Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Jul 13, 2019 9:46 PM

Mar 2012
I think 2-hour dramas such as Sayoasa will always have different mileage depending on the audience, but I thought this was perhaps the most emotionally sophisticated anime series/movie I've watched, and it's hard to even come up with something close to it.

The fact of the matter is the plot is incredibly lackluster. But that's probably never the point of Sayoasa: what it really tries to sketch out is the characters and their development and change from start to finish. And in that respect, I would say it succeeded in large measure. Everything obviously began with the trauma caused by the invasion of Iorph and the displacement of their people. From there, paths diverged significantly. Maquia found Ariel and ultimately her calling--which is to continue forging bonds and writing Ariel's story despite the goodbyes she will have to say along the way. Leilia lost her freedom and all else against her will, but in the end found the will to be free and let go of her past. Krim unfortunately, but understandably, became a husk of himself and drove himself to his ruin.

The most interesting character was of course Ariel, who may well have had a feeling for Maquia at some point, but strove to forge his own path and eventually did so with resolve. It's honestly difficult for me to summarize Ariel because there was just so much to him. But more generally, this movie did a fantastic job with illustrating the internal struggles and multifaceted nature of life, growth, and development without trying to sugarcoat or gloss over anything. It's going to be hard to find a movie with as vivid characterizations, maturity, and attention to detail as this one. Just a great piece of work and well worth the time.
Jul 18, 2019 7:07 PM
Aug 2016
i really wish they did a better job of developing the characters and wrapping the story up. the way it ended was nice but there were so many questions i had that were unanswered.
i guess i kinda wanna know what barlow was doing there, in the after-credits scene there are kids with his skin color... ;))) him n maquia??? ;)))
but my biggest complaint is definitely w/ the development of the characters, lol.
ah, whatever - this was a good movie, i cried a lot, but i want to stop thinking about this movie.

edit: OH MAN, and also about those ~10 years in which maquia was kidnapped by krim. did ariel really like... never think to look for his missing mother?? bruh... maybe i just missed it. but yeah. wack.
SinnamonsJul 19, 2019 7:43 AM
Aug 13, 2019 7:08 PM

May 2019
Finally watched it, totally not like what I expected (somehow thought it would be another immortal girl x normal human aged until he died kind of story). The pacing is really weird, suddenly maquia got kidnapped and suddenly ariel said i will become a father and i was really confused af because i thought it’s still in the same damn timeline loool. Became a father with whom ??? and then wham he’s married with his bully from childhood LMAO i just couldnt take it seriously after that.

Also I didn’t agree with a lot of charactersk choices in this story, like it went against logical decision I expect them to do and it frustrated me so much. Near ending when the son wanted to be a soldier and when she was kidnapped, I was disappointed to not see him trying to search for her whatsoever. In the end I can’t even feel that the familial bond is on equal? Feels more like maquia playing mother instead of it being equal familial bond. This also made me dislike this movie more. In the end, since it’s movie about them and other charas are barely touched (maybe leilia? Her decision also made me ???? a lot) i cant really appreciate it for what it was. Really lacking for such a supposedly emotional movie

It’s a really nicely animated film though (backgrounds and the akihiko yoshida adapted character design are just so pretty!! Cygames should take an example from this film when animating gbf anime geez) I just feel like they could take better take of the story since the premise sounds interesting, in the end it just doesn’t feel moving at all since the character interaction is so...lacking.

A 7/10 for me, wish it could be better story wise.
umagiAug 13, 2019 7:32 PM
Aug 25, 2019 4:29 AM

May 2018
Pretty nice movie and ending. Maquia learning how to grow a child or being a mother is simply the best part of this movie. There are so many cuts from here that left us with questions that shouldn't happen if possible, this would be better as a tv series imo. Leilia's decision about abandoning her child is one of the unsatisfying scene, Leilia was like FORGET ABOUT ME and tried to escape from her. I mostly can't agree with that part, Medmel was like traumatized because of that, they like meet for the first time and that is the time also where they will part their ways, simply as greeting and saying goodbye at the same time. Ariel's decision is nice too, instead of developing a feeling for his mother he decided to do it with his childhood friend. Other than that, the ending was nice and sad at the same time. Being able to live longer is not good at all, you will only hurt yourself if you love someone even once as the elder said. I almost at the last part, I guess it wasn't that strong enough to make me cry hard.

