Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 10, 2009 7:55 PM

Aug 2008
So it's that Shannon doesn't exist at all, and is a total figment in the fantasy element and that Kanon dresses up as Shannon, or what?
Oct 10, 2009 8:04 PM

Jan 2009
As said before, that theory just comes from the fact Piece Battler never sees both Shannon and Kanon at the same time. It could be reverse trapping or just trapping, the theory is kinda ambiguous about that.

We know for sure that Shannon existed 6 years ago as she remembers Battler correctly in things he himself had forgotten. Of course there could be some weird things going on since Shannon is said to act pretty different from those days as well.

Nanjo and Genji being the most suspicious is borderline spoiler... but I guess "The Butler did it" and "the doctor could be faking info!" are common lines of thought anyway.
Oct 10, 2009 8:05 PM

Jun 2007
Kanon dressed up as Shannon. Seeing them separate would be a fantasy element. Fans believe the red truth and what piece Battler sees when he isn't drunk, are the only things that are certain to be the truth.

Many also think that once midnight of the second day arrives, anything goes. Nothing after that point can be trusted. The game is over and Beatrice can do whatever she wants with the world.
Oct 10, 2009 8:11 PM

Aug 2008
Ehh, it's too faulty of a theory. Is it possible? I guess, but I don't think it's really worth discussion.

As far as Nanjo and Genji are concerned, since I haven't read the VN, and stuff about the two have been said since the first and second arcs respectively, I don't think it's a spoiler. Rather, saying it's a borderline spoiler is more of a spoiler if you get what I mean.
Oct 10, 2009 8:15 PM

Jan 2009
I say borderline since nothing is confirmed xD. Closer to the truth would be "most of those who have read/know about the events in all the VNs so far look at them as fishy".

Doesn't help that Genji seems to always find bodies or is shown doing actual killing in magic battles... or that his name is Genji Ronoue.
Oct 10, 2009 8:16 PM

Jun 2007
I'm not sure if I believe in the Kanon=Shannon theory. It has a lot backing it up, but it's so farfetched.
Oct 10, 2009 8:24 PM

Jan 2009
What confuses me about that theory is how do people explain Jessica not realizing it if it were the truth. I mean, ok, Krauss is a canonical idiot, so Jessica may be genetically dumb... but it would take a ton of dumbness to not realize the girl you chat with and the guy you like are the same person. Clark Kenting is one thing, this would require a lot more effort.

Of course, there are other explanations for Jessica's part in the plot that could be related to this, but bah...
Oct 10, 2009 8:27 PM

Aug 2008
I'm starting to believe more and more that the women in this family have severe mental issues that are integral to the mystery. Is the matriarch totally unnecessary in this story? Why?
Oct 10, 2009 8:32 PM

Jan 2009
So far from the anime you can already gather

Natsuhi - Regular migraines, self-esteem issues
Eva - Dissociative identity disorder
Rosa - Abusive parent, self-esteem issues, avoids responsibilities
Kyrie - ...?
Jessica - Book dumb, loves furniture
Oct 10, 2009 8:38 PM

Aug 2008
Actually, I meant the blood related women, so not Natsuhi and Kyrie. Also, Rosa seems to have psychotic breaks when dealing with Maria. Perhaps that "bad witch" comment Maria made was in relation to that split. Jessica also talks about creating another person inside of herself the same way that Eva did, so I'd put her on that bus also. And Maria is autistic. I swear she is.
Oct 10, 2009 8:45 PM

Jan 2009
Ah yes, Maria obviously has issues too. And good point about Rosa's psychotic break; I think she is only one to have them regularly before killings start (which obviously explains or at least justifies any others).

Hm. I think Kinzo's wife involvement is reduced to "She suspected that Kinzo had a secret mistress". There is also Battler's mom Asumu...
Oct 10, 2009 8:46 PM

Aug 2008
What about that other Ushiromiya girl...ya know...*beep*?

They must have gotten the deranged mentality from their father...I hope the mother is sane unlike her spouse...
Oct 10, 2009 8:48 PM

Aug 2008
Unless they're doing some crazy interpretation of Huntington's. The men (besides Kinzo) seem to have no psychological problems.
Oct 10, 2009 8:48 PM
May 2008
Interesting episode, but hardly seems fair for Battler. Also, love the theories guys... completely siding with you on Maria = autistic.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Oct 10, 2009 9:28 PM

Aug 2009
Ahh...I see where the Battler/Beato shipping is coming from now.
Oct 10, 2009 10:17 PM

May 2008
Huh...so Beatrice is listening to Battler? And the slap was epic win.

