Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 3, 2015 4:29 PM

Nov 2012
Sangaz said:
Kid on tracks, loads of time to spare, no one just quickly ducks under the barrier and grabs him...
Those nipponjins really are sticklers for rules and red lights.

Yeah that scene was a bit ridiculous.. a bunch of people still in their cars and a little kid all of them had plenty of fucking time to bail out of their vehicle before the train got there =.='
Common sense logic tells you if your stuck on a train track and the guardrails have come down you need to get the fuck outta there.

Well otherwise that was a decent enough episode. I'm extremely intersted how the dude is that good if it was his first surgery, want to know more about his background and past at some point.

Yeah that dad was a scumbag. He knew he could get away with not paying the doctor what he asked for.. then again I suppose our protag had to have been violating some proceedures doing such a risky surgery at a different hospital location and asking for a big sum of money while not really being a liscenced doctor yet (guessing since he called the intern lady senpai he's probably a first year med student or something).

EDIT: At Aqua's posting above me of mentioning black jack's philosophy that makes more sense now. I was thinking originally that black jack wasn't so much better morally than the dad if just blurted out a huge sum of money before operating.

Yeah and I also thought it was interesting that showed more fancy hand movements and calling for instruments rather than the actual surgery. It kinda makes sense since they can only show so much on regular tv I suppose, but even a few still frames of the actual surgery would have made it a bit better in that department. That being said, its not a huge complaint on my part, especially if the story and morality stuff ends up being really good and they verbally walk us through what's going on in the surgeries. Showing the gore could be a double edged sword for them b/c it might also scare away people that can't take that kinda gore from watching the anime, even if it might attract some people that want to see all the details..
midnightbladeOct 3, 2015 4:50 PM
Oct 3, 2015 4:31 PM

Jun 2014
I like the ED sequence a lot, showing the modern interpretation of the manga characters is interesting.

But pretty underwhelming first episode, not bad though.
Oct 3, 2015 4:41 PM

Nov 2012
Rance Said : "That's because they were assholes, the hospital was understaffed and they could have helped. Instead, they decide to keep protesting and turn it into a money issue. It's exactly like the ending of the episode, where the man shows he values money more so than his own commitment to paying the main character. The same can be said to the students, they trained to help people when they were injured - but they instead decided to keep protesting instead of helping a mass influx of injured people in a hospital over money.

They had a personal commitment to help injured people, they broke it for money. They're no different than the asshole dad. "

yeah that was pretty terrible on their part, in all seriousness people could have lost their lives b/c of those med students refused to stop protesting even just for the particular situation of the train incident..
Oct 3, 2015 5:01 PM

Sep 2015
Really liked this 1st episode. I think it's gonna be a really solid anime for this weak fall season.

BUT, I just wish it had a darker/serious tone to it. It has tremendous potential but the childish looking characters and, in some moments, the out-of-place background music put me down.
Still... I'm looking forward for the next ep.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2015 5:07 PM
Oct 3, 2015 5:16 PM
Apr 2014
Memphis21 said:
Really liked this 1st episode. I think it's gonna be a really solid anime for this weak fall season.

BUT, I just wish it had a darker/serious tone to it. It has tremendous potential but the childish looking characters and, in some moments, the out-of-place background music put me down.
Still... I'm looking forward for the next ep.

Don't worry when it gets to the arcs that are during the Vietnam War things will get pretty serious. Let's just say YBJ is a bit more realistic compared to Black Jack.

Also I believe they didn't show the gore with child because censorship is pretty strict with children. But I guess we will see, anyway isn't this aired daytime?
Oct 3, 2015 5:49 PM

Jun 2014
hoopla123 said:
This is what you call anime of the year material.

This is probably AOTY for me.

In what way?

You haven't even watched a Black Jack series before this, I don't see how this would impress anyone. This was almost the definition of a pilot episode.
Oct 3, 2015 6:01 PM

Dec 2008
Seriously, Hazama...JUST GET IN MY BED ALREADY!

Oct 3, 2015 6:04 PM

Apr 2013
Jerkhov said:
hoopla123 said:

In what way?