Oct 11, 2019 10:48 AM

Nov 2017
Admit it -- you cried. T_T
Oct 15, 2019 1:45 AM

Sep 2010
Not a perfect movie by any stretch, but I did enjoy it a bit.
Damn ninjas and their onions got me at the end
Oct 31, 2019 11:09 PM

Jun 2017
A very well crafted movie that is sure to pull on your heartstrings. A very sweet and heartwarming movie about a bond between a mother and her adopted child that stood the test of time. A must watch movie created by Mari Okada. Aside from the stunning visuals and beautiful music, the story is quite something.

Damn, one of the movies that didn't only made me shed a tear but made me cry.

10/10
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Nov 10, 2019 6:50 PM

Sep 2017
Rewatched it on teathers. I don't have words to actually describe it, honestly.

Comrade, don't cry!

Decide once every certain number of years which members of the ruling class will oppress and crush the people in parliament: this is the true essence of bourgeois parliamentarism, not only in the constitutional parliamentary monarchies but in the most democratic republics
- The State and Revolution (September 1917), Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov "Lenin".
Nov 12, 2019 10:00 PM

Feb 2019
Pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a high fantasy anime with battles, wars, magic. It did have all that, but it was so much more. I didn't expect it to be a beautiful story that covers a lot of themes, chief among them being motherhood and love. I don't know how many times my eyes welled up over the course of watching the movie. From the get go it pulled at my heartstrings.

It was so heartbreaking to see how Ariel treated Maquia starting from his young adult days until they met again at the battle. Maquia didn't deserve any of that at all.

There are still some things that I have yet to understand. Such as why did Maquia have to leave when it was clear that Ariel literally called her "Mom" and didn't want her to leave. Why Leilia just left her daughter without doing anything, not embracing her, why did she leave anyway?

But the ending was still so sad yet beautiful. It really hit me when I realised that the little girl wasn't Ariel's daughter, it was her granddaughter. Yet Maquia was still so young (in appearance). And Ariel could no longer wrap his hand around hers like he did when he was a newborn. It's always painful for a mother, a parent to witness their child dying.

The scene were Maquia cried and the flowers were flying all around her, I got goosebumps and tears in my eyes. It was so beautiful, sad. Bittersweet is the best word.

Also surprised that the director is the writer of The Anthem of the Heart which I just recently watched. Truly she's a genius and one of my new favourite people in the industry.

I felt it was really beautiful and I wanted to give it a 10. But despite how beautiful and how much I loved it, I just don't feel it's "masterpiece" quality. So giving it a 9, with a 10 for me personally in my heart.

Barlow's quote though. Not all partings need to be sad.
Dec 4, 2019 12:37 PM

Jun 2019
I became interested in the works of Mari Okada lately, and I dedicated watching this movie as a start.

This movie definitely showed her talents as a screenwriter. The story was moving from the beginning to the end, the characters were interesting and got lots of development trough the story, and the animation was awesome, trough, I need to give the praise to P.A Works in that case.

And the ending....

Ok, now, I need to finish AnoHana, and then comes Anthem of the Heart, that will be one hell of a ride...
Dec 14, 2019 10:07 PM

Dec 2017
One word: BEAUTIFUL!!

Dec 20, 2019 9:59 AM

Mar 2016
yeah, it was ok :) i was moved by the ending even though the story itself was allover the place.

a strong 6/10

Dec 28, 2019 7:46 PM

Jul 2014
Kinda teetering 6/10, timeskips screws up the story. But damn the plot twists got me.

Unpopular opinion, I think Leilia should've died nearing the ending. lol screw her.
Dec 30, 2019 7:14 PM
Dec 2019
One of the worst ended anime I have ever watched. The ending sucked it would have been more better if all the characters died but it was worth experiencing a bad anime too;-O
Jan 1, 2020 7:29 AM

Jul 2011
Absolutely beautiful movie. I'm sorry for putting you off for so long.
Jan 3, 2020 8:45 AM

Dec 2009
Most beautiful anime movie i've ever watched T_T
Jan 11, 2020 4:22 PM
Apr 2017
I'm glad I was able to watch it the first time with my mom. We bonded over the experience together.
Jan 17, 2020 4:44 PM

