Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 29, 2022 6:59 AM

Oct 2013
Budget seems good, the choreography is pretty solid after she wields him too. Kinda bad half the episode was wasted on a cgi sword floating around and skill screens, but the creature fights where pretty nice and seems that more or less all that stat stuff is set already too, so if those stay to a minimum, this could actually turn out pretty good
Sep 29, 2022 7:10 AM

Mar 2012
RMTWASHERE said:
Maou_heika said:
Generic Isekai #7649

I started regretting picking this up 5 mins into the first episode, wasted 23 whole mins of my life! It's the usual gaming mechanisms with MC starting to power up right after reincarnating as a sword and the usual kemonomimi slave girls, let's not forget all the stats screens are conveniently in Japanese.

There are at least 50 animes out this season, why y'all pick it up in the first place? Are humans nowadays so ignorant that they forgot that there is a "related" section in every Mal profile that you can use for further context/research of what anime is this? It was easier to open those related section rather than opening up forums tab and ranting bunch of stuff. Not to mention google exist.

Its like you hate fish but proceed to go to sushi place without knowing it was made of fish then shit on it at the end, calling it a garbage only from a first bite.
Unfortunately for you I don't bother wasting too much time on "research" before watching anime and the MC being reincarnated as an inanimate object made me a bit curious, wasn't expecting for more than half of the episode going on about power ups and stupid stats.
Sep 29, 2022 7:27 AM
May 2022
The good animation reduce me getting bored while watching episode 1" it's okay i thought since i didn't like the manga i tried watching the anime and yet it's a generic isekai but still okay though might give it another 1 episode.
Sep 29, 2022 8:10 AM

Nov 2013
what the actual fuck, is this a one episode anime or what? the sword literally killing dragons at 5 minutes....................................
anyway, damn slaves are always treated so badly, it hurts to see, was hoping to see her kill that guy by the end of the episode, but i guess him dying to the bear works too lol

yay happy ending :D
Fran kawaii

anyway, i felt like dropping it for the 1st half (holy shit i was getting tired of hearing the sword boast about his ability to easily kill everything), but the part with Fran was cute enough for me to probably watch another episode
fav "new" girls from spring <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Sep 29, 2022 8:16 AM

May 2021
Great episode! Finally get to see Fran animated!
A goblin spat on sword-kun!
So he killed them all! And levelled up.
Then he heard a voice asking if he wanted to set his skills.
He agreed and it seems he can gain new skills by crushing the crystals.
Though he is lonely without a wielder, he decides to gain new skills in preparation for his wielder.
We then get o see Fran who is a slave...
Meanwhile, my favourite sword is killing more monsters and acquiring new skills!
He figures out if he absorbs a crystal of a skill he already has, he can increase its effectiveness.
We then get to see Fran again who is punished with no food for trying to stand up for another slave.
Sword's body double skill isn't too useful xD.
He clears many areas and goes beyond to the forest but when he goes in the ground, he can't come out!
Even after a month... he is still stuck!
Meanwhile for Fran, a huge bear monster attacks the transport and eats her horrible owners.
All the slaves are freed! Whilst everyone runs, Fran attacks the monster but it doesn't work...
She hears a voice call out to her and it is...
SWORD-KUN!
She grasps him and conveniently whilst they talk, the bear monster takes just enough time to wait to attack her before she pulls out the sword!
And then kills the monster!
She is about to put sword-kun away...
But the last remaining slave owner comes to her and tells her to hand the sword over!
But Sword-kun kills him!
She agrees to wield him and tells him her name.
She decides on his name as 'Teacher' lol.

Looking forward to the next episode!
Rem4lifexDSep 29, 2022 8:34 AM
AISHITERU...REM!
Sep 29, 2022 8:23 AM
Sep 2022
The first episode had very nice animation and at times look just as good if not better than the manga. I though Flans VA was good but I think the Teacher's VA felt a little off but by the end of the episode it had grown on me. A minor complaint would be I felt they spent too much time on Teachers journey before becoming stuck in the ground but it can only go uphill from here.
Sep 29, 2022 8:32 AM
Apr 2018
Maou_heika said:
RMTWASHERE said:

There are at least 50 animes out this season, why y'all pick it up in the first place? Are humans nowadays so ignorant that they forgot that there is a "related" section in every Mal profile that you can use for further context/research of what anime is this? It was easier to open those related section rather than opening up forums tab and ranting bunch of stuff. Not to mention google exist.

