Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (36) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 25, 2010 7:32 PM

Aug 2008
ducklare-kun said:

I put the 'semi' in 'semi important' there for a reason. No, they're not important like Kanade or Yuri. Those 'questions' in my post were all aimed at Angel Beats' biggest (imo) flaw. It wasn't about how much I liked those supporting characters, it was supposed to criticize how a supporting character like Yui pretty much got a whole episode dedicated to her past, and her disappearance. Yuri disappeared in ~15 seconds and we haven't learned anything about Kanade's past. Poor time allocation if you ask me, especially in an anime with only 13 episodes.

It is poor time allocation, but at the end of the day, the characters in this show don't matter anywhere near as much as the lame idea of the show. Yui gets more time because she was the first character Otonashi decided to get rid of. That simple. And since she was funny and most moe, they went with her. That's why the show doesn't need more episodes. They had the time, but wasted it on a bunch of nothing, developing nothing, only introducing more crap.
Jun 25, 2010 7:37 PM

Oct 2009
So sad :'(
I wish this series was longer, but I'm still satisfied.

Jun 25, 2010 7:38 PM

May 2010
I don't know what all the complaining is about. I think the story wrapped up pretty nicely. I especially don't know why people are complaining about the screen time Yuri got. She came to grips with her past when in the room with all the computers.

I found that most of the important questions were answered. I have to give this anime a 10/10 because the story and animation were superb.
Jun 25, 2010 7:40 PM
Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
ducklare-kun said:

I put the 'semi' in 'semi important' there for a reason. No, they're not important like Kanade or Yuri. Those 'questions' in my post were all aimed at Angel Beats' biggest (imo) flaw. It wasn't about how much I liked those supporting characters, it was supposed to criticize how a supporting character like Yui pretty much got a whole episode dedicated to her past, and her disappearance. Yuri disappeared in ~15 seconds and we haven't learned anything about Kanade's past. Poor time allocation if you ask me, especially in an anime with only 13 episodes.

It is poor time allocation, but at the end of the day, the characters in this show don't matter anywhere near as much as the lame idea of the show. Yui gets more time because she was the first character Otonashi decided to get rid of. That simple. And since she was funny and most moe, they went with her. That's why the show doesn't need more episodes. They had the time, but wasted it on a bunch of nothing, developing nothing, only introducing more crap.

I agree with noteDhero. They had time for some good developments, but they wasted it. People saying it doesn't have enough episodes is not enough excuse for poor executions. Anime such as Baccano only had very few episodes but it was well-executed til the end. They were able to handle every character til the end.
Jun 25, 2010 7:40 PM
Apr 2010
game8910 said:
KEY! LISTEN TO ME! NEVER AGAIN MAKE ANOTHER 13 EPISODE SERIES....JUST DONT!!

Wasted potential all over this series, and while the final episode had some touching moments it was handled to poorly I cant even decide if I liked the episode or just hated it.

Yuri's disappearance was unclimatic and retarded....they are really gonna let the main character go just like that? bullshit

Kanada/Otonashi moment was the highlight of the episode, but wtf happened to Otonashi? What is the true state of the world? Were they really dead or in a coma? Why was there another Kanade/Otonashi in the real world? WHY SO MANY UNANSWERED QUESTIONS!

He better answer these things on the extra bluray episode...I swear to god...

While I have really enjoyed this series and really wanted to rate it higher, I cannot give this anything over 8/10 because of so much left unresolved. But im damn sure all the fanboys will think of this as an incredibly sad and masterpiece episode...bleh

agree lol hahaha

My Badge
Jun 25, 2010 7:41 PM

Apr 2010
xly15 said:
I don't know what all the complaining is about. I think the story wrapped up pretty nicely. I especially don't know why people are complaining about the screen time Yuri got. She came to grips with her past when in the room with all the computers.

I found that most of the important questions were answered. I have to give this anime a 10/10 because the story and animation were superb.

Ditto, I really liked this series, not as much as their others though (besides air). I gave it a 9
Jun 25, 2010 7:42 PM

Oct 2009
Yuri was a main character? Hmm, I always considered Tenshi and Otonashi the main characters. I mean hell, Hinata got more screen time than Yuri.

Jun 25, 2010 7:43 PM

Jun 2010
Still hate it or love it as a whole or just the ending, this anime had amazing potential up towards midway when any scenario was possible, my favorite was Otonashi was GOD himself. Im happy, and yet another Spring Anime wrapped up.
Jun 25, 2010 7:43 PM

Jan 2009
lol i thought Otonashi will be left behind permanently on that purgatory
so the tilte Angel Beats came from Kanade's Beating Heart that was donated by Otonashi in the first place and that beating heart became a blessing for Otonashi to regain his treasured memories on his past life
Jun 25, 2010 7:44 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
A lot of things did not make any sense.... Slightly wasted animation quality.... The budget could have been spent on something better...such as an ALIVE adaptation....

