Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 23, 2009 11:11 AM

Sep 2008
Epic mindfuck.
Jul 23, 2009 11:16 AM

Apr 2009
Yesss Battler, punch that smile off her stupid face.
Kanon, why Kanon? He was such a cool piece of furniture D: But he got his own Crowning Moment of Awesome. And even used Rena's cleaver thingy :O
I feel bad for the servants though...
Hm, kind of unsettling that I don't get what everybody is talking about (Tea Party, Turn of the golden witch etc.), I need to play the game.
The cherry blossoms song creeped me out D:
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 23, 2009 11:39 AM

Jun 2008
noteDhero said:
Blah episode. I'd like to be surprised by the show, but I'm just not. Kannon vs. Beatrice is probably the best moment of the series so far...but it really didn't seem like he had died, since it looked like he was still breathing and looking around when everyone came in, but maybe that was my imagination.

He was still alive when they came into the room. He died later.
Jul 23, 2009 11:49 AM

May 2008
...&Maria still continues to bother the crap out of me.

But atleast she got...

I dunno..I'm wondering if this series will only have like 12-13 episodes with the way everyone's dying. It SHOULD be longer..like 24 episodes. That would be nice.

And did anyone else notice the sort of Rena reference?

Jul 23, 2009 11:53 AM

Apr 2008
Haha, Kanon had Rena's cleaver. I like all these little Higurashi nods they're throwing in there.

Kanon's scene and the deaths at the end were definitely the best part of the episode. Everything else felt a bit fast - it was okay, but not as awesome as those two scenes. I don't really like how they waited until now to read the epitaph (not having it at the beginning takes a lot out of this arc), and how nothing (except the two scenes I mentioned) was as dark (both literally and metaphorically) and claustrophobic as it could have been - I want more atmosphere! Maybe having read this chapter in the VN ruined the anime adaptation for me - if that's the case, then the rest should be great.

That aside, I did like the episode, I just felt like it could have used some more mood. Kanon's scene was the best in the series so far, and there were definitely a lot of surprises here (for non-VN-readers). Overall, very good content, but the execution could've been better.

And that preview is awesome. It looks like they're really going to be drawing out the next episode for maximum impact and adding the tea party, so I'm looking forward to that. Umineko is really at its best when it's slow and deliberate.

The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai. You will be honored to accept his invitation.
Jul 23, 2009 11:57 AM
Feb 2009
Kanon vs. Beato scene was a bit too short for me :o

BakaOnna said:
Next week's episode preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9CEhvU2Nb4

Guess who shows up~!

Jul 23, 2009 12:03 PM

Jul 2009
This episode didn't leave the same impression on me as the others. It felt really rushed. It was decent but like, how did they not think to look at the epitaph? It just seems kinda weird to me. Oh well, so far I'm really excited to see Beatrice next episode!!

I think I'm going to start reading the manga.
Jul 23, 2009 12:11 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That was a nice episode, I'm getting into the whole thing.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 23, 2009 12:22 PM

Sep 2007
I'm the only one who disliked this episode ?
The Maria faces are no scary at all.
I laughed because she is not frightening.
And in 4 episodes, we have 80% of the people who are dead.
It's not the seiyuu cost who will ruin this anime. :/
(But i continue to look because i want to saw Beatrice)
Jul 23, 2009 12:29 PM
Aug 2008
why don't they just make more scorpion charms for everyone?

and someone please KILL Maria. She creeps me out and pisses me off when I see her face.
Jul 23, 2009 1:11 PM

Feb 2008
oshi- Maria scares the shit out of me.
Pretty awesome episode there.
Jul 23, 2009 1:17 PM
Mar 2009
I'm glad someone actually reacted to Maria's scary faces and hit her on the head for laughing.
Jul 23, 2009 1:35 PM

Apr 2009
Haha yeah.. George throwing himself at his mother's chest... ^_^;
Well. Maria... the fact that's she's a little girl and bitchy already made it a bad start out with me. It's about time they notice Maria's.. strangeness.
Jul 23, 2009 2:33 PM

Apr 2009
I liked Kanon.. :(
So lots more people dead.
Feels rushed. and im kinda getting bored.
Jul 23, 2009 3:40 PM

Dec 2008
A lot of people dying really quickly. I'm interested in how this is going to go down. Yeah Maria can get just a little annoying at times...glad some people in the show are noticing.
Jul 23, 2009 3:59 PM

Feb 2008
I want someone to kill maria. That chick is pissing me off. She isn't creepy or interesting; just annoying. I can completely understand why her mom boxed her the first ep.
Jul 23, 2009 4:41 PM

Jun 2008
Kanon... WTH!! he was one of my favorites.. but maybe he'll come back, I hope :)
Maria was awesome as ever lol poor Jessica :(

This was a good episode, felt more slowed down then the last episodes. People keep talking about some tea party, I assume it will be a good episode so I'm looking forward to it.
Battler did have the charm after all, Maria looked oh so happy about that. I'm seriously starting to get the idea Maria is behind the murders.. i don't know why just a thought.