Sep 2018
My ships T----T (I know it's not right, can't help it) it makes me sad especially the ending 😞

I don't understand about the war though.
Feb 22, 2020 1:12 PM

Jun 2009
It looked pretty. That's about the most positive thing I can say about this. The second half in particular was a complete fucking mess. 5/10, waste of time.
Feb 28, 2020 1:42 PM

Apr 2009
It's one of those movies that are average in most quantifiable aspects, but do one thing extremely well. To the point of becoming remembered not for - but through that thing. For SayoAsa it's the encapsulated essence of parenthood with all its ups and downs laid on the axis of time passage and coping with it. It did it brilliantly, but due to the nature of the theme itself, it's probably not a 'one size fits all' movie. I'd argue that younger demographics might be a bit bored with the movie and nitpick its shortcomings, while older part of the audience should appreciate it to a fuller extent.

Notwithstanding the praise, SayoAsa had its share of issues, and while they were mostly overcast by what the movie excelled in... well, they're still there.

8/10 from me. Numerous, significant issues which bent under the weight of irrefutably amazing execution of the main theme. Highly polarizing.

Mar 9, 2020 9:38 AM

Nov 2019
Pretty good movie. 7/10
Mar 31, 2020 4:43 AM
Nov 2015
What an extravagant movie..

This movie made me think about the nature of relationship & about life.
But, this movie has way too many things to say without enough depths.
Apr 1, 2020 2:54 AM
Apr 2012
It's pretty good, the ending was a little merky though.

I liked a lot of it, Ariel's angst perhaps went on a bit too long.

It was 8.5 for me, I think the plot could've used some work, dialogue was a bit weak. The themes, character development, and sound design were top notch. I was fine with the characters, some were poorly written while some were good. Animation was a hit or miss, CGI in jarring places with preceded with lower quality art. The world was cool, the idea of the world was very good.

finestseeker17 said:

But, this movie has way too many things to say without enough depths.

This sums it up.

Ending was a bit botched. But stories like this are more about the journey than the ending. But I can assure you the ending could've been better. I really enjoyed the ride. I'll say I understand the ending and what it meant, I just think it could be so much better.
HeartyaceApr 1, 2020 2:58 AM
Apr 6, 2020 3:27 AM

Apr 2015
What does Maquia mean by saying Ariel is my Hibiol? Kinda confused me and thought it's a big part of the story.
Apr 7, 2020 3:10 AM
Nov 2015
Psychedelios said:
What does Maquia mean by saying Ariel is my Hibiol? Kinda confused me and thought it's a big part of the story.

Hello. I think Hibiol is a materialization of an Iorph life documentation/record. Biography, basically.

You could start your interpretation from that premise.
Apr 12, 2020 6:32 PM

Feb 2012
I liked this overall. Knew I was going to cry because it would be sad, but dang it got me like three times at the end because I got attached to the characters lol

Story and certain details definitely could have been expanded (this is one movie I wouldn't mind seeing a series about) but I still enjoyed the ride a lot. This is one I'm probably going to buy just to recommend it to people. Not sure if I'd rewatch.
Apr 17, 2020 7:41 AM
Oct 2012
HOLY shit this hit so hard. People, love your mother before it is too late.
Apr 19, 2020 2:32 AM

Jan 2012
I was suprised, I like it a lot actually .

Yahallo!
Yatta!
Baka!

<!
"Humans, your existence was a mistake. Conflicts, lies, jealously, greed. You once caused me to lose everything and today I will devour everything... Because I am the Valkyrie Goddess">
Apr 26, 2020 4:38 PM

Jun 2014
Tbh the plot was all over the place, but the last half-hour was pretty good.
Rely on nothing under heaven
May 8, 2020 9:06 PM

May 2015
I thought I was gonna suffer a heart attack cuz all the heavy crying I was doing. Goddammit, it's been a while since I've watched something so sad.
Straight to the favorite movies of all time list it goes 10/10
May 11, 2020 5:38 PM
Apr 2019
I have watched many anime uptill now but I dont know if my taste in anime is good or bad but this movie was amazing, totally a gem
May 20, 2020 9:50 PM

May 2020
Good thing for this movie. I'd almost tear drop on the most of sad part. The bgm was really fit in every section. This how our mother taking of us please remember this. Being alone doesn't make you forever alone. That's the point imo. Thanks for the great work Okada-san. Graphic really so clean I like it

