities before Menma died and the ones they gained in adolescence. But the whole point of the show was to tell a story that broke a circle of tight friends and then have them reunite once more as their trauma over one event is reopened, relived, and gradually healed. You seem to be forgetting their relations to each other, however. Maybe you should watch the show again. Better yet, watch the movie.

so their relation with eachother defined them?
no it was the one with menma that did that and the only way for them to develop was for her to be back also what defined ther relation with eachother?
of course it was menmas death
also i know they used to be diferent but the trauma of her death is what defined their traits in the series and the only way for them to develop from that is to have her coming back so saying the idea of the show(witch everybody knows) has nothing to do with my point
gabrielrroizDec 10, 2015 8:42 PM
Dec 10, 2015 8:38 PM

May 2012
Anohana is a terrible show. One of the few shows I have given a one because it is so appalling.
Dec 10, 2015 8:39 PM

Dec 2012
I've shed some tears during a bunch of anime, Anohanna included, though I've never full-on balled-like-a-baby at one though.

Depressing anime is not something I seek out though, more like try to avoid. It's not something I generally enjoy watching either, with a few exceptions.
KruszerDec 10, 2015 8:43 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Dec 10, 2015 8:54 PM

Nov 2008
PoeticJustice said:
Anohana is a terrible show. One of the few shows I have given a one because it is so appalling.

Yet you gave GLASSLIP a better score?

That makes me really question your sanity. lol

Depressing anime is not something I seek out though, more like try to avoid.

I don't really consider AnoHana all that depressing though. I think it's more sweet and hits you right in the feels, especially the ending because everyone was smiling through their tears. They knew Menma was happy.

Dec 10, 2015 8:56 PM

Apr 2013
Chiibi said:
PoeticJustice said:

Depressing anime is not something I seek out though, more like try to avoid.

I don't really consider AnoHana all that depressing though. I think it's more sweet and hits you right in the feels, especially the ending because everyone was smiling through their tears. They knew Menma was happy.

Glasslip has this tho:

Dec 10, 2015 9:01 PM

Nov 2008
I don't care about the stupid chicken. >:/

I just like to eat chicken.

Dec 11, 2015 3:10 AM
Nov 2015
Chiibi said:
Sephiroth666z said:
chibi you are my nakama!

Where were are u all this time sister!!?

YOSHI. NAKAMA DA NE.
XD Oh I have been on MAL quite a while....but sometimes I avoid it because people like gabrielrroizare so ill-natured and trollish. As you can see, they can't express their opinions about ANYTHING without using four-lettered words.
Childish, isn't it?

the ending was the biggest example of forced drama i have seen for making menma last moments streched out as fuck

Menma's final farewell to the five IS A BIG MOMENT and needed to be established as such. It's not forced drama....like do you even get what "forced drama" means?

Here's a better example.

Scene: introduces character we know nothing about.
Introduces more characters we know nothing about.
Suddenly first character dies in a violent way for "shock value".
The remaining group of unknown characters start screaming and crying.

THAT'S forced drama. Trying to trigger a big reaction from the audience without properly explaining why we should care.

Anohana doesn't do that. Anohana character builds and goes into depth about each person so we DO care about them by the end.

making all the personality of the characters being established over their relation with menma is unrealistic as fuck

They were WELL established outside of their relations with Menma and you know they were.

Well gabriel has also his opinion, wich i can surely accept.

About the Anime chibi i can only give you right, i think the same thing. Menma was there to bring the lot together again. To change them. I also found it interesting how each characters feeling was shown to us, how they realy felt. Thats why chibi we are nakama! U understand this anime the way i do.

Also sure i dont search for depressing anime. It was kind of a coincidence, i was on goboiano and just happend to get on it. I was searching for a cool romance anime, well then i tripped over anohana hahaha.
Dec 11, 2015 3:12 AM

Feb 2013
hoopla123 said:
Chiibi said:

Glasslip has this tho:

the chicken motif was obviously copied from true tears
Dec 11, 2015 3:16 AM

Feb 2015
Lets be frank, this series is far more better a single movie. The 12 episodes seems to be boredom; discussing shallow puppets arguing about a ghost puppeteer.
Dec 11, 2015 3:23 AM

Mar 2015
Monstrum said:
Lets be frank, this series is far more better a single movie. The 12 episodes seems to be boredom; discussing shallow puppets arguing about a ghost puppeteer.

