Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 19, 2013 3:01 AM

Jan 2012
Vigilant said:
I`ve seen awesome endings, great endings, good endings, regular endings, bad endings, horrible endings and Gantz...

Gantz would fit in the lazy endings category
Jul 21, 2013 3:29 AM

Jun 2012
Rushed. -_____- And no epilogue. I still have a lot of questions to be answered.
Jul 21, 2013 4:25 AM

Feb 2010
That was painful to read. One the biggest downfalls of any fictional work I've encountered in my life.

Well, guess I'm not in position to complain about it too much since I never paid a single coin to read the series, but if I had bought every single volume up to this point, and then given this big FUCK YOU by Oku... well, damn.
Jul 25, 2013 6:18 PM

Jul 2013
It took me a little while for the ending to fit into my head, you know?
I was freaking out because I heard that the manga had JUST ended, and I kind of felt like I was rushing through the chapter, all to find out that I wasn't, the chapter was just really freaking small!

But in the end I felt like it really did justice to the story in the sense that for OVER 300+ chapters Hiroya Oku has been scarring the minds of curious readers for YEARS NOW and he fills his work with grotesque and taboo imagery and issues that you wouldn't dare think of. So, I think that in the end it was well-played that he ended it short, simple, and ultimately sweet by Kurono resting in Tae's arms. I think he succeeded because I STILL get a frog in my throat when I think about it.

But that's just my 2 cents.
Jul 27, 2013 6:56 PM
Nov 2011
I honestly think that even though this is rushed, even though as a reader I am not satisfied with the unexplained or un-detailed ending, and even though we are left with so many unanswered questions regarding the situation of Earth and the status Kuruno received after he arrived on Earth, it gave me some sort of fulfillment.

I would understand those who think that the ending is complete shit and doesn't serve the manga its right, because I felt the same. BUT, I feel like it is very risky to add more chapters to this to just satisfy us. I think a chapter or two more would have been better, but the last chapter is memorable now, whether good, bad, shitty, amazing....whatever!

Now my hopes are that they re-animate the show using the same plot, and maybe do a better job with the ending!
Jul 28, 2013 8:37 PM

Nov 2012
Wow, not much was explained, like what happened to the ship that was going to crash into earth? What happened to the other people that were on ship at the time it was going to crash into earth? What happened to the survivors after? Did Katou end up looking for baby momma?

While I still have plenty of questions, I won't deny that I enjoyed the hell out of Gantz and it was a crazy and fun ride, but there are parts that dragged a lot though.
8/10 for enjoyment
Jul 29, 2013 1:35 AM
Nov 2010
lol when i finish the last chapter (or about to finish) the first thing i notice was that tae apparently didnt wear pants(or underwear) for 3 day and after that appear in public while running toward the shoreline with tons of ppl behind her.
Hi
Aug 2, 2013 2:42 AM

Jan 2008
I'm gonna process the ending before quick judgement, but yeah it's flat and rushed. There must be a real-world reason for why the author ended it like this, I think he was forced to end it by a certain amount of chapters...

But more importantly for me, I think Oku dropped the ball by not involving the core characters we love into the final arc, such as those vampire dudes, Kaze and the kid, etc, etc.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 2, 2013 3:03 AM

Dec 2012
Janyan said:
I liked the font they used for the The End. Beautiful.
Man. Some people are trying really really hard to find good things about this ending.
PolyphemusAug 2, 2013 9:35 AM
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Aug 13, 2013 11:58 AM

Nov 2009
The ending was rather disappointing, it kind of went downhill after the first phase ... And the ending was just ...