I agree with the people who were posting about the users who read the VN, maybe they should have their own forum lol they just can't resist giving spoilers and its tempting me too much! I have to read them hehe
- Noblesse Oblige -

And I'm saying a prayer for the desperate heart's tonight

Jul 23, 2009 4:45 PM

Jul 2008
Kanon ; ~ ;

De-JaY said:
oshi- Maria scares the shit out of me.

This

and can't wait for

And on a side note..I think the real murderer is...

Jul 23, 2009 5:02 PM

Jun 2007
This episode went by a lot faster then I was expecting.

And yeah, as a VN player it is quite hard to see people saying things about the series that get addressed in the future and forcing myself to not spoil anything. So having seperate discussion forums for VN players and non VN players might be a good idea. Although I will say this: If you are having any doubts about the series and are thinking of dropping it at this point, I highly encourage you to watch up to about episode 8 or 9(this is just an estimate on my part based on the current pacing of the episodes) before you make your decision as it will be about there that you truly start seeing what the series is about.
Jul 23, 2009 5:12 PM

Jul 2009
Leinel said:
MarthX said:
Leinel said:
Did they skip this?

If no, then who was it?

Kinzo's burnt corpse had a stake in the forehead.

I thought he was burnt to death instead. Thanks.

Jul 23, 2009 5:16 PM

Jun 2007
ConnorCrook said:
Leinel said:
MarthX said:
Leinel said:
Did they skip this?

If no, then who was it?

No, in the visual novel they mentioned it when they found his body. It should have already been said. You can also see the stake in the forehead. It just wasn't addressed.
Jul 23, 2009 5:19 PM

Jul 2009
MarthX said:
ConnorCrook said:
Leinel said:
MarthX said:
Leinel said:
Did they skip this?

If no, then who was it?

No, in the visual novel they mentioned it when they found his body. It should have already been said. You can also see the stake in the forehead. It just wasn't addressed.

Oh I see, I don't remember that part in the novel, haha. It's not surprising that they didn't address it,
Jul 23, 2009 5:20 PM

Aug 2008
That was scary. O__O Maybe I'm too much of a wimp or whatever, but wow, so glad I watched it with my sister.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2009 5:57 PM

Dec 2007
i'm really loving this...

the scene when kanon is facing beatrice is awsome.

Finally someone noticed that maria-chan was acting weird!
and Maria's song was creepy, but cute. am i the only one to actually love her??? ( maybe because my name is actually maria too. xD)
Jul 23, 2009 5:58 PM
Sep 2008
_seraph said:
paskyx said:
z2000 said:

Really? wow wtf I missed that. What ep and when did that show up?

actually, it was 18 people to be precise.

I don't care what. Beatrice is god damn awesome. A certain black-haired girl comes in second.
Jul 23, 2009 6:04 PM

Apr 2009
Nady said:
Katsuki said:
More Maria crazy faces.

I'm totally going to save this picture.

I think this was the creepiest episode so far. It was awesome.
if we die we'll meet again in valhalla...
Jul 23, 2009 6:05 PM

Jul 2009
Evilyn said:
Nady said:
Katsuki said:
More Maria crazy faces.

I'm totally going to save this picture.

I think this was the creepiest episode so far. It was awesome.

haha yep. Maria singing didn't quite translate as creepily in the novel as it did actually hearing it. Scary stuff.
Jul 23, 2009 6:06 PM
Dec 2008
lol @ pic.
Jul 23, 2009 6:45 PM

Feb 2009
I was about time someone hit Maria in the head, that girl laugh too much and creepy laughter too. I am laughing each time someone said it dangerous to go by yourself, and this situation it seems it doesn't matter if you're alone or in group you still get own! I like the OP and ED of Umineko can't wait to get my hands on them.
Jul 23, 2009 6:47 PM

Jul 2009
MaxCrazy7 said:
I was about time someone hit Maria in the head, that girl laugh too much and creepy laughter too. I am laughing each time someone said it dangerous to go by yourself, and this situation it seems it doesn't matter if you're alone or in group you still get own! I like the OP and ED of Umineko can't wait to get my hands on them.

I'm not so sure about the ED, it's pretty good, but man, I absoloutely ADORE the op, it's fantastic. Cannot wait for Nipponsei or someone to get their hands on the single :D
Jul 23, 2009 6:55 PM

Nov 2007
So many people are being slain.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jul 23, 2009 7:32 PM

Dec 2008
MaxCrazy7 said:

The ED is eccentric, but so much so that it makes me like it. :|

I find Maria alot more creppier in her manga form compared to some of her DEEN appearances. :(
Jul 23, 2009 7:34 PM

Jul 2009
Fujikira said:
MaxCrazy7 said:

I find Maria alot more creppier in her manga form compared to some of her DEEN appearances. :(

The whole manga is a whole lot creepier than the anime. The first twilight was depicted very graphically in the manga. It's pretty cool, though ~
Jul 23, 2009 7:47 PM

Aug 2008
How did no one realize that Maria was so evil? Can they not see her face when she talks?