Its like you hate fish but proceed to go to sushi place without knowing it was made of fish then shit on it at the end, calling it a garbage only from a first bite.
Unfortunately for you I don't bother wasting too much time on "research" before watching anime and the MC being reincarnated as an inanimate object made me a bit curious, wasn't expecting for more than half of the episode going on about power ups and stupid stats.

Well people complain when isekai had overpowered character for no reason. So here you go, all the reasons for half of the episode.
Sep 29, 2022 9:57 AM
Jun 2021
KAIKI DESHUUU VA YOOOOOOOOOOO
Sep 29, 2022 10:27 AM
Mar 2020
great wonderfull
Sep 29, 2022 11:00 AM
Apr 2020
Intresting plot, the mc seems cool
Sep 29, 2022 11:09 AM

Dec 2019
pretty average first episode, im hoping this doesnt devolve into weird cat-sword romance or god forbid a harem, id definitely prefer to see something closer to a father-daughter relationship
fran is definitely a badass though, which pleasantly surprised me!
Sep 29, 2022 11:26 AM

Dec 2013
That was as fine and fine can be, not bad, but not good either, Fran is super cute but eehhhhh, let's see where this show goes.
Sep 29, 2022 11:47 AM

Jan 2017
That was actually really fun. I didn't know anything about the light novels, so I'd expected something rather comfy and comedic, and though generally I was right, the first episode did have some surprisingly cruel moments. I didn't find it boring at all.
KenrinSep 29, 2022 11:54 AM
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り
Sep 29, 2022 11:47 AM

Feb 2019
Wait I didn’t know the first episode dropped yesterday?

As someone who read the first book but found it boring, I did enjoy this episode. I think having voice acting really helps the early going of the story. I didn’t find volume 1 to become interesting at all until the final battle at the end, we’ll see how things go with the anime. The animation seemed decent during Fran’s fight with the bear.
Sep 29, 2022 11:48 AM

Feb 2019
AkeZZZ said:
When truck-kun is too repetitive, why not try something new like a supercar-kun?
Fran is cute, btw 😏

Based as always Akezz
Sep 29, 2022 12:01 PM
Nov 2021
Glad to see it looks on the better side of animation

There won't be a harem (Manga reader)

Hope they make it to that floating island this season (Best thing i've ever read (Not really but almost))

The future fights will be better

Goodbye
Sep 29, 2022 12:07 PM
Nov 2021
winddevil1 said:
what the actual fuck, is this a one episode anime or what? the sword literally killing dragons at 5 minutes....................................
anyway, damn slaves are always treated so badly, it hurts to see, was hoping to see her kill that guy by the end of the episode, but i guess him dying to the bear works too lol

yay happy ending :D
Fran kawaii

anyway, i felt like dropping it for the 1st half (holy shit i was getting tired of hearing the sword boast about his ability to easily kill everything), but the part with Fran was cute enough for me to probably watch another episode

Basically they wanted to get all of that power leveling out of the way asap.
Now we just get cute Fran and Teacher together for the whole season.
<3
Sep 29, 2022 12:08 PM
Nov 2021
hiyowoko said:
pretty average first episode, im hoping this doesnt devolve into weird cat-sword romance or god forbid a harem, id definitely prefer to see something closer to a father-daughter relationship

Don't worry, this is a harem-free anime!
Sep 29, 2022 12:10 PM
Nov 2021
NotAnApartment said:
Glad to see it looks on the better side of animation

There won't be a harem (Manga reader)

Hope they make it to that floating island this season (Best thing i've ever read (Not really but almost))