Anyways overall though the series was okay, would give it a 7/10.
Aug 15, 2013 4:55 AM

Dec 2009
Well, as much as I enjoyed this, the ending also left me a bit disappointed. The final arc could have been longer and more well explored, but instead, it all ends with a simple final duel.
Aug 16, 2013 3:02 AM

Aug 2013
What a crock of shit. If you are going to entertain tackling profound questions then you'd better damn well be prepared to explore them in a meaningful way. What Oku achieves instead is a badly paced, pretentious, and illogical excuse to showcase tits and gore. Such a fitting ending really.
Aug 29, 2013 6:33 PM
May 2013
lemongrahb said:
I re-wrote the later part of the final arc and the ending, starting from about where Kurono takes the alien hostage, and re-writing everything after that:

http://lemongrahb.tumblr.com/post/55607238651

I wanted the closing chapters of the story to reflect the brutal, harsh reality that made the earlier chapters so good. I was not a fan of KEI-CHAN/TAE-CHAN crying, but I didn't want to alter the fundamental truth that their relationship was a core part of the final story, I just resolved it in a different way that I think will have most of you going :-O or :-D or both.

The final war could have been the epic struggle it was built up to be, full of moral gray areas, tough choices, and sacrifice. The ending turns out to be a lot happier for some characters than others. Kurono gets a "happy" ending, but it isn't the ending he would have wanted.

This was a rough draft I wrote in 1 sitting late at night after I read the final chapters. It isn't perfect. I'm not that happy with the setting for the epilogue but I figured it would get the job done. I debated opening the epilogue with Kurono having a tender moment with Tae, only to wake up next to _______. I think I'd put something like that in a more polished draft to show that Kurono's ending torments him, but if I added all those detailed scenes, this would have been 20x longer.

In the future whenever I am reminded of Gantz, this will be the ending that I'll remember. Thanks for this even despite the lack of detail it was really fullfilling.
Aug 31, 2013 6:54 PM

Jan 2012
wanted to know what happened with the vampires.
this manga deserved a better ending.

Sep 1, 2013 1:24 AM
Nov 2011
really rushed ending i was let down with this series it had a lot of potential but the last few arcs were really bad and the ending was too rushed/garbage
Sep 7, 2013 4:29 AM

Jul 2008
WELL that was rushed. The people from his magazine or whatever probably pushed him to end it soon.
Sep 8, 2013 12:19 AM

Jan 2013
Still miss Cherry
Sep 28, 2013 2:50 AM
Dec 2012
Yes, some (ultimately meaningless) questions were left unanswered, but this manga was so bad-ass that I don't even care. Early on I knew that there was no way that there would be a nice and tidy resolution to the deeper questions. I thought that what the manga offered was good enough.

The meeting with the "eh, fuck it - we did it 'cause we could" alien was basically created to explain the reason for everything happening in a very straightforward manner (in short: "They annoyed us so we decided to be dicks") while spouting out philosophical bullshit ("You are things" + creating then destroying old friends) that ties into the overall theme of Gantz to depress readers only to throw a bone immediately afer (by basically saying that people have souls and that everyone will be reincarnated anyways; in other words, the resurrection process was simply a different form of reincarnation). Arguably, that's the "real" ending.

The actual ending of Gantz that follows the meeting with the "fuck it" alien is likely a result of the author's editorial team pressuring him into creating a more conclusive ending - to draw the war to a close. Could it have been done better? Very likely, but I still enjoyed the action and touching moment at the very end nonetheless. As for the minor details... they don't really matter. But there's one detail that some people seem to be unsure about that could hide the true purpose of the ending.

There is a plausible reason for the spaceship not crashing to the Earth - the alien hero told Kurono that he'd crash into the Earth (in kamikaze fashion) if Kurono didn't show up and defeat him. When he got defeated, the other alien started the self-destruction process early and then offed himself. In other words, he committed seppuku on behalf of his entire race after their absolute defeat (as might be expected of a proud and defeated Japanese soldier). They had already been chased away by another alien species and their hero was killed as an exclamation point to the lost war against a species that was supposed to be not only physically weak but also technological inept, so you can imagine that their despair must have been at maximum.