Also, does anyone else find it fun to look up the bible verses that are mentioned?

Psalm 107:16
for he breaks down gates of bronze and cuts through bars of iron.

Psalm 77:13
Your ways, O God, are holy. What god is so great as our God?

I'm almost wondering if that second one is sarcastic.
Jul 23, 2009 7:57 PM

Dec 2008
RazorBeamz said:
How did no one realize that Maria was so evil? Can they not see her face when she talks?

Also, does anyone else find it fun to look up the bible verses that are mentioned?

Maria mentions that when explaining the blood circle on the shed for the first twilight.

ConnorCrook said:
Fujikira said:
MaxCrazy7 said:

The whole manga is a whole lot creepier than the anime. The first twilight was depicted very graphically in the manga. It's pretty cool, though ~

Which also what happened for me with Higurashi's first arc in manga form (Rena looked so much more deranged, and the end was much more graphic than the what the anime did.) :|
Jul 23, 2009 8:02 PM

Jul 2008
Has anyone seen the trailer for ep 5 on the official website?

Jul 23, 2009 8:04 PM

Jul 2009
Fujikira said:
RazorBeamz said:

Maria mentions that when explaining the blood circle on the shed for the first twilight.

ConnorCrook said:
Fujikira said:
MaxCrazy7 said:

Which also what happened for me with Higurashi's first arc in manga form (Rena looked so much more deranged, and the end was much more graphic than the what the anime did.) :|

I haven't read the Higurashi manga yet, but I'd quite like to. I have read the first arc though and you're right, it's much more graphic. I think the black and white goes a long way for making it look creepier, too.
Jul 23, 2009 8:50 PM
May 2008
Maria fucking owns so much with her sinister laugh... and the murders continue to rise. Also, still nothing answered but I have a feeling nothing will make sense until the end in typical "Higurashi" fashion.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 23, 2009 8:57 PM

May 2009
One more ep for this arc? Awesome.

But...Kanon ;_;
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2009 9:24 PM

Dec 2006
This show fails at creating any sort of tension or creepy factor, everything is just there. I love the premise so far, but they need to step up their game and stop cramming so much shit into one episode.
リスト 。。

Jul 23, 2009 9:25 PM

Jan 2008
Another 5 die this time lol. They should just shoot Maria right there.
Jul 23, 2009 10:12 PM

Jun 2009
i bet you theres no magic involved...
if there was then how did the head of the family die if there was a scorpion on his door knob?

they said theres only one way in and one way out of the room
Jul 23, 2009 10:21 PM

Dec 2008
PandAEmiC said:
i bet you theres no magic involved...
if there was then how did the head of the family die if there was a scorpion on his door knob?

they said theres only one way in and one way out of the room

This post is one of the many reasons why I'm angst to reveal VN spoilers.
Jul 23, 2009 10:29 PM

Jun 2009
you can tell me :)

i dont really mind spoilers...
i actually like them so i can see how they build up to it, thats why whenever i read a book i always read the every last paragraph and then see how they build up to it :D

but in the VN arent there more than 1 ending?
personally i havent played the game so i wouldnt know
Jul 23, 2009 10:35 PM

Jan 2008
WHEEEEE. I don't know why, but though I didn't expect to like this show more than Higurashi, I do. I just don't want it to end.

Edit: I just checked this site: http://www.mahou.org/Showtime/ and according to them, Umineko is going to be 26 episodes total. This is probably old news to most of you but that just makes me relieved and happy since the MAL page has the total number of episodes as Unknown for now.
PanaruJul 23, 2009 10:38 PM
Jul 23, 2009 10:45 PM

May 2008
So very creepy, so very awesome.
Jul 23, 2009 10:47 PM

Feb 2008
More people dying with almost no clue as to how, what and why it happened except maybe Kanon.

The good part is some grounds rules of the game were established (for non visual viewers like me of course).
Jul 23, 2009 10:49 PM

Aug 2007
Sigyn said:
I agree with the people who were posting about the users who read the VN, maybe they should have their own forum lol they just can't resist giving spoilers and its tempting me too much! I have to read them hehe

I agree with this, we need one topic for anime-VN related discussion.

The destinies mend rift in time as men etches fate anew
Jul 23, 2009 10:57 PM

Jun 2007
Kanon's choice would make Rena-chan proud... Hauu~ :)
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Jul 23, 2009 11:06 PM

Sep 2008
MARIA!!! FTW!!! call me a pedofile or whatever im in love with thhat girl!!!
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.