Tbh I feel like want to give this 9/10 but I feel distracted with the plot change so fast and it was shook me. 8/10 for the great movie.
Jun 6, 2020 5:32 AM
Aug 2016
Overall story is good. the relationship between Maquia and Ariel is great. but i think they botched few things toward the end

1. The shitty king and prince managed to escape and didn't get punishment they deserve for the horrible things they did

2. Krim pointlessly die. i know he was edgy and kind of annoying. but his death was unecessary. he died because Leila refuse to let go of her daughter and back to their homeland. but then at the end she leave her daughter anyway. what was the point of his death then?

3. The reunite between Maquia and Ariel was too short. what the hell was that? after separated decades Ariel just die 3 seconds after saw his mother. more interraction and chat between them. they shouldn't even show their entire chit chat they can skip to the next morning where Ariel peacefully in his sleep after spend a night for the last time with his mother.even something like Ariel say "you never changed" or you still same as i remember" would be make this scene 5x better. i feel more annoyed than sad after saw or this scene

4. Yet another reunite scene that felt too short between Leilia and her daughter.this easily the worst part of the movie. i kinda like. WTF? Leila spent years want to meet her daughter and at the same time the daughter felt lonely because her father also hate her. and then when they meet Leila just "ok time to go forget about me lol" at least bring her with you bitch!. with her status as former royalty and abandoned by her father most likely she will become political prisoner and who know what horrible things await for her

But despite all of that gonna lie the scene where Maquia remember her time together with Ariel hit me like a truck straight to the kokoro. i rarely shed tears when watching something. but that scene really had me shed manly tears

also who is that red hair girl after the credit? i thought all Iorph are blonde?

i;ll give this anime 7/10. it started as 10/10 but the story kinda mess toward the end
mat619Jun 6, 2020 6:15 AM
Jun 13, 2020 9:17 PM
Oct 2019
Omg! What a great film!!!... It's the best movie I watched after Your name!....From animation to music everything is top notched. The flashback of Ariel's childhood memories with Maquia and Maquia crying at the end of the movie brought me to tears. I wish she could have stayed with Ariel after the war ended. Even it was obvious Maquia will outlive Ariel, it was just painful to watch.
For me it's a 9/10 (-1 for their short reunion....only welcome back after they're separated for so many years.....this is the only thing I dont like)
I'm not sure if it's a good ending or bad; but I'm glad I watched this film. I highly recommend everyone to watch this film asap.

Tictac72Jun 20, 2020 7:04 AM
Jun 13, 2020 10:47 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
I cannot say with absolute confidence since a lot of time has passed between many tear jerking anime I've seen, but the final 10 minutes is definitely one of the saddest goddamn moments I've ever seen in an anime. I want to say the saddest, but again, time passes along with the level of sadness in other anime. Damn I cried my heart out.
Jun 21, 2020 9:30 PM
Jul 2019
Não tenho cm me expressar cm palavras esse filme foi ótimo .
Vários sentimentos se confrontando para no final sobrar o puro e limpo Amor😍
Jun 30, 2020 10:29 PM

May 2019
An anime about Motherhood from where you least expected it.

Just that deserves a 10/10, but also a decent plot about highlander dilemma, and the astonishing visuals of PA. Works.

Rob7Jul 1, 2020 5:03 AM
Jul 2, 2020 12:49 AM

Nov 2008
Its nice to see someone also watched the film at the same time as me ^ above poster.

It was emotional, the concepts were great which admittedly took me some time to process what was happening. I loved that me as the viewer even took time to process this little 'not so little girl is becoming a mother... how much harder it was for her to feel like a mom when Ariel started becoming a young man. Its unfortunate what he decided to do and not look back on it. I just keep remembering all the moments he LOVED his mother and always wanted to be by her side... and eventually he came to turn against her. Seems like an accurate depiction of motherhood!!!

At the end when she "breaks her promise" and BAWLS dear god I bawled too. And her getting carted away in the wagon... remembering where it all began 70+ years ago, it was quite an experience.