The future fights will be better

Goodbye

I would expect the season to stop at chapter 26, so right BEFORE that arc, unfortunately for you. We get to see some cool stuff though, season 1 has 2 good arcs.
Sep 29, 2022 12:10 PM
Sep 2020
enjoyable. that's all
Sep 29, 2022 12:15 PM
Mar 2020
Quite enjoyed it. The first episode is about what I was expecting, given the source material. The animation was pretty good, and the voice acting fit, so it didn't feel particularly off to me.
If I were nitpicking, I would say that I would have preferred a little more focus on Shishou's fights and leveling up, like how it was done in the source material, but given this is an anime, it is acceptable to cut out stuff like that. I did also like how they portrayed Fran's life before she met Shishou, which they didn't do in the source material if my memory serves.
Overall, I am looking forward to the next episode, even though I already know where the plot is going.
Sep 29, 2022 12:45 PM
Nov 2021
Ragon_Qc said:
I would expect the season to stop at chapter 26, so right BEFORE that arc, unfortunately for you. We get to see some cool stuff though, season 1 has 2 good arcs

Ah well, that is a better place to stop technically

Guess i'll have to wait for a season 2 in a few years
NotAnApartmentSep 29, 2022 12:48 PM
Sep 29, 2022 12:45 PM
Feb 2020
it was honestly pretty bland. Just really didn't like the sword tbh
Sep 29, 2022 1:32 PM
Sep 2022
I had a good time, the sword is fun and the show was just fun. I don't think it's anything spectacular so far however it's something I'll definitely keep watching!
Sep 29, 2022 1:41 PM
Apr 2020
I didn’t read the original source, but I think that you can give this anime a chance
Sep 29, 2022 1:54 PM
Jul 2018
Wasn't expecting it to be as fast-paced as it was, but still pretty enjoyable.
Sep 29, 2022 4:17 PM
Mar 2020
I like this. Keep it coming
Sep 29, 2022 4:56 PM

Oct 2015
One of my favorite isekai series finally getting the anime ! Decent episode.
Sep 29, 2022 5:23 PM
Apr 2022
Waveshaper said:
Omega6047 said:
This shit is what happens when some corporate heads look at what's popular and throw it into one story because popular. Either that or the author is an actual child.

After browsing and looking into some of those 'modern' manga-isekai-clones lately I can say that it's most likely the latter.
8.5/10 of those clones are not worth the paper they are printed on - unfortunately they still seem to sell - whatever audience that might be.
Initially I was thinking that some of them might actually be mildly entertaining or funny, but the truth is that most of them are just plain and utter crap. That goes especially for the writing - and it actually often seems like stories some 9y/o child came up with - not even exaggerating here.

I personally might give the show another 1-2 episodes though - but if the next one doesn't come up with some actually good jokes or references I most likely drop it on the spot. More than enough actually GOOD content this season as well, so there is no need to waste precious time on crap.

I think ill continue it just to put into perspective what other shows do well. I found it ridiculous to the point where its entertaining. I swear 80% of the dialogue was just saying what was happening.
Sep 29, 2022 5:58 PM
Jan 2020
Definitely an interesting concept. it's more well known to reincarnate the person upright into there original body or a new one. However, this idea is interesting and i can't wait for future episodes to be released. Hope this series keeps me just as interested as the first episode if not more!
Sep 29, 2022 6:34 PM
May 2022
its unique and has some very good scenes
looking forward for the next epi!!
Sep 29, 2022 6:41 PM

Nov 2012
JudgeDeadd said:
Ah yes, 15 minutes of listening to a guy talk about what skills he's going to choose and exactly how many mana points he's gained. Thrilling stuff.

Also murdering goblins en masse for... no reason, other than them being ugly, I guess.

Yeeeeeah this DEFINITELY feels like one of those shows that worked better as a novel - if it ever worked.

Also, there's something particularly irksome of this trend I keep seeing where you have a character whose whole deal is being an inanimate object/monster/something else that presents them with limitations... and have them quickly overcome said limitations via magic shapeshifting/telekinesis/whatever. At least in shows like Spider and Slime it takes more than 3 minutes so you could argue the character earned that, but in this one, well... does him being a sword really even matter? Aside from it making him easier to animate I mean. Working with his limitations and making it so he HAS to rely on a master to move and gain abilities would have made this so much more interesting.

The main duo's dynamic towards the end was nice though. I might start up the next episode when it comes out, but it's a likely drop unless it goes somewhere pretty quickly.
Sep 29, 2022 8:25 PM

Apr 2008
Netbug said:
JudgeDeadd said:
Ah yes, 15 minutes of listening to a guy talk about what skills he's going to choose and exactly how many mana points he's gained. Thrilling stuff.

