Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Jul 3, 2014 12:00 PM

Jul 2013
my ovaries exploded
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)dont hate me cause you aint me( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 3, 2014 12:37 PM

Jul 2011
Im so happy to see free back and my bby rin <3 the op and ed were cool (especially cop rin that made me go all "wtf" and "u r so dumb" but i love him very much)
it was a really good episode to see everyone back
Jul 3, 2014 12:38 PM

Jul 2012
YumeHunter said:
galimx said:
Fujoshi pandering anime. No thanks :). And dont get me wrong, it's not because there are only guys in this anime. It's the same as otaku pandering shows with tits and panties, but this time it targets the female audience.

I rather watch a good story, with good writing and direction, and complex and deep characters, not this shit.

Then why the fuck are you even watching this? This is the SECOND season. You sound like you haven't even watched the first season in the first place.
Preach,
Jul 3, 2014 12:46 PM

Jul 2013
YumeHunter said:
galimx said:
Fujoshi pandering anime. No thanks :). And dont get me wrong, it's not because there are only guys in this anime. It's the same as otaku pandering shows with tits and panties, but this time it targets the female audience.

I rather watch a good story, with good writing and direction, and complex and deep characters, not this shit.

Then why the fuck are you even watching this? This is the SECOND season. You sound like you haven't even watched the first season in the first place.

Seriously. Who watches Free for the deep plot? Just don't watch it, simple. No need to make a huge deal out of it.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Jul 3, 2014 1:25 PM

Sep 2009
I'm actually pretty pleased with this first episode. So far it seems more interesting than the first season. I'm looking forward to finding out more about Yamamoto. ovo Maybe he was a friend from Australia (if that's where Rin went, I can't remember orz)?
Jul 3, 2014 1:49 PM

Feb 2014
I also found the first episode quite entertaining, though for the most part because i was excited to see everyone again rather than because the captivating storyline so far.

Up until now i feel like i can't really tell where this season will go. There were some hilarious moments as well as more serious ones, e.g. the characters talking about their future.

Judging from my first impression of the new main cast member, i guess there are a lot more serious dialogues to come. as some already said, he seems a little grumpy :P
L had a poster of Norman in his room
Jul 3, 2014 1:59 PM

Apr 2009
Wow, this was as decent as expected. Nice to have it back. A lot of people think this is just a pandering SoL with changed genders, but it still has suprisingly decent writing in it.

In any case, the best Summer 2014 anime so far (which isn't hard until now).
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 3, 2014 2:01 PM

Mar 2012
That was pretty rad so far, better than last season. Good to see Rin being a bro now though that serious bit was kinda random.
Jul 3, 2014 2:29 PM

Jun 2010
How I missed KyoAni's perfect animation. The way they promoted their club was hilarious lol.
Jul 3, 2014 3:14 PM

Jul 2012
galimx said:
And yeah, you can look criticaly at animes, not just watch them for enjoyment...

Or do both. No need to only look at things in an objective or analytic way. Having guilty pleasures is what makes entertainment fun.
Jul 3, 2014 4:09 PM

Jan 2012
Oh man, Love summer!
Jul 3, 2014 4:53 PM
Jul 2018
SURE. IS. SUMMER. IN. HERE.
Jul 3, 2014 5:14 PM

Sep 2012
muramusaw8 said:
maverick0999 said:

The problem with Free for me it's not the manservice but how the characters are written most of them so far have two characteristics they all love swimming and love there friends, the other problem i have is that most of are main characters act more like high school girls than boys this is funny sometimes but makes the characters a lot more emotional and that leeds to pointless melo drama like the whole bonding between Haru and Rin in the first season was way too over dramatic and that made it drag on even though everyone knew how that conflict between Rin and Haru gonna end they focused so much on those two characters and made the other characters more like support or comic relief. I think that what makes this show ''Gay'' for some people not the fanservice still as i said before i don't hate the show it's a fun slice of life sports show with beautiful animation is it as good as the fans of Free say it is no it's not, is it as bad as people who hate Free say no it's not, so stop this pointless argument and agree to disagree.

I haven't watched ep 1 of eternal summer yet, but anyways...

The characters seem to have enough unique traits to me, at least for a sports anime.

