Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Aug 9, 2018 7:25 AM

Dec 2016
Another very good entry in the monogatari saga, man do I fucking love this series
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 27, 2018 10:19 PM

May 2017
the season i enjoyed the least..

the problem that i sometimes have with the monogatari series and with other animes too is that good writing and good dialouge alone doesn't make me enjoy an anime.. its frustrating but i need more than just that. I need an interesting story that captivates me, i need characters that i really enjoy following.. for example i have nothing against kanbaru but she's not that type of character that i feel invested in AT ALL therefore i can't sympathize with her at all.

Really enjoyed the monogatari series second season, it had a variety of characters and actual nice interesting stories. I was able to immerse myself into the story. The only problem i had with this season was the last arc. Same reason why i didnt enjoy hanamonogatari.. it was solely based on very well written dialouge with human emotions. The concept of that last arc was totally fine, senjougahara seeking out for desperate help to kaiki the conman.. the plan is to deceive the deity sengoku into thinking that araragi and senjougahara died in a traffic accident.. that sounds good and it was good for the most part but it dragged on to long. It was twice as long as most of the other arcs and the ending was very anticlimactic. It didn't feel like a season ending arc for me.

Looking forward to tsukimonogatari. It already has a better setup since i actually think that Ononoki is a cool character.
Sep 14, 2018 2:36 AM

May 2018
Oh, I loved this season ... Numachiii ... I'll give it a 9/10 for sure.

5/5
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Sep 17, 2018 10:55 AM

Sep 2014
So despite me beeing pretty displeased with this arc in general I think the final was really good. I just dont see why they needed 5 episodes to basically tell 1 or 2 episodes worth of story.

I would complain but those 4 shinobu images we got totally saved this. That was so incredibly kawaii.

I think this would have been better off as a movie instead of 5 episodes. It kinda leaves a dull feeling to know this is chronologically the last segment of monogatari.

It really shows how much this story in general depends on araragi. Just kanbaru alone definitely is not enough.

But we saw Ararargi in a pretty mature way and atleast he has chosen his favourite (big) little sister.

I wont rate this as I cant rate it in a fair way compared to other shows, but its definitely the weakest part of momogatari. If not for some Kaiki backstory and this final episode I would even say this is completely skippable.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 12, 2019 3:58 AM

Mar 2013
Good. The usual kind of good that Monogatari has. But compared to the other arcs in Second Season, it didn't grab me as much. I don't even have a really concrete reason for thinking that, just... it didn't interest me as much. Maybe it's just because Kanbaru isn't one of my favourites, and other main characters from other arcs obviously have less importance here.

I did like Numachi's storytelling though, and the ending was nice.
Apr 11, 2019 7:46 AM

Jan 2010
Damn, my eyes are teary! I hope we see Numachi again, she's such a cool character and her matches with Kanbaru were amazing. Hanamonogatari really is a bit of a work of art - it's rather simple, but hits you with sadness and joy at the same time.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
May 2, 2019 10:41 AM
Apr 2016
Monogatari series comes to an end...oh well it was great! The chat with Araragi was awesome at the end. Good episode & season!
May 20, 2019 3:02 PM

Dec 2018
Can't believe how Rouka has that many part of the Devil yet still lose so easily to Kanbaru.

"It was a part of being young." Coming from a guy who tried to rape his sisters.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Jun 9, 2019 11:13 AM
Jul 2018
And that concludes Suruga no Basuke, probably the worst arc so far imo, Rouka's character didn't really speak to me, but we got some development for Suruga and we got to see Kaiki again. We also got to see Araragi after graduating, so that's a plus. So overall a pretty good season/arc
Jul 30, 2019 2:02 AM

May 2015
The weakest of all arcs in the Monogatari series thus far. The only redeeming thing was Kaiki.
8/10
Aug 30, 2019 9:18 PM

Sep 2017
I think we have definitely gotten better Monogatari arcs, but for what this was, this arc was really fucking good. Definitely on the better side of singular Monogatari arcs. Kanbaru is an even cooler character than she was before, Numachi was an interesting deuteragonist. I dig Araragi's hair style and car too. Audiovisuals were as consistent as most of Monogatari is, so I won't comment on that. The plot was great too (Kaiki didn't die!). Because this was so short, there really isn't much to say besides: It good. I enjoyed. 8/10.

