Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Oct 28, 2018 9:20 AM
Jan 2016
That animation never disappoints, action in this episode was intense, pain in that world looks hard to handle! I am glad to see Kirito fighting with his best! Eogeo did his best too, besides without experience in fighting!

Eogeo asked Kirito to teach him how to use a sword, and finally they cutted the tree, and Eogeo had the chance to choose his next propose, and obviously he would choose to be a swordsman!

Eogeo made a promise with Selka that he would return all three home!

I am glad that they leave the village! Hyped to see more!
Oct 28, 2018 9:24 AM
Sep 2016
HiraKey said:
JudoJD said:
OK no..after 3 decently to well written episodes.. I'm just halfway through the episode and I can't take it.. now Kirito's mastered that sword because reasons...lol...
The whole episode has been so mega poorly written so far (understatement) it makes me wanna rip my eyes out..the pain

Imagine thinking this anime had any chance of being decent this time...back to being trash again sigh
(some people will probably think it's good because of that awful action sequence....sigh SAO...you were so close)

Pure garbage

If you can't understand it, why don't you just drop it ?

The problem is I do understand and it's stupid...so stupid (and come on.. This is freaking SAO)
If you can't understand why someone is saying the episode is so bad why bother replying to them?
It's just such a badly written and poorly directed episode all through. Honest opinion...get over it.
Where were you when I was saying what was good about the show?.. When it's horrible we say it as it is.. I'm no fanboy
After the first 3 decent to probably even good episodes watching the show flip into a dumpster fire so fast was just personally enraging... If you loved the episode all power to you. I wish I could ignore some things as well

If you can't handle an opinion..your problem
..now I'm gonna just have to go into how bad this was when I'm free. Later
JudoJDOct 28, 2018 9:29 AM
1.1.Six
Oct 28, 2018 10:01 AM
Jan 2018
Até acho aceitável cortarem o segundo Goblin que tenta desafiar o Kirito e o Jink que tenta desafiar o Eugeo na festa, porém, cortarem a cena do Velho Garita dando a dica do galho do Giga Cedro foi muito errado. vai fazer falta agora.
Oct 28, 2018 10:13 AM
Jun 2014
I didn't like the episode.

There are 3 major points I didn't like and were what made me despise the previous seasons so much:

1. The overpower. Like, wth? An episode back Kirito could barely hold an axe and strike the tree. Suddenly he speeds up yelling and kills 5 goblins before going for the boss? The boss goblin cuts his arm, Kirito falls off the floor screaming but minutes later the wound seems healed, no blood anymore. AND that mid-air triple somersault when evading the goblin boss, why, just why.

2. Kirito's inner self. I get it is a battle, rythm must be fast, dynamic. But one of the best things of the previous eps were that we finally got to peek inside Kirito's mind, and here Kirito felt plain again. I just felt I was watching the same plain and OP Kirito of always.

3. The overdrama. Some scenes just felt...way too dramatic. They felt off and cringey.

I am a LN reader, however I read the novels many years ago and almost didn't remember anything from it. So I checked the novels again, wondering if it's just that I changed that much that I ended hating scenes that many years ago I loved. Guess what, none of it, not the overpower, nor the overdrama, were in the novel.

Kirito doesn't slay 5 goblins bf going for the boss, doesn't do that imposible somersault, Eugeo doesn't fall off the floor when begging Kirito to teach him, he just stares down and that's sad and chill but no overdrama anywhere.

In fact, I feel in the anime they took out the equilibrium of Eugeo and Kirito too. What I loved in this arc is that both characters are weak and strong, in different and contradictory ways. I just feel they took out Eugeo's baddassness to put it on Kirito (so Eugeo ended having too little and Kirito too much).

I understand they cut scenes (like Eugeo and Jink's duel) since it is an adaptation. I understand they cut Kirito's thoughts and monologues, and another details, since they don't have time to cover everything. But I can't justify them repeating the same mistakes of previous seasons all over again.

I had the hopes really raised since ep 1-3 were so well adapted that this episode felt like a bucket of cold water.
Oct 28, 2018 11:09 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Kurai__Hikari said:
Tokoya said:

yes, Jink is the guy that spoke with Eugeo and Kirito in episode 2. he's the stationary guard of Ruild and he's salty with the fact that Eugeo casually stated that he wants to be a swordsman. According to the laws of the village, he has to complete 10 years of service as a guard before he could leave the village to polish his sword skills and become a full fledged swordsman. So, he was angered with the idea that Eugeo could leave the village to pursue what it supposed to be his own goal. so him and his father (The previous stationary guard) propose that Eugeo proves his mettle in a duel with jink. if he wins he gets to become a swordsman as he wishes, else he would have to wait until jink finishes his 10 year term.

