Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jul 12, 2011 3:47 AM

Sep 2008
ItsSoPringles said:
no i mean hes legitmently dead,

Really? Hm, I can't say that's the impression I got from the episode. Was I supposed to understand that watching it?
Jul 18, 2011 1:16 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Well that was harsh. I guess the producers dont like Tomoya.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 21, 2011 5:18 AM

Jun 2011
Life is unfair to Tomoya. First his wife and now his daughter.
Sep 25, 2011 1:40 PM

Jan 2008
What?! Even more death?! Why...wait...no! Live!! ò_ó

Oct 20, 2011 10:27 AM

Oct 2011
If I'm Tomoya? After my daughter dies in my arms in the street in the snow after saying she loves me? I'm eatin' a bullet. Period, end of story. GAH.
<a href="">;;RykOakwine.png</a>
Dec 20, 2011 12:15 AM

Nov 2008
Wtf i swear Tomoya is the most ill-fated man ever, having his wife and now his daughter die on him. What's the producer of this anime even thinking......Is it really necessary for them to make it in the way that is so depressing?..

sigh.
Feb 1, 2012 9:00 PM

May 2011
Its official, Tomoya is just not allowed to live happily.

I can't even tear/cry over Ushio's death, I've accepted the fact that everyone Tomoya loves must die until he gets mentally ill and commits suicide. Why? I don't know.

Lets get this "final" episode over with.
Mar 1, 2012 5:49 PM

Jan 2012
Why did he take her out there and basically walk her to death!?

This was almost as sad as Nagisa's death to me, but it still feels really offput.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 4, 2012 7:05 AM

Feb 2012
-Solo said:
Why did he take her out there and basically walk her to death!?

This was almost as sad as Nagisa's death to me, but it still feels really offput.
It symbolized Ushio's will.

She was sick for months with no signs of improving. I think she knew she wasn't going to live so she insisted to go on a trip before she goes since it was her happiest moment in her short life. Tomoya knew this so he wanted to grant her that wish.

Think about patients in hospitals that can never get out of their comas and are stuck on life support. Do you think that person would have wanted to stay on life support? Or do you think they would have wanted to move on? I think it's cruel to let someone live like that. Grant a dying person their last wish. It's what I would want.
Mar 9, 2012 12:14 AM

Mar 2012
I think i can understand why Tomoya grant her 'suicide' wish.. Tomoya too, maybe know that Ushio won't live long so that's why although He also in bad condition, he grant that wish of Ushio. Its as sad as Nagisa's death. If i were Tomoya, maybe i will kill myself afterwards, seriously.

Tomoya said that when Nagisa is still alive, He will protect her forever restlessly. And now she's gone. Feel depressed. After he realize that Ushio is after all his and Nagisa's half because Ushio is their daughter, Tomoya decide to protect her, who he can only protect. And? Ushio's gone too. The one who he is always want to protect always gone leaving him, so cruel.

Its sad episode as well, but again, ED song - TORCH ruining the mood here like in episode 16. I like that song very much but it just misplaced to still place that cheerful song after sad scene like Ushio's death. But, after all, if its CLANNAD, its still the best. I miss CLANNAD so much :'|
Apr 3, 2012 5:59 AM

Apr 2009
Sweet, the amazing other world scenes are back. At first I was pretty convinced the robotic fellow is Tomoya, but I'm starting to believe it's Ushio. I think that world is an actual parallel dimension and the link that kept Ushio and Nagisa alive although they should have been dead.

But overall, this episode had the worst execution of drama so far in After Story. And Tomoya must have been 100% sure Ushio's sickness is of unnatural causes and incurable. Because I refuse to believe he'd let Ushio strain herself like that otherwise just because he's too softhearted to say no. I mean come on, Tomoya himself went through a bad childhood where he had to deal with way more unreasonable stuff, and he learned to be grateful for it in the end. Did he understand or learn nothing? This the complete opposite. I understand how he feels and he must be extremely unstable after everything came crashing down yet again, but there should be a limit for how much you can use that excuse in writing.

4/5, it pains me to give this anime a score below 5/5
Apr 8, 2012 3:57 AM
Nov 2011
nearing the end of my rewatch. The first time I marathoned it from beginning to end, and was a ball of nerves. This time I've taken it over a couple of months bit by bit, but his episode is still very raw, very emotional.

Which is why I love this story so much :/
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Apr 8, 2012 5:27 PM
Apr 2012
VictimOfFate said:
Sweet, the amazing other world scenes are back. At first I was pretty convinced the robotic fellow is Tomoya, but I'm starting to believe it's Ushio. I think that world is an actual parallel dimension and the link that kept Ushio and Nagisa alive although they should have been dead.