Curse those censors though. I wanted to see Rosa's mangled stabbed up face. Gonna have to find the uncensored soon..

Oct 10, 2009 11:43 PM

Apr 2007
garfield15 said:
Ahh...I see where the Battler/Beato shipping is coming from now.

Actually, quite a bit of the Beato x Battler shipping started in Ep2... especially with the ending banquet scene. Pukuku.
Oct 11, 2009 1:02 AM

Mar 2009
I really liked this episode! Very well done, I think! Getting some nice character development. (Having not played the VN, I have no clue what's coming next lol)

I like the direction Beato is going in. Finally this "child" gets scolded...and she's so adorable! Even though she's been doing some sadistic killing, in the back of my head, I'm thinking "She's SO CUTE."

If I was Battler, during all of this 'trying-to-prove-magic-isn't-real' thing, I would have been playfully hitting on her. XD

That is all. Haha!
Oct 11, 2009 1:33 AM
Aug 2009
noteDhero said:
...And Maria is autistic. I swear she is.

I think Maria clearly has Asperger syndrome.
Oct 11, 2009 1:34 AM

May 2008
Maria is awesome. That's all you need to know.
I really find Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis to be simply silly.

Having a strong interest in unusual things is not a mental disorder.
I'm not sure whether to disagree with the Autism Spectrum diagnosis or Asperger's Syndrome being considered a disorder to begin with.

For me to consider someone Autistic, they have to different from other human beings on a significantly Neural level. It's not just something I want to throw around to a little girl who has a fixation on magic that comes before studying or making friends.
ukonkiviOct 11, 2009 1:41 AM

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 11, 2009 1:39 AM
Aug 2009
ukonkivi said:
Maria is awesome. That's all you need to know.
I really find Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis to be simply silly.

Having a strong interest in unusual things is not a mental disorder.
I'm not sure whether to disagree with the Autism Spectrum diagnosis or Asperger's Syndrome being considered a disorder to begin with.

For me to consider someone Autistic, they have to different from other human beings on a significantly Neural level.

I know that I have Asperger's syndrome, and how maria acts or thinks seemed familiar to me.

Edit: Some things, that make me think Maria has Asperger's syndrome:
Maria uses uu~ to replace words, that she don't know how to say.
And she fails to understand how uu~ annoys her mother.

(The spoilered text has references to EP4)
moldy_tomatoOct 11, 2009 1:53 AM
Oct 11, 2009 1:54 AM

May 2008
Beato's kinda cute in this ep...XD

BeatoXBattler...Oooohhh...

BakaOnna said:

Actually, quite a bit of the Beato x Battler shipping started in Ep2... especially with the ending banquet scene. Pukuku.

Episode 2??? if i remember Beatrice first appeared in episode 5 right??? or this is something to do with the VN...

I knew something like this (BeatoXBattler) would somewhat happent after watching the OP XD

I can't really understand what is this "asperger's syndrome"?? could someone explain it to me in simpler words?? XD

Oct 11, 2009 2:22 AM

Nov 2008
DeathkaiserG said:
Beato's kinda cute in this ep...XD

I can't really understand what is this "asperger's syndrome"?? could someone explain it to me in simpler words?? XD

Asperger Syndrome is a mental illness that effects social interaction. It generally involves the patient taking a strict liking to one or a few particular things, for example, we'll use Maria, she is addicted to witches and the occult. That would be her specific intrest, and what she truly believes. Maria doesn't show any real repetitiveness in what she does, but that is another part of Asperger Syndrome, wherein the patient will repeat things constantly and preoccupy themselves with that.

As well as this, Language can be difficult for people with AS, without getting into detail, Maria's "uu~" would be an example of this.

So simply, a person with this syndrome, has bad social skills, and display intense interests in varied things, but usually it only involves 1 or a few things.