Let's be honest here: the popularity of free heavily depended, depends, and will depend on the fanservice of the series.

The plot and characterization isn't the best, but you know what? It's an enjoyable series to watch nonetheless, even for straight males.

You have a very valid point about how the boys of Iwatobi act a little more like schoolgirls. However, isn't that merely your perspective?
Take this with a grain of salt, but I once read that the Japanese value a best friend even higher than a romantic partner.
Well, even if that is not true, it is certain that different cultures have different norms for behavior, although this is anime; embellishments are rampant.
Furthermore, it's not like females in anime always act or characterized as expected.

Overly dramatic and emotional? This is KyoAni. if it isn't an iyashikei series, then there will be drama. Actually, this could probably, loosely, apply to any studio/publisher/whatever.

Ah, well, in the end I more or less agree with you: the Free! series is ultimately a divisive anime~!

On a side note, I can't help but laugh on how one particular anime (something apparently obvious) seems to always worm its way into any anime discussion, no matter the genre or topic.

I hope Eternal Summer will be amusing - I plan to watch it later today~

Well i agree with mostly everything you said, you can say that yes the main characters of Free are written to have more female type characteristics similar to how female characters in some anime are written to have more of male characteristics i don't see that as a problem it could be fun and interesting to watch, but the problem i have when i said too much drama as how the show is setup to be mostly a comedy even sometimes a parody to it's own genre and when the show tries to be more serious it pacing and it's story progression becomes a lot slower which makes it for me a very boring show. I also hope season 2 of Free will be better than the first season, so far from the first episode i like it a lot better than the first season but we will see how it goes.
Jul 3, 2014 5:20 PM
Oct 2009
KyoAni are the Gods of fan service. In the best possible way. I actually had to pause it once or twice to regain my calm. I'm serious xD
The part where Haru is slowly unzipping his pants!?
The part where they wildly take off their shirts on scene!?
And when the ending starts and Rin is in cop cosplay!?
Can't get enough!!
Jul 3, 2014 5:48 PM

Aug 2013
Suzie said:
KyoAni are the Gods of fan service. In the best possible way. I actually had to pause it once or twice to regain my calm. I'm serious xD
The part where Haru is slowly unzipping his pants!?
The part where they wildly take off their shirts on scene!?
And when the ending starts and Rin is in cop cosplay!?
Can't get enough!!

this anime is good just for its fan service

i laughed my way through. so much muscle. too much
Jul 3, 2014 7:20 PM
Jun 2013
Great to see the gang back together! Missed this show so much
I like the OP and ED but prefer the previous season's one better.
I wonder who that mysterious guy is... getting pretty exciting!
Jul 3, 2014 7:52 PM
Jul 2018
DAT ED. DAT ED. DAT ED. HOLY. Loving it. <3
damn it. RIN. He's so perfect in the ending.
Jul 3, 2014 8:02 PM

Jan 2011
this was better than i expected but it needs more Gou
Jul 3, 2014 8:21 PM

Aug 2013
FREE! OMG, <3
Haru is just, (≧∇≦)
Makoto is just (⌒-⌒; )
Nagisa and Rei is just...(=´∀`)人(´∀`=)
Rin is just..(=゚ω゚)ノ

Can't waitt for next ep ^^
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

"There is something in this world that no one has ever seen before. It is gentle and sweet. Maybe if it could be seen, everyone would fight over it. That is why the world hid it, so that no one could get their hands on it so easily. However, someday, someone will find it. The person who deserves it the most will definitely find it. "
— Aisaka Taiga and Takasu Ryuuji
Jul 3, 2014 8:36 PM

Jun 2014
Damn, that was a good episode o_O
Jul 3, 2014 9:34 PM

May 2013
I love the OP & ED.
The OP..they look so hawt *^* and the ED...I love it x3 it's like about their dreams? Haru as mermaid! lolol.

Can't wait to see what happen next between Haru and that new transfer student! I forgot about his name lel.
made by bunnyama
Jul 4, 2014 3:58 AM

Mar 2012
That was a good first episode.
Mikoshiba graduating. My heart is aching ughhh
Anyway, as expected there's the fanservice galore. The freshmen were totally shocked with the swim club omg
And that ED. I died. Due to blood loss.

