Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 25, 2013 6:55 AM

Nov 2007
This episode was so funny.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jul 25, 2013 7:23 AM

Dec 2008
Great episode! Hilarious! Rei finally did it. So, it looks like the butterfly stroke suits him the best.

I'm probably looking at it all too deeply, but I view Rin as a shark and Haruka as a dolphin. The shark wants to devour the dolphin...not realizing that a dolphin can actually kill a shark. In other words, Haruka is going to open up a can of whoop ass on Rin when they do finally race.

I have been so focused on the MCs in the ED that I'm just now noticing that there are badly dancing guys in the background wearing scuba masks. This anime is going to be the death of me. *nosebleed*

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 25, 2013 7:29 AM

Jun 2013
I loved the episode. Rei is a really likable character. I didn't think I would enjoy seeing him but he's so goofy and awkward and not at all what I expected out of him XD
Though I do question his taste in bathing suits...
Makoto in glasses is hot.
hmm...what else...Rin is totally into Haru, he pinned him to the wall/fence for fucks sake.
Jul 25, 2013 8:19 AM

Apr 2013
LMAO those gay looking swimsuits xD

Anyway this episode was hilarious. The part when they where having a meeting to discuss why Rei can't swim.

Haruka you're such a genius :D
Jul 25, 2013 9:03 AM

Jan 2012
Lol I just loved how Rei kept sinking xD
And his choice of swimsuit was kind weird at first ^^'
Jul 25, 2013 9:09 AM

Aug 2012
i never expected this show would be this hilarious. since next ep will include beach scenes, i hope i can see Gou Kou in a swimsuit..

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Jul 25, 2013 9:24 AM

Jun 2011
So much fanservice lol, not that I'm complaining XD

Jul 25, 2013 9:57 AM

Apr 2007
my maniliness is leaving me...
Jul 25, 2013 10:02 AM

Nov 2008
I love this anime more than I love most things and this episode was perfect I asdfghhk

<3333
Jul 25, 2013 10:06 AM
Feb 2013
Ahhh loved this one so much! Really, every episode was fun up to now :D
Jul 25, 2013 10:07 AM

Mar 2009
actually i can only swim butterfly style too, i mean im very slow(k,i cant move at all:D) when using other styles so i found that part realistic.

i like gou, she is cute and adds hilarity but when i see (mostly) fanboys scream "kou kou! im watching because of her,come on fanservise!" who are you kidding lol? she maybe a factor but whenever i see comments only about kou but nothing about the show itself it looks like an excuse they tell themselves.. btw i really wonder what will kyoani do for this show.will they add more shounen ainess or will it be like just fabulous for the lulz, i mean if its gay enough im sure many more fujoshi will buy it in the future but i dont think many straight male audience would buy it "either way" kyoani choose(gay or not).

there is an obvious change with the boys' bodies but i find it smart, because they havent been working out at all but since rei was pretty sporty before his muscles are visually larger&better than others'. tho in the end i hope to see a quality close to the PV. this show has a very decent plot, very decent animation&art, very decent fanservice so far. i wanna give it a high score but i really cant, they should decide its path.
Jul 25, 2013 10:23 AM

Jul 2013
Usually I don't watch animes with so many 'pretty boys' in the center, actually I hate them. I don't know why but Free! is different. First I didn't even want to approach the series but because I love the sport genre I gave it a shot anyway. And yeah I really am glad I did. The comedy and chemistry is just great!

I wonder if Kou will actually end up with one of them. If so, I defnitely would root for Haru =D
Jul 25, 2013 11:06 AM

Jan 2012
I need this like water. Think I'm going to keep it in my phone so I can watch it every night and day. Babiesbabiesbabies<3

Makoto loooks freaking good when trying the swimsuit gosh
Jul 25, 2013 11:18 AM

Feb 2013
I'm feeling like this is the best show from this season. Why am I enjoying this too much? And I was surprise about how many time it took for Rei learn how to swim. He has not a good taste when choosing a swimsuit, that's more than clear. I love Haru, seriously. And Makoto, my favorite. Loooving this episode.

Jul 25, 2013 11:50 AM

Jul 2013
Mayanei said:
Wretched_Fujoshi said:
Mayanei said:

He didn't say anything really rude..

Except for the 'fags' part. I'm sure no one would be offended by that.

Yeah he said skinny boy fags.. Towards the fictional characters. And i said "REALLY RUDE" As in these types of posts:
"OMG THIS ANIME SUCKS BWUSBGIBAUVUIFFIVUBFW GAYYYY LIKE WTF ANFAIF *lists reasons why this anime sucks*"

Fag = one word, and it's not purely directed toward the people watching the anime.
Hence why i wrote "really".