So, it's true that Maria could have AS, on top of this however, I feel she has some sort of Schizophrenia attached to it. When she transgresses into her witch form (I'm calling it a witch form [I'm Anti-Mystery, gogo Magic]) she takes on a completly different personality, removing all the "uu~"s from her speaking, and laughing creepily, even though I'm sure we've picked up on this, what's to say that there aren't other personalties Maria has... just throwin' it out there D:

And for noteDhero, the men "sort of" have their problems, for example, Rudolf is the biggest womanizer... even if it's jokingly, Krauss has issues with money, Battler is Battler... that's a mental illness within itself D: *shields from the Battler fans (even though I still like him and stuff)*, Kinzo - devoted his like to the occult, became a madman basically, and well George, Nanjo, Hideyoshi, and Genji are all pretty normal I guess. Oh and I guess Kanon is pretty normal too, besides the fact he hates Beato... how can you hate Beato... D:
VahrielOct 11, 2009 2:30 AM

Oct 11, 2009 2:50 AM

May 2008
moldy_tomato said:

(The spoilered text has references to EP4)

But I don't think this is the sign of a different brain type on a Neurological level.
Autism is a Neurodevelopmental disorder.

Furthermore, just as easily as Maria could be called having Asperger's Syndrome, so could Ushiromiya Kinzo.

I'll resign to say it's possible that Maria is a case of extremely extremely mild Autism.
And even with that, I'd say that Maria is by far one of the most mentally healthy people in the Ushiromiya family.

From your words, you seem to mean this as a matter of "Autistic Pride" and have adopted the more "New" thinking of the matter of having Autism spectrum as "special" or gifted instead of mentally unhealthy. Retaking a negative label with pride as the LGBT community retook the term Queer.

I'm comfortable with that to some extent, it's better than claiming a lack of reliance on hypernormality and conformity is to be ill. But I'd rather go a step further and reject the precision of the modern psychology community. Claiming that someone who has interested that go beyond their need to be accepted by relatives or peers, not caring what others think to a certain scaled degree, has a mental disorder will always be viewed as mentally unhealthy to some extent. And I find this label, especially with the advent of Asperger's Syndrome recognition, is becoming increasingly preposterous.

There's nothing to justify here. If one is in a state of great mental well being, there is no reason to call it a mental disorder. And I can't believe something so pro-individualist as Western culture would have the audacity to call such a thing as a mental disorder. The label is nothing more than a piece of collectivist pressure.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 11, 2009 3:43 AM

Nov 2008
I understand what you're saying here ukonkivi, and you are quite right. But, who are we to know whether Maria has AS or not, we'll probably never find out. I don't even think it will alter anything in the story. However, her Schizophrenia that I mentioned in my post above, could have a strong relation to the story. But then again, this could just be Maria having a little fun, maybe this personality is intentionally brought on and brought back, I don't know. But, I still think her Witch-ness is important.

As for naming the AS, I'm sorry for naming it as a disorder, If that's offensive in any way, I just assume that labeling something as a disorder isn't that bad, So I'm sorry.

As for something else, what do you guys mean when you mention the "Battler and Beato Shipping" I don't understand the word Shipping in this sense, I don't recall it being brought up in the VN. It's probably something simple, but I just can't grasp it at the minute.

Oct 11, 2009 4:20 AM
Aug 2009
Rufusruferson said:
...As for something else, what do you guys mean when you mention the "Battler and Beato Shipping" I don't understand the word Shipping in this sense, I don't recall it being brought up in the VN. It's probably something simple, but I just can't grasp it at the minute.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shipping
Aiya said:
A term used to describe fan fictions that take previously created characters and put them as a pair. It usually refers to romantic relationships, but it can refer platonic ones as well. (Just think of "shipping" as short for "relationSHIP".)
Oct 11, 2009 4:41 AM

Oct 2009
To be honest all have mental problems due to Island syndrome. The easy explanation to that is when people are stuck in one place constantly. They all develop some mental problems. Some get worst that had them before.

Even I have that until I go to the village's tavern for some talking. Can't really stay around the farm all the time. Even going to a neighbour helps me.

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Oct 11, 2009 4:58 AM

Aug 2008
Very quickly: The men seem to have vices, or being just plain dumb, which is completely different from the mental health issues that are rampant in the women. If womanizing is actually a euphemism for sexual addiction, and money problems for gambling problem, that's a different story, but still different from more severe psychological problems the women display. As for Maria, she is not at of the most mentally healthy people in the family. She has a total lack of understanding of how to act in social situations, she is more motivated by impulses than most children her age, and then there's the behavior when she has Higurashi face. She's clearly been abused, and I think the coping she has done for that has to have compounded her mentally. It's not just one thing wrong with her. To me, just seeing how she acts on the bus and with her mother makes me think some form of autism. I personally don't think it's Aspergers' either, but because I only know adults with the disease, I won't go any further.

