Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (20) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 30, 2015 9:07 AM

Aug 2014
Tokoya said:
Insertanamehere said:

Lol'd irl
Can't argue with salty purists *rolleyes*

Given that Gil explains the Grail more correctly than anything in Zero just this episode, and there's information about it revealed later on in HF that is also far more informative than Zero, no, the same can't be said about the Grail.
As for Gils character in Zero, given the majority of it consists of "lolol lmao ur shit haha virgin ecksdee mongrel dog lol" he's not particularly well handled there anymore than he is in the VN. I could go into greater detail comparing the two but this isn't the place. If you want to see Gil well handled, see Extra CCC or Strange Fake.

Can't really argue when you don't know what you're talking about *rolls eyes*
InsertanamehereMay 30, 2015 9:28 AM
May 30, 2015 9:07 AM

Jan 2014
Tokoya said:
Saber is a main character and so far most of what she's done in this cour is be a victim to Caster's bullshit. I know that you purists always say that FSN isn't a sequel bla bla bla but it is to an extent and as such UFO are treating it that way....She's a good character and for a popular character such as herself I'm baffled as to why none of you can even appreciate the time they're giving her

Except she has a whole goddamn route for her own character exposition and development. There is absolutely no need to cut out some small parts of her flashback and shit and just shove it into UBW, which needs to focus on it's own thematically important characters of the route.

If they wanted to give exposition to Saber, they could have went and done a Fate route adaption like they originally planned to, IIRC. And no, ''this isn't the VN so they are forced to add Saber expositon!!'' isn't an argumentation. Could have easily done a Fate route adaption first then if they wanted to do that. Not like Kirei got his exposition from the Fate route either so no need to go out of their way to do something special for Saber.
May 30, 2015 9:11 AM
May 2014
Tokoya said:
nocorras said:

Saber is not a main character in UBW.

Gil does not need development is not important to the themes.

What if I told you things got explained in a certain order in the VN for a reason.
She's important to the series regardless if she's not "the main female character" which is what you should say

Yeah, let's just randomly through in a big bad who was barely seen in the first cour and not give any form of development or explanations behind his actions besides being the big bad

I'm sorry, I didn't know that I was reading a VN, I could have sworn that this was an anime

No, Saber is not a main character, I don't mean main female character. Per example, Rin Tohsaka is a main character in all of the routes despite being the main female character in this route but Saber on the other hand is only a main character in Fate Route. But I agree on you for development of other characters like Gil since even if it is not that necessary, this show would be more complete since Gil is one of the few characters that doesn't get much depth and development.
May 30, 2015 9:14 AM
May 2014
WormPriest said:
Tokoya said:
Saber is a main character and so far most of what she's done in this cour is be a victim to Caster's bullshit. I know that you purists always say that FSN isn't a sequel bla bla bla but it is to an extent and as such UFO are treating it that way....She's a good character and for a popular character such as herself I'm baffled as to why none of you can even appreciate the time they're giving her

Except she has a whole goddamn route for her own character exposition and development. There is absolutely no need to cut out some small parts of her flashback and shit and just shove it into UBW, which needs to focus on it's own thematically important characters of the route.

If they wanted to give exposition to Saber, they could have went and done a Fate route adaption like they originally planned to, IIRC. And no, ''this isn't the VN so they are forced to add Saber expositon!!'' isn't an argumentation. Could have easily done a Fate route adaption first then if they wanted to do that. Not like Kirei got his exposition from the Fate route either so no need to go out of their way to do something special for Saber.

I think it was great that the put the flashback and stuff. It helps us see the transition of Saber's development in this route since she does get development but it is kinda hard to see if you haven't seen Fate Route. Saber does get a fair share amount of screentime so it is only fair to have her development more fleshed out than in the vn and I think that's a good thing. I found it good that Ufo adds more to characters like Kuzuki, Gil and Saber.
May 30, 2015 9:15 AM

Jul 2013
WormPriest said:
Tokoya said:

They will do HF for Kirei though.
And they aren't going to do Fate for Saber.
For understanding Saber in UBW without that the viewers had seen Fate, they needed to do little things like that.
But that just my personal opinion.
May 30, 2015 9:18 AM

Jul 2007
Guilek said:
WormPriest said:

For understanding Saber in UBW without that the viewers had seen Fate, they needed to do little things like that.