But overall, this episode had the worst execution of drama so far in After Story. And Tomoya must have been 100% sure Ushio's sickness is of unnatural causes and incurable. Because I refuse to believe he'd let Ushio strain herself like that otherwise just because he's too softhearted to say no. I mean come on, Tomoya himself went through a bad childhood where he had to deal with way more unreasonable stuff, and he learned to be grateful for it in the end. Did he understand or learn nothing? This the complete opposite. I understand how he feels and he must be extremely unstable after everything came crashing down yet again, but there should be a limit for how much you can use that excuse in writing.

4/5, it pains me to give this anime a score below 5/5

He knew Ushio was going to die. He couldn't bear not fulfilling a wish. Nagisa had died, and they never got to stay together. Tomoya knew what was going to happen, so he took Ushio. Though he hoped for her to survive, he didn't know she would die on the way to the train.
Apr 24, 2012 6:23 PM

Oct 2009
First his wife, now his daughter?? Seriously?? Poor Tomoya!! T_T
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Jul 15, 2012 11:02 PM

Nov 2011
Looking back, I believed I shed quite a few tears when watching this episode.
Jul 16, 2012 3:54 AM
Jul 2012
Veretax said:
nearing the end of my rewatch. The first time I marathoned it from beginning to end, and was a ball of nerves. This time I've taken it over a couple of months bit by bit, but his episode is still very raw, very emotional.

Which is why I love this story so much :/

yeah, first time i watched the show, i marathoned it, season 1 one day then season 2 the next...couldnt stop watching even tho they had all those sad moments

VictimOfFate said:

i figured out who the girl was in the dream world early on, but kinda dismissed it at first, until episode 18, that clinched it for me, my personal take on the world itself tho, could be wrong, was that it was nagisa's body or i guess the illness itself kinda, since whenever winter came, nagisa was bedridden, basically unable to move, and in previous episodes, the girl made multiple comments that when the snow comes, she is unable to move, idk, just my take on it
Aug 2, 2012 10:13 PM

Jan 2010
JESUS CHRIST
WTF IS KEY DOING I WOULDNT BE SURPRISED IF TOMOYA COMMMITS SUICED OR LOSES HIS MIND. He lost his fucking wife and daughter to the same illness leaving him with nothing to hold on to...
Aug 5, 2012 3:22 PM

Feb 2011
I hate what's happening to Tomoya , he definitely deserved a better life .
Sep 7, 2012 8:11 PM

Aug 2012
Genre : Depressing
Sep 26, 2012 11:19 PM

Jul 2012
"Daddy, I love you.."

O GOD THE TEARS JUST WONT STOP TT^TT

2nd time watching this show and still cant take it :P

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Sep 27, 2012 9:38 AM

Sep 2011
MaxVdub said:
nagisa sucked, series would've been better without her imho

:(

Nov 9, 2012 1:44 AM

Jan 2011
Why does the world hate him
Nov 9, 2012 1:52 AM

Nov 2012
Why does everyone cry when they watch this?
Dec 12, 2012 7:58 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
USHIOOOOOO!!! WHY TAKE EVERYTHING FROM TOMOYA, WHY TAKE ALL HIS LOVED ONES AWAY??? :((((( I CRIED AGAIN!!!
張大です for 張大勇督察
Dec 29, 2012 9:24 AM

Nov 2011
Seriously, fuck this show for making me this sad. Slice of Life? More like Slice of Death...
Jan 15, 2013 4:42 PM

Mar 2011
Tsunami said:
I really loved this episode. And I don't think you noticed but at the end Tomoya collapsed and possibly died as well .. basing what I'm saying on the way he acted the whole episode. He was not healthy, not healthy at all.
I love Clannad, it's great that they manage to move me so much.

I'we been reading all the posts over here just to find somebody with the same opinion..
Ushio dies, Tomoya collapses and dies as well in the cold "white darkness". The story ends, this world ends,
Feb 24, 2013 11:10 AM

Jan 2012
One death after another. The second half of the show sure is sad.

Feb 24, 2013 12:00 PM
Jul 2012
neontaster said:
Seriously, fuck this show for making me this sad. Slice of Life? More like Slice of Death...

i lold
Mar 1, 2013 8:39 PM
Jan 2013
CRITICAL CRYING!!! Now Ushio...(((

My eyes popped.
Mar 21, 2013 2:31 AM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
You can't beat the death scene in this anime. It is impossible. I've seen over 400 anime and this death scene was the most heartbreaking one.
Apr 9, 2013 7:13 PM

Aug 2012
... I feel like punching something
There is a hell believe me i've seen it. There is a heaven let's keep it a secret.
May 19, 2013 9:15 PM

Jul 2012
Are you serious? I am fed up with this already.
Anyways the ending can't bee a bad one, right, right?
I mean, come on, the lights must be for some miracle or something.
Jun 3, 2013 10:13 PM

Feb 2010
This isn't right. He was finally happy. I love and hate this show at the same time. I'm still depressed over nagisas death. Now this?!
I feel sooooo bad for tomoya. Poor guy. His life is terrible.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Jun 8, 2013 10:46 AM

Jul 2011
They should have played "The Place Where Wishes Come True II" OST at the exact time that ushio died. It didn't have emotional impact as seen on episode 18.
Jun 22, 2013 2:09 PM

