Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 31, 2017 3:29 PM

Aug 2012
It's nice to get a backstory on Ritsuko. The inside of that computer with all the notes and her mom's brain is very cool!! Didn't get to see the kids much except them being nude xD
Jan 31, 2017 3:57 PM

Dec 2015
@SummerIchigo The "my mother is in this computer" is an image, the brain we see can't be Naoko's own brain, it's rather a "construction". (see later episode)

edit @Dawnflame There is nothing about Naoko's brain. XC The supercomputer is simply made of three parts debating between themselves to reach a consensus, those parts based on Naoko's vision of herself: a woman, a lover, a mother.

@ShadowZ_AnimeZ The MAGI supercomputer has not one part of it being Akagi Kyoko. She "simply" imprinted the three parts with three different aspects of her personality: the scientist, the woman and the mother.

@JeremiahOrange Akagi being entirely devoted to her object of affection, she could never be part of a "harem". XD
Also, good point on the parental issue, though neither Kaji nor Gendô or Fuyutsuki have shown such thing till now.

@ErnaGhoul Programs?

February 1, 2019
ErnaGhoul said:
@ErnaGhoul Programs?

I mean the computers that caught virus.[/quote]
Oh, well, it's Magi, the three persona computer. If I remember well enough, it was named almost from beginning and we saw it in action several times. This episode was an occasion to give a bit more context to it. (sorry if I am mistaking episodes)

July 14, 2020
maiawatchesanime said:
Does everyone in this show have parent issues ?

Almost ! And every character has issues. ;)

January 2, 2021
@Code0018 They didn't "put" her actual brain inside, she made the three parts of the bio-computer by "copying" (transplanting/coding in) what she saw as the three parts of her personality.
Rei_IIIJan 3, 2021 2:04 AM
Apr 26, 2017 10:27 PM

Jun 2016
Okay yes, there was a lot of technical mumbojumbo, that really didn't mean anything, but thanks to good direction they managed to still have me engaged.

I wonder what that thing about Ritsuko's mother's brain is...
Sep 17, 2017 4:10 PM

Jan 2016
boring and predictable as always, 13 episodes in and still nothing that interesting happened yet, what a disappointment.
Oct 7, 2017 2:33 AM

May 2016
Great episode I like those hacking stuff so basically, the angel was in micro size, these guys have a really tough job.
Nov 4, 2017 4:41 PM

Jan 2010
JuicyBuddha said:
The "sci fi" aspects of this episode were retarded and insulting to my intelligence. First of all, there's no way a machine can "evolve" because evolution is only possible for living things.

That's wrong. If you have a little knowledge of computer science you should know that there are some forms of artificial intelligence that can evolve. Search for genetic programming or particle swarm optimization and you will find out that machines can also evolve.

This episode made a lot of sense from a programmer's perspective. Also when they say in the show that the last stage of evolution is death I think what they mean (and this was already mentioned in this thread) is that the evolution always has two paths one where the being adapts to the environment and is able to survive and another where it just can't adapt and just dies (this is indeed the "ending" path).

In this case Ritsuko was able to reprogram magi to counter the Angel attack and the Angel simply couldn't adapt to this change ending dying.

This is really interesting seeing an anime exploring this kinda advanced programming stuff (even the c style code excerpts were awesome to see), especially in an anime released more than 20 years ago (Ghost in the Shell is another that also explores some of this stuff if I recall).
Nov 12, 2017 9:27 AM
Jul 2017
kungfutornado said:
Was the nudity neccessary? It seemed totally random, just another reason to see boobs..
I liked the rest of the episode though, the part with the brain was cool

search what a sterile room is and then write your comment again
Jan 4, 2018 9:11 PM
Jul 2017
Very confusing... the most uninteresting episode yet imo...

However, still a decent series thus far.
Jan 23, 2018 8:40 AM

Apr 2015
So the Angels aren't just some mindless beasts...they can evolve themselves into hackers. God is a cruel being for making humanity deal with this.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 15, 2018 5:50 AM
Jan 2018
A hard sci-fi plot, an angel unlike any other we’ve met before, a thriller-like pacing and directing, we get some background on Akagi… and Shinji, Rei and Asuka are naked for most of the ep.
Just fantastic~
Feb 17, 2018 10:57 AM

Mar 2016
Besides the fact that the 3 supercomputers are organic with one of them being Ritsuko's mom?! This episode is not too thrilling or fun...
The angels can evolve so much to the point that they could hack the NERV HQ. Scary ability right there!
Feb 18, 2018 6:16 AM

Mar 2016
@ShadowZ_AnimeZ The MAGI supercomputer has not one part of it being Akagi Kyoko. She "simply" imprinted the three parts with three different aspects of her personality: the scientist, the woman and the mother.[/quote]

Alright, thanks for the info...
Mar 8, 2018 1:39 AM

Sep 2017
This was a pretty good episode they made without EVA.

