Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jan 11, 2020 7:32 PM

Mar 2015
Another excellent episode!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 14, 2020 8:41 AM

Feb 2016
Ok 'dis the episode that made me lose interest in the series. While I enjoy the story, there were parts of the plot I always though were bad writing. So far this takes the prize though. On Thorfinns part, mainly. Most stereotypical anime reasoning ever: "Hurrdurr you can't kill that guy before I kill him". Could also, I don't know, have acted with the rebelling men, and dueled him then?
Call-Me-CaptainJan 14, 2020 8:46 AM
Jan 15, 2020 5:58 PM

Jan 2019
Call-Me-Captain said:
Ok 'dis the episode that made me lose interest in the series. While I enjoy the story, there were parts of the plot I always though were bad writing. So far this takes the prize though. On Thorfinns part, mainly. Most stereotypical anime reasoning ever: "Hurrdurr you can't kill that guy before I kill him". Could also, I don't know, have acted with the rebelling men, and dueled him then?

Bad writing? pffft, tell me which parts you think exactly that and I'll prove you wrong.
Yeah, Thorfinn's "Hurrdurr you can't kill that guy before I kill him" is completely in his character. The point is that his obsession, Askeladd, is in danger, making him ignore everything else to stop another from killing him. Think of how a character is structured and step into their own shoes instead of applying your own logic.
Plus, it's not a stereotypical anime reasoning if it makes fun of its own self, in this case, Thorfinn's character.
Jan 19, 2020 3:20 PM

Nov 2012
Called all of ask a lad's men dying besides thorfinn the prince and bjorn.

I'm starting to get the feeling ask a lad will die without thorfinn getting his revenge which will hopefully motivate him to finally return home.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Feb 18, 2020 11:42 PM

Dec 2012
LOL Thorkell! Holy shit! Such a badass.

It's a relief to see the mercs finally put down. Askeladd has shaped up into a complex and likable character, but his men always felt like trash. And for all of their complaints about Askeladd, his luck couldn't be better.
Mar 11, 2020 11:46 AM

Apr 2016
"You'd better not die until I kill you" Thorfinn used the highly renown statement. I'm surprised Thorfinn chose to stick with Askeladd even after the betrayal of his men. Their relationship really is strange.

I do wonder if anyone can find it in themselves to be sympathetic of Askeladd. I highly doubt it at this point, but there might be a few exceptions here and there.

Mar 24, 2020 9:49 AM

Mar 2019
Damn,Askeladd.I just don't know what to say.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Apr 2, 2020 7:30 PM

Dec 2019
Askeladd held his ground versus 50 men, well that was expected, damn next episode is looking spicy.
                                                         🖤   

Apr 19, 2020 10:23 AM

Mar 2016
I lost it at Thorkell’s horse punch lmao. Poor horse.
Apr 30, 2020 9:31 AM

Jan 2019
This manga must be incredible if fans are complaining about that fight animation. To me, it seemed entirely average, but maybe that's not the standard y'all are holding this to? Consider me intrigued.

I thought Askeladd was going to die in the same way he killed Thors, but looks like Thorfinn is going to stop that narrative symmetry.
May 1, 2020 4:37 AM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
As if the rebels would think a warrior like Thorkell would be fine with them just deserting and betraying their leader. Once a traitor always a traitor.

Loved that image of Thorkell looking humongous, laughing like a maniac with the two crossed axes in front of the rebel leader. I'd be scared too!

Can't wait for the duel next ep!
May 8, 2020 8:37 AM

May 2016
Askeladd holding off his own men so the few allies he had left can make a run for it was really exciting. While dying a death that involves being pierced by arrows all over his body at the hands of his former cronies would've been a very poetic death for Thors' murderer, the satisfaction I got from Thorkell announcing the killing of everyone except for Askeladd was a lot more intense.

Thorfinn's finally going to face Thorkell to finish things between them once and for all and considering how everything's already fallen apart, I'm very curious on how the story will continue after this.

May 10, 2020 5:03 PM
Apr 2018
Holy fuck, this was amazing. Is there a secret behind Askeladd's sword? Maybe I missed something.

I wanted Thorkell to make Tolgrim suffer. Idiot.

F for Thorfinn
Jun 4, 2020 12:15 AM
Dec 2019
This was such a great episode. I can see why people say Askeladd is a lovable villian. The things he has done are horrific, but but as a character he is really interesting.

I enjoyed that we we got more of Askeladds backstory, but still want to know more. But i cannot wait for the Thorfinn Vs Thorkell fight! its gonna so good!
Jun 7, 2020 8:02 AM

Aug 2015
I think it would be really interesting if Askeladd died because of someone (or something) else, so that Thorfinn never gets to kill him. I'm curious on how that would shape Thorfinn if he loses what seems to be his only reason to exist. Maybe he'll get his childhood dream back; maybe he'll go see his remaining family; maybe he'll spiral out of control. Who knows? Maybe he'll learn what his father meant with ''you have no enemies''. Either way, it would be interesting
...At least let me finish.

