Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 18, 2021 9:17 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Really interesting backstory for the dog (Yamabiko) it's still as mysterious as before though but I'm more and more interesting into the whole story
Sep 18, 2021 10:59 AM
Feb 2021
Wow this episode was creepy and super disturbing slowly seeing the characters fall apart and die. The war guy was pure evil, I feel so bad for the dog too. I love the bgm for this episode but seriously this was a disturbing episode. I really hope this anime continues to get more and more dark over time
Nayhooo
Sep 18, 2021 11:20 AM

Mar 2010
Twas kinda funny to see them suffer from those tumors, not a bad way to die out if you ask me.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 23, 2021 1:00 AM

Oct 2017
Allright backstory for Yamabiko, it was a sad one thou.
Sep 30, 2021 4:04 AM
Aug 2021
kuroneko99 said:
Here is some speculations.
Kodama said "You are too dependent on me" to the blue bird (and Yamabiko's future self!?). This corresponds to Nozomi's words in episode 2: "Both Mizuho and this world are too dependent." After a while, Kodama buried the dead blue bird with the berries that the bird brought to her. Kodama died and Yamabiko continued to lie down there in the world that embodied his wish. A little tree grew there from the berry and it would have become the big tree burning with blue fire in episode 2. These blue attribution would symbolize illusory happiness described by Maeterlinck or Novalis. Therefore the tree that is a symbol of false happiness continued to burn. Also the blue fire burnt false happiness/things the students earned without their own efforts. Then when Yamabiko dashed out the tree in episode 5, the blue fire on the tree died down.
---
When Yamabiko tried to make a promise with Kodama linking his little finger to hers, he noticed that his hand had become a paw of a dog. He hadn't realized that he became a dog until this moment.

Damn that's a great interpretation.
Oct 7, 2021 3:34 PM

Jul 2015
For a student turned dog, Yamabiko sure got a weird tragic backstory to accompany that. Sad to see Yamabiko failed to save Kodama and her fellow travellers as he realised too late that in order to stop the mental wound epidemic War brought, he should've gone out of his shell

Oct 26, 2021 11:16 PM

Apr 2019
The funniest thing is this episode trying to be philosophical and reflective. Haha
Dec 21, 2021 11:26 PM

May 2015
Probably the best episode so far. The setting was depressing and disturbing, it reminded me of Shin Sekai Yori.
Jan 1, 2022 8:24 AM

Feb 2018
So Yamabiko's power was to create worlds unconsciously. Was that guy truly War? Or just another student drifting in between of worlds? Interesting but still confusing
Feb 22, 2022 7:11 PM

Mar 2018
This show up to this point wasn't doing much for me, this episode really changed that.

This gave me feelings of Mushi-shi atmosphere and Violet Evergarden like emotive story-telling. The best episode of this show hands down so far, found myself in tears at the end of the story. Hoping the rest of the episodes take this quality and run with it because it would greatly lift it up from the episodes before that felt lacking.
Mar 23, 2022 7:04 AM
Jul 2020
kiukku said:
does someone know who voices the War guy? I know I recognize his voice but I cant place who it is

I know him from yowamushi pedal 😅
Apr 1, 2022 3:28 AM

Jul 2019
Even though Yamabiko's thorny path is also a story about escapism, I find this episode special compared to everything that has been presented to the viewer before. The scale and ruthless methodicalness of the dome that Yamabiko built under the influence of self-doubt and self-hatred is striking hard. Rough ashy tones, avowal, distrust, despair, irreversibility, remorse, death, emptiness, reincarnation and a new road into nowhere — I can't recall being so thunderstruck by such a cocktail of feelings throughout the episode in a long time.

I can't tie Kodama's relationship with War together, just as I can’t reliably say that she is the God whom the original carrier of the disease tried to kill, it doesn't matter, what matters most is the shrillness of happening in their rare meetings. Yeah, the downfall of Kodama's world is appaling but it was a necessary demonstrative shock to convey the realization that not every world can be escaped. Can't even imagine what brewed up in Yamabiko's soul after all this years up to the point he let this tragic story slipped out of his mouth. It made a lasting impression on me and will forever be remembered as a silent tombstone. It can be said, that I've already received much more mental pabulum from this series than I could have imagined thanks to this episode.

