Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 18, 2018 1:31 AM

Jun 2017
For the people who are complaining about the time skip, nothing significant happened in those two years. So it is a necessary time skip unlike in the first season.
And if you are curious about the "imagination power" I recommend you to watch Accel world.
Nov 18, 2018 2:29 AM
May 2013
Uhhmm why isnt Kirito more worried about spending so much time in there. Even if he knows less time is spent in the real world he has still experienced 2 years away from asuna, his friends and family, he doesnt seem at all disturbed by this.
Nov 18, 2018 2:42 AM

Dec 2013
Seems the power of feelings is going to play a factor in the series.

That cliffhanger!
Nov 18, 2018 2:58 AM

Mar 2017
Two year time skip huh. Looks like a lot of stuff changed.
I'm hyped for next weeks duel.
Nov 18, 2018 3:37 AM
Jan 2018
sgs2008 said:
Uhhmm why isnt Kirito more worried about spending so much time in there. Even if he knows less time is spent in the real world he has still experienced 2 years away from asuna, his friends and family, he doesnt seem at all disturbed by this.

He is disturbed by it but it's not been adapted.
Nov 18, 2018 3:39 AM
Jan 2018
Minar-kyun said:

2 years for him . Only 18 hours for the people in the Real world
Nov 18, 2018 3:50 AM

Mar 2017
Mattinator95 said:
Minar-kyun said:

Mattinator95 said:
Minar-kyun said:

Yeah I know that :)
Nov 18, 2018 5:17 AM

Jul 2014
That opening exposition dump was horribly written, easily my least favourite way of writing them and a really bad example of them to boot. Most of the rest of the episode was okay, but the unnecessary jerks don't fit at all, and you can bet the whole thing about confidence being able to surpass actual skill will be used as an asspull next episode and many times beyond (and no, I don't give a damn that it's linked to the terrible show known as Accel World, if anything that only makes it more ridiculous than it already is).
Nov 18, 2018 6:19 AM
Jan 2018
Congrats kirto your now the older then asuana. Even though your still younger then her in the Real world.

18 hours have passed since epiosde 2 then so kitro must have been put in the underworld just after Rinko arrived
Nov 18, 2018 7:09 AM

Mar 2016
It's so odd that in two episodes, two years have already passed. Now, is virtual Kirito older than real Kirito?

The sound Eugeo made when Kirito tapped him on the back was so cute!!

What was wrong with Kirito's eyes in some shots? It's like the eyes and the face didn't belong together. The size, shape and angle were rather off.

The world is getting quite interesting. I really hope we get to explore this world thoroughly, without it switching to something boring once again.

There are some senpais who look like they will end up creating a cliched plot for a while. Hope that their arc ends soon.
Nov 18, 2018 8:04 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Mattinator95 said:
Tokoya said:
I'd really appreciate that, thanks!

Dat comparison lol

I think this one should surffice.

https://youtu.be/MZffdSoK_3g

This one was before the epiosde started so It may not mention the flashback. But should give you the general idea on what was missing .....
Thanks a lot buddy!
Nov 18, 2018 8:21 AM
Jan 2016
Awesome episode, as always!

Oh, they already had a timeskip of two years, nice to see how much they have developed his sword techniques, and sword school outfit looks cool!

I liked a lot to meet Sortiliena, she seems to be a good character, and really strong aswell with her whip skills, she is beautifull and kind, and of course Kirito always make friendship with new girls! xD

Seems dormitory have stupid guys descriminating Kirito and Eogeo for being from a poor village! But they will never stand a chance against Kirito!

The Kirito's new sword is just wonderfull, really beautifull, i get nostalgic feels about his two last swords, and of course his sword have to be black/purple!

At last Kirito because of just a stain, will have a duel against the first from sword academy, if he cant win against Sortiliena, almost certainly he can beat number 1, but atleast he can test his new sword!

So hyped for last episode! But we have to wait! :o
Nov 18, 2018 8:45 AM
Jan 2018
FuMomo-kun said:
It's so odd that in two episodes, two years have already passed. Now, is virtual Kirito older than real Kirito?