Jun 10, 2020 12:24 PM
Sep 2018
This is for me the best episode of vinland I've seen so far. It was crazy, it was awesome. And in the next episode there will be: Thorfinn vs. Thorkell OMG.
Jul 12, 2020 12:27 PM

Mar 2010
Its kinda sad when your bro's betray you. I understand if people get tired with one another.. but man after a decade or two who thinks like that? glad they got slaughtered.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Aug 11, 2020 1:26 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Thorkell is one of the most badass monsters ever !! This is too epic xD
張大です for 張大勇督察
Aug 28, 2020 4:43 AM

Feb 2013
The traitors will get what they deserve, death!
Sep 16, 2020 11:34 PM
Oct 2019
Man... Thorkell is totally a boss... he is my fv character in this series.
Thorfinn: Give me Askeladd or i'll kill you
Thorkell:"Hahaha.. then i won't give..." Some punch lines he got...

TBH Thorkell is a beast but thorfinn will become more than a beast in his future.
Oct 4, 2020 9:52 PM
Oct 2019
Finally another good episode. Even if it took until the final 5 minutes to become good.
Dec 29, 2020 3:39 PM

Jul 2015
Damn, for people boosting all the time about being great warriors, Askeladd's ex-crew sure didn't die like that. Pretty hype on the second round between Thorkell and Thorfinn!

Mar 9, 2021 7:09 AM
Mar 2021
Elucid said:
Call-Me-Captain said:

Bad writing? pffft, tell me which parts you think exactly that and I'll prove you wrong.
Yeah, Thorfinn's "Hurrdurr you can't kill that guy before I kill him" is completely in his character. The point is that his obsession, Askeladd, is in danger, making him ignore everything else to stop another from killing him. Think of how a character is structured and step into their own shoes instead of applying your own logic.
Plus, it's not a stereotypical anime reasoning if it makes fun of its own self, in this case, Thorfinn's character.

The power scaling doesn't bother you at all? What's even the point of having a war setting in a historical drama if everything is going to be reduced to typical 1v1 shounen fights? Oh you've been cornered by 50 people? No worries, just go one shot all of them.

We've seen almost little to no military acumen being displayed. Just have a man throw stones at 4K standing soldiers. Have the archers stand in front of the enemy with no shields etc. The anime takes no advantage of its setting.

Maybe I had the wrong expectations coming in I guess.

As for the characterization, your point is inane. Actual people don't operate in a singular plane of thought. Apart from one minor instance up til now, we haven't seen Thorfinn question his decision to support Askeladd or his own actions supporting Askeladd's success/survival. We've seen very little of the impact leaving his family had on him. If the entire character and subsequently his decisions can be boiled down to one sentiment/emotion, in this case "obsession, then it really isn't realistic/good characterization.

The Spoiler is for the next episode or two.
OGPotatoMar 9, 2021 8:26 AM
Mar 13, 2021 2:37 AM
Feb 2021
💜💚💝💜💗💜💜💝💗💜💟💝💗💖💗💜💝💞
Jun 26, 2021 9:28 PM

Jun 2020
Seems this is what Askeladd really anticipated the betrayal by his men and looks like they're on their own almost all of his men is against his side

Thorfinn's skills are really improving I must say like every day he's getting good damn I like his development in this season, Their betrayal was for nothing and Thorkell just slaughtered them and his men that one guy probably died from shock just by seeing how Thorkell is approaching him to fight

Oh this is on Thorfinn caught up to them and this time he's not fucking around and duels Thorkell this is going to be one intense fight.

Aug 5, 2021 7:12 AM

Apr 2013
Thorfinn really hasn't gotten any smarter in all these years.
Sep 25, 2021 8:07 PM

Mar 2016
Askeladd revealed to his men that he has always hated ten all and began to curse their bloodline, only to be overwhelmed by their numbers and his old age. Poor Askeladd, at this point he may lose to Thorfinn simply because he's not as healthy and young as he once was.

Gotta hand it to them, they know how to make small conversations, Thorkell and Askeladd just up and talked to one another as casually as if they were best buds, just a few words of exchange and a couple of pretty smiles and Askeladd got spared whereas his men are not. Still, the spirit of the Vikings stood strong, none shall die without an effort to fight back, even if they were traitors and cowards, they must die like a warrior so, on that note, it's pretty admirable as far as slaughter-fest goes. I especially like Askeladd's mockery for Torgrim the cowardly fatass lmao. The guy is literally petrified to oblivion.

