Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Sep 5, 2009 4:40 PM
Jan 2009
that one scene was awesome and extremely well done, props for that, but haruhi sucks now. haruhi's barely even a character anymore. the show is about babysitting her ego and kyon is the only one who has the balls to treat her like a human. but seriously, haruhi sucks hardcore. i know her name is in the title but come on wtf.
Sep 5, 2009 4:47 PM

Mar 2008
yeahbirds said:
that one scene was awesome and extremely well done, props for that, but haruhi sucks now. haruhi's barely even a character anymore. the show is about babysitting her ego and kyon is the only one who has the balls to treat her like a human. but seriously, haruhi sucks hardcore. i know her name is in the title but come on wtf.

Haha, agreed.
Sep 5, 2009 7:04 PM

Mar 2009
I loved this episode :D

And I think I'm the only one that feels no sorry for Mikuru...

Sep 5, 2009 7:21 PM
Apr 2009
Haruhi acting a lot stupider than usual...
The mood suddenly getting serious with Kyon about to attack Haruhi...
Barely any comedy...

This didn't feel like a Haruhi episode at all. But I can't say I didn't enjoy it to a certain degree.
Sep 5, 2009 8:13 PM

Feb 2008
haruhi's just not fun to watch anymore. even tho i was never a humongous fan of the series like most people in here, i did give it a 9/10 solely because of the dialogue and somewhat unique story. But now haruhi has become this annoying problem and i can't even bring myself to care or look forward to the next ep. And for some reason, i just don't like koizoumi anymore. Its like he's just a big ol scaredy cat with a big mouth. Always preaching but can't never come to a solid conclusion about anything. sigh... just like the name of the arc :(
Sep 5, 2009 9:18 PM

Oct 2008
Wow sudden character development much? Since when did Kyon grow some balls?

Hope KyoAni keeps this kind of stuff going. Awesome episode..
Sep 6, 2009 2:01 AM
Aug 2007
rreggiebryant1 said:
haruhi's just not fun to watch anymore. even tho i was never a humongous fan of the series like most people in here, i did give it a 9/10 solely because of the dialogue and somewhat unique story. But now haruhi has become this annoying problem and i can't even bring myself to care or look forward to the next ep. And for some reason, i just don't like koizoumi anymore. Its like he's just a big ol scaredy cat with a big mouth. Always preaching but can't never come to a solid conclusion about anything. sigh... just like the name of the arc :(

what are you saying...the fun part is seeing the whole picture, and not just a portion of it...the dark, and the light...anybody who's annoyed only means that they're not less than them or they're not different from them (well basing on kyon's realization..it could be the latter)...
xsparcSep 6, 2009 2:11 AM
Sep 6, 2009 2:06 AM

May 2008
I'm beginning to hate Haruhi.

/wrist
Sep 6, 2009 4:13 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
canephalanx said:
I'm beginning to hate Haruhi.

/wrist
uh that's taking it a bit too far...

poor Mikuru :|
p r o f i l e 👀
Sep 6, 2009 4:40 AM

May 2009
People keep saying it's the bobbing on Mikuru's head that made Kyon snap, but I think it's all the stuff she forced Mikuru into doing and the way she's treated her since they first met that finally made him go "enough is enough".

The problem with Haruhi is what others said before: she gets away with everything, because most of the SOS members fear it will have grave consequences if they oppose her. I think it's pretty obvious that Mikuru doesn't like the way she's being treated by Haruhi most of the time, but of what she believes Haruhi to be, she swallows it. No one dares to step up and tell Haruhi to tone down her erratic behavior and as such, she keeps pushing the limits. Kyon is watching all this go by without anyone doing anything and it pisses him off and eventually, all that built-up rage has to go somewhere - Haruhi's face preferably.

I don't really care what Haruhi's motivation for treating Mikuru as a toy is. If she's jealous of her, especially considering that Kyon seems to be quite fond of her too (though that might mostly be mere sympathy for her being treated as a toy rather than true affection), she could've found better ways at showing that than abusing her in every possible way. What Kyon pretty much wanted Haruhi to understand is that there are things she can't get away with, even if all the others don't stand up. And if the scenes after that are any indication, I think that message got through to her quite clearly.

