Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Apr 13, 2019 12:13 PM

May 2015
Hahaha.
Pure trash that proudly accepts it and invites us to go along the trip. Loved it.
Apr 13, 2019 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
It's crazy, but I like it :D
Apr 13, 2019 1:19 PM

Mar 2009
God bless these visuals. Classic Ikuhara so far. Love him or hate him, there's no in-between.
Apr 13, 2019 3:10 PM
Mar 2017
[quote=skacinth message=57372456]
kofmaster said:
Trying to fill the Ikuhara's Bingo for this first episode
(Warning: There are spoilers to other ikuhara shows on the bingo)

I can say that THIS WAS FREAKING AWESOME FIRST EPISODE. Moterfucking Ikuhara.

I think that this analysis is great. That quote though, alive as you are dead, I think that is going to be a major theme in this show. The way I take it is if you don't have any connections or any meaningful relationships in your life, you might as well just be dead. And to have a meaningful relationship, that means there are no secrets between one another. I'm glad there are other people doing analysis on this show too!
Apr 13, 2019 3:39 PM

Oct 2015
kofmaster said:
Trying to fill the Ikuhara's Bingo for this first episode
(Warning: There are spoilers to other ikuhara shows on the bingo)

I can say that THIS WAS FREAKING AWESOME FIRST EPISODE. Moterfucking Ikuhara.
You can add suffering to that xD
Apr 13, 2019 3:43 PM

May 2015
I'm all in for Ikuhara's wild ride.
Apr 13, 2019 4:11 PM

Mar 2017
kofmaster said:
Minar-kyun said:
This weird world setting. It reminded me of Mawaru Penguindrum. I wanna slap myself for wanting to skip this show at first lol. Interesting show. Shirikodama? That's funny.

Is the same author than Mawaru.
No wonder the style is so identical. And that unique humour.
Apr 13, 2019 6:13 PM
Dec 2016

Ikuhara fans say "ア" means "object petit a" from Lacan's psychoanalysis theory.
https://hilosophia.hatenablog.com/entry/2019/04/12/040243

Then, we can easily understand what Ikuhara wants to say in this series.
"Don't give up on your desire" -Lacan
I don't know about global situations, but philosophy about over-connectedness was trending in Japan. Ikuhara brought anus image from kappa myth and added the psychoanalysis background into it.
Our desire is so easily controlled by the technological environment that we don't know what we really wanted to do. Desire is never free from restraints by some forms of others, but we also never should stop checking our desire function. Only desire leads us to some kind of actions beyond our current status.
e_hobaApr 13, 2019 6:16 PM
Apr 13, 2019 8:46 PM
Jan 2016
If anyone is wondering why its so weird well its because of Kunihiko Ikuhara

But holy shit, the animation the best this year ( i haven't seen mob psycho 100 2 nor Dororo ), abstract and weird storytelling. I highly recommend watch Asenshi version because better encoding and subtitles are superior than Crunchyroll. I feel if your a Japanese ( I'm not) this probably be more impactful due to subtle signs shown everywhere in the series.

Anyways MAPPA and Lapin Track did an incredible job and seriously underrated. When looking at the top animes this season.
Apr 13, 2019 9:27 PM

Dec 2015
Japs and their folklore are fucking weird. Jesus Christ.
Apr 13, 2019 9:36 PM

Oct 2017
e_hoba said:

Ikuhara fans say "ア" means "object petit a" from Lacan's psychoanalysis theory.
https://hilosophia.hatenablog.com/entry/2019/04/12/040243

