Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 7, 2021 3:47 AM
Jan 2021
That episode uses much narrative, maybe it is needed to calm the plot a bit. I think the next one would ve more interesting since it is titled "Jump Classroom".

Maybe Aki-sensei's role is to help and discipline her students in using their powers. Who knows what she will contribute on the story as it will start to change its turning point.
Aug 7, 2021 7:06 AM
Mar 2021
I understand the story but I need to repeat it several times because I am the type of person who is easily distracted if someone talk too long and I am not interested with baseball. In here, the cap talk and talk but the scene is random, it's hard to follow. They should make animation of the monkey to make it easier to understand.
Alice0006Aug 7, 2021 7:09 AM
Aug 7, 2021 9:05 AM
Aug 2016
VanishingKira said:
What that whole monkey metaphor was about:
I think that the world actually shifted when Nagara was about to fall on that rock, he briefly transported to the Monkeys world which probably caused the Blue Monkey to miss that pitch.
Aug 7, 2021 11:05 AM

Mar 2021
Good episode, weird as always. But the teacher at the end with the boobs just made me a bit disappointed, I was kinda glad this wasn't that kind of anime, just hope it doesn't focus on that... besides that it was interesting.
Aug 7, 2021 3:32 PM

Jul 2019
this anime is so weird but i kinda of like it i think? idk, i really didn't understand what the monkeys were or what did they mean tbh but we'll see where this goes next ep i guess.
Aug 7, 2021 7:04 PM
Jul 2018
A good but unusual metaphor about the [capitalist] system, its hierarchy, failures and injustices in society, who's more benefited most and who's not, but also I'd rather think this metaphor also symbolizes as system's antithesis, the baselball as antithesis, like "fight and persist for your views, statements and believes" stuff. The arbitrator monkey argued against the crowd and its favorite player, the blue monkey, a then-legend and once excluded by the same people bc of his hair colour... Anyway, the umpire defended the baseball and its rules he putted his beliefs in, believing in its own fairness, and the crowd defended the icon they deified and was benefited by their world/system, where's always place for the talented ones, that's why Nagara said "What got killed was baseball".

The hopes of the crowd have no bearing on this game. There is a stadium here, and inside it, there are rules. No matter what the reasons may be, things should remain fair in here.
Aug 7, 2021 8:52 PM
Nov 2019
A lot of people are saying this episode was boring but personally I had the opposite reaction. Probably my favorite episode of the series so far.
Aug 7, 2021 9:35 PM

Nov 2018
This was a bad episode.
It doesn't matter if the baseball allegory had deep meaning; it was 20 min of a dude telling a boring story over mostly still frames.
Aug 8, 2021 4:12 AM
Feb 2021
Damn that teacher got me feeling something different 😏
Aug 8, 2021 5:32 AM
Mar 2012
there were real good episodes like ep2, then there's this. baseball monkey time to eyeroll...
More shows this season are using tell dont show eh? and narration from one of the most hated characters no less. The otherwise interesting talent vs commoners theme & pov on sports loses its effectiveness.
About the only theme that has consistency is hammering how pushover passive the mc is each episode.
Aug 8, 2021 10:16 AM
Jun 2021
i liked the monkey story tbh, not at first, but i got more invested in it especially since it lasted the whole episode.

the dead monkey was kinda freaky

at least we have some progression on nagara's power now, even though he cant control it
Aug 8, 2021 11:48 AM

Apr 2019
Pretty fun episode imo. Monkeys and baseball is an weird combination for I'm all for it.

So it seems that Nagara can only get his power to work in certain situations, as shown when he was pushed off the cliff and during the baseball game. He'll probably get it to work in his favor in later episodes

Didn't expect to see their teacher at the end there. Pretty hot lol.
Aug 8, 2021 2:30 PM

Aug 2018
Kind of an odd episode but still fun
_______I like rocks__
Aug 8, 2021 5:21 PM
Mar 2015
Anyone else notice that ms Aki appears in ep 1?

She's wearing totally different clothes and everyone teleports soon after which implies she wasn't taken with everyone else. Also she sounds different but that might just be a cute voice she's putting on in episode 1.
She is also the only named teacher right now. All the other teachers are simply called "teacher".
neoachAug 8, 2021 5:37 PM
Aug 8, 2021 5:34 PM
Mar 2015

The silhouette when Cap describes the world going off-kilter is a character. Does anyone know who it is? I think it's gravity boy but I'm not sure why it would be him.
Aug 8, 2021 10:29 PM
May 2019
So I think cap guy was talking about a game he was in and that there were no monkeys. Though I kind of expected their to be some strange reality breaking shenanigans as that seems to be this shows bread and butter.
Aug 9, 2021 1:40 AM
Aug 2020
Was weird and uninteresting at first watch, but it becomes more exciting as more details of this episode are unpacked.