Also murdering goblins en masse for... no reason, other than them being ugly, I guess.

Yeeeeeah this DEFINITELY feels like one of those shows that worked better as a novel - if it ever worked.

Also, there's something particularly irksome of this trend I keep seeing where you have a character whose whole deal is being an inanimate object/monster/something else that presents them with limitations... and have them quickly overcome said limitations via magic shapeshifting/telekinesis/whatever. At least in shows like Spider and Slime it takes more than 3 minutes so you could argue the character earned that, but in this one, well... does him being a sword really even matter? Aside from it making him easier to animate I mean. Working with his limitations and making it so he HAS to rely on a master to move and gain abilities would have made this so much more interesting.

The main duo's dynamic towards the end was nice though. I might start up the next episode when it comes out, but it's a likely drop unless it goes somewhere pretty quickly.

Seriously, it's bizarre how generic they managed to make this when he's not even a living creature. Shouldn't that change something up? But nope, skill points, DM voice, skill stealing, and like you said, none of the limitations from being inanimate object. Isekai seem to revel in making details irrelevant. So far feels like a worse Spider in every way unless Fran carries the show.
Sep 29, 2022 8:48 PM
Jul 2021
Marinate1016 said:
Wait I didn’t know the first episode dropped yesterday?

As someone who read the first book but found it boring, I did enjoy this episode. I think having voice acting really helps the early going of the story. I didn’t find volume 1 to become interesting at all until the final battle at the end, we’ll see how things go with the anime. The animation seemed decent during Fran’s fight with the bear.

because the story indeed very slow because fran and sword dad character progressions also development, it also take very to long time for the main villain actually reveal them self.

but dont worry the story will kick really hard at after sky island undead arc and later on.
RedCobra75Sep 29, 2022 8:55 PM
Sep 29, 2022 8:56 PM
Dec 2021
As a first episode, I think it does a fine job introducing certain concepts without exposition, like the level-up system and such but in a story, the level is quite bland, I hope it gets better.
Sep 29, 2022 9:59 PM
Apr 2014
Finally, a cat girl is one of the main protagonists. I have been looking forward to this anime since the announcement last year.
Sep 29, 2022 10:15 PM
Jun 2020
animation is nice and liked the episode
Sep 29, 2022 11:13 PM
Nov 2021
pretty good, just like its manga
Sep 29, 2022 11:44 PM

Oct 2017
A splendid start, and I already liked that the next episode has adventurers' guild in the title as all good isekai should have
Sep 30, 2022 2:11 AM

Jan 2021
Great start! But why did they have to give the sword every single op isekai power…
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Sep 30, 2022 2:17 AM
Apr 2022
Great start and introduction to the world. Fran was so adorable and fierce, Teacher was funny and endearing, and the music was the cherry on top of it all...gives me such nostalgic vibes, in a strange way. I am so excited for episode two.
Sep 30, 2022 3:55 AM

Mar 2015
lighthearted and goofy, but neko chan <3 will keep me watching
Sep 30, 2022 6:07 AM
Jan 2017
The mc reminds me alot of arc from skeleton knight
Sep 30, 2022 6:51 AM

Jan 2021
How long did that sword train, its already so op. Also how much mana is he consuming like zero, you think flying everywhere would eat all of that up. Whatever, I'll try a few more episodes and if I'm really not into it I'll just drop it.

The sword has got to be one of the easiest things to animate though. He just flies and emotes.
Sep 30, 2022 7:08 AM

May 2021
"That Time Urahara Kisuke Reincarnated As a Sword". good first ep. seems fun and the animation is good (common C2C W). went through the basics really quickly but it was nice. obv fran is really cute as well.
Sep 30, 2022 8:36 AM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
YasashiEndo said:
As a first episode, I think it does a fine job introducing certain concepts without exposition, like the level-up system and such

"Without" exposition? That was exposition, lol. He literally narrated how he gets skills and XP from magic crystals via expository monologue. As well as everything else, I guess. Dude rivals Speedwagon at dramatically stating the obvious, but he's no Speedwagon.
Sep 30, 2022 8:55 AM

Feb 2019
moozooh said:
YasashiEndo said:
As a first episode, I think it does a fine job introducing certain concepts without exposition, like the level-up system and such

"Without" exposition? That was exposition, lol. He literally narrated how he gets skills and XP from magic crystals via expository monologue. As well as everything else, I guess. Dude rivals Speedwagon at dramatically stating the obvious, but he's no Speedwagon.

