Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 5, 2019 4:54 AM

May 2013
I glad on how they made Thorfin joined the Madara guy well done. it wasn't force at all.
Aug 5, 2019 5:10 AM

Jun 2017
Hmm another development episode for poor Thorfinn. Next episode looks like there's gonna be a big battle, looking forward to it.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Aug 5, 2019 5:14 AM

Nov 2012
youthful said:
Are we yet again on another episode with feels?
God damn it. Protect the poor child at all cost.

It was so hard for me to watch Thorfinn suffer, trying to survive on his own.

That was me when Ylva was at the cloth loom... even before she teared up cuz I knew exactly what she was doing.
Aug 5, 2019 5:20 AM

Feb 2014
Thorfinn, bless him, is one main character that I want to root for in his ultimate goal of avenging his father's death by killing Askeladd. But the hard work towards his goal has just started as he really struggled to get to grips with a sword and made an embarrassment out of himself when he challenged Askeladd to a duel.

The historical accuracy was spot on as well, when Askeladd's team raided an innocent village by the Humber River in England, killing all of the men and taking the women away for their own selfish desires. It was certainly disturbing...

As for Ylva, I don't blame her for trying to continue working hard after hearing that her father was killed and her younger brother went missing, but eventually, Helga's words was enough to let Ylva cry and properly mourn over Thors' death. Poor girl =(

Another thing that I really like about this episode was the countless amount of beautiful background art. From the woodlands to the farmer's fields at sunset, each of these background arts are worthy of a wallpaper for one's desktop computer or laptop. It's THAT good. =3
Aug 5, 2019 5:45 AM

Jan 2019
Zehennagel said:
I think the anime original doesn't realy get the manga. thorfinn is way too joyous and at the end of the scene, they make it look like something like a heroic/epic journey(when after being all happy over his knife, he starts having a serious look and looks into the way of the village) apart from that the adaptation is great since the begining, thorfinn's voice actor is especially great when he shouts from the boat(that was ep4 though) and exept for this part, I think they do get the manga.
Elucid said:
Manga reader here, they got the anime original episode right.
Poor Thorfinn, I've never seen him in so much pain and struggle.
Absolute brilliant episode.
I disagree for the reasons I stated up above, they make this part look like an "epic" journey exept it realy doesn't make sense for the character imo
uninstallthegame said:
eh, was pretty average. kinda gave off vagabond vibes with the whole getting ready for the duel, surviving in the woods, but less brutal. the revenge plot isn't anything amazing, but we'll see what more it has to offer
hey man you can read when I wrote earlier for that. Well, it was an anime original and doesn't realy fit the plot imo, but I can guarentee you it is an exeptional manga.

It's too early in terms of character development to start saying that his character doesn't fit. What character are you referring to? 17 year old Thorfinn? As I said, way too early. Plenty more development before the edgy character we know in the manga. He's gained skills that are new to him, of course he would be joyous about it. He still shares the same hatred for Askeladd as the manga does, so is he supposed to be emotionless even when he's alone?
Keep in mind that he's 6 and boy hasn't even killed anyone or seen a battlefield up close yet.
Aug 5, 2019 6:36 AM

Jul 2017
Elucid said:
Zehennagel said:
I think the anime original doesn't realy get the manga. thorfinn is way too joyous and at the end of the scene, they make it look like something like a heroic/epic journey(when after being all happy over his knife, he starts having a serious look and looks into the way of the village) apart from that the adaptation is great since the begining, thorfinn's voice actor is especially great when he shouts from the boat(that was ep4 though) and exept for this part, I think they do get the manga.
I disagree for the reasons I stated up above, they make this part look like an "epic" journey exept it realy doesn't make sense for the character imo
hey man you can read when I wrote earlier for that. Well, it was an anime original and doesn't realy fit the plot imo, but I can guarentee you it is an exeptional manga.