Fun fact: Did you know that they're in Australia in that ED? XD
Jul 4, 2014 4:18 AM

May 2014
kunagisa said:

Too much you say?

As a gal who likes her action, why haven't you seen JoJo yet? The MANLY MEN there really do make these boys look like girls who just play with each other like they are cute little girls.

This isn't a hate post or an attack on the show, just my answer to the manservice.
Jul 4, 2014 7:28 AM

Jun 2013
galimx said:
ashlelouch said:

Seriously. Who watches Free for the deep plot? Just don't watch it, simple. No need to make a huge deal out of it.

Well people sure do, going all around and yelling this is ANIME OF THE YEAR, lol.
I didn't say it wasn't fun, but the fact is that this is shallow entertainment. And yeah, you can look criticaly at animes, not just watch them for enjoyment...

And some do feel that way, sir. Believe it or not, there are some people, somewhere out there that have been waiting for this show for a year, and that episode that just aired on Wednesday was the best thing that's ever happened in anime history. Seriously.

You sound like you don't think any of us understand what a "good anime" is. You don't like it? Cool. But none of us need you to enlighten us whatsoever. Why does something have to be deep to classify as worthy entertainment? Why can't somebody just look at an anime, and rate it based on enjoyment? What's so wrong with that? Why do we have always have to think analytically every single time we watch an anime?
Too lazy to make a signature. F*** it.
Jul 4, 2014 7:53 AM

May 2014
Kitty_Calando said:
Why can't somebody just look at an anime, and rate it based on enjoyment? What's so wrong with that?
Why should everybody rate an anime based off solely a positive feeling?
It's wrong because that's not rating, that's answering did you like it or not: yes or no. Rating DOES mean analyzing and criticizing something, you put it through whatever standards for storytelling, characters, sound and animation. You evaluate it and put that evaluation in the form of an arbitrary number which is supposed to represent how you would describe this work. It's simply a number in order to make the rankings easier and have a simple number show the public's general reception.

If you're simply basing off enjoyment, you have no standard. Was it enjoyable? Yes.
And if not? I dropped and/or deleted it off my list, end of story.

Just from this ep.:
Animation 1/1 - damn good
Music and Sound 1/2 - can't really tell if the music's there, blends well, nice OP, seiyuu cast doing a fantastic job considering the roles.
Story 1/3 - cute boys doing cute swimming, kinda like sport, KyoAni comedy and slice of life, essentially plotless, everything's centered around the characters, at least the swimming aspect makes for a more dynamic pace
Characters 2/4 - moe boys, they look, sound and act like it too, OK, but there's nothing much to them. Light drama, supposed rivalries, but if they were MEN, they'd be itching to punch each other.

so 1+1+1+2=5 Average <- Which is what I would use to describe this show without factoring in enjoyment.
Jul 4, 2014 7:58 AM

Nov 2012
oh my god why does everyone care so much
just go watch what you want to watch and don't shitpost here
Jul 4, 2014 8:42 AM

Mar 2014
Went back and read through all the posts here.
Apparently this season is going to have a lot of Nagisa backstory.
Hopefully that means we'll get a prison break flashback at last from big papa-NG.
At this point I practically consider 50% off as canon.
Jul 4, 2014 10:31 AM

Aug 2009
RedReaper said:
Hopefully that means we'll get a prison break flashback at last from big papa-NG.

ThugSeme is priceless.
50% off is legend.
I love it.

Jul 4, 2014 11:08 AM

Oct 2011
So happy T_____T

Dat Op song and OMG!!! @ ending. Fireman, Scientist, Merman/chef, police officer and astronaut XDDDD
Jul 4, 2014 12:07 PM

Jul 2012
T3hSource said:
kunagisa said:

Too much you say?

As a gal who likes her action, why haven't you seen JoJo yet? The MANLY MEN there really do make these boys look like girls who just play with each other like they are cute little girls.

This isn't a hate post or an attack on the show, just my answer to the manservice.