Then, we can easily understand what Ikuhara wants to say in this series.
"Don't give up on your desire" -Lacan
I don't know about global situations, but philosophy about over-connectedness was trending in Japan. Ikuhara brought anus image from kappa myth and added the psychoanalysis background into it.
Our desire is so easily controlled by the technological environment that we don't know what we really wanted to do. Desire is never free from restraints by some forms of others, but we also never should stop checking our desire function. Only desire leads us to some kind of actions beyond our current status.
Ah, someone finally decipher the message. Now I can sleep peacefully.
Apr 14, 2019 1:43 AM
Jan 2016
don't really understand the low score because it's so much better than a lot of animes this season. But anyways animation was incredible, but how it was framed was even more impressive. Definitely exciting to keep watching this and feel like this will be the underrated gem this season.
Apr 14, 2019 2:13 AM
Mar 2012
Learned of Shirikodama myth from Gegege Kitaro, but this is a whole nother level of insanity. That amazing mappa animation, bizarre directing with tons of symbolism.
...and musical super sentai fight
The consumerism theme from desire seems a not-so-light jab at Amazon boxes. Hope the "Connection" idea won't be hamfisted like princeofstride.
The chopping cucumber reminds me of that heel clamping in yurikumaarashi.
Apr 14, 2019 2:59 AM
Dec 2018
Nerd_Zone1 said:
don't really understand the low score because it's so much better than a lot of animes this season. But anyways animation was incredible, but how it was framed was even more impressive. Definitely exciting to keep watching this and feel like this will be the underrated gem this season.

chill dude, It's only eps 1 🙏
Apr 14, 2019 3:05 AM

Dec 2014
why are people liking this.... though animation was good... butt too much absurdness
Apr 14, 2019 3:19 AM
Apr 2016
ibraheem234 said:
why are people liking this.... though animation was good... butt too much absurdness

...Because it's actually good? The animation is good, the concept is very unique and original, many people are fans of the director Ikuhara and we know his surreal style and that his work always delivers. The themes of connections, desire, love, sexuality, social media technology, consumerism are multi-layered and intriguing.
Apr 14, 2019 4:30 AM

Nov 2016
Wow.

I'm so ready for this, this is wild and was so fun to watch lmao
Apr 14, 2019 4:36 AM
Apr 2019
Man.. its mawaru penguindrum all over again...
Apr 14, 2019 5:01 AM
Jan 2016
MOMOpatisierre said:
Nerd_Zone1 said:

chill dude, It's only eps 1 🙏

lol i just surprised i actually like something this season ( currently been watching old anime like Heidi: Girl of the Alps and Nadia and been playing switch games). Also yeah I'm chilled
Apr 14, 2019 6:26 AM

Oct 2017
ibraheem234 said:

Sums up Western general norms and majority of Mal users as a whole.

They don't accept anything unique and different , thus Hollywood always produce generic movies that try to play extremely safe.
Many JP studios too, try to produce generic genre (high-school dude go to isekai) storytelling and art-style in fear of audience not favouring it. (Not knowing this is what makes them mediocre to begin with lolz)

Also I expect the story to get dark/ serious in later half. This is exactly like Monogatari series I bet. Foreshadowing, symbolism, and lots of hidden meanings.

PS: Most of the absurdness in the show is base on Japanese mythology.
Most mythologies are absurd/ weird, or even creepy. This is true in almost every religion.
Ventus_SApr 14, 2019 6:34 AM
Apr 14, 2019 6:55 AM

Jun 2012
What the fuck did I just watch?

Only in Japan.
Apr 14, 2019 8:17 AM

Apr 2015
gophercg said:
That amazing mappa animation

Funny that you say that cause the entirety of the first episode has been produced at Ikuhara's personal team at Lapintrack.
Apr 14, 2019 8:43 AM

Dec 2015
4/5 What a great start !

I wasn't expecting an anal penetration so early in the series though.

gophercg said:
Do you have info who's in the team? Are they new? The page is somewhat empty:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/producer/1828/Lapin_Track

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=13454
Rei_IIIApr 15, 2019 8:33 AM
Apr 14, 2019 9:12 AM
Jan 2019
Is so bizarre!!! I love this first episode!
Apr 14, 2019 10:59 AM

Dec 2018
holy heck, i totally didn't expect that plot twist!! Can't wait to see the explanation for it!
Apr 14, 2019 1:12 PM
Jul 2013
Natsuaki said:

Or maybe that's just episode one. (Plus I really don't think the little girl we saw will be romantically pursued).

It's Kazuki's little brother actually (They don't share the surname tho). Crunchyroll just fucked up the subs lol
Apr 14, 2019 2:07 PM
Treasure Hunter

Feb 2014
Ventus_S said:
ibraheem234 said:

Sums up Western general norms and majority of Mal users as a whole.