It's too early in terms of character development to start saying that his character doesn't fit. What character are you referring to? 17 year old Thorfinn? As I said, way too early. Plenty more development before the edgy character we know in the manga. He's gained skills that are new to him, of course he would be joyous about it. He still shares the same hatred for Askeladd as the manga does, so is he supposed to be emotionless even when he's alone?
Keep in mind that he's 6 and boy hasn't even killed anyone or seen a battlefield up close yet.
yes..indeed, I don't remember everything either tbh. regardless I think this part in the forest looked "epic" or "heroic" and that didn't fit the character or the manga imo. though he might be gaining more and more "hate" as time goes I just don't remember.
Aug 5, 2019 7:58 AM

May 2015
Zehennagel said:
Elucid said:
Manga reader here, they got the anime original episode right.
Poor Thorfinn, I've never seen him in so much pain and struggle.
Absolute brilliant episode.
uninstallthegame said:
eh, was pretty average. kinda gave off vagabond vibes with the whole getting ready for the duel, surviving in the woods, but less brutal. the revenge plot isn't anything amazing, but we'll see what more it has to offer

Thorfinn changes from between the flashback and the starting point in the manga. It's obvious that he does, but in the manga, we don't see any of this. We go from present, to past, and then immediately back to present. They're just trying to flesh out his past more and give more context to his transformation into his teenage self. They're trying to show that this was a gradual change and something that Thorfinn would have struggled with mentally and physically. It doesn't fit his future character yet, but that's kinda the point. This IS a journey of self-discovery and improvement. Just one that wasn't shown in the source material. Granted, you could probably infer most of this without having to actually see it, but I really think this adds to the story in a positive way. Which is rare for an anime original episode.
TsukuyomiREKTAug 5, 2019 8:03 AM

Aug 5, 2019 9:12 AM

Dec 2015
This is how you do a slow paced episode. Viland Saga is always suprising me, and it's definitely my favorite contender for AOTS
Aug 5, 2019 9:17 AM

Feb 2019
l have one word for this episode--beautiful. From the backgrounds to the character development, I am absolutely blown away. If Wit continues this trend with Vinland Saga this will probably turn out to be AOTY alongside Part 2 Season 3 of Attack on Titan.
Aug 5, 2019 9:18 AM
Feb 2009
omg Thorfinn's sister finally cried T.T
Aug 5, 2019 10:15 AM

Jul 2019
Great episode and an essential turning point in terms of character development and the hero's journey.The art style is something else. This show and Kimetsu no Yaiba really do a grat job in terms of background graphics. Thorfinn's sister deserves a badge for being an absolute badass. Somehow I like Askkelad and his crew... Their job is looting and plundering, but when it comes to their own kind they are pretty pragmatic. The Troll's crew is still alive and little pipsqueak despite killing them being the much 'cleaner' option.

However I think my heart has turned to stone when it comes to hsyterical sobbing of children in anime. Zero emotional impact. I mean great for the voice actor because he get's paid for non-verbal filler sound.But for me personnally it was soannoying to sit through this...
Aug 5, 2019 11:18 AM

Mar 2018
Holy Backgrounds.

Was worried about the anime original thing, but as everyone said, it didn't feel like one at all.

Askeladd is pretty much the perfect antagonist so far, loving and hating him at the same time.

Wit's gotta leave the other studios a chance,'cause so far they made the two best anime this year.
Aug 5, 2019 11:21 AM

Jul 2017
TsukuyomiREKT said:
Zehennagel said:

Thorfinn changes from between the flashback and the starting point in the manga. It's obvious that he does, but in the manga, we don't see any of this. We go from present, to past, and then immediately back to present. They're just trying to flesh out his past more and give more context to his transformation into his teenage self. They're trying to show that this was a gradual change and something that Thorfinn would have struggled with mentally and physically. It doesn't fit his future character yet, but that's kinda the point. This IS a journey of self-discovery and improvement. Just one that wasn't shown in the source material. Granted, you could probably infer most of this without having to actually see it, but I really think this adds to the story in a positive way. Which is rare for an anime original episode.
allright you convinced me. I still think, I may repeat myself, but I felt it had an "epic-heroic" feel which doesn't fit the story, but apart from this which wasn't that important, you convinced me.
Aug 5, 2019 11:58 AM
Jul 2018
Anime original episode???! I thought this was better episode than last one because from this episode I am starting to like mc abit more (reminds me of fma 03 first original episode and hxh 99 as well) although all episode I ended up liking it. sugoi wit studio!
Aug 5, 2019 12:29 PM
Jul 2019
That's the kind of a filler that's done pretty right and fits well into the story with helping building up the characters.

Ylva's reaction really got me. Trying too hard to keep herself busy till she exploded at the end.
Aug 5, 2019 1:25 PM

Dec 2009
A filler episode done right,good job Wit!
Aug 5, 2019 1:33 PM

Apr 2018
I'm not really a fan of this anime but those backgrounds goddammit
Aug 5, 2019 1:46 PM

Oct 2011
nicely done filler, good ep overall .

it has been a bit tiring for me to see thorfinn keeps trying without thinking and growing so much but im sure it'll happen so no worries.

also wanna see what becomes of ylva!
Aug 5, 2019 2:01 PM

Jan 2014
papsoshea said:
Ylva's scene with her mother over the news about the death of Thors

Every scene with Ylva and her mother were in the manga. This was bonus chapter in the volume.
Aug 5, 2019 2:12 PM
Jun 2015
Seygneur said:
Great episode and an essential turning point in terms of character development and the hero's journey.The art style is something else. This show and Kimetsu no Yaiba really do a grat job in terms of background graphics. Thorfinn's sister deserves a badge for being an absolute badass. Somehow I like Askkelad and his crew... Their job is looting and plundering, but when it comes to their own kind they are pretty pragmatic. The Troll's crew is still alive and little pipsqueak despite killing them being the much 'cleaner' option.

However I think my heart has turned to stone when it comes to hsyterical sobbing of children in anime. Zero emotional impact. I mean great for the voice actor because he get's paid for non-verbal filler sound.But for me personnally it was soannoying to sit through this...
trust me thorfinn isn't a hero at all
Aug 5, 2019 2:49 PM

Jul 2019
Archer123 said:
trust me thorfinn isn't a hero at all

Let me guess another chad- anti hero? Guess I will need to read the manga in a couple of days.
Aug 5, 2019 7:07 PM

Oct 2013
Seeing Thorfinn going through all this reminded me a lot of Guts going through all his shit when he was a kid.

Aug 5, 2019 7:44 PM

Jul 2016
Great episode. Thorfinn train himself to be strong but didnt reach Askeladd. And he join the pirate, promised to give him reward of a duel if he get achivement. Overall its slow episode, with some emotional scenes. To the next episode.

Aug 5, 2019 7:46 PM
May 2015
Askeladd truely wanted Thor to lead his crew. He's actually not the antagonist in this story; in fact he's a truly beautiful and complex character. He's a leader of warriors, who yearns a true leader with direction who can lead them somewhere of purpose. As it is now, he leads them as a band of sellswords, but he obviously wants more. We can tell he's so pained that he was willing to be struck dead by a child if it meant he didn't have to face the ridicule of his warrior family/subordinates.

I foresee Askeladd becoming a more intimate mentor to Thorfinn. I hope the show leans in that direction, but I'm also open to an even better surprise. I LOVE THIS SHOW.
Aug 5, 2019 8:23 PM
Mar 2018
Ishigami Shizuka (voice actress) plays two characters in this season.

