Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jan 16, 2016 10:37 AM
Oct 2011
Bibimbapski said:
Gin-san cares a lot more for Shoyo's students than Takasugi realizes. I believe Gintoki loved Shoyo more than Takasugi did and beheading him was the most difficult thing he has ever done.

Apparently, Gin-san knows something about Shoyo that Takasugi doesn't and wanted to protect him, maybe beheading him was the choice that he knew even Shoyo would only approve of. If Gin-san killed Katsura and Takasugi, Shoyo would have never forgiven him. Shoyo gladly died for his students but Takasugi is too selfish to realize that, one more reason to hate him. It's so hard to feel sorry for him and Kamui. I like Kamui as a character, he's one of my faves but I have a hard time feeling sorry for him too.
lol Kamui is one of my faves as well and yet you say that you can't feel sorry for him just because his story hasn't been told yet. And I really HATE waiting so long for it. Stupid Sorachi.
Jan 16, 2016 12:20 PM
Jun 2014
I just can't get into this arc. It tries to be awesome, but it's really not. all these episodes and now every person from his past just swoops in and makes an entrance, acting like no time as passed. And of course Gintama's biggest rival in the entire universe is a childhood rival. Unoriginal shit which is pretty damn close minded given the nature of the world/universe of Gintama.
Jan 16, 2016 10:44 PM

Jul 2014
My eyes are still as wide open as they can get since the beginning of the episode. Was trying to prolong watching this one but couldnt take it anymore.

I thought the foreshadowing had made it clear what happened but that was a lot more intense than i had expected it to be.
Jan 16, 2016 10:47 PM

Jul 2014
Warrior3 said:
Bibimbapski said:
Gin-san cares a lot more for Shoyo's students than Takasugi realizes. I believe Gintoki loved Shoyo more than Takasugi did and beheading him was the most difficult thing he has ever done.

Apparently, Gin-san knows something about Shoyo that Takasugi doesn't and wanted to protect him, maybe beheading him was the choice that he knew even Shoyo would only approve of. If Gin-san killed Katsura and Takasugi, Shoyo would have never forgiven him. Shoyo gladly died for his students but Takasugi is too selfish to realize that, one more reason to hate him. It's so hard to feel sorry for him and Kamui. I like Kamui as a character, he's one of my faves but I have a hard time feeling sorry for him too.
lol Kamui is one of my faves as well and yet you say that you can't feel sorry for him just because his story hasn't been told yet. And I really HATE waiting so long for it. Stupid Sorachi.

Don't think Kamui has too much of a story. With most of the characters its always been clear they had a reason to do what they were doing, and its the same with Kamui. It's not due to some sad past or anything (at most abandonment issues), but rather just that he believes in pure Yato philosophy, which is why he is the way he is.
Jan 17, 2016 6:48 AM
Oct 2011
FirstEel said:
Warrior3 said:

Don't think Kamui has too much of a story. With most of the characters its always been clear they had a reason to do what they were doing, and its the same with Kamui. It's not due to some sad past or anything (at most abandonment issues), but rather just that he believes in pure Yato philosophy, which is why he is the way he is.
It's hard to say the truth especially when you know nothing about what might have driven Kamui to be a 'true Yato' now, and he didn't use to be like this before and that's a fact.
Jan 18, 2016 2:45 AM
Jun 2014
Stormen said:
I just can't get into this arc. It tries to be awesome, but it's really not. all these episodes and now every person from his past just swoops in and makes an entrance, acting like no time as passed. And of course Gintama's biggest rival in the entire universe is a childhood rival. Unoriginal shit which is pretty damn close minded given the nature of the world/universe of Gintama.

Everything single thing about the whole Plot of this arc has been setup throughout the whole series, if you haven't watched all the previous arcs then yes it's random.
Jan 18, 2016 3:58 AM
Jun 2014
If by setup you mean, keeping his old pals part of the show and not revealing Gin's past before now then i agree. But that doesn't change the fact that it feels really weird in Gintama when a bunch of people connected to one thing in the past just coincidentally strolls back into the show. This is certainly not the first arc where i've thought that.
Jan 18, 2016 5:45 AM
Sep 2015
Stormen said:
If by setup you mean, keeping his old pals part of the show and not revealing Gin's past before now then i agree. But that doesn't change the fact that it feels really weird in Gintama when a bunch of people connected to one thing in the past just coincidentally strolls back into the show. This is certainly not the first arc where i've thought that.