Jojo's isn't manservice though. It's more of a gag action anime. It's more on the GAR or Brofest side rather than sparkling bishounen which most girls would prefer. Anime preferences are like real life. Would a straight girl or gay guy want a guy with a hulky bodybuilder boy over a guy with a moderate sized body? Vice verse: Would someone want a girl with oversized watermelons or normal sized ones?
Jul 4, 2014 3:50 PM

Nov 2011
Great first ep!! (≧∇≦)
Can't wait for next week!
Love the OP & ED!
Jul 4, 2014 3:50 PM

Jun 2012
This show always has the best opening and endings.
Jul 4, 2014 7:36 PM

Jan 2013
Pretty good start as I expected! This anime never fails to make me want to swim.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2014 10:19 PM

Jun 2013
Absolutely awesome!
The Free! guys are back! With a new transfer student character :)

Gou-chan is awesome as usual.

Too bad they didn't get to swim in that cherry blossom pool :(

THAT ED AH KAMISAMA *SAVES IN HD*
I AM SOOO KEEPING THIS
Jul 4, 2014 10:55 PM

Apr 2013
WET BROMANCE RETURNS
Powerful eyebrows.
Jul 5, 2014 1:45 AM

Apr 2013
KYAAAAA~

MAKOTO-SAMA!!! #GayOnlyForMakoto

OP is awesome! ED was a little disappointing. I hoped for a dance-able song like in season 1.

The Makoto fireman idea was a good move though. Is this his future will be (Rin did ask him)? A hot guy being a fireman. He'll just cause more fires... :3

Amazing visuals as always. Kudos KyoAni , keep it up.

The story is alright for now. I did expect changes in members though (but the OP and ED videos show no new members for Iwatobi).

Let's see how Kousuke plays out...

More shirtless Makoto please...

4.1/5

Jul 5, 2014 8:44 AM

Oct 2012
RedReaper said:

that's hella boring.
well nagisa is boring in general..
Jul 5, 2014 8:50 AM

Oct 2012
galimx said:

this kind of shitty post is really getting old. all your words have been said in a previous thread, which is like a year ago.
Jul 5, 2014 8:57 AM

Jul 2012

THAT'S SO .... SEXY ......
There will be Haru action this season ( I hope )
Loved the episode ;u; Can't wait for more Free!
xFaithyJul 5, 2014 9:04 AM
Jul 5, 2014 11:45 AM

Jun 2013
T3hSource said:
Kitty_Calando said:
Why can't somebody just look at an anime, and rate it based on enjoyment? What's so wrong with that?
Why should everybody rate an anime based off solely a positive feeling?
It's wrong because that's not rating, that's answering did you like it or not: yes or no. Rating DOES mean analyzing and criticizing something, you put it through whatever standards for storytelling, characters, sound and animation. You evaluate it and put that evaluation in the form of an arbitrary number which is supposed to represent how you would describe this work. It's simply a number in order to make the rankings easier and have a simple number show the public's general reception.

If you're simply basing off enjoyment, you have no standard. Was it enjoyable? Yes.
And if not? I dropped and/or deleted it off my list, end of story.

Just from this ep.:
Animation 1/1 - damn good
Music and Sound 1/2 - can't really tell if the music's there, blends well, nice OP, seiyuu cast doing a fantastic job considering the roles.
Story 1/3 - cute boys doing cute swimming, kinda like sport, KyoAni comedy and slice of life, essentially plotless, everything's centered around the characters, at least the swimming aspect makes for a more dynamic pace
Characters 2/4 - moe boys, they look, sound and act like it too, OK, but there's nothing much to them. Light drama, supposed rivalries, but if they were MEN, they'd be itching to punch each other.

so 1+1+1+2=5 Average <- Which is what I would use to describe this show without factoring in enjoyment.

And yet you did factor enjoyment into your review. In fact, you factored enjoyment into every part of your review.

I have a few questions to ask after reading your review: What if I didn't like the swimming sections? What if I hated the OP? Why is Animation only out of 1 in your review while the other sections are out of 2, 3, and 4? What if I wanted to rate story out of 4 and characters out of 3? Finally, are you saying that everybody who doesn't factor enjoyment into their review should reach this same conclusion?