Damn. Even the reunion with Nozomi and the important detail that time passes differently for her and Nagara pales in comparison to the main course.
Apr 10, 2022 2:59 PM
Mar 2016
So it seems like most people loved this episode, but I honestly hated it. It had all the ingredients to be amazing, but I think it burnt the entire pot trying to present it.

For starters, presenting the flashback in media res was a very stupid idea. It makes the story unnecessarily convoluted. It would have been much more effective for Yamabiko to start from the beginning. Instead, they show him having a crush on White-hair in the real world, fall in love with her in "his" world, her die, him go on a hellish journey, and then them meeting for the first time. Originally I thought it was a different White-hair like she'd been reborn or her relative.

The rules and lore of "his" world make absolutely no sense. I assume that Yamabiko didn't actually create the world but manifested his inner desires into the physical world, which creates a lot of problems. White-hair was described to have the power to direct everything, when she clearly couldn't. Why describe her as being omnipotent if that's clearly not what's going on? She can apparently bring birds back to life and make the ocean into curry, but is powerless against the scar art sickness. And the scar art sickness is from another world, but also War was patient zero, but also from Yamabiko's mind. But also the scar art sickness manifests mental wounds as physical wounds for everyone but Yamabiko, who has tremendous psychic damage already.

It gets really confusing when you add the fact that this is the same world with the rule that "Anything received for free burns in blue fire.". Why didn't this rule effect the prior village? The miracles White-Hair made should have all burst into flame? Why didn't Nagara's class get infected with the scar art sickness. They wouldn't have any built up immunity to the pathogen. How does Yamabiko know that he slept for thousands of years, if he only just woke up to meet up with Nagara and Nozomi?

It's pretty clear that this entire story is meant to be more of an allegory. A beautiful leader who seems to be able to do anything, making an awful decision to nurture and heal the very thing that would ultimately destroy her kingdom. A reclusive boy too blinded by love and idolotry to admit to the leader, she'd made a mistake. White-Hair herself more fascinated and affectionate towards criticism and negativity than praise and loyalty. War claiming a massive death toll, brandishing medals for his deeds, and lurking within the hearts of all people.

But what did the people even fight about? They clearly had everything they could ever ask for. It wasn't until the sickness started and people had already died that real conflict even arose in the village. White-Hair's wounds were caused by the pain from waiting for Yamabiko to confess his love for her, and yet even when shown this he still let her die? But White-Hair was clearly also infatuated with War and wasn't hurt by his feelings. Her mistake was caring for the wrong person, who himself did nothing wrong. War was merely infected by a disease. He even isolated himself in a cave. If anything War would seem to be the kind of man Yamabiko wants to be (they are clearly connected in some way and meant to be foils), but even then he seems completely deranged. After 5000 years Yamabiko still can't tell the truth. Why did White-Hair never make a move?

It feels like the more I try to examine the episode, the more everything completely falls apart. I think that Yamabiko is War, and that he was always envious of White-Hair. That in denying half of his feelings he split into two people and created the plague to bring down White-Hair. The plague simply being negative emotions in the village, beginning with Yamabiko's doubt and defiance and gradually spreading through the village. The more White-Hair struggled, the more envious Yamabiko became, the more the dog idolized her, and the more War hated her. In his eyes her beauty was her unwavering resolve and dedication. So if anything, Yamabiko really didn't love her at all but what she represented in his mind, not even as a person but as a symbol of comfort, inclusion, and community that he originally rejected.

That's how I interpret the story. It seems pretty clear that's not what the show was going for at all, and that's not what other people took from the episode. The episode keeps doubling down on this idea of tragic love, and this interpretation would mean that Yamabiko's real self isn't very dog-like at all.
May 21, 2022 9:38 AM

Apr 2016
So this one is about the lack of criticism and being unable to deal with it?
Jul 15, 2022 12:57 AM

May 2021
I really like this episode! And generally like what's going on. After the end of Lord of the Flies, this anime gets more and more interesting. A small number of characters is good, I think. However, I regret that Rajdhani left. I liked him...