The sound Eugeo made when Kirito tapped him on the back was so cute!!

What was wrong with Kirito's eyes in some shots? It's like the eyes and the face didn't belong together. The size, shape and angle were rather off.

The world is getting quite interesting. I really hope we get to explore this world thoroughly, without it switching to something boring once again.

There are some senpais who look like they will end up creating a cliched plot for a while. Hope that their arc ends soon.

Yep he's two years older in the underworld but still the same age in the Real world.

18 hours have passed in the Real world since he's been in the simulation. The timeline is quite confusing as it dosnt state when kitro actually got put into that world but people can assume that he was in the world just after rinko joined the project.

And the scene with her waking up we could say kitro left the village during that night and 5 months went past before he arrived at a farm which had the event that was cut. Before the next accelerated time skip
Nov 18, 2018 10:43 AM

Mar 2016
omg half of the episode was painfull boring to watch. we're talking about kirito, the op mc of anime history... was such a disgrace to see him this weak/faking. the only good thing is now that we're going to see kirito beat the shit out of him with the new op sword
Nov 18, 2018 12:21 PM
Sep 2016
caio_brb said:
JudoJD said:
This episode...mmmmhhhh.. I understand a lot of TV anime are written in a way to let viewers in Japan who may have missed past episodes hop on and understand what's going on but it makes the dialogue (not that well written already to be frank with the exception of ep 2 which was baseline decent) especially braindead. (Hey..lemme remind you about that thing you already know over and over and monologue it to myself because of how braindead our audience is...btw.. You're supposed to care about these other characters we threw at you btw)

Now returning to SAO...The more I think about it.. I'm starting to feel like I understand why a lot of the anime community (mostly those "more experienced" with anime not the newcomers) were seeing how bad and dumb the writing in this series is.
I can't keep shaking the feeling of "that's stupid".....wow.... I actually thought this ish was (ashamed to admit ) kinda good when I started watching anime..in fact I hate to admit it's what got me into anime
Idk...already know I have bad taste in anime but..but...I actually thought this was kinda good lol..I'm sorry it's just frustrating to think about...It's like you really need some really (like REALLY) high level of BS tolerance to keep enjoying SAO ... I can't just turn my brain off and not think about what's going on anymore

(and yes...yes... I've read the novels...somehow)

You don't need to do such thing. I watched more anime and read more manga than most of those people and I still enjoy SAO. Anime is a subjective thing, it's for you to enjoy and have fun, not to be overcritical and feeling down for liking what you do. There's a reason for why this series is popular in Japan and outside of it and it's because people like it and don't have fear to admit.

Lemme rephrase.. I mean the more critical minded viewers. I understand a lot of people don't like putting any or much thought into some stuff...unfortunately I'm not one of them. I kinda feel like you just know there's a problem when you actively have to go out of your way to ignore flaws that take you out of the experience just so you can enjoy something. It's a double edged sword. For some other anime are bit of thought put into them from the viewer just enhances the enjoyment to a whole new level. Don't know how to describe it. It's like this sort of high where you just FEEL it
It's just me finally seeing how bad Sword art online is despite already having realized it was never as good as I initially thought after becoming a bit more open-minded to the criticism directed towards it.... There were some things I couldn't notice before and now that I get to see it while it's airing and see the really poor attempts at refuting criticism from the fanbase I just see a mirror screaming "You were this dumb"....but anyways. It's just me.
I'm not into mob mentality so who cares whether it's the most popular thing on the planet. Good ideas...really really poor execution but I understand why people like it
JudoJDNov 18, 2018 1:02 PM
1.1.Six
Nov 18, 2018 12:34 PM
Sep 2016
Takao_21 said:
JudoJD said:
This episode...mmmmhhhh.. I understand a lot of TV anime are written in a way to let viewers in Japan who may have missed past episodes hop on and understand what's going on but it makes the dialogue (not that well written already to be frank with the exception of ep 2 which was baseline decent) especially braindead. (Hey..lemme remind you about that thing you already know over and over and monologue it to myself because of how braindead our audience is...btw.. You're supposed to care about these other characters we threw at you btw)