The intentionally early self-destruction put a subtly tragic end to their (ultimately meaningless) saga. And for all that, everyone on Earth promptly forgets that an entire race has just gone extinct (as far as the manga is concerned anyways) in the culmination of overwhelming (and sappy) joy. In that sense, the end ironically shows how little value (alien) people's lives really have. It's doubly ironic that it's the Japanese Kurono Kei who defeats an alien race whose culture vaguely resembles that of the Japanese not just in their blatant consumer culture but also in their soldiers' particular brand of honor in the aftermath of war. And maybe that's the real reason for not showing more; by avoiding discussion of the aliens from then on, it cleverly re-iterated that recurring theme of the worthlessness of (not quite) human life - all without having to say a word (in stark contrast to the meeting with the "fuck it" alien).

If this theory is right, then it's possible that the author's editors told him he couldn't just conclude the story without explaining things in a more obvious way; i.e. rather than forcing him to write a "proper" conclusion after writing the "fuck it" alien chapters as I conjectured earlier, maybe they forced him to write in the "fuck it" alien in response to the lack of explanation in his originally proposed conclusion.

But that just my imagination going wild. Maybe I'm way off base and the ending actually sucked balls.

[edit: hyphenated 'bad ass' because cantius pointed out how it could be misread]
JamadaOct 24, 2013 3:29 AM
Oct 2, 2013 2:42 PM

Jan 2012
The alien shit started to get weird after a while, then it got pretty good again...

Until like the last 10 chapters.

13 years, and THIS is what we get for an ending? Fucking honestly?
Lemme smang it girl.
Oct 17, 2013 6:28 PM

Sep 2013
_Ayane_ said:
Ohw my god THAT'S IT?
The earth is saved and the heroes survived??? This is so Hollywood!

A thing SO Hollywood is what he wanted since the beggining and Oku said so many times.
Im happy Katou and Kurono survived, and I loved this story. But there really are some things unfinished that makes you feel uncomfortable, it really seems that he rushed this ending just to leave Gantz closed....
Some things were unexploited, like all the vampire stuff...I mean, why the hell he did not made more background story about all that and Kurono Kei's brother more of a useful character. This is what really bothers me more than the ending being happy or bad
Oct 17, 2013 8:16 PM

Jan 2013
He should have made the series longer.
Oct 17, 2013 11:39 PM

May 2013
Oku better clear this the fuck up. This could have been over 1000 chapters.

Give me a sequel, you fuck.

Seriously, I love you, but sequel please.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Nov 23, 2013 9:55 AM

May 2012
I dropped this series at 320 chp back then, now finished and nothing too surprising. Still loved the Nurarihyon arc or whatever it was, after that it was just about lowering expectations...
Well the ending was shit for near 400 chapter series though...
Nov 26, 2013 2:47 AM
Mar 2012
The great conclusion of a Magnum Opus. I found myself feeling deflated at the epicness of the whole world watching a single events, the moments of interspersion with the anonymous chat room just did it for me. Excellent no-nonsense ending. This was a story about kurono kei, and the world being saved.

Great piece of work, I'm dying to get a behind-the-scenes look on how exactly he managed to produce something like this. I'm glad that I was able to have the opportunity to read such an amazing manga.
Dec 9, 2013 1:15 PM

Apr 2012
Learned a new word from this thread: underwhelming

Anyways, the ending wasn't anything too bad. I didn't think Gantz was a masterpiece from the beginning, so I wasn't disappointed like a lot other readers.

Though, the manga could use more closure, possibly an epilogue as some suggested.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Dec 15, 2013 11:05 AM
Jul 2013
WHAT! that's it? there is no closure at all. wtf this is so disappointing
Dec 17, 2013 5:17 PM

Dec 2012
I think the author just wanted to end it. I wouldn't be too shocked if he made a lot of stuff along the way.

This manga became a cluster fuck since chapter 300 or even before that and it became bad since the whole alien concept was introduced.