Oct 23, 2019 7:18 PM
Jul 2016
The last chapter of this amazing story(╥╯^╰╥)♡...
this arc was different from the others....
most of the main characters are not here....but i enjoy it anyway...
love the end....made me cry a lil bit
9.5/10 for this arc
10/10 for the whole story
I'm gonna miss monogatari( •̥́ ˍ •̀ू )
by the way...Is there any news about off season
anime adaptation????
I really wish for that(இωஇ )
Feb 17, 2020 3:57 PM

Feb 2019
I enjoy this arc more than I thought, Numachi just disappeared like that was sad, this kind of goodbye in anime always makes me feel empty :(, poor girl had her dream broken following the accident and eventually committed suicide.
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Apr 30, 2020 6:36 AM
Oct 2019
Seeing Kanbaru’s growth as a character is amazing.

However

WHY DID SHE CUT HER HAIR. I DON’T CARE ABOUT THE SPORT THING SHE LOOKS BEAUTIFUL . IF ANYTHING ARARAGI SHOULD CUT HIS HAIR CAUSE JESUS HE LOOKS LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.
Sep 2, 2020 5:12 PM

Aug 2019
damn I kinda hate when shows have the end of the show in terms on chronological order somewhere in the middle in terms of view order(i’m watching this in the intended novel order). since now I can’t look forward to the actual end and it might not be as impactful but oh well I still enjoyed this arc/season whatever you call it.
Sep 11, 2020 11:12 PM
Mar 2018
well i didnt understand it fully but idk what happened lmao. kanbaru wins against numachi and somehow she realizes shes a ghost and goes to heaven because she lost? and what do you mean by muddy water? like not being evil or good? bruh that dialogue with the mom feels kinda pretentious lmao. idk.

well, i didnt really get the whole point of this arc. felt like there wasnt a conclusion or anything, like some insignificant thing happened. i guess kanbaru doesnt have her monkey hand anymore but idk man. i coudnt really give a shit about any of these characters too (except kaiki). i guess 7/10 rn since i feel like it didnt really have a point. just her depressed rival going to heaven cuz she lost a basketball match.

looking forward to final season tho. heard that shit was very epic
Sep 17, 2020 9:59 PM

Jun 2020
Well I gotta say this was a great episode and I'm gonna miss Numachi she was a fine girl.

So Kanbaru is still a tomboy she still wanted to kiss Numachi well I guess that's ok.

It was a good series I enjoyed it so my overall rating will be 7/10(^-^)
Oct 4, 2020 11:33 AM

Apr 2019
That was really good, that finale was done so nicely. Loved it.

Man that second 1v1 was great, the water animation and just everything about it was done so wonderfully. Why is it that whenever a ghost character has to leave, I get all emotional? I'm gonna miss Rouka...

I honestly didn't expect Koyomi to return, but I'm glad he did. That animation for the book-dominos was really well done. And as much as I like Kanbaru with long hair, and I really do, I'm quite alright with her going back to her short hair.

Hot damn was that ED good. Both the song and it's visuals are so good. I love the visuals of Kanbaru and Rouka so much.

Dec 18, 2020 1:35 AM
Apr 2020
Her friend rests in peace and Kanbaru finally breaks free to her curse. Nothing more, nothing less.

This arc/series is purely dialogue-generated. So if you hate those kind of things, then bare with it.

Honestly, this is the weakest part of all Monogatari Series. Nothing major or plot twist happened, just all conversation but was still good. 8/10

On to the next :)
Dec 25, 2020 7:54 AM
Jul 2018
I grow tired of all the chatter. What happened to the action? The book dominoes was the most exciting thing in this episode.
Mar 1, 2021 3:00 PM

Apr 2020
wow!
What an episode!