Arc name: Shogun Assasination
Groups that are involved:
Kiheitai - Leader Takasugi wants to destroy government with his group since they are introduced
Yato - Joined the Kiheitai to support them in the course of the series
Hitotsubashi - Wants to rule the country, so helps out Takasugi for it's own benefits
Mimiwaragumi - Part of the Hitotsubashi; don't know if they will make a move
Shogunate - Mainly Shigeshige is the target
Oniwaban - Secret elite bodyguards of the shogun
The ninja village - Hometown of the oniwaban
Shinsengumi - Police of the government
Yorozuya - Got asked for help from the leader of Shinsengumi and Oniwaban
Yatagarasu - Have interest in the politics of edo, because they are the soldiers of the "true" rulers Tendoshu (courtesan of the nation arc)
Katsuras Group - Not involved, makes no sense cause they aren't interested in killing or saving the shogun and cannot be really asked for help from any faction besides yorozuya, but Gin doesn't like to ask for help

I wouldn't call it really "coincidentally" that all the people that showed up are there.
Jan 18, 2016 10:24 AM

Oct 2010
Stormen said:

I haven't been exactly the biggest fan of the arc so far, but dismissing Takasugi's current antagonism against Gintoki as "a childhood rival" thing is so much of an understatement that I don't know where to start. It makes zero sense as a complaint, unless you specifically believe that being childhood rivals had some effect on the reason why they started hating each other, which turns out to be, as explained by this episode, false.
Jan 18, 2016 11:54 AM
Jun 2014
jal90 said:
Stormen said:

I haven't been exactly the biggest fan of the arc so far, but dismissing Takasugi's current antagonism against Gintoki as "a childhood rival" thing is so much of an understatement that I don't know where to start. It makes zero sense as a complaint, unless you specifically believe that being childhood rivals had some effect on the reason why they started hating each other, which turns out to be, as explained by this episode, false.

Nono. I only meant it as apparently the only one who can beat Gin in a fight.
Jan 18, 2016 12:50 PM
Jun 2014
Stormen said:
jal90 said:

Nono. I only meant it as apparently the only one who can beat Gin in a fight.

Oboro? Jirocho? Hosen if he didn't have help?

Jan 19, 2016 2:39 PM
Aug 2014
Sorachi, the voice actors, animators and staff all deserve a round of applause!

This whole scenario is so unexpected and original, plus adapted to such perfection that it makes this anime totally worth loving TT.TT

btw Gintoki's crying face broke my heart...
Jan 20, 2016 12:28 AM

Jun 2015
Guys, so I saw a spoiler at 9gag. I saw takasugi like dying or something, and then flashback when he saw gintoki face before he lost his left eye. Is gintama over already?
Jan 20, 2016 12:41 AM

Sep 2011
Puris said:
Guys, so I saw a spoiler at 9gag. I saw takasugi like dying or something, and then flashback when he saw gintoki face before he lost his left eye. Is gintama over already?
You really shouldn't be asking that question if you haven't even seen the episode...
Jan 20, 2016 2:30 AM

Jun 2015
Tyrel said:
Puris said:
You really shouldn't be asking that question if you haven't even seen the episode...
sorry, I'm just curious cause someone say it's over. I just want to confirm its a troll or not.
Jan 20, 2016 2:36 AM

Sep 2011
Puris said:
Tyrel said:
sorry, I'm just curious cause someone say it's over. I just want to confirm its a troll or not.
It's a troll. Gintama is not over lol. Some of those scenes are 'somewhat' true, but they're not 'dying'.
Jan 20, 2016 6:40 AM

Jan 2014
I noticed that studio forgot add Gintoki sad face in the present. Middle panel

Jan 20, 2016 6:50 AM

Mar 2014
Taito10 said:
I noticed that studio forgot add Gintoki sad face in the present. Middle panel

They substituted that panel for this, so the beheading could flow better.
Jan 21, 2016 6:09 AM

Sep 2013
that smile.. gintoki,. </3
Jan 22, 2016 11:26 PM

Jul 2009
Man what an episode!!!! Amazing fight between Gintoki and Takasugi. I also love how they explained well why Takasugi wanted to destroy everything in the world.

The death of Shoyo really greatly affected everyone. Tbh Shoyo could have killed everyone there with how strong he is. But i wonder why he had to sacrifice himself to save them?!?!

Can't wait for the next episode!!
Jan 24, 2016 12:57 AM

Dec 2015
MariaCadenzavna said:
Man what an episode!!!! Amazing fight between Gintoki and Takasugi. I also love how they explained well why Takasugi wanted to destroy everything in the world.

The death of Shoyo really greatly affected everyone. Tbh Shoyo could have killed everyone there with how strong he is. But i wonder why he had to sacrifice himself to save them?!?!