Eugeo's family was not pleased with bis decision to become a swordsman by the way. that would mean that there would be losing a set of hands to help out on the field

the rest of the stuff that they missed out was pretty subtle. the skipped a lot out of the part where kirito realizes that the goblins weren't simple AI but artificial fluctlights just like Eugeo and the other villagers. and the didn't show much of his own suffering of the rather mild injury he suffered in his fight. being the simple highschool boy in reality that he is, he isn't used to pain at all and was down for a long while from the flesh-wound. While Selka was performing the sacred art on Eugeo, kirito's vision faded and he was literally about to die because of the life transfer, that's when the mysterious girl come over and hugs him from behind, telling him what she does, in the episode. then suddenly kirito regains consciousness and carries Eugeo back. he brings the head of Ugachi with him and shows it to the village leader and warns them of the potential threat.

the package that kirito carries on his back at the end of the episode is actually the highest branch on the now felled gigas cedar. the previous generation woodcutter call Eugeo and told him to cut of the tallest branch of the demonic tree that has absorbed the most of the Sun's blessings in a single strike. he then wraps it up and hands it to kirito instructing them to hand it over to a craftsman named Sadre who has his shop in the 7th avenue of northern centoria. he's an old friend of his who would make the branch into a great sword that would not be inferior to the blue rose sword that Eugeo weilds.

This is a fun extra bit but a few village elders wanted to punish Kirito and Eugeo for cutting down the tree 900 years early
Thanks for the info
Oct 28, 2018 11:18 AM

Mar 2017
It's funny how easily they took down that giant ass tree.
Kirito and Eugeo could easily wield that sword after fighting a few goblins only once. So wasn't there a single fucking person in the history who had the equal amount of experience to wield that sword? Making it look so goddamn easy. I feel sorry for those people who worked their butt off century after century and only managed to scratch the tree (Really! it's funny but sad). OP characters as always. That's SAO for you.

And Eugeo stops being a pussy. He grew up a bit as a character. Kirito(-sama) is so kind and noble that he doesn't take any credit for cutting that tree down or at least for making Eugeo able to do so. Eugeo doesn't mention that either (Tryna take all the credit himself. Lame ass dude)
Even though Kirito has his memories from before waking up in that forest, he doesn't think about his girlfriend ASUNA at least once. Have some flashback for at least once. So much for being all lovey-dovey before (Kirito is a jerk).
I'm bitching at this point. Good episode btw. Everyone loves SAO, I love SAO lol.
Oct 28, 2018 12:14 PM
Oct 2012
Minar-kyun said:
It's funny how easily they took down that giant ass tree.
Kirito and Eugeo could easily wield that sword after fighting a few goblins only once. So wasn't there a single fucking person in the history who had the equal amount of experience to wield that sword? Making it look so goddamn easy. I feel sorry for those people who worked their butt off century after century and only managed to scratch the tree (Really! it's funny but sad). OP characters as always. That's SAO for you.

And Eugeo stops being a pussy. He grew up a bit as a character. Kirito(-sama) is so kind and noble that he doesn't take any credit for cutting that tree down or at least for making Eugeo able to do so. Eugeo doesn't mention that either (Tryna take all the credit himself. Lame ass dude)
Even though Kirito has his memories from before waking up in that forest, he doesn't think about his girlfriend ASUNA at least once. Have some flashback for at least once. So much for being all lovey-dovey before (Kirito is a jerk).
I'm bitching at this point. Good episode btw. Everyone loves SAO, I love SAO lol.

as always, like how it was in old seasons as well, in this season too, not everything is in the anime, they can't put everything up in the anime, there is a time limit and they need to put the main points in there.

ofc they could explain some things better, like why Kirito can wield that sword, in novel it was explained much better, having kirito's inner monologues and explanation he came up with plus checking the Status and authority level again. etc

Also, nobody goes in that cave except Knights, the knights already got divine sword and didn't need another, church leader can just make them specialized divine sword if they got the chance anyway.

Also, there is Taboo against killing anything, so how could someone get experience ? they got experience and lvl up on authority to use the sword coz of killing goblins !
( also there was a person in history of that village that could wield the sword, the founder of village in the story shown EP2 or 3, but dragon was guarding the sword at that time plus the tree wasn't even there 300 years ago)

U will understand more once reason of Taboo index creation and church are explained.

and last but not least, Kirito keep on remembering Asuna and mentioning her, several time since he got into underworld until this ep, but they are all cut off from anime.

just as he came in Underworld he was appreciating asuna being there for him and consulting him everytime he got lost at a problem, and how much he miss her and could use her present if she was with him in this world.
there was other scene as well that he remember Asuna and Yui. or apologize to them in his mind.
later on also when he enjoy his life in here a bit he keep on apologizing to his family and asuna in his mind that might be worried about him in RL while he is on his adventure here learning swordsmanship and helping eugeo etc
PedramOct 28, 2018 12:18 PM
Oct 28, 2018 12:39 PM