There was naked piloting. Wonder how the three pilots walked from one end of room to another without sneaking a peek at other's goods.

But Akagi is seriously good in this. She predicted that she would have a second extra for finishing the AI.

But I have a feeling that there is a traitor among them. Some angel can't just sneak into a facility which is like 1 km below surface level. Even the fact that it was noticed only just now turned on all alarms.

Also, Commander Ikari asked for Unit 1 to be saved rather than anything else. Wonder why?

Kaji is such a crybaby. He is running away from danger all the time. If that's the case, how did he become a harem protagonist(In case you haven't figured it out: Misato, Akagi and Asuke).

I just hope Rei is okay(#OneTrueWaifu).

But whoa, seems like every character in this series has parental issues. EVERY CHARACTER. Bet the shrinks would have a field day with this cast.
JeremiahOrangeMar 8, 2018 1:47 AM

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 17, 2018 5:01 AM

Feb 2018
Didn't quite understand what happened to Rei, did her Eva get hacked?
Where were the kids while all the hacking was going on? Just safe in their Evas?
It was a dramatic episode, although not one of the best ones.
Aug 26, 2018 12:32 PM

Feb 2017
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
Where were the kids while all the hacking was going on? Just safe in their Evas?
They were ejected from the facility. At the end of the episode, you see them in a field or a lake waiting to be rescued.
Dec 14, 2018 11:46 AM

Aug 2013
An okay episode I guess.

Jan 9, 2019 7:05 PM
Jan 2019
Cyberpunk!
It's a nice episode to explain a little bit of NERV and how their system works, nothing to special about this one as the focus is more on the secondary characters scpecialy Ritsuko but nice to create a background story.
Jan 31, 2019 8:50 AM

Jan 2015
What the hell are these programs? Very pointless episode.
Feb 1, 2019 9:29 AM

Jan 2015
@ErnaGhoul Programs?[/quote]
I mean the computers that caught virus.
Apr 23, 2019 8:25 AM

May 2016
It's pretty ironic that the cleanest sector in HQ where it's imperative that anyone who enters it decontaminate themselves without clothing even after they've showered several times beforehand to be the site of contamination by a very unusual parasite-type Angel. They nearly hacked the supercomputers and rigged them to blow up but it's a good thing that Ritsuko got the situation under control at the very last second partly thanks to the notes her mother had left lying within the heart of the Magi system.

They really had a close call this time! Kaji's suspicious as usual.

May 16, 2019 5:22 PM
Apr 2016
Well goddamn, some angels sure are intelligent, really. Oh my, all three had to go without clothes, haha. Good episode.
Jun 1, 2019 7:18 PM

Dec 2018
Not my favorite episode but I like getting more backstory.
Jul 9, 2019 8:18 PM

Jul 2009
Ritsuko centric episode! Glad we get to learn more about her past just like Misato's last episode.

Didn't know that her mother developed the Magi system. That'd probably took decades to create. It'll be interesting if we can see her mother in a future episode!
Aug 3, 2019 1:26 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I love this episode so much. Even back in the day, when I first saw Evangelion, I thought this was special. First, we get Ritsuko's chance to shine, she's a very important yet underrated character in Evangelion. Secondly, we hardly see the EVA's at all which makes for a nice change of pace. It's also got a sci-fi quality that the series sometimes forgets.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 6, 2019 2:10 AM

Oct 2012
I don't know what they just did, but ok :P
It's really vague what happened first, how did the Angel invade
And how by connecting to the central or brain of Casper (or "woman" part) Ritsuko able to destroy the Angel

Oh well, maybe it's not that important
"Signature removed"
Oct 28, 2019 3:48 PM

Nov 2017
Not much screen time for the Evangelion trinity this episode. Not that it was a bad thing 'cause Ritsuko got some character development in the meantime. I like how every angel is complete different from the previous one and they have to find other ways to stop 'em
Nov 7, 2019 7:06 PM

Sep 2011
I was not a big fan of this "hacker" thing, and the more sci-fi theme, but it was still a good episode. At least it was nice to see more about Ritsuko.
Nov 23, 2019 8:18 PM

Sep 2017
This was literally the best episode of the entire show thus far because
a) it involved coding
b) it didn't involve any of the annoying tweens
Mar 29, 2020 3:48 PM

Jan 2014
This might be my favorite episode yet!
Very suspenful, the fact that the EVA were not central to this episode's plot was a nice change of pace, and the shine on Ritsuko was welcomed... I like her confidence and abilities!