What you are forgetting is that enjoyment, although considered a "feeling", can be an emotional response to numerous factors. It is a much broader category than you make it out to be, and it encompasses every category that you just stated. Also, you make it seem as if enjoyment is merely black and white, you either like it or you don't, and that there is no grey area whatsoever. Of course if you put it in such a way it will make it sound like you have no standard if you merely rate a show based on "enjoyment". But there are varying degrees of enjoyment, and that is because no two people enjoy things the same. It is not that we have no standards, it is that we have different values, and without needing to go into details all of these values are automatically summed up into the simple category of "enjoyment".

The public's general reception is to be found by averaging the ratings of the general public, not by looking at the rating of one sole individual who analytically went through everything and claims to be unbiased. Likewise, it doesn't mean that anyone who rated the show less or more than this average is wrong, it simply means that they are individuals who know what "good" is for themselves. There may be a million people who hate something, but there will always be that one person who absolutely loves it and vice versa. To sum it up, the only person who is able to correctly answer whether a show is "good" or "enjoyable" is the individual who asked the question in the first place and no analytic response is required to determine that.
Jul 5, 2014 11:54 AM

Apr 2014
Kitty_Calando said:
And yet you did factor enjoyment into your review. In fact, you factored enjoyment into every part of your review.

I have a few questions to ask after reading your review: What if I didn't like the swimming sections? What if I hated the OP? Why is Animation only out of 1 in your review while the other sections are out of 2, 3, and 4? What if I wanted to rate story out of 4 and characters out of 3? Finally, are you saying that everybody who doesn't factor enjoyment into their review should reach this same conclusion?

What you are forgetting is that enjoyment, although considered a "feeling", can be an emotional response to numerous factors. It is a much broader category than you make it out to be, and it encompasses every category that you just stated. Also, you make it seem as if enjoyment is merely black and white, you either like it or you don't, and that there is no grey area whatsoever. Of course if you put it in such a way it will make it sound like you have no standard if you merely rate a show based on "enjoyment". But there are varying degrees of enjoyment, and that is because no two people enjoy things the same. It is not that we have no standards, it is that we have different values, and without needing to go into details all of these values are automatically summed up into the simple category of "enjoyment".

The public's general reception is to be found by averaging the ratings of the general public, not by looking at the rating of one sole individual who analytically went through everything and claims to be unbiased. Likewise, it doesn't mean that anyone who rated the show less or more than this average is wrong, it simply means that they are individuals who know what "good" is for themselves. There may be a million people who hate something, but there will always be that one person who absolutely loves it and vice versa. To sum it up, the only person who is able to correctly answer whether a show is "good" or "enjoyable" is the individual who asked the question in the first place and no analytic response is required to determine that.

^^^^ +1

I think this is a wonderful way to think of reviews and ratings.

Now excuse me as I change a few scores to reflect my true opinions and values vs. the "objective" view.
Jul 5, 2014 12:10 PM

Sep 2012
Liked the opening, it wasn't awesome like first but, it's okay.
Was disappointed when they skipped Haru vs. Rin race in relay but they really did make up for it later :)
I love those ''while talking" perspectives XD Former captain's butt XD
Hahaha Gou outdid herself with introduction of swimming team X3
Loved the *high five* between Rin and Haru *__*
The scene with the pool being covered with petals and the team letting Rin to test it out first was so cute :3 Stupid rain.
Sousuke guy and Rin? This gonna be good :D
Ending was pretty funny tho and I can totally see them on those jobs! :D
Jul 5, 2014 1:02 PM

Jun 2013
Theodoricos said:
Also this, as far as I'm aware, is My Anime List, isn't that so? Everybody should have the freedom to rate the way they want to rate. Indeed, many post the criteria that they review their watched anime by on their profile page.

If you do get a certain amount of enjoyment out of an anime, then it must also be doing SOMETHING right. So I doubt anybody is voting "purely" on enjoyment, because that enjoyment has to come from somewhere.

Yes, that is true. But if you look at it from a different perspective, does that not also mean that one's enjoyment should reflect just what it is that the show is doing correctly?

I am not sure if this was meant to be as a sort of response to me, but personally when I am rating an anime I never follow any sort of rating criteria. I always found that when I followed criteria, my rating never seemed to truly reflect how I felt about the show. Because of this, I decided to rate shows based merely on my own enjoyment and I found that I am much happier with the results. Of course, as I watch new shows, ratings from older shows change from time to time, but I still feel like the ratings reflect an opinion of my own.