It was very sad that it turned out that Nomachi was dead ...

Honestly, I was never a fan of kanbaru, but I really liked this arc and I really enjoyed it! 9/10

Monogatari series=what a series!
"Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder"~Rumi

Mar 2, 2021 8:50 AM

Oct 2016
Damn, what a fucking fantastic episode and a great arc overall. I didn't expect Rouka to not realize she's not dead at all, fuck that's heartbreaking.

Loved the visuals with the water while they were playing one on one. And that dunk was a thing of beauty *chef's kiss*. R.I.P. Rouka, she has finally passed on, should have given her that kiss Kanbaru.

Where'd Araragi get all them wisdom damn, he's so much more mature now. But of course his love for his sisters knows no bounds. And Kanbaru's story ending with Araragi cutting her hair is really great, short hair Kanbaru is best Kanbaru. Overall Hanamonogatari is an 8.5/10 for me but I am rounding it up to 9/10.
Jun 2, 2021 1:42 PM

Feb 2020
I... I think I love Numachi. We've only seen her in this arc, but I love her. She is a great character. To think that when I first saw her in the characters list I thought she'd be a forgettable character, but not at all ! She is just very underrated. I'm putting her at the top of my favorite Monogatari characters list along with Hanekawa and Shinobu.

Other than Numachi, there were a lot of things I liked in this arc. Kanbaru's development, her conversation with Kaiki, and the different messages that spoke to me on a deep level. I can see why most people don't like it as much as the other arcs but I personally liked it a lot, so 7/10.

There's just two things that really bothered me : Araragi, what is up with this hair. Kanbaru, I understand why you cut your hair but I loved your long hair, I'm sad.
Jun 26, 2021 10:23 AM
Feb 2018
Deeply, I really want that yuri ending...
return it, give that poor soul a goodbye kiss
Jul 25, 2021 6:11 AM

Jan 2021
Damn, that was amazing. Kanbaru is great. Rest in peace Numachi
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Sep 29, 2021 12:45 PM

Aug 2015
Araragi is still a huge perverted siscon and a lolicon, I guess some things never change.
It's OK that's why we love him.

Rip Rouka, I actually really liked her and her whole story and relationship with Kanbaru.

8/10 for this arc
Oct 15, 2021 3:24 AM
Aug 2021
And so Numachi's last rites were performed my Kanbaru Suruga. I loved the ED a lot as it showed their relationship as friends and as enemies.

Araragi remains a siscon- _ -
I don't get why the series is called "Hana"monogatari. The only flower element was the part where Araragi makes a flower patterned domino.

This installment is an 8/10. I found Numachi's story to be quite interesting and it was great seeing Kaiki and Araragi. I also love the ED.
Nov 17, 2021 9:42 PM
Feb 2017
Goddamn this was fucking *BORING*! They also did the dead all long thing with Hachikuj
It's Aiko!!!!
May 2, 2022 1:14 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Beautiful story; somewhat dark, but overall touching, heart-breaking, and bitter-sweet. There's quite a lot to unpack and wrap your head around, but I think a number of people in this discussion thread have captured the essence of most of the points that Hanamonogatari was trying to get across quite nicely. For me, what I'm going to be taking away from this is Kanbaru having her hair cut. It saddens me to see it go, but nonetheless is satisfactory as we see that she is now moving on. I also love how she had Araragi cut her hair, the senpai whom she looked up to, and he in a way is helping her in continuing her journey through youth.