Ace and the Blue Ape shares the same story. According to Cap, the last pitch of the blue ape carries everyone's hope i.e. to get that baseball record. As for Ace, it's returning to the original world. The slant represents the change of worlds, that means blue ape won't get a strike on that slanted world which kinda parallels with Ace's words "This world is wrong. Let me return to the world where I'm highly regarded"

What nozomi meant when the umpire "defeated the world" is that it defied the pressures of the audience and still followed the rules even when it cost the umpire's life. This somehow resembles with the bet of Ace to Nagara that is to return them to their original world and said "Just do it. Even if you're dying"

At first, you can see how uninterested or unpempathetic Nagara was on the story. At the day of the game, he seems to be just ok of not trying, giving the crowd what they want, and letting Ace win. Until he saw the dead umpire, and learned and understood the one-armed ape's perspective on the Monkey League. "It isn't the umpire who is killed. It is the Baseball" At his last attempt, he managed to do a swing (tho the ball wasnt hit) in honor of the umpire's passion to baseball. Even with just that one swing, he defied the crowd and took a serious attempt of hitting. The changing scene on that part indicates that if Nagara is just determined and focused, he can instantly go to his desired world with ease. While at the end of the episode it showed that he can't choose a specific world, it is the start of him grasping (and taking control) the rules of his abilities and moving out of his shell.

It's just my own take of the episode and might miss or misunderstood some things.
Aug 9, 2021 4:04 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Brilliant episode, it's really getting into the meat of things and I'm getting more and more into the characters. I think they could have maybe done a better job with the monologue, maybe put a bit of extra animation in there? For people who don't know the rules of baseball, it might be hard to understand.

Sleeper hit of the season. And now we even have a busty teacher character joining proceedings.
FarabeufAug 9, 2021 4:08 AM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 9, 2021 4:48 AM

Jul 2016
neoach said:

She's wearing totally different clothes and everyone teleports soon after which implies she wasn't taken with everyone else. Also she sounds different but that might just be a cute voice she's putting on in episode 1.
She is also the only named teacher right now. All the other teachers are simply called "teacher".

Hmmm.. Interesting. Who really is Ms Aki.
Aug 10, 2021 7:29 AM

Sep 2011
neoach said:

glad to see i wasn’t the only one who noticed her

also after rewatching ep1 i noticed she was faxing something before they drifted to the other world
so could it be that she was somehow the cause of this whole thing or was it just a coincidence?
either way im really looking forward to her role in the story

neoach said:

The silhouette when Cap describes the world going off-kilter is a character. Does anyone know who it is? I think it's gravity boy but I'm not sure why it would be him.

i thought it could be asakaze too at the beginning but here:

i think it looks like nozomi. and she does fit the whole “off kilter” description more
HekshiAug 10, 2021 7:41 AM
Aug 12, 2021 3:29 PM

Mar 2009
What the hell was this episode? This show continues to be so dull and boring. Biggest disappointment of the season. For me at least.
Aug 14, 2021 11:04 AM

Jul 2020
Definitely didn't find this episode to be as good compared to the previous ones, but I still found it interesting in certain parts, such as when the class managed to get back to the school for a little bit and when it showed Nagara attempting to get the class back to the school, but failed to do so

I wonder if Nagara has to feel threatened or be put in a certain situation in order to get back to the school, anyways, it will also be interesting to see what happens next now that Ms. Aki showed up and said that all the fun and games end today
Zackack99Aug 14, 2021 11:23 AM
Aug 15, 2021 12:07 AM

Jan 2021
Meh, it was pretty boring. But that cliffhanger. Damn
Aug 17, 2021 12:00 AM

Dec 2016
The amount of confusion in this episode is just mind-blowing.

What was all that monkey thing...how long has it been since they got stuck in the island to know such a long monkey baseball story...

That's some teacher that have tho 👀
But where did she come from?
Aug 20, 2021 1:44 AM
Sep 2017
This episode was so bad. I wanted to drop the entire series right there. The first 3 eps made me rethink that.
Aug 27, 2021 12:54 PM

Apr 2015
Great as always but sensei is the type of character I usually hate the most lol, reading about her before further watching
Aug 30, 2021 12:47 AM

Jan 2013
reject humanity, return to monke was this ep ina nutshell
Aug 30, 2021 3:24 PM
May 2020
miss aki has a nice pair of personalities lol
Aug 31, 2021 1:28 AM

Jul 2011
Quite boring for me this episode, never seen a baseball match in my life, don't know any rules
Sep 7, 2021 9:07 AM

Jul 2021
WTF Factor still off the charts, in a good way. The risk of a wrong turns is very high, though, but this bunch of creative writers can pull it off, methinks.
Sep 16, 2021 3:44 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Monkey playing baseball, that was really interesting, so his power is really a warping ability but he can't control in which world they land, the teacher's appearance at the end though??? that's definitely interesting
Sep 18, 2021 8:37 AM

Mar 2010
Thank god this monke business was getting fucking boring, finally some giant breasts.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 22, 2021 6:49 AM

Oct 2017
Monkey what? I mean uh.

