Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2022 12:06 AM
Nov 2021
This is prolly one of my favorite anime this season
Apr 10, 2022 12:36 AM

May 2020
FINALLYY, after holding back from reading the manga until the anime airs, totally worth it!! doga kobo's SoL adaptation is always the best drugs, also the OP🔥🔥as expected from this studio

Apr 10, 2022 12:54 AM

Oct 2016
God, I fucking love this a lot already. Been waiting for this since it was announced, since it sounded like my jam, the wait was absolutely worth it.

I am salivating, because they're already dating, it's rare and refreshing to see. Must protecc Izumi. Weekends are blessed with wholesomeness once again this season, can't wait for the rest of the episodes.
Apr 10, 2022 1:35 AM

Apr 2021
Nice premiere, I like it but it isn't striking like the other show's premiere this season. However, I can feel that it will be more interesting in the coming episodes. I'd like to witness the history of why such circumstances happen to Yuu and how Micchon became like that.

Apr 10, 2022 2:16 AM

Jan 2015
Even better than I thought it would be. It’s a refreshing romcom for sure.
Shikimori is so likeable.

OP a 10 out of 10. Reminds me of Mikakunin’s in terms of artistic direction.
Apr 10, 2022 2:22 AM

Jan 2021
Please let me have one Shikimori-san in my life...

Apr 10, 2022 2:28 AM
Feb 2022
I liked it because the episode Izumi is completely unlucky, his girlfriend is so beautiful and she always protects him from everything that can happen to him.
Apr 10, 2022 2:54 AM

Sep 2008
This was not for me, it does feel very bland and boring, characters was completely 2d.
Just could not like it, truth be told it just felt stupid and empty.
Not a big fan of the color and sparkly animation of Shikimori either, she felt out of place, since everything else was more or less normal. I guess the gap between her and everything else was to big. Should have toned it down 25-35% maybe.
Apr 10, 2022 3:10 AM
Jan 2016
so far so good. love the fact they are already dating so this isn't another will they won't they BS. hope we can see how they met/the confession. other then that I hope the relationship develops and it's not static like other couples have been
Apr 10, 2022 3:12 AM
Nov 2017
Great First Episode, I'm really enjoying what I've seen so far. The OP and ED are good.
Apr 10, 2022 3:14 AM

May 2018
poor Ijumi but damn Shikimori is top tier waifu quality
Apr 10, 2022 3:15 AM
Mar 2021
I've been waiting for this. I love the manga and loved the 1st episode as well. Winter 2022 best girl, Marin. Spring 2022 best girl would/could be Shikimori but the girls in Date a Live tho hmmm warrrr. I love the premise of the story. I love rom-com and this changes in the plot of the mc being more weak-willed and unlucky is interesting to see. For those contemplating to watch or not, please do give it a try!
Apr 10, 2022 3:54 AM

May 2018
Oh I know i'm in love now, oh yes this is love alright

What a way to start up the anime and is it just me or is Shikimori like a ninja or summin? I LOVE HER THOUGH! The way that she continuously tries to protect Izumi and also always reassures him so that he doesn't overthink too much resonates with me sooooo much and I am just automatically in love with this anime and in love with the characters <3
Apr 10, 2022 4:18 AM

Dec 2018
This was advertised as the cool girlfriend show but guess what, she has like two cool moments inbetween all the blushing, faffing and making noises. So she’s exactly the same as the drivel character this show tries to distinguish itself from as it unique selling point?
Apr 10, 2022 4:27 AM
Apr 2021
why kamiya got more likes than the mc and heroinn
Apr 10, 2022 4:27 AM

May 2015
Nothing special, tbh. She's cute and cool, sure, but I wonder if there's anything else in this anime worth watching for.
Apr 10, 2022 4:53 AM
Dec 2017
I like Shikomori, but I don't really like the MC and the plot. Don't know, maybe later episodes will change my mind. I'm just uninterested if every episodes Shikomori always saving his bf with dumbass things.
Apr 10, 2022 5:05 AM
May 2019
Absolutely loved the hell out of this. This will likely be my favorite of the season tied with Date A Live 4. 10/10 so far.
Apr 10, 2022 5:16 AM

Jul 2015
I dropped the manga waaay back cuz of how repetitive it got even so early in the manga..

But I'm willing to give the anime a chance.. The candy artstyle with eyes so weird yet appealing are pretty calming to look at..