I also don't like Kodama. I never liked it when people do good by force. If she had left Yamabiko alone...I guess everything would have been fine
EuonymusJul 15, 2022 1:02 AM
Aug 20, 2022 2:13 PM

Aug 2017
I'm curious about the brief shot of a lying dog with the same disease.
Nov 17, 2022 8:45 AM

Apr 2015
This was far too abstract for me and none of the earlier episodes were so that's saying something
Nov 21, 2022 10:43 AM
Nov 2019
The most beautifully done episode in the series. It individually stands on its own in every way and I'll remember it forever.
Dec 2, 2022 4:17 PM
Nov 2022
I truly don't understand this show, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.
Dec 13, 2022 5:05 AM
Feb 2021
this anime is getting better and better every episode. I empathized with the sad story of Yamabiko.
and the visuals was really good thanks to Mad Hause
Jun 25, 2023 8:07 PM

Jan 2019
ok i think i get it, so his ability is that his mental world gets manifested into reality, so those worlds were worlds of the mind but now in physical which is why the wounds were mental wounds and got progressive. the reliance on the girl who in yamabiko's mind was invincible and could do anything was a lot and her mental wounds grew larger. in the end he cultivated worlds that ended up killing the drifters in it and war also played a part in the worlds as well. then he finally moved on after realizing this and then started going to other worlds after 5000 years
candies:

Jul 13, 2023 6:09 PM
Jan 2021
Fav episode so far.
Jul 15, 2023 8:09 AM
Dec 2018
efectivamente, es cine
Sep 11, 2023 10:42 PM

May 2019
These artistic psychologic shows always promisses much and delivers a few.

In resume, for what matters, Dog boy is a problematic teenager (like everyone there) and everything was allegory of him dealing with his psychologic issues and kinda overcoming them, partially, "its something".

Anything else in this show is pure distraction. The worlds? everybody now can drift? time inconsitency? the other random students? Just useless backgroud.

Its so Evangelion.
Nov 2, 2023 1:01 PM

Dec 2015
Reply to St0rmblade
I'm curious about the brief shot of a lying dog with the same disease.
@St0rmblade Is it me or nothing is really clear in this show?

@St0rmblade Yes, nothing was an hyperbole. Each episode is mostly easy to process within itself. I was thinking more about the pverall series, wich doesn't seem to make sense beyond decrypting/interpreting it. That anoying text of "subtext for no text".
Thanks!

3/5
Rei_IIINov 3, 2023 12:26 AM
Nov 2, 2023 5:19 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to Rei_III

@St0rmblade Yes, nothing was an hyperbole. Each episode is mostly easy to process within itself. I was thinking more about the pverall series, wich doesn't seem to make sense beyond decrypting/interpreting it. That anoying text of "subtext for no text".
Thanks!

3/5
Rei_III said:

Well, it gives some food for thought and likes various symbolic stuff. I wouldn't say that "nothing" was clear while watching.

This might be interesting later:
https://letsdiscoverthingsthataregood.wordpress.com/2022/06/30/sonny-boy-final-episodes-interview-with-shingo-natsume/
https://letsdiscoverthingsthataregood.wordpress.com/2021/11/30/shingo-natsumes-commentary-on-sonny-boy/
https://fullfrontal.moe/2000-lightyears-into-sonny-boy-interview-with-shingo-natsume/
Nov 22, 2023 8:08 AM
Apr 2023
This has to be the best episode for me so far in the journey.

The disorienting nature of the art style and the drawing worlds - and the narrative pacing and contrast between the girl in Yamiko's world and what we find out him is so surreal. It gives very strong dystopic vibes while also being something that on an internal perspective of Yamiko's mind is very human. I felt like I was waiting to find a particular episode that finally got into the potential peaks Sonny Boy felt capable of, and this is it. I hope it continues so strongly in my watch.
Feb 15, 2:49 PM

Dec 2019
Huh so his power is essentially being semi schizophrenia, best episode so far though, maybe cuz there weren't any pathetic characters
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

161 by Zorpanur »»
May 27, 2:44 AM

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

19 by Reelens »»
May 26, 7:09 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2021

143 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2021

157 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jamk_ - Jun 18, 2021

270 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 10:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.