*lol*

Guess that's one of the best arguments for not giving anything about public reception and ratings when it comes to entertainment media.
If there are people being able to watch the very same show and coming to conclusions 180° from everyone else about factual aspects of it, it becomes pretty obvious that what 'people' think about stuff means nothing at all. An episode consisting of at least 50-60% expository monologue (as you've stated) being perceived by some as storytelling WITHOUT exposition is ridiculous to a degree I'm tempted to call it a bait comment. Or rather; I WOULD be tempted, if I didn't already know about how ridiculous the anime community can be at times... :D

There would be even some interesting topic to be found here within the 'exposition' question.
I personally find it rather intriguing WHY this has become such a problem in anime - and especially Isekai-themed ones.
I understand that it is a cheap narration-technique that got ported over from classical shounen-storytelling but recently I encounter it more and more even with shows aimed for a more mature audience. Originally I was drawn into manga & anime (actually more into japanese cinema in the beginning...) BECAUSE of the subtle and often hard to understand way of eastern storytelling from the western perspective. I remember watching many japanese and korean horror movies in the early 2000s wondering at times what some of them actually wanted to tell me, with how 'weird' their narrative choices felt to me as westerner. There was so much symbolism and so much things unspoken but to be found within the mise en scene - and this was something you could find as well in older anime. Akira, Evangelion, etc.

But THIS kind of shows - especially but not only Isekai anime nowadays - seem to constantly have a level of exposition you would expect from a pre-schooler show, especially meant to TEACH very young children about the world. In this aspect it's necessary to work that way - toddlers don't have the previous knowledge to interpret the meaning of things - those shows are meant to install the very framework of simple concepts into them so they can use this in the future to interpret other stuff. But there should be no need to have those levels of exposition in a show aimed towards teens or adults if you don't assume them being braindead to begin with...

But enough rambling about things I can't change anyways. At least this show seems to get the comedic timing at least somewhat right - what makes it already two tiers better than this Healer Mendokusai crap they tried to sell earlier this year. Probably still not good enough - but at least not something you'll remember just for its cringe-value. ^^
Sep 30, 2022 9:20 AM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
Waveshaper said:
I personally find it rather intriguing WHY this has become such a problem in anime - and especially Isekai-themed ones.
I understand that it is a cheap narration-technique that got ported over from classical shounen-storytelling but recently I encounter it more and more even with shows aimed for a more mature audience.

A lot (perhaps most) fantasy light novels are written for the kind of people you see get hit by truck-kun: lone, low-rank, chronically fatigued office workers. The writers are typically amateurs who haven't properly studied how to write well, but in return, their audience isn't picky; they don't care about stale tropes, lack of originality, or immersion-breaking genre-savviness of the main character—they just want their wish fulfillment and power fantasies. Constant exposition and the need to employ ill-conceived faux-videogame narrative crutches (no popular game is actually as poorly designed as these authors keep insisting) is the result of their lack of basic writing skill, which takes years to master even if one has the aptitude for it.

And hence you get the paradoxical situation where stories with mature content are written as if they're aimed at grade school children. It's not that the authors want it this way—they just can't do it otherwise, and end up taking shortcuts wherever possible.
Sep 30, 2022 9:42 AM

Dec 2019
Ragon_Qc said:
hiyowoko said:

Don't worry, this is a harem-free anime!

thank the lord and all that is holy.
Sep 30, 2022 9:59 AM

Feb 2020
For a first generic isekai episode, it was actually fun to watch. It's not weird to see the MC as a sword since we already are aware of reincarnated as a vending machine & onsen. lol
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tensei shitara Ken deshita Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2022

169 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 17, 12:20 PM

Poll: » Tensei shitara Ken deshita Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2022

83 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 17, 11:58 AM

Poll: » Tensei shitara Ken deshita Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2022

83 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 17, 10:33 AM

Poll: » Tensei shitara Ken deshita Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2022

99 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 17, 10:11 AM

Poll: » Tensei shitara Ken deshita Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2022

101 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 17, 9:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.