I questioned Angels since the very beginning, and I am dying to know what they really are... And this episode might hint at something that i was thinking about lately... He could "evolve", he was made of microscopic entities that resembled bacteria... But it was able to crack Magi like an AI... Could It be a new type of sentient organic being?
Plus could It be they are looking for Adam?
The fact that they seem to attack exclusively NERV could be because Nerv has some secret agenda regarding Adam...
Jul 13, 2020 2:27 PM

Feb 2020
for an episode centred around computers and programming etc, how tense was that wow

but i love the attention to detail in this episode, all the paperwork, the computers, the piping etc. this show is full of amazing art and it's wonderful to see

also does everyone in this show have parent issues because dang

also also!! a character called maya (close enough)!! love it!!
Aug 2, 2020 3:20 PM

Dec 2010
I'm actually not surprised by this anymore, but it's impressive how this show can keep such levels of intensity without even involving the EVAs or their pilots.
Oct 11, 2020 1:20 AM

Aug 2018
This is pretty hard to fully understand episode, not everything really makes sence here but nevertheless it is a good episode that just isn't gonna be liked by everyone , this includes big evangelion fans.
Nov 3, 2020 3:50 AM

Dec 2012
Magi.
Ritsuko's mother made Magi.
Dat corrosion.
Rei.
An AT field?
An Angel.
Gendo.
Kaji.
Shinka?
Its going to infiltrate the Magi.
Melchior got taken over.
Dem notes.
Ikari, you jerk.
Her mothers personality is in Magi.
Her mothers brain.
Self-destruct.
At the buzzer!
Dat ending.

Ritsuko's mom called Gendo a baka. You know what that means.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Dec 27, 2020 5:31 AM
Mar 2019
One thing I'm curious about: Ikari saying that Unit 01 is top priority and the other two can be sacrificed. I wonder why? Does he mean the Eva or Shinji? And is it because Unit 01 is the most crucial in saving mankind or is it something else?

@Rei_III Yeah I figured after watching a few more episodes, thanks!
reiawnsDec 30, 2020 3:54 AM
What comes around goes around
What goes around comes around
Until the day
Jan 1, 2021 11:28 PM

Aug 2019
wow that was actually really interesting. Compared to all these other angels that can, multiply, shoot death rays, spit corrosive acid or straight up explode, one that constantly evolves and cannot be seen to the human eye is probably the most scariest. I legitimately thought that this was the end for NERV, an angel that could physically spread through objects, then evolve to enter programming and operating systems, an angel where brute force action would not work.

Although this was a pretty chaotic episode, it was also a good way to drop some Ritsuko background lore on us, and Magi information. So her mother design and created Magi, using her brain to give it a practically AI function, breaking it down into 3 separate systems that all have different programming to solve, calculate and conclude on problems? Honestly i love how detailed and in depth the authors made the Magi system, super interesting shit and one of the reason i love the sci-fi far future genre, for it's ability to be so open to creative ideas.

Only question is, they state Magi uses Ritsuko's mom's brain, and in the 3rd system, Casper, we can clearly see one. But how does it work? Did they split her brain into 3 parts, putting each one in a different part of the system? Clone her brain? Or is her brain in one of them, and the other 3 are artificial or someone else's, that they've just overwritten with her brain?

Rei_III said:

@Code0018 They didn't "put" her actual brain inside, she made the three parts of the bio-computer by "copying" (transplanting/coding in) what she saw as the three parts of her personality.

ahhh ok that makes a lot more sense.

Many thanks!
Code0018Jan 5, 2021 8:54 PM
Mar 9, 2021 11:19 AM

Mar 2010
Nice we get a episode on Ritsuko
Mar 26, 2021 12:41 AM

Jun 2020
Why doesn't NERV want the public to know about the angels and even the Second Impact?
May 7, 2021 2:15 PM

Apr 2021
That happened.
4/5
May 22, 2021 5:38 PM
Jul 2018
A tame episode. One that I wasn't really engaged with and had to force myself to watch. Wasn't as interesting.