Ace, prez and Asakaze are so annoying and selfish.

Nagara can finally use his power but welp it's not what they expected it to be. Also wow a sensei with a very nice rack came, things are about to get interesting.
Sep 22, 2021 9:36 AM
Aug 2021
Eh, this ep was mostly a filler with the typical baseball game. The monkey story didn't even contribute to the plot and it felt pointless.

Nagara can't warp to the world he wants to which was expected as the show would have ended real soon if he could. Well, one of their teachers showed up, Aki sensei. This ep was actually kinda weird though, the other eps were just surreal and abstract.
Oct 7, 2021 9:03 AM

Jul 2015
Abandon humanity, join the monke league!
I can see the morbid story on the torn apart monkey umpire who followed the rules having some symbolic meaning but also a literal example like referees who are beaten up by hooligans.

Oct 15, 2021 2:22 AM

Dec 2013
This was a really weird episode. I feel bad for the poor monkey umpire.

The teacher at the end had a ridiculously massive chest compared to her students.
Oct 21, 2021 7:55 AM
Oct 2012
Probably the weakest so far, and that's mostly due to the monkey story feeling really weird, so apparently there are some monkeys which appear their which you can only see with a flashlight and cap some how knows the whole history of them playing.
Yet Ace introduced them to it as well.

I like the themes of the story, and I get that its morally representative of the characters but it isn't a retelling speficifally of what happened to them, cap wasn't an umpire for example. and they all acted like there were actualy monkeys playing base ball it just seems a bit out of the blue really.

I did like the story, the meaning and reflection of reality just the monkey story felt out of blue and strangely placed.
Oct 24, 2021 5:36 AM

Apr 2019
This is one of the episodes with the shittiest plot I've ever seen in anime.
Nov 5, 2021 1:45 PM

Dec 2008
Who the fuck cares
Dec 14, 2021 6:57 PM

Dec 2018
i want to watch the monkey leagues...
Dec 19, 2021 3:58 PM

Jan 2021
The teacher was hot
Dec 20, 2021 11:30 PM

May 2015
They talked about monkeys the whole episode, but the only monkey was myself. I went full monke when I saw the teacher lmao
DAMNNNNN she fine af
Jan 1, 2022 8:23 AM

Feb 2018
So the payoff of this episode was the last half minute. Ms Aki lookin' fine ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Feb 6, 2022 2:47 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Yeah fam deadass I was meaning to watch this but I ended up just letting it play in the background while I did other stuff. I mean it's definitely INTERESTING, but not the kind of interesting to keep me personally interested, yeah. I'm sure it's as good as people say, it's just not for me. Even though I'm not into it, I still think you should probably finish it even if you are having second thoughts. Don't force yourself of course, but you might be missing out like I am. Maybe. Or maybe the rest is just more of the same.

I opened the tab that was playing this as it the episode was finishing up, and then this lady who's HUGE just walks out of the sea. Huh. Maybe I'll skim over the next episode before dropping this, for, educational purposes

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 16, 2022 9:32 PM

Mar 2018
Kap92 said:
So the payoff of this episode was the last half minute. Ms Aki lookin' fine ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

That last half minute was all the motivation I needed to keep watching the show lmao
May 2, 2022 3:25 PM
Jul 2014
So all that stuff about the monkeys having baseball leagues and stuff... it sounded like they were in that island world for a long time, several months at least, but at no point does anyone clarify how much time has passed, or if the passage of time is the same as in the real world.
May 11, 2022 8:19 AM

Apr 2016
I would have liked this episode if the Cap 's story about the baseball and the monkey only lasted like three seconds because the more he kept going the more I was rolling my eyes out of lack of interest, I get they had to do an episode about the kids who do sports in school, things about having talent or not, the fact just because you were good in school doesn't mean you are going to be good in professional field or something like that but if only wasn't about boring baseball (I know, I know Japanese love their baseball).

The good thing is that I like the dynamic between Nagara, Mizuho and Nozomi.
SafrichhMay 11, 2022 8:22 AM
Jun 24, 2022 7:24 PM

May 2020
What a weird episode. I appreciate some good monkey content, but you don't even get to see the little semi-humans playing baseball. What a waste.
Jul 6, 2022 1:57 AM

May 2021
Not knowing how baseball works, this episode made no sense, way too much exposition about monkey baseball that ultimately was useless.

It was so much boring text that it's better to just skip to when something really happens.

Worst episode until now, by far.
Aug 26, 2022 12:00 PM
Jul 2021
i enjoied the world building and all the characters evolution
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

19 by Reelens »»
May 26, 7:09 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2021

143 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2021

157 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jamk_ - Jun 18, 2021

270 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 10:46 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2021

296 by mabba »»
Apr 28, 5:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.