I thought AnoHana was well-paced for an 11-episode series. If all the content had been condensed into a single movie, I doubt that the characterisation and storyline would have been executed as well as the actual series.
Dec 11, 2015 5:42 AM

Oct 2014
nimbussnidget said:
Monstrum said:

I thought AnoHana was well-paced for an 11-episode series. If all the content had been condensed into a single movie, I doubt that the characterisation and storyline would have been executed as well as the actual series.

i agree that it would work better as a movie if it did it would not have to strech plot points like proving menmas existence(that should be obvious)or making the final so long that it stops being sad and just feels forced
Dec 11, 2015 5:44 AM

Sep 2009
gabrielrroiz said:
nimbussnidget said:

i agree that it would work better as a movie if it did it would not have to strech plot points like proving menmas existence(that should be obvious)or making the final so long that it stops being sad and just feels forced

Nearly the entire premise was bad; there was no way for it to be good.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 11, 2015 5:53 AM

Jun 2013
lol didn't cry . I hate menma with a passion.
Dec 11, 2015 7:29 AM

May 2012
Sephiroth666z said:
Im preety tough, i never cry, most likely not about movies or anime.
Im a 23 year old male, my hobbies are sports and yes watching anime.
If my friends or my wife wouldve seen me now they wouldnt have believed their eyes.
I cried about Anohana like i cried when i was a little child.
My face was raining with tears.
I never felt so much emotion in an Anime.
But that an Anime of 11 episodes let my tears drop after the second episode and let it rain while watching episode 11. This is a first timer.
That something so little can bring out so much emotion, thats just amazing.
This one broke my hard shell in no time.
Respect for the devolper of this fantastic anime.
Rating: 10/10

Would i watch it again? Definetly, but alone. The embresmant would kill me to watch it with someone else.
anohana is love, anohana is life
Dec 11, 2015 7:59 AM

Feb 2015
Anohana is a little bit overrated show
But it was definitely nice for me too.
7/10
Dec 11, 2015 8:05 PM

Nov 2008
MortalMelancholy said:

Nearly the entire premise was bad; there was no way for it to be good.

Explain to me why you think it's bad. Right now.

I hate menma with a passion.

Menma is a precious cinnamon roll and you are wrong for hating her.

Dec 11, 2015 9:21 PM

Feb 2013
Holybaptiser said:
People talk about sad anime without having watched Grave of the Fireflies and Now and Then, Here and There.
Let me check my list...

Anohana: Scored 1, Dropped
Grave of the Fireflies: Scored 1, Dropped
Now and Then, Here and There: Scored 1, Dropped

They were all horribly boring.

Neon Genesis IMPACTS only needed 7 minutes to induce sobbing.
Dec 11, 2015 9:55 PM

Jan 2012
I got a little teary eyed at the very end. All the episodes before that were too melodramatic for me to feel sympathy.
Dec 11, 2015 10:26 PM
Jun 2015
I think it spent way too much time trying to prove Menma exists, I think the show could have been a lot better if Menma didn't exist and the story was about the hikkimori overcoming his issues and bringing the group back together. It would be a lot more interesting than watching characters deny the obvious for 9 extra episodes and the writers trying really hard to make the unambiguous more ambiguous by adding random plot holes like Menma can't draw when the plot demands it but does it easily when nobody is around.
Dec 11, 2015 10:35 PM

Jul 2013
15poundfish said:
I think it spent way too much time trying to prove Menma exists, I think the show could have been a lot better if Menma didn't exist and the story was about the hikkimori overcoming his issues and bringing the group back together. It would be a lot more interesting than watching characters deny the obvious for 9 extra episodes and the writers trying really hard to make the unambiguous more ambiguous by adding random plot holes like Menma can't draw when the plot demands it but does it easily when nobody is around.

i would have preferred if Menma just appeared in backstories and the story revolved around the whole group overcoming their guilt and hardships about losing a friend they all liked and moving on from the past but we absolutely need a kawai ghost right?
Dec 12, 2015 5:11 AM
Nov 2015
I think menma fit in the story, to be true, i somehow wished that some kind of after story comes, like how they grew up got together and one day they met the reincarnation of menma again.
But hell jeah, menma was cute, mostly the first episode where she was craving for curry haha.
Dec 12, 2015 5:15 AM

Oct 2010
15poundfish said:
and the writers trying really hard to make the unambiguous more ambiguous by adding random plot holes like Menma can't draw when the plot demands it but does it easily when nobody is around.

Not that I fully disagree with the rest of your post, but that is not a plot hole and never has been.

There's nothing in the narrative of AnoHana that pointed at the characters being efficient and able to find the easiest solution as soon as they are introduced the problem. In fact they were in denial for a long while, which kind of has to do with their emotional ties and state of mind.
Dec 12, 2015 5:34 AM

Feb 2015
I feel you bro. Your experience was the same as mine.
I never cried for a fictional show in my whole life and I was known not to be a very emotional guy, I was always a little sceptical about feelings like love, sadness, depression... I thought about them as 'something that my brain should control'. That mainly happened because i never really had a time where i felt the urge to cry or manifest my emotions.
When i started watching anime and I stumbled across Anohana I was a little sceptical and I kept on saying things like "how can you be sad for someone that doesnt't even exist?" and i complained about it on social medias (we all have done that ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)), but in the end I decided to give it a shot. MY GOD WAS IT WORTH IT.
It completely annihilated me. It destroyed my heart. It ripped my feelings apart.
I cried non-stop for about two hours and I was sad for the next three months, even now I get a little emotional when I hear Secret Base or Aoi Shiori.
We can say AnoHana broke my indifference shell and showed me a 'whole new world'. I won't say it changed my life, it would be a little too much, but it definitely changed my perspective about things.
Once again, I FEEL YOU BRO.
(C'mon, cry with me one more time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgzuOXKd6Sg)
Okarin_Dec 12, 2015 5:51 AM
Check out My List here

(Censored) said:
I have no clue what The Devil is a Part-timer. But I'm guessing it has to do with a devil, being a part timer. xd
You can watch Hataraku Maou-Sama!
It's about the devil Satan, who is a part timer in Mcdonald...