In my humble opinion, loving someone was worth it all in the end.
Jul 28, 2020 9:17 PM

Apr 2013
Man what a beautiful anime film! One of my new favourites for sure. The artwork was splendid and the emotions were done so well and exhibited through the characters in such a real way. Got teary at the ending too//
Aug 11, 2020 11:08 PM

Jul 2019
I'm dehydrated from all the crying
Aug 29, 2020 3:51 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I watched SayoAsa last night after wanting to watch it for so long, but I was afraid I would cry a lot. Even before the movie was released, I cried when I watched the trailers. Listening to the song "Viator" would also make me cry. Still, I went into the movie knowing some common criticisms, just so that I could proceed with caution :D

The most common criticsm I've seen is that the Leila subplot wasn't fleshed out. The time skips seem to also something people pointed out not liking. But I found neither points to have been a flaw, nor did they deter me from enjoying the movie. And I think ultimately, it's because this movie constantly evoked emotional responses from me. I cried at many different points of the movie, starting from the very first 10 minutes, when Maquia told the Elder that she had no one. It's difficult to put into words how exactly and why exactly SayoAsa was so beautiful, but I think zannett's post encapsulates my thoughts rather well.

Focusing on the plot would be missing the point. The plot is straightforward, but it only serves as stimulus for how the characters would react to the situation, how they would grow from it. Which leads to what I think it the universal theme of the film: life. Most people try to make out the most from their current circumstances, like Mido, whom Maquia met first on the outside. She learned a lot from Mido, and she always tried her best to live with Ariel, no matter how little they had, or that they had to move from place to place. In contrast, Leilia and Krim faced their own hardships but were not mentally well. Not everyone can keep themselves together, especially if they're alone. We saw how differently the characters coped with their situations. Krim's time stopped, and he was bitter that Maquia could live happily with someone she loved. Leila was on the brink of insanity, she made seeing her daughter not a goal, but an obsession that gave her a reason to keep living. That's why at the end, when she saw Medmel for the first time, Leilia could leave her daughter behind. Because she hadn't known her daughter all this time, she was just lonely. It does seem harsh, that Leilia should love the daughter she gave birth to and leave with her. But what Leilia wanted the most was freedom. One can only try to imagine what thoughts went through Leilia's head as she was isolated by herself all those years.

Loneliness is a big theme in the story as well, as it's something the Elder warned the Iorphs; that if they love something, it's when they'll truly feel alone. However, just like Maquia said in the end, partings allow for the next meeting. It's actually not the first time I've seen this line (or a similar line), but it still hit deeply since it fits the story perfectly.

I also wanted to give my interpretation on why Ariel acted the way he did towards Maquia. Ariel was caught up on why Maquia would care so much about him, someone who isn't her flesh and blood, not even someone from the same clan. I think he had a complex about his own self-worth, seeing that she struggled so much for him. He wanted to sense of the hardships they went through--from having little money, to moving from place to place in order to avoid suspicion. I think this is an important part in understanding Ariel's hurtful words and attitude towards Maquia. He was frustrated at himself the most, but lashed out at Maquia instead. Yes, it was hurtful, but I think all of us have said something or acted in a way that had hurt a parent (or both) which we deeply regretted afterwards, or now, in hindsight.

Almost forgot to talk about the visuals, it was really beautiful (as expected of Higashiji + PA Works). There's something about Higashiji's artwork that is so elegant in its execution. I can't say much about the cinematography since I was too busy sobbing, but I do recall seeing a few beautiful shots. Maybe I'll re-watch it one day and pay attention, but not anytime soon. Kawai Kenji's music is also, as usual, on point. Nothing flashy, but very fitting, reminiscent of his work in Seirei no Moribito. I particularly like the tracks "Iorph, Wakare no Ichizoku," "Haha ni Naru Hibi," and "Yakusoku no Hana."

Maquia's motherhood was really well done, but I still think that above all else, it was a story about life. I'm also not always the biggest fan of multiple time-skips, but it worked well in SayoAsa. We got to see the characters at different points of their lives. No matter what happened or the changes, they kept living, but they also never forgot each other. I think the lyrics to the theme song "Viator" supports this.

The lines "It's alright. No mattter what kind of future, the sun will rise for sure" is particularly beautiful and hopeful.
tingyAug 29, 2020 3:55 AM
Sep 19, 2020 9:37 PM

Jun 2017
Awesome animation. If only the CGI was on par with that. The dragon looked legit like it was from Overlord 3. I loved the drama in this movie. I usually don't like drama centric Japanese works maybe because they don't resonate well with me. This was a rare exception. Aside from certain weird moments such as those after Maquia's abduction, everything else was perfect. 9/10 for the movie.
Sep 29, 2020 11:37 AM

Jan 2010
I want to like this film, and I know there's a good story in here somewhere, but it feels fragmented and disjointed.

