Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 4, 2015 12:13 PM
Mar 2014
I didn't really like this start, it put way too much time into a single episode and never really stopped to give us the chance to immerse into the story. Killing all the adults at the very beginning was a surprise to me, as I would've expected that to happen near the end of the first episode rather than the start, but I'm generally okay with that. What I would've liked to see a bit more of, though, is their struggles and the oppression they were apparently facing whilst living with these vampires. Granted, the series gave us an idea of what the attitudes of humans towards vampires and vice versa were, but it felt a bit cheap how they portrayed it. I mean, come on now, they literally step on their fingers instead of adjusting their path ever so slightly? Even if they'd merely consider these kids their food, why would they treat them that badly? It simply makes no sense to me for any reason other than to give the viewer a basis to hate the vampires and to acknowledge them as the evil guys.

Anyway, the ending just reinforced what the rest of the episode has tried to convey, the vampires are terrible beings with no morals whatsoever. Got it, but there was literally no reason for that noble (Ferid?) to kill all of these kids, and in fact, you could even argue that it was a very asinine move to do so. Aren't they literally his food? Also, that prophecy at the end felt tagged on and brought up even more questions in an already very weird and rushed show.

As it stands, I'd say that it was a rather weak episode (around two or three out of ten), but I'm definitely interested in how they'll explain all the questions surrounding the virus.
DiscrepancyApr 5, 2015 2:33 AM
Apr 4, 2015 12:18 PM

Dec 2013
Your typical post-apocalyptic dystopian story-line, as they tend to be for vampire fiction. The pre-timeskip reminded me of the theme of the movie Daybreakers when I first read the manga. Ferid is easily the most hateable character in the series, doesn't change much even after the time skip, specially in the latest manga chapters....

Not sure what to make of the lack of context for most of what happened in the Vampire city. The kids were suppose to have been subliminally brainwashed into thinking the vampires had saved them from the disaster above ground that killed off all the adults, and thus the reason why they so willingly stayed put in the city and gave their blood to them. Yuu's rebelious streak should be explained in later episodes, but the rest of it was pretty poorly presented. Guess they didn't have enough time.
The kids should have all been questioning why Mika and Yuu wanted to leave in the first place, but instead here they all followed them out, no questions asked, like lost sheep to the slaughter. That really took away a big chunk of the characterization for the young 'uns, making me feel a lot less for them when Ferid took their heads. Given it was suppose to be such a monumental event in the show, that's really kind of shooting themselves in the foot there.

The meeting between Yuu and Guren was also pretty underwhelming to say the least. It was suppose to portray
. In the end all he did was hug Guren to the ground and shed a few tears. Definitely should have been done better

Still, the main story truly starts next episode, so I guess we'll see how much they do to maintain the characterization from the manga. The way this episode went, I'm only 50-50 sold on it, which is kinda sad since I really like the manga.

Can't wait for Saotome and Shinoa to show up. Given where they ended the episode here's hoping we get to see
HESTIAAPPROVES
Apr 4, 2015 12:30 PM

Jul 2014
The art and music is pretty good, it feels like I'm watching an anime movie. I wonder if the deaths of his friends will play a part later on.
Apr 4, 2015 12:30 PM
Sep 2014
Jeez, japanese people and non-japanese names. They can never really get it right, can they?

Mikaela Hyakuya. Well, he certainly *behaves* female, but the internet tells me he isn't. Then why does he have the forename "Mikaela", which is the female version of "Mikael", which is a variation of "Michael"?
What's next? "Tatjana, the world's strongest man"? "Horst, the beautiful seductress?"

The author could have bothered to do at least a few seconds research. The "a" ending, which denotes female gender in a surprisingly vast number of cultures, is a dead giveaway.
Apr 4, 2015 12:31 PM

Aug 2014
Decent first episode.
Apr 4, 2015 12:31 PM
Sep 2014
i just want see kururu x mikael only. hahahahaha
Apr 4, 2015 12:35 PM

Aug 2013
Mika raised too much deathflags, ended up causing the death of the whole group. Poor Yu, end up suffering because of that terrible plan.

Those vampires must be somekind of edgelords. Brooooo, are they serious? ''You humans have created this virus that we are totally not gaining anything from it right now. So now, we will just casually harvest the remaining humans, who happen to be lesser than 13 years old. Yep, don't worry, we certainly didn't create that virus. NOPE.''
Gosh, that's as believable as someone who said he didn't eaten the hot-dog while he have it in his mouth.