VINLAND SAGA

HOW HEAVY ARE THE DUMBBELLS YOU LIFT?
Aug 5, 2019 8:27 PM

Mar 2012
MonkeyDHunter said:
Even for an anime-original episode Wit Studio outdid themselves once again. After the death of Thors and Thorfinn's disappearance Ylva became the man of the house. Gotta love how hardworking she is yet it is a distraction to deal with all this. It was also hard to see Thorfinn going through all this but he's slowly getting the skills he needs to survive. He has still a long way to go though. Askeladd is still as entertaining as ever.
I agree with everything you said. I'm always on edge with anime original stuff (not a fan of something Wit added to Aot back in season 1 but pleasantly surprised with others). This didn't feel like filler at all but a natural progression that was missing in the manga.
Aug 6, 2019 12:28 AM

Mar 2019
The great thing is that people are really into an episode like this, but this doesn't even come anyyyyyyyyyyyyyyywhere close to the quality that will grace this show later on. It will be legendary later.
Aug 6, 2019 3:01 AM

Jun 2013
It's an anime original but goes with the story in the manga. I enjoyed it.

It was hard seeing Thorfinn go hungry. My cousin and I do volunteer work feeding kids from low economic backgrounds and seeing hungry kids for us is common but I can never get used to it. Seeing him go hungry reminds me of that.

This episode is just a preview of what's to come. Askeladd is not surrounded by good people. He's not exactly good either but I wouldn't say he's entirely bad. That is all I can say. I love Askeladd he is one of my favorite characters but other than Thorfinn, who is also my fave, the others I could care less about.
臭い-
Aug 6, 2019 3:41 AM
Jun 2017
thorfinn having a duel be like, level 1 vs boss level... its painful to watch thorfinn struggling so much... but well im seeing this will motivate him to be a better warrior in the future..
Aug 6, 2019 3:55 AM

May 2019
Thorfinn's emotions and the realistic nature of the world is conveyed really well.

The characterisation of Askeladd just continues to improve. This is definitely my pick for anime of the year (either that or Kimetsu no Yaiba, but considering it's only been 5 episodes and It's already in contention...)

Amazing episode; has the potential to become a classic seinen (or shonen) anime.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Aug 6, 2019 4:41 AM

Jul 2016
Florent3571 said:
Holy Backgrounds.

Was worried about the anime original thing, but as everyone said, it didn't feel like one at all.

Askeladd is pretty much the perfect antagonist so far, loving and hating him at the same time.

Wit's gotta leave the other studios a chance,'cause so far they made the two best anime this year.

as a non-manga reader I was surprised to hear this was filler.

Fits very very well with everything else.
Aug 6, 2019 4:51 AM

Apr 2018
Poor Thorfinn experiencing something a kid shouldn't experience yet and it looks like he'll be alone for a while
Aug 6, 2019 4:52 AM

Apr 2018
yosi_kasi said:
Ishigami Shizuka (voice actress) plays two characters in this season.

VINLAND SAGA

HOW HEAVY ARE THE DUMBBELLS YOU LIFT?

Lmaoo didn't expect that.
Aug 6, 2019 6:20 AM

Nov 2013
The pacing is pretty good, I like the character development we’re getting . Wonder if there’ll be a timeskip tho
Aug 6, 2019 6:54 AM

Feb 2015
I get why everyone feels bad for him, I do too, but I usually fucking hate child characters and this kid is no exception. He just irritates me and his stupidity doesn't help. As things stand, he's another annoying child character, a fucking timeskip cannot come soon enough. Everything else is extremely interesting, just not the kid.
Aug 6, 2019 8:32 AM

Jul 2009
This episode is so well-done that I was surprised to learn it was an anime original. I'm liking Askeladd even more now, and suffice to say he's my favorite character in the show. Thorfinn's anger is heartfelt as always, and I got a bit teary-eyed myself when Ylva released her pent-up feelings for her late father.
Aug 6, 2019 8:32 AM
Nov 2017
Yautja said:
I get why everyone feels bad for him, I do too, but I usually fucking hate child characters and this kid is no exception. He just irritates me and his stupidity doesn't help. As things stand, he's another annoying child character, a fucking timeskip cannot come soon enough. Everything else is extremely interesting, just not the kid.

If they didn't do the original episode again, the anime should be in time skip for the next week.
Aug 6, 2019 8:58 AM

Sep 2017
Loved this episode !

