Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Dec 26, 2017 8:45 PM

Sep 2013
The narration was the best part.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Apr 28, 2018 4:13 AM
Feb 2018
ugh
they really think we care about how the movie turned out when we've already watched 3 boring as shit episodes on how it was filmed? i think we already had a pretty good idea about what it was gonna be like after all the details they gave us in 8, 9 and 10
just get on with the actual story already
May 26, 2019 8:28 PM
Apr 2018
I think I'm at my limit with Haruhi's bullshit. Forces Mikuru, also Yuki, to wear that crap outfit, for some reason stops Kyon from having a drink (?!), this whole movie crap. I mean, I liked how it turned out, but Haruhi is too annoying. I can understand why no one talks to her now.
Jan 29, 2020 4:32 AM

Feb 2019
That was so much fun. Brings back the vibe of season 1.
Jun 18, 2020 3:07 PM

Aug 2014
so far, the first 2 episodes of Sigh have been zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Oct 26, 2020 8:16 PM

Mar 2020
Pretty boring episode. The only reason I feel compelled to comment on it is because that cutaway on the roof was really funny.

I don't get why we need to be shown how the movie turned out. From what we got to see it was pretty obvious that the production was as amateur as they come. I also don't understand why the special effects were so basic if Yuki was doing the editing, or why Kyon always commented on the camera panning away (since he was the one who was doing the recording). If I was going by broadcast order and had to watch this as the first episode, then I probably wouldn't bother with the rest of this show to be honest.

I guess since I'm technically back to watching season 1 I can finally give my opinion on season 2. I didn't like it. I'm surprised that the sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya was the second light novel in the series, since I thought it would have come out way later when the series began to lose its steam. The experimentation is nice and all, but what matters in the end is execution, which is what the sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya and the endless 8 both failed at. On the subject of the endless eight, what in the actual fuck were Kyoani thinking when they decided to dedicate more than half of the season to a single chapter. From what I've gathered, the light novel and the manga only focus on the final loop, which is why the decision to go the full mile is even more baffling.

4/10. I had originally planned to use the rating of season 2 to summarise my entire opinion on this series, but I don't think it does enough justice to season 1, so I'll be rating that one when I'm finished with it as well. I hope the disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya makes up for how much of a let down this season has been.
Jan 10, 2021 4:13 PM
Jun 2020
THIS EPISODE IT'S A MASTERPIECE!
Mar 17, 2021 6:30 PM

Jun 2014
This was "Episode 00" for me.

We got to see the entire finished movie that Haruhi made, and best of all, this was made during the first season, so it had the classic character designs. It was quite hilarious.

May 11, 2021 10:51 PM

Jan 2019
I don't think I realized till now how wild it would be to watch in release order- with the movie episode being the very first one... made respect for everyone who dealt with that in 2006.

As for me, I'm content watching this after the whole Sighs arc finished.
Jul 27, 2021 2:51 AM

Aug 2020
[chronological order]

Well, we finally get to watch the movie. Great and was as expected. Okay, so basically the narration for the movie was an inception fourth wall break?

I can't believe this episode (Episode 00) was the first episode back in season 1. I'm kinda glad that I'm watching in chronological order. I was expecting the watch order to be caused by the time travel, but really it's just the show's creator putting this show out of order.

Well, since the movie is done, things are going to get serious. Especially how this show's sequel title is called: "The disappearance of haruhi suzumiya". Did she just wish to disappear from the world? "Poof" And gone. Best way to get off the grid.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Jul 30, 2021 1:12 PM

Jan 2020
It was super cool seeing the final product of the movie after seeing how much time they spent making it. Especially that this was the first episode.

This was definitely an interesting experience

Sep 24, 2021 5:32 AM

Feb 2014
That was hilarious.

Reminded me of the Rocket Power low budget movie episode.
Dec 27, 2021 8:44 PM

May 2020
[CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER]

LMAO that commercial they were doing, poor Mikuru. And yeah as expected there's no script whatsoever.
Feb 1, 2022 3:51 PM

Dec 2007
at first i thought the setting was too quiet, or maybe to ordinary.
but as the story kept going, i just saw that harui wants to make her "own" world, she kind succeeded in that lol.

seeing kyon and haruhi reactions is priceless, considering we already "saw" the movie in s1.
Oct 23, 2022 4:55 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Haruhi was completely insufferable throughout this episode. I get that it's kind of the point, but come on.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Jan 14, 2023 2:10 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00

I'M SORRY I TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID ABOUT THEM NOT SHOWING US THE MOVIE, IT WAS HERE THE WHOLE TIME, AND A WHOLE EPISODE AT THAT!!!