They don't accept anything unique and different , thus Hollywood always produce generic movies that try to play extremely safe.
Many JP studios too, try to produce generic genre (high-school dude go to isekai) storytelling and art-style in fear of audience not favouring it. (Not knowing this is what makes them mediocre to begin with lolz)

Also I expect the story to get dark/ serious in later half. This is exactly like Monogatari series I bet. Foreshadowing, symbolism, and lots of hidden meanings.

PS: Most of the absurdness in the show is base on Japanese mythology.
Most mythologies are absurd/ weird, or even creepy. This is true in almost every religion.

Agreed. Some people are always going to think it's just random weirdness or don't want to "invest" their patience into this kind of show - which is fine, to each their own - but I'm still somewhat shocked it has this low a rating.
Even if that rating only really gets "accurate" of the overall perception a couple weeks into the season, the first impression ratings are mostly driven by hype, anyway.
In Fall, Gridman had like what, a 6.4 after episode 1?

Mika-taicho said:
Natsuaki said:

Or maybe that's just episode one. (Plus I really don't think the little girl we saw will be romantically pursued).

It's Kazuki's little brother actually (They don't share the surname tho). Crunchyroll just fucked up the subs lol

Oh, damn, I must've somehow missed that. That lowers the amount of female characters basically to just one?
There is nothing terribly wrong with feeling lost, so long as that feeling precedes some plan on your part to actually do something about it. Too often a person grows complacent with their disillusionment, wearing their discomfort like a favorite shirt - Johnny C.

Apr 14, 2019 5:01 PM
Dec 2013
hakaihisaki said:
Azrita said:
I would have enjoyed this so much more if the main characters weren't children. Not a fan of the pedo vibes tbh

Agreed.
I felt uncomfortable watching this, especially with my family in the same room (at least I had headphones on)

I'm glad at least one person gets what I'm saying, it's really weird that not a lot of people are acknowledging this. Or at least I haven't seen anyone talking about it yet, maybe more will as the season progresses
Apr 14, 2019 5:57 PM

Mar 2017
Crazier than Penguindrum, will probably be more convoluted too, but I'm in for the long haul. I know it'll be divisive, but I've seen a handful of other first episodes this season and this is easily the best.
Apr 14, 2019 6:43 PM

Mar 2016
Is Ikuhara ever gonna stop surprising me?
Apr 14, 2019 7:41 PM
Mar 2012
Fappa said:
gophercg said:
That amazing mappa animation

Funny that you say that cause the entirety of the first episode has been produced at Ikuhara's personal team at Lapintrack.

Still funny indeed. Do you have info who's in the team? Are they new? The page is somewhat empty:
Apr 14, 2019 7:56 PM

Jun 2015
so much happened in one episode that i'm a bit confused
Apr 14, 2019 9:18 PM

Jul 2014
Wow, been a while since the last time I saw this kind of visuals, Mawaru Penguindrum vibes all over the place (same director, duh), reminds me to the days when I started to watch anime.
Apr 15, 2019 1:07 AM

Oct 2010
This was the best and worst anime I've ever seen in 30 minutes. Can't wait to have my mind exploded next week.
Apr 15, 2019 4:23 AM
Nov 2011
Anime of the year, I love the first episode beyond the bounds of reason.
Apr 15, 2019 7:14 AM
Aug 2017
TheNoNameGuy said:
Where do you watch it
It's on Crunchyroll
Apr 15, 2019 8:53 AM

Jul 2016
What the hell... Weird but interesting in some way.
Apr 15, 2019 12:54 PM

Apr 2017
WTF?! I mean... WTF?!
WTF did I just watch?!
I initially thought 1GB per episode was too much, and I was gonna delete it after watching. Well, nope.
Apr 15, 2019 6:26 PM
Apr 2018
I can't not love Ikuhara; he's easily my favorite anime director just on the merit of how outlandish his imagery is. Seems Sarazanmai is gonna be the most outlandish one yet. So hyped
Apr 15, 2019 7:19 PM

Jun 2013
"I am confusion!"