May 2013
poor tomoya
Jul 10, 2013 8:00 PM

Oct 2012
This was not as bad as when Nagisa died, but it was still really sad. ;_;
Jul 22, 2013 5:54 PM

Jul 2013
That episode literally BAWL my eyes out with tears!! I hope the last episode would be satisfying~
Jul 26, 2013 10:38 PM
Jun 2013
Why the fuck did Tomoya go out in the first place? Be rational. If Ushio's dead this is a stupid ending. I didn't find it sad, just stupid. 8.5/10. Rating miight go down soon.
Jul 27, 2013 6:30 AM

May 2013
I agree with everyone, I was wondering... why would you take your nearly dead daughter, who is fucking sick and travel with her through the fucking freezing cold weather!?!? Tomoya, that was all your fault, fucking dipshit...uh wasn't as nearly sad as Nagisa's death but still loving the anime!!!
*insert cringey anime reference here*
Aug 2, 2013 10:53 AM

Apr 2013
yeah why would tomoya bring her daughter outside when the weather is fucking freezing... maybe he knows that he was dreaming after all..
Watch the latest anime here: http://aniverse2.blogspot.com/
Aug 12, 2013 6:11 AM

Apr 2012
Was enjoying it so far, but I'm starting to think this series might be retarded...
Aug 15, 2013 4:49 PM
Jul 2013
This anime series is the saddest show I've ever watched. And from what i hear it's pretty realistic, kinda scary if you think about it. Apart from the hidden world and magic of course. I could barely watch the opening with nagisa after her death but now ushio..it's just so sad
Aug 25, 2013 11:29 AM

Feb 2013
That was a sad scene although my eyes didn't shed a single tear.

At first, I was annoyed that Tomoya took Ushio on a trip but then after giving it some thought, I realized that maybe Tomoya fufilled Ushio's wish because he knew it was her last one. I don't know if that's true. I was trying to grow roses from a pile of manure.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Aug 26, 2013 5:22 AM

Oct 2011
kuuurt said:
Ah fuck, they ruined the series with this bullshit. From the emotional rides that are episodes 18 and 19, this shit happens. It's forced, everybody could see it. They're just milking the results from the despair seen in the previous episodes. It gets tiring too, you know? I would've been happier with a happy ending, or maybe MC finds another girl as a substitute for Nagisa. But noooo, they just had to shit on a supposedly good series. This episode might've successfully lowered my rare rating of 10/10 to 8/10.

Angel Beats! all over again. I'm fucking mad.

=( But the whole buzz surrounding Kanade's heart in Angel Beats didn't make any sense whatsoever.
Sep 7, 2013 8:40 PM

Jul 2012
Okayyy um, no offence Tomoya, but her death was partially your fault as a bad parent. It was freezing outside and he brings a her outside when she's been having a fever for two months? That is not responsible. And to let her try to walk herself as well. Also, props to Nakamura Yuuchi (aka Tomo's VA) for the great acting.

_ClariS said:
They should have played "The Place Where Wishes Come True II" OST at the exact time that ushio died. It didn't have emotional impact as seen on episode 18.

True. ^

Anyway, I see that the fantasy deus ex crap is finally going to come in. I'm kind of glad, because he needs to have some sort of happy ending. This guy has suffered too much.
MayukaSep 7, 2013 8:45 PM
Sep 9, 2013 6:36 PM

Jan 2013
Why just why?!?!?
How this happened,she died :/
First Nagisa then Ushio,it's so unfair...
I don't know what to expect from the edning....
This episde was very emotional,it's impossible to don't cry :/
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Oct 1, 2013 2:01 PM

Oct 2011
I can't believe that Ushio died. After all these episodes of happiness and getting to see Tomoya and Ushio bond and now this happens? It feels like a slap in the face. Desperately hoping that somehow Ushio is saved, otherwise the ending is probably going to be really sad.
Oct 13, 2013 8:16 PM

Jun 2013
NOW USHIO'S DEAD TOO!!! Sad episode. Ushio got to die in her papa's arms. I can't say much more, it's too sad. I wonder how the next episode going to turn out.
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Oct 16, 2013 9:23 PM

Feb 2013
his mother..wife..and now his daughter
its like someone do this on purpose to throw him in the deepest of despair
Oct 18, 2013 6:49 PM

Jul 2013
NO! This cannot be happening! Please don't tell Ushio's dead! She's all Tomoya has! Aww, poor Tomoya. :-(

Remember that light from the other episode? It entered Tomoya outside his father's house. I was hoping his wish would be granted. How can they finally finish this season?
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

patient_senses - Mar 12, 2009

1171 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 8:57 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KY791 - Mar 11, 2009

135 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

quentinlau - Feb 19, 2009

177 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 7:17 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

id - Feb 12, 2009

728 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 6:42 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nightmare7 - Feb 5, 2009

352 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 5:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.