I miss the old Gantz, I really used to love it around the 60-200ish chapters. 8/10 only because it used to be actually really great and looks like a lot of people agree on this.
tsudecimoDec 17, 2013 5:21 PM
Dec 25, 2013 3:56 PM

Sep 2011
That ending: blowing up the mothership, escaping via alien crafts, all the aliens supposedly dying at once, and then the shots of them walking on the beach to be embraced by their loved ones and greeted by everyone else - I've seen this movie before...

Independence Day!

In all seriousness it was a crap ending to an otherwise okay manga.
I know Kung-Food!
Jan 5, 2014 8:09 PM
Aug 2013
The ending wasnt nessesarily bad, but it deserved to be far longer given the length of this manga.
Jan 9, 2014 7:29 AM

Nov 2008
First: liked it!It's finally finished.

Second:
NimbusC said:

In all seriousness it was a crap ending to an otherwise okay manga.

I concur...It was dissapointing, should have ended around the 372 chapter.
Jan 19, 2014 11:14 AM

Nov 2012
The ending wasn't too bad. I like that it was a happy ending.

It felt rushed though. I want to know what happened next.

4/5
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 27, 2014 1:58 PM

Jan 2014
I remember when this ended like... a year ago. I was such a huge fan of Gantz. The alien arc was dragged out far too long, and so when the end came, I felt both relieved but also a bit underwhelmed.

There wasn't enough closure as mentioned - the series felt forcibly cut and folded with that happy Disney ending. At least they stopped bringing people back to life.

If everyone got resurrected in the end because tons of people got "100 points", I would have to fly to Japan and kick Hiroya Oku in the crotch.
Feb 2, 2014 8:31 AM

Nov 2012
WTF just happened? Laaaaamee!!!
Feb 3, 2014 1:42 PM

Aug 2012
k11chi said:
I dropped this series at 320 chp back then, now finished and nothing too surprising. Still loved the Nurarihyon arc or whatever it was, after that it was just about lowering expectations...
Well the ending was shit for near 400 chapter series though...

Yeah it went completely downhill after that arc... Such a major disappointment. Well Oku is famous for rushing his works and make crappy endings.

I'm still angry not to have any information about the vampires. There was so much other stuff used and never expanded upon >_>

Feb 10, 2014 5:55 AM

Jan 2014
So I just read this over 3 days while at work. All I wanted to see in the end was Kaze and Takeshi see each other again. What the hell even happened to Muscle Rider?
Mar 3, 2014 2:30 AM

Mar 2012
tsudecimo said:
I think the author just wanted to end it. I wouldn't be too shocked if he made a lot of stuff along the way.

This manga became a cluster fuck since chapter 300 or even before that and it became bad since the whole alien concept was introduced.

I miss the old Gantz, I really used to love it around the 60-200ish chapters. 8/10 only because it used to be actually really great and looks like a lot of people agree on this.

Same here, shit just became way too chaotic once the invasion started. Really missed when they were fighting to survive and earn points to be free or save someone. For me before the invasion and Reika cloning Kurono this manga was a 9/10, the part around the invasion to the end was a 7/10. Overall I give it an 8/10 because it was a pretty good read for a while.
Mar 5, 2014 4:01 PM

Oct 2012
Nice ending, I like it. But looks like I'm the only with that opinion, lol. I guess I'm just glad Tae and Kei live :-) But seriously, the whole humanity was looking at Kurono fighting a giant badass alien for the sake of humanity, that was some intense and epic stuff right there... Sure it was rushed, but I thought it was epic.
9/10 for me.

I guess most people don't like happy endings...
Mar 6, 2014 1:50 PM

Jun 2012
So that was Gantz eh? I almost wish I hadn't ever finished it (I stopped back at 314 before), because I fucking loved it... until the ending. I'm actually one of the few who loved that final arc, but when it got down to the last 10-15 chapters though and that know-it-all/higher being/Sebastian alien race started spouting it's theories of humanity I knew the series was going to leave me with an unsatisfying taste in my mouth.