And why is this ranked in top 100? It's just average and if not for the animation, it would get a 6-7 from me. So I am only ranking this 8 for the aesthetically-pleasing settings and characters.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 25, 2010 7:45 PM

Apr 2010
I realy like Ichiban no Takaramono when its coming out?

good ending :)

8.5 series for me (9 on MAL)
Jun 25, 2010 7:46 PM
Jun 2007
ios said:
so the tilte Angel Beats came from Kanade's Beating Heart that was donated by Otonashi in the first place and that beating heart became a blessing for Otonashi to regain his treasured memories on his past life

Doesn't make any sense. How can Kanade be longer in that world than Otonashi if she died after receiving Otonashi's heart?
Jun 25, 2010 7:47 PM

Oct 2009
Drengot said:
ios said:

Doesn't make any sense. How can Kanade be longer in that world than Otonashi if she died after receiving Otonashi's heart?

Good point, but I don't think time is relative in that universe.

Jun 25, 2010 7:48 PM

Jun 2009
This show was a fantastic example of how to make something look pretty while accomplishing absolutely nothing.
Jun 25, 2010 7:49 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Drengot said:
ios said:

Time works differently. Plus remember that "God" was supposedly a person who lost his memories and wandered in this world. Then he/she found love but was separated. Then he/she became a NPC. I think it exactly describes Otonashi. I believe we are facing a "Matrix"-level loop here. Notice how the school is getting filled up again.

In other words, Otonashi = Neo

Obviously it doesn't explain the weird encounter at the end. I believe the producers were just crappy about it.

Spookt said:
This show was a fantastic example of how to make something look pretty while accomplishing absolutely nothing.

You hit right on.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 25, 2010 7:51 PM

Jun 2010
I love the Mapo Tofu song. It is so funny.
So Otonashi died before Kanade but why she was in that world before him? She seems to be there much longer than him. I wonder if they really died or just in a coma.
Finaly thought on this anime: NEED MORE EXPLANATION!
8/10.
Jun 25, 2010 7:57 PM

Jan 2009
Drengot said:
ios said:

Kanade may have died in another way or maybe Otonoshi's transplanted heart got infected by virus or something because of Kanade's weak immune system for example because if you look at Kanade she looks like too pale that made me think she has a weak body on her past life

and Kanade have longer time than Otonashi may signifies that entering that purgatory doesnt happen instantly once you died plus the fact that Otonashi already explained that he may have no real big regrets in life so maybe Kanade just somehow affected the spirit of Otonashi to come over that purgatory place for Kanade to say thank you to Otonashi

thats it i hope i explained well my little speculations on binding the loose ends
Jun 25, 2010 7:59 PM
Nov 2009
Nice Mapo Tofu song.
Jun 25, 2010 8:00 PM

Jan 2009
This episode could be divided into two parts, the first itu the unserious graduation ceremony and the second one is Kanade's farewell.

The fisrt part were really not fitting as Key's anime ending (which should be tear jerking, not funny), and after Yuri dissapear is just shout : FUCK YEAH !!!

The second part is pretty touching, but due to lack of preparation in the first half, the second half is just "normally" touching, not like Air or CLANNAD with a tear-jerker ending. KanadexYuzuru is lovely, but sadly they didn't explain how Otonashi would dissapear and what's with the epilogue !?

The only great moments in this episode is when Otonashi's last confession and wehen Ichiban no Takaramono is played. God damn that was awesome, I now really wanted the song to came out quickly.

Overall this series is pretty good, I think it's almost a par with Kanon(2006) but still not as in the same league as Air or CLANNAD. Well done Maeda, and please, don't make any 13-episode anime again
Jun 25, 2010 8:01 PM

Jul 2008
Drengot said:
ios said:

I figured it out! And bear with me on this one.

Otonashi donated his organs. That means part of him was still alive. Kanade still died unfulfilled as a teen, so he couldn't get his heart back, but the people who got his stomach, liver, and kidneys all lived long fulfilled lives.

Otonashi had to wait for all his organs to die to respawn in purgatory.
Jun 25, 2010 8:03 PM

Jan 2010
THAT WAS SO SAD, I'M STILL CRYING!!! I don't care what anyone says, I'm giving this a 10.