It took me 35 minutes to watch it because I kept pausing it and saving some wallpapers, there were many gorgeous scenes in this episode, I hope the next ones will help filling my wallpaper folder
Aug 6, 2019 9:13 AM

Jul 2016
Every episode is so immersive, loving it
Aug 6, 2019 10:58 AM

Oct 2017
Ylva sure is a strong and caring girl. She tried her best at not to cry but at the end she let it out.Thorfin trying to survive on his own and challeging Askelad was frustrating to watch.Well we might get a time skip soon.
Aug 6, 2019 12:29 PM
Feb 2016
Here is another small detail that some watchers might have missed that I just noticed on re-watch.

Notice how Askeladd is looking at his arm? That's the same arm he used to deflect Thorfinn's dagger. He was genuinely impressed with his strength and fortitude, which was why he told him to achieve something great on the battlefield first before he dueled him again.

He is essentially using Thorfinn's hatred of him as a means of recruiting him.

Great touch and another reason as to why this is in the AOTY contention already.
Aug 6, 2019 12:47 PM
May 2018
In this episode, I really loved the beauty of the landscapes! This forest was beautiful! <3

I have now a new background ;)
Aug 6, 2019 12:54 PM

Jun 2019
Not to much to say, just another great episode! Seeing Thorfinn try to survive in the woods and train was cool.
Aug 6, 2019 8:38 PM

Oct 2016
-Ylva's little side-plot in this episode was very touching. Her smiling after the tears started flowing and then covering her eyes broke my heart. She's trying to stay strong for her mother. The way this all was depicted and animated was perfect. They didn't shove the emotions down your throat. It was just there for you to take in yourself.
-I feel like in a lot of anime, when a character stabs a beast coming at them, it dies immediately. This anime did such a good job with the wolf's death. It didn't die fast, it kept attacking, and it eventually fell over. It also seemed like such an important scene as well, and the animators executed it perfectly.
-I liked Thorfinn's and Askeladd's fights in this episode. It's going to be weird if Askeladd ends up being a major mentor to Thorfinn.
-Thorfinn's development is so good so far, and I feel like it will only get better.
-Wit Studio nails the art constantly.
All and all, this is easily the best anime of the season so far. I have a feeling that by the end, it will be a 9 for me.

Aug 6, 2019 8:57 PM

Oct 2016
_MushiRock11_ said:
Good lord, there were some wallpaper background material this episode!

But my favourite is easily this:

A really good anime-original episode to show the growth of Thorfinn and liken ourselves to Askeladd!

Helga hardly flinching over the news, she totally saw this coming but it was still crazy admirable. Ylga, on the other hand, was really strong but once her cover was blown, I couldn't help but shed a tear. Leif pledges to find Thorfinn however long it takes, i wonder how that'll go. Meanwhile, Thorfinn has it rough surviving alone in the forest and hardly finding enough food but it's good to see that he's slowly polishing his skills. He truly is Thors's son, rejecting to finish off Askeladd in his sleep. But it's good to see that Askeladd is denying to finish him off too, he probably sees some true potential in him unless of course it is out of respect to Thors. Damn, that village massacre though, horrific stuff.

Looking forward to more of this greatness! I've a feeling Thofinn will sneak into one of the ships again lol but we'll see how that goes next episode!

Edit: Next Episode Preview: https://twitter.com/v_saga_anime/status/1158038931239243776?s=21

Mike4992 said:
SchwingBoner said:
Really good ep and lots of beautiful scenery.

Wit Studio's on fire.
This year, they've blessed us with 10 amazing episodes of Attack on Titan, as well as more 26 episodes of Vinland Saga. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were to adapt classic manga series in the future. We can only hope for a Berserk adaptation by Wit Studio.

Absolutely gorgeous. We are so lucky to have such a quality atmosphere. Does the manga stack up at all compared to this?
>We can only hope for a Berserk adaptation by Wit Studio.
We will never be so fortunate, but if I could choose any studio to do it, it would be Wit for sure.