At first, I thought Maquia was going to be a romance film between an immortal girl and a human boy with the heavy-handed warnings to not fall in love. I'm happily surprised that this ended up being the love between mother and child, rather than the overdone romantic love. However, I wish the film had solely focus on Maquia and Ariel. I don't know what's the deal with the writing, but it was absurdly mean-spirited toward Leilia's character. Much of her screen time was devoted to just torturing her, and her character's resolution was to tell her child, who she had to forcibly bear, to forget her as Leilia would forget her too. And...That was a miraculous moment where both Leilia and Medmel were happy about? The moment went by so fast that it went from a tearful first meeting between a mother and child in years, to an immediate unceremonious departure where both characters were just fine with everything.

Leilia's character seemed to exist just to parallel Maquia's experience with motherhood, but it didn't feel necessary. In fact, the whole Krim and Leilia plot didn't seem to go anywhere. The kingdom understandably tried to tame wyvern-like beasts as proof of power, but I don't completely understand the point of marrying and having a child with a woman from a long-lived race of weavers. Was the halfblooded child supposed to have some sort of special power, or also be long-lived as well? If it was just a show of power, where Leilia was just supposed to be a trophy wife, then I could understand that much, but she was thrown aside by both the prince and the narrative.

Leilia didn't really have much of a presence, but she was somehow present enough to detract from Maquia's and Ariel's story. All the suffering just seemed uncalled for, unreasonable, and unresolved. As a matter of fact, why did Leilia have to be the one out of everyone else among her kind who was kidnapped and forced into political marriage? Actually, what was the original plan with the kidnapping? Take as many women as possible, yet kill any of them that tried to resist? I feel like kidnapping requires them to be alive, and genocide goes against the goal.

Regardless of my gripes, I still feel that there's a good story in here somewhere. The film took a lot of risks with its portrayal of motherhood, in combination with the Iorphs' long-lived characteristic that makes for a unique take on character relationships. I enjoyed the parts where Maquia and Ariel tried to come to terms with each other, as well as themselves. I enjoyed their journey through time, where Maquia had to be at peace with having a lifespan magnitudes longer than Ariel. I enjoyed Ariel trying to grow up and live independently, but still come back to Maquia as his anchor to life. I'm just...not really certain about everything else surrounding their story.
Oct 11, 2020 1:11 AM

Jun 2010
Holy crap, I cried like a baby. I hate tear-jerkers like this T---T
I am just a sobbing mess. I did not expect this movie to be this heart-wrenching?!
Looking at the trailer and poster I thought this was like a Romeo and Juliet kinda setting. I was SO wrong.
Dis tew much T--T I have no regrets. I am just sad. but 10/10 sad.
Oct 25, 2020 2:32 PM

May 2015
I feel sorry for Krim. He doesn't deserve this hell. :(
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 2, 2020 12:22 AM

Jan 2019
Well now I’m extremely sad and feeling lonely. Fuck imma die eventually
Dec 23, 2020 12:16 PM

Apr 2020
Beautiful ending. I had a really bad feeling that Maquia would come back after a large time skip, but I didn't think it would be when Ariel was on his death bed. I was hoping Lily was actually Ariel's daughter since we never got to know her name.