As far as Mental Health, I think it goes this way

George
Rudolf
Krauss
Battler
Jessica
Maria
Eva
Rosa
Kinzo

I think Jessica is the divider, being the threshold between mentally healthy and psychologically damaged.
noteDheroOct 11, 2009 5:02 AM
Oct 11, 2009 5:06 AM

Oct 2009
noteDhero said:
Very quickly: The men seem to have vices, or being just plain dumb, which is completely different from the mental health issues that are rampant in the women. If womanizing is actually a euphemism for sexual addiction, and money problems for gambling problem, that's a different story, but still different from more severe psychological problems the women display. As for Maria, she is not at of the most mentally healthy people in the family. She has a total lack of understanding of how to act in social situations, she is more motivated by impulses than most children her age, and then there's the behavior when she has Higurashi face. She's clearly been abused, and I think the coping she has done for that has to have compounded her mentally. It's not just one thing wrong with her. To me, just seeing how she acts on the bus and with her mother makes me think some form of autism. I personally don't think it's Aspergers' either, but because I only know adults with the disease, I won't go any further.

George
Rudolf
Krauss
Battler
Jessica
Maria
Eva
Rosa
Kinzo

I think Jessica is the divider, being the threshold between mentally healthy and psychologically damaged.

For Maria, is it only the mother's fault or also father/school/environment?

Oct 11, 2009 5:38 AM

Aug 2008
We don't know about the father, so I can't say. As for the school, we don't know much, but if it's an average school, then she's what, a 3rd grader? I don't think it's school either. And then that there doesn't seem to be any difference in her actions when she is away from Rosa (ie. being quiter, more open, more socially understanding), what she has done isn't the biggest problem. I think it's an inherent mental issue, and then her mother's abuse adds another, maybe slightly unrelated issue to it.

PS.
Maybe Eva needs to go above Maria. I think she maybe healthier, we'll see after this arc.
Oct 11, 2009 7:33 AM

Oct 2009
noteDhero said:
We don't know about the father, so I can't say. As for the school, we don't know much, but if it's an average school, then she's what, a 3rd grader? I don't think it's school either. And then that there doesn't seem to be any difference in her actions when she is away from Rosa (ie. being quiter, more open, more socially understanding), what she has done isn't the biggest problem. I think it's an inherent mental issue, and then her mother's abuse adds another, maybe slightly unrelated issue to it.

PS.
Maybe Eva needs to go above Maria. I think she maybe healthier, we'll see after this arc.

Ah ok, thanks for opinion.

Oct 11, 2009 7:43 AM

Oct 2007
noteDhero said:
How do you know they aren't wearing the same outfit? Don't trust what you see so much.
It goes both ways.;p

That is all you need to watch this show. It is sad but it is truth.

Now where is the theory about Battler being the most suspicious?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Oct 11, 2009 8:42 AM

Jun 2008
noteDhero said:

George
Rudolf
Krauss
Battler
Jessica
Maria
Eva
Rosa
Kinzo

Why is Rosa so low? I actually think she's kind of normal. There are plenty of women like her.
Oct 11, 2009 8:57 AM

Aug 2008
She severely physically abuses her child, and as I said before, seems to have some kind of mental break. When she's done she kind of stares like she isn't aware of what she's done, or she can't believe it. Could be bipolar, or some form of depression mixed with serious anger management issues.

Edit:
Also, Rosa doesn't seem to be as cognizant of her problem like Eva is.
noteDheroOct 11, 2009 9:02 AM
Oct 11, 2009 9:15 AM

Nov 2007
Man, that Beato-slap moment needs it's own Youtube loop and epic song.
Oct 11, 2009 1:31 PM

Jul 2008
YuenSan said:
Man, that Beato-slap moment needs it's own Youtube loop and epic song.

lol?
Oct 11, 2009 2:16 PM

Sep 2008
Reasonable episode.
Eva-Beato is moe.
Censors :<
Lamb & Bern are also moe.
Oct 11, 2009 11:51 PM

Aug 2009
woot. young eva became "new beatrice" xD
and battler slap beato!

lady lamda is so cute. ^^

"Perhaps the distant part of the sky always seems clearest, so that we will always strive to reach it."

chiquit

Oct 12, 2009 8:10 AM

Oct 2007
PsychFreak said:
"Without love, it cannot be seen."