Say the characters were black and someone on this thread called them n***ers. Would it matter that they had said it about fictional people?

Okay, back to business: the drawing in this show is unbelievable good. The animators have a strong grasp of anatomy and the backgrounds are stunning. I've never watched KyoAni stuff before, but if they produce this level of work on their other shows, I just might have to give K-On a watch.
Wretched_FujoshiJul 25, 2013 11:55 AM
Jul 25, 2013 11:51 AM
Oct 2011
Love the show. But damn just hate on it being or forshadowing that its gay. Damn Just when my sport is animated and gets a show compared to the soccer, basketball, baseball, NRL. Swiimming has to be gay. Owell could help but think of ways of helping Rei get better, would have been cooler if they said he didnt pull and catch the water. Or the nitty gritty techniques of swimming but hey. Still enjoying it and pls no more boy love.
Jul 25, 2013 1:08 PM

Jul 2013
DuCk_S3R said:
Love the show. But damn just hate on it being or foreshadowing that its gay. Damn Just when my sport is animated and gets a show compared to the soccer, basketball, baseball, NRL. Swimming has to be gay.

I've never seen it, but I think Kuroko no Basket has a lot of gay undertones too iirc. And I mean, this is Kyoto Animation. Most of their work has some sort of underlying love story (Air, Kanon, Clannad, Haruhi Suzumiya, etc) and it generally appeals to more of a female audience. Pair that with athletes who are shirtless almost all the time, you get pseudo-shonen ai.
Jul 25, 2013 1:09 PM

Jul 2010
How is it even possible you can't even move an inch even though you're able to float? Well at least he finally found his destined stroke in the end. :)

I also liked how Gou understood how men must feel while girls are shopping and endlessly trying on clothes. xD

As for some guys who are still here and still keep calling the show gay (rant warning):
OnyxthegreatJul 25, 2013 1:27 PM

Jul 25, 2013 1:17 PM
Jul 2013

Yes I see the point if they were black, but in this case he is not talking about the difference in races... That's racism of course, people would get instantly be offended by that. But he was making a point by comparing the Free! characters (muscled) to some other characters that do not have that physical appearance.
Again, he's comparing the design of the characters, in terms of physique appearance.

There's a term called 'foil' in which people compare the first thing to another thing to make the first thing better. EX: Achilles is an ass, but Agamemnon is more of an ass than him, so Agamemnon makes Achilles not seem that bad.

The characters in Free! do look a bit more realistic, though the shoulders are a bit exaggerated. Still the art design is nice.

----
To suggest another KyoAni show by the way, since you might give other KyoAni shows a shot:
The character designer of this show is also the character designer of Hyouka if you want to watch that. It's slice of life, and mystery genres.

My personal favorite from KyoAni is Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu! if you want to try that instead. They also did the other pretty popular animes, Haruhi and Lucky Star along with Clannad.
Jul 25, 2013 1:28 PM

Mar 2010
Lol. He's choosing swimming trunks and what's bad it's all the same. Rei is practicing how to swim and got only 1 week to learn how to. Too bad he always sinks. Nice! butterfly for him.
Jul 25, 2013 1:42 PM

Oct 2011
How Rei managed to swim without even moving an inch is kinda a talent in itself, lol, really how is that possible.
Signature
Jul 25, 2013 1:52 PM

Jul 2010
tsubasalover said:
No airing next week and next airing will be August 7, 2013.
Ahh, this rather sucks.

Anyways, this was a nice episode. Some jokes I became tired of though. Most notably the Kou/Gou and Rei's fails. I hope we'll see some new comedy material in the next few episodes. And not just the comedy material though, the Rin/Haru rivalry is also getting a bit old because nothing has really happened yet. I really want to see some action soon!

Also, Rei is just meh to as a character imo, so this episode and the last were somewhat lackluster to me.

Let's see some more interesting stuff soon! I feel like I'm more interested in the beautiful animation and the *coughcough* hotness rather than the story at this point.
fishergirl16Jul 25, 2013 1:56 PM
Jul 25, 2013 2:05 PM

Jul 2013
Mayanei said:

Yes I see the point if they were black, but in this case he is not talking about the difference in races...

It doesn't matter if it's racist, homophobic or misogynist, an offensive remark is still an offensive remark.