Mar 2017
Then I guess anime doesn't look as fulfilling cause they left out quite a few scenes. And it's like if you judge the episode while watching it, you can easily come up with plenty shortcomings that it has.
Oct 28, 2018 1:37 PM

Oct 2018
The action scenes were indeed well animated. I was honestly suprised how expressive a lot of these cuts looked like. But as well animated as these scenes were, I felt that they weren't that well directed kinda messy in a way. In that regard, I actually do prefer the action scenes in previous seasons. Another thing that keeps on bothering me is the composite work. I may be harsh in saying this, but these gradient filters just look bad. Combined with the 'darker' (for a lack of a better word) color palette it makes the show look so steril and lifeless.
MaceChanOct 28, 2018 1:41 PM
Oct 28, 2018 1:58 PM

Sep 2017
alphazero4um said:
This episode was pretty cool in terms of action. I was wondering how much time passed when Eugeo was training with Kirito. And that wrapped brown cloth item Kirito was holding, is that what I think it is? Aside from that everything seems to be taking its' time to get the the location where the 'girl' is waiting for them on top Cathedral Tower.

What Kirito was holding, if what you think it was was branch of Gigas Cider, then you're right.
~ May all the beauty be blessed ~
Oct 28, 2018 2:07 PM

Oct 2016
JudoJD said:
KaiserNazrin said:

Imagine not being able to brain. Kirito was able to use the sword, not mastered it at all. By killing the goblin boss, he and Eugeo leveled up. They are far from being a proper swordsman.

You should just drop it and never come back if you can't understand something so simple. :D

Imagine saying Kirito's far from being a proper swordsman after watching him kill a freaking boss...why even bother with progression and reasonable storytelling..it's the SAO anime... It's Kirito-kun

Of course they can't handle the sword...at least they weren't able to handle it so well as to do enough damage to cut down the tree..definitely can't use it...definitely (seriously..all that damage... I love SAO man....you know they won't be doing that type of damage when using it onwards but I digress.. lol)

If you're just going to keep fanboying on me please don't bother wasting your anger on me and replying. Thank you

They are inside a game, and thats probably the starting area, he should be able to beat the lower level monsters at his level, and the tree is probably fodder to high lvl characters within this game so them destroying the tree is probably nothing, you are talking to much crap so early, This Anime didnt do anything wrong yet and you shouldnt trash on it so early because you cannot see simple stuff.
Oct 28, 2018 2:31 PM

Jul 2016
@JudoJD your opinion of show is meaningless bcuz you judge it before finishing. And why why bother watching when you have that mentality of sao is bad written. You just spread your negative comment bcuz its cool. And i know you watch it to nitpicking it. The 1-4 episode is my opinion a good pace to scale how strong is kirito bcuz, goblin is the weak race in underworld. The leader put a fight to kirito and almost lost, so just drop the show.
chriskor022Oct 28, 2018 2:47 PM

Oct 28, 2018 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
angyw said:
I didn't like the episode.

There are 3 major points I didn't like and were what made me despise the previous seasons so much:

1. The overpower. Like, wth? An episode back Kirito could barely hold an axe and strike the tree. Suddenly he speeds up yelling and kills 5 goblins before going for the boss? The boss goblin cuts his arm, Kirito falls off the floor screaming but minutes later the wound seems healed, no blood anymore. AND that mid-air triple somersault when evading the goblin boss, why, just why.

2. Kirito's inner self. I get it is a battle, rythm must be fast, dynamic. But one of the best things of the previous eps were that we finally got to peek inside Kirito's mind, and here Kirito felt plain again. I just felt I was watching the same plain and OP Kirito of always.

3. The overdrama. Some scenes just felt...way too dramatic. They felt off and cringey.

I am a LN reader, however I read the novels many years ago and almost didn't remember anything from it. So I checked the novels again, wondering if it's just that I changed that much that I ended hating scenes that many years ago I loved. Guess what, none of it, not the overpower, nor the overdrama, were in the novel.

Kirito doesn't slay 5 goblins bf going for the boss, doesn't do that imposible somersault, Eugeo doesn't fall off the floor when begging Kirito to teach him, he just stares down and that's sad and chill but no overdrama anywhere.

In fact, I feel in the anime they took out the equilibrium of Eugeo and Kirito too. What I loved in this arc is that both characters are weak and strong, in different and contradictory ways. I just feel they took out Eugeo's baddassness to put it on Kirito (so Eugeo ended having too little and Kirito too much).