If you think about it, watching Maquia live her life while her son lives his while she doesn't age makes for a heart wrenching story itself. I only wish that the route that the movie went was where Maquia frequently visited the family and looked after Ariel's descendants.
Jan 1, 2021 12:09 PM
Mar 2019
Maquia is a piece of work that was truly astounding. I was captivated by the beautiful visuals, and the underlying message that resonated with me throughout the entire movie. Throughout the movie, we went through and watched Maquia and Ariel live out their lives. We saw Maquia as essentially a lone 15 year old, someone that never truly fit in her original home of Iorph, get suddenly placed into the harsh real world by herself, truly "alone". Yet, she found Ariel as a lone child in a plundered vagrant camp, and Maquia came to care for and nurture Ariel as his "mother", and in turn, Maquia cherished Ariel as her Hibiol. It was not all happy, as Maquia had to learn and hone her skills to become an independent and strong mother for Ariel, but she did, and they managed to live together, while not rich, they held a strong bond. However, Ariel was going through some adolescent feelings, and he felt conflicted about his own mother, who was not his biological mom. He hurt her in various ways while sorting out his feelings, but in the end, he was able to grow and create a family of his own, utilizing the lessons taught by his "mother", Maquia. Overall, it was a beautiful message, and at the end, when Maquia saw Ariel on his death bed, the: "Welcome Home", hit me so hard. Also, while Maquia was crying, we saw flashbacks of Ariel as a child, to when he was growing up, showing his development and love for his mother evolving and ultimately culminating into his final message to her: "Welcome Home". Ariel was Maquia's Hibiol, and yet, Maqiua was like Ariel's Hibiol as well. Ariel was able to shape Maquia into a mother, someone that could be independent and be loved. That ending was truly profound, and it caused me to feel emotional. Like the Elder said, loving someone will make you truly alone, but yet, Maquia had no regrets. She returns to Iorph, living out the rest of her days with the survivors, living as an ancient creature that reached enlightenment and fulfillment, by being shaped by the love and bonds she shared with a human boy she called her own "son". Maquia was a masterpiece, and all I can say is, Bravo to Mari Okada! Bravo!
Jan 1, 2021 12:10 PM
Mar 2019
Maquia is a piece of work that was truly astounding. I was captivated by the beautiful visuals, and the underlying message that resonated with me throughout the entire movie. Throughout the movie, we went through and watched Maquia and Ariel live out their lives. We saw Maquia as essentially a lone 15 year old, someone that never truly fit in her original home of Iorph, get suddenly placed into the harsh real world by herself, truly "alone". Yet, she found Ariel as a lone child in a plundered vagrant camp, and Maquia came to care for and nurture Ariel as his "mother", and in turn, Maquia cherished Ariel as her Hibiol. It was not all happy, as Maquia had to learn and hone her skills to become an independent and strong mother for Ariel, but she did, and they managed to live together, while not rich, they held a strong bond. However, Ariel was going through some adolescent feelings, and he felt conflicted about his own mother, who was not his biological mom. He hurt her in various ways while sorting out his feelings, but in the end, he was able to grow and create a family of his own, utilizing the lessons taught by his "mother", Maquia. Overall, it was a beautiful message, and at the end, when Maquia saw Ariel on his death bed, the: "Welcome Home", hit me so hard. Also, while Maquia was crying, we saw flashbacks of Ariel as a child, to when he was growing up, showing his development and love for his mother evolving and ultimately culminating into his final message to her: "Welcome Home". Ariel was Maquia's Hibiol, and yet, Maqiua was like Ariel's Hibiol as well. Ariel was able to shape Maquia into a mother, someone that could be independent and be loved. That ending was truly profound, and it caused me to feel emotional. Like the Elder said, loving someone will make you truly alone, but yet, Maquia had no regrets. She returns to Iorph, living out the rest of her days with the survivors, living as an ancient creature that reached enlightenment and fulfillment, by being shaped by the love and bonds she shared with a human boy she called her own "son". Maquia was a masterpiece, and all I can say is, Bravo to Mari Okada! Bravo!
Jan 3, 2021 8:50 AM
Sep 2017
Even i watch this in 2021,this anime is very awesome. It's fit when you want to celebrate mother's day with this anime. It has make mae cry :')
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» Ariel x maquia anyone? ( 1 2 )

Shiyuru99 - Nov 1, 2018

57 by removed-user »»
May 30, 11:14 PM

» Only reason it isn't perfect.

Kamikoto_kl - Apr 18, 2022

5 by shuffle_017 »»
Jan 20, 8:00 AM

» Question about krim

Bruhdotmp3 - Apr 9, 2022

3 by shuffle_017 »»
Jan 20, 7:56 AM

» "Let's Decorate the Morning of Farewells with the Promised Flowers"

MinhQuan_Luu - Nov 4, 2018

3 by Obakezoku »»
Aug 13, 2023 8:04 AM

» Questions about Half-Iorph

Kyyo - Nov 7, 2021

5 by ikasamatensai »»
Jun 29, 2023 7:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.