I certainly admire the diversity they're giving the angels though. It's a unique and equally gripping/threatening plot. I simply don't care for the blonde scientist woman too much hehe, or whatever her dilemmas are. But it's good to see how formidable the HQ is.
Jun 7, 2021 4:42 AM
May 2012
That was pretty intense. Good voice acting.
Jul 25, 2021 12:39 AM
Jul 2021
Every protagonist has a support team, people who keep them alive and kicking during the battles. Every series needs an episode where the supporting cast shows why exactly they are needed, and this episode delivers.

The support staff all do their job superbly, and the VA's all do a good job of showcasing the panic their characters would have in the situation, giving the audience a good view of how bad the situation actually is.

Our trio of pilots are sidelined, but that's completely fine. There was good pacing and tension all throughout this episode despite the lack of EVA combat. On a side-note, I wonder if Commander Ikari wanted his son's EVA spared first because Shinji is his son or his best pilot?
Jul 26, 2021 5:30 PM
Sep 2019
probably my least favorite episode so far, the concept wasn't interesting to me and confusing at times. hopefully it picks back up after this because goddamn this episode felt like a complete drag.
Nov 8, 2021 7:15 AM

Aug 2020
We are halfway through the series. I've got to say; it's been boring. Also, for these 13 episodes that we watched, nothing has been eye-catching for this show to be considered to be a masterpiece or to have such a high rating. Just being hopeful that the second half gets better.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 24, 2021 9:25 AM
Nov 2020
This is another one of my favourite episodes. The tension is palpable. And I also like that the secondary characters are all developed with backstory as well.
Dec 15, 2021 3:50 PM

May 2019
Oooo did Ritsuko's mom design/become the Magi? Fascinating. Amazing facet of the story, the three aspects of the Magi.

Rei has tried to go after the NERV people (unintentionally) twice now.

As news of the angel infiltrating is happening Gendo is ominously coming up from behind. Creepy. Also, reporting the alarm is faulty to the government so they won't think NERV is compromised. Oh this guy.

And what the hell is Kaji up to, he's shady.

When they're on the computers with all the cables that's how those LAN party kids were lol.
Dec 28, 2021 9:43 AM

Oct 2019
I really liked this episode. It's clear that the main purpose was to develop Ritsuko, and it's good that they took their time to develop not only the main characters but the support characters too. It was also interesting, lore-wise, to have a broad idea of the computer technology that holds their entire operation and facility.

I also think it was pretty damn well executed... they were combating an Angel once again, but the format was completely different, and they managed to make an entire episode about combating a virus infection into something quite intense.

Even though much of the complexity about it was certainly artificial (in a sense that it wasn't really accurate when it comes to computer science), I think the execution was super clever.
Jan 2, 2022 11:00 AM

Jul 2021
It was a good episode.
It was an episode more focused on Ritsuko and her life story and motivations.
asdasdsadad
Jan 12, 2022 6:02 PM

Jan 2016
Bruh her mom is the brain of the Magi? The more this show goes on, the more confused I become. I wanna see more Misato
Feb 2, 2022 7:16 AM

Feb 2021
What a banger episode!

They had to eliminate the Angel who was in the form of an army of malicious nano-bots progressively destroying their HQ systems.

Ritsuko sure is the brains behind NERV HQ's smooth functioning.

Apparently, the HQ systems were made by Ritsuko's mother and have her traits in them as well(?)

It would have been even better if they had to fight a corrupted Eva, That would have been pretty intense.

Apr 4, 2022 9:15 PM

Dec 2021
really liking the structure and also how efficient considering its only been 13 episodes. not a single one i'd say is boring. i think this is the point where i started to get a bit more confused during my 1st watch but its nice that i've cleared it all up now
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

204 by KidRias »»
Jun 6, 2:25 AM

» Do you have any Evangelion merchandise? ( 1 2 )

TsutanaiFuun - May 29

57 by 3looming »»
Jun 2, 9:15 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

266 by goofyahhgoofy »»
Jun 2, 6:21 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

then - May 10, 2008

161 by NihilisticMystic »»
May 29, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

813 by katto_al_ameer »»
May 28, 6:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.