I understand they cut scenes (like Eugeo and Jink's duel) since it is an adaptation. I understand they cut Kirito's thoughts and monologues, and another details, since they don't have time to cover everything. But I can't justify them repeating the same mistakes of previous seasons all over again.

I had the hopes really raised since ep 1-3 were so well adapted that this episode felt like a bucket of cold water.

I don't believe they're trying to make Eugeo look bad to make Kirito look like the badass because if that was the case they wouldn't have changed the scene where Kirito accidentally tripped over the blue rose and pierced the tree to both of them testing the sword but giving Eugeo the cool animation instead.
Oct 28, 2018 3:19 PM

Jan 2013
Epic episode! The soundtrack was amazing.

Finally they cut the tree, that was the most important thing xD
I wonder if that blond girl that appeared to Kirito was really Alice.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Oct 28, 2018 3:56 PM
Jan 2016
kinda amazed how fluid and weighty Kirto sword was the animation where he fought goblins was really well done. However major problem when Eugeo gets badly hurt and most likely dying but Selka is in the middle of a conversation instead of helping Eugeo as a form of CPR. I rather she sees Eugeo runs to him do a little magic CPR then tells Kirito more in a rushed way giving some indiciation of the risk but not actually explaining it take his hand then stuff happens and if u want u can explain " that was a ....". This is honestly where adapting the LN too much really hurts the believability of they actions having a 30second conversation instead of running and helping straight away as she's a nun i assume.
Oct 28, 2018 4:05 PM

Apr 2015
This episode was quite amazing! The animation quality in the fight scenes were off the charts!
Oct 28, 2018 4:41 PM

Sep 2018
JudoJD said:
HiraKey said:

If you can't understand it, why don't you just drop it ?

The problem is I do understand and it's stupid...so stupid (and come on.. This is freaking SAO)
If you can't understand why someone is saying the episode is so bad why bother replying to them?
It's just such a badly written and poorly directed episode all through. Honest opinion...get over it.
Where were you when I was saying what was good about the show?.. When it's horrible we say it as it is.. I'm no fanboy
After the first 3 decent to probably even good episodes watching the show flip into a dumpster fire so fast was just personally enraging... If you loved the episode all power to you. I wish I could ignore some things as well

They are right tho. You didnt understand why its possible.

Kirito didnt ''master'' the sword. Previously his [Object Control Authority] which is similar to a strength stat or level, wasn't high enough so he couldnt wield the sword.

After gaining experience fighting the goblins his [Object Control Authority] went up, as killing people in the underworld gives a lot of experience. So he can now use the sword without being burdened by it.

No offense, but dont blame your poor understanding of a show on its quality of writing.

The worldbuilding is much better in this season of SAO, but they did leave a few things out. But its by no means ''thrash'' or anything close to that.
“Ha ha, the synergy between my left and right hand made them feel scared.” Ye Xiu said.
Oct 28, 2018 5:04 PM

Jul 2016
One question, are all goblins in the cave Artificial Fluctlight, or is it just the leader?

If it's the former, why Kirito shown resolution to take down a human life to some extent since he had already cutting goblins minions left and right...
Oct 28, 2018 5:10 PM
Aug 2018
Elinchayiel said:
JudoJD said:

They are right tho. You didnt understand why its possible.

Kirito didnt ''master'' the sword. Previously his [Object Control Authority] which is similar to a strength stat or level, wasn't high enough so he couldnt wield the sword.

After gaining experience fighting the goblins his [Object Control Authority] went up, as killing people in the underworld gives a lot of experience. So he can now use the sword without being burdened by it.

No offense, but dont blame your poor understanding of a show on its quality of writing.

The worldbuilding is much better in this season of SAO, but they did leave a few things out. But its by no means ''thrash'' or anything close to that.

Don't bother explaining to him, you won't be able to, as lifeless guys like him have all time they need in the world to sit behind his computer that his parents bought him to sprout nonsense 24/7 on the internet.
He needs to bend his frustration and anger towards something and irnoically that something is SAO, with it's huge amount of success and fanbase. It's the best Target for weebs like him.
Remember how there are haters of Ronaldo and Messi. He is just one of those kind of people.
**Hey hating on popular and successful people/things makes us popular and gives our life a meaning**
Oct 28, 2018 5:11 PM
Aug 2018
NitroKageAki said:
One question, are all goblins in the cave Artificial Fluctlight, or is it just the leader?

If it's the former, why Kirito shown resolution to take down a human life to some extent since he had already cutting goblins minions left and right...
that's just copies of the souls of humans.
And even then what other choice did kirito have, it's either kill or be killed as they needed to save selka at all cost and couldn't afford to run away.
Oct 28, 2018 5:20 PM

Jul 2016
immortaluchiha said:
NitroKageAki said:

And even then what other choice did kirito have, it's either kill or be killed as they needed to save selka at all cost and couldn't afford to run away.