Now returning to SAO...The more I think about it.. I'm starting to feel like I understand why a lot of the anime community (mostly those "more experienced" with anime not the newcomers) were seeing how bad and dumb the writing in this series is.
I can't keep shaking the feeling of "that's stupid".....wow.... I actually thought this ish was (ashamed to admit ) kinda good when I started watching anime..in fact I hate to admit it's what got me into anime
Idk...already know I have bad taste in anime but..but...I actually thought this was kinda good lol..I'm sorry it's just frustrating to think about...It's like you really need some really (like REALLY) high level of BS tolerance to keep enjoying SAO ... I can't just turn my brain off and not think about what's going on anymore

(and yes...yes... I've read the novels...somehow)

It’s more of a shame that people feel the need to feel ashamed over what they view and enjoy in entertainment lmao. I started watching anime constantly and on daily basis 3 years ago, and Used to watch shounen anime when i was a kid (DBZ and captain tsubasa), yet I still enjoy find enjoyment with SAO and like to watch it, just saying, and that’s my take. I echo what the person above me said.

It's just me finally seeing how bad Sword art online is despite already having realized it was never as good as I initially thought.. There were some things I couldn't notice before and now that I get to see it while it's airing and see the really poor attempts at refuting criticism from the fanbase I just see a mirror screaming "You were this dumb"....but anyways. It's just me. I'm just trying to figure out how I enjoyed this level of garbage two years ago.
I can still see why some people think this is good though and that's fine....just personally finding myself outgrowing it. It's intriguing to think how genuinely amazing SAO would have been if Reki kawahara just gave his ideas to a slightly competent writer.
The opposite happens. Gone back to certain series I was kinda eh about only to realize how great they were...some better than I initially thought...while some others turn out to be "yeah...no..this is pretty trash now that I think about it"

Again it's just me. Opinions change over time
1.1.Six
Nov 18, 2018 1:58 PM

Jul 2016
Nice to see kirito and eugeo again. I like the design of the sword. Dat cliffhanger tho.

Nov 18, 2018 2:31 PM
Jan 2018
lazar2222 said:
I like how Kirito didn't look at the sword's level.
My interpretation is that if sword required higher object control authority he would still be able to wield it because he wouldn't know it and believing might raise his level just enough.

Yup, I was wondering this but it makes a lot of sense! :)
Nov 18, 2018 2:33 PM
Jan 2018
Terkhev said:
Gwah, I hate it when they cut us off right before interesting fight.
I totally expected him to get 2nd sword when he talked about getting something ready. Tho it seems he will stick with only 1 in Alicization?
Those bad guys are so... bad. That's one of biggest flaws of SAO for me - cheap small time villains.

Don't agree, some people aren't just bad or evil, they see their reality and might see-perceive a person full of himself and on his own perspective just want to put him in his place...

That said this kind of behavior, mobbing, happens all around, Once I have a kid I will educate him properly for not doing it and just standing and facing that in a proper way. Being Stronger and kicking the bully on his face. its not being evil, but immature. And most people live all their lives inmmaturely...
Nov 18, 2018 2:37 PM
Jan 2018
Loved this episode!

Liked the time skip and how things have progressed so far, even progression is not that great for Kirito, and I do lack seeing how has he progressed in the "sacred arts" which seem to be key to manipulating this new "digital reality" he is in...
So far loved the scenes regarding the tree and the new sword....

On the matter of the duel, I cannot wait to see episode 8th... I just hope they do not put another flashback or more "real world only" as that would suck..

I do want to see Kirito facing and, obviously winning, the match to come and also, giving her trainer, the deserved gift ;)

Haven't had so much fun with an anime since a long time, the feeling of putting yourself in the skin of the character...
I am loving it so far!

Nov 18, 2018 2:47 PM

Jan 2013
Goblin Slayer and SAO are back with great episodes this week.