Yes, Haruhi is the product of her own environment. But that's because no one ever gave her any backtalk, let alone a slap on the wrist if she screwed up and as a result, she doesn't know her own limits. It doesn't serve as an excuse to justify her behavior whatsoever. She does more harm than good to those she supposedly cares about (and Mikuru in particular), so there HAS to be someone to put her back in place and that role has befallen on Kyon. His reaction (to me) is perfectly understandable and justified.

And the "guys should not hit girls" statement is a load of bull, but I won't go into that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2009 4:46 AM

Aug 2009
Never thought I would see that side of Kyon.
Sep 6, 2009 5:08 AM

Aug 2009
he got pretty fired up, didn't he ^^ So manly and dangerous x]
Sep 6, 2009 7:05 AM

Jul 2009
Zero_r2 said:
so...the ponytail that kyon was talking in the last episode of the first season, the one i always wondered what was he talking about was in this episode
5/5
HawthorneKitty said:

On a side note I think Yuki needs a wind dragon familiar, dunno why.

thats cause yuki resembles tabitha of zero no tsukaima who has wind dragon familiar

uh no it was in the first ep with her hair montage

anyway looking forward to the cat
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Sep 6, 2009 7:09 AM

Feb 2008
'k, so I really wanted to see Kyon smack Haruhi. >>

Preferably, nice and hard. And with plenty of dramatic facial expressions afterward, as a bonus.
ohai
Sep 6, 2009 11:01 AM

Aug 2007
I almost fell asleep at the first part, but when they started with the sake-drunk Mikuru and were arguing, it actually got interesting. Pretty interesting, if I have to say so. Would have been cooler if Kyon actually slapped or punched Haruhi. She deserved it. Anyhow, a faint sign of interest in Haruhi from Kyon this episode.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Sep 6, 2009 11:47 AM

Jul 2008
next week is The last episode of Sigh.
Sep 6, 2009 12:36 PM

Sep 2008
alright episode, nothing more than that...

Don't think I laughed once through the whole episode but some scenes were interesting enough
Sep 6, 2009 6:51 PM

Aug 2008
Just I expected.... People... You're reactions are just as I thought they would be!! I've read this part of the Novels... I've watched the whole Season without complaints... Besides Kyon's stupidness.... I Love Haruhi as much I love to eat... Well... This episode definitely proved me that tings can go wild in an instant... We saw what makes Haruhi (the character) different from others.... Why I love her and this anime itself...

I'm either in Kyon's or Haruhi's side.... I'm just a watcher like Yuki... The movie is unreasonable since the beginning so I'm not surprised why Haruhi decided to do all that stuff... Makin' Mikuru look moe, Koizumi appearing suddenly and saving Mikuru, shooting that unreasonable and unlikable romantic/love scene in Tsuruya's room obviously provoked Kyon's angry reaction

But let's face it... We can't easily explain that easily what happens in TMoHS.... The characterization and the relationship between them is quite rich... Is quite like a real life group of High School Teenagers, just with a bunch of supernatural events randomly thrown in their lives.... Why I tell you all this crap? Well because we obviously need to understand that the reactions and actions of all the characters are pretty human... Humans are like Haruhi, are like Kyon, are like Tsuruya, are like Mikuru, are like Koizumi... The only character that doesn't fit a human behavior is Yuki, but that's because she's a robot and that's enough to put her aside in this case... any way that makes her so cool too.

So... Haruhi is selfish... is egoistical.... and also has this caring side... loves to have fun... Is a girl.... Heck... Who hasn't seen a girl like her?! Tell me please if you haven't! XD

Mikuru is like the best friend of that egoistical girl that likes to be proud, shows that she's more than any other, makes less everyone less... Let's face it... Mikuru just withstands Haruhi harassing because she doesn't want to face Haruhi by herself and tell her the truth aand show Haruhi the reality.... Aren't any of you like that?

Then.... Koizumi fears for the sake of everyone.... quite a kind way to put it ne? Well he fears for himself too.. and just as someone already said in this thread... He's scared of what they're (Kyon and Haruhi) able to do... He just speaks lots of unnecessary words... We already know that man... Well it's good you just point them out... But just keep it short... Anyway... It was great he stopped Kyon, if not I dunno what could have happened after...