As far as the anime goes, Hanamonogatari chronologically occurs last, and I have indeed saved it for last (or, almost last, I'm actually saving Zoku Owarimonogatari to finish everything off) instead of sticking to the watching order in which I would have otherwise watched right after the Second Season. Why this aired not even a year after Second Season puzzles me, as I would think it would've been more effective to save this for later. We do get post-graduation Araragi after all, and Kaiki as well. Perhaps they knew everyone would want to see Kaiki again ASAP so maybe that's why, who knows. Then again, the airing order is far from chronological and maybe that was intended to make things more... interesting for lack of a better term. But hey, I'm not complaining. At least now we have the choices available in how to watch the monogatari series with everything that happens before the monster season now having been aired as of 2019 I believe, with Zoku Owarimonogatari.

Anyway, in case you're wondering, I watched this right after finishing Owarimonogatari S2. In my speculation, I think watching it as I did definitely would hit harder than watching it immediately after Second Season, aka the airing order. I think the loneliness of Kanbaru is captured better this way, as we now know that Araragi and Senjougahara have graduated as of the end of Owari S2. But that's just me. If you're sticking to the airing order, that's fine too of course. I'm just saying that I would certainly recommend someone to watch this chronologically if they were to ask me. Haven't watched Zoku yet, but if I would have to guess I would leave THAT for very last, watching Hana beforehand.

Sorry for rambling on so much. Basically, yeah, I liked it. Solid arc, great visuals once again, and a bitter-sweet but overall heart-warming story of... idk, there's a lot of ways to put it I guess. I'll just say that it was a touching story of finding peace. Yeah, I'll leave it at that. 7/10

edit: 8/10, actually.
BetaMaleUltraMay 2, 2022 1:25 AM

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 9, 2022 6:24 AM

Jan 2015

Kindki was a lot of fun to see.

Pretty.

Arc looked really nice through all episodes as expected, had a unique atmosphere to its visuals as well.

Araragi doesn't really rock the long hair, no problems with him going with it though.

This or Kaiki running was the funniest scene of the arc, for sure.

Sure this arc will hit home for people, where Monogatari Series: Second Season had numerous arcs which really resonated with me, however, as well as Bakemonogatari, even loved Nisemonogatari as well as Nekomonogatari: Kuro, but this one didn't resonate with me or hook me. It's good but outside of some character moments, specifically Kaiki, I really did not have a whole lot of interest here. I don't really have a desire to talk too harsh cause I feel like Hanamonogatari was still good, but yeah. I guess having a cold made my experience watching harder which could have impacted it, but I don't really believe so, just didn't get hooked or too invested emotionally.
Really liked its ending song, possibly my second favourite.
Aug 31, 2022 10:32 PM
Oct 2020
A good, solid story that I enjoyed but didn't feel quite as engaged as other monogatari. I accidentally watched it a little out of order, finishing all 26 eps of Second Season before Hanamonogatari. I don't think it hurt the overall story that much, however. It was interesting to see the different parts of the rainy devil coming together, even as Suraga's hand finally returned to normal. It's too bad we couldn't have Numachi do the same, since she was a pretty cool character. It's clear that she experienced a lot of misery in her life, as her ghost continued to collect misery even thought Rouka had died several years before. That was a heartbreaking part of the story that maybe is the reason I wanted to see her to return to a corporeal form and regain some happiness. OK, maybe this struck me harder than I initially thought. Hmmm, I'm gonna have to go off and have some feels about it.
Dec 14, 2022 8:07 AM

May 2015
Love Kanbaru very much.
Feb 28, 2023 8:34 PM
Apr 2022
That was amazing and at thé end a little bit disapointed. And why this conversation at the end, araragi looks like a siscon, ok its a another cultur but not for me
Mar 4, 2023 10:02 PM
Oct 2021
Numachi Rouka Past is so sadd
Sep 13, 2023 2:28 PM

Dec 2009
Notes from 2014:

Oct 28, 2023 9:01 AM
Jul 2018
Oh damn, what a good story this was. I honestly feel REALLY sad for Numachi. I was about to cry in the fifth episode (last part). Rest in peace now, you've been dead for three years. I am glad Suruga was there for her
Nov 2, 2023 5:57 AM

May 2021
Araragi should cut his own hair too while he's at it.