Next episode will be epic! I hope Kirito can defeat that guy.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Nov 18, 2018 3:42 PM
Jan 2016
i honestly hated this episode i don't mind a 2 year time skip if it's warranted. I don't read LN but i honestly feel alot of cut because the pacing was so irregular. I don't understand whats the point of skipping so much, if the LN did that i would rather them make anime original episodes to transition from the time skip much more naturally.

This feels like the oppsite " show don't tell"

You know in high school for English it quite known to not have ur stories say " person goes to shops then..... then this occurs .... then...." Its this episode in a nutshell. Alot of unnature dialogue that doesn't sound like how real people can talk, conversations that sounds like exposition dumps like" remember 2 years ago..... ,last year ...."Explaining events offscreen instead of actual showing that 2 years. I would prefer if they made a 3 episode anime original in order to smooth the transition.

those bad guys just look so generic, dull camera work. Honestly after the boring real world info dump that was the last two episode then became another info dump. Kinda optimistic but definitely disapointed.
Nov 18, 2018 6:08 PM

Jan 2016
RIP Zakkaria Tournament arc

Nah whatever, next episode hype.
Nov 18, 2018 9:41 PM

Jun 2017
HeroicHealer said:
Just a question why did Kirito fail at the five-hit strike ability when he nearly got it to activate? :/

It was never activated. The flickering light effect was a way of showing that the 5 hit skill cannot be activated with it.
Nov 18, 2018 10:49 PM

Sep 2017
Ooh, I had a flashback to the Aincrad days when he pulled out a Black Sword.

Certainly good episode. Damn, can't wait to see that fight. With all this nice visuals, it might turn up really good (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง.
Nov 19, 2018 5:44 AM

Feb 2014
I must say, Kirito's new sword looks really beautiful, both in design and colour. =)

Going by what the LN reader's have mentioned, there was one small arc that was skipped to get to where the anime is now and the reasons why it was skipped sounds reasonable and legit.

Liena's fighting skills are pretty badass, though. Kirito have to work extra hard just to keep up with her during their sparring. However, she still feels frustrated that she can't beat Volo, who is the first seat of the academy.

However, thanks to Kirito's practise swings with his new sword kicking up dirt into Volo's uniform, the both of them will go at it in the next episode. Who do I want to win in this fight? Although Volo looks more intimidating, I'm not fond of his personality, so I hope Kirito wins this fight. =)

So yeah, great episode once more.
Nov 19, 2018 9:16 AM

Nov 2008
Didn't hate this episode. SAO's been vaguely competent this season, which is interesting to see.
Nov 19, 2018 6:33 PM

Jun 2012
papsoshea said:
He needs 2 swords.

Still cool to see similiar sword from Aincrad.

A shame he didn't test it by cleaving it with another sword xD
Nov 20, 2018 12:13 AM
Nov 2015
Skip skip skip and skip

Good job SAO
Nov 20, 2018 12:37 AM

Sep 2017
papsoshea said:
He needs 2 swords.

Still cool to see similiar sword from Aincrad.

Maybe he will get the Idea in using two swords next fight ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nov 21, 2018 1:04 PM

Dec 2010
That scene where Kirito and Eugeo look at the flowers, and then camera switches to those 2 aristocrat retards:
I'm from Poland, so i'm sorry if i make some mistakes in english sentences (including this one)
Nov 21, 2018 2:42 PM

Oct 2008
omg! i wonder what's gonna happen! I think Kirito would also be surprised if he himself would be able to defeat Levantein! and i think Kirito would also be surprised that he can also use past skills in this realm! haha
5/5.

Nov 21, 2018 10:17 PM
Jun 2017
ohh yeah!!! I LOVE THIS EPISODE as it introduces some new characters from SAO... and this time Kirito started as a trainee (not like in season 1 where he is an OP player already.. hahaha)... im excited for next weeks episode. lets see how he will fair against a first class...
Nov 22, 2018 10:42 AM

May 2016
Shit a cliffhanger damn it.