The characters are of course bland but I hope to god this SOL will turn to some sci fi crap cuz Shikimori is sus.. especially with pink hair color.. amogus
Apr 10, 2022 5:41 AM

Nov 2021
With how hyped this series is the 1st episode turned out quite bland and disappointing imo. I hope it's just a weak first impression and it'll get better later on
Apr 10, 2022 5:52 AM
Dec 2021
Fantastic episode! I love shikimori so much!
Apr 10, 2022 5:56 AM
Aug 2020
pretty cool episode, I read the manga and I love the relationship between the two protagonist, the only thing I could really notice that bothered me is the lack of "punch", I don't know why but the anime just feels slow, the reactions and the talking pace is probably why But espacially the scenes where shikimori is supposed to be "cool", there's absolutely zero punch to it even if she's litteraly kicking a giant sign out of existence, and I think that's unfortunate. Looking forward to the next episodes tho.
Apr 10, 2022 5:56 AM
Aug 2020
pretty cool episode, I read the manga and I love the relationship between the two protagonist, the only thing I could really notice that bothered me is the lack of "punch", I don't know why but the anime just feels slow, the reactions and the talking pace is probably why But espacially the scenes where shikimori is supposed to be "cool", there's absolutely zero punch to it even if she's litteraly kicking a giant sign out of existence, and I think that's unfortunate. Looking forward to the next episodes tho.
Apr 10, 2022 6:05 AM
Mar 2022
It really is chilling me out. The chars and the story are pretty wholesome. At this time, i'm just waiting for next eps, because i just want to see the two of them spending time together
Apr 10, 2022 6:17 AM

Jul 2021
Best girl of this season is here and she's just SO FREAKING CUTE. If someone asks me now, "Marin or Shikimori", then I'm gonna have a hard time answering that.

The animation is top-notch. The OP is a fucking banger, the ED is really good too, I loved how the visuals are like a game in which Shikimori is protecting Yuu from various objects.

The concept is new and pretty good, Yuu is a really unlucky person and he has a gf who protects him from all the unfortune that may befall him. I mean they literally made an anime out of every otaku's dream. Shikimori is the perfect gf most otaku's dream of lmao.

Man I just love how Shikimori changes according to situation, she can be the cute-innoccent gf and then the cool gf too who can be a hero(ine) to protect her bf, perfect gf 10/10.

I love how we got the pout-Shikimori and blushing-Shikimori in the first episode itself, really what an episode.

5/5 episode man, can't wait to watch next episode. I'm already gonna rate this 10/10. Shikimori best girl of the season confirmed.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Apr 10, 2022 6:44 AM
Sep 2021
Great 👍 start to the series loved 😍 the pair especially shikimori, let's see how the future shapes for this pair. I give the 1st episode 6/10.
Apr 10, 2022 6:50 AM
Sep 2021
As expected of this anime, it really gives a great first episode!

Even though I already have read the half of its manga, the anime adaptation was still great! It's opening is also great, the animations are good too! I'm happy to see it was released on time though the anime productions has its problem but still it's still good! I'm really really looking forward to the next episode!
Apr 10, 2022 6:58 AM

Mar 2022
I came here after watching 1st episode. No manga experience, so I'm like, fresh on the Shikimori train.

And after hearing Shikimori will dethrone Marin(I love that show. I have my reasons and no, it's not ecchi, she could wear burka for all I care) all over the YT and other best-waifu 2022 discussions, I was kind of... dissapointed.

It's just... I don't really buy the gimmick of thew show. I don't mind meek and timid male MC (as long as he has a brainpower of a functional member of society). But my boy here must have missed a plane school trip someday and then not wondered why he's alone in class next week, because he definitely has some "Final Destination" vibe about him. He would be literaly killed 2 times in a single day of 1st episode, were it not for his GF. How, under these conditions, he reached high school alive is a mystery of the show for me. It's so... supernatural and the show plays it so straight I just can't.

It' would be fine if they embraced it and made some reverse Binbougami ga with gods and luck or a curse and stuff. Or, tone it a bit down and made it believabe and gave him a reason he's like that (Shiina from Pet no Kanojo comes to mind, timid, imposible to survive in a real world, but with a good reason). Anyhow, this in medias res doesn't really work for me and I will need answers soon.

Now, as it stands, Shikimori is just a cool action girl saving a random oblivious final destination dude from death and/or harm because reasons. I have no idea who these people are and what keeps them ticking and the gimmick is so hard for me to swallow that I just can't suspend my disbelief. She is not a real person, just a mcguffin to counteract said gimmick. The "I want someone cute to literaly help me suvive anything in life" personified and nothing else, and that's so far... too little for me.