Haha I see what you did their. Promise is such a great song... if it gets replaced during the second season...
Oct 12, 2009 9:36 AM

Feb 2008
I got confused at 9-12 or something, but episode 15 was good and showed some good anti-strats against the magic argument. I hope it goes this way, it is entertaining watching Beatrices and witches shit fighting for something.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Oct 12, 2009 3:50 PM

Jun 2009
I thought this episode was tedious.
I was kind of boring to watch too.
Beatrice, the usual one, seemed out of character.
Eva-Beatrice was cute, but just a child.
Otherwise it as okay.
Not one of the good ones though.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Oct 13, 2009 12:15 PM

Apr 2009
I really liked how Beatrice acted in the end. (I actually started liking her)
And Eva-Beatrice is annoying...=_=

I loved the episode.
The way Maria and Rosa died was sad though...:(
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Oct 13, 2009 6:42 PM

Feb 2008

I liked this episode, cause something is actually changing from the usual routine of Beato killing people, and Battler sometimes getting a hit, and sometimes failing/etc..
yahzeeOct 13, 2009 6:55 PM
Oct 13, 2009 8:41 PM
Oct 2009
What a twist! I never expect eva or whatever is inside of her to suddenly become a witch.
Oct 13, 2009 9:02 PM

Dec 2008
WHAT?!! now, beato is going soft on us?? she needs to get slap again and come to her usual senses....Battler do us the honor
Oct 13, 2009 11:54 PM
Aug 2009
DKCesia said:
WHAT?!! now, beato is going soft on us?? she needs to get slap again and come to her usual senses....Battler do us the honor

No! Beato should stay Moe I'm gonna take her home!!!

Nice Ep.
pacing
music (Sorry I'm one of the few people who hates Happiness of Marionette)
dubbing (Ono and Ohara are good!)

Dislikes:
Sea of Jelly???? Mountain of Cake????
and My screen just became blurry all of the sudden
oh it was just the censor
Animation (inconsistent except at the torture scene)

Overall it was one of my fave episodes!!!!

almost forgot lol on the bitch- I mean witch slapping scene.
holyknight94Oct 13, 2009 11:57 PM
Oct 14, 2009 4:27 AM

Jun 2008
This is all just to crazy. I can't even understand what kind of anime this is anymore.
Beatrice starting talking like Shana, getting slapped and turned in to moe moe kyoun. For the love of God, what else to expect.

At least now we know why the painting in the opening was so different. Because it's Eva-Beatrice. Yeah another crazy thing happening. And a CAKE. A CAKE? NO THE CAKE MUST BE A LIE!

Obviously this show has turned in to a complete comedy. Am just waiting for Battler to go Super Sayan with power over 9000, Maria getting a sharingan and all the witches making a K-ON club while sitting around drinking tea and talking nonsense.Oh wait... they are already doing the tea part.
Oct 14, 2009 6:15 AM

Nov 2007
Cruel death:
Oct 14, 2009 11:04 AM

Jan 2008
Monad said:

Obviously this show has turned in to a complete comedy. Am just waiting for Battler to go Super Sayan with power over 9000, Maria getting a sharingan and all the witches making a K-ON club while sitting around drinking tea and talking nonsense.Oh wait... they are already doing the tea part.

Ahaha this comment had me laughing forever. It's so true.

I've never played the VN and (like most people I'd imagine) started this show thinking it would be another Higurashi. Obviously they're much different and I can clearly see that, but I just can't wrap my ahead around -what- it's supposed to be.

I've given up trying to take it seriously. At first I thought it would be a genuine creepy mystery story, and I loved the thought of that. I was eager to decipher a bunch of clues and hang on to the plot, but it just keeps going bizarre. I now understand it's not a basic 'It was Colonel Mustard in the Dining Room with a Wrench!!' but the supernatural aspects are just throwing me off.

Ah well, I'm intrigued to see how it ends, but my actual interest in the mystery has waned to almost nothing. There seems to be no point in keeping track of clues or making theories since they're just blown away extravagantly.
Oct 14, 2009 11:39 AM

Jun 2008
You guys give up too easily. Though it really does seem like the anime doesn't have enough clues.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.