Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 7, 2015 4:31 AM
Jul 2009
You guys liked G&P?

Military anime is the one genre I just can't get behind.
The idea of people forcing the gap moe of military jargon with "cute" girls is just too appalling.
Feb 7, 2015 5:46 AM

Nov 2012
Well, there was something about the way G&P presented itself that just makes it click.
Feb 19, 2015 7:02 AM

Aug 2010
Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna
was really solid
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Feb 19, 2015 8:35 AM

Oct 2011
I'm rather interested in Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna, myself. Perhaps I'll give it a watch soon.

Feb 20, 2015 2:29 AM

Nov 2012
I haven't watched anything Lupin related. Maybe I should.
Feb 20, 2015 1:22 PM

Aug 2010
thats the only thing lupin ive watched, but from what i understand its supposed to be quite different from regular lupin shows in terms of tone and plot.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Feb 20, 2015 11:07 PM

Nov 2012
I see. I might check that out then.
Feb 27, 2015 10:30 PM
Feb 2015
Nyanpire the Animation
Petshop of Horrors
Great Teacher Onizuka
D-Frag!
Ristorante Paradiso
Antique Bakery
Pupipo!
Gakuen Utopia Manabí Straight!
Coyote Ragtime Show
Binchou-tan
Hanamaru Youchien
Tonari no Seki-kun
Aishiteruze Baby
Dororo to Hyakkimaru
Feb 27, 2015 11:07 PM

Nov 2012
Woah! some real interesting titles there. Some I've watched, some I have downloaded and some I need to download.
Mar 18, 2015 2:21 PM

Oct 2008
Shion no Ou
Mar 19, 2015 2:06 AM

Nov 2012
Oh! Yeah. I really like that series.
Mar 22, 2015 8:58 PM

Apr 2014
Though this is similar to the underground anime topic, a series that I find gets

unfair treatment is RahXephon. Sure it's similar to Evangelion in aesthetic, but it's

completely different in terms of thematic presentation. It's a real shame the series

gets shot down as a rip off; since it has a vastly layered story, complex, interesting,

and likeable characters, and a soundtrack that fits the show perfectly. Not to

mention it's one of the first works of Studio Bones; which is a factor quite present

in the show's art and animation. I find the series is in many ways superior to

Evangelion. The story is much more well written and overall complex, and the

characters are still psychological misfits but still remain likeable (which is

something I can't fully say about Eva). Though the series goes nowhere near as

pretentious as Eva, it's still pretty heavy-handed, and the series's appeal to

emotion doesn't stack up anywhere near to Eva's. As for outside flaws (kind of),

it's even harder to follow than Evangelion, and the comic-relief doesn't mesh

nearly as well as it should. Overall, RahXephon is still a phenomenal series that

definately deserves attention outside of the Evangelion stigma. I've been hearing

a lot of negative criticism of RahXephon's story, pacing, and characters. I would

definitely say part of the problem is that viewers are expecting it to be Evangelion

(which I've already said before, it's not). I can see why some people would have

problems with the story and pacing; since it's incredibly convoluted and very

secretive with details. The pacing is also very slow; with information being

scattered throughout the beginning without the viewer knowing what any of it

means until the climax. This style of pacing is very akin to Chiaki J. Konaka's

others works, and is something I'm quite used to and enjoy, so there's definitely a

bias I'm projecting. If you take time to think over the details, there's something to

appreciate there. In regards to the characters, they're often unfairly compared to

Evangelion's cast. They're no wear near extreme, and have much less identifiable

problems. Since the characters aren't as messed up as Eva's cast, they're often

shunned as being not as deep, or less relatable; due to them appearing less

imperfect, and as a result less human. These characters however are still very

well-written, and are more characters types written in orthodox mecha, and not

written as characters in a deconstruction. If you can view RahXephon as a stand-

alone mecha anime dissociative of Evangelion; then I can say for certain there'll

be something you enjoy/appreciate. (Given how I've been comparig the two,

that's probably impossible now lol).
DesuBMay 22, 2015 4:47 PM
Mar 23, 2015 3:16 AM

Nov 2012
I can at least agree with the last sentence.
Mar 25, 2015 5:02 PM
Jan 2012
Kemono Souja no Erin - Already been mentioned but super amazing anime. Needs more attention.

Aria - The entire Aria series. The Animation, The Natural and The Origination. I know it is ranked really high on MAL, but it is NEVER mentioned enough and also very difficult to recommend to people. (Since it is a pure slice of life) It is a great break from all your shounen and drama's.

Hikaru no Go - Another fantastic anime. You don't even need to know what the game is about and you will be extremely interested. The characters are fun, you get to see them grow and change. I wish I could get more.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien - This show is the first thing I thought of when I finished WA 2. Not as good as WA 2 IMO, but I still enjoy the show.