Bowman145 said:
Another great episode! I loved some of the background art in this episode.

It’s good seeing thorfinn slowly progress. I’m still liking askeladd as a character.

I understand that the characters in this anime aren't entirely black and white morally, but Askeladd is still a jerk. He's a promise-breaking rat.

Jfs_ said:
Tfw your anime-original episode is better than 99% of the other anime in this season.

And This episode is also a wallpaper material. The art background is the best of TV anime of 2019 so far.
this and kimetsu no yaiba is the only ongoing anime with a great art visuals and animation.

>Tfw your anime-original episode is better than 99% of the other anime in this season.
As someone who hasn't read the manga, it blows my mind that an anime-original episode is this good. I would've never guessed that it is anime-original, as most of those are usually either bad, really bad, or in some lucky xases, average or above average. This may end up being AOTY.

Aug 6, 2019 10:59 PM

Aug 2015
Another great episode. Really sad to see Thorfinn that way...I can understand why he is that way. He just lost his father 😭. The way Thor's daughter held back her tears and was trying to be strong for her mother was really inspiring and sad when she finally cried. Can't wait for the next episode.
Aug 7, 2019 1:02 AM

Dec 2018
See, this is one of the greatest benefits to animation: The fact that you can tell a character's story, feelings and motivation without them ever speaking a word. Thorfinn says NOTHING to himself or the crewmembers, but you can still perfectly tell the amount of hate and desperation he has, yet also tell how hesitant he is to kill a man. Making Thorfinn not speak at all during this segment makes it so much more realistic, people who have their parents murdered in real life usually won't be screaming and yelling at the murderer, but so overcome with greif and emotion that they can't even talk. Forcing us to rely on his body language for information instead is great. God damn, I love this medium.
Aug 7, 2019 7:25 AM
Jun 2015
COOKIECAT360 said:
See, this is one of the greatest benefits to animation: The fact that you can tell a character's story, feelings and motivation without them ever speaking a word. Thorfinn says NOTHING to himself or the crewmembers, but you can still perfectly tell the amount of hate and desperation he has, yet also tell how hesitant he is to kill a man. Making Thorfinn not speak at all during this segment makes it so much more realistic, people who have their parents murdered in real life usually won't be screaming and yelling at the murderer, but so overcome with greif and emotion that they can't even talk. Forcing us to rely on his body language for information instead is great. God damn, I love this medium.
That's how wit always does it. Take the ocean scene for example. That Mikasa smile was bittersweet. Alot of anime just EXPLAIN what they're doing with blank faces. Jc staff for example
Aug 7, 2019 11:18 AM
Apr 2016
shane_nichols said:
COOKIECAT360 said:
That's how wit always does it. Take the ocean scene for example. That Mikasa smile was bittersweet. Alot of anime just EXPLAIN what they're doing with blank faces. Jc staff for example

I might be crushing your one-dimensional party here, but these faces, both you reference, Thorfin and Mikasa, are one-page drawings. The animation has nothing to do with it, they way they were drawn by the original creator. See, if you praise something for nothing, knowledgeable people get angery.
Re:formed
Aug 7, 2019 12:07 PM
Feb 2018
I really didn't like the kid for the first 3 episodes, i found him way too prideful and annoying particularly towards his father.
But this episode, oh my god, it's the best anime episode i've seen since attack on titan easily.
It's easily the best episode of the show as the kid goes from an annoyance to one of my top 3 favorite characters in a instant.

I think the relationship between him and his dad's killer as well as the one who held him at knife point looks so interesting so i can't wait to see the rest.

The return home was a tad weird though as it really didn't feel like the father died, i'm used to huge tears but none here.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2019

256 by FarCritical »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by FarCritical »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2019

174 by FarCritical »»
May 29, 11:17 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2019

329 by FarCritical »»
May 29, 8:09 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2019

397 by FarCritical »»
May 27, 12:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.