No, just curious why Kirito said so in that exact moment. Since I heard the anime cut a lot of monologue, is there any important details cut that I should know from this episode?
Oct 28, 2018 5:22 PM
Aug 2018
Wow what an awesome episode and that fight scene was just wonderful 10/10.
The new version of sword land just hit the feels.
I hope they fix few things in BD release like kirito's blood disappearing few seconds after he got slashed on his shoulder.

And I wonder how the world was created, kirito was able to use all those sword skills from sword art onlone game.
Really interesting, maybe the skills in the Underworld are somehow related to sword art online or cardinal system.
Well we will get answer to all of that, that's exactly why it's a 4 cour show after all.
Oct 28, 2018 5:23 PM
Aug 2018
NitroKageAki said:
immortaluchiha said:

No, just curious why Kirito said so in that exact moment. Since I heard the anime cut a lot of monologue, is there any important details cut that I should know from this episode?

@pedram this guy can answer your question
I also didn't read the Alicization arc.
Oct 28, 2018 5:25 PM
Aug 2018
NitroKageAki said:
immortaluchiha said:

oh about that we still don't know exactly what they are(well at least in the anime)
It's just kirito's opinions, he thinks that all those goblins also might be artificial fluclights.
Oct 28, 2018 5:47 PM
Oct 2012
NitroKageAki said:
immortaluchiha said:

Well they are all fluctlight so basically they are all human, their only difference with other AI like Eugeo is that the "humans" of Dark Territory, whatever they look like goblin or orc or etc don't have the Taboo index and only got 1 rule, "obey the stronger".

as for why Kirito first kill some minion then think about if he should kill them or not ... lol well that's anime's problem i guess.
In the novel, Kirito don't do the cool movement thingy killing goblin minions, he shot the fire into the water river and go straight for the leader,

the weaker goblins are hold off by Eugeo's light, then Kirito see the goblins reactions and stuff and realize they are too "human" like to be mob and suspect they are Artificial Fluctlight so he don't really wanna kill them, but think about what the Goblin Leader said about "selling the girl" and him being responsible for making Selka come here, decide it's no time to hesitant and go for the kill.

Sadly for him, after initial cutting off the Leader arm, he forgot it's not a game and the boss will not have any time penalty after getting hit, so he had a few sec of sluggishness after using sword skill but the goblin leader instantly attack back and hit his shoulder,

again it's different here in novel, as Kirito is knocked back toward crystal at same time his shoulder/arm got hit and can't stand back up anymore from the pain. unlike anime which he jump back up like it's nothing :|

then Eugeo come and try to save him, but he swing the Sword like an ax in a obvious same motion, so after few sec the goblin leader learn of his obvious Swing pattern and hit him on the belly, Eugeo shot other side, Kirito still can't even move ! he will not go near Eugeo, but see Eugeo trying to move even tho his wound is bigger than Kirito, Kirito damn himself for being weaker than even eugeo not being able to endure the pain, but after eugeo talk about the promise and stuff, Kirito finally overcome his pain and move again to finish the Goblin Leader.

after Kirito got Goblin Leader's head he don't want to kill more goblin, plus he could not kill them all anyway, so he told them to go back, one of them tried to argue, but Kirito instantly used a sword skill on him, scaring the other goblins and making them all run back.

so basically kirito only killed Leader and 1 goblin later to scare them off.
anime changed the scenes to make them more cool i guess :| I'm not a fan of the change tho.
Oct 28, 2018 5:57 PM

Sep 2018

immortaluchiha said:
NitroKageAki said:

oh about that we still don't know exactly what they are(well at least in the anime)
It's just kirito's opinions, he thinks that all those goblins also might be artificial fluclights.

It's not exactly a spoiler since Kirito already mentioned it, but that's exactly what they are.

Also, a copy of a soul is a soul as well.

Not a super big spoiler since Kirito makes remarks on this himself all the time.
“Ha ha, the synergy between my left and right hand made them feel scared.” Ye Xiu said.
Oct 28, 2018 5:59 PM

Feb 2018
Wow epic battle with goblin...
Oct 28, 2018 6:04 PM
Oct 2012
btw @NitroKageAki @immortaluchiha or even @Tokoya

u guys might wanna check out this Youtube channel :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzs3FmQ5qPfBcZj-xSZDKcw

this guy will do a "What got Cut" video for each EP of SAO, and explain what was removed from each EP with some picture from manga as well.
he also do a weekly EP review but that's not too important, but his "anime vs novel" videos are good for anime-only watchers.