I'm sorry for rambling, but the main reason I spoke up about this was because I feel that people too often ignore their own opinions, or feel the need to discredit the opinions of others just because they don't seem to logically fit into certain criteria or are based on "feelings". Like this show, I will admit these characters aren't anything special, yet a part of me truly cares about what happens to them and absolutely loves them. Without considering how I feel about the characters, I'd probably only give them a 1 or 2 out of 4, but I know that in my case that isn't true.

I'm probably not very good at explaining this, but I find that simply adding totals from a pre-existing formula does not do justice. I feel as if the rating that you give a show should be one that you have created on your own, not one that is calculated.

*EDIT* Just to say, I am not against people using a rating system. If they are happy with the results, that is absolutely fine with me.
TheBigBadBakaJul 5, 2014 1:15 PM
Jul 5, 2014 1:34 PM

Jun 2013
Theodoricos said:
This is exactly what I was trying to say, actually. Nicely put. Sorry for not clarifying earlier, but I was criticizing T3hSource's opinion that enjoyment shouldn't be factored in when you give the final grade of a given anime. Yes, MAL has a rating system, but this isn't a professional review site, so everybody should choose how exactly they want to vote for the anime they've seen.

Here's the thing. In my opinion, if you DO care for the characters of this show, even if you believe that it isn't because they're special, then they're still at least good enough and deserving of a higher grade for one reason or another. So yes - exactly - you should not ignore your opinion and lower the score simply because feelings may come into the equation. You'd be succumbing to other people's opinions instead, which you might see as "objectivity". If you do care about the characters, then that's a valid point in the show's favor that you shouldn't ignore. Even if it's in a large part thanks to personal preference that you do, the show still has to meet you at least halfway in the way it presents or characterizes its cast. If you give it more thought, then something will surely come up that you can give as an answer as to why that is so.

For me? The friendship between Haru, Makoto, Nagisa, Rei and Rin is likeable because it feels natural. There's something that the show does right that manages to make me invested in their characters and any conflicts that may arise that I want to see resolved. It's a combination of well-placed flashbacks of their past, to continuous display of their chemistry together and the fact that they genuinely care about each other. Rei's introduction in the anime helped a great deal with that, I think - because it contrasted his interactions with the other four, and him, as a newcomer, somewhat played the role of a surrogate for the viewer in understanding the depth of the others' already established friendship, and learning more about it. That's a good way to do that instead of simply unloading an infodump at the beginning of the first few episodes, which Free! never did. It progressively showed more sides of the guys' past and what had happened between Haruka and Rin.

Either way, I'm going off on a tangent myself, but point is even if the characters of Free! aren't necessarily special, I believe that is a reason why they've resonated with other fans of the anime. Fanservice and animation can certainly help, but they fall flat without proper substance to accompany them.

Haha, my bad. xD

I have to say I agreed with everything you said. Your explanation of the friendship between Haru, Rin, Makoto, Nagisa, and Rei was spot on, and if I were to explain it in my own words, it'd be extremely similar. You touch on a lot of the strengths that Free! had, and I couldn't appreciate it more. So many disregard this as merely a fanservice anime with little else going for it, and don't take the time to delve deeper into what people truly love about it.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :)
Jul 5, 2014 4:02 PM

May 2014
@Kitty_Calando & @Theodoricos

Then how do you rate something that you know it's bad, yet you find it amusing enough to laugh and enjoy it?

Also there is a difference between between enjoyment and satisfaction. And yes, you can use enjoyment to rate, not only it, you can, but I see little point. That usually ends up with having a lot of mediocre shows along with decent ones look like they're in the same category for you. Like I mentioned, one should have some standards and comparisons to other shows as to what you consider to be better done than the other.

And of course the middle ground opinion that this is "everyone's personal preferences and should do whatever they like", which is just as valid as well. And since this isn't a professional reviewing site, then the reviews here are worthless then.