Sep 29, 2021 7:48 PM

Feb 2009
Good lord Thorkel's presence is earth-shattering! What a fearful enemy! Hoping for a great fight next episode.
Oct 6, 2021 11:55 PM

Mar 2021
wow i didn't thought i'd see askeladd will be cornered like that

great episode <3
Nov 17, 2021 9:03 AM
Nov 2020
Ha, all the guys who betrayed Askellad got what they deserved. Thorkell's and his men are too nice though. They actually let them go to Valhalla!
Nov 19, 2021 3:35 AM

Jul 2016
damn, askeladd is a horrible guy who deserves to die to be frank, but i don't want that to happen regardless for some reason. he has this sort of charisma, wit, peculiar-ness, and intelligence about him. yet we see him killing, plundering, torturing all the time. wtf? i should be glad that he's old and ripe for the harvest. i should be fricking glad... and i'm not lol. if he dies, we're gonna lose a good ass villain.
Jan 7, 2022 5:43 AM

Dec 2007
thorkell is my new favourite character for this series.

thorfin vs thorkell gonna be epic.
Jan 27, 2022 7:27 AM

Jan 2021
As someone who saw Vinland Saga anime only, I didn't see any problems this episode
Can't wait for Thorfinn vs Thorkell fight next episode it is going to be insane
Thorkell is so god damn OP, I wonder who will win
Askeladd still hanging in there, I didn't know he was this strong, even after he aged so much

Mar 12, 2022 8:26 AM

Jun 2019
Man... things are getting more and more intense with each episode. As I expected, everyone that betrayed Askeladd got killed by Thorkell. LOL. Also, Thorfinn arrived at the scene and looks like he's going to have a duel with Thorkell.
Apr 26, 2022 7:14 PM

May 2021
Oof, what an intense episode. Askeladd calculated properly it seems, except for Thorfinn, that is.

Aug 2, 2022 6:21 PM

Apr 2018
Thorkell scared the bejessus out of me. I'd die of shock too.
Aug 9, 2022 6:56 AM

Jul 2021
Watching Thorkell always hypes me up.

Watching Torgrim die of just shock was so sad but also kind of funny. F for Torgrim, no Valhalla for him.

And seems like Askeladd also wants to go to Vinland.

Great fucking episode.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Aug 26, 2022 3:41 PM
Jul 2022
The whole betrayal thing caught me off guard for a second, but afterwards the whole episode was straight fire!
Oct 8, 2022 3:45 AM
Jul 2018
this episode is truly Amazing loved every second
Nov 18, 2022 2:18 PM

Jul 2017
Episode wasn't too bad, some nice tension building at times although maybe a little dragged out at times with Askeladd's crew but the production quality was mostly a let down. Some panels were replicated from the manga, but in such a lackluster and inferior fashion that it didn't deliver any intimidation about them, animation was a bit rough and the attention to detail and consistency with the character designs were really lacking (especially in the 2nd half of this episode). This was not an episode bad enough to where the director had to apologize due to people's complaints about it, but it still was a let down compared to what it could have been. Since the content was actually better here than the previous bunch of episodes barring 14, the production still had good moments here but it did feel really flat and lacked some form of tension and belief in the final parts of this episode. The middle did feel stretched out too since the episode definitely reeked of stalling to fit the cliffhanger in there properly with Thorfinn and Thorkell facing off against each other.
Dec 23, 2022 2:13 AM

Nov 2020
W anime. W Vinland Saga. W Vinland Peak. W everything.
Dec 23, 2022 9:54 PM

Dec 2022
I love Thorfinn went crazy and still made it known that he is trying to kill Askeladd. At times I got a tad nervous that storyline may change, but thankfully, he 100% still wants to kill him.

I really liked how Askeladd's character is portrayed, at one side he's a viking bandit doing despicable things which makes you loathe him, but later he relates himself with the heroic King Artorius which kinda portrays him as good.

Dec 27, 2022 8:12 PM

Jan 2020
Can't help but think that Thorfinn is going to get his ass beat next episode. Sigh. It'll be a good fight though. 
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Jan 14, 2023 4:35 PM
Oct 2017
He just punched the horse. Damn!
Jan 29, 2023 10:14 PM
Dec 2017
im so high rn yes sir
Feb 3, 2023 5:38 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
What better bodyguard is there to have other than one that wants to kill you themselves

Imagine Thorfinn seeing the person who probably matters most in his life, riddled with arrows for yet a second time

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 12, 2023 3:59 AM
Nov 2022
no doubt one of the best in not the best ep so far
Feb 16, 2023 9:15 AM
Aug 2022
best episode of the show so far
Feb 18, 2023 9:49 PM

Sep 2015
Whew, despite Askeladd being old, hes still going strong.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Feb 22, 2023 2:55 AM
Feb 2023
banger ep, thorkell is so cool
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2019

256 by FarCritical »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by FarCritical »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2019

174 by FarCritical »»
May 29, 11:17 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2019

329 by FarCritical »»
May 29, 8:09 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2019

397 by FarCritical »»
May 27, 12:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.