Tsuruya is just playing around... She thought it was fun to follow Haruhi around... She can easily be like Haruhi... Just worst.... We don't really know her true intentions... Then let's just leave her as a mystery character that will have a bigger role in the plot later...

And well... Finally e have Kyon.... He's obviously n love of Mikuru... Or at least he's in love of her looks and her personality... In fact I feel that Mikuru is like all because she's the decisive factor in the future of the series... I mean, she will decide what Kyon really wants... Quite crazy ne? But Kyon is really hard to read... He's sarcastic all the time, and with Haruhi he's all hazy and insecure around her... Kyon is the problem of the series... When he makes up his mind, this will definitely take a different course... This will definitely end... Meanwhile we saw him react in the heat of the moment and he was going to do a stupid thing again... This time the reactions of this sole action are unknown for us this time all because he was stopped...I'd rather shook her instead of punching her... HE just lost it for a while... His coolness factor plummeted down in the charts for sure...

Oh well...Haruhi + Kyon relationship is kewl and amazing to watch... I totally loved this episode... By far one of the best of S2.... There's still a lot to come peps... Lol at Haruhi trying to do her hair in a ponytail at the end of this episode... YAY!!! Next time is Shamisen's turn to come!!

Signs,
Green

PS: Forgive me for my mindless rant... But I just started to write down my thoughts just after I read all the thread and you made me think of all this stuff... *bows*
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2009 7:48 PM

Jul 2008
If Koizumi wouldn't have stopped Kyon then Kyon would have become my greatest hero.
Sep 6, 2009 7:57 PM

Oct 2008
Seven77 said:
This episode made me rage far more than Endless Eight. Haruhi S2 is a conspiracy. It's a social experiment on the emotions of otakus.
This is my opinion.
Sep 6, 2009 8:57 PM
Jul 2009
Crump said:
'k, so I really wanted to see Kyon smack Haruhi. >>

Preferably, nice and hard. And with plenty of dramatic facial expressions afterward, as a bonus.

Everything is better in slow motion....
Sep 6, 2009 9:22 PM
Apr 2009
If Kyon was able to connect a fist onto Haruhi I would say that it was my favourite scene in any anime ever

To bad he was stopped
Sep 6, 2009 9:29 PM

Jul 2008
Slowdude said:
If Kyon was able to connect a fist onto Haruhi I would say that it was my favourite scene in any anime ever

To bad he was stopped

Fuck yeah.
Sep 6, 2009 9:34 PM

Feb 2008
i think one thing to realize is that none of them are allowed to refuse her except for kyon. whats even more interesting is that because none of them can refuse her, they will always stop kyon whenever he goes against her completely. every single one of them work to balance the system out, which ultimately brings Haruhi to a point that is basic and stable. no matter how far she goes all four of them will always act to bring her back down. in the end you cant fault haruhi for acting the way she does since its probably inherently her nature.

she can never act the way she does outside of the brigade members. its even amazing that outsiders were even brought in within the interactions.

its my guess that if he had actually hit her, she might have wished him out of existence, or worse...

it seems to be that the other tree are more for physical aspects of haruhi's powers where as kyon acts on the emotional aspect of her powers.
kisamiSep 6, 2009 9:39 PM
Sep 6, 2009 10:20 PM

Sep 2008
kisami said:
in the end you cant fault haruhi for acting the way she does since its probably inherently her nature.
That's almost like saying if I was a huge bully and continued to put people down or what not. Nobody can blame me for doind such things though, it's my nature to do so.

We can criticize actions though, regardless of if it was the natural/expected outcome of the individual.
Sep 6, 2009 10:57 PM

Jun 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
kisami said:
in the end you cant fault haruhi for acting the way she does since its probably inherently her nature.
That's almost like saying if I was a huge bully and continued to put people down or what not. Nobody can blame me for doind such things though, it's my nature to do so.

We can criticize actions though, regardless of if it was the natural/expected outcome of the individual.