Still, seeing a bunch of kids getting slaughtered always manage to enrage me. I don't know, there is something really morbid and humanless about loving desperate children face. It just make me sick. I think it's time for Highschool DxD episode to come out so I can laugh after that.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 4, 2015 12:36 PM

Apr 2009
Yo, that was depressing. Seemed kind of homoerotic/slice of life at the beginning, but then it took a dark turn.
Apr 4, 2015 12:37 PM

May 2013
Hmm, OST's pretty good as of now. A bit predictable, yet still has impact. It does remind me of Shingeki no Kyojin.
I thought Mika would have betrayed them like he's under mind control or something, but wrong guess.

Ferid's a dick to children; good thing he died already.
Nooo, not Akane! Who will help Yuu populate the world? Wait, there's that girl from the preview.
Nooo, not Mika! Who will join Yuu in the yaoi doujins now? I guess it could go with Yuu and that man he fell on.

"Bring it on." This was one of the least emotional bring it on's I've ever seen.
But hey, MC's looking badass after four years. Can't wait to see him kill vampires uncensored.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Apr 4, 2015 12:39 PM

Jan 2014
Seems alright so far, doubt it will get any better than a 7/10. But who knows, maybe they will step it up
Apr 4, 2015 12:45 PM

Apr 2011
Wow this was awesome for a first episode. The art, animation and music were just so good. Can't wait until the next episode
Apr 4, 2015 1:00 PM

Mar 2013
Wow, pretty good, I'm liking it so far.
Based Hiroyuki Sawano and WIT Studio :)
Apr 4, 2015 1:03 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Rianri said:
That was ok. It felt a bit rushed but there really wasn't any other way around it...

On a side note, hadn't I read the manga, I'd probably end up dropping this after a couple of episodes. The manga had me eye-rolling several times in the early chapters and if it weren't for my faith in the author and my love for the art style...then I'd also have given up on it really fast. I'm glad I didn't.

This series has a shamelessly clichéd start. (Oh the next episode will be even worse... No worries though, Shinoa can make everything and anything worthwhile.) But if you can make it past that, there's good things in store later on.

Yeah it felt rushed, and the flow was weird too in certain scenes. It was kind of weird the way Mika just teared up and cried when he was talking to Yuu at the attic, and then that was it lol. And also when Yuu cried and hugged Guren. That scene in particular made more sense in the manga than here. But anyways, yeah the whole scenario is pretty generic, and I didn't particularly care for the manga the beginning, I just liked the art. I can't say that I love the manga either (so far) but it's been keeping me interested in it at least so I continue to read it. I like the theme of family and some of the characters too. Anyways, can't say that was the best start for an anime because of its rushed nature, but the art is pretty and music fitting. As Keten said though, cinematography could be better, it's very basic, and partially the reason why I didn't feel like this episode had a lot of impact.
Apr 4, 2015 1:06 PM

Oct 2014
Awry said:
Shrimperor said:
and thus, the fujoshi-bait starts!

Was ok, but something feels of.

It's just not UBW; is why you don't like it.

Who said i don't? I like it, it's just that i read the manga and feel something was off.
And because i read the manga, i know that this is a fujoshi bait!
Apr 4, 2015 1:10 PM

Nov 2014
Welp, kids in anime are the worst, so glad we got that part over with.
Quality Queen.
Apr 4, 2015 1:11 PM

Jul 2010
Average start for me, in the next episode preview the MC reminded me of Okumura Rin from Ao no Exorcist.
Apr 4, 2015 1:12 PM

Jul 2013
It isn't that bad as other people say.

No OP or ED though.
Apr 4, 2015 1:15 PM

Aug 2013
The hyyyyypeee issss reaaaaaaaal

Been waiting too damn long for this. The bar was already set so high and it still exceeded my expectations.

Cant wait for next week already.

Wit you have already redeemed yourselves for the utter failure that was Rolling Girls.

Lmao at the people like Flawfinder thinking it's going to turn into some boring generic school life next episode.

Br4nd0nHeat said:
It's pretty interesting but imma just give it a 7 for now since it screams Hero MC vs Last Boss Friend(Mika)

Might change it depends on the episode and development though.

It's clear you haven't read the manga because it's not like that at all.