You haven't even watched a Black Jack series before this, I don't see how this would impress anyone. This was almost the definition of a pilot episode.

Based on what I've seen so far for this year, I just have a feeling.
Oct 3, 2015 6:07 PM
Apr 2014
Jerkhov said:
hoopla123 said:

In what way?

Just like how some immediately say the first episode of OnePunch Man is AOTS. If someone finds it really enjoyable I can see why. Plus the episode for YBJ was pretty great as well.
Oct 3, 2015 6:10 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Rance-sama said:

Thanks, after typing in the doctor registration law 1968 I got a bunch of information, like this:

Sounds pretty fucking brutal, it helps me understand the context of the story a lot better.

Oh interesting, thanks for sharing. That's definitely helpful information.
Oct 3, 2015 6:23 PM

Jul 2009
I'm impressed.

(i knew that stank father was gonna go back on the price)
Oct 3, 2015 6:45 PM

Mar 2014
sorry but this one is not even as good as the old one from 2004,especially the art style
and i dont get it why they have to show black jack half naked . want to boost sales from fujoshi?
ButtSlapperOct 3, 2015 6:50 PM
Oct 3, 2015 7:01 PM
Apr 2014
baoxiang008 said:
sorry but this one is not even as good as the old one from 2004,especially the art style
and i dont get it why they have to show black jack half naked . want to boost sales from fujoshi?

Brah it's only just been one episode.

I'm straight but what's wrong with Manservice?
Oct 3, 2015 8:12 PM

Nov 2014
ZoroZoldyck said:
Since so many people seem like they're enjoying it, I think I'll also start this show.
I'll edit my comment to put my thoughts later.

(The "Shots" are also interesting xD)
I've just added the OVAs to my Plan to Watch.
Any people seen those OVAs? I read some reviews and most seem positive.

I definitely seen them all. XD

Because the OVAs are so good! ^v^

“The dreams and ideals we believe in, seem they might just fall apart if we take our eyes off them.”
Oct 3, 2015 9:48 PM

Jul 2012
My impression went from: "lol this is so unrealistic" to "whoa! this shit is good" near the end of the surgery, and especially when we saw that Black Jack was still shaking after his first surgery. That scene when the father of the patient gave him the money and threatened to report him... My heart ached a bit for BJ. :( Poor boy didn't get any credit for saving his son.

Anticipating the next ep!

OP is great, ED is nice too!

One more thing: God bless Umehara for voicing BJ. His voice is great here!!!
Oct 3, 2015 9:54 PM

Aug 2013
baoxiang008 said:

Unless you only watched the 2004 TV Series, why the hell are you even complaining about it here ? The OVA also has some Black Jack manservices.
Oct 3, 2015 10:00 PM

Jul 2012
baoxiang008 said:
want to boost sales from fujoshi?

they don't even need a short scene with abs
you already have umehara and suwabe in the cast. thats an instant buy from my people
Oct 3, 2015 10:05 PM
Apr 2014
Is YBJ airing Daytime or at night?
Oct 3, 2015 10:10 PM

Jul 2015
Good! Good! Haven't seen the original series, and all I know is this guy's an iconic name in the manga industry.
Great OP and ED!

Oh and with the episode. Damn that old man! Screwing him up after saving the boy's arm and leg. People like them need to die lol

What I don't understand is the vines wrapping him up from time to time? Is there something important about this??

Looking forward to finish this show!

Oct 3, 2015 10:58 PM

Apr 2012
This was alright. Seems really unrealistic and over-dramatic. It's like a surgical battle shounen LOL. A student being able to reattach limbs and repair major structural and nerve damage on his first surgery is beyond ridiculous lol. My favorite character is the doctor getting high off morphine.