He already covered EP 1 and 2 and 3. for Anime vs Novel and what got cut, but didn't do the new EP4 yet. probably later this week.
Oct 28, 2018 6:15 PM

Jul 2016
Pedram said:

this guy will do a "What got Cut" video for each EP of SAO, and explain what was removed from each EP with some picture from manga as well.
he also do a weekly EP review but that's not too important, but his "anime vs novel" videos are good for anime-only watchers.

He already covered EP 1 and 2 and 3. for Anime vs Novel and what got cut, but didn't do the new EP4 yet. probably later this week.

Nice, thanks for the explanation. Will watch the video later!
Oct 28, 2018 6:22 PM
Oct 2012
NitroKageAki said:
Pedram said:

Nice, thanks for the explanation. Will watch the video later!

no problem! it always help a lot for anime-only viewers to know about the novel stuff, coz imo sometimes some really important story telling and character development parts get cut off for the sake of some action scene or coz of time limit.
this EP4 also had quite a few cut, I already mentioned them before in this topic, but it really can't be helped I guess, it's animation and have it's own limitation. it never can be as well detailed as a novel.
Oct 28, 2018 6:31 PM

May 2018
Wow, amazing episode! This anime is getting better and better :3

5/5
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Oct 28, 2018 6:36 PM
Nov 2017
lovelying episode,, so splendid, the fight was more than I expected, so another 2 episodes of kirito and eugeo still on the way to get Alice
Oct 28, 2018 6:44 PM

Sep 2016
krazycrashy said:
Tiande said:
Something didn't feel right with this episode, I really liked all the previous ones tho..

1. Not enough Kirito talking to himself about the events that happened.
2. Nitpicky but Kirito's deep cut arm got better a few moments later during the fight, blood gone, handicap gone.
3. Kirito's movements during the battle were way over-unrealistic and overpowered, was that "real life movements" or "in-game boosted movements" ?
4. So Kirito remembers about Alice/Eugeo ? To what degree, and why isn't he talking to himself about it.

I like SAO and am looking forward for more, but I might have set my expectations too high today.

you forgot about that sword trow horizontally and it sits perfectly straight just smh xD

The blood did disappear which I found a bit strange I think they may have just made a mistake by not adding the blood because the cut is still there, but no blood as you see when he goes to try picking the sword up.
Oct 28, 2018 8:38 PM

Jun 2013
Classic Kirito, good animation, Eugeo wasn't a complete waste of space, I'd say this episode was improved from the last one.
Oct 28, 2018 8:45 PM
Aug 2018
Pedram said:

Lol I am already watching his videos
Oct 28, 2018 10:10 PM

Apr 2015
Was a bit bummed by them cutting an important scene for Eugeo and the one where Kirito received the material for his next sword but all in all, it went pretty well so far as an adaptation, the pacing feels nice so far.

But oh boy, I might have to rewatch that fight scene with the Goblins cuz everything went off everywhere in a big Sakuga explosion ! Directing was a bit hazy but it's certainly was a hell dynamic by overcomplexing Kirito's movements in comparaison to the LN. Now, where can I listen to that remix of Swordland ?

BTW, I'm not surprised at seeing so many people trying to nitpick details just because you know, SAO got to keep a reputation at being "bad". The worse is that pretty much every one of them was explained in the books or are to be showned later on. (Impatience pretty much).
Also, some people should really stop watching it if they're distate (without anything to back it up) backs them up from enjoying the show, it's simple.
Oct 28, 2018 11:06 PM

Aug 2016
I did not expect to see an animation like it was fate zero, this season of SAO is going to be the best of all :D
Oct 28, 2018 11:07 PM

Nov 2017
- So this game was far advance than SAO or ALO or GGO or something else.
- i was right that they would need better or bigger weapon to cut that damn tree.
- does that girl that wispering kirito was alice or naked girl that shown in the last minute on episode 3?
- i swear.. that i doesnt understand with this arc... but who cares? i came for the anime just for entertaiment.
Now Loading.....
Oct 29, 2018 12:24 AM
Aug 2018
This episode might have good pacing or good animation and I will give them that, but that doesn't stray away from horrible logic of it. My first problem is how Kirito is able to pull out those "skills" after picking up a sword. He might try some moves from Aincrad or Alfheim but that doesn't mean this world will have the same. If they talked about the "skills" in the LN than fine, because I haven't read it, though they still need to show it for it to make sense. My second problem is aren't Eugeo and Selka only knows that Alice is supposed to be dead and not at the capital? Kirito never mention about the Alice being at the capital or say that she is not dead. Back to the fight scene, why did the goblins where afraid of the light being admitted by the grass? How did Eugeo no get cut in HALF by that swing of the big Goblin, and don't you dare say that body part can't be cut. We saw Kirito cut the big goblin's head off! Another problem is how did nobody try to cut the tree before hand? And how did Kirito gained so much level that he is able to life the sword just after the a GOBLINS fight, they are portrayed as a beginner mobs ffs. How did he was able use the sword only just being brought there and spend some times fighting goblins then to a hero that was mentioned in episode 1 that wasn't even able to life up the sword. Kirito could not be this powerful right from the get go with less experience in game than that hero did. Also, training someone with the sword doesn't mean that they will be able to use the sword with more power in an MMO-RPG. To do that, we call it something named "grinding." Also, why don't Eugeo use an axe and give the sword to Kirito? If we going by the logic than Eugeo is more proficient in the axe because he spend his teenage years using the damn thing.
Oct 29, 2018 1:53 AM