Dec 4, 2023 8:14 AM

Nov 2023
Bye bye Numachi, and thank you for being an oddity to be able to get that cursed item off of her
Mar 1, 9:29 PM
Feb 2021
Araragi should cut his hair too. Not my favorite ending to any arc, but the arc as a whole was really good.

I am kinda getting to the point where I want some sort of status quo change, but that's probably going to happen next since this (presumably) takes place after the rest of second season.

Araragi is also more attracted to his sisters, a 500 year old vampire loli, and an actual loli than his girlfriend. What a fucking guy
Apr 3, 7:23 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
And here I am finding myself at the end of another short series that I wish was longer, man I really enjoyed this one, I think this was Top 3 Monogatari arcs for me so far. Really enjoyed the story between Kanbaru and Numachi, from the early discussions to finding out she’s already dead, and then the final basketball game and Numachi’s last moments, oh man that’s the good shit right there. I also can’t forget to mention Kaiki’s return, I know some folks probably weren’t surprised or didn’t care as much but as I mentioned before, I could easily see things going either way with him so I was very happy to see him again, and once again he was an MVP of this arc despite not playing as big a role.

And of course there was Araragi who I don’t think necessarily needed to appear in this arc, but I can’t lie his comments about Karen at the end were damn funny, the “bling” line especially got me lol. And we actually got to see a Monogatari girl’s hairstyle change within an episode, and it was Araragi himself who did the honors, and now Kanbaru is back to how she looked in Bakemonogatari, haven’t seen her like that in years since it was 2019 when I watched it lol. And I want to talk about Numachi a bit, I don’t think I truly get why she was collecting the Devil’s parts, or what would have happened if she got them all, but I do know that I really liked her time in the spotlight with Kanbaru and that she will be a character I won’t forget despite her short time in the series, I really enjoyed her story. It is also kinda funny how Kanbaru regretted not kissing her when she saw how cute she was in the light lol, that also got me.

And I also want to mention the OP and ED are definitely two of my favorites of the series, i think I knew this from the first time I heard them, not often that I instantly love anime songs like that, really loved both the songs and the visuals. And now it’s time to move on to the “Final Season” which consists of many things, including the Kizu movies, so this is where the fun begins I suppose lol, jk it’s been a good time.
Apr 24, 10:07 AM

Jul 2016
Weakest Monogatari installment so far. And I'm counting Nise in that bunch.

Overall, a rather boring arc that was saved from being completely forgettable by Kaiki and Araragi's appearances.
Numachi as antagonist was uninteresting as well as unlikeable (practically a plot device for Kanbaru to finally get rid of that monkey arm) and as much as I like/love Kanbaru, she clearly can't carry an arc/story on her own. She isn't exactly reserved nor a quiet person yet her lack of presence was really notorious throughout these episodes.

5/10 - Did this really need 5 episodes to tackle such simple concepts? Not really but we all know Monogatari loves to go the extra mile if that means explaining the simplest of things in the most roundabout way possible.
May 24, 2:40 PM

Jul 2023
It was very sad and lonely to watch. Rest in peace Numachi...
Jun 1, 7:13 PM
Sep 2022
I mean damn I can't understand why some people think this arc is awful. Some of it is confusing with the timeline and such, and there's a lot of chatting, but honestly, probably 2nd fav arc so far behind Shinobu/Araragi time-travel arc.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hanamonogatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Mills - Aug 16, 2014

74 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 20, 3:51 PM

Poll: » Hanamonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2014

57 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 19, 3:29 PM

Poll: » Hanamonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tj_odee - Aug 19, 2014

110 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 18, 3:31 PM

Poll: » Hanamonogatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2014

112 by TheColonel76 »»
Mar 28, 6:20 PM

» Is this really the true watch order?

Patefes - Jul 16, 2022

14 by INSANELYWP »»
Aug 1, 2023 12:08 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.