^ @Marloges - for me it wasn't simply the fact that it had a happy ending. It was that it didn't even feel like an ending at all. Sure they killed the aliens that were attacking them, but that other race seems like even worse people. They also completely contradicted themselves with every single thing they said: "We couldn't stand by and let you be killed, but we don't give two shits about you, die.", "you treat people like insects, but we do too... we'll put you in your place... [hey watch this], die vermin!" and lastly "You're only made up of various elements and have no substantial essence... it's not like we can transform into whatever we want, therefore also being made up of shit as well."

So in the end, they didn't actually explain the reason for Gantz' existence... they basically said we just kind of gave it to you... not to help you, not to hurt you, not for our enjoyment, not because we wanted allies, and most importantly not because we were interested in any way. Just gave it to you because we didn't even feel like doing so. It would've been better to just say that they were a race that was destroyed and left the technology to humans as a last effort for revenge or something if they're gonna go for a happy ending anyway.

I really don't mind the happy ending, but it was such a boring one at that... I'd actually have preferred humanity just being wiped out and nothing ever being answered than what we got. There was just so much that got resolved on a whim... the author pretty much decided "man shit I don't know where to go with Reika and Kurono-2, I'm just going to kill them now (yes I realize that happens a lot in Gantz, but their deaths were just so redundant and no one cared about them anymore since both of them had long since become side-characters).

Nishi died completely pointlessly, if only for the fact that Kurono suddenly went full retard for a moment and for some reason decided to try and protect these aliens that had literally just wiped out 60% of humans. And the only thing Sakurai did was save two kids who died anyway.

In the end absolutely none of the main characters actually did anything. They didn't even take a part in stopping them. They were all just fighting some random aliens and fighting as hard as they can just to survive, basically getting their asses completely handed to them while the aliens watch and laugh at them and then suddenly, BAM "Ohey guys, by the way we won! Here let us just teleport you here, we're already having a big party right here... just suckin' some bongs, getting drunk, and raping aliens... oh there's also this wicked room of truth where this guy's turning into historical figures and killing anyone who gets too close. Lots of fun.

Then Oku decides "You know what, I should add some death matches to spice things up" before I end it...
>kills all the aliens
>makes the only one who was obviously strong kill them all without showing it
>forcefully has the main character go up against him
>makes the new random characters no one knows (except maybe the dual wielding guy) defeat him
>has the main character jump in when he's not expecting it, for the real final blow
>suddenly at the very end doesn't like killing characters anymore, has them ALL survive

Oh shit! Explosions! Run! They survive... the end.

To add just a little more, it didn't even feel like a victory... they were completely losing and then without even explaining how, they won. Without even realizing they won, suddenly their war hero is making their entire civilization kamikaze. I'm sure I'm repeating a lot of what others already said, but that's my two cents.

At least every single male lead got the girl of their dreams and made a family together... that really fit the theme of everyone dying in Gantz.
HalibelTheEspadaMar 6, 2014 1:58 PM
Mar 16, 2014 9:30 PM

May 2010
This whole alien arc thing was stupid, I don't understand how it ties in with the old Gantz game at all. Actually it started to become bad when we were in the Osaka arc.

And what about the vampires? Why the hell were they introduced in the first place??
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 20, 2014 9:48 AM

Oct 2012
Final arc > Osaka arc imo.
Mar 20, 2014 9:49 AM

Apr 2008
Marloges said:

You can't be serious
Mar 24, 2014 5:09 AM
Apr 2013
why dont they do full anime
it will be one of the best
Mar 26, 2014 10:02 AM

Sep 2013
I agree the ending was slightly rushed, but I thoroughly enjoyed this series anyways and didn't really mind it. I think it was a pretty epic conclusion to a such an epic series in the literal sense of the word. I got the same sorta feeling from the ending as I got from Gurren Lagann back when I watched that, so that was pretty awesome.