Can't wait for the next episode!!

exactly! I was so damn piss about Shoyo let Gintoki burden it while he doing nothing, there're better be some really good explaination about this
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Jan 27, 2016 2:23 PM

Mar 2015
whos the alien guy that pulls the string at the shoyo scene? we've seen him before but i don't think we got this name right? Anyway i think he will be the main antagonist
Feb 4, 2016 9:15 PM

Jul 2011
Sometimes Gintama tries too hard to be poetic or dramatic.

But not this time. It wasn't caught up in words or tried to force emotions down your throat. When your heart hurts you know it's one of Gintama's best arcs.

(As cliche as it is, something about two good friends seriously duking it out is very raw, unhindered sentiment. Body parts and weapons keep breaking, but each and every breath is used to attack again and again relentlessly.)
MirorinFeb 4, 2016 9:33 PM
Feb 29, 2016 10:56 PM

Oct 2009
Fucking Oboro! >:(!

Amazing yet again! At this point I guess we only have to see Gintoki's past before meeting Shoyo-sensei?
Mar 11, 2016 7:46 PM
Jan 2016
Love the OP! Thank Does you always does it good!... Sorry...

Anyway crazy episode gotta go see the next one... NOW so see ya :-)
Stress makes you bald, but it’s stressful to avoid stress, so you end up stressed out anyway,
so in the end there’s nothing you can do.
(Gintama)
Mar 20, 2016 3:39 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Damn...so that's how Shoyo died. =(

Rough past for all three of his students.
Apr 18, 2016 12:00 AM

Mar 2012
I completely forgot about Oboro lol.
Apr 18, 2016 5:56 AM

Jul 2013
Holy fucking shit man.. ever since they've shown Gin-san's past about his teacher and his childhood, it all ends with his teacher being taken away. And I thought that's it. I thought those stupid looking, staff wielding idiots with big hats executed him. But no. They made Gin-san kill his own teacher. That's what really happened. Goddamn. And now those idiots are back. :/

perfection/10
May 16, 2016 2:55 PM
May 2009
KevinRammstein said:
I don't even want to say that here, but I just don't get why this arc is supposed to be that exciting. I have been rather bored the last couple of episodes.
I seem to have outgrown Gintama unfortunately...
I mean everybody loves this, really I don't want to destroy your mood here and I will just believe it is great, but for me...really not.

I just don't care much for it anymore, was similar the whole season. Some comedy stuff was good but it never got me to the same enjoyment level as the very first season, ever.

Really I don't understand it myself! :-(

Super late reply but I just watched the episode now....

I felt exactly like this after watching the last Gintama movie. Everyone seemed to love it but both the comedy and the action were a complete disappointment for me. I didn't enjoy it at all and began questioning whether Gintama was still for me.

When this last season began airing I wasn't that excited for it and I didn't even watch the episodes when they began airing. I finally decided to give it another chance and began watching this season a couple of weeks ago ( hence why I just got to watch this episode now). And I've fallen in love with it again completely. This last arc has been my favorite one far and I feel like a fool for not having watched it before.

tl;dr: Maybe don't give it up yet. I went through something similar but I fell back in love later.
Jun 23, 2016 9:55 AM

May 2012
Very serious and solid episode! Up to the next one.
Aug 7, 2016 10:39 AM

Sep 2014
Holy shit. I'm speechless right now, that was amazing!
Aug 31, 2016 8:05 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
In the ends of fight, appears Oboro!!!! Surprise! Surprise?
Nov 17, 2016 5:37 AM
May 2016
best anime episode i have seen to date

i was spoiled about shoyo's death and still cried because the VA and animation/sound design was superb and the way they removed sound as soon as gintoki beheads shoyo broke my heart
very smart move on the studio's par

9000/5
Dec 9, 2016 10:40 AM

Dec 2014
No matter how often I watch this arc, this episode always leaves me with watery eyes. :-(
Jan 2, 2017 6:08 PM

May 2016
I finished this episode with my mouth wide open, I mean I felt bad for Shinsuke and then he gets killed! The feels right now.
Jan 21, 2017 9:06 AM

Dec 2015
This was some really heavy stuff man...It felt like a well done 1 hour long episode.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 11, 2017 2:21 AM

Dec 2012
When Takasugi saw the Gintoki's tears T_T. I haven't cried this bad since a long long time. But it's nothing compared to the pain that Gintoki must have felt.
This fight was animated with a lot of feels, we could felt all the pains they have in each punch. It was very painful, but so perfect to represent their emotions.

This episode is the result of 3xx episodes of build-up, to make an epic and unique story. Incredible job from the author
Feb 24, 2017 2:24 PM

Mar 2013
GOAT episode right here son
Jul 3, 2017 1:54 AM

May 2012
The greatest episode of anime ever. Literally the best I've ever seen! The whole series has led up to this. I've never cried so much at an anime before 😭 I feel so deeply for Gin and Takasugi, I feel I've grown to known them after watching Gintama for so many years. How heartbreaking that Gin is the one who was forced to kill Shoyo sensei. No wonder he is the way he is. Same with Takasugi, Gin killed their father pretty much. But it's obvious it's what Shoyo wanted.