You know, your basically repeating yourself. And, once again, your twisting someones words.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 7, 2009 12:35 AM

Jan 2009
  • Kyon's great, as usual (or well, a little less great than usual)
  • Haruhi's great, as usual
  • Yuki's great, as usual
  • Koizumi is great, as usual
  • Mikuru is less great, as usual
  • And Tsuruya is awesome : D (And she's got an awesome house : O)

Hmm heated discussion there : o But it's resolved, in the simplest possible way xD
And that's it for this post xD
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Sep 7, 2009 12:38 AM

Apr 2007
Damn Koizumi getting in the way...

Haruhi is cute and awesome and whatever but sometimes she needs a good slapping. I just wish Koizumi wasnt such a wuss (oh, were all going to die if you do that! -whiny voice-)

I think Yuki should just put Haruhi in stasis for a million million years. She doesnt die so the world doesnt end but everyone gets to go on with their lives.
Blergh.
Sep 7, 2009 1:56 AM

Jul 2009
I viewed two things in this episode as utterly hilarious.

One: the argument.
Two: drunk mikuru.

| Nothing is at it seems. |
Sep 7, 2009 2:05 AM

Aug 2009
haha, yeah she didn't need much to get drunk. damn, haruhi is cruel.
Sep 7, 2009 3:44 AM

Jan 2007
This was an amazing episode. So intense was the drama between Haruhi and Kyon. I loved how Haruhi was putting her hair up in a ponytail when Kyon walked into the club room. And drunk Mikuru was fabulous.
Sep 7, 2009 9:00 AM

May 2008
Lol, Haruhi almost get bitch-slapped by Kyon. Luckily, Koizumi stopped Kyon it would be too harsh. Though, Kyon was right but still I see no reason to want hit a girl.
Sep 7, 2009 12:17 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Brilliant episode.

The scene in Tsuru-chan's room was quite creepy. And yes, the interrupted ponytail was great, too.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 7, 2009 12:18 PM

Jul 2009
Fabrice said:
Lol, Haruhi almost get bitch-slapped by Kyon. Luckily, Koizumi stopped Kyon it would be too harsh. Though, Kyon was right but still I see no reason to want hit a girl.

To be fair if I saw my true love mikuru being bullied in front of me I think I would rage too
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Sep 7, 2009 12:34 PM
Feb 2009
Great episode and intense as well. But i don't really get why are you bashing Haruhi so much, she is kind of spoiled child, i know but he didn't commit a crime after all.
Sep 7, 2009 12:36 PM

Jul 2009
phgmalion said:
Great episode and intense as well. But i don't really get why are you bashing Haruhi so much, she is kind of spoiled child, i know but he didn't commit a crime after all.

your the one calling her a him
Sep 7, 2009 2:31 PM

Jan 2009
He should have just bitch slapped the freaking hell out off haruhi, damm i really do hate her now after this ep. To bad that pussy (koizumi) stopped Kyon from delivering Divine Justice to the heathen.
Sep 7, 2009 2:50 PM

Aug 2009
legolas66106 said:
He should have just bitch slapped the freaking hell out off haruhi, damm i really do hate her now after this ep. To bad that pussy (koizumi) stopped Kyon from delivering Divine Justice to the heathen.

Harsh xD. But i like your point of view ^^
Sep 7, 2009 2:54 PM

Jul 2008
Wowww. That was... I wasn't expecting that at all.

My first thought was to start raging on the forums about how the show was getting mundane... but that argument scene made me eat my words before they were even uttered. /So cool/.

This episode also made me like Mikuru finally. :D
Sep 7, 2009 3:43 PM

Feb 2008
Great episode! That emotional drama surprised me. Im very satisfied. ^^

I read all the 10 pages so far, but no one has actually mentioned why Kyon felt the need to actually "kind of" apologize to Haruhi. He is not that kind of person who would do this because he fears her rage. He does it because he thinks he was wrong. Why?

Well, as far as I understand it, from the conversation with his classmate, Kyon realised that all he was doing so far was complaining and thinking of this movie as "a failure from the start". Actually Haruhi was the only one really dedicated to the movie. She was pretty alone arranging everything (... she didnt tell anyone of her plans regarding the movie, because she nearly had no idea how to proceed and just went with the flow. Although she would never admit that of course).
So, I interpret her offending behaviour as a subconcious "exclamation for help":
"Please play a part in this", "Dont just do as you are told, contribute already and give me advice!", "I need you to give me ideas and help me making this into a success".
Thats also why she was so happy when the "laughing girl"(forgot her name) did suggest to film at her house. That inspired her.