YEP
Dec 12, 2015 5:42 AM

Nov 2014
Cried more at the end of inferno cop.
Dec 12, 2015 5:48 AM

Apr 2013
AnoHana's last episode was really strong in sadness indeed. ImO they really did well. Most anime that try to be "sad" don't manage to be as "powerful" as AnoHana was, while avoiding to be felt as simply melodramatic as well.
Also, the ending theme is <3.
Dec 12, 2015 6:29 AM

Nov 2013
AnoHana is amazing.
One of the most emotional anime I ever watched.
Closest anime to AnoHana shall be Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, or Clannad After Story.
Why so serious?
Dec 12, 2015 6:33 AM

Jun 2012
Anohana was great and all, but I don't remember it being so sad that it could make you cry.... maybe a little choked up and heartfelt but I can't remember it being dreadfully sad..

maybe I'm just heartless though...
Dec 12, 2015 9:30 AM
Nov 2015
Okarin_ said:
I feel you bro. Your experience was the same as mine.
I never cried for a fictional show in my whole life and I was known not to be a very emotional guy, I was always a little sceptical about feelings like love, sadness, depression... I thought about them as 'something that my brain should control'. That mainly happened because i never really had a time where i felt the urge to cry or manifest my emotions.
When i started watching anime and I stumbled across Anohana I was a little sceptical and I kept on saying things like "how can you be sad for someone that doesnt't even exist?" and i complained about it on social medias (we all have done that ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)), but in the end I decided to give it a shot. MY GOD WAS IT WORTH IT.
It completely annihilated me. It destroyed my heart. It ripped my feelings apart.
I cried non-stop for about two hours and I was sad for the next three months, even now I get a little emotional when I hear Secret Base or Aoi Shiori.
We can say AnoHana broke my indifference shell and showed me a 'whole new world'. I won't say it changed my life, it would be a little too much, but it definitely changed my perspective about things.
Once again, I FEEL YOU BRO.
(C'mon, cry with me one more time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgzuOXKd6Sg)

Bro i feel you, even after watching now other animes when ever i come across anohana or read the name menma, it makes me choke a lil from the inside.
Dec 12, 2015 9:51 AM

Jun 2012
BurntJelly said:
Holybaptiser said:
People talk about sad anime without having watched Grave of the Fireflies and Now and Then, Here and There.
Let me check my list...

Anohana: Scored 1, Dropped
Grave of the Fireflies: Scored 1, Dropped
Now and Then, Here and There: Scored 1, Dropped

They were all horribly boring.

Neon Genesis IMPACTS only needed 7 minutes to induce sobbing.
Your favourites list tells me enough about your taste to know that you like moe, otaku pandering anime, which is fine. You do you.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Dec 12, 2015 10:43 AM
Jun 2015
jal90 said:
15poundfish said:
and the writers trying really hard to make the unambiguous more ambiguous by adding random plot holes like Menma can't draw when the plot demands it but does it easily when nobody is around.

Not that I fully disagree with the rest of your post, but that is not a plot hole and never has been.

There's nothing in the narrative of AnoHana that pointed at the characters being efficient and able to find the easiest solution as soon as they are introduced the problem. In fact they were in denial for a long while, which kind of has to do with their emotional ties and state of mind.
They don't need to take the easiest solution, its just unbelievable that it took them that long to try one solution which magically didn't work because the writers want to create more drama. There is nothing logically consistent about Menma's nature as a ghost and detracts too much from the show. There are many ways to make the show better with its premise, but its just wasted potential because they wanted to cash in on melodrama and moe.
Dec 12, 2015 7:59 PM

Nov 2008
Sephiroth666z said:

But hell jeah, menma was cute, mostly the first episode where she was craving for curry haha.

No, she wanted to eat egg-drop ramen....which I'm not exactly sure how to create. XD I think it's how they can put an egg yolk into the broth without cooking the yolk or something. o_o

Dec 13, 2015 7:34 AM
Nov 2015
Chiibi said:
Sephiroth666z said:

No, she wanted to eat egg-drop ramen....which I'm not exactly sure how to create. XD I think it's how they can put an egg yolk into the broth without cooking the yolk or something. o_o
oh true hahaha i thought aboutanother anime and mixed it with anohana hahaha
Dec 13, 2015 12:31 PM

Aug 2014
Thread moved and locked.
This thread seems to be more like a blog rather than a thread. Please use blogs for this in the future.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1238 by N1cklz »»
May 30, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 26, 2011

231 by JayBlue »»
May 27, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2011

388 by Grimenio »»
May 14, 9:25 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 9, 2011

328 by Grimenio »»
May 8, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 2, 2011

423 by Grimenio »»
May 8, 5:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.