Oct 3, 2015 11:04 PM

Nov 2013
Extremely excited for this series! It looks really promising and it looks great. I haven't seen the series but I probably will after this prequel.
Oct 4, 2015 12:00 AM

Mar 2015
As a fellow medical student who've read all the original Blackjack manga, I find this whole medical thingy even more damn hilarious in anime form. Hazama, you're so full of shit. But it is a fun series as always.
KotobakayaroOct 4, 2015 12:06 AM

Oct 4, 2015 12:24 AM
May 2009
GuidedCursor said:
As a fellow medical student who've read all the original Blackjack manga, I find this whole medical thingy even more damn hilarious in anime form. Hazama, you're so full of shit. But it is a fun series as always.

THANK YOU.
Oct 4, 2015 12:35 AM

Jul 2011
LOL. That's a fabulous first surgery. Not remotely realistic, but hey that's entertainment for ya.

Hazama manservice, hahaha.

I liked the ED sequence, showing the modern design of characters. Hazama is really out of place though. :P
Oct 4, 2015 2:40 AM

Nov 2012
Well how are they going to change anything if they don't do anything and not go on strikes? And no point doing strikes if you'll stop striking whenever you're needed. Ridiculous they'd act like a gang trying to force scare him into joining them though.

Also, when it comes to his points about people being more important than money, if the family of those people don't agree to pay beforehand, does that mean he won't help them? Because I'm going to find it quite gross if his ideals about how people shouldn't value money over people leads to him valuing his personal vendetta against money over people in utter hypocrisy.

Yeah the dad is an ass, not particular because he didn't pay if he couldn't, but because of the look on his face implied he was happy about not paying him despite his words.

To the person who asked, I don't know much about it, but I assume the thorns/vines and stuff on his head was meant to be Jesus related symbolism as I've seen the crown of thorns before involving Jesus.

I liked this episode.
EpicenterOct 4, 2015 2:55 AM
Jaywalker.
Oct 4, 2015 3:41 AM

Mar 2011
Well... It's one of the best episodes of the fall. Falling quality for anime industry
Oct 4, 2015 4:04 AM

Aug 2014
Very incredible seeing Kazama-san operating a kid who has lost his arm and leg.
For the first episode that was very good! ^.^ Hope the entire serie will be such good then this episode.
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Oct 4, 2015 5:46 AM
Aug 2015
For all people complain about the art style of this series, please find the Young Black Jack Manga and read it. The art from the manga and the anime are basically the same. This is not a work from Tezuka Osamu. It is written by Yoshiaki Tabata and illustrated by Yuugo Okuma.
8/10, too much manservice for me :D. The story is good, it will get serious, especially in Vietnam War arc, trust me ^^
Oct 4, 2015 6:29 AM

Oct 2013
Hmm a little bored for me though I like the art. I won't be continuing.
Oct 4, 2015 6:41 AM

Nov 2013
mayukachan said:

He should be referred to as YBJ at the very least, cause you know... BJ...
Oct 4, 2015 8:04 AM

Dec 2013
Beautiful start. I'm going to enjoy this show quite a bit I think.
That kids father pissed me off so much though....
HESTIAAPPROVES
Oct 4, 2015 8:30 AM

Jul 2013
Amazing! I can't believe I didn't see the orginal Black Jack anywhere. This most certainly has a lot of potential.
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Oct 4, 2015 9:53 AM
Jul 2018
Smudy said:
Best first episode of the season so far. That was really cool and full of suspense. The main character rocks.

I sat here with an open mouth when the scumbag father did that to him. Fuck this guy.

Pretty much the same. ^^

Cool op and ed
Oct 4, 2015 11:14 AM

Dec 2014
Very good start. I like that the main character is not cocky.
Oct 4, 2015 12:05 PM

Apr 2014
Well...this was kinda weird. Not sure if in a good way or bad lol.
Oct 4, 2015 12:31 PM
May 2007
Hazama is such the ikemen, everything about him is PERFECT I'm already a fangirl ♥
I want more topless Hazama to feast on. His piercing gaze and shaking scenes did me wonders.
Oct 4, 2015 2:33 PM

Oct 2011
Wow that Father pissed me off.
Oct 4, 2015 2:54 PM

Apr 2015
That was fun. I'm not really familiar with Black Jack. Hopefully they'll go a bit into his back story and reasons for being a genius surgeon even as a student.