Jun 2017
Tommy_Duong said:
This episode might have good pacing or good animation and I will give them that, but that doesn't stray away from horrible logic of it. My first problem is how Kirito is able to pull out those "skills" after picking up a sword. He might try some moves from Aincrad or Alfheim but that doesn't mean this world will have the same. If they talked about the "skills" in the LN than fine, because I haven't read it, though they still need to show it for it to make sense. My second problem is aren't Eugeo and Selka only knows that Alice is supposed to be dead and not at the capital? Kirito never mention about the Alice being at the capital or say that she is not dead. Back to the fight scene, why did the goblins where afraid of the light being admitted by the grass? How did Eugeo no get cut in HALF by that swing of the big Goblin, and don't you dare say that body part can't be cut. We saw Kirito cut the big goblin's head off! Another problem is how did nobody try to cut the tree before hand? And how did Kirito gained so much level that he is able to life the sword just after the a GOBLINS fight, they are portrayed as a beginner mobs ffs. How did he was able use the sword only just being brought there and spend some times fighting goblins then to a hero that was mentioned in episode 1 that wasn't even able to life up the sword. Kirito could not be this powerful right from the get go with less experience in game than that hero did. Also, training someone with the sword doesn't mean that they will be able to use the sword with more power in an MMO-RPG. To do that, we call it something named "grinding." Also, why don't Eugeo use an axe and give the sword to Kirito? If we going by the logic than Eugeo is more proficient in the axe because he spend his teenage years using the damn thing.

-The "Sword Skills" of original SAO exist in underworld as Kirito noticed it in 2nd episode. You will know the reason later.
-The sword skills work in this fashion: when a person gets into the initiating stance for a sword skill, the system itself completes the skill making the weilder's body move on its own.
-sword skills are not exclusive to Kirito. Anyone in underworld who is trained in the stances can use them.
-A sword skill can be of a single hit or multiple hits. Multi hit skills require a higher priority sword to perform
-Eugeo states that he believes Alice is still alive somewhere in the capital.
- The light is "Luminous Element" which has holy attribute to it.
- Eugeo was slashed at the abdomen, but not thrown far away in LN. They wrongly animated it.
- the hero from 1st episode couldn't lift Blue Rose Sword, but kirito used an ordinary sword.
- Kirito, Eugeo and Selka all three were considered as a party and were granted an increase in authority
- While part of the reason for them becoming stronger was killing the goblin, the main reason is "they were able to complete a high ranking quest of driving the goblin army back to dark territory"
Hope this helps.
Oct 29, 2018 3:11 AM

Feb 2017
some dialogue scene is so awkward, even more awkward then fairy tail xD. nonetheless, everything seems great

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Oct 29, 2018 3:21 AM

May 2016
Gotta be the best episode so far loved the animation it was truly breathtaking.

The tree is down so fast! Well thanks to that sword I guess.
Oct 29, 2018 3:38 AM
Oct 2012
I'm surprised ppl keep asking why Aincrad's Sword Skill work here.
Considering they can see both the Guy ! and the big ass Computer from the Movie Ordinal Scale, right in the damn opening :D it's the same guy that had a version of Sword Art Online and changed them a bit and used them in Ordinal Scale. and its exactly the same computer as in the movie that had those data stored in it.

at end of the movie, Rath invited that guy to join them.

but anyway,
Oct 29, 2018 3:41 AM
Oct 2012
Tommy_Duong said:

was the hero from EP1 not able to lift the weapon ? i don't believe neither in LN nor in anime, it's mentioned he could not lift the sword ! he actually lifted it but the dragon woke up and he did not carry the sword off because of that. plus we know about it more later.
anyway, all the problems u mentioned, are ALL COMPLETELY answered later on. just w8 and watch.
tho novel did a better early explanation that anime lacked.
btw Kirito in anime was much more OP in that fight scene than the LN imo. but that's probably what Japanese ppl like.
Oct 29, 2018 3:58 AM

Oct 2017
I have a question after watching the combat of Kirito.

Did he REALLY know how to wield a sword?