When Takasugi saw the ghost of Shoyo, I cried again. He's constantly haunted and obsessed with the memory of his dead sensei. It's all he remembers from his missing eye!

Now all I want is for them to become friends again 😭
who_dat_ninjaJul 3, 2017 2:04 AM
Aug 28, 2017 10:16 AM

Oct 2015
I knew it all along, Takasugi is a less annoying Sasuke. I do feel really sad for him, but death is the only logical cure to any emotional wreck who goes down that path.

Shoyo's execution is heartbreaking..
Oct 27, 2017 12:31 PM

Sep 2017
treedude said:
Tyrel said:
I don't think so. Picking between two people: Friends + Master, and choosing one over the other... I wouldn't really put that in the category of an antagonist. Maybe if you think of it as Takasugi's side, he may feel that, especially from this episode we just saw.

Well i can't say something that kinda spoils people a little.

I'll just say that Gintoki could have chosen something else other than those two options. He was weak in the past. So while he may not be villainous in his actions, i think you could call him an antagonist (someone is in direct opposition to others - usually the main protagonist)......or maybe not...or maybe...idk i'm still mulling it over aha

i know it's been almost 2 years since this comment, but you got me curious, he had a third option? i don't read the manga, is this third option revealed by the end of battle on rakuyo? and if yes can you explain more? cause i have no idea what youre talking about, did i miss something?
Oct 27, 2017 3:58 PM

Jul 2015
Salamak said:
treedude said:

Well i can't say something that kinda spoils people a little.

I'll just say that Gintoki could have chosen something else other than those two options. He was weak in the past. So while he may not be villainous in his actions, i think you could call him an antagonist (someone is in direct opposition to others - usually the main protagonist)......or maybe not...or maybe...idk i'm still mulling it over aha

i know it's been almost 2 years since this comment, but you got me curious, he had a third option? i don't read the manga, is this third option revealed by the end of battle on rakuyo? and if yes can you explain more? cause i have no idea what youre talking about, did i miss something?
Maybe killing himself?
Sup...
Oct 28, 2017 10:26 AM

Sep 2017
SenpaiJay98 said:
Salamak said:

Maybe killing himself?

what good would have this done? that would be stupid his sensei was still going to be murdered. nothing would have changed.
but this way he saved shoyo's legacy , his friends, and took the burden of being the one killing shoyo and thus saving takasugi from going crazy.
SalamakOct 28, 2017 10:32 AM
Dec 23, 2017 7:26 PM

Nov 2015
Even after watching it once. Then watching a couple of vids on Youtube, or re-watching SA and FS arcs because of silver soul hype. This episode always gets me.

Katsura janai, Zura da

Feb 21, 2018 8:09 AM

Nov 2016
This was a masterpiece of an episode,technical aspects were all on point and boi,the past of Gin and the others is far more tragic than imagined.

I couldn't help but cry and I can finally symphatize with Shinsuke after all this.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 12, 2018 8:04 PM
Sep 2017
So many tears were shed! When they showed Gintoki’s tearful face after Sensei said “Arigato” to him, I couldn’t hold back a sob, then Takasugi’s cries to him as the last thing he saw with his left eye was Gin crying after beheading their beloved father figure. Ohhhhhh.

Their fight though. Holy shit. Neither one of them willing to give up even though they could barely move. Then just when they are starting to work things out, that bastard Oboro shows up & does that! WTF?!!

Gintama, I love you, but you slay me.
Dec 4, 2018 2:08 PM

Apr 2012
Oh wow so that's how it played out, executioner Gintoki. Not even surprised in a way, felt pretty Gintamaesque.

On one hand the flashback felt kind of short, but more dramatisation would have been overkill too, so overall good balance I suppose.
Dec 31, 2018 10:47 PM

Dec 2012
DUDE WHAT THE FUCK.
Katsura gonna save Gintoki and Takasugi?

Jun 16, 2019 8:42 AM

May 2015
Very nice episdoe. It's tottal madness now.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 4, 2019 12:15 PM

Mar 2018
It seems Katsura is the only one missing from this reunion now. I hope he will turn up soon.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Mar 30, 2016

252 by zachashah »»
May 26, 12:15 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 41 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Tyrel - Jan 20, 2016

160 by wibugar »»
May 9, 3:23 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cupc - Jul 29, 2015

125 by Jellybeanx »»
May 6, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2016

113 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 20, 11:57 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 42 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Tyrel - Jan 27, 2016

241 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 18, 10:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.