Barion-Zara said:
What a merciless bastard that bishi vampire was. I wonder if he's really dead? So Vampire can die if they're shot in the head in this series? I wouldn't be surprised if Mika is still alive either.

you shall see.
Apr 4, 2015 1:15 PM

Sep 2010
Mika noooooo ;__;

I have a feeling the vampires are going to use Mika against Yu somehow.. They never actually showed him dead, so there's a chance.. (Or maybe that's just me hoping he's not dead.)
Apr 4, 2015 1:26 PM

Aug 2013
Rianri said:
That was ok. It felt a bit rushed but there really wasn't any other way around it...
I expected the animation to be better, but it's not like I'm disappointed either. Eh, pretty much everything about this episode was in the ok-zone for me.

Are you high? What about this was rushed at all? They only adapted the first chap.
You expected the animation to be better? The fuck, in what way? The animation was superb. You just already have the show set up to fail in your head, so you'll say anything is a flaw to boost your reasoning.

John_h said:
As it stands, I'd say that it was a rather weak episode (around two or three out of ten), but I'm definitely interested in how they'll explain all the questions surrounding the virus.

If you think an episode that was adapted almost perfectly from ch.01 is weak, then you better just drop the fucking show right now. It's obvious you're going to hate it for the sake of hating it.
Apr 4, 2015 1:30 PM

Aug 2013
Excellent episode, I was excited from start to finish, also quite liked the animation and soundtrack, not to mention the plot I've ever accompany the manga and I think excellent

The first episode brought enough drama and sentimentality, especially of the protagonist, Yuu has a serious way but a bit stupid, I like his personality

For sure I will continue watching, the anime has everything to be among the best of the season ..
Apr 4, 2015 1:31 PM

Jun 2013
I felt like I was watching a movie. I'm looking forward to what this will bring and I hope it lives up to its hype from this episode.
Apr 4, 2015 1:32 PM

Aug 2013
Damn, that was a really depressing start. Those poor children ;_;. Kinda wondering how Mikaela comes back after losing an arm and being stabbed through the stomach like that. The time-skipping and the "kill them all" mentality felt kinda reminiscent of Titan. Excited for next week to see where this goes.
Apr 4, 2015 1:38 PM

Apr 2013
Finally it's here!!
They changed many things from the manga but I still like it a lot! I cried like a baby the whole episode....
Can't wait to see next chapter :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2015 1:41 PM

Feb 2011
the music used is not very fitting i think, it totally spoils the mood :/

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Apr 4, 2015 1:41 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty good pilot episode.
Good to see another post apocalyptic anime. Art was really good.
Pretty violent and gory as well, quite dramatic episode with all of them dying like that
I'm usually one that doesn't like 'vampire' type shows/anime but this one got me hooked
Honestly excited to see this show expand ^^
Apr 4, 2015 1:51 PM
Nov 2014
Another spring 2015 series with a great start. The voice acting and the OST were good. It feels kinda generic but still a great first episode.
Apr 4, 2015 1:57 PM

Aug 2014
Blonde kid should have died here, but you just know he will return as a vampire for the MC to angst over
Apr 4, 2015 2:02 PM
Mar 2014
Jonesy974 said:
John_h said:

If you think an episode that was adapted almost perfectly from ch.01 is weak, then you better just drop the fucking show right now. It's obvious you're going to hate it for the sake of hating it.

Let's put the fact that you don't know me aside, why should the series not be able to get any better from my point of view? I've explained that the problems that I had with the series were largely caused by its extremely fast pacing, which will most likely not reoccur the way it happened in this first episode, or at least that's what I'm expecting. Otherwise we'd probably end up with characters at the age of like 90.
Apr 4, 2015 2:07 PM

Feb 2014
Yes! Was so hyped for this and am glad to see that this looks like it's gonna be a pretty faithful adaptation of the manga!

The OST is yes, really looking forward to the actual OP.

Apr 4, 2015 2:11 PM

Dec 2013
Pretty meh start. Didn't really feel bad for those kids :/

Next time it looks like we are heading into a generic highschool setting...
Apr 4, 2015 2:19 PM

Jul 2009
TheUnbiasedOne91 said:
Blonde kid should have died here, but you just know he will return as a vampire for the MC to angst over

If this series turn out to be something similar to this I will drop it ASAP, I'm really tired and old for generic hyped bs, I've had enough with AgK and SnK.

2 time skips in 1 episode, it feels so rushed and maybe, just maybe it gets better but I really don't will put too much hope on this.

5/10
Apr 4, 2015 2:20 PM

Apr 2013
The premise seems a bit silly, as having a virus that affects people above a certain age is just random. The episode itself wasn't as exciting as I was expecting and turned out quite predictable. While animation was good, the art seemed a bit too washed out for my taste as well.
Still, that shot of a post-apocalyptic world was quite nice and made me eager to see more of the setting.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Apr 4, 2015 2:26 PM

Mar 2013
Seigyoku said:
Aaand, we return to tragic Saturdays. Awesome start, good voice acting, ost and art. Can't wait to see how this goes.