Why did he keep using ONE-HAND holding a sword when literally there's no need for doing so cuz he's not holding a shield, nor is he dual wielding?
Wielding a sword properly with 2 hands can more than doubled the strength of his strike.

The combat is cool and all, but it makes me question whether if Kirito really knows how to use a sword or he's just slacking off?
He learns Kendo, he should know better how much difference in terms of strength between single hand welding and two hand wielding. so there's literally no reason for him to single handedly held a sword.

Also why is he closing his eyes when he didn't even know that whether he beats his opponents or not?

This makes me think Kirito is just a big failure in kendo , and that's why he quitted kendo.

Ventus_SOct 29, 2018 4:03 AM
Oct 29, 2018 4:13 AM
Sep 2018
Ventus_S said:

Why does he keep using ONE-HAND holding a sword when literally there's no need for doing so cuz he's not holding a shield, nor is he dual wielding?
Wielding a sword properly with 2 hands can more than doubled the strength of his strike.

The combat is cool and all, but it makes me question whether if Kirito really knows how to use a sword or he's just slacking off?
He learns Kanto, he should know better how much difference in terms of strength compare to single hand wielding and two hand wielding. so there's literally no reason for him to single handedly held a sword.

Also why is he closing his eyes when he didn't even know that whether he beats his opponents or not?

This makes me think Kirito is just a big failure in kanto , and that's why he quitted kanto.

I'm not criticising you but the reason why he used one-hand for a one-handed sword is because it is a one-handed sword and a weapon meant for quick strikes and counters which is the way Kirito is known for.

Also dude straight up amputated that goblin he was probably expecting it to give up no one thought he was going heal himself like a shounen protagonist.

PS I reserve the right to say I hate the SAO franchise
Oct 29, 2018 4:20 AM

Jun 2017
Ventus_S said:

Why did he keep using ONE-HAND holding a sword when literally there's no need for doing so cuz he's not holding a shield, nor is he dual wielding?

He learns Kendo, he should know better how much difference in terms of strength between single hand welding and two hand wielding. so there's literally no reason for him to single handedly held a sword.

This makes me think Kirito is just a big failure in kendo , and that's why he quitted kendo.

It is a game/simulation. So he can't use "one handed sword skills" while holding it with both hands. Also the sword he uses is a one handed sword. So he can't initiate "two handed sword skills" with it. Since the system assists the user while performing a sword skill, both power behind the strike and speed drastically increases. He needed that boost to overcome the brute strength of the goblin leader.
As for your 2nd question, well that is animated that way just to make it look cool.
Oct 29, 2018 4:23 AM

Aug 2013
Ventus_S said:

Those are the skills from his Aincrad time. Also, Sword Skills require specific stances to pull off, that's why he fight with one hand a lot. But you do see moments where he uses both hands, when they clash swords for example. Virtual combat is different from real life, kendo knowledge should not be relevant here, since it's an entirely different thing.

And Kirito quitted kendo because he found out that he was an adopted child, he purposely distanced himself from his family because of that.
Oct 29, 2018 4:23 AM
Oct 2012
@Ventus_S

Okay let me explain what i remember from the novel.
First of all, Kirito got a 1 Hand sword, so he can't activate a 2 hand Sword Skill using it, he must use a 1 Hand sword skill, and using Sword Skill is the only reason he won, his own Strength whatever it was holding a sword with 1 hand or 2, would not be able to kill the goblin leader.

and now the more important part about why he close his eye.
it's coz he is still thinking this is a game ! sadly for him, he learnt that it's not just a simple game the hard way !

so in the novel, it was mentioned that he did the hit to the boss, then as his usual habit, he stay for a few sec before moving again.
the reason is he was never in an actual sword fight in real, he always did it in game, when u are in a game, after he did a Sword Skill, u have to w8 a few sec before u can move ! and the boss as well, coz the boss got a direct hit and had his arm cut off, he will have some time penalty !

so kirito was like chilling for a few sec and acting sluggish like in a game, but this is not a game and the boss instantly attack back and cut his arm lol then he froze from intense pain and shock/fear until seeing Eugeo still struggle to get up after getting hit and talk to him about the Promise, then he overcome his fear and pain and fight back.
Oct 29, 2018 6:53 AM

May 2010
I totally forgot how awesome action scenes in SAO looked, slaying the goblins was so fun to watch! Also, it was way more bloody from what I've expected, cool.
That face kinda killed me though:

It seems that Eugeo kinda remembers Kirito from their "childhood"? In that case I wonder why everyone forgot about him in the first place, huh...
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Anyone else lowkey prefer Alice to Asuna?

Marinate1016 - Jun 25, 2019

47 by Marinate1016 »»
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

190 by fssf1606 »»
Feb 12, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.