Seitokai Yakuindomo - This is my all time favorite comedy. A show comprised entirely of original sex jokes that dont use ecchi.
Mar 25, 2015 11:38 PM

Nov 2012
Definitely agree with the first three but the last two are fairly well known.

And Kimi ga Nozome Eien is infinitely worse than WA2.
Mar 25, 2015 11:47 PM

Jun 2011
OnyLink said:

Hikaru no Go - Another fantastic anime. You don't even need to know what the game is about and you will be extremely interested. The characters are fun, you get to see them grow and change. I wish I could get more.
<3 my favorite anime. Add Ookiku Furikabutte in there, best baseball anime hands down, gradual character development with legit trauma that's not forced for some tears, games with souls, great team spirit <3 It could be a little bit "gay" for some homophobic.

From the winter season, I believe Shounen Hollywood is underrated, sure it may have seem "gay" and not so "mature" from the outside, but the dramas and themes are very relatable. Have anyone seen it yet?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 26, 2015 12:03 AM

Nov 2012
Big Thumbs Up for Ookiku Furikabutte
Mar 27, 2015 1:35 PM
Jan 2012
ToG25thBaam said:
Add Ookiku Furikabutte in there, best baseball anime hands down, gradual character development with legit trauma that's not forced for some tears, games with souls, great team spirit <3 It could be a little bit "gay" for some homophobic.

That is on my PTW list. Gotta get on that!
Mar 28, 2015 2:15 AM

Nov 2012
Yep. ASAP.
Apr 4, 2015 5:34 AM

Apr 2012
Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu - I rarely see it talked about and most of the people doesn't know this series whenever I try to talk about it. I wondered why since it's really good. The characters were really established from the start but that didn't stop them from growing. The elements of comedy and seriousness were properly mixed and the show was very entertaining from the beginning to the end. The story and art was great. Even the voice actors were perfect for their characters. This should have more attention.

Jyuushin Enbu: Hero Tales - This is actually pretty good. It's not that great of an anime but it definitely is worth the watch. The concept and development of the story was good so I really recommend it.

As for anime that received unnecessary hate, I'd say it's Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. It's actually a pretty good watch HAHA.
Apr 4, 2015 11:22 PM

Aug 2010
Jyuushin Enbu is watchable

densetsu leaves a little to be desired since it never continued :(
Apr 5, 2015 4:20 AM

Nov 2012
I'll check heroic tales out....
Apr 6, 2015 7:14 AM

May 2014
I just drop Kokoro Connect here - not a flawless show in any sense, but somewhat unique. And - a somewhat different conclusion in the end :)
Apr 8, 2015 6:09 AM

Nov 2012
That's not an underrated title in my eyes.
Apr 8, 2015 9:05 AM

May 2014
I guess you're right. Anyways Kokoro seems a bit unpopular (even though it's rated #113 in popularity), thats why I dropped it here.
abotreikaApr 8, 2015 9:09 AM
Apr 8, 2015 9:33 AM

Nov 2012
I see.
Apr 21, 2015 4:41 AM

Oct 2008
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
Apr 21, 2015 10:25 AM

Nov 2013
Perhaps Cat Soup and Popee(yeah I truly have a shit taste for liking the latter but I don't care).
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Apr 22, 2015 6:00 AM

Nov 2012
Absolutely agree with you zieek..Hanbun is definitely underrated.

@Yesmo - I have heard a bit about Popee. Might give that a watch.
May 19, 2015 7:39 PM

Oct 2011
Soukou no Strain and Yugo the Negotiator are both underrated imo.

May 20, 2015 10:13 AM

Aug 2010
Yugo the Negotiator looks like it has an interesting premise, I might check it out

for no real reason, I just cant do mechs anymore so Strain is out.
May 20, 2015 1:53 PM

Jan 2012
haha I remember Yugo, though I dropped it because I didn't feel like negotiating with him. That was some catchphrase though on his part!

Didn't really catch on to anything since my last few comments, but I'd like to see the member counts go up on Glass no Kamen 2005 and Touch.
May 21, 2015 4:16 AM
Apr 2015
Kaiba and Dennou Coil are really underrated. Especially since they are both made by Madhouse.
Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane Renmei, and Princess Tutu aren't as underrated as the two titles above. However, I still believe they are underrated compared to their quality.
May 21, 2015 7:30 AM

Nov 2012
Agree with both Style and Moose.

Haibane, Glass Mask, Touch, Dennou Coil, all deserve a look in at the very least.
Sep 13, 2015 3:50 AM

Oct 2008
kokoro connect
Sep 14, 2015 10:38 AM

May 2014
zieek said:
kokoro connect

Agreed
Sep 14, 2015 1:15 PM

Nov 2013
I failed to see why kokoro was good.
Nov 22, 2015 8:09 AM
Jan 2013
Most of these would be pieces that are lost from the memory due to many newer and flashier pieces taking the stage.
since I'm not talking to many other anime fans, so forgive me if any of these aren't that underrated or unnoticed.