If we are going to assume the adaptation is standalone, then it is lacking a LOT of things far more important than Saber's sobstory. Like everything that has to do with Shirou. Or lore. Or how anything works.
May 30, 2015 9:20 AM

Feb 2015
@Mathias2001

@Guilek

except its not important TM released Fate route for free in Japan and nasu also stated in the interview that they shouldnt focus on here and than they even didnt bother to adapt the scene the reason why Gil left now its look like Plotamor
May 30, 2015 9:24 AM
May 2014
CookingPriest said:
Guilek said:

If we are going to assume the adaptation is standalone, then it is lacking a LOT of things far more important than Saber's sobstory. Like everything that has to do with Shirou. Or lore. Or how anything works.

First of all, they never said that the adapation was a standalone. They just want to make the Saber development in this route more clear for the ones who haven't seen Fate Route since she does get development in the vn for UBW but you can only spot it if you haven seen Fate Route. Second of all, while Shirou does lack quite a bit, he does have some development, depth, backstory and more insights on his character in this adaptation. They aren't as good as the vn version of it mind you but they are still there and denying it is just beyond stupid.

Now escuze me, I have to look up "lore."

Oh okay, well I think that the studio made it intentional. In my opinion, they wanted people to still be interested in the vn after they saw the adaptation (I mean people would have a reason to go to the vn, for worlbuilding for the ones who are interested in the world and Shirou's views on things). Since really, in my opinion, these are the only things that didn't do as well as other things but they still made Shirou a good/great character and more worldbuilding would make fans complain more than they do now about the exposition.
May 30, 2015 9:25 AM

May 2014
No I agree that more Gil and perhaps a bit of explanation for Saber's ghost arc in UBW for the people who are coming AO is a good idea.

Just the placement was terrible, I mean that episode was Answer ffs. THAT. was Answer.

I'm not easily salty but that episode was a bit of a kick in the nuts, at least it was the first episode were I can say Shinji Shirou was the highlight. I didn't even mind the Reality marble conversion, if you're going for the rule of cool you might as well go all out.

Some swords other than K&B would be nice though, use that budget UFO.

Anyway 6-7/10. Not a score I wanted to give the answer episode.
May 30, 2015 9:26 AM
May 2014
xShigarakix said:
@Mathias2001

@Guilek

except its not important TM released Fate route for free in Japan and nasu also stated in the interview that they shouldnt focus on here and than they even didnt bother to adapt the scene the reason why Gil left now its look like Plotamor

Assuming all Fate Fans live in Japan (...)

The author is supervising the show, if he didn't want to have these insights on Saber than they woudn't be there. This is just to make Saber character development and they suceeded on that. It's not like the whole episode was focused on her like the Fate Route would, it was just to make her character development better and more evident.
May 30, 2015 9:27 AM

Aug 2013
WrongPriest said:

Just the placement was terrible, I mean that episode was Answer ffs. THAT. was Answer.

This is the issue,yeah.

Besides it's not like they gave either of them anything substantial anyway.Same with Kuzuki.
May 30, 2015 9:28 AM

Feb 2015
Mathias2001 said:
xShigarakix said:
@Mathias2001

@Guilek

The author is supervising the show, if he didn't want to have these insights on Saber than they woudn't be there. This is just to make Saber character development and they suceeded on that. It's not like the whole episode was focused on her like the Fate Route would, it was just to make her character development better and more evident.

and why the fuck should japan give a fuck about baka gajins?

and no he dont
May 30, 2015 9:30 AM

Aug 2014
Mathias2001 said:
xShigarakix said:
@Mathias2001

@Guilek

Yeah well they don't care about us outside Japan sorry.
May 30, 2015 9:31 AM

Dec 2014
Everybody so salty... yuetsu.