I completely disagree that this last arc was the worst. I thought it was the best one of them all. (Excluding the ending of course)

The worst part was definitely the one during which Kurono was dead, it felt like filler almost.

Kei Kurono is one badass motherfucker, the end.

9/10, favorite'd

If this was any other manga I would probably be a little more critical on the load of things left unexplained, but since this is Gantz, I can look over that. Gantz was simply so entertaining, never letting its grip off me, that I don't mind any of the bullshit the writing had at times, especially towards the end.
cupcApr 13, 2014 3:31 AM
Mar 26, 2014 7:21 PM

Oct 2012
Darklight0303 said:
Marloges said:

You can't be serious

I am serious. The final boss of the Osaka arc was awesome, but it hadn't much other to offer. The story didn't progress much and Kurono was missing... The whole arc was about the other team and how Katou tries to get 100 points.

The final arc on the other hand explained the whole reason why Gantz exists and we got an epic fight for humanity.
May 30, 2014 8:05 AM

Dec 2013
I must say that I was entirely disappointed by this last chapter since this last arc actually had an okay story. The ending was extremely rushed and left many unexplained parts in the story such as the reason the Vampires wanted to kill the hunters in the first place. The fates of many of the remaining characters were left untold also.

The manga's story was good but I was unimpressed by this final chapter.

2/5
Jun 30, 2014 6:04 AM

May 2008
hmmmm ending felt abit ruszhed but still overall as a good read that i did in 1 day good job me LOL soooo 8/10 mmmm guess i got 1 of those manga out of the way that i wanted to finish.... it did kinda get ridiculous near the end but i guess that how manga/anime go anyway there meant to be that unrealistic feel to it
Jul 6, 2014 1:59 AM

Oct 2013
I fucking loved Gantz but this ending is so gaaaaay!! I think the series really went downhill once the last 30 chapters started coming. Got sick of the KEI-CHAN!!! TAE-CHAN!!! bullshit.

Why the fuck where the vampires even in the story? Ok...

I'm just glad Kishimoto never came back for real :D shitty ass character.

Gantz is one of my all time fav mangas now but really the author didn't wrap shit up too well :/
Jul 7, 2014 2:24 AM

May 2013
I like Gantz as a whoe but man, this ending is so underwhelming. I was thinking the whole time: "That's it?". It was a boring chapter. This chapter is 2/5 for me, But the series gets a 9/10
Jul 9, 2014 11:53 PM

May 2013
Overall the manga was awesome, it had a bit of everything which is a plus for me and didn't feel that there was anything missing. The ending left me unsatisfied with all of loose ends. One of them being the vampires. It wasn't the worst ending but it definitely could have had a proper ending where everyone that had survived be given a short after story.
Eon21Jul 9, 2014 11:58 PM
Jul 15, 2014 1:51 AM
Sep 2011
Underwhelming ending. Would have rated it 8/10 with the right ending, but with the last 15 chapters or so and THIS I can't go above 7. Gantz is a good series (not great) with a really poor ending.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gantz Chapter 83 Discussion

becool - Jun 17, 2013

9 by Blazinnie »»
Apr 17, 7:31 PM

» Gantz Deluxe Edition

Mila91 - Apr 8

4 by Sagepool »»
Apr 8, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Gantz Chapter 22 Discussion

KitaTsuki - Nov 17, 2012

6 by selasgamer »»
Mar 29, 6:59 AM

Poll: » Gantz Chapter 21 Discussion

BackLashWave - Jan 14, 2012

6 by selasgamer »»
Mar 29, 6:54 AM

Poll: » Gantz Chapter 20 Discussion

KitaTsuki - Nov 17, 2012

6 by selasgamer »»
Mar 29, 6:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.