But he was making a point by comparing the Free! characters (muscled) to some other characters that do not have that physical appearance.
Again, he's comparing the design of the characters, in terms of physique appearance.

I know what he was doing, but you're missing the point. It doesn't matter if it was aimed at a particular person. 'Fag' (with the except of the UK slang for 'cigarette') is a derogatory slur invented for the sole purpose of putting down 'effeminate' men. There really is no innocuous use for the word 'fag.'

There's a term called 'foil' in which people compare the first thing to another thing to make the first thing better. EX: Achilles is an ass, but Agamemnon is more of an ass than him, so Agamemnon makes Achilles not seem that bad.

Excuse my bluntness, but I don't buy for a minute you can re-purpose a homophobic slur as a literary device. Not saying it can't be done. I just don't buy it in this instance. Back to business...

To suggest another KyoAni show by the way, since you might give other KyoAni shows a shot:
The character designer of this show is also the character designer of Hyouka if you want to watch that. It's slice of life, and mystery genres.

My personal favorite from KyoAni is Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu! if you want to try that instead. They also did the other pretty popular animes, Haruhi and Lucky Star along with Clannad.

Thannk you for all your suggestions. I actually have Lucky Star. It's my go to show whenever I'm stressed and want to relax. I've heard of Hyouka but never watched any eps. I might check it out. Mostly I'm just looking for something easy and relax, without too much plot.
Wretched_FujoshiJul 25, 2013 2:09 PM
Jul 25, 2013 2:06 PM

Mar 2012
As blatantly slathered in fanservice this episode was, I liked how the creators of this series flaunt the ridiculousness and the over-the-top elements. It's a pretty self-aware series and wears its flamboyance loud and proud, which I find pretty darn entertaining. I cracked up at the rainbow swimsuit.

Rei feels too flat as a character so far for me to like. All we've seen of him so far is the rehash of three things from him: over-analyzing everything, looking at things from the perspective of beauty, and the overdone sinking gag.
Jul 25, 2013 2:48 PM

Feb 2010
There was a lot of revealing of the butt in this episode. Not that I mind. just an observation.
Rei is such a freaking hilarious character, he's just so weird and weird characters make me start laughing uncontrollably.
He REALLY reminds me of Midorima from kuroko no basket (the love of my life) and it's not just the glasses.

And wow, srsly people are SERIOUSLY still calling this gay? Can you not see that this is clearly FANSERVICE DIRECTED TOWARDS GIRLS.
Be a man and stop complaining because your bitching and whining is seriously going to drive me insane.

On a more friendly note, I'l leave this adorable gif. Oh shush already, just calm yourselves.
Jul 25, 2013 2:54 PM

Jan 2008

Oh hello there my new wallpaper.
Makoto is love, damn it. HOW CAN I SAY NO TO HIM
Jul 25, 2013 3:01 PM

Jun 2008
This time's episode was really funny because of Rei. I didn't think they'd actually include rainbow-coloured clothes... xD And then Haruka said he's hated by the water, LOL XD I didn't expect him to meet Rin, either, I assumed that'd take a while - until the tournament, maybe. But that Rei was unable to swim even after Haruka's explanation was more unexpected than that since that's usually how it goes in manga/anime, so I'm positively surprised~
Jul 25, 2013 3:01 PM

Nov 2012
XD not bad .. XD this episode is not that bad! XD
lol XD finally rei can swim... XD in butterfly style muthacukaaa~~ XD ;p

ah! XD I wonder if rei take the rainbow one :/

kou is really fantastic! XD

garydx25 said:

Kou is love

btw that ending card? who is those girl XD :p
Jul 25, 2013 3:04 PM

Jun 2008
shigerogo said:

I totally thought of this guy XD
Jul 25, 2013 3:33 PM

Jan 2008
makarov52 said:

btw that ending card? who is those girl XD :p

Those are Makoto's siblings. They apeared in the previous episode, arguing about food, remember?
Jul 25, 2013 4:05 PM

Jan 2013
I was disappointed with this episode. The fan service has been fine up till now. I don't know, I just figured Free would be more classy about it (being subtle with fan service is sexier because it allows the imagination to conjure up images better than anything they can create). Let's hope next episode picks up the pace. I want this anime to be successful.
Jul 25, 2013 5:23 PM

May 2013
So true when i swim i just flap my arms and legs under the water but i dont move an inch
Jul 25, 2013 5:44 PM

Oct 2010
i was expecting some shounen ai tension from this anime but... this is seriously gayer than i expected...
Jul 25, 2013 6:43 PM
Jun 2013
Haru has gone back to being my favorite after this episode.
Why can't Rei swim? Because obviously his beloved water-san doesn't like him xD
Jul 25, 2013 10:33 PM

Mar 2013
The best part was when they were picking out swimsuits XD
Wow, so he can only do butterfly and if he tries anything else, he sinks like a rock....
Jul 26, 2013 1:11 AM

Jan 2013
And with this episode, any chance I had of defending this as a legit sports anime is now dead.