-asura cryin
-captain earth
-cross enge?
-hourou musko (i'm sure not many know about that one! i think...)'
-love lab (never heard anyone talk about it, though i remember it being enjoyable)
-ninja slayer? (I was mostly the only one commnting on it on animeultima if it accounts for anything)
-nogizaka haruka no himitsu?
-sekai seifuku- boryaku no zvezda (was lovely)
-shinsekai yori (probably appeared in this post like 700 times)
-tetsuan birdy decode
-wakako zake (pshooooo)

So there's my two cents on this topic, assuming any of these are valid. All of the above are highly recommended, so by all means, you should really let these catch some dust in your ever-growing "plan to watch" section.
have fun!
Nov 22, 2015 8:14 AM
Jan 2013
TMUniversal said:
I failed to see why kokoro was good.

Myself, and I believe many others, would say kokoro connect have a strong saying about friendship and connections between people, far above and beyond the cheesy "friendship conquers all" idea.

By all means, I would advise you to watch kokoro connect again, with the perspective i proposed in mind, and maybe you'll see what I'm talking about.
(Then again, maybe you won't. kokoro connect is my favorite anime, and as the saying goes: "your favorite anime is shite").
Have a lovely day, weather you read this reply or not.
Apr 20, 2016 9:16 AM

May 2014
Not sure if these are hidden, but I have a few...
- Kaiba would be my personal top recommendation for a hidden gem. A bit obscure but freaking amazing...
- Katanagatari is a great romance, adventure, comedy. Its not part of the monogatari series. Probably the only light novel adaptation I've liked besides baccano!
- Haibane Renmei or Shinsekai Yori
- Casshern Sins & Kino' Journey are both episodic, atmospheric journey anime like Mushishi.
- Mousou Dairinin
- Ginga Tetsudou no Yoru - galactic railroad with cats.
- Ginga Nagareboshi Gin is an 80's shonen about dogs gathering an army to fight an army of bears.
PikachuApr 20, 2016 9:57 AM
Apr 20, 2016 7:20 PM
May 2012
Rinne no lagrange

Hakkenden Touhou hakken ibun
Apr 21, 2016 1:38 PM

May 2014
SorryJustMe said:

Petshop of Horrors
u

This is one of the funniest dubs Ive ever seen.
Jul 26, 2016 2:44 AM

Oct 2008
Asatte no Houkou
Jul 26, 2016 8:04 PM

Oct 2012
Wow i mean for a critics and veterans club most of the animes that were mentioned here are pretty popular (i thought people would write something like inferno cop or w/e) . Even tho i guess people here mean that this animes are underrated relatively to how they should be.
Anyway the first titles that come to my mind that are truly unpopular are

shouwa genroku rakugo shinjuu- which i wouldnt say is underrated its just that its really unpopular the last time i checked it was ranked in like 50-60's by score but like 1000's by popularity.
Another thing that comes to my mind which is surprising how unpopular it is, is: kyou kara ore wa- which is ranked in like the 3000's by popularity which is crazy, i mean this thing should be almost as popular as gto/slam dunk (even tho i still didnt finish it). Its just got that classic old school warm feeling to it like with gto or slam dunk.

And honestly every other old anime: people write staff like haibane renmei and all kinds of early 2000's animes and well i get it people tend to forget a lot of staff as they get older and theres no hype about them,
I just cant imagine how many good animes there are from the 80's/90's for example which people forgot about, people remember only the really popular staff like berserk for example.
Especially ova's, there are so many good ones that people forget about. I guess the fact that people still mention a specific anime and say its underrated just shows people still care about it, im pretty sure there are a lot of animes that no one even talk about anymore and are good enough to deserve it. So i guess this discussion is really subjective.

Anyway sorry for my english im sure there's a lot of mistakes and for the long comment.
Nov 8, 2019 11:12 AM

Nov 2008
Mnemosyne
RideBack
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: is it overrated? ( 1 2 3 )

Dashiawia - May 7, 2013

100 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 14, 2021 11:06 AM

» An Anime Ruined by a Sequel Arc/Season

DesuB - Jan 27, 2016

15 by Dashiawia »»
Dec 2, 2019 5:58 PM

» An Anime You Hate, But Everyone Else Seems To Love ( 1 2 3 )

DesuB - Jun 13, 2014

139 by BibiChan »»
Nov 8, 2019 11:16 AM

» Is Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood really "Tah Best Anime Ebar"?

DesuB - Jun 30, 2014

48 by RachaelLefler »»
Jun 28, 2016 7:10 PM

Poll: » Log Horizon - is it better than Sword Art Online? ( 1 2 )

Dashiawia - Oct 29, 2013

73 by Seraphrim »»
Nov 30, 2015 2:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.