At the end Kyon realises that Haruhi needs active support instead of passive denial. Therefore he tells her that "the movie will definitely be a success". With this he says that from now on he will believe in it (her).

PS: Nevertheless, a little slap would have been nice. :P
FTGTSep 7, 2009 3:49 PM
Sep 7, 2009 3:53 PM

Jun 2009
@FTGT. What you say may be true. It's fairly obvious that, out of all the people around her, Haruhi certainly "values" Kyon more. And, if your right, it worked to get his attention.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 7, 2009 4:06 PM

Jul 2009
Even though I find Kyon's intention to hit Haruhi with a clutched fist to bit a bit over the top, you must sagree the guy got some guts.

Well it's very cowardly to hit someone who is much weaker than yourself (be that a girl or not) but as we all know Haruhi is far from "weak" in a manner of speaking.

What if he would have hit her and she decided that she hate him and want him to die in some gruesome and horrific way?

Since she herself is completely oblivious to her powers, she could easily kill him while crying at home and think what an a** he is.

I wonder if that thought ever crossed his mind.
Sep 7, 2009 7:47 PM

Jul 2008
doesn't it seem like he's flirting?

even though haruhi was bitchy this episode, i still feel bad for her

i love how he catches her do stuff!
Sep 7, 2009 8:06 PM

Jul 2009
psychoplast said:
decent ep, although i feel as if this season is really not planned well. WELL OBVIOUSLY, but u know, ending the episode with "do you know where to find any stray cats" was..iono am i the only one that feels that eps usually end with some sort of conclusion or cliffhanger?. It seems like these eps just connect, u can put em together and just make a long 4 ep long movie with them...no real intro or ending.. Oh well, at least we're getting some decent eps in s2..

.......................................................wut?
Sep 7, 2009 9:20 PM

Jan 2009
hell yeah, no doubt that haruhi started to become a bitch!!!, somebody should of slapped her from the beginning….treating asahina like trash…..shiiiit….

I thought Kyon was really going to smack Haruhi. (SMACK MY BITCH UP)
But once again I got my hopes too high.

Sep 7, 2009 9:42 PM

Jun 2009
psychoplast said:
decent ep, although i feel as if this season is really not planned well. WELL OBVIOUSLY, but u know, ending the episode with "do you know where to find any stray cats" was..iono am i the only one that feels that eps usually end with some sort of conclusion or cliffhanger?. It seems like these eps just connect, u can put em together and just make a long 4 ep long movie with them...no real intro or ending.. Oh well, at least we're getting some decent eps in s2..

I honestly have no idea what the hell your talking about.

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 7, 2009 9:52 PM

Mar 2008
sorry couldnt really explain well lol, i meant that i dont like the abrupt ends to these eps...as if the episode could have ended anywhere and it would have the same effect.

Sep 7, 2009 10:18 PM

Jun 2009
psychoplast said:
sorry couldnt really explain well lol, i meant that i dont like the abrupt ends to these eps...as if the episode could have ended anywhere and it would have the same effect.

That's just the nature of a story like this. I'm sure Disappearance will be the same way, and not every episode needs to have a cliff hanger.

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 8, 2009 1:14 AM

Sep 2007
I agree with him though. It was like they just cut to the ED in the middle of a dialogue. Felt weird (in a bad way).
Sep 8, 2009 1:54 AM

Jun 2009
Spade said:
I agree with him though. It was like they just cut to the ED in the middle of a dialogue. Felt weird (in a bad way).

I didn't notice this but, when I rewatch, I'll check it out.

- Geralt of Rivia
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 10, 2009

293 by AbrahamGAGA2002 »»
Yesterday, 11:42 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Fabrice - Jun 18, 2009

204 by Timeline_man »»
Jun 6, 9:44 AM

» Sign here if you watch all eight episodes of Endless Eight. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shuffleair - Aug 13, 2009

1540 by nicosb2810 »»
Jun 5, 7:43 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CinemaZebra - Aug 5, 2009

536 by Zucned »»
May 7, 2:46 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kappaka - May 21, 2009

449 by Ryan_the_Bread »»
Mar 30, 1:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.