Attack on Vampires timee~

Okay episode in general
Apr 4, 2015 2:31 PM
Jul 2018
That was one very good episode.

Poor children, they got murdered by the vampire except Yuuichirou. I felt sorry for Mika.
Apr 4, 2015 2:32 PM

Apr 2012
So many time skips lol. I think the pacing should be fine since this is a 2 cour series. The setting and animation is pretty awesome, but the whole virus wiping out everything except 13 year olds and younger is kinda far fetched lol

Apr 4, 2015 2:33 PM

Jan 2014
Very interesting. I was hyped so much for this anime, it seems it will meet my expectations. AOTS

Damn first episode and already I barely could hold the tears... those kids... T.T

Visuals looks not too good, a bit low budget... I hoped for SnK level visuals, but I see I was never so wrong. (P.S it may appear to me like this, because before watching this, I watched UBW, so yeah... lol)

However...
MY EARS, OH MY GAWD
Apr 4, 2015 2:34 PM

Apr 2014
So far so good.
Hope it follow the LN...don't want a good series to be ruin.
Looking forward to next episode.
Apr 4, 2015 2:36 PM

Jul 2012
It was alright. Nothing too impressive, to be honest (even when the kids died it was kind of anticipated), but I'm not that bored and hopefully the next episodes will deliver something better
Apr 4, 2015 2:38 PM
Oct 2014
This was better than i expected and i get some SnK vibes from this beginning!
Apr 4, 2015 2:40 PM

Nov 2014
One hell of a first episode, really looking forward to more
Hi there
Apr 4, 2015 2:55 PM

Jul 2013
lots of people made it seem like the 1st episode was downright terrible but it wasn't that bad. it started slow but it definitely picked up in the 2nd half. ost was good too. i'm looking forward to the op and ed next week
Apr 4, 2015 2:55 PM

Nov 2012
Atleast Kaji doesn't voice the MC.

Yaoi undertones between Yuuichirou and Mikaela (not that I'm surprised the manga mainly sold well cause of fujoshis).

A bunch of "deaths" I didn't feel a damn thing about.

Doubt any of them die,they probably got turned to vampires.

Unimpressive/meh start.
Apr 4, 2015 2:56 PM

Sep 2014
I really thought at least Mikaela would survive the slaughter with Yu...
Then again, think of the poor children.
Apr 4, 2015 3:00 PM
Sep 2014
Decent animation and very good art and music (I really liked its cyberpunk feel).
It was a little bit predictable, but overall I really enjoyed this first episode :)
Can't wait to see what this series will bring!

Apr 4, 2015 3:05 PM

Aug 2013
The character designs in this show by Satoshi Kadowaki look surprisingly similar to the ones done by Masayoshi Tanaka.
Examples include "AnoHana", "High School of the Dead", and "Toradora!".

It must be the shape of the adults' eyes and their jawlines.
Apr 4, 2015 3:21 PM

Jul 2013
Akaneee :'(
ameimoon said:
Is it wrong that I ship Yuu and Mika?
Entertaining episode, really reminds me of Shingeki no Kyojin.

You'll be shipping them hard after future episodes.

Nice start. Two 4 year time-skips heh.
Next episode, best girl Shinoa :D
Apr 4, 2015 3:21 PM

Jun 2013
This is great! The OST by maestro Hiroyuki Sawano is eargasmic as always :)
Apr 4, 2015 3:26 PM

Apr 2014
Aw I knew they were all going to die it was so obvious, didn't even give me the time to build up some feels.
Apr 4, 2015 3:30 PM

Jun 2014
Wow
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Owari no Seraph Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2015

260 by Salomikee »»
Apr 6, 11:48 AM

» Will this come to crunchyroll soon?

Rockyjams909 - Apr 5

7 by _Blossom18_ »»
Apr 5, 4:03 PM

» Is it a good idea to watch this show? ( 1 2 )

boyswhatup - May 30, 2023

50 by RulyKinkajou59 »»
Mar 10, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Who should Yuno marry?

Lost_Hearts - Dec 17, 2023

6 by NaLu4lifee »»
Jan 17, 11:52 AM

Poll: » Owari no Seraph Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2015

402 by Lena321 »»
Dec 17, 2023 11:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.