Jun 2014
xShigarakix said:
Mathias2001 said:

and why the fuck should japan give a fuck about stupid gajins?

and no he dont

on wikipedia it's stated that Nasu wrote the episodes for UBW anime

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinoko_Nasu

Jul 2013
CookingPriest said:
Guilek said:

They released Fate for free, they are going to do HF movie(s), it isn't stand alone.( and they did fate/zero)

We aren't supposed to understand Sakura in ubw, so it is useless to do more for her.
But we are supposed to understand Saber in ubw (thanks to fate), so for me it was important to explain a little what is on her mind in the anime, to be sure people get it.
Now I will watch the episode with french subs. :D
May 30, 2015 9:37 AM

Jul 2007
CutePriest said:
xShigarakix said:

and why the fuck should japan give a fuck about stupid gajins?

and no he dont

on wikipedia it's stated that Nasu wrote the episodes for UBW anime

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinoko_Nasu

And yet he does not even know what is in which episode or eve if something is in episode or bds.

Guilek said:
CookingPriest said:

They released Fate for free, they are going to do HF movie(s), it isn't stand alone.( and they did fate/zero)

We aren't supposed to understand Sakura in ubw, so it is useless to do more for her.
But we are supposed to understand Saber in ubw (thanks to fate), so for me it was important to explain a little what is on her mind in the anime, to be sure people get it.
Now I will watch the episode with french subs. :D

"It is not standalone because literally all explanations and characterization and lore are missing and ufoubw does nothing for hf movies right now, but it is standalone because we are getting saber flashbacks"

Pick one already.
May 30, 2015 9:40 AM

Apr 2014
GradationAir said:
Everybody so salty... yuetsu.

Just another episode discussion.

Although based on this pacing, I'm curious as to how the next four episodes will be like.
May 30, 2015 9:40 AM

Feb 2015
Whatever little we got of Answer..

http://a.pomf.se/psfvls.webm
May 30, 2015 9:44 AM

Sep 2014
I'll be waiting for subs as usual before I watch the episode and say anything more relevant, but I'll say a couple of things.

First, it's important to remember that this series flows much better when marathoned. Nobody sees Archer vs Shirou in the visual novel as 2 entirely different scenes. Did it look like we were going to get much more in ep 9? Hmm, maybe?, But there wasn't much left to happen in this fight even in the visual novel. If anything, episode 9 being on the same level as ep 8 would have been a huge plus.

I didn't think it was impossible for the fight to have a spectacular wrap-up, but to be honest I never expected the rest of it to be that good either. I also thought it was pretty clear we were going to have Gil and Saber stuff in this episode. I kind of doubt the last episode will be 40-min long at this point, so yeah this definitely makes sense.
May 30, 2015 9:44 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Pu55yDestr0yer said:
Tokoya said:
we're sorry that we can't all spread our ass cheeks for ufo and put up with their shit like you
Classic comment from the typical MAL forum user....Not even gonna waste my time with you

nocorras said:
Tokoya said:
She's important to the series regardless if she's not "the main female character" which is what you should say

Yeah, let's just randomly through in a big bad who was barely seen in the first cour and not give any form of development or explanations behind his actions besides being the big bad

I'm sorry, I didn't know that I was reading a VN, I could have sworn that this was an anime

No,I meant what I said, she is not a main character in UBW, female or not.

He gave his explanations in the basement, and they're quite clear, also he should have briefly went over them here and that would take all of 30 seconds to explain what he wanted to do.

Yeah and I don't know why I'm bothering to waste my time, so feel free to be clueless I guess.
So being the servant of and interacting with both main characters/protecting their ass/all that screen time with them counts for nothing?