I may fully change my oppinion after a few episodes, but here we are after the 1st.
Apr 10, 2022 6:58 AM
Jul 2019
Loving how wholesome it is. It's almost like a reincarnation of Tonikawa
Apr 10, 2022 7:05 AM

Nov 2014
The concept of an unexpectedly "boyfriend"-like girlfriend is interesting, but I'm not completely won over by the first episode to be honest. It already started feeling repetitive by the end of the episode.

Hopefully we get less of the "misfortune" moments that don't feel consequential at all, like no one else is even in those scenes or react to what happens most of the time. It'll probably take some time, but hopefully we get more out of Hachimitsu, Neko and Inuzuka as the supporting cast.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Apr 10, 2022 7:33 AM
Feb 2020
basically a super "perfect OP MARY SUE" like literally perfect and OP will fall for the self insert "bland beta good for nothing" mc,nothing special,in fact story like this will ruined by said mc,well lets see if this can pull some twist because this series need one badly to save itself,so far 5/10.

before someone(i bet theres some ppl who already go for it),gojo from dress up darling is actually a type of guy that most girl will love to date,despite not being the "chad alpha",but this mc is straight up bland beta femboi that girl will not even look at him,let alone want to date.
Apr 10, 2022 7:41 AM

Apr 2020
Such a shame that the interesting concept played second fiddle and instead they gave us too much of inconsistent cliche sweet moments.
The idea of a reverse relationship role where the guy is the one who needs protection, and the girl is the one that protects is quite different on its own. Add to that the interesting part where the guy is being followed by misfortune anywhere he goes almost every minute of his life, this could've been one of the most unique Anime of this season.
But instead, they bombarded us with inconsistent relationship cliches with unclear status. They'd be so blatantly open and confident about their feelings, then suddenly they'd be embarrassed by the little things like they're not in a relationship yet. One moment it's the guy playing timid, next it's the girl being a tsundere. This is too much even for RomCom standards.
-+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+-
Apr 10, 2022 8:03 AM

Dec 2016
Awesome start! I dig it! Izumi is very unlucky by nature but he sure is very lucky to have Shikimori by his side ;) Who wouldn't love that?

Badonkers said:
It's weird seeing a chill Bakugou in this anime.

I though I was the only one who found it weird when I saw the hair is too similar to our explosion boy XD

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Apr 10, 2022 8:35 AM

Oct 2008
DOMINATE me Shikimori-san!!! lolz
5/5.

Apr 10, 2022 8:43 AM

Nov 2016
This combination again. Ordinary male lead paired with perfect waifu material.

Gonna stick with it just to see how she fall in love with him. But for this premiere it was kinda average.
Apr 10, 2022 8:56 AM

Dec 2013
I remember a lot of people hyping this show and specially the main girl on Sono Bisque threads, I tried but I just can't like a male MC like him with that self insert style around him and the girl is "too perfect", it was pretty funny to see what Bakugou is up to when BNHA is on break, dude gotta pay the bills somehow. I will give some more episodes a try but probs gonna drop it.
Apr 10, 2022 9:04 AM
Jan 2022
The Animation and OP is awesome , no doubt.
But the story for EP 1 is kinda not too interesting as they are already dating and for other reasons too lol, anyways cheers,Lets hope for the best <3
Apr 10, 2022 9:07 AM

Oct 2015
Straight into things and it is all really pleasant viewing. I thought the OP was really nice as well. Really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Latest Blog: BLARE FEST 2023
Latest Review: Hyouka

Apr 10, 2022 9:23 AM

Mar 2014
Not bad, I think the show is good except that twat Izumi, I'm tired and really annoyed watching that "character". And also his lovely dovey moments with Shikimori is not that cute, more like weird.
RedChromeApr 10, 2022 9:27 AM
Apr 10, 2022 9:29 AM
Jul 2020
I also feel a need to vent a little as I feel I got baited. But my complaint is mostly about art, too much pink and violet, and these colors don't go well together for me. I probably will read manga as it looks better and should be quicker to consume.

MC's look, behavior and voice gives elementary school vibes so I don't expect advanced couple acts, or should I? I know that a lot of authors don't know how to deal with it, so I stopped caring about these things.

FMC, dunno about her, my first comparison was Chitoge from nisekoi, also way stronger than MC.