Never has butt play been so surreal.
Apr 15, 2019 11:10 PM
Mar 2012
Rei366 said:
4/5 What a great start !

I wasn't expecting an anal penetration so early in the series though.

gophercg said:
Do you have info who's in the team? Are they new? The page is somewhat empty:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=13454

Nice. Mal should at least add YKA if that's accurate. On ann it doesn't state which Sarazanmai episodes they work on yet.
Apr 16, 2019 5:32 AM

Dec 2017
Really crazy and impressive first episode

Sponsored by kappazon lol

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Apr 16, 2019 9:51 AM
Dec 2016
Dafuq did I just watch?
Apr 16, 2019 10:04 AM

Jan 2019
Super quality production... weird, quirky, goofy context... kawaii boyz... inventive art style with lots of different animation styles... I had so much fun watchin this!

Also, the peggies on the ED is EXTRA FRESH.
Apr 16, 2019 4:44 PM

Jan 2015
I've been away from anime these past months... and when I just check how things are I find that Ikuhara is doing it again. I loved the episode, totally my shit. Loved penguindrum and this one is even weirder, and still makes some sense. Toadally awesome.
Apr 16, 2019 6:35 PM
Jun 2016
I am so confused as to what the hell I just watched but this was fantastic. LOL Also loved the animation style. Nice hearing The Peggies at the end.
Apr 16, 2019 8:44 PM

Mar 2009
Bunnybooboo2234 said:
Claptrap said:
Wonder if the main character is trans or just enjoys crossdressing. Not sure how Ikuhara wants to tackle that.

Anyway... definitely going to be a series heavy on the gay sex metaphors.

The main character clearly gave a reason for why he cross dresses. He doesn’t do it for his own enjoyment and was clearly ashamed of it. The episode revealed that his secret is that he cross dresses for his little brother who likes the idol Sara, as in he impersonates her for that reason and sends the pictures to him. He, as far as we know right now, is not trans. Being a cross dresser and transgender are two things that should not be conflated,

Just because he keeps it a secret and doesn't want people to know doesn't mean he doesn't do it for himself. There's still a lot of questions to be answered.

I'm just puzzled by why youre acting like this has a definite answer when it really doesn't.

Also, that's definitely not his little brother. We don't know how that girl is connected to him at all, actually
Apr 16, 2019 8:59 PM
Dec 2016
Claptrap said:
Bunnybooboo2234 said:

The main character clearly gave a reason for why he cross dresses. He doesn’t do it for his own enjoyment and was clearly ashamed of it. The episode revealed that his secret is that he cross dresses for his little brother who likes the idol Sara, as in he impersonates her for that reason and sends the pictures to him. He, as far as we know right now, is not trans. Being a cross dresser and transgender are two things that should not be conflated,

Just because he keeps it a secret and doesn't want people to know doesn't mean he doesn't do it for himself. There's still a lot of questions to be answered.

I'm just puzzled by why youre acting like this has a definite answer when it really doesn't.

Also, that's definitely not his little brother. We don't know how that girl is connected to him at all, actually

e_hobaApr 16, 2019 9:20 PM
Apr 16, 2019 9:06 PM

Mar 2008
This was fucking genius. Gloriously-animated. Adore the ED especially.
Apr 16, 2019 9:08 PM

Mar 2008
big_Tortoise said:
MAPPA is back at again with some great shit given to us in a full course meal, with dessert to top it off

uninstallthegame said:
MAPPA sometimes does the wildest shit lmao

FWIW, the first episode was pretty much entirely by people from Lapintrack, and not the work of MAPPA.

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2019/04/12/sarazanmai-production-notes-01/
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2019

186 by thegoishady »»
Aug 7, 2023 7:02 AM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2019

140 by 3miL »»
Apr 29, 2023 10:06 PM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2019

70 by nifetiseBOY »»
Feb 11, 2023 5:02 AM

» Is this tagged as yaoi?

FragileGlass - May 6, 2019

12 by Teirayo »»
Feb 25, 2022 3:11 PM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 16, 2019

67 by smX89 »»
Feb 22, 2022 12:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.