Development is development, it doesn't matter how long it is, what matters is what happens in said scene and in this case it was far from being unnecessary

The feeling is mutual considering you guy's arguments are filled with bias

Insertanamehere said:
Tokoya said:

Given that Gil explains the Grail more correctly than anything in Zero just this episode, and there's information about it revealed later on in HF that is also far more informative than Zero, no, the same can't be said about the Grail.
As for Gils character in Zero, given the majority of it consists of "lolol lmao ur shit haha virgin ecksdee mongrel dog lol" he's not particularly well handled there anymore than he is in the VN. I could go into greater detail comparing the two but this isn't the place. If you want to see Gil well handled, see Extra CCC or Strange Fake.

Can't really argue when you don't know what you're talking about *rolls eyes*
What I was getting at is that that information provided by him in this episode was necessary so essentially we're saying the same thing

But yeah I get what you're saying about Gil but even then, what is known about him is scarce before this episode

That post wasn't directed at you but unlike most of your fellow VN purists, I'm not shaping up the anime against the VN because that's not the point of anime, it's not meant to be a carbon copy of the source material. Studios are allowed to make changes

WormPriest said:
Tokoya said:

This whole plan to do the fate route was only a rumor and even if it were true we would be having one now would we *rolleyes*

They're not doing a Fate Route ever and as such them adding in things for Saber is good move logically and especially on a marketing scale. How else are people going to find out more about her? You expect people to believe that she was irrelevant in all of this? UFO stated from the beginning that they were treating this somewhat like a sequel to F/Z or did you all seem to forget that?

Mathias2001 said:
Tokoya said:

No, Saber is not a main character, I don't mean main female character. Per example, Rin Tohsaka is a main character in all of the routes despite being the main female character in this route but Saber on the other hand is only a main character in Fate Route. But I agree on you for development of other characters like Gil since even if it is not that necessary, this show would be more complete since Gil is one of the few characters that doesn't get much depth and development.

Guilek said:
WormPriest said:

My hat goes off to both of you

This is what I'm talking about
May 30, 2015 9:46 AM

Sep 2013
It's not really a rumor. Interviews reveal they made the first scenes with the Fate route in mind, when they changed their minds and decided to do UBW. Since the first three days are almost identical, they didn't have to discard any scenes, so that was no issue.

Well, the Fate route is free for everyone who wants to read it. Not just Japan. Whether you can read Japanese is another matter.
May 30, 2015 9:48 AM

Dec 2012
Waaaaahhhhhh waaaaaahhhhh waaaaahhhhh keep crying pls.

Only gripe I had with this episode was Shirou stabbing Archer not being as dramatic as in the VN. It should have been more than a flesh wound. Other than that, they spent enough time on this fight.

The other scenes were necessary. Gil had to get screentime because he's the big bad and Grail discussion was key.

And c'mon, you KNOW Saber was getting scenes. She's the face of the series and a major character in F/Z (from which a lot of their viewership is coming from). Shirou vs Archer was an answer for her too.
May 30, 2015 9:50 AM
Jun 2009
Well I came for the hype and screenshots.
Instead got a nice dose of absolutism, narcissistic personality disorders, and entitlement.
Keeping it classy as always.

Now, now. I know Type Moon is a religion and Fate/Stay Night is the bible. We quote more scriptures on here than Christians at a bible forum. #cultists

But let's all just take a quick Xanax.

I won't know for another hour or so, but surely this one episode isn't Armageddon?

I mean don't you all know?

"Just because you're correct, doesn't mean you're right." -Emiya 2015

Badum tish.
May 30, 2015 9:52 AM

Sep 2013
I guess it would have been less funny, but you could have used a more correct translation. Well, I guess everyone gets what you want to say.

May 30, 2015 9:52 AM

May 2015
These posts... fill me with trepidation for the episode.