... I'll probably rate it down to an 8 once I've gotten over how fucking sad the last part was though.
Jun 25, 2010 8:04 PM

Dec 2009
One thing for sure is that they all died. And the afterlife was some kind of alternate dimension. They reincarnated ( Typical ). Not possible for them to be in a coma since Otonashi already donated his organs. He won't be in a coma, he'll be dead. Anyway in the end he disappeared, if you look at the credits. I really wanted to give a 9/10 but there are waaay too many plotholes and WTF...It's so lame moments. They should add more comedy into it, especially the exam episode. That was hilarious.
Doubt Doubt.
Jun 25, 2010 8:05 PM

Apr 2010
hmm
clannad af > kanon 06 > clannad > angel beats > air

animation
clannad af > angel beats > clannad > kanon 06> air
Jun 25, 2010 8:06 PM

Dec 2007
Air > Clannad AS > Angel Beats > Kanon '06 > Clannad
Jun 25, 2010 8:10 PM

May 2008
Fate pulls them together no matter how far they were suppose to be , touching but meh Otonashi x Yuri would be better

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jun 2007
JustRad said:
Drengot said:
ios said:

I figured it out! And bear with me on this one.

Otonashi donated his organs. That means part of him was still alive. Kanade still died unfulfilled as a teen, so he couldn't get his heart back, but the people who got his stomach, liver, and kidneys all lived long fulfilled lives.

Otonashi had to wait for all his organs to die to respawn in purgatory.

Make sense the most. Thanks =D

May 2008
It kinda upsets me that this series has been nothing but COMPARED to previous KEY works. Compared. Compared. Compared. I think it deserves to be judged as a stand-alone. I know that's far too optimistic of a request, because the fact of the matter is, it IS a KEY series.

There were times where I forgot completely that this was a KEY series- And that's not a bad thing. I think the fact that it has its own personality and its own uniqueness is an even better reason not to compare it to the others.

I understand why people disliked, hated, or even loathed this series, don't get me wrong. It's understandable to go in with preconceived notions. I just can't really stand seeing comparison after comparison after comparison.

Once again, I'm far too optimistic, and perhaps slightly defensive, because I owe this series a lot to my happiness and motivations at the moment.
Jun 25, 2010 8:11 PM
Jul 2009
Plot wise
everything else > angel beats
Actually, I can't choose which is worse plot wise, Air or Angel beats... I guess Air was good in that year(OLD).
Anyways, I loved it. I expect no less from these producers, especially KEY.
Jun 25, 2010 8:12 PM
Oct 2009
94 5/5s.

these niggas. these niggas right here must have smoked some bad granola.
Jun 25, 2010 8:12 PM

Nov 2007
LOL omg this was awful. Ugh, Angel Beats!, I had so much hope for you. And you were really going well there, for about half of the series. Then it just went downhill. Sigh. 3/10 overall. Oh well.
yamakasiJun 25, 2010 8:19 PM
Jun 25, 2010 8:16 PM

Jul 2009
What the shit was that? I felt compelled to finish the series since I hate dropping shows, but now I really wish I had dropped it sooner. What a waste of time. That was some of the most uninspired, forced shit I have watched in a long time. I knew the show was beyond saving after episode 12, but I didn't know they could make it worse in the final episode. Holy cow. It had so much potential after the first few episodes, and then it gave us.....this.

2/10, and it truly deserved less. That was simply horrible.

PS. Turning Yuri into a tsundere in the last episode? Fail on so many levels.

PPS. I laughed at the romance in the LAST EPISODE. Holy crap that was retarded, just like the entire series.
Jun 25, 2010 8:18 PM

May 2010
Great story I'm happy but at the same time I'm sad, I hope they make a sequel or something, but this time, not afterlife but in the real life.

Jun 25, 2010 8:18 PM

Jun 2010
Yes, too many plot holes.
I was a little confused on some parts.
I'm watching "A litre of tears" so I didn't cry that much when Otonashi and Kanade were hugging.
-So Kanade had a heart transplant and it was Otonashi's heart she recieved. Kanade was in a coma and she came here to thank Otonashi. Really confusing since Kanade was here longer. Maybe it does have to do with the time lag.
Jun 25, 2010 8:20 PM

Nov 2007
greenmush said:
Fate pulls them together no matter how far they were suppose to be , touching but meh Otonashi x Yuri would be better

glad i'm not the only one who feels this way. kanade and otonashi all of a sudden was like WTF??? to me. maybe if there was more character development I'd dig it but the way it ran...blah.
Jun 25, 2010 8:22 PM

May 2010
In the end there's a scene where a girl that resembled Kanade is humming the song "My Song" and a boy that resembles Otonashi noticed it, I hope they make a story for the two of them and the rest but in real life not after life, I Love Kanade!

Jun 25, 2010 8:22 PM

Sep 2009
Awesome show! Key did it again! Cannot wait for the release in the West!
Jun 25, 2010 8:23 PM
Jul 2018
Meh the timeline of the story still confuses me. I thought Tenshi fought the SSS for quite the long time. And I'm sure organs don't last that long once the body dies.

Unless Otonashi spent all that time (while the SSS minus Otonashi were fighting Kanade) wandering until he wound up sleeping in that dead world.