The story in general was good, but I guess it's not really about the medical procedures themselves.
Oct 4, 2015 3:37 PM

Apr 2011
Very good first episode the main character got ripped off I would have been mad as hell too
Oct 4, 2015 7:18 PM

Feb 2014
Rather dramatic, made me laugh a bit but its fine.
The episode preview has me excited for the next episode.
Oct 4, 2015 7:30 PM

Jul 2012
HandsomeMan said:
mayukachan said:

He should be referred to as YBJ at the very least, cause you know... BJ...

Get your mind out of the gutter!
Oct 4, 2015 8:46 PM

Jun 2012
OP/ED were great. The surgery scene was pretty lame tho.
Oct 4, 2015 11:00 PM

Jan 2011
Black Jack seems kinda cool never seen the older stuff but i like this only issue i had was the whole train scene was pretty stupid ton of time for people to grab the kid let allowed him getting off his damn bike unless he was somehow stuck on the track.

granted how disgusting actual Surgery i'm glad not much was shown but kinda wanted something a bit more engaging to look at then some fancy sitching
Oct 4, 2015 11:27 PM

Apr 2012
after the first 4 minutes... really pissed me off so much. i couldnt watch the rest of the episode because i was furious..
who the hell watches a small kid, with his bike stuck on the train tracks and just stands there, looking at the oncoming train about to run him down.. i mean really WTF
of course you can already foresee the future about what will happen. but that seriously frustrates me... there was plenty and i mean PLENTY OF TIME.. too F************ GRAB the kid... and pull him out.. i mean seriously.. yell at the kid to just run.. fdgvagqhavs soo annoyed.
so mad typing this.
Oct 5, 2015 12:12 AM

Mar 2012
A Shounen about a young man being a surgeon? What madness is this? lol.
Pretty good episode and the anime has promise. Haven't seen or read the originals so hoping this is as good as they seemed to be.

Also the father of the son is a complete monster. Only the lowest of scum would rip off and also threaten the guy who just saved your son's leg and arm.
Oct 5, 2015 3:39 AM

Feb 2015
Watching this while eating ...... MAINSTREAM:D

It was a good episode. The OP though. Feel kinda weird but it was nice.
Oct 5, 2015 4:28 AM
Jul 2018
Lupta said:
after the first 4 minutes... really pissed me off so much. i couldnt watch the rest of the episode because i was furious..
who the hell watches a small kid, with his bike stuck on the train tracks and just stands there, looking at the oncoming train about to run him down.. i mean really WTF
of course you can already foresee the future about what will happen. but that seriously frustrates me... there was plenty and i mean PLENTY OF TIME.. too F************ GRAB the kid... and pull him out.. i mean seriously.. yell at the kid to just run.. fdgvagqhavs soo annoyed.
so mad typing this.

It's all for the sake of the plot. It was stupid, I facepalmed so hard.
Oct 5, 2015 4:58 AM

Apr 2012
yuliyana29 said:
Lupta said:
so mad typing this.

It's all for the sake of the plot. It was stupid, I facepalmed so hard.

i know its all for the sake of the plot, with the jerk ignorant father aswell, but still couldnt they make a situation where noone was around, it was just a kid riding his bike, and the breaks couldnt work and he couldnt stop in time and rode into the train or car... something that doesnt make humanity look completely useless and look only after themselves like selfish pricks...
Oct 5, 2015 6:07 AM
Nov 2009
'Young' Black Jack is too...bishie for my taste ahaha, I could barely count finish the eyelashes on the close ups.

Here's to the upcoming episodes being even better.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Thoughts on Young Black Jack

Hydre_Ito - Sep 19, 2020

4 by removed-user »»
Nov 10, 2022 6:21 AM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2015

74 by Delgear »»
Nov 11, 2021 2:25 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2015

50 by gl1tchedshad0ws »»
Jul 22, 2021 5:19 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2015

125 by gl1tchedshad0ws »»
Jul 20, 2021 4:49 PM

» Could I watch this without watching the original anime?

Kamirator - Apr 23, 2021

4 by Kamirator »»
Apr 25, 2021 3:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.