And I was so hopeful after last weeks :(.
May 30, 2015 9:57 AM

Aug 2014
Tokoya said:

They're not doing a Fate Route ever and as such them adding in things for Saber is good move logically and especially on a marketing scale. How else are people going to find out more about her? You expect people to believe that she was irrelevant in all of this? UFO stated from the beginning that they were treating this somewhat like a sequel to F/Z or did you all seem to forget that?

Uh, no, both Nasu and Ufotable went on record to tell viewers to look at it separately from Zero. And Ufotable gave the Fate route out for free in Japan so you're literally wrong.
May 30, 2015 10:00 AM

Mar 2014
Ha.. I rewatched first half with infinite Emiya theme on, so when Archer starts blahblah it doesn't feel so bad lol.
May 30, 2015 10:03 AM

Jul 2013
CookingPriest said:

"It is not standalone because literally all explanations and characterization and lore are missing and ufoubw does nothing for hf movies right now, but it is standalone because we are getting saber flashbacks"

Pick one already.

It can't be a standalone because there will be HF movie(s) even if we don't count Fate/Zero

Good episode.
Liked to see some EMIYA's flashback about his life.
I liked too the end of the fight between Archer and Shirou.
Nice to heard the thought of Saber about her life and the fight.

Gilgamesh was awesome, and the end with Shinji :D
GuilekMay 30, 2015 10:08 AM
May 30, 2015 10:08 AM

May 2013
I thought that it was very good overall.

That sponsor screen background after episode preview.....? O.o;

Anyway, just UBW in itself is good for H/F and this episode too was important with regards to H/F, no clue what CP is talking about once again.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
May 30, 2015 10:19 AM

May 2014
The Answer part was actually pretty good sans Chunii blades.

I like Archer's RM changing as Shirou breaks his resolve, the Gears stop and eventually he begins to see his error. It's not Shirou's internal reality encroaching on Archer's, but Archer's itself changing.

Also Archer closing his left eye when he saw the vision of Kiri. Good stuff.
May 30, 2015 10:35 AM
Jun 2014
A bit disappointed by the end of Archer/Shirô fight.
It wasn't as impactful as in the VN, and I expected EMIYA to last longer.

Anyways, it was alright, I guess.
May 30, 2015 10:38 AM

Aug 2010
May 30, 2015 10:39 AM

Feb 2015
PLZ fade to black
May 30, 2015 10:41 AM

Aug 2010
LMFAO. Shinji's dream of obtaining the grail has finally been granted this episode.

This is just too good. Congratulations, Shinji!
astroprogsMay 30, 2015 10:46 AM
May 30, 2015 10:42 AM

Jun 2014
laidellent said:
PLZ fade to black

This
May 30, 2015 10:45 AM

May 2013
Okay, I can't help but agree that the stuff after the fight was really bad, but anyway just how long were you expecting Answer to drag on for? It's a 30min scene and it probably took as long in the anime when normally it's cut to 1/4 of the original duration.

The part of Answer that this episode still had left to adapt lasted approximately 7 minutes in the VN. You expected an entire episode dedicated to that? Please.
ijukaMay 30, 2015 10:53 AM
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
May 30, 2015 10:54 AM

May 2014
laidellent said:
Whatever little we got of Answer..

http://a.pomf.se/psfvls.webm

I can't stop watching this lol

I noticed Shirou blocks one of the Overedged swords with a half formed Bakuya. Although I can't see where it ended up.
May 30, 2015 10:54 AM

Dec 2012
Insertanamehere said:
Tokoya said:

Uh, no, both Nasu and Ufotable went on record to tell viewers to look at it separately from Zero. And Ufotable gave the Fate route out for free in Japan so you're literally wrong.

Regardless of what was or wasn't said, his point is still valid. There have been numerous references to Zero. A lot of people are coming from F/Z who haven't read the VN, and are going to wonder why Saber isn't getting any focus or resolution to her arc if they followed UBW purely. Even those who are watching this first will wonder why the motivations of such a prominent character are not being explored. Even if the Fate route is free, this is still an anime adaptation and it has to be standalone to a degree.
May 30, 2015 10:55 AM

Apr 2015
I...I'm conflicted.