Two years passed I'm surprised that she doesn't even think about Asuna.
Nov 22, 2018 3:56 PM
Oct 2012
S
Raizel said:
Shit a cliffhanger damn it.

Two years passed I'm surprised that she doesn't even think about Asuna.

He does, tons of time, from the moment he got inside and woke up until the last he will think of her frequently in the novel.

but anime didn't even show us once lol kinda stupid imo.
Nov 22, 2018 8:21 PM

Dec 2007
Them some big family jewels kirto carries around, wonder if he can walk the walk

Nov 23, 2018 7:42 AM

Feb 2017
i believe A-1 gonna adapt the skiped content via OVA so they get some easy money LUL

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Nov 24, 2018 5:35 AM

May 2010
Certainly did not expect a time skip this soon, especially such a long one. I thought they'd take more time with it, and let us viewers learn more about this new world and Eugeo... guess there was nothing interesting enough happening to show during this time lol.

Which means more exposition delivered by Kirito, yaaaay!
Nov 24, 2018 11:54 AM
Mar 2018
I am in big disappointment sao is top anime that has no rivaling to it glory .
And what are they showing us normal base that every
Artist in anime industry can pUll of with anyone problem.
You even striped bass the main reason
You know that kirito is not a normal person
He used to fight every thung is sao.
Here her is underworld I through the process was like fire with fire .
Not fire with cry
You made kirito cry what is new in that .
We all know that kirito is
Stronger than a normal
No a few lesson to that freak of noble kid
We can we just leave a disk like below
Nov 24, 2018 1:47 PM

Mar 2013
Ugh, exposition dumps. The most unrealistic way to explain things that have happened. It'd be one thing if they discussed it more like regular people do, but the way it's usually handled in anime is like they're reading a Wikipedia entry.
Nov 24, 2018 5:59 PM
Jan 2018
Cara, quando tu olha a animação que eles fizeram, depois de vc ler a LN, fica tudo mais claro na mente.
Tiese!!!!!! SUA LINDA!!!!!!! EU TE AMO!!! CASA COMIGO!!!!
Nov 27, 2018 11:31 AM
Aug 2018
What a fucking great episode it was.
As always as always as always SAO never fails to impress, as expected of a masterpiece, such a well written story.
I now see, why it's the best selling light novel in Japan.
Japan's ranked top 3 on list of countries with highest average IQ, no wonder they know what good writing and story is.
Truly a spectacular episode, damn that cliff hanger in the end though.
Well can't wait for next episode.
Nov 27, 2018 11:32 AM
Aug 2018
No wonder some westerners can't comprehend the SAO
Dec 6, 2018 2:38 AM

Jul 2012
The animation during the spar with Liena was so good. I'm always worried that the quality is going to drop as the episodes go on since this is a 4-cour season. I hope they prove me wrong though!

Seems like they had to condense those 2 years into a few flashbacks, which is a shame. Maybe I'll go back and read that chapter. Also, rip flowers :/

That cliffhanger was brutal! On to the next episode!
Dec 9, 2018 2:22 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Kirito only looks right with a fine black sword~~
Looking really nice so far.
Jan 5, 2019 5:44 PM

Jan 2015
Very good episode. This arc is so good.
Why I feel that some scenes from LN are skipped during the timeskip?
Jan 26, 2019 3:03 AM

Jul 2009
Liena is amazing, she reminds me of Asuna...
Feb 8, 2019 4:57 AM

Mar 2014
I can't even imagine living in a strange world for 2 years without any fucking clue why I'm there or how to get out
May 5, 2019 8:40 AM

Jan 2013
Two years have already passed.
Kirito's new sword looks amazing!

OromisMasta said:

Lmfao, typical bullies :D
May 11, 2019 2:57 PM

Sep 2011
Ok Kirito, that was pretty badass.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Anyone else lowkey prefer Alice to Asuna?

Marinate1016 - Jun 25, 2019

47 by Marinate1016 »»
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

190 by fssf1606 »»
Feb 12, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.