Apr 10, 2022 9:37 AM

Jul 2017
Really good first episode, looks a nice and relaxing romance.

PS.: My MILF radar is tingling, lets hope to see her more.
Apr 10, 2022 9:53 AM

Mar 2018
TL;DR
I disliked the first episode, but I hope the show is going to get better soon.

Long version:
I saw a lot of people comparing Shikimori to Komi-san or Marin from My dress up darling.
But unlike those two shows, I did NOT enjoy the first episode of Shikimori at all.
And I think there are two main reasons for it:

The first one is the female lead:
Even though Komi and Marin are portrayed as being "perfect girls", they both have a characteristic that makes them immediately interesting to me:
e.g. Komi being too shy to communicate with others, or Marin having a hobby that she doesn't share with others.
The secondary characteristic of Shikimori seems to be that she is "really REALLY cool". And The first episode really goes out of its way to tell the viewer how awesome the female protagonist is. That to me does not make a good first impression for a character.

The Second reason I didn't like the first Episode is because of the male protagonist:
Both Komi-san Can't Communicate and My Dress Up Darling have male leads, that are both likeable and are often portrayed as cool or incredible in their own right, which makes them in a way equal to their female counterpart.
The Protagonist in this show on the other hand seems really bland and boring. To me it seemed like he was being portrayed as inferior to Shikimori, making the Dynamic between the two really one sided.

That being said, the Manga readers are all in unison, saying that the characters are going to get a lot more depth as the story goes on.
So I hope that the next episodes are going to get better.
Apr 10, 2022 10:06 AM

Aug 2015
Pretty boring episode, the waifu is ok, she's cute and cool, but I hate the mc, he's too bland and his only trait is to be unlucky. It seems like the kind of series that get repetitive very soon
Apr 10, 2022 10:20 AM

Apr 2011
I like the aesthetic of the show. Also, Shikimori-san is so cute and cool!

Apr 10, 2022 10:54 AM

Jul 2015
Cuteness was kind of borderline imo, a little bit more and its would be lame but the music, art and stuff was good. also the ED was really cool, someone should make a mobile game for that!
Apr 10, 2022 11:17 AM

Aug 2020
kriissyy12 said:
Why this got so much hype I'll never know. Painfully average first episode.

literally. I'm so sick of seeing this exact show air every season and people being like wowwww this is amazing and original. this is so average it hurts, I'm giving up already, this anime will absolutely not improve in my opinion. at least with all the shitty isekai we get we treat them as they are, shitty and just enjoy it for that
Call me Ren
Apr 10, 2022 11:20 AM

Jun 2014
how do you guys managed to watch this without either feeling embarrassed, angry at the MC, or bored???????
Apr 10, 2022 11:25 AM

Dec 2014
just a cute and chill show, i like
Apr 10, 2022 11:34 AM

Jan 2021
HEDGEHOG10 said:
how do you guys managed to watch this without either feeling embarrassed, angry at the MC, or bored???????

Because I don't find anything wrong with a MC being pasive/timid/whatever people call it.
Apr 10, 2022 11:40 AM
Nov 2016
RayReynolds said:

This isn't a relationship. This isn't a story. These are caricatures, not characters, and not even the fun, neurotic ones like Yamada. The constantly cut to an explosion of sparkly background makes that clear. There doesn't need to be life threatening drama or evil monsters running around, but if you're not going to give anything any depth, even the barest conflict, the slightest tinge of development, growth, maturing, epiphany… you're damning yourself to nothing but superficiality. And there aren't any wacky gags or slapstick as you'd find in these kinds of shows of the long ago. As if the problem with the magic girlfriend shows of yore like DearS or Sekirei was too much story and zaniness.

Completely agree with this. It's like the whole show is to make the ML looks like a bait for the FL to be badass. I mean, I was hoping for a more clever approach in their relationship, considering they're already a couple, except for the last scene, they barely looked like a established one. I expected Shikomori to have more depth, personality, but instead I got an obssesive girl that barely shine when she isn't with the MC and even so it fell flat. I can already see the unlucky gimmick getting old (for me it was enough to drop the show). Not a single character had depth or charisma, it's more of the same. It's a show to glorify the FL and nothing else.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 14, 2022

152 by jairo3634 »»
May 9, 1:19 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2022

107 by ad0rablegoat »»
Apr 19, 4:34 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2022

223 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 31, 3:49 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2022

116 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 1:03 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2022

98 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 11:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.