EMIYA is...so somber. It's nice, a really nice change of pace considering how many hype versions we have of it. And Archer's UBW breaking down because of shirou was...really a good move.

but hell, that EMIYA version will not fit during the second time its supposed to play...I hope they have a second version, or I'll be disappointed.

Also I do agree that saber stuff was necessary, but not before other stuff. It fits, though at this point its definitely not the VN. lol
May 30, 2015 10:57 AM
Apr 2015
Could it be that they source material just isn't that great?

I mean VN readers say that every adaption sucked (be it Deen or Ufotable's) that they didn't do the VN justice etc.

I can't help but think that the VN isn't just that great or even if it is that it doesn't translate well into the anime medium

Especially since Ufotable adapted Fate/Zero and Kara no Kyoukai very well
May 30, 2015 10:58 AM

Jan 2015
Watched episodes 7 and 8 to feed into 9 and the transitions were flawless. Damn near perfect episode. Archer's reality marble being overtaken by Shirou was beautiful and that ending was great. Shinji had it a long time coming and Gil was back to mongrels. What a great episode.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
May 30, 2015 10:58 AM
Feb 2015
Archer lost and died. now shinji finally dies and turns into the Grail?
Well things are heating up and I wonder what is going to happen next.
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
May 30, 2015 10:59 AM

May 2013
FanEu said:

I mean VN readers say that every adaption sucked (be it Deen or Ufotable's) that they didn't do the VN justice

I can't help but think that the VN isn't just that great or even if it is that it doesn't translate well into the anime medium

Well UBW is a solid 7.5/10 IMO. Certainly extremely overrated as far as I'm concerned, but it's pretty good. Some things would have translated poorly to anime but there are some things that are just strange decisions.
May 30, 2015 10:59 AM

May 2014
Forgetfulness said:
Alright episode I guess. Well they did give Shirou's answer, but I'm pretty sure retarded secondaries are still going to not get the point. They might have been able to emphasize it a little more

There's always the

I'm looking forward to it, it needs it.
May 30, 2015 11:00 AM

Jan 2015
Gonna have to call bullshit on Shirou surviving. Archer could summon a bunch of swords and yet only 2 or 3 at a time were being projected at him. Why didn't 12 or more go at him at the same time?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2015 11:00 AM

Jul 2013

I think I am gar for Archer...
May 30, 2015 11:01 AM

Mar 2011
FanEu said:

I mean VN readers say that every adaption sucked (be it Deen or Ufotable's) that they didn't do the VN justice etc.

If you have not read the VN you cannot make that judgement. This anime had stupid anime original content that was not in the VN like for example Shirou blocking rains of giant swords this episode.
May 30, 2015 11:02 AM

Jul 2013
Eylandos said:
Gonna have to call bullshit on Shirou surviving. Archer could summon a bunch of swords and yet only 2 or 3 at a time were being projected at him. Why didn't 12 or more go at him at the same time?

Too busy trying to break Shirou's minds and admiring Shirou's eyes.
May 30, 2015 11:02 AM

Sep 2013
FanEu said:

I don't think you have any right to judge whether they adapted FZ or KnK very well, if you haven't read it and thus cannot compare. Also, adapting a VN and a LN are two different things. The former is harder than the latter.

Anyway, it was an alright episode for me, but the title is misplaced. Should have been last episode's title.
CapsuleCoreMay 30, 2015 11:06 AM
Pages (20) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 25, 2015

1037 by Rain_Machika »»
May 28, 10:38 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Jun 20, 2015

1400 by sadoomi »»
May 23, 7:46 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 11, 2015

1719 by icim_fitto »»
Apr 27, 4:58 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 4, 2015

1557 by Swatheesh123 »»
Apr 9, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Jun 13, 2015

1574 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 12:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.