No TK backstory makes me :(

Jul 2008
lol Kanade is humming My Song!

But this could just be me, but I thought that a lot of the characters (mainly Yuri) were acting OOC. Also, not seeing most of the Battlefront disappear/be fulfilled/get a back-story really bothered me. It lessened the emotional impact this finale could have had.

The end made me pretty sad though, the ED playing and everyone disappearing. But I don't understand the last 30 seconds again at all. Were they reborn or something?

Apr 2010
otanashi vs kanade was kinda obvious... since ep 6, 7? dont remember well :P
Jun 25, 2010 8:29 PM

Mar 2010
great show, for a 13 epi anime this was very good, for any1 hoo doesnt normally watch slice of life/romance animes, this epi is guna make u cry...believe it XD
Jun 25, 2010 8:29 PM

May 2010
Tsundere said:
greenmush said:

glad i'm not the only one who feels this way. kanade and otonashi all of a sudden was like WTF??? to me. maybe if there was more character development I'd dig it but the way it ran...blah.

Hm.....I never expected that to happen, but That's what I want to happen Otonashi x Yuri, but each episodes make it more impossible to happen, and It seems that Otonashi Loved Kanade right from the start.

Jun 25, 2010 8:32 PM

May 2010
killerfett0 said:
great show, for a 13 epi anime this was very good, for any1 hoo doesnt normally watch slice of life/romance animes, this epi is guna make u cry...believe it XD

Yup, The part before Kanade disappeared made me cry T.T

Jun 25, 2010 8:34 PM

Feb 2009
Loooved Kanade-chaaan <33 shes so cutee *_*
.. anyway like most people I'm very disappointed :( ...There were so many things unexplained and not enough character development. This would be the first Key anime that didn't make me cry, I came close to crying but I didn't :(.

overall I give the show an 8/10 ...there should have been more episodes ><!

Jun 2008
ducklare-kun said:
AND WHY THE FUCK DO WE NOT KNOW MORE ABOUT TK?

^^^ First of all: That.

It's been awhile since I've seen an anime with such wasted potentia, and a KEY product nonetheless. The loopholes, the undeveloped characters, etc etc. This would have been an easy 9/10, had this been 24 episodes and fleshed out.
I don't think an OVA is going to satisfy me, but a whole remake like FMA Brotherhood would hit the spot.

7/10 Total. Good, but not great. Inb4 more overreacting low score reviews.

Nov 2007
I sorta backlogged it for a while and then watched it in bulk. Maybe because of that it felt short and incomplete to me. I mean I wanted to know like why Yuri died, what the deal with TK was, how about that shota with the brown hair whose name escapes me. It was just so...random? I feel like if this were to be made into a visual novel, I'd probably like it a lot more. Just like how I cried a million boxes of tissues in the Clannad game, but the anime just made me rage >_>
Jun 25, 2010 8:37 PM

Jan 2010
Although the plot was rushed and some parts didn't make sense,it was still a touching episode and a great anime in the end :)
Damn.Those bastards make me cry again >.<
Jun 25, 2010 8:38 PM

Dec 2008
Over the past 4-5 episodes the show went from the "definition of average" to "pretty fuckin good". Bumped to 8/10. The end kinda reminded me of Lost's ending, which in my opinion is not a bad thing, although I wish the other characters wouldnt have disappeared offscreen.
Jun 25, 2010 8:39 PM

Sep 2009
In just reading the last few posts I see a lot of confusion. Here is my take:

- Time in the "dead" world is irrelevant or non-linear thus it would explain why Kanade was there longer.

- Kanade was never dead, she explained that she wanted to thank him and somehow had gone to that world to find him.

- Otanashi died how else would Kanade get his heart? The last 30 seconds reflect reincarnation and fate, not uncommon in romance/dramas involving death.

That is how I make sense of things anyhow. :)

Its open to another season but I think it would be anticlimactic. Though looking back at Clannad and Clannad ~After Story~ I think Key could find some way to pull it off :)
Jun 25, 2010 8:39 PM

Dec 2008
Reborn to find eachother in the next life
the ending was fantastic
By Far The Best Anime show of the Season
Jun 25, 2010 8:41 PM

Jun 2009
Meh, so many questions left unanswered.

Key and Jun Maeda aren't the problem here, the problem lies in the fact that the series was split into different mediums, due to "time constraints."

I'll admit I'm a Key fanboy; I have countless amounts of Key merchandise laying around.
Touching, but not enough to call it a series I'd rewatch.

7/10 from me... and that's being generous.
Pages (36) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 2, 2010

677 by copypasterCPS »»
May 13, 11:31 AM

» Explanation

Vapor_AU - Apr 27

17 by Saimatsu_Fan »»
Apr 29, 11:38 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

565 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 21, 2010

388 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.