Not to mention you both got into the spirit of analyzing and articulating your opinions bringing up valid points. No one can ever be objective(which is just mass subjectivity anyway), but that doesn't mean your opinion isn't' valid, if you articulate it well and have points to support it, then it's well done. Even if it's also an attachment with the characters you've developed from watching them all this time and have gotten used to their inconsistencies and imperfections so they don't bother you as much anymore.

But if you look at it from a different perspective, does that not also mean that one's enjoyment should reflect just what it is that the show is doing correctly?
Not necessarily, School Days does it's job on making you hate the main character for being a dickhead. It does it's job right, it presents him a detestable person doing bad things enraging you. It does that right in order to get across its message and point, but since this is anger and not enjoyment then it must be doing it wrong? Apparently so.

It's hard to enjoy something like Shinsekai Yori with its dull, dry presentation. No energy, flat characters, interesting mysterious world with lots of secrets and societal rules. It's not very enjoyable watching characters sit, talk and do nothing, but it is very satisfying to see them coming to realizations of their society. It may be fun for me as a mental exercise, but I'm not watching to be entertained. It's a very fine line between those two feelings.

Kill la Kill was a thrilling rollercoaster, it was fun and entertaining, oozing with style and energy from start to finish, yet, it didn't satisfy me, I wanted something a bit more, I got attached to the characters, but didn't get my do, I wanted the story to be something more, leaving me unsatisfied.

Essentially rate on your satisfaction with the material, not solely on enjoyment you got from it. You can factor it in, but don't let it be the only criteria.

I personally find action(and violence) more satisfactory than fluffy heartwarming slice of life, where I don't see much actually happening. That is one of my standards. Anyone can make the opposite argument and say that action detracts from the character focus and in fact diminishes it, yet laid down slice of life "fluff" gives all its space and devotes it to characters, giving them more opportunity to be fleshed out, explored and developed.
Jul 6, 2014 3:56 AM

Oct 2012
More of the same. Those water races ware gorgeous as always and I like that coming of age feel (thinking they gonna end the school in this season) but with one mysterious transfer student, father-son relationship and the way second Chuunibyou was this year one can already see where this is coming.
Recycle, recycle. KyoAni's motto of late, animation is great but there are no new ideas around. That's what happens when you let animator direct the story.
I think I'll pass this time.
Mich666Jul 6, 2014 11:16 AM
Jul 6, 2014 8:35 AM

Jan 2012
I have a bad feeling about this second season.
I really liked the first one but when I saw the first episode of Eternal Summer it was like "Why they seem so stupid..." (and I mean Iwatobi guys. Rin its ok, he looks more mature.)
I hope the show goes better.
Jul 6, 2014 10:55 AM

Dec 2012
The estrogen is strong within this particular forum.
Jul 6, 2014 11:56 AM

May 2009
This episode was great. Haru's incessant tardiness brought a smile on my face.

But, the true star of the show is again Gou, with her intense fascination for the guys' muscles, to the point where she wants her own brother to strip and show off his stuff. She really is the female version of every perverted male harem lead.

And then there's the way the club introduced itself to the people in the auditorium. Loved how the girls were practically drooling at first at the sight of the guys throwing off their clothes, but became bored when it was all they did.

Also, if the club is missing a member, why doesn't Gou just become one? It's almost as if the club itself is a 'guy thing', and that she's just there for shits and giggles. Yeah, she promotes them, but she's technically still part of the team, isn't she, even if she doesn't swim herself?

Oh well, I guess it doesn't really matter. The matter will probably be resolved with the new guy, and Rin probably has a big role in that now as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2014 1:24 PM

Apr 2010
baskervillain said:
mayukachan said:

He was kind of annoying in the last season but I'm really liking him in this season so far!

That's basically what I was about to say, haha. It's probably because he's not saying "senpaiii" in every other sentence. It seemed like his existence revolved around Rin, and that didn't leave much room for Nitori to have a distinct personality of his own. Hopefully he stays this way for the remainder of the season.

Nitori didn't get enough shown enough for true development in the first season, so he did have some annoying qualities, but they seem to be including him more, which gives me lots of hope for the development of his character.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2014

189 by hidenashi »»
Feb 9, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2014

125 by hidenashi »»
Feb 8, 7:16 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2014

107 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2014

113 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2014

147 by CCC47 »»
Jan 20, 9:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.