...although I still wish they'd had limited it to like 5 minutes or less and shoved in the previous episode. This really started to drag on for a bit too long and I quickly started skimming through it if I'm being honest here. What's funny is that I realized that if you watch this in the chronological order like I am doing right now, you legit go from the LAST episode aired (Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V), to the FIRST one (this episode). Which got me thinking, does it really matter what order you watch it in be it chronological or broadcast, as long as you watch each of the arcs together? Like I feel like you could watch the Endless Eight at any time, or the Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya at any time, as well as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (this one was broadcast really weird, it still was broadcast in ORDER, but they threw in random episodes in between them at random times. Those episodes that were inserted I'm sure you can watch at any time, which chronologically, a number of them happen last, and are the ones I am about to watch). I've noticed that there are subtle beats strewn about that suggest that despite evidence to the contrary, the broadcast order remains the most cohesive and fluid way to watch it. I'm talking about little things, like at the end of this episode where Haruhi Suzumiya turns her head with the sparkling sound effect and we see her face for the "first" time. Like her head turn wouldn't have been handled in that way had we already seen her face before, so this really does work as the first episode despite it being the showcase of the movie which is the result of the arc that was broadcast LAST. Actually f*ck it, it's too much to think about. If anyone asks me, I'll just say, it doesn't f*cking matter. Just watch all of the episodes, in any order you so damn please. It's not like there's any true cohesion, any true overarching narrative that pulls it all together now, is there??

And yeah man if this WAS the first episode I watched, it'd be an instant "wtf?" and then an instant drop. This is way more tolerable if watched AFTER The Sigh of Haruhi. Anyway, onto the final 3 episodes, those being: "Live Alive" (12th episode broadcasted), then "The Day of Saggitarius" (11th broadcasted), and then finally "Someday in the Rain" (9th broadcasted), which those who watched this in broadcast order have seen right after the 2nd part of "Remote Island Syndrome, and then proceeding to Part 4 of The Melancholy of Haruhi". Man I don't get this at all. I'm just happy that I'm 3 episodes away from finally reaching The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya; which, hopefully, will be worth all the pain I had to get through. 

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 31, 2023 5:36 PM

Dec 2007
rewatch- chronological- ep25

i actually wanted to go to sleep, but not watching ep00, meaning, the movie itself, felt kinda pointless not to do after the sigh after. where this all arc come together.

you can see that there's some changes from the sigh arc to the actual movie, such as kizumi's house scenes. but oh well. lol
i do wonder though when they shot mikuru getting undressed. but then again, it could have been when haruhi went to get her. . .

you cannot say it was great movie. but in a way, it's projecting fine haruhi's thoughts on the SOS dan club.
May 31, 2023 5:36 PM

Dec 2007

i actually wanted to go to sleep, but not watching ep00, meaning, the movie itself, felt kinda pointless not to do after the sigh after. where this all arc come together.

you can see that there's some changes from the sigh arc to the actual movie, such as kizumi's house scenes. but oh well. lol
i do wonder though when they shot mikuru getting undressed. but then again, it could have been when haruhi went to get her. . .

you cannot say it was great movie. but in a way, it's projecting fine haruhi's thoughts on the SOS dan club.
May 31, 2023 5:38 PM

Dec 2007

Oct 19, 2023 3:36 PM
May 2023
the best series in all two seasons. Really deserves an Oscar
Feb 18, 10:30 PM
Feb 2021
The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00 - Chronological Order
OH MY GOD!? You’re telling me this is the first episode of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya they aired on television!? THATS INSANE! I loved this episode! It’s super funny with Kyons narration. I loved loved LOVED the animation style for this episode with it’s grainy, old look. This is such a unique anime. This episode was HILARIOUS. Beats all other episodes before this one… its definitely up there with my favorite episodes of this anime.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Fabrice - Jun 18, 2009

203 by jonnenen »»
Yesterday, 9:52 AM

» Sign here if you watch all eight episodes of Endless Eight. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shuffleair - Aug 13, 2009

1539 by onirosama »»
May 19, 10:40 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CinemaZebra - Aug 5, 2009

536 by Zucned »»
May 7, 2:46 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 10, 2009

292 by Generose »»
Apr 12, 11:11 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kappaka - May 21, 2009

449 by Ryan_the_Bread »»
Mar 30, 1:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.