Fortunately the manservice is fucking hilarious.

You tightwads should relax and laugh once in a while.
Jul 26, 2013 2:55 AM
Aug 2012
My female friend keeps trying to say this show isn't excessively filled with fanservice, but this episode ;_; Series is probably delicious for girls though!
Jul 26, 2013 3:17 AM

Dec 2012
"4 out of 5: Liked it"

Hilarious episode.
Until they don't kiss each other I'll keep watching Free!.
Jul 26, 2013 3:22 AM

Jun 2009
"You will swim for me!"

The yaoi-o-meter is pretty high in this episode...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 26, 2013 7:47 AM

Feb 2013
4/5
Rei was so funny, I liked him very much ;> Really good episode, until Rin close his face to Haruka like a kiss ;< This episode looks like yaoi sometimes ;___; But almost perfect episode.

Jul 26, 2013 8:00 AM

Jul 2011
Well, it was a funny episode after all. I just ignore the fanservice as I do with almost all other ecchi show.
Jul 26, 2013 8:00 AM

May 2012
Kou <3
Jul 26, 2013 10:19 AM
Jul 2012
As former competitive swimmer, I'm reveling in nostalgia and nodding along with the explanations, so any yaoi implications go right over my head. But this was, without a doubt, a fun episode.
Jul 26, 2013 10:20 AM
Nov 2012
Actually, I used to sink like that too whenever I tried to 'swim'... gave up eventually XD
Nice ep.
Oh, and ♥Kou♥
Jul 26, 2013 11:43 AM

Jul 2013
Episode 4 and that Gou/Kou gag is still going... *sigh* Great episode though. Lol'd at some of the outfits (particularly Rei's) and I liked how Haru couldn't decide between any of the exact same shorts at the beginning haha.
Jul 26, 2013 11:56 AM
Jul 2018
lol @ people who complain about the yaoi vibes and lack of swimming. This clearly is not a show about swimming. It's a show about a male swim club. What did you expect? (laughs)
Jul 26, 2013 12:00 PM

Jan 2013
Still wondering how people can throw around anti-gay slurs on here and not get banned.

If I dropped the n-word I'd be out this bitch in 5 minutes.
Jul 26, 2013 12:14 PM

Apr 2009
Neer said:
Episode 4 and that Gou/Kou gag is still going... *sigh* Great episode though. Lol'd at some of the outfits (particularly Rei's) and I liked how Haru couldn't decide between any of the exact same shorts at the beginning haha.

idk if anyone has mentioned this yet. The Gou gag this week is
Gou-kun sounding like gokkun.

For y'all heterosexuality starved people.
Jul 26, 2013 12:16 PM

Jan 2013
Why does attractive guys = gay?

Why can't people laugh at gay stuff?

The gayness is hilarious. When Rin threw haru against the wall I was laughing so hard at the pure ridiculousness of the situation.
Jul 26, 2013 1:37 PM

Jul 2011
OMG the clothes Gou wearing when they are shopping is soooo cute and fashionable!!! It's actually quite rare for me to see an anime character wear some clothes that is actually something fashionable to wear in real life at the moment (It is really Spring/Summer 2013 trend, high waist maxi skirt with t-shirt placed inside the highwaist skirt, combined with rattan totebag!!!).

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the episode!!!! Rei is sooo hilarious and it's cute seeing him worried that Nagisa will damage his eyes if he wear Rei's glasses <3 <3 <3 I ship them soooo hard (I ship Nagisa with Gou before).

And i wonder how kawaii sensei come up with the Edison's quote, lol she have no idea what to say when the kids ask her for something inspiring the first time.

Haruka keep his funny antics, Rin is quite annoying as usual, and Makoto still fading into the background. I want to see more of the coach tho'

Overall, i'm surprised that this anime is soooo FUN to watch, i thought i wouldn't even like it when i saw the PV.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Free! shows demographic matters more than ever

Sanjay63773 - Jan 23

8 by Yaoi4U »»
Apr 3, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Free! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2013

408 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2013

145 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2013

170 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2013

102 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 5:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.